Durham vs Yorkshire
Glamorgan vs Gloucestershire
Surrey vs Somerset

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Re: Royal London One Day Cup

Post by LondonTiger on Wed 16 May 2018, 1:40 pm

Winners - (Tricky due to number of players at IPL) Surrey
Failures - Yorkshire. Likely to have a lot of players in the England ODI squad but will not see most of those come Friday.
Player to Watch - Adil Rashid (perhaps only chance Yorkshire members will get)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 17 May 2018, 12:14 pm

Jimbo - thanks for setting up the thread. It's always good to have something immediately there to hang comments on.

Winners - Surrey could go one better than being a losing finalist as has been the case in the last 3 years but I'll go for Dizzy's Sussex.
Can anyone tell me when Roy should be back from the IPL? If he's still in India when Stoneman is playing Tests, Surrey could be a batsman light - they have some quality batters but little as back up.

Failures - I have to go along with Tiger and say Yorks. Different format obviously, but they didn't have much fight about them when at the Oval last week which was surprising and disappointing. They also seem to lack all rounders who can be so handy in the limited overs game.

Player to Watch - sticking with Sussex and experience, I'll say Danny Briggs. [Jimbo - Pope has got talent and is well suited to the white ball game but, if he bats at 6, he might have to sacrifice his wicket too often to star in this year's competition - hope I'm wrong.]

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers on Fri 18 May 2018, 12:20 am

My thinking with Pope, Guildford, is that his CC form could earn him a role higher up in the order in the shorter formats. I might be wrong but that's my thinking!
Good call with Briggs, a very good one day bowler, was a big fan of him at Hampshire.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Fri 18 May 2018, 8:21 am

Hi Jimbo - you could be right about Pope batting higher up. Atm we're pretty uncertain about the order Surrey will go with.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 18 May 2018, 10:40 am

Winners? Notts - just an incredibly strong one day outfit, especially when Hales is back from IPL
Failures? Surrey - think this will be the year their lack of lower order oomph comes back to haunt them, plus no Sanga will hit them hardest in this format imo
Player to watch? Sam Hain
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Sat 19 May 2018, 10:56 am

He failed the other day, but watch our for Ed Pollock at Warwickshire. He was impressive in the T20 last year.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sat 19 May 2018, 12:04 pm

JD - having now parked my bad and grouchy temper from Surrey's dreadful display yesterday, it's only fair to say that Somerset produced an impressive performance.

Anything the pitch offered, your seamers exploited well and fully. Overton and Trego were especially impressive. I also liked Abell's captaincy, particularly how he stuck to 4 bowlers when the kill was on and gave Pirate Pete his 10 on the reel. Your bowlers had good support in the field as well, making it tricky to get the ball out of the circle. Super catch from Waller running in and diving to get Jimbo's tip Pope. The game was already over by the time you batted but Myburgh made short work of it. For a small guy, he's a powerful hitter.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers on Sat 19 May 2018, 1:19 pm

Good to see Brad Taylor get a game for us today. 180 runs in the second xi this week. Just completed his 10 overs for a respectable 44 runs. Also Crane's first game back since injury.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sat 19 May 2018, 9:22 pm

Jimbo's Hants squeak home by 2 wickets against Sussex. McManus, Berg and Crane all making vital runs to turn the tide. It does seem though that Sussex's skipper Brown goofed in sharing 11 overs between Rawlins and Wells who working as a combo were the 5th bowler and the weak link.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Sat 19 May 2018, 9:42 pm

guildfordbat wrote:JD - having now parked my bad and grouchy temper from Surrey's dreadful display yesterday, it's only fair to say that Somerset produced an impressive performance.

Anything the pitch offered, your seamers exploited well and fully. Overton and Trego were especially impressive. I also liked Abell's captaincy, particularly how he stuck to 4 bowlers when the kill was on and gave Pirate Pete his 10 on the reel. Your bowlers had good support in the field as well, making it tricky to get the ball out of the circle. Super catch from Waller running in and diving to get Jimbo's tip Pope. The game was already over by the time you batted but Myburgh made short work of it. For a small guy, he's a powerful hitter.

Thanks for the report Guildford. I don't have too many hopes for Somerset in the short stuff this year, batting is a bit fragile and my thoughts were the seamers are better 4 day bowlers - certainly Overton anyway. But good to see they started well anyway!

Abell must have something about him to be thust into the leadership role as he has at a young age (only 24), and it seems to be paying off this year!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum