The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets

+25
ScarletSpiderman
Kingshu
Geen sport voor watjes
Pot Hale
formerly known as Sam
demosthenes
No9
David-Douglas
EST
Hazel Sapling
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
mckay1402
NeilyBroon
RugbyFan100
IanBru
George Carlin
TheMildlyFranticLlama
PhilBB
RDW
LondonTiger
munkian
BigGee
jimbopip
Eejit
29 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets Empty Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets

Post by Eejit Mon 14 May 2018, 6:09 pm

No thread yet so here it is.

Where? Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow
When? Friday 7:45 kick-off
How? In person, Sky Sports Action, BBC2 Wales or BBC Alba
Why? Because it’s a semi final of Europe’s dominant league

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets

Post by jimbopip Mon 14 May 2018, 8:04 pm

Well done Eejit.

If everyone is fit.

Bhatti-Brown- Ragnar (Allen-Turner-Nuke)

Johnny-Brian (Swinson but he'll start with McDonald to bench)

Batman-Fagerson- All Man No Mullet ( BBB to bench)

Player Of The Year ( Henners)

Furra Linee (Dancer: Finn has been "corralled" against Wales and Scarlets , Horne scored in both games)

Johnson-Dunbar (tough on Griggs, but Scarlets centres are big)

Seymour-Hogg-VDM (Jackson)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 14 May 2018, 9:12 pm

Jimbo - there is not a cat's chance in hell that Russell won't start this game, unless he falls down some stairs between now and Friday. We won't win without him playing well that's for sure. Horne I imagine will bench and cover centre and FH. Tough on Hastings who I thought had a decent game against Edinburgh when he came on.

I am not even sure about Dunbar starting or playing, he seems to be struggling still. Jones was on twitter visiting his old school this week, so I am imagining he is not fit still and has already started his summer holiday. I fancy Grigg to start.

I think Cummings will be in the second row mix as well. I think you are right that JG and Swinno will start, either Cummings or BBB to cover second row if he decides he wants another speedster, Fusaro or Smith on the bench.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 14 May 2018, 9:44 pm

Gee, I totally agree that if Dancer is on fire we will win. However, I do think the Welsh did a real job on him and Aldi Price both at Cardiff and Porky Scarlets. Also, I'm worried that he would want to make it the Finn Russell show and that might backfire badly.

At 13 it's Dunbar or Grigg. Dunbar gives more in defence, Grigg more in attack. Mind, I qualified my selection by saying "if fit".

As for the back row... he could l play Harley-Ashe-Fusaro with Smith on the bench . But I think we might see Harley cover second row and Ashe or Fusaro covering the back row.

Horne at 10 to start and Dancer to light up the last half hour when the game opens up.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 15 May 2018, 7:02 am

Odds on another Gareth Davies interception try ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 15 May 2018, 8:48 am

1/2p ruled out with a torn hamstring

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2018, 9:34 am

LondonTiger wrote:1/2p ruled out with a torn hamstring

In McNicol they’ve got a better attacking option, in my opinion. I’ve been impresssed with him since he joined the Scarlets. But of course they lose the accuracy of 1/2p’s boot. And McNicol will be rusty too as he’s been out since Feb.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 15 May 2018, 9:45 am

The Oracle wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:1/2p ruled out with a torn hamstring

In McNicol they’ve got a better attacking option, in my opinion. I’ve been impresssed with him since he joined the Scarlets. But of course they lose the accuracy of 1/2p’s boot. And McNicol will be rusty too as he’s been out since Feb.

When is he Welsh qualified ? He has much more chance of a cap than Blommetjies...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 15 May 2018, 9:47 am

Talking about rusty, will Glasgow in general be a little undercooked or even out of form for this game? Looks like they have had just one win in the last 7 weeks.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 15 May 2018, 9:54 am

LondonTiger wrote:Talking about rusty, will Glasgow in general be a little undercooked or even out of form for this game? Looks like they have had just one win in the last 7 weeks.

Scarlets bummed Glasgae last time they faced them too.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 15 May 2018, 10:10 am

Glasgow home and away have been two different teams this year.

10 home games, 10 wins and 9 BPs. No-one has even taken a BP away from Scotstoun this season.

If we were looking at our recent away form, you would not give us a chance though. Hopefully the home team will turn up.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 15 May 2018, 10:22 am

George Lacey reffing.

On the plus side it's not Clownshoes.

On the minus side, he can be whistlehappy at the breakdown. Mind you, if he actually enforces the offside law then gareth Davies probably won't score another interception try.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2018, 11:02 am

Glasgow are going into this with very little form or momentum having only played 2 games in the last month and lost both. Scarlets have had a fairly attritional end of season and have played a lot of big games recently, so there's a chance they will run out of steam.

So what will it be - fresh and fit but no form, battle hardened but potentially over-worked?

I think Glasgow will win, potentially by more than a score, but if they carry on their away form at home they will get pumped.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2018, 11:38 am

jimbopip wrote:George Lacey reffing.

On the minus side, he can be whistlehappy at the breakdown. Mind you, if he actually enforces the offside law then gareth Davies probably won't score another interception try.

FFS.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 15 May 2018, 3:23 pm

The Oracle wrote:

FFS.

Language, Oracular one, language.

If you're getting stressy over the the factual reporting that Davies didn't so much sneak across the offside line as stand there completing the Llanelli Telegraph's crossword (1.across...4legged woolly animal goes bah( 5 letters)1.down adult lamb (5letters) ) while waiting for the ball to arrive goodness only knows what you'll be like come Friday when the real banter starts. Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 15 May 2018, 4:10 pm

George Lacey.

Hmmmm.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2018, 4:24 pm

Jimbo is elderly - we tend to give him a bit of leeway with these things...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2018, 4:53 pm

jimbopip wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

FFS.

Language, Oracular one, language.

If you're getting stressy over the the factual reporting that Davies didn't so much sneak across the offside line as stand there completing the Llanelli Telegraph's crossword (1.across...4legged woolly animal goes bah( 5 letters)1.down adult lamb (5letters) ) while waiting for the ball to arrive goodness only knows what you'll be like come Friday when the real banter starts. Hug

You been on the Buckfast, Jimbo???!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2018, 5:01 pm

On your point though, I’ve just had a watch again and it seems clear to me that when Price picks the ball up Davies is onside (so the ball is ‘out’ and that’s fine), it’s just that by the time Price actually makes the pass Davies is up to the line. Pedestrian passing from Price. Almost Mike Phillips-esque. Almost.

Here’s both clips in one post. Get ready with the pause button Wink

https://rugbyonslaught.com/chilling-ali-pryce-gareth-davies-recreate-identical-intercept-try-six-nations/

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 15 May 2018, 5:51 pm

Whether he was offside or on and I am not going to argue the toss, both were very pedestrian and poor passes. I expect no-one knows that better than Price, whose form has gone down the pan ever since the Welsh game, when we were expecting him to put his name on the shirt.

I am pretty sure he won't start on Friday and may not even be in the squad. He is a good player but probably needs the summer off to re-discover his mojo.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 15 May 2018, 6:04 pm

BigGee wrote:He is a good player but probably needs the summer off to re-discover his mojo......

..... at Edinburgh Wink

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 15 May 2018, 7:12 pm

Rennie could make a big decision and start with Horne the younger who is so fast that if he saw Davies sneak in to snaffle the ball young Horne would nip round and intercept his own pass.

Another big call would be Horne the Elder at 10. However, I think George Horne will keep the Scarlets fringe defence honest and Sam Johnson at 12 will step in at first receiver thus allowing Finn Russell room to express himself.
I think it'll be a very close game and home advantage may just prove decisive.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 May 2018, 5:33 am

After all the hoo ha around Rennie, if Glasgow don't at least make the final then this has to go down as a season of underachievement, particularly given how the Weej streaked away at the start of the season only to lose mojo half way through and the extent to which we gargled old man balls in Europe once again. 

As has been pointed out, Glasgow is a categorically different animal at home, which at the moment is the only thing which gives them a chance. In previous seasons, they were absolutely brutual on keeping the error count low - I don't have the same confidence this season. This will be potentially Finn Russell's last game in a Glasgow shirt and I cannot believe that he won't start. 

Horne the younger and Horne the elder should warm the bench - the former is a likely game winner with 20 to go. I hope to hell that Big Brian is fit because we have needed his size 16s on the field desperately. Am a little concerned about the back row - I presume 7. Mighty Mullet and 8. Mighty Crayon but I don't know who would be in at blindside. 

I have concerns. Concerns, I tell you. 

Not about Jim. He's always been like that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 16 May 2018, 9:57 am

Thank you GC. Hug

Consistency has always been my one great strength: consistency and equanimity. Those are my one big strength.

Reading DR's comments this week, he keeps talking about not allowing the fear of failure to inhibit their desire to express themselves. (my paraphrasing). You don't need to be a seasoned Kremlinologist to hear, "We're starting with our best players and Finn's top of that list". I think Finn needs a 9 who will keep the defence guessing; at the moment Aldi Price keeps us all guessing but in a "Fecc me what is he doing?" kind of way, Henners is a very good 9 but very much a does what it says on the tin type, Wee Georgie though!!! I think Aldi will be rested and Henners will be looking to close out the game.

Back row is, possibly, Scarlets' strongest area and we need to match them there. However, your Uncle Doogie is probably a better no8 than the Giant Red Crayon. The Mighty Harley is a 6 all day long, every day and twice on Sundays.

Possible back rows

6. Harley 7. Mullet 8. Batman
6. Batman 7. Mullet. 8 Ashe
6. Mullet 7. Batman 8. Fagerson

We also have Fozzie, Matt Smith and Lewis Wynne. Of those three I think Fozzie might have a chance of starting at 7.
However, I believe that if Batman and the Mullet are fit they will start.The big question will be does DR want the destructiveness of BBB or a ball carrying 8? Personally, I would be looking at Ashe or Fagerson. But what do I know?

I get the feeling that Glasgow will go into this with the attitude of, "If we lose we'll go down swinging". High tempo high risk rugby will be the order of the day.

As Fast Eddie Felsom says at the denoument of The Hustler, "You know what? Percentage players die broke too! Let's shoot some pool FatMan."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 16 May 2018, 10:15 am

I agree with the sentiments above but I think we’re likely to see Bhatti, Brown and Ragnar. Johnny and Swinson then Batman Mullet and M Fagerson. George Horne and Finn in midfield then Johnson Jones and the back three pick themselves followed by a stacked bench with Big Brian, Boab, Jacko, Niko etc.

It’s horrible for any player to get injured but I can’t help but feel the loss of 1/2p means that we’ll win this by a score. He may not be the flashiest player on the planet (though he has rediscovered a bit of his mojo since joining Scarlets) but he exudes quality and has a horrible habit of keeping his side in games while simultaneously beating Scots. Certainly not an ideal game for McNicholl to come back for as he hasn’t played in some months.

Last edited by Eejit on Wed 16 May 2018, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 16 May 2018, 10:28 am

Eejit, I like your team. Mainly because it's very close to the one I predicted. Very Happy

However, there are players who DR will start every time if they are fit. Batman is deffo one of them. The Mullet is another. So, we will have Crayon, Fagerson, Fozzie, Ashe looking at one to start and one to bench.

13 is a nightmare to select; Dunbar, Jones or Grigg? Jones is not half the player in the Pro14 that he is at international level. Dunbar will love Parks and Williams running at him and his speed over the ball after the tackle could well negate Barclay and co and win a couple of turnovers. Offensively Grigg is the form 13. Glad I'm not making that choice.

Naughty Boy may be fit and healthy...but can he possibly be match fit? I think Gray-Swinson and Harley to bench. (This would allow another 7 on the bench)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 May 2018, 11:45 am

jimbopip wrote:Eejit, I like your team. Mainly because it's very close to the one I predicted. Very Happy

However, there are players who DR will start every time if they are fit. Batman is deffo one of them. The Mullet is another. So, we will have Crayon, Fagerson, Fozzie, Ashe looking at one to start and one to bench.

13 is a nightmare to select; Dunbar, Jones or Grigg? Jones is not half the player in the Pro14 that he is at international level. Dunbar will love Parks and Williams running at him and his speed over the ball after the tackle could well negate Barclay and co and win a couple of turnovers. Offensively Grigg is the form 13. Glad I'm not making that choice.

Naughty Boy may be fit and healthy...but can he possibly be match fit? I think Gray-Swinson and Harley to bench. (This would allow another 7 on the bench)
I thought that Sir Shuggy of Jones was definitely out because of surgery and also presumably he has a modelling commitment with Abercrombie & Fitch to keep.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 16 May 2018, 1:05 pm

"Beware it carries a terrible curse!"
"Ooh, that's bad."
"But it comes with a free frogurt!"
"That's good."
"The frogurt is also cursed."
"That's bad."
"But you get your choice of toppings."
"That's good!"
"The toppings contain potassium benzoate... ...That's bad."
"Can I go now?"
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 17 May 2018, 9:43 am

It's always a worry when I say something, and it stuns people into silence. They're either pondering my genius or desperately looking for fire exits.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 May 2018, 10:02 am

IanBru wrote:It's always a worry when I say something, it always stuns people into silence

Fixed that for you Bru. Whistle

Anyone counting the seconds till the team is up?

By anyone I mean anyone else, obviously.

Big calls for DR; who partners Wee Jonny in the second row? will GH start?, who plays 8? Or does BBB go 6 and Batman at 8?(Too defensive in my mind), who plays 13?

Everything else pretty much picks itself.

Remember

WE ARE WARRIORS- WE ARE WARRIORS Braveheart

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 17 May 2018, 10:05 am

IanBru wrote:It's always a worry when I say something.
Have also edited appropriately.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 May 2018, 10:08 am

George Carlin wrote:
IanBru wrote:It's always a worry when I say ………....
Have also edited appropriately.

Let's have a bit of suspense. Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 May 2018, 10:11 am

Apparently the Scarlets have only sold about 23 tickets from their allocation. The rational part of my brain can understand this; day off work, travel costs, overnight stay add up to a very expensive trip. However, there seem to be no Scarlets fans joining in the merry banter here. Is it because you're too busy thinking of the final?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 May 2018, 10:16 am

I don't think there are that many Scarlets fans on here to be fair.

Away support in the Pro 14 is still pretty low these days, but you can guarantee if Glasgow were away in Wales there would be a few hundred travelling at least!

They had their Euro semi final in Dublin so maybe another away trip soon after was too much for most people.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2018, 10:23 am

Only scarlets fan on here is ScarletSpiderman I think???

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 May 2018, 10:25 am

The Oracle wrote:Only scarlets fan on here is ScarletSpiderman I think???

What makes you think that?

I didn't need to ask that but seasoned readers will have noticed three quote functions in a row and no fecc ups. A new personal best... Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 May 2018, 10:58 am

Teams up

Bhatti-Brown-Zander
Jonny-Swison
Fagerson-Batman-Mullet
Player Of The Year
Dancer
DTH
Johnson
Grigg
Seymour
Hogg

subs
Allen
Turner
Nuke
Big Bad
Fozzie
Henners
Furra Linee
Ruaridh

Big calls with G Horne, Fozzie and Grigg. Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 17 May 2018, 11:24 am

Didn’t expect Grigg starting but happy enough with that. In terms of a centre combination I reckon Johnson and Grigg is the strongest we have for a club game.

From lurking on other forums Scarlets forum seems very confident, Glasgow one seem perplexed at our strength in depth being able to leave out Niko, Dunbar, Huw and Price.

Glasgow by a score.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 May 2018, 11:24 am

McNicholl
S Evans
Parkes
Williams
Prydie
Patchell
G Davies

R Evans
Owens
Lee
Byrne
Cummins
Shingler
J Davies
Barclay

Any thoughts on that XV?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Thu 17 May 2018, 11:26 am

jimbopip wrote:

Any thoughts on that XV?

McNicholl isn't a 15. Good to have him back but he's a winger. Glasgow should look to test him all day long.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 May 2018, 11:27 am

Eejit wrote:Didn’t expect Grigg starting but happy enough with that. In terms of a centre combination I reckon Johnson and Grigg is the strongest we have for a club game.

From lurking on other forums Scarlets forum seems very confident, Glasgow one seem perplexed at our strength in depth being able to leave out Niko, Dunbar, Huw and Price.

Glasgow by a score.

I think Chris Fusaro as back row replacement is very interesting: looking to up the tempo when he comes on. You could say the same about Harley coming into the second row too.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 May 2018, 11:35 am

Not a lot of impact off the bench for Glasgow - Harley (out of position) and Fusaro can hardly be classed as impact players and Pyrgos-Horne are a more controlling combo.

Can see them being brought in to close out the game (which relies on Glasgow being ahead).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 May 2018, 12:44 pm

Another very good and very honest article from Barclay

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44140999

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 17 May 2018, 12:57 pm

I have a feeling Glasgow may turn this one around with a great performance. Hopefully they've been reflecting on their recent form and produce the goods.

If Glasgow win it'll be by two scores I reckon. If they lose it'll be by an unconverted score. Depends on which finn shows up

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 17 May 2018, 12:57 pm

Holy moly this is an exciting prospect. I just wish it was the final instead of the semi
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu 17 May 2018, 1:16 pm

So, with neither Dunbar or Hastings in the squad, are we to assume that:
Dunbar has an injury niggle/ is being saved for the final/ some other reason.
Hastings is being allowed to develop at club level, to be thrown fresh into the Pro14 from next season.

It just seems a bit odd that these guys, and also Matt Smith and Cummings don't get a look in. Puzzling.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 May 2018, 1:18 pm

Dunbar looks to have fallen down the pecking order and has just been left out, and Hastings has only played this season when there's been no one else so DR obviously doesn't fully trust him yet.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 17 May 2018, 1:20 pm

Hastings can feel a little hard done by i agree. Dunbar I'm not convinced with his current form, solid at best and a less versatile player than Horne or Johnson.

Smith and cummings have been doing well and their exclusion is a little puzzling but I guess Rennie wants experience primarily. But I'd argue Cummings has that and is better than Harley.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu 17 May 2018, 2:00 pm

Dunbar aside, it does demonstrate a production line of capable youngsters to be available for next season.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 17 May 2018, 2:05 pm

IanBru wrote:It's always a worry when I say something, and it stuns people into silence. They're either pondering my genius or desperately looking for fire exits.

Homer J Simpson I believe!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next