The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+20
George1507
Eyetoldyouso
1GrumpyGolfer
Roller_Coaster
Davie
Diggers
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Be_the_ball
westisbest
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
JAS
pedro
beninho
dynamark
raycastleunited
wiretapper
McLaren
24 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 6 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Wed 23 May 2018, 1:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

kwinigolfer wrote:
McLaren wrote:Kwini

I reckon Harry has scored a double eagle.

She's a weird looking bird, more a bogey I'd say.

Kwini, you have very high standards. I seem to remember you thought Lexi was a bit of a minger.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited Wed 27 Jun 2018, 1:00 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:That would be an interesting debate:
Best sport for spectators: Football for me.
Best for playing: Cricket when I played, loved it.

The problem with playing cricket is spending half the day sitting in the pavilion while your team bats. Or all day in the pavilion when it rains.

At one point I was playing cricket 5 days a week, but in the end it was just too time consuming and golf won.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Wed 27 Jun 2018, 3:23 pm

Spectate TV: Football (excluding man utd Jose style)
Spectate attending: F1
Play: Golf
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Jun 2018, 4:57 pm

They think it's all over!
It is now!!
Deutschland, Deutschland under alles . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 27 Jun 2018, 4:58 pm

So, did anyon think England would go further then Germany?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 27 Jun 2018, 5:05 pm

Auf VARdersehen.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 27 Jun 2018, 6:25 pm

Joe Jackson just beat it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 27 Jun 2018, 8:26 pm

McLaren wrote:Spectate TV: Football (excluding man utd Jose style)
Spectate attending: F1
Play: Golf

I've never been to an F1 race but always imagined it was a bit rubbish for spectators, as you can only see a glimpse of the action.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 27 Jun 2018, 8:33 pm

I've bee not to F1. Dullest sporting day of my life and a long one, you have to get to the circuit stupidly early to get a spot. Moro GP on the other hand, pretty entertaining.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jun 2018, 10:39 pm

I saw a downhill World Cup Ski Race back in the "Hermanator" days and I can imagine that's very like F1, you see a fraction of the action and it's gone in a flash and wait all day for a crash.

Tedious stuff, but I suppose at least in skiing it's more than a two horse race unlike F1 and the competitors are at least more likeable than Hamilton the jerk.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 28 Jun 2018, 1:42 pm

Super 

Seeing a crash live in motorsports is actually pretty horrific. You don't appreciate the brutal nature of the impact on TV. Once saw a gp2 driver go airborne at Spa and genuinely thought I'd witnessed a death. When the medics showed up I left as it felt voyeuristic. Turned out he only broke his back, but no lasting damage. Long story short you are not waiting on a crash.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 28 Jun 2018, 3:26 pm

The TV insulates you from the reality of a crash. Quite a lot of people I suspect are interested in the crashes, but when you see one at the scene I can imagine it to seem so much more real and that an actual person is in the middle of it all.

Whilst not having seen anything of the sort, I have heard of marshals for the TT who have had to pick body parts up.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 28 Jun 2018, 4:42 pm

super_realist wrote:I saw a downhill World Cup Ski Race back in the "Hermanator" days and I can imagine that's very like F1, you see a fraction of the action and it's gone in a flash and wait all day for a crash.

Tedious stuff, but I suppose at least in skiing it's more than a two horse race unlike F1 and the competitors are at least more likeable than Hamilton the jerk.

That's interesting, I'd always fancied watching a downhill Iv'e, maybe because the atmosphere always seems great. Perhaps a slalom would work better, or the new races where they compete against each other in a race, rather than the clock.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 28 Jun 2018, 6:25 pm

Hmm, not sure where I stand with so many changes. Pros and cons both ways I guess, really means the match in itself tells us nothing much about either side.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Jun 2018, 6:46 pm

Looking like another bore draw tonight. If it's like the Denmark game the other night, teams ought to get fined for it. If you do that in tennis you get pulled up for it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 28 Jun 2018, 6:58 pm

Slightly different in that you can't draw a tennis match, so if you don't try you really are tanking it. But I agree, unlikely to be a barnstormer.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jun 2018, 7:07 pm

Diggers wrote:Hmm, not sure where I stand with so many changes. Pros and cons both ways I guess, really means the match in itself tells us nothing much about either side.

Not sure how many are carrying injuries (Alli, Trippier?), but I'd definitely have kept the back three together, the wing-backs too, say with TAA in instead of Trippier.
Still, in Soughgate we (have to) trust).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 28 Jun 2018, 7:54 pm

First half shows for me why Sterling is a must starter, one word, movement. His is brilliant, especially off the ball. Vardy and Rashford just a bit too predictable, I don't really like them as a pair, would rather have Wellbeck and one of them. If he really wants to play a midfield role Loftus Cheek needs more than a few nice touches and drawing fouls. Henderson far more drive than Dier and, for me, he's the real captain of that England side. Kane leads by example, Henderson shouts and organises.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 28 Jun 2018, 8:11 pm

Its basically a training match, but makes think rashford shouldn't start, and Armstrong isn't quite ready.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Jun 2018, 8:13 pm

Clive Tyldsley has to be one of the worst commentators I've ever heard.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 28 Jun 2018, 8:34 pm

I do like Maquire, he can play a bit for a big unit. Think Rose has been very good today.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Jun 2018, 8:37 pm

Didn't Rose get turned inside out for the goal Diggers?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 28 Jun 2018, 8:48 pm

He could have closed better, think overall he's done really well, especially going forward. Like the balance a left footer brings.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Jun 2018, 8:51 pm

England seem to have limited creativity, especially with this team, and look pretty timid at the back, too scared to put a challenge in.

Rashford looks bright and Pickford looks quite assured. Sure they would have taken this at the start of the competition though. Best they've been in 20 years.

Would rather play Japan than Colombia though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Jun 2018, 9:22 pm

Difficult to see Southgate making any changes from his original XI though, unless Dele Alli is really unfit.
Also thought Rose grew into the game . . . . . . not sure that Ashley Young would have done better for the goal, plus Delph could have got a bit closer instead of turning his back.
I'd love to see Vardy in, but there doesn't seem much chance of him playing with Kane.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 29 Jun 2018, 9:12 pm

Disappointed for Nigeria the other night.
Really wanted them to go through.
They probably should of with the chances they had.

Maradonna classless again.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Jun 2018, 10:07 am

Id go with France and Uruguay today, whilst not being surprised if Argentina and Portugal go through! Which is good.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 30 Jun 2018, 10:24 am

I'm beginning to think England could see a semi final at the moment.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Jun 2018, 11:25 am

Bloody hell Super, calm down!! A big plus with playing Colombia is its in a fairly cool Moscow, other possible venue is hitting high thirties. Whoever we play in the quarter, should we make it, will be Northern European, so no advantage for either side.
Tuesday will be tight, could go either way but I think we'll squeeze through. I would fancy us more against Sweden or the Swiss, think this England side would look at the players they know and say we should win this.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 30 Jun 2018, 11:49 am

Don't get too carried away Diggers, it's not because I'm especially impressed with England (who like Portugal and Argentina rather rely on one player), but they've been fortunate with about an easy as draw as you could hope for combined with some truly terrible efforts from teams in the World Cup who might have been favourites (Germany, Argentina) and those who failed to qualify like Netherlands and Italy making it the most open World Cup for decades. One word of caution though is France are sneaking under the radar with incredible stealth. You could almost forget they are even in it the coverage has been so little.

Bottom line is, if they don't do well this time, they've got zero chance in Qatar because pasty Englishmen haven't a hope in those conditions, even in winter. Get round to 2026 in North America and all of this current team will be getting their metaphorical bus pass and so they start again from the bottom.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Jun 2018, 12:37 pm

I agree completely re the draw being the main thing, but that's sometimes how things pan out. Spain or Croatia in a semi would probably be a bridge too far.
Temps only mid 20'sin Qutar in the winter, evening games cool, so can't see it being a massive issue. More years hopefully playing a system. Can see Sessegnon being a big part of this set up inside 2 years, Foden and Sanchez to add the creativity. I'm certainly positive about the next 6 years.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 30 Jun 2018, 9:39 pm

Messi and Ronaldo our of the World Cup today.
2 good games.

Group stages were decent and the knockout stage has delivered so far.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 30 Jun 2018, 9:47 pm

Yes Westi, Uruguay looked pretty comfortable all night.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 30 Jun 2018, 11:02 pm

Uruguay’s defence were absolutely outstanding, Portugal didn’t play badly and pressed them using four or five different approaches and they withstood (almost) everything. The France game was great fun but it’s nice to see a team defend properly, almost a forgotten rat. As was the two-striker partnership up top of Suarez and Cavani. Decidedly retro tactics worked well for them.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 01 Jul 2018, 12:40 am

Amazing Cavani scored on all his chances. At PSG it’d normally take hime 10 big chances to score one goal.

Both France and Uruguay were the better teams today. Not displeased to see Portugal and Argentina go home. Will miss Maradona though.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 01 Jul 2018, 12:42 am

If England can sneak past Colombia they’ll have the (on paper) easiest route to the final they could ever dream of.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 01 Jul 2018, 3:59 pm

Ronaldo going home. Yessss!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 01 Jul 2018, 5:49 pm

Spain going home, wow, that side of the draw looking wide open now. Croatia the best side left probably, but could easily go out to Denmark.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 01 Jul 2018, 9:50 pm

Croatia looking bang average against a well organised side. Should have enough to beat Russia though, feel for the Danes.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 01 Jul 2018, 10:09 pm

Thought the Danish defender was very lucky not to walk for the penalty, even allowing for the new double jeopardy rule. Good game, two well balanced teams trading tactics.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 01 Jul 2018, 11:11 pm

Sad to see Sergio Ramos go home, Sad  not

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Jul 2018, 7:22 am

You have to think it's either France's or Brazil's to win. Can't see any team remotely good enough to beat these two except for possibly Belgium.
FOr such a great World Cup so far, it's amazing how few teams have been impressive.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 02 Jul 2018, 7:29 am

The fact that the matcheshave been so competitive has made it enjoyable.
I fancy Belgium to beat Brazil if that quarter final happens. France favourites but wise to remember the choke against Portugal at the Euros.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Jul 2018, 7:38 am

NedB-H wrote:Thought the Danish defender was very lucky not to walk for the penalty, even allowing for the new double jeopardy rule. Good game, two well balanced teams trading tactics.

He made an attempt to go for the ball, so you can't send him off.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 02 Jul 2018, 7:59 am

super_realist wrote:
NedB-H wrote:Thought the Danish defender was very lucky not to walk for the penalty, even allowing for the new double jeopardy rule. Good game, two well balanced teams trading tactics.

He made an attempt to go for the ball, so you can't send him off.

Really? Where in the rules does it say that?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 02 Jul 2018, 9:29 am

super_realist wrote:You have to think it's either France's or Brazil's to win. Can't see any team remotely good enough to beat these two except for possibly Belgium.
FOr such a great World Cup so far, it's amazing how few teams have been impressive.
France, maybe. Brazil? Scheiss so far; can't see it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 02 Jul 2018, 11:17 am

A tackle by the last defender in the penalty area is a yellow card if he makes a genuine attempt to play the ball, super is correct. Rule got changed a couple of years ago.

My issue is I think the Danish guy was making a deliberate foul, his first thought was bringing down the striker and if he got the ball, bonus.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 02 Jul 2018, 4:09 pm

Worked out for Denmark, up untill the shoot out.
Would rather have seen Denmark go through.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 02 Jul 2018, 6:06 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:You have to think it's either France's or Brazil's to win. Can't see any team remotely good enough to beat these two except for possibly Belgium.

Big strength is they don't concede, goals or even shots. There keeper has made 1 save in each of the past 3 games. When you are that tight at the back, and have plenty of goal scoring players, you will always have a good chance against anyone.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Jul 2018, 6:41 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

I forgot about Uruguay as well actually.

Would put it as France, Belgium, Croatia, Brazil or Uruguay. England aren't good enough defensively and aren't creative enough.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 02 Jul 2018, 7:11 pm

Don't think you know either of those facts yet Super, that's what makes this World Cup interesting. We don't know how good this England side is, it's barely played together. That back 3 had had 9 more days of coaching, same for the forwards. I don't see us conceding many and we have plenty of goal scoring in the side.
Croatia barely created anything last night, Uruguay are set up defensively to hit on the break and have created very little really.
We'll know a lot more after tomorrow, wouldn't judge either way right now.
Looking for a Lukaku hat trick to go with Brazil's win, keep my 100-1 bet alive.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next