The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion

+30
mikey_dragon
Anglobraveheart
takethelongroad
EST
bsando
EWT Spoons
Geordie
St John The Enforcer
Totalflanker
highland_scot
sensisball
funnyExiledScot
nickj
IanBru
demosthenes
des
LondonTiger
Tramptastic
TJ
Eejit
jimbopip
SirBurger
George Carlin
BigGee
Welly
TheMildlyFranticLlama
tigertattie
NeilyBroon
RDW
Hazel Sapling
34 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion - Page 2 Empty 20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 04 Jun 2018, 11:19 am

First topic message reminder :

Edinburgh Squad

LH's: Schoeman, Dell, Marfo, Sutherland
Hookers: McInally, Ford, Fenton, Cherry
TH's: Nel, Berghan, McCallum, Ceccarelli
Second Row: Gilchrist, Toolis, McKenzie, Carmichael, Hunter-Hill
Back Row: Barclay, Hamilton, Crosbie; Watson, Ritchie; Bradbury, Mata, Miller, Nayalo

SH's: Pyrgos, Fowles, Kennedy, Shiel
FH's: Hickey, VDW, McLelland, Baggott
Centres: Scott, Socino, Bennett, Dean, Johnstone, G Taylor
Back 3: Fife, VDM, Hoyland, Brown, Graham; Kinghorn

Forward Total: 26
- Internationals: 16 (14 Scots, 1 Italian, 1 Fijian)
- NSQ: 4 (1 of whom is a project)
- Under 25 (as of September 1st, 2018): 7 (2 capped)
Backs Total: 20
- Internationals: 8 (Socino lone non-Scot)
- NSQ: 4 (2 projects)
- Under 25 (as of September 1st, 2018): 10 (2 capped)

Total: 46

Glasgow Squad

LH's: Bhatti, Allan, Kebble
Hookers: Brown, Turner, Stewart, Bryce
TH's: Fagerson, Nuka, Rae, Nicol
Second Row: Gray, Swinson, Cummings, McDonald, Brian, Peterson, Davidson
Back-Row: M Fagerson, Harley; Gibbins, Smith, Fusaro; Wilson, Ashe, Tameilau, Flockhart

SH's: Price, G Horne,Frisby, Mata, Baletto
FH's: Horne, Hastings, Jackson
Centres: Dunbar, H Jones, Johnson, Dunbar, Grigg, P Kelly
Back 3: Seymour, VDM, L Jones, Masaga, Tagive, Hughes, Beattie, Nairn; Hogg, Thomson

Forward Total: 27
- Internationals: 15 (12 Scots, 2 Americans, 1 Tongan)
- NSQ: 6 (2 projects)
- Under 25 (as of September 1st, 2018): 11 (4 capped, both projects)
Backs Total: 24
- Internationals: 14 (10 Scots, 1 Fijian, 1 Kiwi, 1 Canadian, 1 Aussie)
- NSQ: 4 (No projects if Thomson is already tied to SA)
- Under 25 (as of September 1st, 2018): 8 (1 capped)

Total: 51

Overall: 97 players
- Internationals: 53 (43 Scots)
- NSQ: 19 (5 projects)
- Under 25: 36 (9 capped)

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 11:20 am; edited 14 times in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion

Post by BigGee Thu 07 Jun 2018, 11:54 am

Can't see Tagive leaving, he has only just got himself fit again and got a new contract last year, he will surely want to prove that he is worth it.

Masaga has been a disappointment and you wonder if he really does have the appetite for it any more, I guess we will see if he comes back for pre-season. He is contracted for another year though.

We do seem a little bit top heavy with wingers now, which maybe supports the idea that Niko might be moving back in to SH, which was always his preferred position. That would be the obvious answer if one of our scrummies does move East.

Flockhart is a 6/8 backrow player. Looked pretty good in that very good U20s team of last year, but still needs to prove himself at Pro level. They must see something in him though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 20th Gathering of Edinburgh and Glasgow Discussion

Post by tigertattie Thu 07 Jun 2018, 3:31 pm

Can't beleive we're on page 2 of our 20th pi$h talk thread! laughing

There can't be another nation on earth than can talk so much gibberish about rugby! Hug
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 08 Jun 2018, 8:27 am

tigertattie wrote:Can't beleive we're on page 2 of our 20th pi$h talk thread! laughing

There can't be another nation on earth than can talk so much gibberish about rugby! Hug

To be fair, most of our gibberish isn't about rugby!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 08 Jun 2018, 9:41 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Can't beleive we're on page 2 of our 20th pi$h talk thread! laughing

To be fair, most of our gibberish isn't about rugby!

We're also down a few men!

FES is gone I think - too busy billing 100s an hour for reading paperwork
Glove is AWOL - Too famous for us mere mortals now
ASBO is gone never to return - not until Scotland has a President at least
21st has stuck his head in the sand - He'll not be back until Glasgow start winning trophies again

Even Ruggeradge isn't around much these days!

Still, at least we have Jimbo to entertain us
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 08 Jun 2018, 11:07 am

Gentlemen, if I may be serious for a few moments.

RDW's comment about , "most of our gibberish isn't about rugby", is probably the reason why we manage to maintain such a healthy Posterati. (neologisms...doncha just love them?).

There is nothing more mind numbingly boring than stumbling on a thread which never goes beyond, "X is a better player than Y and the coach is useless if he can't see it." The beauty of "our thing", as the Sicilians say, is that it very often leavens the rugby diet with some sparkling, surrealist wit. (And then there is RDW).

I do worry when we lose good posters. I think this place is less amusing without the four guys TigerTattie mentioned, and ASBO and Schiz were both insightful and intelligent on occasion. Lest I be accused of bias; FES brought a lot to the party, even if most of it was carried in by his under-butler in a Fortnum and Mason's hamper.

What's to be done? Be nicer to each other and respect different viewpoints? Probably.

Anyhoo on a rugby note: I had a feeling that came close to Les Dawson's definition of mixed emotions, "Like watching your mother-in-law drive off a cliff in your brand new car". I saw a pic of the captains for the Canada v Scotland game: DTH and Mr Glass. Yes my emotions were mixed.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 08 Jun 2018, 11:28 am

I'm with you Jimbo - our random chat is the reason why this place is generally quite enjoyable. it is inevitable we will lose posters for various reasons (FES' new job blocked 606, Glove is too busy with his groupies, ASBO didn't like our independance chat and 21st is, well, 21st) but hopefully they will come back at some point.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 08 Jun 2018, 11:38 am

jimbopip wrote:
Gentlemen, if I may be serious for a few moments.

RDW's comment about , "most of our gibberish isn't about rugby", is probably the reason why we manage to maintain such a healthy Posterati. (neologisms...doncha just love them?).

There is nothing more mind numbingly boring than stumbling on a thread which never goes beyond, "X is a better player than Y and the coach is useless if he can't see it." The beauty of "our thing", as the Sicilians say, is that it very often leavens the rugby diet with some sparkling, surrealist wit. (And then there is RDW).

I do worry when we lose good posters. I think this place is less amusing without the four guys TigerTattie mentioned, and ASBO and Schiz were both insightful and intelligent on occasion. Lest I be accused of bias; FES brought a lot to the party, even if most of it was carried in by his under-butler in a Fortnum and Mason's hamper.

What's to be done? Be nicer to each other and respect different viewpoints? Probably.

Anyhoo on a rugby note: I had a feeling that came close to Les Dawson's definition of mixed emotions, "Like watching your mother-in-law drive off a cliff in your brand new car".  I saw a pic of the captains for the Canada v Scotland game: DTH and Mr Glass. Yes my emotions were mixed.

I'm no admin/MOD/DemiGod/Master & Chief (I'm not sure what the levels of moderator are) but I think overall the Scottish threads must be fairly low in terms of grief for them.  We don't really fall out here, for most their second team is the other scottish side, and will largely be supportive of them.

Of those who have left/not posted as much:

FES changed jobs, or his internet settings at work changed (can't remember which)  he called out that would prevent him from coming on here as much.
ASBO left for non rugby related stuff
GLOVE - Fame?  Not sure why he's not here as much.
21st - Seems to have a feast or famine approach to here, where sometimes he posts a lot and other times rarely.  I don't know the bloke personally, but I reckon he'll be back.
Radge - I think has the most sensitive swear filter in history so probably can't see a lot of the stuff being discussed here

Also this is the fallow time, where there are no games to discuss so we are left to chat about the other random gibberish that comes to people (Jimbo looking at you here Wink )

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 08 Jun 2018, 3:14 pm

I think you're not being very nice there, Mr Spoons. Now I feel all disrespected.

I'm off. Run

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 08 Jun 2018, 3:14 pm

Did you miss me?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 08 Jun 2018, 3:47 pm

jimbopip wrote:
Did you miss me?

did you leave?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 08 Jun 2018, 3:53 pm

PS. 21st will return again next season when Glasgow manage to get 3 or 4 wins in a row. I don't think he is of the glory hunting variety, but he certainly doesn't like being here when Glasgow aren't the number one team! He's an awffy one for giving it out but doesn't handle being able to take it!

No like us Edinburgh fans! We've been having to take it for a few years now!

but the worm has turned

did I mention the stat? of the last 8 games Edinburgh and Glasgow have played together, Edinburgh have won 6!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 08 Jun 2018, 4:05 pm

tigertattie wrote:
No like us Edinburgh fans! We've been having to take it for a few years now!

Always, Luvvies Always.

You see your new sponsor really fits in well with the ethos of the club.

You did miss me didn't you? kiss

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 08 Jun 2018, 4:09 pm

We’ll only admit we missed you if you come out with some obscure literary metaphor to describe your recent, (extremely) brief hiatus Jimbo

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 08 Jun 2018, 4:12 pm

Glasgow's new sponsor:

"Buckie can drown your sorrows after another trophyless season"

Even Visit Scotland have joined in!

Come to Scotland
Edinburgh has a beautiful castle
The Borders, steeped in history
The Western Isles: Caribbean looking beaches without the crime
Aberdeen - Even up here it's kinda nice in places
Glasgow. Big Bertha gives discounts the day before Giro day
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 08 Jun 2018, 5:24 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:We’ll only admit we missed you if you come out with some obscure literary metaphor to describe your recent, (extremely) brief hiatus Jimbo

Like Nostromo, when given time to contemplate my own place in the universe and faced with the realisation that I was not as significant as I had imagined I took the only course open: I came back to you.

Or

I was waiting for Godot. He caught the early bus so I wasn't away as long as I might have been.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 08 Jun 2018, 7:22 pm

Personally, I signed up here because the Glasgow forum is full of bellends. This thread has a far more favourable ratio.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 09 Jun 2018, 5:33 pm

Eejit wrote:Personally, I signed up here because the Glasgow forum is full of bellends. This thread has a far more favourable ratio.
Laugh

Glad to have you!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 09 Jun 2018, 5:45 pm

You see how Admin Boy automatically assumes he's not a bell end? Shocked

So what is a favourable ratio? Hopefully not "a certain ratio"?

At the 7's Scotland managed to beat Russia, who were poor at Twickenham, and despite beating Sarf Effrika earlier will fail to go through if the Boks can beat Canada. 21-0 to SA at the moment.picard

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 10 Jun 2018, 12:30 pm

https://theoffsideline.com/keith-russell-wins-case/

Finn Russell dad Keith wins his unfair dismissal case against the SRU. They and Dobson in particular, do not come out of this with any credit whatsoever. It is actually really damming, they have followed no statutory requirements whatsoever.

https://theoffsideline.com/keith-russell-not-good-guys/

KR understandably is fairly withering in his criticism of them. This is a very big story that could run on and have some severe ramifications.

Dobson letting success go to his head?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Jun 2018, 12:44 pm

That is so amateurish from Dodson and the senior HR person. The SRU are a big company and you can't act like that.

Dodson has been great for Scottish rugby but this is a bit of a shambles from him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 10 Jun 2018, 9:36 pm

Mark Palmer's version of events in the Sunday Times:

Employment tribunal mauls Scots rugby boss Mark Dodson for kicking out colleague

Keith Russell slams ‘autocratic culture’ of SRU as employment judge rules that union’s chief Mark Dodson had ‘no reasonable grounds’ for forcing him from £90,000-a-year post

Mark Palmer

June 10 2018, 12:01am,
The Sunday Times

Rugby Union

Dodson is driving ‘vanity projects’ at the union, according to Russell, who has won an unfair dismissal case against the SRU

Dodson is driving ‘vanity projects’ at the union, according to Russell, who has won an unfair dismissal case against the SRU
DAVID GIBSON

Share

Save

The father of one of Scotland’s most high-profile rugby players has won a case for unfair dismissal against the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU), whose chief executive, Mark Dodson, has been heavily criticised by the judge.

Keith Russell, father of Scotland stand-off Finn and a highly respected figure in Scottish sports administration, was forced from his £90,000-a-year post as director of domestic rugby last May in a move the judge described as “both procedurally and substantively unfair”.

In the ruling, Dodson, who was recently awarded a five-year contract extension by the SRU board, is lambasted for having failed to follow due process or properly explain — to the judge or to Russell — why he had lost faith in him.

“I was unable to find that the respondent employer honestly and reasonably held the belief that the claimant was not competent nor, and equally importantly, that there was a reasonable ground for that belief,” said Joseph d’Inverno, one of the UK’s leading employment judges.

“[The] decision to dismiss the claimant and the procedure followed . . . fell outwith the band of responses which a reasonable employer could adopt. The whole process when looked at in the round was unfair.”

Finn Russell has played for Scotland

Finn Russell has played for Scotland
DAVID ROGERS

Russell, who previously held senior local authority roles in sports provision for nearly 30 years and won praise for the participation initiatives he drove around the 2014 Commonwealth Games as head of sport for Glasgow Life, is now free to detail the “autocratic culture” and “vanity projects” he claims Dodson is driving.

Speaking in today’s Sunday Times, Russell is critical of the “heavy-handed, arrogant and dismissive” way in which the SRU interacts with the Scottish government and Sport Scotland, from which it receives about £1.5m of public money each year.

“The senior executives resent any attempt to tell them how the money should be spent, despite the fact that with initiatives such as the Cashback for Communities scheme, there are specific objectives about funding being targeted on areas of social deprivation,” he said.

“I was told by Mark [Dodson] and [SRU general counsel] Robert [Howat] to speak with the minister directly and state that how the money was spent was a matter for the union. From many years of experience dealing with central and local government, I knew that approach would be received extremely badly.

“It is, however, typical of the culture within Murrayfield, where it’s Mark’s way or the highway. It is simply not good governance. There is a total absence of scrutiny from the [SRU] board and council.”

A spokesman for the SRU said that it disagreed with “some areas of the ruling” but would not appeal. He added: “We will now be reviewing the judgment in detail and working with Mr Russell to conclude the process. Scottish Rugby stands by its decision to change the leadership of the domestic rugby department given the fundamental importance this area of the sport plays in all aspects of the game in Scotland.”

Between the settlement and legal fees, the case will cost the SRU a six-figure sum.

Finn Russell is himself no longer an SRU employee, having left Glasgow Warriors to join French club Racing 92.

Maybe not so surprising that Finn had a difficult season!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Jun 2018, 9:45 pm

I don't want to get too tin foil hat but I hope this didn't affect the SRU's desire to keep Finn Russell. I suspect not, and we could never match Racing's financial offer anyway!

Given what we're hearing about Dodson anything could be possible! Will be interesting to see how the SRU act on the media Poopie that will come next week - say nothing other than it has been dealt with and they won't say anything more, or come out defending themselves?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 10 Jun 2018, 11:47 pm

Jeepers - its easy to sack people fairly if you want to - sheer amateurism to man sausage up so badly that it costs you a fortune

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jun 2018, 5:20 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I don't want to get too tin foil hat but I hope this didn't affect the SRU's desire to keep Finn Russell. I suspect not, and we could never match Racing's financial offer anyway!

Given what we're hearing about Dodson anything could be possible! Will be interesting to see how the SRU act on the media Poopie that will come next week - say nothing other than it has been dealt with and they won't say anything more, or come out defending themselves?

Maybe not too tin foil hat!

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/glasgow-warriors/sru-made-life-awkward-for-finn-russell-claims-father-1-4752400

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Jun 2018, 8:27 pm

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=P9LICIEWFON00

Full mini Murrayfield proposal

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Jun 2018, 6:14 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=P9LICIEWFON00

Back from summer hollybobs back in the UK.

As I spent some time breathing the air of Ayrshire, I am now taller, slimmer and better looking.

Interesting planning application. The ER supporting statement for the application (typos included for Bru to find) is included (cannot copy and paste content):
http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/files/17FBC4B9B18BD24AC082CC20E777D803/pdf/18_02489_FUL-EDINBURGH_RUGBY_STATEMENT-3944281.pdf

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Jun 2018, 8:51 am

That ER statement is quite amateurish - you'd think they would get someone to proof read it! A few very obvious errors.

I'm quite underwhelmed looking at the 3D views of the stadium - for a 7.5k capacity the stands look very small and insignificant, with none of the stands being more than 10 rows deep. People make noise when you're in the safety of a large group and with the stands so small it will feel like there's not many people around you.

Scotstoun is around 7.5k and has a much bigger main stand than what is shown in those images.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 12 Jun 2018, 9:31 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:That ER statement is quite amateurish - you'd think they would get someone to proof read it! A few very obvious errors.

I'm quite underwhelmed looking at the 3D views of the stadium - for a 7.5k capacity the stands look very small and insignificant, with none of the stands being more than 10 rows deep. People make noise when you're in the safety of a large group and with the stands so small it will feel like there's not many people around you.

Scotstoun is around 7.5k and has a much bigger main stand than what is shown in those images.

Grandstand envy? First thing in the morning/ Shocked

Remember size isn't everything. Whistle

Always, Luvvies, Always.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:02 am

Guess Exeter really like Low to keep offering him contracts to play Anglo-Welsh Cup

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44440283

Has anyone else noticed that Codie Taylor (formerly of Glasgow, quite average) is starting for the All Blacks?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:13 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Guess Exeter really like Low to keep offering him contracts to play Anglo-Welsh Cup

Has anyone else noticed that Codie Taylor (formerly of Glasgow, quite average) is starting for the All Blacks?

When was he with Glasgow? Does not ring any bells with me.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:15 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Guess Exeter really like Low to keep offering him contracts to play Anglo-Welsh Cup

That's corie Taylor you are thinking of!

and yes he was bang average

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:43 am

Corey Flynn...so close Doh

Kept thinking it was weird how an old player was getting selected Laugh

My mind is going with each day I am cooped up working

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:58 am

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=P9LICIEWFON00

Back from summer hollybobs back in the UK.

As I spent some time breathing the air of Ayrshire, I am now taller, slimmer and better looking.

Interesting planning application. The ER supporting statement for the application (typos included for Bru to find) is included (cannot copy and paste content):
http://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/files/17FBC4B9B18BD24AC082CC20E777D803/pdf/18_02489_FUL-EDINBURGH_RUGBY_STATEMENT-3944281.pdf

On a slight tangent.... chin

One of the best things about leaving Glasgow, or anywhere in the central lowlands, is the absence of religious bigotry as institutionalised part of everyday life. The average Glaswegian should be awarded an Honorary Doctorate in semiotics upon reaching adulthood as everything has to be understood through orange and green lenses and almost everything means something else.
For instance if my children meet someone and s/he says they grew up in Anytown and my son/daughter says, "I used to live there, what school did you go to?" Then they are asking if they have friends or teachers in common. Ask the same question in parts of the central lowlands and you are asking something completely different Shocked .

So, sadly, I slipped into my Glaswegian habits (no, not Buckie and smack) when I read that the Luvvies new kit will be "the traditional blue and white and orange."

Oh aye? And will the new ground be called Loyal Lodge no 666?

I do sometimes wonder if the people who decide things like kit colours actually live in Scotland.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Jun 2018, 11:08 am

Jimbo there's no need to start your posts saying "on a slight tangent" - we take that for granted in anything you say! Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 12 Jun 2018, 11:22 am

Can't say I give two hoots about orange or green. I think that's because I've got zero interest in football which seems to be where this nonsense stems from.

It's great as it stops the bammers in their tracks when they ask "What team to you support" and I say "Edinburgh, but I'll happily cheer on Glasgow too"- leaves them dumbfounded!

Happily Rugby seems to have escaped the grasp of this pointless behavior. I went to Sunday school and would regard myself as an agnostic protestant (if that's even possible) but when I see the Orangemen strutting about I think they look utterly daft.

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Jun 2018, 12:15 pm

I grew up in the west lowlands in the 80s and 90s and thought that sectarianism was spectacularly stupid even then.

About the only laudible thing about the more global flavour of civil unrest and terrorism that we are subjected to nowadays is that it throws the sort of garbage I grew up listening to at football matches into sharp relief. In comparison, it's just not that important. There will always be people who never move more than 300 metres from where they were born and think that singing sectarian cr@p in sports stadia actually means something. Thank christ I am no longer anywhere near them. And neither are my children.

Incidentally, I am assuming that it's safe for Edinburgh to use orange in their kit now because Roddy Grant has retired.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 12 Jun 2018, 12:17 pm

George Carlin wrote:I grew up in the west lowlands in the 80s and 90s and thought that sectarianism was spectacularly stupid even then.

About the only laudible thing about the more global flavour of civil unrest and terrorism that we are subjected to nowadays is that it throws the sort of garbage I grew up listening to at football matches into sharp relief. In comparison, it's just not that important. There will always be people who never move more than 300 metres from where they were born and think that singing sectarian cr@p in sports stadia actually means something. Thank christ I am no longer anywhere near them. And neither are my children.

Incidentally, I am assuming that it's safe for Edinburgh to use orange in their kit now because Roddy Grant has retired.

It's a homage to the great man.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Jun 2018, 8:50 am

Should we be concerned about a lack of signing news from Glasgow? It is quite late in the day now as all deals for next season should pretty much be done.
Pre-season training has started now too. Usually it is only Super Rugby signings that are announced later, but the downside of those players is you usually have to wait until October to get them, and they normally aren't overly effective in their first season having done a full season previously.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Jun 2018, 9:02 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Should we be concerned about a lack of signing news from Glasgow? It is quite late in the day now as all deals for next season should pretty much be done.
Pre-season training has started now too. Usually it is only Super Rugby signings that are announced later, but the downside of those players is you usually have to wait until October to get them, and they normally aren't overly effective in their first season having done a full season previously.

With Glasgow, have they lost many players? I know Sarto has gone and Finn, but other than that has there been much in the way of a clear out? I only ask because they'll need to balance their squad and I don't know if they'll be able to bring in a lot of players if they haven't gotten rid of many.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Jun 2018, 9:05 am

A good point. Looking at the squad summaries in the OP Glasgow have 4 more than Edinburgh!

Glasgow definitely need another LH though as they only have 3, plus despite having plenty back rows they could do with another big bruiser.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 13 Jun 2018, 12:19 pm

You know the calling up of Charlie Shiel to the Scotland squad has made me think about Cockers' comments re the Luvvies taking one of Glasgow's scrum halves.

I think there is no doubt that Horne The Younger is a class act, he should go on to have a stellar international career. Aldi Price and Henners Piecrust should both be in the squad for Japan next year.

However, if all three of them stay at Scotstoun then barring injury one of them will spend a lot of next season watching from the stand. This can't be good from a Scotland point of view. Also, young Kareem Barretto is held in very high esteem by the coaches at Scotstoun and will need to be involved in the first team squad PDQ for his own professional development.

So, there are convincing arguments for one of the 9's moving eastwards.

Similarly, Glasgow need a strong, hard running, ball carrying back rower. Imagine, Bradbury-Ashe-Fagerson. chin Is it worth swapping a 9 for that back row? Why Bradbury? Well, Cockers may have his faults but inconsistency isn't one of them. If he says something is an important principle to him then he usually sticks to it. When asked why Bradbury was in his bad books he replied that trust was the bed-rock of everything at a successful rugby club and Bradbury had lied to him. I imagine Cockers is pragmatic enough to allow a player to do public penance and earn the right to stay but, as Sam The Spaniard discovered, he isn't afraid to show a "star" player the door pour l'encouragement des autres" .

Of course, as MrsPip never tires of pointing out, I have been wrong before. picard

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 Jun 2018, 12:27 pm

Jim - I get the heebie jeebies at the thought of PantsOnFire-Lesley Ashe-Foetus Fagerson being our first choice back row. My haircut is older than all of them. We bombed on the league this year because our pack just wasn't up to it. We need old warriors (dare I suggest Super Rugby hard cases) to teach our younger kids how to suck their grandmother's eggs. Or something.

Probably not that. That's disgusting.

Anyway, the fact remains that this is the area of weakness which Rennie has to recruit to fulfil. I hope to hell that he does or it's going to be a long season next year with us losing most games by 4 x driving maul tries to 2 x Completely Impossible length of the field scores by Horne and Hogg.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 13 Jun 2018, 12:37 pm

Well I never, Jimbo lusting after an Edinburgh forward, whatever next! Hard to deny after a string of 1872 cup shamings that the Weegie pack could do with a bit of Edinburgh grunt though Yahoo

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Jun 2018, 12:55 pm

Can't see Bradbury moving. He was named Edinburgh captain at the start of the season and whilst the off field stuff cost him that, there is no doubt Cockers rates him highly.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Jun 2018, 12:59 pm

I bloody hope he's not moving. Keep your hands off Mata too! boxing

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 13 Jun 2018, 1:05 pm

George, I know what you're saying; did you see the France-AB's under 20's last night? Now that was a man-shaming of Graham Norton squaring up to Ken Norton proportions.

However, DR's master plan requires fast mobile forwards. I feel really sorry for Rob Harley who is almost brilliant at all aspects of no6 play except for the ball carrying bit. He reminds me of Peter Cook's agent explaining why a one-legged actor couldn't play Tarzan, "Your left leg is great. I've got nothing against your left leg. Unfortunately, neither have you." The Foetus will become an established Scotland player. If Arthur Ashe ever gets back to fitness he is streets ahead of Claire Baldwin. Mr Mendacity looks like he can carry and pass which puts him ahead of Rob Harley, but then Harley is probably better at every other aspect of being a 6.

I think the case for Henners getting more first team rugby is more pressing than Bradbury joining us...but we do need a ball carrying 6.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 13 Jun 2018, 1:38 pm

The Glasgow players and coaches are all still on holiday. DR said they were all going to have a month off this year, so I don't think there is anyone at Scotstoun atm.

Hopefully we will see a bit of signing action when they all get back, next week I think.

They have talked about having made some signings and so you can't imagine they are then going to turn around and say, ha ha we were just joking! The Glasgow fans (those on their forum at any rate) are pretty narked about all the other stuff going on in any case.

I am sure we will see some new players. If they are SH ones though, we may not see them at the start of the season!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Jun 2018, 1:48 pm

Edinburgh announce a new main sponsor - financial advisers Principal and Prosper.

Interesting that they aren't tied to using BT Sport, although having re-read the sponsorship announcement it doesn't actually formally say that they will be Edinburgh and Glasgow's kit sponsors.

Doesn't sound like P&P are the biggest company going (I'm sure there are some financial types on here who know them) so can't imagine it will be worth a lot of money.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Jun 2018, 1:55 pm

looks like they have also, without any form of actual launch, shown their new strip for next season.

It looks good.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Jun 2018, 2:01 pm

Where did you see that? I doubt the pictures on the website of McInally and VDM are the new strips - they've just superimposed action photos onto their torsos!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next