Greatest Prop Tries

Go down

Greatest Prop Tries

Post by doctor_grey on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:57 pm

In this fallow period with little Rugby and we have to spend more time with our significant others, I thought it might be entertaining to look at some Rugby video. Rather than looking at old matches, how about we share videos of tries by Props? There shouldn't be too many, obviously, and except for the pick and go types, should be somewhat entertaining. Not limited to Internationals, Props scoring at any time is fine.

Lumbering, unlovely, smelly. And those are the good points. Also, they know how to rid themselves of pesky little things known as backs.

Here it my first shot at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOUVNyxXkp0

doctor_grey

Posts : 8156
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by whocares on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Yep that number 23 is a prop (ok from Fiji).
Still he makes Huget look like a fool which is a big bonus Smile

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XwZKrdq-UKk


whocares

Posts : 4129
Join date : 2011-04-14
Age : 41
Location : France - paris area

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by propdavid_london on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Ah, that was the golden season of Tonga'uiha and Mujati - great pairing for Saints

propdavid_london

Posts : 3151
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by GeordieFalcon on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Ok I know this isn't a try...but I still think this is one of the great feats from a prop!

Matt Mullans tackle on James Hook - Its from 0.42secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQcRq5x9Dc

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 20497
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by No9 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:56 pm

ALL OUT!!! warning

These all contravene Front Row Union rules... Until normal service is resumed this post is an official picket line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No9

Posts : 1255
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : South Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by GeordieFalcon on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Of course theres this cracking effort from Gethin "the Gazelle" Jenkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37ygIea_3A

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 20497
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:20 am

This was a pretty spectacular effort from WP Nel from the 10m line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wsz0JoNdPM


RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 24893
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 31
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by LondonTiger on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 am



It may only have been from 30m or so, but the initial line to take him between Clifford and Horwill, then wrong footing Mike Brown and leaving him on the grass make this try a thing of beauty from Greg Bateman. That he looks like the guy who props for the 3rds at your local club makes it even better.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18413
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by LordDowlais on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:13 am

There is one try that has gone down in folklore here in Wales. The year was 1975, Wales were playing France in the 5 nations, it would be Wales last win in Paris for 24 years, Graham Price picks the ball up and runs a try in from 20/30/40/50/60 yards, it gets further out every time you read about it. Laugh

This was at a time when front row players were not the chiseled athletes of today, no, they were proper front rowers, with facial hair and neanderthal physiques. A time when if they ran 10 yards it was national news.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/31626089

LordDowlais

Posts : 12734
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by The Oracle on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:43 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Of course theres this cracking effort from Gethin "the Gazelle" Jenkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37ygIea_3A

I'd forgotten all about that! That is a thing of beauty! A dummy, sidestep, shimmy, barrelling run and then a flop over the line. Superb clap


Not as good, but another Gethin Jenkins try. Nice charge down, lovely footballing skills and then a nice belly flop to score over the line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tX2FR8t-vM
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1430
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Cardiff Dave on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 am

LordDowlais wrote:There is one try that has gone down in folklore here in Wales. The year was 1975, Wales were playing France in the 5 nations, it would be Wales last win in Paris for 24 years, Graham Price picks the ball up and runs a try in from 20/30/40/50/60 yards, it gets further out every time you read about it. Laugh

This was at a time when front row players were not the chiseled athletes of today, no, they were proper front rowers, with facial hair and neanderthal physiques. A time when if they ran 10 yards it was national news.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/31626089

Greetings prop pickers and #1 for the 240,000th week in a row, it's Pricey.
Only 5 yards away from the try line when he picks up the ball btw.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6546
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by TJ on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Nel threw a dummy? did he realise that is not allowed unless you are a back?

I am sure there is a really good one from Zander Fagerson somewhere but I can't find it

TJ

Posts : 7220
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:17 pm

TJ wrote:Nel threw a dummy?  did he realise that is not allowed unless you are a back?

I am sure there is a really good one from Zander Fagerson somewhere but I can't find it

Is that the one where he trampled over the poor 9 after a sneaky lineout move 5m out?

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 24893
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 31
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by LondonTiger on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:19 pm

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/pwassell/video-eleven-of-the-greatest-prop-tries-ever/

LondonTiger

Posts : 18413
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by The Oracle on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:33 pm

One of my favourite players of all time is Rod Snow. An absolute legend at Newport RFC (and a season or two at the Dragons). He was/is the highest ever point scorer at Newport RFC and the Dragons - 150 points (30 tries) in his Newport RFC days. But that didn't mean he was just a luxury prop. He was an excellent all rounder - strong in the scrum, an excellent carrier, fast, mobile, good try scorer, etc. What we'd give for him in his prime now. Legend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8iROONxGWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzEy9-xViM



avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1430
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:43 pm

The Oracle wrote:One of my favourite players of all time is Rod Snow.  An absolute legend at Newport RFC (and a season or two at the Dragons).  He was/is the highest ever point scorer at Newport RFC and the Dragons - 150 points (30 tries) in his Newport RFC days.  But that didn't mean he was just a luxury prop.  He was an excellent all rounder - strong in the scrum, an excellent carrier, fast, mobile, good try scorer, etc.  What we'd give for him in his prime now.  Legend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8iROONxGWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzEy9-xViM




Loved the fullback Sh**ting it in the first video on 40s! Laugh

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 24893
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 31
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by LondonTiger on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:50 pm

For backs pooing themselves - what do you think went through Jack Nowells mind?


LondonTiger

Posts : 18413
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:56 pm

To be fair at least Nowell attempted the tackle!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 24893
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 31
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by LondonTiger on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:05 pm

I saw that try from behind the posts. As Nowell got gingerly to his feet he certainly seemed to be checking he was in one piece. Have to say he did not get quite so close to Logo on a later burst, but cannot blame him.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18413
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:53 pm

This was handy enough from Alex Allan a few years ago. I was there Sad

https://youtu.be/9QWJFnTNRdo

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22913
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 40
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Mr Bounce on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Love this effort from Vincent Debaty in 2015 against England. Brilliant support work and the French ran it from their own 22. Poor Vinnie looked a bit tired at the end of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2kPYfbcSms

Mr Bounce

Posts : 2262
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : East of Florida, West of Felixstowe

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by doctor_grey on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:42 pm

OK, the Hooker actually scores this but it is all Os Du Rant. Watch the hit he puts on the poor, dumb lad who gets in his way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKWn33CVZ-4

doctor_grey

Posts : 8156
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by jimbopip on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Was it not a replacement prop who scored the winner for the WelshWalians against the Boks at the weekend?

I consider that an unbeatable prop try, a true classic.

He had to run -2 metres to cross the try line (yes minus two metres), carried the ball for 0 metres and belly flopped onto it to score.

And in true front row-put the backs in their place- we do all the hard work style....it won the feccin game!!!!


Doc, I just noticed that Northampton are hosting Glasgow in a pre season friendly, 24th August, if you're on the right side of the Atlantic I may allow you to by me a pint.

jimbopip

Posts : 4307
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by The Oracle on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:14 pm

jimbopip wrote:Was it not a replacement prop who scored the winner for the WelshWalians against the Boks at the weekend?

I consider that an unbeatable prop try, a true classic.

He had to run -2 metres to cross the try line (yes minus two metres), carried the ball for 0 metres and belly flopped onto it to score.

And in true front row-put the backs in their place- we do all the hard work style....it won the feccin game!!!!


Doc, I just noticed that Northampton are hosting Glasgow in a pre season friendly, 24th August, if you're on the right side of the Atlantic I may allow you to by me a pint.


I believe it was Ryan Elias, a hooker.  Sorry!

And......WelshWalians? Was ist das?!
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1430
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Poorfour on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Surely the greatest prop try of all time, almost by definition, is Jason Leonard’s sole international try in 117 caps, which IIRC was scored in his final game? A whole career of not scoring capped by stealing the glory right at the end is proper prop behaviour.

Poorfour

Posts : 3888
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by doctor_grey on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:51 pm

jimbopip wrote:Doc, I just noticed that Northampton are hosting Glasgow in a pre season friendly, 24th August, if you're on the right side of the Atlantic I may allow you to by me a pint.
If I am back home that weekend - and we usually try to be back towards the end of august right before school starts - then the first pint is on me!

doctor_grey

Posts : 8156
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by jimbopip on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:56 pm

The Oracle wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Was it not a replacement prop who scored the winner for the WelshWalians against the Boks at the weekend?

I consider that an unbeatable prop try, a true classic.

He had to run -2 metres to cross the try line (yes minus two metres), carried the ball for 0 metres and belly flopped onto it to score.

And in true front row-put the backs in their place- we do all the hard work style....it won the feccin game!!!!


Doc, I just noticed that Northampton are hosting Glasgow in a pre season friendly, 24th August, if you're on the right side of the Atlantic I may allow you to by me a pint.


I believe it was Ryan Elias, a hooker.  Sorry!

And......WelshWalians? Was ist das?!

Oracular One,

Ryan Elias Shocked My granny always told me never to trust a man with two first names. A hooker pretending to be a prop and stealing the glory with the most Monty Pythonesque of tries just confirms her wisdom.

jimbopip

Posts : 4307
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:17 am

jimbopip wrote:Ryan Elias Shocked  My granny always told me never to trust a man with two first names.

Barry John, John Leslie... there must be others, but I can't think of any!

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22913
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 40
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by propdavid_london on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 am

Not a prop or a try - but does anyone remember Trevor Leota (wasps) flattening a young mascot as he exited the players tunnel.
Funniest thing ever, cant find the clip though.....

propdavid_london

Posts : 3151
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:29 am

Gareth Thomas, Arwel Thomas, Teddy Thomas....

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22913
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 40
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Margin_Walker on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Correct answer is Halani Aulika

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP-rtldjZYk

Margin_Walker

Posts : 446
Join date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Poorfour on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Margin_Walker wrote:Correct answer is Halani Aulika

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP-rtldjZYk

That’s a cracking effort - very embarrassing for the fullback. Aulika actually came and coached our mini rugby session one week a few years ago, and brought some mates with him. Lovely guy.

Poorfour

Posts : 3888
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Poorfour on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:37 pm

On the other hand, why go round when you can go over?

Throwing the Sinck at them - @44s

Poorfour

Posts : 3888
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatest Prop Tries

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum