England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LondonTiger on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 11:09 am

First topic message reminder :

T20s

A three match series between the 2nd (India) and 4th ranked teams in the world https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/team-rankings/t20i

Fixtures

Tuesday 3rd July 2018 17:30
Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester

Friday 6th July 2018 17:30
Sophia Gardens Cardiff, Cardiff

Sunday 8th July 2018 14:00
The Brightside Ground, Bristol


Squads

England: Morgan, Ali, Bairstow, Ball, Buttler, Curran S, Curran T, Hales, Jordan, Plunkett, Rashid, Root, Roy, Willey (Malan in as cover for 1st game, Stokes may join for 3rd)

India: Kohli, Chahal, Chahar, Dhawan, Dhoni, Karthik, Kaul, Kuldeep Yadav, Kumar, Pandey, HH Pandya, KH Pandya, Rahul, Raina, Sharma UT Yadav


Key Men

Jos Buttler - move up the order during IPL has given him much more time to have an impact. While only ranked 26 in ICC rankings, this will improve now he opens.
Alex Hales - Formerly top ranked batter in T20s, has dropped a bit (to 7) and finds his place in the England side under threat.
Rashid/Ali - Englands spinners have thrived in the one day format, but will find the Indian batting lineup a tough test.

Virat Kohli - probably the best batsmen in the world across all 3 forms of the game. Some injury issues recently.
Chahal/Kuldeep Yadav - India look like going with two wrist spinners. England often struggle to score quickly against good spin.



ODIs

Fixtures

Another 3 match series between the the top two ranked sides in the world.  Both teams will be wanting to lay down a marker before next year's world cup.


Thursday 12th July 2018 12:30
Trent Bridge, Nottingham

Saturday 14th July 2018 11:00
Lord's, London

Tuesday 17th July 2018 12:30
Emerald Headingley, Leeds


Squads

England - Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Jos Buttler, Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, David Willey, Mark Wood.



Test Series

A form of cricket in which the visitors have been much better than the hosts. The series goes deep into September as India seek to avenge the series defeat in 2014. In a manner we have become used to seeing from touring teams around the world, that series India capitulated in the final 3 tests  having won the second test to take a 1-0 lead. India however look strong enough this time out to put pressure on a faltering home test team.


Fixtures

Wednesday 1st August 2018 11:00
Edgbaston, Birmingham

Thursday 9th August 2018 11:00
Lord's, London

Saturday 18th August 2018 11:00
Trent Bridge, Nottingham

Thursday 30th August 2018 11:00
Ageas Bowl, Southampton

Friday 7th September 2018 11:00
Kia Oval, London

LondonTiger

Posts : 18384
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down


Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LondonTiger on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 12:23 pm

Team I expect to see lineup for England come 1st Test:

Cook
Jennings
Root
Malan
Stokes (Woakes replacing him for T2)
Bairstow (wk)
Buttler
Ali
Broad
Wood
Anderson

Team I would pick would look quite different however.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18384
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LondonTiger on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 12:25 pm

I see that Pant and Rahane have just fallen to Woakes and Curran in successive overs against the Lions.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18384
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LondonTiger on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 1:05 pm

And a 5 wicket haul for Curran

LondonTiger

Posts : 18384
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 1:28 pm

Lions rightfully won't enforce the follow on - gives them two sessions to have more of a look at guys like Burns/Pope/Gubbins whilst giving Cook and Malan some more time in the middle - and then sets it up nicely on day four for Leach/Bess to have a "bowl off" on the final day almost
avatar
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 45397
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 23
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LivinginItaly on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 1:57 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Team I expect to see lineup for England come 1st Test:

Cook
Jennings
Root
Malan
Stokes (Woakes replacing him for T2)
Bairstow (wk)
Buttler
Ali
Broad
Wood
Anderson

Team I would pick would look quite different however.

Don't think Ali will be picked by the selectors. Most likely will be one of Bess or Leach. I would expect Woakes to play instead of Wood also.

LivinginItaly

Posts : 947
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Bologna, Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LondonTiger on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 2:35 pm

Normally I would agree about Woakes - but with Stokes absent from Test 2 and Woakes only just coming back from injury I can see them waiting till the 2nd test to bring him back.

Lord alone knows who will play as the spinner. Supposedly the current Lions game was a bowl out between Bess and Leach, but both are currently wicket-less. Ali's strong showing in the ODIs could see him favoured was my guess.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18384
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by alfie on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 2:36 pm

Depends on whether Woakes is considered "ready" I think...any doubt then I'd stick with Wood for now , as he seems to have improved through these ODIs. I'd also retain Bess - this might be reviewed depending on Lions last day ,perhaps.
Given Buttler is batting so well at present I would also push him up the order (five ?) to see if he can really be considered a long term prospect as batsman alone...if he has to bat at seven I'd
contend it isn't a viable plan for the future. Not sure the selectors see it that way though...

Guess they also have to be sure Broad and Anderson are fully fit. Don't want to be going in with one or more bowlers under any sort of fitness cloud. Think they'll leave the batting alone for now. And probably won't look to Moeen again just yet despite his good record against India.

Reckon they'll defer any possible dramatic changes until at least the third Test. At that point we will have a bit more of an idea about a few of the fringe selections.

alfie

Posts : 10021
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by KP_fan on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 2:50 pm

India has been in denial about their middle order i.e 5 &6 and that cost them series
not that they would have won, BUT could have run closers

Dhoni can't score quickly enuf and Raina is a 30s and 40s guy.....you need them to be big 50s and occasional 100 scorers
Such unforgiving is international cricket against top most sides that you have one chink....and it gets badly exposed
avatar
KP_fan

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by KP_fan on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 2:57 pm

Virat Kohli (Captain), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, M Vijay, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Karun Nair, Dinesh Karthik (wicket-keeper), Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Ishant Sharma, Mohd. Shami, Umesh Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Shardul Thakur.

Test Match squad of 18 and for only 3 tests...they have changed the definition of an overseas tour Indians...treating it like a home series
Variables for India
1) whether to play Aswin and Kuldeep + Pandya "+ 2 seamers
Or a 3rd seamer instead of Kudeep

2) Kaarthik or Rishab as WK

I think if its a seaming green pitch Ind will play the 3rd seamer...on Lords / Oval like relatively flatter pitches kuldeep should play

I want them to select Rishab from the first test but know they will play DK...he will drop crucial catches in two tests and then they will bring in Rishab


1) Vijya
2) Rahul
3) Pujara
4) Kohli
5) Rahane
6) Karthik
7) Pandya
8) Ashwin
9) Bhuvi
10) Shami / Kuldeep
11) Bumrah

that's capable batting down to No. 10 who you can count on for 15 odd runs OK
avatar
KP_fan

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by alfie on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 3:04 pm

Suspect KP_fan is pretty close with that batting lineup...maybe not Bhuvi or Bumrah though ...fitness issues ?

As to England I guess I shouldn't write off Sam Curran. Five wickets in Lions match can't have hurt his prospects. But I think they'd rather Wood's pace...

alfie

Posts : 10021
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by KP_fan on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 7:01 pm

alfie wrote:Suspect KP_fan is pretty close with that batting lineup...maybe not Bhuvi or Bumrah though ...fitness issues ?

As to England I guess I shouldn't write off Sam Curran.  Five wickets in Lions match can't have hurt his prospects.  But I think they'd rather Wood's pace...

they've been resting Bhuvi to overcome his niggle
and Bumrah had a cracked thumb whihc has healed
avatar
KP_fan

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2012-07-27

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Jetty on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 1:29 am

1 Cook
2 Jennings
3 Root
4 Malan
5 Bairstow
6 Stokes
7 Buttler
8 Bess
9 S Curran
10 Broad
11 Anderson

Woakes for Stokes at Lords

Jetty

Posts : 204
Join date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by alfie on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 7:16 am

KP_fan wrote:
alfie wrote:Suspect KP_fan is pretty close with that batting lineup...maybe not Bhuvi or Bumrah though ...fitness issues ?

As to England I guess I shouldn't write off Sam Curran.  Five wickets in Lions match can't have hurt his prospects.  But I think they'd rather Wood's pace...

they've been resting Bhuvi to overcome his niggle
and Bumrah had a cracked thumb whihc has healed

According to cricinfo , Bhuvi is on his way back to India for rehab after aggravating his injury the other day...certainly he's not named in the Test squad. And they've also said they're not considering Bumrah for the first Test. Though perhaps that might change.
With five Tests close together I think they'll be careful with the vital pace men. As , I think , will England ; so we might see a bit of "rotation".

alfie

Posts : 10021
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by alfie on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 12:34 pm

If there was any thought of using the Lions game as a "bowl off" between Leach and Bess , it looks like coming to nothing with India 80/5 to the pace men in their second innings...
The two spinners had 14 wicketless overs between them in the first innings ; and I'm not sure they're going to get a lot more this time round.
I guess Woakes is going some way to proving his fitness , and Cook and Malan had some useful batting time ; but I'm not sure this match is helping the selectors too much. Sam Curran will be happy with his bowling , perhaps ; might keep him in the frame ?

alfie

Posts : 10021
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 12:52 pm

alfie wrote:If there was any thought of using the Lions game as a "bowl off" between Leach and Bess , it looks like coming to nothing with India 80/5 to the pace men in their second innings...
The two spinners had 14 wicketless overs between them in the first innings ; and I'm not sure they're going to get a lot more this time round.
I guess Woakes is going some way to proving his fitness , and Cook and Malan had some useful batting time ; but I'm not sure this match is helping the selectors too much. Sam Curran will be happy with his bowling , perhaps ; might keep him in the frame ?

With reference to how little cricket they've been playing at international or county level this season, several Surrey supporters have speculated that England want the Curran brothers for their apparent skills at mixing lime cordials! Wink

guildfordbat

Posts : 12484
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 6:08 pm

Seems Rashid will play the tests too
avatar
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 45397
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 23
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 6:18 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Seems Rashid will play the tests too

(And I should say I would be massively behind this selection - he’s the best spinner we have)
avatar
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 45397
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 23
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 6:24 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Seems Rashid will play the tests too

(And I should say I would be massively behind this selection - he’s the best spinner we have)

I look forward to reading the reaction from Yorks CC supporters on the White Rose forum.

guildfordbat

Posts : 12484
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by guildfordbat on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 6:49 pm

Meanwhile, a very convincing win by the Lions against India A. By more than 250 runs with the second innings wickets shared around.

The winning captain was Rory Burns on his Lions debut. Unlike many Surrey supporters, I'm not a strong campaigner for Burns to play Test cricket. I'm not particularly against the guy, I just tend to feel his level is at the county game where he is a good to very good player. His scores of 5 and 38 in this game won't do much to get him a Test cap this summer but the manner of the win under his leadership may help to get him on the tour to Sri Lanka later this year.

guildfordbat

Posts : 12484
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 7:50 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Seems Rashid will play the tests too

(And I should say I would be massively behind this selection - he’s the best spinner we have)

I look forward to reading the reaction from Yorks CC supporters on the White Rose forum.

Oh they will be fuming Very Happy , bless their little parochial cotton socks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-vs-india-test-series-adil-rashid-wicket-team-news-latest-odi-a8455161.html

LondonTiger

Posts : 18384
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by alfie on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 11:59 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Seems Rashid will play the tests too

(And I should say I would be massively behind this selection - he’s the best spinner we have)

Not sure that article guarantees Rashid's selection. More the typical Bayliss "this is an option" non story ...he confirms lack of red ball Cricket won't rule him out ; but also indicates Leach remains first choice spinner - even throws Moeen back into the mix.
Guess with all this dry weather , the perennial "might pick two spinners" rumour wouldn't be quite as silly as usual. But I'd caution that this Indian team is likely to play spin a lot better in the five day game than they do when the need to score at eight per over forces errors in ODIs. If England are to bowl them out twice I still suspect the pace men are going to play a big part.

alfie

Posts : 10021
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LivinginItaly on Fri 20 Jul 2018, 7:37 am

Although Rashid is undoubtably very effective in the shorter game, I am yet to be convinced that he will ever become a force in test cricket. As mentioned above I rather think he benefits from the pressure to score runs at a high rate in the shorter form, whereas in the longer form he lacks consistency with his regular lose balls releasing any pressure on the batsman.

LivinginItaly

Posts : 947
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Bologna, Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Fri 20 Jul 2018, 8:09 am

I know he’s unlikely to be *as* good as he is in ODIs, but he did take 30 wickets at an average of 35 in India in 2016, which isn’t amazing figures but much better than any English spinner has achieved abroad in a while - and he’s also improved a lot since then as a bowler (even in ODIs he doesn’t throw in the full tosses/long hops he used too)

I wouldn’t be against it - he should definitely go on the Sri Lanka tour at least
avatar
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 45397
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 23
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LivinginItaly on Fri 20 Jul 2018, 11:31 am

My team for the first test would be

Cook
Jennings
Root
Malan
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes / S. Curran (depending on fitness of woakes)
Bess
Broad
Anderson

I would play Buttler at 5 and Bairstow at 7, even if surely the selectors will have it the other way round. I think Buttler has to prove he is a top 6 batsman to justify his place in the team, and being such an excellent player of spin I would like him in earlier rather than later against India on what are likely to be unusually helpful pitches.

LivinginItaly

Posts : 947
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Bologna, Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Fri 20 Jul 2018, 2:30 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I know he’s unlikely to be *as* good as he is in ODIs, but he did take 30 wickets at an average of 35 in India in 2016, which isn’t amazing figures but much better than any English spinner has achieved abroad in a while - and he’s also improved a lot since then as a bowler (even in ODIs he doesn’t throw in the full tosses/long hops he used too)

I wouldn’t be against it - he should definitely go on the Sri Lanka tour at least
Rashid took 23 wickets at 37 and even on turning pitches he was getting smashed around at 3.7rpo. He got at least half of his wickets with long hops and pies. He’s not good enough simple as that

Nathaniel Jacobs

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2016-12-17

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:57 am

ADILLLLLLLL

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Posts : 21064
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 29
Location : Wollongong

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Duty281 on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 3:30 pm

It'll be a close series, but I make India 60/40, maybe 65/35, favourites.

Simply, India have won 10 out of their last 11 test series and possess a much stronger team. Yes, they're normally garbage outside of the sub continent, but they certainly came away with some merit in South Africa earlier in the year. I'm very concerned about the five tests being packed in so tightly, which could mean one or both of the ancient Anderson/Broad combination breaking down; that would be curtains for England.

7/4 available on India to win the series. Wonderful.

Duty281

Posts : 18047
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:51 pm

India have a lot of passengers in their side. Pujara is dreadful outside of the subcontinent. Dhawan is also pretty poor outside the subcontinent. Pandya is hit or miss. And perhaps most significantly they don’t have a top quality keeper. Karthik has been around for a decade and his keeping is still poor. Pant is a quality batsman but the Indian media suggests his keeping is poor. If they play two spinners but lack a semi decent keeper it becomes irrelevant

Nathaniel Jacobs

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2016-12-17

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Gooseberry on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:56 pm

Indias batting is a match for Englands all the same.
The issue they are going to have is attrition to their seamers. In theory they can field a decent front 4 supported by a spinner all rounder ...but with injuries already biting and facing a 5 match series they will be forced to pick some pretty mediocre players.
England have much more depth to their resources when it comes to home conditions.

As for the spinners thing ....Rashid would be A THING.

Buttler at at 5 and Bairstow at 7 is utterly ridiculous.

Gooseberry

Posts : 3824
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LivinginItaly on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 7:48 am

Sorry, can you explain your thinking Gooseberry?

Why is Buttler at 5 and Bairstow at 7 more ridiculous than moving Bairstow ( who has a much better record at 7 than in the higher positions) up to 5, just to make space for Buttler at 7  (in the team only for his batting) but at the same time sending the message that his batting isn't good enough for the top six? It seems the thinking is we must get him in the team as he is a world class player, but not that good so we don't trust him in the top 6.

If Buttler isn't good enough to bat at 5 choose somebody who is. I personally think he could surprise many people.

LivinginItaly

Posts : 947
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Bologna, Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by wisden on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 2:38 pm

Bairstow 5, Buttler 7 (with the gloves) although i'd prefer Foakes there...

wisden

Posts : 628
Join date : 2015-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LivinginItaly on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:25 pm

Wisden are you giving Buttler the gloves because you think he is a better wicketkeeper than Bairstow? Or because you think England need Bairstow to focus completely on his batting? Or because it would justify the following batting order of Bairstow at 5 and Buttler at 7?

LivinginItaly

Posts : 947
Join date : 2011-03-05
Age : 37
Location : Bologna, Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by wisden on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 4:29 pm

Bairstow should be left to focus on batting, and Buttler defo isn't a step down with the gloves...the best gloveman around at the moment to be fair is Foakes....

wisden

Posts : 628
Join date : 2015-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 9:09 am

A disappointing day yesterday in the Championship for several with England ambitions -

- Bess left out of the team by Somerset on a ''non-spinning'' track at Worcs*
- Wood bowled 6 overs before going off injured, said to be a trapped nerve in his foot this time
- Hameed (who must surely change his first name to ''Poor'') out for 1 against Yorks
- Jennings made 22 in the same match
- Gubbins made 26 against Warks
- Root, Bairstow and Ballance scored 22, 0 and 9 in the Roses match whilst Anderson took 1/38
- 0/38 for Broad against Surrey for whom Stoneman scored 86 (although his international chances have probably gone) whilst Burns is still there on 97 and pushing for a plane ticket to Sri Lanka.

* The track didn't stop Moeen bowling 19 overs and taking 3/56 - proper figures.

guildfordbat

Posts : 12484
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by alfie on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 9:36 am

The most significant of those being Wood's injury and the non-appearance of Bess...will be very interesting to see who fills the bowling spots on 1st August .Is at least good to see Anderson and Broad getting match practice .

Imagine Root and Bairstow can survive the odd failure Smile
But heaven knows what has happened to Hameed...


alfie

Posts : 10021
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 9:37 am

Hameed is gonna do well to get a county deal next season, let alone push for England selection...
avatar
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 45397
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 23
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 11:06 am

Young Haseeb Hameed would be well advised to seek some advice from Australian captain Tim Paine. Paine suffered near enough the same injury and it took him some 3/4 years before he did anything noteworthy - that said he having success in the Big Bash. Paine has shown it's possible to return and Haseeb was considerably younger when he got injured

Nathaniel Jacobs

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2016-12-17

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by robbo277 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 1:22 pm

So our last test team against Pakistan was:

Cook, Jennings, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Buttler, Woakes, Bess, Curran, Broad, Anderson

Stokes is back and will likely take the place of Curran as 4th seamer, and also move into the top 6 a batting option.

Bess will probably come out of the team. With the heatwave we've been having spin could play a big part in this series, and with the spinner also dropping from 8 to 9 then we can go with our strongest spinner. And you'd say they'd probably be looking at Leach, Ali or Rashid as a wildcard.

A further option would be to go for two spinners if it looked like the pitch might require it. In which case I'd say Woakes and Malan come under threat, as one of them would be most likely to make way.

robbo277

Posts : 3370
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by alfie on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 2:27 pm

I would not be too happy with just Broad Anderson and Stokes for pace (higher than normal risk of one breaking down ?) And since none of the potential spinners (except Moeen , before his bowling fell apart down under) has yet demonstrated the ability to actually influence a Test Match , I'd suggest picking any two of them might be substituting quantity for quality - however dry the pitch.
Last time a two spin attack was effective in England was probably Emburey/Edmonds !

alfie

Posts : 10021
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by robbo277 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 3:35 pm

alfie wrote:I would not be too happy with just Broad Anderson and Stokes for pace (higher than normal risk of one breaking down ?) And since none of the potential spinners (except Moeen , before his bowling fell apart down under) has yet demonstrated the ability to actually influence a Test Match , I'd suggest picking any two of them might be substituting quantity for quality - however dry the pitch.
Last time a two spin attack was effective in England was probably Emburey/Edmonds !

I'd agree largely. Just looking at potential options really.

I think if we wanted two spinners Malan would be more vulnerable. Replacing Malan, Curran and Bess from the last team with Stokes, Ali and Leach probably doesn't weaken you're batting all that much.

However the batting probably was the more brittle of the two suits last time out (and indeed for some while), so keeping Malan and picking between Ali and Leach will probably be how we go.

robbo277

Posts : 3370
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 11:35 pm

robbo277 wrote:So our last test team against Pakistan was:

Cook, Jennings, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Buttler, Woakes, Bess, Curran, Broad, Anderson

Stokes is back and will likely take the place of Curran as 4th seamer, and also move into the top 6 a batting option.

Bess will probably come out of the team. With the heatwave we've been having spin could play a big part in this series, and with the spinner also dropping from 8 to 9 then we can go with our strongest spinner. And you'd say they'd probably be looking at Leach, Ali or Rashid as a wildcard.

A further option would be to go for two spinners if it looked like the pitch might require it. In which case I'd say Woakes and Malan come under threat, as one of them would be most likely to make way.

Just possibly Sam Curran might be preferred over Woakes?

guildfordbat

Posts : 12484
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Duty281 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 11:42 pm

It's a very weak English team. Only three batsmen you can rely on...and two of them have question marks. No test-quality spinner. A huge workload imposed on Broad and Stokes to deliver the goods bowling-wise, as Anderson will have one good test and four anonymous ones. The joke selection of Buttler will continue (yes I know he had a good test last time).

Crikey, it's going to be a long summer.

Duty281

Posts : 18047
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LondonTiger on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 10:14 am

guildfordbat wrote:
robbo277 wrote:So our last test team against Pakistan was:

Cook, Jennings, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Buttler, Woakes, Bess, Curran, Broad, Anderson

Stokes is back and will likely take the place of Curran as 4th seamer, and also move into the top 6 a batting option.

Bess will probably come out of the team. With the heatwave we've been having spin could play a big part in this series, and with the spinner also dropping from 8 to 9 then we can go with our strongest spinner. And you'd say they'd probably be looking at Leach, Ali or Rashid as a wildcard.

A further option would be to go for two spinners if it looked like the pitch might require it. In which case I'd say Woakes and Malan come under threat, as one of them would be most likely to make way.

Just possibly Sam Curran might be preferred over Woakes?

with five tests in just six weeks the seamers will have to be well managed, especially when you consider the recent injuries suffered by Anderson, Broad, Stokes and woakes.

We know that Stokes is unavailable for the second test (and perhaps more after that) thus you feel they will want Woakes in the side for that game. Thus it comes down to whether they want Woakes to get more overs in his shoulders before then in a less stressful environment.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18384
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by robbo277 on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 3:59 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
robbo277 wrote:So our last test team against Pakistan was:

Cook, Jennings, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Buttler, Woakes, Bess, Curran, Broad, Anderson

Stokes is back and will likely take the place of Curran as 4th seamer, and also move into the top 6 a batting option.

Bess will probably come out of the team. With the heatwave we've been having spin could play a big part in this series, and with the spinner also dropping from 8 to 9 then we can go with our strongest spinner. And you'd say they'd probably be looking at Leach, Ali or Rashid as a wildcard.

A further option would be to go for two spinners if it looked like the pitch might require it. In which case I'd say Woakes and Malan come under threat, as one of them would be most likely to make way.

Just possibly Sam Curran might be preferred over Woakes?

Potentially as he does offer a different angle of attack, bowled nicely against Pakistan and outbowled Woakes against India A. I do think the selectors will go for Woakes over Curran though. Just the experience factor as much as anything.

robbo277

Posts : 3370
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by robbo277 on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 4:10 pm

Duty281 wrote:It's a very weak English team. Only three batsmen you can rely on...and two of them have question marks. No test-quality spinner. A huge workload imposed on Broad and Stokes to deliver the goods bowling-wise, as Anderson will have one good test and four anonymous ones. The joke selection of Buttler will continue (yes I know he had a good test last time).

Crikey, it's going to be a long summer.

I think this is perhaps harsh. It's not the strongest England team of the last 15 years, but I don't think it's really a golden age for test cricket being honest with you and I think England have the talent to compete with anyone, especially on home soil.

The batting lineup could be stronger, but watching them play it feels like our main issue is application, rather than talent. Too many players get themselves out and you feel annoyed, rather than thinking the players are being outclassed by the bowlers.

In the bowling department we don't have a proven frontline spinner and our pace bowling attack is quite samey, but it's canny enough to take wickets, especially on home conditions. Perhaps the bowling attack is the opposite of the batting line-up, they make up for potential deficits in their skill and ability by really good application.

The seamers are not beating the batsman all ends up with pace or huge reverse swinging deliveries and the spinners aren't producing sharp turning deliveries or any mystery balls. But they take wickets by bowling to plans and just moving the ball enough to pick up an outside edge or beat a batsman on the inside. Think of Anderson getting someone lbw after setting them up with some outswingers, or a batsman nicking off trying to drive from his back foot after being set up by a couple of bouncers.

If the batsmen fire and can score 350/400s in the first innings regularly (assuming a decent pitch), then we should win the series. If we find ourselves scoring 250/300s then I think we may struggle.

robbo277

Posts : 3370
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 12:38 pm

Duty281 wrote:It'll be a close series, but I make India 60/40, maybe 65/35, favourites.

Simply, India have won 10 out of their last 11 test series and possess a much stronger team. Yes, they're normally garbage outside of the sub continent, but they certainly came away with some merit in South Africa earlier in the year. I'm very concerned about the five tests being packed in so tightly, which could mean one or both of the ancient Anderson/Broad combination breaking down; that would be curtains for England.

7/4 available on India to win the series. Wonderful.


It's rare to hear from Duty281 making India as the favourites in a series.

It will be a test for Kohli and his side. India will be led by an aggressive and a performing captain abroad after a long time. However the problem remains the same, Will Indian batsmen survive the swinging English pitches?

India has played most of the last 20-25 matches at home. No doubt they were best at home but the SA series really proved that Indian batting lineup needs some hand at the swinging pitches and looking at only one practise match I don't think the acclimatisation will be up to the mark. Pakistan played four first class games including one off Test against Ireland before defeating England in the first match. The best part of the selection is that the management quota player Rohit is out of the squad.

Looking at Indian batting lineup

-> Vijay and Dhawan will open the inning, however I think Rahul will be better than Dhawan looking at technique and vulnerability of Dhawan towards swinging deliveries.
-> Number 3 and 4 are in the safe hands of Pujara and Kohli. Though Kohli missed the county game he may prove to be dangerous for English attack looking at their poor record in last 9 matches.
-> Rahane will stick to number 5. Number 6 will be a tricky position. If they play Dhawan at 2, then Rahul will come at one of 5 and 6. In case Dhawan is sitting in the room, number 6 should be filled by Rishabh Pant. He is a quality batsman and can play big innings also you have a chance of playing 6 batsmen and 5 bowlers.
-> Number 7,8,9 will be occupied by Pandya, Ashwin, Shami Ahmed. I don't think they will go for Kuldeep looking at Ashwin's batting capability taking the India's batting deep to number 8. However Kohli is a dynamic captain and in such situation Kuldeep may get a game or two.
-> Number 10 and 11 will have Umesh and Ishant. Though Ishant is one of the worst pacer in the India squad, he will get a game. However If India went for two spinners then Ishant might have to carry drinks.
avatar
subhranshu.kumar.5

Posts : 720
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 26
Location : Dhanbad, India

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Duty281 on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 1:37 pm

I only ever say it as I see it. Home advantage gives England a chance, but India are the far stronger team.

Duty281

Posts : 18047
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 2:24 pm

subhranshu.kumar.5 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:It'll be a close series, but I make India 60/40, maybe 65/35, favourites.

Simply, India have won 10 out of their last 11 test series and possess a much stronger team. Yes, they're normally garbage outside of the sub continent, but they certainly came away with some merit in South Africa earlier in the year. I'm very concerned about the five tests being packed in so tightly, which could mean one or both of the ancient Anderson/Broad combination breaking down; that would be curtains for England.

7/4 available on India to win the series. Wonderful.


It's rare to hear from Duty281 making India as the favourites in a series.

It will be a test for Kohli and his side. India will be led by an aggressive and a performing captain abroad after a long time. However the problem remains the same, Will Indian batsmen survive the swinging English pitches?

India has played most of the last 20-25 matches at home. No doubt they were best at home but the SA series really proved that Indian batting lineup needs some hand at the swinging pitches and looking at only one practise match I don't think the acclimatisation will be up to the mark. Pakistan played four first class games including one off Test against Ireland before defeating England in the first match. The best part of the selection is that the management quota player Rohit is out of the squad.

Looking at Indian batting lineup

-> Vijay and Dhawan will open the inning, however I think Rahul will be better than Dhawan looking at technique and vulnerability of Dhawan towards swinging deliveries.
-> Number 3 and 4 are in the safe hands of Pujara and Kohli. Though Kohli missed the county game he may prove to be dangerous for English attack looking at their poor record in last 9 matches.
-> Rahane will stick to number 5. Number 6 will be a tricky position. If they play Dhawan at 2, then Rahul will come at one of 5 and 6. In case Dhawan is sitting in the room, number 6 should be filled by Rishabh Pant. He is a quality batsman and can play big innings also you have a chance of playing 6 batsmen and 5 bowlers.
-> Number 7,8,9 will be occupied by Pandya, Ashwin, Shami Ahmed. I don't think they will go for Kuldeep looking at Ashwin's batting capability taking the India's batting deep to number 8. However Kohli is a dynamic captain and in such situation Kuldeep may get a game or two.
-> Number 10 and 11 will have Umesh and Ishant. Though Ishant is one of the worst pacer in the India squad, he will get a game. However If India went for two spinners then Ishant might have to carry drinks.

You're not gonna see any deadly green seamers or huge swinging conditions I don't think Kumar - hasn't rained for the best part of two months!

avatar
Good Golly I'm Olly

Posts : 45397
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 23
Location : Chris Woakes's wardrobe

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Duty281 on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 7:26 pm

Vijay, Kohli, Rahul and Khartik all making decent scores against an unremarkable Essex attack.

Duty281

Posts : 18047
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by LondonTiger on Thu 26 Jul 2018, 9:43 am

The Times suggesting Olly Pope will come in as Stokes replacement for T2. Based on his fledgling record so far that would be a great move and by the end of the Summer he could have replaced Malan.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18384
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum