The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets

+25
ScarletSpiderman
Kingshu
Geen sport voor watjes
Pot Hale
formerly known as Sam
demosthenes
No9
David-Douglas
EST
Hazel Sapling
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
mckay1402
NeilyBroon
RugbyFan100
IanBru
George Carlin
TheMildlyFranticLlama
PhilBB
RDW
LondonTiger
munkian
BigGee
jimbopip
Eejit
29 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets - Page 2 Empty Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets

Post by Eejit Mon 14 May 2018, 7:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

No thread yet so here it is.

Where? Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow
When? Friday 7:45 kick-off
How? In person, Sky Sports Action, BBC2 Wales or BBC Alba
Why? Because it’s a semi final of Europe’s dominant league

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets

Post by BigGee Thu 17 May 2018, 3:55 pm

Rennie compared to Toonie has been a lot more consistent in selection and it has been pretty obvious for a while what he considers his best team to be, so no real surprises there. The only only one that might have been changed to me was jacko on the bench, wheras you might imagine he could have gone for an x factor impact player like Niko should we need to roll the dice at any stage.

Johnson and Grigg have been our form centres all season, hard to argue with that really. Dunbar and Jones have just not really sparked this season in a Glasgow shirt. The rest will do Jones a power of good over the summer, with Dunbar, you do wonder if the injuries are catching up with him.

If Ali Price did not know before that he seems to have slipped down the order, then he will know it now. Does he want to stay and fight for his place or will the call of Cockers prove attractive? That one could go either way.

I think both sides are fairly evenly matched in the backs but we are perhaps giving some power away in the scrum. WE got pretty rogrred up front when we played down there and if we don't do better this time around, we will lose. Good to see Johnny back but we are a little light at lock and Harley coming on won't help that.

It's a hard game to call and I would not say I am confident, our recent form worries me and yet I know that we can play so much better than we have done, maybe we just needed something to play for!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 17 May 2018, 4:18 pm

After the mullering that Scarlets gave Glasgow at the scrum, Harley coming on is not going to bulk out the second row. Swinson is underpowered as well. Don't understand the logic of him as second row replacement/covering 6. Swinson can cover 6 and Cummings/McDonald offer more bulk. It is doubling down that speed is going to work rather than covering for another possibility.

Really don't understand his preference of Fusaro. Smith looks the more formidable player. If you are good enough, you are old enough.

Hastings is arguably the form pick. Horne has been playing well and Russell has been poor. For Hastings to get in, you would drop Russell on form. That is not happening.

Johnson-Grigg may be the right decision. Johnson has been the form 12 and Jones is coming off an injury. Dunbar may feel hard done by not to get the 13 jersey but Grigg is no slouch on that end. No lack of pace in the backline.

All in all, can't decide if Rennie trusts youth or not. G Horne and M Fagerson would suggest he does; Smith and Cummings/McDonald (Hastings over the course of the season) suggest not.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 17 May 2018, 4:27 pm

I lot of people, myself included, probably thought Fusaro was a done deal and was probably heading out of Glasgow, but he clearly has impressed DR and has forced his way into the squads over the back end of the season. He will certainly bring some energy onto the field when he comes on. Smith's time will come, but Fusaro has won me around and happy for him to get into the squad.

Cummings has probably faded a bit this year and has not shown the form of the autumn. He is still young and growing into his game, we probably expect to much of our youngsters sometimes. Both him and Smith have got plenty game time under their belts this season and will be better players for it next year.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 May 2018, 4:33 pm

Can’t agree on Fusaro – for a number of years I’ve never seen him having much of an impact on games. He’s just too small and he’s no longer got the pace that made up for it when he was younger. If you compare him to Hamish Watson (who is a similar size) there’s absolutely no contest.

DR obviously sees something in him but if he’s Glasgow’s best reserve back row then they have a real depth issue!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 17 May 2018, 4:38 pm

Fusaro has looked much better this year compared to previous. Smith though has been really impressive and, to me, has a strong argument to be the starting 7 with Gibbins at 6.

Cummings has faded and McDonald has risen; both offer a bigger presence in the scrum than Swinson or Harley. It is something that this Scarlets team has exploited in the past and they could blow us off the park if Glasgow are inaccurate.

What is going on with Ashe? Is he done for the season? Same with Brian. What is going on?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2018, 4:45 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Another very good and very honest article from Barclay

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44140999

Yes, another excellent read. Will miss his column when he leaves Scarlets (as in, I probably won’t be interested in reading it when the Welsh element is taken out. I’m guessing he’ll still write one).

A witty writer. It’s nice to see/read the behind the scene stuff as a nice change from the boring stuff that sounds almost scripted in match interviews.

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 17 May 2018, 4:47 pm

Club player in 'Not as good as world-class youngster' shocker...

It does seem a wee bit odd to compare a reserve player at one club with the starter at another. It's a bit like criticising Edinburgh's scrum-half stocks for not being as good as George Horne... or Ali Price... or Niko Matawalu… or Henry Piecrust... or, frankly, Mike Blair.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 17 May 2018, 4:54 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:

What is going on with Ashe? Is he done for the season? Same with Brian. What is going on?

Ashe just can't stop being injured, he is seriously at risk of fading away if he does not turn it around. He has become a relatively expensive luxury over the past two years and hard to see anyone taking a punt on him in the future if he can't string some games and some form together.

Big Brian injured his knee early on and has not featured since. He was never going to feature for this game and hopefully we will see him back next year. We have missed him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 17 May 2018, 5:03 pm

The Oracle wrote:

Yes, another excellent read. Will miss his column when he leaves Scarlets (as in, I probably won’t be interested in reading it when the Welsh element is taken out. I’m guessing he’ll still write one).

A witty writer. It’s nice to see/read the behind the scene stuff as a nice change from the boring stuff that sounds almost scripted in match interviews.

Nice to see him being self aware about how he has improved as a player and a person through his move to Scarlets.

I for one was not sad to see him move on from Glasgow at the time, as I definitely felt he was coasting and had developed a sense of entitlement. Toonie, I suspect, saw it as well and it was not what he wanted in his squad.

It is to his great credit though that he took it on the chin and came back a stronger and better player. It just goes to show that any player, even good ones can get stale and a move is not always a bad thing. Hopefully the move down to the land of sheep will have a good effect on the career of Sam Hidalgo Clyne as well, another player who at times seems to be a great believer in his own highlights real. The best of his career may still be ahead of him as well if he goes about things in the same way that JB has.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 May 2018, 5:25 pm

I do wonder how long we'll see posts about Tim Swinson being too lightweight and too small. Coaches keep picking him so he must have something about him. One thing's for sure, he's got plenty of dog in him.
Similarly, Fusaro. He is a very good flanker even if he is underpowered in comparison to Watson or Hardie . I have no concerns over his inclusion; if there's one thing kiwi coaches know when they see it it's a good open side.
Big bad Bob has played second row a few times this season and will be fine. He and Fozzie can up the pace but can also be a real nuisance at the breakdown.
I think it'll be a close run thing, and Glasgow should score more than 16 points in a semi for the first time.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2018, 5:41 pm

BigGee wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

Nice to see him being self aware about how he has improved as a player and a person through his move to Scarlets.

I for one was not sad to see him move on from Glasgow at the time, as I definitely felt he was coasting and had developed a sense of entitlement. Toonie, I suspect, saw it as well and it was not what he wanted in his squad.

It is to his great credit though that he took it on the chin and came back a stronger and better player. It just goes to show that any player, even good ones can get stale and a move is not always a bad thing. Hopefully the move down to the land of sheep will have a good effect on the career of Sam Hidalgo Clyne as well, another player who at times seems to be a great believer in his own highlights real. The best of his career may still be ahead of him as well if he goes about things in the same way that JB has.

Yep. I wish there was more inter-pro14 moverment of players rather than players moving to England or France. Well, inter-Celtic nations I really mean. Not that keen to see them go to Italy or SA. Thinking mainly of the welsh guys who’ve left over the years. If they have to go it would be nice to see them retained in the league.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 17 May 2018, 8:35 pm

jimbopip wrote:I do wonder how long we'll see posts about Tim Swinson being too lightweight and too small. Coaches keep picking him so he must have something about him. One thing's for sure, he's got plenty of dog in him.
Similarly, Fusaro. He is a very good flanker even if he is underpowered in comparison to Watson or Hardie .  I have no concerns over his inclusion; if there's one thing kiwi coaches know when they see it it's a good open side.
Big bad Bob has played second row a few times this season and will be fine. He and Fozzie can up the pace but can also be a real nuisance at the breakdown.
I think it'll be a close run thing, and Glasgow should score more than 16 points in a semi for the first time.

Probably for about as long as he keeps on demonstrating it at the top level I’d wager Jimbo laughing

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 17 May 2018, 9:08 pm

On the subject of size (which The Hagia Sophia keeps telling Bru "doesn't matter, honestly it doesn't") DR comes out with a cracker on Warriors TV,

"Yeah, Nick Grigg....He doesn't look like a centre. He looks more like a hooker. He's five foot bugger all." Laugh Laugh

Tiny Tim will put his heart and soul into every tackle and ruck and maul tomorrow. He may never be a great player at international level but he won't let anyone down tomorrow and right now that's good enough.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 May 2018, 8:48 am

Scotsman reporting this morning that Huw Jones was apparently fit for selection. with DR saying only 4 players were not available

Adam Ashe, Oli Kebble (both ankle), Pat MacArthur and Leo Sarto (both shoulder)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 18 May 2018, 9:08 am

I have found most of Glasgow's performances this season pretty unconvincing, which is an odd thing to say considering they waltzed the league. However, up against teams playing their best sides they have looked under powered and at times naive. Given the lack of firepower in the pack, and the replacements on the bench - I can't really see anything other than a Scarlets win, although I would be delighted to be wrong.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 18 May 2018, 9:41 am

Aye they certainly don't seem to have the fire of seasons past.

I think part of the issue is Dave Rennies reluctance to change the team, so what once was a great place for youngsters to step up has now become a team picked more on reputation for the most-part so I think there's less buy-in from the players.

Hastings for example should have had more chances this season in my opinion, especially in the latter part when Finn was having a shockingly bad run of games and Hastings had put a few good performances together. Smith is another one who has done well but not been selected.

It reminds me of how Andy Robinson used to select with Scotland - pick the same regardless, which is great if they're consistently good but a poor strategy at club level where they're playing weekly and badly fluctuating.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 May 2018, 9:44 am

While I agree with a lot of that Nelly it isn't true in all cases - if DR selected on reputation he would have picked Dunbar and Jones for tonight's game. Seymour's selection is a bit of a reputation over form call as he's not had a good season at all, and Lee Jones has. Seymour has great pedigree so you can probably understand it though.

It certainly is strange how little he has used some of the youngsters this year though, especially Hastings.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 18 May 2018, 9:48 am

NeilyBroon wrote:Aye they certainly don't seem to have the fire of seasons past.

I think part of the issue is Dave Rennies reluctance to change the team, so what once was a great place for youngsters to step up has now become a team picked more on reputation for the most-part so I think there's less buy-in from the players.

Hastings for example should have had more chances this season in my opinion, especially in the latter part when Finn was having a shockingly bad run of games and Hastings had put a few good performances together. Smith is another one who has done well but not been selected.

It reminds me of how Andy Robinson used to select with Scotland - pick the same regardless, which is great if they're consistently good but a poor strategy at club level where they're playing weekly and badly fluctuating.

I would agree that Hastings should have been given some more game time, but then you look at Horne jnr and Fagerson who have been given a shot. I think the main issue is that we don't have enough firepower in our pack - Big Brian has been out all season and Vunisa has been hopeless. I think this is partly also due to Rennie's approach, where he has placed more value over fitness and speed than over grunt - regardless of what happens tonight, I would hope he tries to find a better balance next season.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 18 May 2018, 11:21 am

Can I just say... thank God for the playoffs! They're my oasis in the desert of royal wedding obsession. You just can't escape it - I even opened up the AppStore on my phone to do some updates, and there it is... the F%^&*£g 'Royal Wedding' App!

So, here's to the Warriors tonight and the Falcons tomorrow. RedWine
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 18 May 2018, 11:33 am

IanBru wrote:Can I just say... thank God for the playoffs! They're my oasis in the desert of royal wedding obsession. You just can't escape it - I even opened up the AppStore on my phone to do some updates, and there it is... the F%^&*£g 'Royal Wedding' App!

You mean you don't care who walks Meghan down the aisle?

Heresy.

Partner is on night shift tonight, I definitely had an internal fist pump as it will be a glorious evening of rugby! Got to make the most of the "free" coverage while I still can!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 May 2018, 11:51 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
IanBru wrote:Can I just say... thank God for the playoffs! They're my oasis in the desert of royal wedding obsession. You just can't escape it - I even opened up the AppStore on my phone to do some updates, and there it is... the F%^&*£g 'Royal Wedding' App!

Heresy.

Partner is on night shift tonight, I definitely had an internal fist pump as it will be a glorious evening of rugby! Got to make the most of the "free" coverage while I still can!

Erm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 18 May 2018, 12:48 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

Heresy.

Erm
Isn't that what was going on at Howe of Fife?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 18 May 2018, 1:04 pm

IanBru wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

Heresy.

Erm
Isn't that what was going on at Howe of Fife?

laughing

It was even more painful when I was celebrating Scotland winning the Calcutta cup Shocked

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 18 May 2018, 3:02 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:

I don't even care who takes her up the aisle. Shocked

Just as long as Dancer leaves Scotstoun having shown everyone just how good he can be.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 18 May 2018, 6:15 pm

Bag of nerves now and I’ve not even had a drink yet.. Going to be completely one-eyed, well beyond reason till about midday tomorrow regardless of the result. Intae them Glasgow. No excuses.

That being said... We’re going to Dublin!! Ale Ale Ale

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 18 May 2018, 7:14 pm

Evening all.

Any chance of some humorous badinage tonight?

My gall bladder has decided to declare UDI and the timescale for the operation means I have spent the day cancelling flights to Florida. You've no idea how popular this has made me with the family.
College phoned, Alex the ASD boy keeps turning up at the office to ask if I'm ok. Georgia the trainee nippy sweetie, who was about to be expelled and found a refuge in my class marched into the HOD's office and announced, "If it ain't Jim I ain't goin' to no Maffs lessons"
I told MrsPip I'll be at work on Monday. I won't repeat her reply.
AND I'm on anti feccin biotics so I can't have a drink tonight.
Cheer me up lads.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 May 2018, 7:31 pm

jimbopip wrote:Evening all.

Any chance of some humorous badinage tonight?

My gall bladder has decided to declare UDI and the timescale for the operation means I have spent the day cancelling flights to Florida. You've no idea how popular this has made me with the family.
College phoned, Alex the ASD boy keeps turning up at the office to ask if I'm ok. Georgia the trainee nippy sweetie, who was about to be expelled and found a refuge in my class marched into the HOD's office and announced, "If it ain't Jim I ain't goin' to no Maffs lessons"
I told MrsPip I'll be at work on Monday. I won't repeat her reply.
AND I'm on anti feccin biotics so I can't have a drink tonight.
Cheer me up lads.
Sorry to hear that Jimbo!  Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 18 May 2018, 7:32 pm

Sorry Jimbo only bad news. Hogg out Jackson in, Selkirk Pixie on bench.

Love sacks.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 7:37 pm

Sorry to hear that Jimbo. Hoping the rugby cheers you up Hug guinness

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 May 2018, 7:43 pm

Not good news about Hoggy. Mind you he dropped out of the Scotland game v Oz at the last minute and look what happened there!

Just got to get on with it now!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 18 May 2018, 7:44 pm

Hogg out Jackson in....didn't that happen when Scotland thumped Oz?

Balances out 1/2 penny missing out.

Don't think much of the humorous banter tbh. As teenagers would say.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 May 2018, 7:50 pm

jimbopip wrote:Hogg out Jackson in....didn't that happen when Scotland thumped Oz?

Balances out 1/2 penny missing out.

Don't think much of the humorous banter tbh. As teenagers would say.

Edinburgh are better than Glasgow.  Wink

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 18 May 2018, 7:57 pm

Anyone else not getting the red button do having to watch on BBC one eyed Wales?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 18 May 2018, 7:58 pm

Gutted for Barclay
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 7:58 pm

Nooooooooo. Terrible end to Barclay’s season and Scarlets career.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 18 May 2018, 8:06 pm

Hi, my name is (insert name of Glasgow player) and I used to be a tackler. It's been 6 weeks since my last tackle........
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 18 May 2018, 8:10 pm

tigertattie wrote:Hi, my name is (insert name of Glasgow player) and I used to be a tackler. It's been 6 weeks since my last tackle........
Laugh Laugh Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 8:11 pm

Good luck to the Scarlets 10 on his marriage to Meghan Markle tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 8:16 pm

I’ve heard talk that these fully synthetic pitches lead to more injuries than normal grass or hybrid pitches? Anything in that rumour? Do Glasgow have higher than normal number of injuries? I don’t think Cardiff do, and they have one of those pitches.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 8:22 pm

Possible forward passes there I would say. Need to review that try with the TMO.

Edit: maybe not, going by the overhead camera.

Last edited by The Oracle on Fri 18 May 2018, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 18 May 2018, 8:23 pm

And another.

These Glasgow boys have some cheek to call themselves "warriors"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 8:24 pm

That George Horne looks a cracking player.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 May 2018, 8:33 pm

George Horne has saved us tries and given 2 away with poor kicks!

We are just not taking our chances

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by David-Douglas Fri 18 May 2018, 8:34 pm

Why do Glasgow think they can get away with defending so flat. It’s dumb. Two simple try’s because of it.
Also two stupid penalties given away for tackles off the ball as well as two dreadful lineout throws.
Dreadful stuff from Glasgow.

David-Douglas

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 May 2018, 8:35 pm

Well this is going to have to be the come back of come backs!

Not feeling to confident

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 18 May 2018, 8:36 pm

Great first half... can Scarlets keep this going, or can Glasgow come back like Cardiff did a week ago...

Cmon Scarlets Yahoo

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Fri 18 May 2018, 8:42 pm

No9 wrote:Great first half... can Scarlets keep this going, or can Glasgow come back like Cardiff did a week ago...

Cmon Scarlets Yahoo  

Yes

No.

Game over.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 8:47 pm

Have both sides been on the sherry at half time?! Christ!

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 18 May 2018, 8:49 pm

Horne off? He's saved the Weegies at least two tries. Fair enough he's box kicked too much but.....

Far worse players out there in swinson, Wilson, Grigg. And Russell, well he's already on the plane to France
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 8:51 pm

Wilson surely won that turnover!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next