The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The we're on our way back -Bradford Thread

3 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The we're on our way back -Bradford Thread Empty The we're on our way back -Bradford Thread

Post by Luke Sun 08 Apr 2018, 11:36 pm

Just for you Beast.

Things going well on and off the pitch, promotion back up to the Championship hopefully.

And stupids rows with Workington what else could you want.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

The we're on our way back -Bradford Thread Empty Re: The we're on our way back -Bradford Thread

Post by The Beast Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:58 am

Hopefully promoted yes.

The Workington streaming row is interesting and I was intending to ask the question, Bradford want to stream games to increase general interest Workington want to protect their own interests who is right?

What else could I want is a win today which we didn't get, a late drop goal taking it for Workington. Always tough in Cumbria and they have Ryan Bailey, Oliver Wilkes, Jordan Tansey and plenty of experience on a small pitch. Apparently controversy over the drop goal that appeared to go wide but due to issues above we'll never know! Listening to radio commentary they probably deserved to win, Bulls guilty to trying too hard at times.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

The we're on our way back -Bradford Thread Empty Re: The we're on our way back -Bradford Thread

Post by Luke Mon 09 Apr 2018, 4:03 am

I take full responsibility for today's loss, by starting this thread seems I have jinxed them sorry.

As for the row, I tend to think it's a bit of a nothing row. I can see Workington point to try and get more money into the club. And they were never really getting any benefit from this.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 09 Apr 2018, 6:41 am

Yes today's result is your fault, send £5 at your earliest convenience!!!!

The streaming issue is a tricky one, similar to other clubs complaining last year that Toronto (I think unless mistaken) had a TV deal and assumed all clubs would simply allow cameras at grounds. Andrew Chalmers has done a great job of re-starting the Bulls if however I was the Workington chairman I would posted his comments on the changing rooms wall and basically said "go get them". Perhaps a toned down comment would have been more appropriate.

On this thread I will mention the club are pushing the Women's game particularly next weekend's opener v Leeds at Odsal almost as the main event after the men's team play Coventry.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 19 Apr 2018, 12:52 am

Strong Bradford Bulls on AND OFF the pitch can only be an asset to Rugby League

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 02 May 2018, 11:47 pm

That York results really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons. They're looking really good (helped by being in DR with Rovers and the link up of the 2 clubs).
No one else seems to be consistent enough to put in a strong challenge though Donny doing alright. Shame about the bottom half of the table being so bad, hard to see them helping anyone out.

Given how the championship is going, it's good that you started in this league to rebuild the squad. By next year I think you'll be back to being competitive again in what should again be a tough championship
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 03 May 2018, 7:19 am

Luke wrote:That York results really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons. They're looking really good (helped by being in DR with Rovers and the link up of the 2 clubs).
No one else seems to be consistent enough to put in a strong challenge though Donny doing alright. Shame about the bottom half of the table being so bad, hard to see them helping anyone out.

Given how the championship is going, it's good that you started in this league to rebuild the squad. By next year I think you'll be back to being competitive again in what should again be a tough championship  

I suspect there is no much of a gap between the bottom of the Championship and the top of League 1. As you mention York benefit greatly from DR and were unlucky not to get at least a point v Bradford in week 1. Bradford have Jy Hitchox and James Lathwaite on loan, good news although IMO both are too good for League 1 and for Bradford wing/second row seem already well catered for.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 03 May 2018, 11:08 am

I think your right about there not being to much of a gap between bottom of the championship and top league 1. In fact you could argue there's more of a gap between the top and bottoms of each division.

I think Bradford have a few players probably 2 good for league 1 (Greg McNally, Ethanol Ryan amongst others), .
But as a neutral it's nice to see a competitive division rather than the walk overs the last couple of years have been.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 07 May 2018, 5:28 am

Good game to miss Beast.

Where's I picked a bad game to go to.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 07 May 2018, 6:45 pm

I have seen the stream, very strange to watch. Credit to Bradford very professional and also to West Wales who despite the scoreline did not give up but when you only have 12 or so sets all match you will be exhausted.

Very surprised by your result, saw the h/t score and thought you might win I am guessing the scoreline did not reflect the game as it does not when one side gets momentum.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 08 May 2018, 1:53 am

You did what you had to. And deserve credit for that.
But these scorelines don't really help anyone, you get a points average up, but would have probably been better served with a training session. West Wales lose more of everything. When you see not just your score but Keighley's as well, you realise something needs to be done.

Our game was decent first half which we probably just shaded it (there were some poor decisions from the officals). 2nd half we just didn't turn up. Wakefield are a better side than have turned up this season. But we we're garbage at the start of the half, and we're never going to get back in it. Wasn't helped by some very strange team selections (our Sr started at center, while our center started at wing, while our winger was on the bench. Our sh started at hooker whilst our hooked started at sh). Could be playing you again next year.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 08 May 2018, 2:19 am

I do agree, those scores are good for no-one (apart from Dane Chisholm's record 20 of 21 successful kicks, a number of which were from the touchline). James Laithwaite's loan has been extended to the rest of the season.

The warning for Bradford is York following the 144 - 0 scraping past Hunslet, promotion is not a foregone conclusion. Good result for North Wales turning Whitehaven over in a surprise.

Hope the second half did not spoil your special occasion too much. I do think you will be in the middle 8's which will be very competitive but I think there are more likely candidates to be relegated i.e. Widnes, Huddersfield and Catalans. I am aware some think 2 SL sides could come down I question if the championship sides will batter themselves to a standstill in an attempt to make the 8's and ideally top 2 for the four home games.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 08 May 2018, 7:40 am

That's the thing. Between the high scores there have been some good results. And decent games, trouble is the high scores are what is noticed.

As for Rovers, I enjoyed the day up till then. And to be honest I don't see them enough to not enjoy watching them regardless.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 13 May 2018, 5:41 pm

Bulls beat London Skolars 54 - 16 at Odsal, scoreline did not reflect the game whilst Dane Chisholm didn't bring this same kicking boots from last week however it is was a mediocre game and performance from Bradford. Skolars scored a very well worked try in the first half and gave Bradford plenty to think about, improvement needed at Newcastle Friday night who have apparently already sold (not including Bulls fans) 3000 tickets.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 19 May 2018, 7:18 pm

Bulls beat Newcastle last night but scratchy is putting it mildly numerous handling errors, gifting field position. At 12 - 24 they looked good, hardly completed a set thereafter only great defence from Ethan Ryan and Brandon Pickersgill (another very good academy prospect) saving tries and some very skillfiul play from Dane Chisholm winning the game.

Credit to Newcastle, played the game like a cup final, led 12 = 0 early on having blitzed Bradford, Theerapol Ritson (Full back) a real handful and their young half back Lewis Young looks a genuine talent. Great marketing off the pitch, a new record 4100 in attendance.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 28 May 2018, 6:59 pm

Watched the stream of the game at Hemel yesterday, to be honest an average performance from the kick-off played like they knew the final score. Granted a hot day and the grass was far too long making PTB tricky. Afternoon highlight, a cracking try from young full back Brandon Pickersgill who continues to impress.

York losing at Whitehaven a big bonus, Bradford travel there in a couple of weeks and need to avoid falling down the same trap. These "easier" games can result in bad habits IMO and since West Wales the error count has certainly risen and needs to be coached back out.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 18 Jun 2018, 3:33 am

Very hard fought win today, only Whitehaven 3rd home defeat in around 20. Still too many dumb errors and penalties but credit to Whitehaven, they'd give anyone a game at their place particularly on a wet & windy day like today.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 18 Jun 2018, 4:15 am

Think it's a good win for you today.

Oldham going well, York still up there. But tend to think it's now in your hands.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 23 Jun 2018, 8:44 pm

At the half way mark of the season, in a good position with however plenty of work to do. There are a number of games that with respect should be comfortable wins however both Cumbrian sides (thankfully both H), Doncaster (H), tomorrow, Oldham (A) and York (H) will not be and if they keep making dumb errors some losses will follow.

I expect York & Oldham in particular to win most of their games, Oldham will be away at York for their return fixture.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 24 Jun 2018, 1:18 am

I think part of your problem is the easier games. When it doesn't really matter how you play, because your going to get the win regardless.
The fixtures have fallen well for you, with most of the games at home. That's got to be a help.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 24 Jun 2018, 1:40 am

Luke wrote:I think part of your problem is the easier games. When it doesn't really matter how you  play, because your going to get the win regardless.
The fixtures have fallen well for you, with most of the games at home. That's got to be a help.

Agreed, I have mentioned the issue of an easy run of fixtures previously and there is an interview with Dane Chisholm who pretty well said the same thing (5:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eegu5pvuJOo

IMO since the West Wales game the error count has increased at times alarmingly, Newcastle away for example was hard to watch I'd be surprised if the completion rate in the second half was more than a third. Do that against Doncaster, York, Oldham you are going to be rolled over.

The good news is that Kear is possibly the perfect coach for this team and yes, most of the tougher games will be at Odsal.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 25 Jun 2018, 3:29 am

I know that you've not been to any games But I presume you've watched most if not all games.

What do you think you need should you go up? Is the squad good enough to stay up?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 08 Jul 2018, 12:32 am

No I have not been it has been a frustrating summer. My life is dominated by work at present which is every bit as pants as that sounds, 50+ hours per week (public sector = no overtime but it has to get done). On I have also having a new Central Heating system (Combi boiler) which is obviously expensive (moan over).

I have seen the majority of games they are winning but could and need to be better particularly Hunslet (A), York (H) and Oldham (H).

IF they can win those next 2 games they SHOULD really be promoted however as it stands with some of their performances I do not think that it is a foregone conclusion. Coventry (A) first half was absolute garbage and Kear rightly ripped into them at the interval.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 08 Jul 2018, 3:39 am

[quote="The Beast"]No I have not been it has been a frustrating summer.  My life is dominated by work at present which is every bit as pants as that sounds, 50+ hours per week (public sector = no overtime but it has to get done).  On I have also having a new Central Heating system (Combi boiler) which is obviously expensive (moan over).

Know this one. As that been my life for the last few years.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:15 am

Big game tomorrow v York who have 3 on DR from Hull KR (Marsh, Walne & Johnson) I suspect a tight very competitive game in front of a big crowd (for League 1). Unlikely to be able to go, anything changes I am in the car.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 24 Jul 2018, 1:36 am

Bad luck yesterday. From what I've heard you just didn't turn up in the 1st half. And left yourselves to much to do. Although you nearly managed it.
Great crowd for league 1 standards.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 24 Jul 2018, 5:30 am

Pretty well spot on Luke, all the mistakes they have been making of late burned them yesterday, slow start, 9 handling errors in the first half a lot in our half. Take nothing away from York they were excellent particularly in the first half and deserved the win despite the great come back, Ethan Ryan's amazing try will hopefully be on You Tube and I will post it.

6471 was the attendance, there are SL teams who would be pleased with that.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 24 Jul 2018, 5:52 am

Highlights below, Ethan Ryan's try at the 3:50 mark, not sure this angle does it justice, at that point I thought the Bulls would go through them but the break away try was a killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzW4SKGv1a4

NO complaints over the result the best side won but 17 penalties conceded by York no team warning let alone a sin bin?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 30 Jul 2018, 2:31 am

Decent win and performance yesterday at London. Very windy conditions making it awkward, some dumb errors (wouldn't the same without) but mostly positive. Whilst 138 ahead on points difference York have Coventry, North Wales and West Wales to come so I expect that gap to disappear soon......for now.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 30 Jul 2018, 5:09 am

They knocked 62 off it today, going to be really tight but still think you'll do it.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 20 Aug 2018, 3:03 am

Luke wrote:They knocked 62 off it today, going to be really tight but still think you'll do it.

York now top after a disasterous home defeat to Workington. Some will blame the ref (yes the game was officiated horribly, how it took 70 minutes to sin bin anyone is beyond me) but it was obvious that Workington would try to make it slow and niggly but at 18 - 12 up they simply stopped playing and the game riddled with basic errors and poor last play options. Unlucky at 18 - 12 when a Workington kick hit the ref leading to a scrum 10 yards out that they scored from but no excuses they deserved to win Jamie Doran and Tyler Dickinson were excellent.

Relying now on the play-offs where anything can happen.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 22 Aug 2018, 2:45 am

That was a bad result for you.
But on the bright side, don't you still have to play West Wales and York still have to go to Workington. So all may not be lost yet.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 22 Aug 2018, 8:57 am

See you aquired Jane Webster from Castle on a 2 year deal.
Very good center, ideal for a winger. Not as fast as he used to be with us. But still a good signing.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 23 Aug 2018, 7:22 am

Luke wrote:That was a bad result for you.
But on the bright side, don't you still have to play West Wales and York still have to go to Workington. So all may not be lost yet.

No, there are 4 games to go and Workington away is not an easy game for anyone when they in any sort of form however I suspect York will not slip up at this late stage. Secondly Bradford have a tough game at Oldham and if they play as they did on Sunday it will be at best tight. The recent Whitehaven game is a good example of recent play 46 - 0 sounds good against a decent side however they were missing key players and the game was awful, riddled with errors whilst in possession, the tries coming from individual talent rather than the team creating and exploiting space.

If however it is the playoffs they should get a semi and final at Odsal where there can be no excuses to achieve promotion but I have never assumed they would go up and still don't.

Webster is a terrific signing, hopefully someone will pass him the ball in some sort of space. Tuoyo Egodo is on loan from Cas. Hell of handful but he rarely gets the ball without the touchline in sight everything on his inside crabs sideways and so does the opposition defence.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 24 Aug 2018, 1:20 am

From what I understand . You've been dragged down a bit to your opponents level. But there's also been a bit of arrogance. Which the team hasn't warranted. If you don't get up this season. You should next as it will probably be a weaker division. But you got to wonder what knock on effect this will have on the club and fans
I still think you'll do it. But how next seasons pans out could be very intresting.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 24 Aug 2018, 5:09 am

I think you correct in a lot there Luke. John Kear has commented on the ruck speed several times however on Sunday it was Workington with a referee who we've seen before 3 - 4 times this season and rightly or wrongly it should have been obvious that the rucks would be slow.

i was going to comment that the playoffs might mean a chance for me to go as I might actually get some time off work (September's plans have bitten the dust) however it all might now be irrelevant if this madness does occur;

http://www.totalrl.com/exclusive-proposals-tabled-for-14-team-championship-in-2019-with-three-up-from-l1/

OK it's not a disaster but would leave a unpleasant whiff of B/S. No relegation from the Championship being complete B/S.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 24 Aug 2018, 8:18 am

I can see some benefits. And think part of this is down to fear. If the middle 8's change next year. A club with a decent travelling support like Bradford would ease most clubs and help with a monetary solution.
But to change it this late in the season is just desperation. And like you say stinks.
And if your going to do it. Have the top 3 go up, rather than a farce of a play off.
To be honest, all of the constent harping about expansion (replacing clubs in SL), changing the goalposts. Constent structure changes that benefit clubs and not the sport etc is beginning to bring me down.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 01 Sep 2018, 9:44 pm

See you bought in James Green from Cas. When at Rovers he started off very well. And looked a real prospect. But slightly loved his way. And since he left has hardly played.
If Kear can get him back. Then you've got a good forward, who will give you a lot of good forward, and an okay offload.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 01 Sep 2018, 11:42 pm

Luke wrote:See you bought in James Green from Cas. When at Rovers he started off very well. And looked a real prospect. But slightly loved his way. And since he left has hardly played.
If Kear can get him back. Then you've got a good forward, who will give you a lot of good forward, and an okay offload.

He has been on loan for the past few weeks and yes he has had an impact. Like the rest struggled last week but clearly difficult for L1 forwards to handle. Just need to get others on his shoulder when he bursts through the other side of collisions for off-loads. Another good signing, I was wondering why only 1 year but you may have answered that and perhaps they are trying to maintain his motivation.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 02 Sep 2018, 6:13 pm

I forgot to add that Callum Bustin has also signed having been on loan, another good signing who has done well. Built like a bear ideal for which ever division the club are in next year.

Keighley at home today, no Dane Chisholm which is interesting if he is fit. They should win albeit their coach is making noises suggesting they will make it physical and slow (presumably he saw the Workington game). Due to work/other commitments I will hopefully watch the game back........Tues/Weds. York away to Workington whom I doubt but could do us a favour today.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 06 Sep 2018, 3:45 am

Bulls beat Keighley 54 - 4 on Sunday. On the plus side there were some nice tries however ball retention is nothing short of village green standards at time. They were fortunate that the Cougars are so short on players and understandably did not offer a huge threat ball in hand as they gifted them possession in Bulls half numerous times, clearly not learning from the York and Workington defeats.

Keighley had a player send off, full credit to the referee and linesman for this and stamping down on foul play early on in the game making at least periods of the game watchable.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 10 Sep 2018, 3:51 am

Credit to York winning another very tight game this time Oldham at home. They should now finish top, Bulls beating West Wales 104 - 0, pretty well meaningless. Oldham away next week which will be a tough game with the home side needing to win in the very tight race for playoff places.

All eyes to Friday and the EGM where it is understood a vote on the change in Championship structure will take place. Personally I would like to see Bradford in the playoffs and hopefully play and beat Workington to dispel any doubts.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 11 Sep 2018, 3:22 am

If they going to change it. I hope that it's at the end of next season.
Bradford are obviously very beneficial for the championship. But if they go up this way, sort of feels like they cheated. If they win the play offs they deserve to go up.

Can't help but wonder if Bradford were walking away with it. Weather this would be bought up before the end of the season.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 11 Sep 2018, 4:32 am

It would leave an odd taste in the mouth for sure, as mentioned I would prefer the playoffs which they should get through. At the end of the day every club can vote (I think SL clubs get two so I think it is 50*) and they will make the decision.

I do not think this has anything to do with who is top of League 1 it is politically smoothing the way for changes to SL from next season. You make an argument the biggest impact is on Rochdale/Swinton, one of whom is potentially going to benefit more than anyone.

* I have heard 55 but who where the other 5 are from I have no idea, maybe they just drag some random passers-by in?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 11 Sep 2018, 6:23 am

With success coming on the field lets hope that the Bulls can return to Super League, and at the same time don't waste money on some overseas so called stars.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 11 Sep 2018, 9:54 am

Don't get me wrong. I think Bradford being back will be a great thing for the championship. Both in terms of attendances, prestige and for the club.
It's just the way again, just if Rovers stayed up because of a change.
When you start taking these things from the field. The sport suffers more.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 15 Sep 2018, 10:24 pm

Bulls sign Jon Magrin on a one year deal from 2019. Magrin was at the club during the disaster that was 2017, hopefully which ever division the club are in will be a happier time.

Pleased that the team will have to "earn" their promotion via the playoffs (assuming York do not slip up which to be fair looks unlikely given their fixtures).

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 22 Sep 2018, 7:19 pm

Bulls have added David Foggin-Johnston (Wing) to the ranks for next year from Hunslet on a one year deal with an option to extend. I have seen him play, physically on the slight side but quick and plays no-one has told him other players out-weigh him by 20 pounds.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 24 Sep 2018, 4:00 am

The Beast wrote:Bulls have added David Foggin-Johnston (Wing) to the ranks for next year from Hunslet on a one year deal with an option to extend.  I have seen him play, physically on the slight side but quick and plays no-one has told him other players out-weigh him by 20 pounds.
Other teams no doubt will try and take advantage of his slight build, with attacks aimed in his direction, but if it all goes wrong for the attacking team its try time for him and the Bulls

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 24 Sep 2018, 5:50 am

Play-offs next. Oldham at Home in the semi-final. My feelings are similar to Luke's regarding KR. Bradford should have won the league, blowing it in key fixtures particularly Workington. Take nothing away from them but on both occasions the Bulls were sucked in to playing completely the wrong game.

The ball handling issues have haunted them all season, promotion may well come down to how well they take care of possession. They should get through the playoffs but they should be playing in them so who knows, simply must stop dropping the ball particularly coming away from the line.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next