The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...

+6
munkian
PhilBB
Intotouch
yappysnap
RiscaGame
No9
10 posters

Go down

Judgement Day... Keep it going or make this the last.

Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...  Vote_lcap71%Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...  Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 5 ]
Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...  Vote_lcap29%Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...  Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 7

Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...  Empty Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...

Post by No9 Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:37 pm

Judgement Day 1 was great, 2 was a good day out and 3 was enjoyable. But, has this double header run its course.

How many will be going along and staying in the ground for BOTH fixtures.

Judgement day 4 was the final straw for me, where the support for the first game (Blues v Ospreys) was good but the stadium didn't have that much atmosphere with most Dragons and Scarlets fans deciding it was better (and cheaper) having a few more beers before going to the ground and hence not there for the first game. Then, during the second game, those Blues and Osprey fans who stayed, lost interest in the second game and started their own competition on who could get their paper plane (made from pages of the programmes) closest to the centre of the field.

Basically, what was initially a great marketing exercise with a derby double header had lost its way. As such I wont be attending this again. Dont get me wrong, its fantastic value for 2 games of rugby, but I think as a a spectacle its had its day and we'd better off reverting to a simple home ground derby.

Thoughts..

No9

Back to top Go down

Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...  Empty Re: Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...

Post by RiscaGame Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:04 pm

I would prefer our game at Dave, seeing as Dragons are always home. I'd love to see how many casual supporters are attracted to RP on the back of a day on the pop in Caerdydd. I would wager nil.

The day is horrendous. Similar gate to an international, without the extra train carriages that you get on one of those days. I will always vote for 8500 supporters in RP for a home game, rather than 60000 tops who on the whole aren't particularly invested in the games.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...  Empty Re: Judgement Day VI - Is it IV to many...

Post by yappysnap Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:30 am

We get this in the Prem with the London double header. It's just a mess usually and all you end with is two games with poor atmosphere and I imagine no real increase on ticket sales off the back of it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:01 am

Do they make money? If so they'll go on forever. What's the roman numeral for eternity?

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:17 am

Ah yeah, it's bound to be a handy money spinner for the WRU.

It will be interesting to see what it is like this year with Dragons playing first, as the other times I have gone we have been second. This may be the first time I watch both games in the stadium.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 am

It makes money for the two home teams. I'm not sure it makes money for the WRU.

There is one more year left on the present contract and then the likelihood is that the "home" team will not always be Cardiff and the Dragons. The other two have seen the figures and fancy some of it themselves.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:17 am

Will be nice to actually play the Turks at Rodney parade for once, some of them even wear shoes.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:32 am

You going Sat munk? I'll get you a lovely pint of fosters... Erm
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 am

Breadvan wrote:You going Sat munk? I'll get you a lovely pint of fosters... Erm

Damn, I'm in Berlin I'm afraid, will have to settle for the swill over there Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Lovely pint of fosters seems a bit of an oxymoron Wink

Interesting to read about the home games possibly alternating. I think I would be more of a fan of the whole thing then. I’m aware that Dragons aren’t in a position to turn down money often, but gates and money don’t matter when we go on our jollies outside of Newport, so they shouldn’t now.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:33 pm

I bet there'll be a lot more people there next year when the games are no longer on free-to-view television

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Ha. Fair point.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Scarpia wrote:I bet there'll be a lot more people there next year when the games are no longer on free-to-view television

Nah. I reckon it will make little difference. I just can’t see many (perhaps some) armchair TV fans being driven through the turnstiles when it’s not on TV. I suspect armchair fans are armchair fans because they’d prefer not to go out, cant get there (distance, transport, etc) or can’t (commitments or physically), or are not really that interested in actually attending. They’ll just watch something else instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:50 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Scarpia wrote:I bet there'll be a lot more people there next year when the games are no longer on free-to-view television

Nah. I reckon it will make little difference. I just can’t see many (perhaps some) armchair TV fans being driven through the turnstiles when it’s not on TV. I suspect armchair fans are armchair fans because they’d prefer not to go out, cant get there (distance, transport, etc) or can’t (commitments or physically), or are not really that interested in actually attending. They’ll just watch something else instead.

"They" might not even know it's on in future as it probably won't get advertised beforehand and bigged up on the gravy channel. It's a crock of cunk anyway and it seems there are are loads of other Welsh clubs playing this afternoon as usual while their reejuns are in Cardiff.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

"They" might not even know it's on in future as it probably won't get advertised beforehand and bigged up on the gravy channel. It's a crock of cunk anyway and it seems there are are loads of other Welsh clubs playing this afternoon as usual while their reejuns are in Cardiff.

I was talking more about Pro14 attendances in general rather than judgement day, but yes I agree. Live broadcasting on terrestrial tv does give a platform for advertising upcoming games that might encourage a few fans to attend in person. We’ll have to rely on the billboards - for the Dragons there’s a few dotted around; one stuck on the side of the scrap metal factory by Sainsbury’s and one stuck on the entrance of Discount Tyres! Prime locations!

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Have to say the tiny rebel is a great pub. Great ales

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:52 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Have to say the tiny rebel is  a great pub. Great ales

If you get chance to try the actual Tiny Rebel brewery in Newport you should give it a go. Lovely set up and great range of ales. A bit out of town though but worth it. Strong ales mind you. I struggle with them these days!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:58 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

I was talking more about Pro14 attendances in general rather than judgement day, but yes I agree. Live broadcasting on terrestrial tv does give a platform for advertising upcoming games that might encourage a few fans to attend in person. We’ll have to rely on the billboards - for the Dragons there’s a few dotted around; one stuck on the side of the scrap metal factory by Sainsbury’s and one stuck on the entrance of Discount Tyres! Prime locations!

55,000 in MS today. If only the regions had that sort of total attendance every game they might not need to sell their product to pay-per-view. Regarding advertising, is there still hope that BBC/S4C will be able to show a highlights programme?

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:40 am

55,000 in the absolute loosest of senses though.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:38 am

RiscaGame wrote:55,000 in the absolute loosest of senses though.
You'll have to explain that one.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 am

Scarpia wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

55,000 in MS today. If only the regions had that sort of total attendance every game they might not need to sell their product to pay-per-view. Regarding advertising, is there still hope that BBC/S4C will be able to show a highlights programme?

I hope not.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 am

Plus a massive flag.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:17 pm

I meant that the 55k figure is pretty misleading, when you see how empty it looked over each game. Certainly Dragons game anyway.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:18 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Plus a massive flag.

Was there 55000 in the stadium or 55000 tickets issued, and I say issued rather than sold.

There was no way 55000 in the stadium, as that means 72% full and there seemed far less than that when you see areas not opened (covered by flags) and the masses of empty seats. Empty seats could be down to those only staying for one game.

Either way, think this underlines my opening post, that Judgement of Judgement Day is that it’s had its day.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Yeah issued, which is strange seeing as the WRU said indications were it would be over 60,000 attending.

Not exactly hearing great things about the atmosphere etc again. Definitely prefer it to be scrapped.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:08 pm

...and that is a key factor. I know for a fact that in previous years thousands of tickets are given “free” to sponsors and clubs to be used as hospitality. When those tickets are free the recipient of those tickets are more likely not to go than someone who has paid.

When you take the price of the ticket (£10) against the cost of running the games in the Principality Stadium, you have to wonder how much it actually makes. Reckon any monies made has to be off beer and “hot dog” sales, and fans staying for just 1 game would dent that revenue stream.

I’m really not convinced this event is as lucrative as the WRU would have us believe.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down