The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland's 2018 Summer Tour: Darien Scheme 2.0

+37
SecretFly
LordDowlais
Duty281
Pat_Mustard
westisbest
BamBam
George Carlin
highland_scot
reallybored
B91212
No9
Leander
lostinwales
Hazel Sapling
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
EWT Spoons
cakeordeath
LondonTiger
Anglobraveheart
MacKnocked-on
tigertattie
EST
Eejit
demosthenes
Majestic83
jimbopip
IanBru
Yoda
bsando
TJ
furra_linee
TheMildlyFranticLlama
carpet baboon
nickj
Tramptastic
41 posters

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down

Scotland's 2018 Summer Tour: Darien Scheme 2.0 - Page 14 Empty Scotland's 2018 Summer Tour: Darien Scheme 2.0

Post by Tramptastic Mon 30 Apr 2018 - 13:06

First topic message reminder :

Sunday 10th June 2018

Canada Vs Scotland

Sunday 17th June 2018

America Vs Scotland

Saturday 23rd June 2018

Argentina Vs Scotland

With an eye on the summer tour, whilst also keeping in mind the season isn't over for either of our pro teams - who would you "rest" for the summer tour and who would you bring along in their place?

I'd leave Russell, Price, WP Nel, Hogg, Dunbar, Barclay and Huw Jones purely because those guys have had extremely long seasons, are coming back from long term injuries and/or rarely (if ever) get a full pre-season with their clubs under their belts.

Dunbar is made of glass and could probably do with a summer of conditioning, same with WP Nel

Hogg, Jones and Russell have all had long seasons (lions tours/southern hemisphere seasons) and look a bit jaded.

Price is just off form and could do with some down time.

Barclay is getting on - would not like to injure our captain against America/Canada

With a world cup next year giving all of these guys a full pre-season could pay off in the long term.

Would also allow Townsend to have a closer look at Kinghorn, SHC/Horne (ideally take both and tell Fowles to f3ck off), Grigg, Chris Dean/Johnston/Bennett, Fagerson/Berghan/Mccalum, Bradbury.

Thoughts?

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Scotland's 2018 Summer Tour: Darien Scheme 2.0 - Page 14 Empty Re: Scotland's 2018 Summer Tour: Darien Scheme 2.0

Post by Eejit Sun 24 Jun 2018 - 18:58

12345678910 wrote:Argentina are genuinely woeful, for the first time in living memory it would be plausible to say they're position as the dominant Rugby force in the Americas is under threat. Hopefully, the USA's victory over us will be the catalyst Rugby needs in the country. Especially with Pro Rugby finally taking off over there.

With Scotland in mind, I don't think the Tour told us much at all, two of the teams were utterly dreadful. The biggest loser from the tour is Ali Price, in my mind now he's third choice but his issue is that at Glasgow he may well have slipped behind Horne too, and as a similar player to Horne himself he may find it difficult to get ahead of Pyrgos who offers something different. Hidalgo-Clyne is coming back to form and it may be that his move to Scarlets is enough to take him back to and even above his previous best. In effect Ali Price needs to fix himself up or risk missing the world cup (something unthinkable twelve months ago).

Hastings hasn't done enough to cement himself as second choice but he's certainly on his way there. With regard to our centres there is a massive drop off from our first choices and the squad players, I do think the prospect of Taylor and Jones playing in the centre with an in form Russell and Hogg is frightening. Horne I am still not convinced about defensively. Grigg I think has struggled when playing in Internationals, the Champions Cup and play-offs. If Bennett gets back to his best I think ideally we'd take Taylor, Jones, Horne, Dunbar and Bennett to the World Cup.

Again I'm not sure that over the last 12 months Seymour has been at his best and I think it's him, not Maitland, that should be worried about his place. That said he'll get a break this summer which should rejuvenate him.

I don't think much has changed in terms of our forwards. Denton perhaps being the major beneficiary, although I think his difficulty in getting picked for Scotland may be not his form but the type of player he is. His hands simply aren't good enough however he provides a bit of grunt that we have been lacking at points.

As things stand and if all were fit and firing this would be the team I'd be taking looking into next year and beyond

1. Dell
2. MacInally
3. Nel
4. Gray
5. Gray
6. Bradbury (Barclay when he's fit)
7. Watson
8. Denton
9. Horne
10. Russell
11. Kinghorn
12. Taylor
13. Jones
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

16. Marfo
17. Brown
18. Berghan
19. Gilchrist
20. Wilson
21. Laidlaw
22. Hastings
23. Seymour

That's a cracking team in fairness.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Scotland's 2018 Summer Tour: Darien Scheme 2.0 - Page 14 Empty Re: Scotland's 2018 Summer Tour: Darien Scheme 2.0

Post by RDW Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 9:10

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 13:15

Scottish rugby wrote:Scottish Rugby has signed Wigan Warriors head coach Shaun Wane as a new High Performance Coach.

Wane, who won three Super League Grand Finals with Wigan Warriors, two as Head Coach, also played over 140 times with the Super League side, winning numerous league titles and silverware over his career.

He brings an unrivalled wealth of rugby league expertise to Scottish Rugby’s high performance programmes and the former Great Britain international will work closely with current Scottish elite coaches, at all levels of the game, on a consultancy basis.

His areas of focus will prioritise defensive technique and understanding, handling and agility skills for front five forwards and mindset, especially for players in the BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy.

There will also be mentoring support for existing National and Age-Grade coaches across all Scottish Rugby programmes as well as practical skills and analysis feedback both in, and out, of team camps.

Shaun Wane said: “I see this as a fantastic opportunity to not only impart what I have learnt over my career in rugby league as a player and coach, but also to learn myself from Union and look to support the excellent work already being done in Scotland.

“The Scottish way of playing the game is fast, highly skilled and positive and that is something I want to contribute to, and help develop further.

“It is a fresh challenge for me, but the chance to work across all the teams and age-grades, with the BT Sport Academy players, both male and female, was an opportunity I am excited to take.”

Director of Rugby, Scott Johnson said: “There is now a well-established practice of sharing information and expertise between league and union and we wanted to add a new dimension to our coaching set-up.

“Having someone of Shaun’s experience spend time with our players and coaches can only benefit Scottish rugby and help us to identify and develop skill sets we will need to keep our teams progressing forward and competing at the highest levels.”

Scotland Head Coach, Gregor Townsend said: “There is a lot we can learn from Shaun in both the technical side of the game as well as wider aspects of coaching. The range of skills now needed across the pitch in rugby union, aligned with the style of play we are developing means that all our players have to be able to pass accurately and deploy effective lines of running that will either hold defenders or find space. What Shaun brings from rugby league is immediately transferrable and will add real value.”

Wane will begin working with Scottish Rugby when his commitments at Wigan are concluded

Sounds an interesting appointment. He certainly has an impressive CV.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 13:26

Shaun Wane? He begins all his training sessions with dietary and mobility advice, "Get off your horse and drink your milk". drumroll

On a related note... I notice a number of posters including Clare Baldwin in their likely World Cup 23. chin

Is this the blockbusting no8 who had six carries for a total of 0 metres gained versus the Trumpettes?

I haven't seen the figures for the Pumas match but to my, untutored, eyes he seems to take the ball and run straight into the nearest defender and set up the ruck. Ryan Wilson can do that AND pass the ball AND off-load AND catch the ball.
I'm obviously missing something Like "unseen work" or "leadership qualities".Headscratch

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 13:55

jimbopip wrote:Shaun Wane? He begins all his training sessions with dietary and mobility advice, "Get off your horse and drink your milk". drumroll

On a related note... I notice a number of posters including Clare Baldwin in their likely World Cup 23. chin

Is this the blockbusting no8 who had six carries for a total of 0 metres gained versus the Trumpettes?

I haven't seen the figures for the Pumas match but to my, untutored, eyes he seems to take the ball and run straight into the nearest defender and set up the ruck. Ryan Wilson can do that AND pass the ball AND off-load AND catch the ball.
I'm obviously missing something Like "unseen work" or "leadership qualities".Headscratch

😆Nice post...but surely you're describing Rob Kearney instead on that highlighted bit?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Leander Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 16:37

jimbopip wrote:Shaun Wane? He begins all his training sessions with dietary and mobility advice, "Get off your horse and drink your milk". drumroll

He carried hard vs Argentina, made some good ground. Also, sometimes setting up the ruck is exactly what is needed - lots of quick rucks in succession can but a defence off balance, even if they don't make 5 yards each time. Gray Jnr does this kind of thing a lot.

Denton's never going to be a good all rounder, but Wilson is also limited, in a different way. Wilson works hard, and is an effective breakdown operator, but he just doesn't have the physicality to make a dent in top tier Test defences. At times during the 6N we were banging our heads against brick walls. We need someone in our backrow who can smash them down, and Denton is one of those guys. I'd rather see Bradbury at 8 in the long term, mind.

Leander

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14