The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:10 am

First topic message reminder :

A new thread to continue the tracking of where the multi-country Championship is heading.

With the TV deals done for Ireland, UK, Italy and South Africa, PRO14 quietly announced their deal for tapping other broadcast markets around the world with rights partner, RDA, who already have the Heineken Cup and English Premiership in their stable.  

Here’s extract from what the PRO14 press release said:  

Guinness PRO14 is the first rugby union championship to host clubs from the traditional rugby powers in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, with teams from South Africa competing against the top sides from Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy.....

....RDA’s focus will be on growing revenues in core markets as well as increasing the Guinness PRO14’s global footprint. Current media agreements in host markets secured by PRO14 include eir sport in Ireland, Premier Sports in the UK and Super Sport in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Martin Anayi, CEO, Guinness PRO14 commented: “It’s an incredible time in the Guinness PRO14 with our expansion into South Africa, the success of our clubs in Europe and the confirmation of our new broadcast partners in Ireland and the UK. Every season the biggest names in world rugby take to the pitch in our Championship guided by some of the sharpest minds in the game providing imaginative, high-intensity match-ups which make for compulsive viewing.

“The Guinness PRO14 is one of the most talked about rugby properties in the world right now and it’s the perfect time to join forces with RDA who have a track record of success when it comes to sports media rights. With brands such as Premiership Rugby, Champions Cup and European Challenge Cup in their portfolio we can ensure that rugby fans will feel a part of the Guinness PRO14 action no matter where they are.”

...,Richard Dennis, CEO, RDA commented: “The Guinness PRO14 is an action-packed tournament. With a global-playing base of 300 players capped at full international level, and 100 top players from countries such as New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and the Pacific Islands, PRO14 will have a worldwide appeal to rugby fans. It also boasts some impressive stats, 1.3 million attendees last season and games averaging 5.9 tries, so it’s no surprise scoring has risen for the fifth year in a row. We’re very much excited to be working with the Guinness PRO14.”

RDA adds the Guinness PRO14 to a strong rugby portfolio covering the newly sponsored Champions Cup, European Challenge Cup, Premiership Rugby, Betfred Super League and the RFL International Test Series.

Anayi in another pre-season general interview said that PRO16 would be the ideal size for the Championship that would allow less regular season games to be played and avoid test windows. It’s likely the final two spots would go to two more SA teams - likely from Super Rugby before the start of its new Sanzaar TV contract in 2020.

Anayi also mentioned that they were bringing in a new programme to allow them employ professional referees directly on their elite refs panel.


Last edited by Pot Hale on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down


Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by The Oracle on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:28 am

marty2086 wrote:Ok you're right OK


Yeeeessssss! I win the internet today! Good night, god bless.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:30 am

Can the mods add a new box on here where people have to state what they are implying so avoid people having to employ their faulty mind reading skills

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Brendan on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:57 am

Two conferences of 8 teams that play each other twice (keep national teams together) 14 games

Top 4 from each conference go into the Championship Cup. Play the people in the other Conference home and away (results against the other three teams in your conference carry over) 8 games
Same would go for bottom 4 into the plate. Gives lower teams something to play for.

Total 22 games final as a double header top two teams.

Brendan

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-04-09
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by geoff999rugby on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:00 am

PhilBB wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:But in the Ireland it has been the complete opposite - crowds are considerably higher than a decade ago.
The pro14 as a whole is on a steady upward path crowd wise.

I think it is a big mistake to conclude that the dogs breakfast that is the southern hemisphere tournament teaches us anything of value with respect to the Pro14.
Provided we stick with the Saffers with a similar time zone we will be fine.

Just don't include the USA and Argentina, then it probably would go pear shaped

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk/analysis/season_attendances_by_club.php?countryID=3

Three Irish teams had lower league crowds last season than the season before, if you want to look at the stats in that way.

Of course, we in Wales want to go to away games by car. Because we could, you see, if we played in the league that we wanted to play in.

I understand fully that the concept of travelling by car to away games is difficult for those PrO'14 team fans outside of Wales to empathise with.

So what.
I said the Irish crowds were considerably higher than a decade ago ..they are
I said the Pro14 crowds are on an upwards path....they are
Of course you get highs and lows but for the Irish specifically and the league as a whole the trends are upward.

I travel by car to Pro14 games all the time - the 3 Irish provinces, Glasgow and occasionally Edinburgh

Someone mentioned an Australian deciding Irish results upstream..needless to say mindless garbage from someone without a clue about Irish rugby.
Also mention of getting into bed with the English.
Let it go that ship has sailed off the edge of the world years ago, you will never see it again

geoff999rugby

Posts : 3928
Join date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Kingshu on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:23 am

This forum really has died, a wum comment can attact a page of debate while any comment or article about actual rugby would be lucky to get 3 replies or can sit for days without a comment. Where was it notch, redstag, thebounceriankeatley et all went? Think I'll follow.

Kingshu

Posts : 3585
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Brendan on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:32 am

The other choice and the one I would prefer is we get their two teams to play Euro based Pro16 sides during the international window. Gives a good game to both teams, home games to the Pro14 teams.

I would like the Tier 2 sides to train with the Pro14 sides to help them develop more professionally. It would also be used as a development tool to joining the ProXX

Tier 2/3 Non Europe (12)
USA, Canada, Uruguay, Brazil, Chile, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Japan, Hong Kong, Namibia, Kenya, Going on the Summer maybe Argentina.
Tier 2/3 Europe (8)
Georgia, Rominia, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany.

For the European teams you set them targets that if they reach them they get invited to the competition. These could include things like winning games (the Pro14 teams would be missing all the internationals), setting up structures etc.
For the non Europe teams it gives them better games and better crowds than playing each other.
For the Pro14 teams they get 3 extra home games, get to test themselves against new teams. And would be a novelty for the fans.

I know Samoa and Fiji get good games but they do them no good as they get well beat usually. Again for the better international teams playing Scotland, Ospreys and Leinster would do more for them than playing Ireland & Wales. Teams Like Zebre without the Italians would be better for Chile or Belgium as they would be organised and fit than playing each other and not improving standards.

Brendan

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-04-09
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:37 am

16 teams in the Championship from 2020 sounds ideal.
Conference stage
14 home and away games in your own conference and 2 home and away derbies from other conference. 18 rounds of games.
Finals Stage
Top 3 from each conference for the finals stage. 3 rounds of games.

In new WR global season change from 2019/2020, start club season end of Sept -13 or 14 games inc Heineken Cup rounds by end of year. Four more rounds inc H Cup in January. (Six Nations said they’re willing to shift to start a week later.). Final conference rounds and H Cup in last week of Mar/Apr/May. Rest up for 2-3 weeks then test squads prepare for 2-3 weeks before heading SH to play 2 tests max in July.

Doddle.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by The Oracle on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:12 am

Kingshu wrote:This forum really has died, a wum comment can attact a page of debate while any comment or article about actual rugby would be lucky to get 3 replies or can sit for days without a comment. Where was it notch, redstag, thebounceriankeatley et all went? Think I'll follow.

Me too Sad
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:27 am

Brendan wrote:Two conferences of 8 teams that play each other twice (keep national teams together) 14 games

Top 4 from each conference go into the Championship Cup.  Play the people in the other Conference home and away (results against the other three teams in your conference carry over) 8 games
Same would go for bottom 4 into the plate.  Gives lower teams something to play for.

Total 22 games final as a double header top two teams.

Keep nations together and then. You get to the point where asuoer Rugby is, on conference will developed far better than the others. Argument sake, if you put the Irish and sa in one conference, and Wales/Scotland/Italy in the other, the Irish and SA conference will be highly competitive and the Scarlets, Glasgow, Ospreys and Edinburgh will walking into playoffs most years without being tested at all. That leads to fans not bothering to turn up to watch nobody games etc. Pretty much why SA and Aus are not happy right now.
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9907
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 34
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:29 am

Kingshu wrote:This forum really has died, a wum comment can attact a page of debate while any comment or article about actual rugby would be lucky to get 3 replies or can sit for days without a comment. Where was it notch, redstag, thebounceriankeatley et all went? Think I'll follow.

Notch was a champion wum himself, just a bit lost cerebral than most.
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9907
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 34
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:38 am

Brendan wrote:The other choice and the one I would prefer is we get their two teams to play Euro based Pro16 sides during the international window.  Gives a good game to both teams, home games to the Pro14 teams.

I would like the Tier 2 sides to train with the Pro14 sides to help them develop more professionally.  It would also be used as a development tool to joining the ProXX

Tier 2/3 Non Europe (12)
USA, Canada, Uruguay, Brazil, Chile, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Japan, Hong Kong, Namibia, Kenya, Going on the Summer maybe Argentina.
Tier 2/3 Europe (8)
Georgia, Rominia, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany.

For the European teams you set them targets that if they reach them they get invited to the competition.  These could include things like winning games (the Pro14 teams would be missing all the internationals), setting up structures etc.
For the non Europe teams it gives them better games and better crowds than playing each other.
For the Pro14 teams they get 3 extra home games, get to test themselves against new teams. And would be a novelty for the fans.

I know Samoa and Fiji get good games but they do them no good as they get well beat usually. Again for the better international teams playing Scotland, Ospreys and Leinster would do more for them than playing Ireland & Wales. Teams Like Zebre without the Italians would be better for Chile or Belgium as they would be organised and fit than playing each other and not improving standards.

I like the idea of touring their two teams playin Pro14 sides. The only draw back I can see is the financials for the touring sides not being there, especially for the PI sides. They may find players ‘opting’ to stay with their clubs rather than going to the international sides (thinking about the Samoan wages/travel issues etc). I’m not sure that the pro14 sides would be able to get enough paying punters through the games to compensate the international sides well enough, seeing as the league fixtures tend to get lower attendances due i g those windows.
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9907
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 34
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Brendan wrote:The other choice and the one I would prefer is we get their two teams to play Euro based Pro16 sides during the international window.  Gives a good game to both teams, home games to the Pro14 teams.

I would like the Tier 2 sides to train with the Pro14 sides to help them develop more professionally.  It would also be used as a development tool to joining the ProXX

Tier 2/3 Non Europe (12)
USA, Canada, Uruguay, Brazil, Chile, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Japan, Hong Kong, Namibia, Kenya, Going on the Summer maybe Argentina.
Tier 2/3 Europe (8)
Georgia, Rominia, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany.

For the European teams you set them targets that if they reach them they get invited to the competition.  These could include things like winning games (the Pro14 teams would be missing all the internationals), setting up structures etc.
For the non Europe teams it gives them better games and better crowds than playing each other.
For the Pro14 teams they get 3 extra home games, get to test themselves against new teams. And would be a novelty for the fans.

I know Samoa and Fiji get good games but they do them no good as they get well beat usually. Again for the better international teams playing Scotland, Ospreys and Leinster would do more for them than playing Ireland & Wales. Teams Like Zebre without the Italians would be better for Chile or Belgium as they would be organised and fit than playing each other and not improving standards.

I like the idea of touring their two teams playin Pro14 sides.  The only draw back I can see is the financials for the touring sides not being there, especially for the PI sides.  They may find players ‘opting’ to stay with their clubs rather than going to the international sides (thinking about the Samoan wages/travel issues etc).  I’m not sure that the pro14 sides would be able to get enough paying punters through the games to compensate the international sides well enough, seeing as the league fixtures tend to get lower attendances due i g those windows.

Ulster got decent crowd for the Barbarians a few years ago and Fiji and BaaBaas before that, they'll be playing Uruguay this November so it seems there is decent money in it all. Think it needs to be done right though

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Brendan on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:57 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Brendan wrote:Two conferences of 8 teams that play each other twice (keep national teams together) 14 games

Top 4 from each conference go into the Championship Cup.  Play the people in the other Conference home and away (results against the other three teams in your conference carry over) 8 games
Same would go for bottom 4 into the plate.  Gives lower teams something to play for.

Total 22 games final as a double header top two teams.

Keep nations together and then. You get to the point where asuoer Rugby is, on conference will developed far better than the others.  Argument sake, if you put the Irish and sa in one conference, and Wales/Scotland/Italy in the other, the Irish and SA conference will be highly competitive and the Scarlets, Glasgow, Ospreys and Edinburgh will walking into playoffs most years without being tested at all.  That leads to fans not bothering to turn up to watch nobody games etc.  Pretty much why SA and Aus are not happy right now.

If they did idea or even just have two conferences I would like to rotate teams so you only play a nation every 3 years. There could be a part of the European draw where Pro16 teams can only get the other conference teams .

Year Conference A Conference B
1 IRE/SA WAL/SCT/ITL
2 IRE/SCT/ITL WAL/SA
3 IRE/WAL SCT/ITL/SA

This means that you would only get to play teams outside your block every three years so keeps things new for the fans as they know they are unlikely to see that team for three years except in the playoffs or Europe. Some years would be uneven (depending how the SA put teams together), but the conference would be competitive and would give teams like the Blues, Treviso etc a better shot at playoffs which will keep them hungry.

Super Rugby's problem was each country got places regardless of if they earned them.

Brendan

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-04-09
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by LordDowlais on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Kingshu wrote:This forum really has died, a wum comment can attact a page of debate while any comment or article about actual rugby would be lucky to get 3 replies or can sit for days without a comment. Where was it notch, redstag, thebounceriankeatley et all went? Think I'll follow.

Could not agree more.

certain members have ruined this site. But when the moderators allow it, that's what you get I suppose.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12734
Join date : 2011-05-19
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:15 pm

marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:There's a couple of plays straight out of Phils playbook

Let's try using some facts, the Italian teams joined in 2010 so a decade ago teams were playing 9 home games. You able to read that ok, any questions? Anything need clarifying for you there?

Martin Anayi has said since he came in he wants to reduce the number of games played on Test weekends, so I ask what's the problem with that?

The problem is, I won't get to do my hobby as much. I won't get to watch my team play rugby as much.

Well why didn't you say or you could go and watch some Welsh Championship games or go to a Wales game since they'll be playing on those days

Err, no thanks. I want to go and watch the team I support. The team I pay a fee to watch at the beginning of the season. Why would I go and watch someone else?


RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:20 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:There's a couple of plays straight out of Phils playbook

Let's try using some facts, the Italian teams joined in 2010 so a decade ago teams were playing 9 home games. You able to read that ok, any questions? Anything need clarifying for you there?

Martin Anayi has said since he came in he wants to reduce the number of games played on Test weekends, so I ask what's the problem with that?

The problem is, I won't get to do my hobby as much. I won't get to watch my team play rugby as much.

Well why didn't you say or you could go and watch some Welsh Championship games or go to a Wales game since they'll be playing on those days

Err, no thanks. I want to go and watch the team I support. The team I pay a fee to watch at the beginning of the season. Why would I go and watch someone else?


You pay to watch x number of games, so that's what you pay for. Stop complaining about not getting what you haven't paid for Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:21 pm

marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:There's a couple of plays straight out of Phils playbook

Let's try using some facts, the Italian teams joined in 2010 so a decade ago teams were playing 9 home games. You able to read that ok, any questions? Anything need clarifying for you there?

Martin Anayi has said since he came in he wants to reduce the number of games played on Test weekends, so I ask what's the problem with that?

The problem is, I won't get to do my hobby as much. I won't get to watch my team play rugby as much.

Well why didn't you say or you could go and watch some Welsh Championship games or go to a Wales game since they'll be playing on those days

Err, no thanks. I want to go and watch the team I support. The team I pay a fee to watch at the beginning of the season. Why would I go and watch someone else?


You pay to watch x number of games, so that's what you pay for. Stop complaining about not getting what you haven't paid for Rolling Eyes

Wow. There's a bit of the Trump about you Marty.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:05 pm

marty2086 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Brendan wrote:The other choice and the one I would prefer is we get their two teams to play Euro based Pro16 sides during the international window.  Gives a good game to both teams, home games to the Pro14 teams.

I would like the Tier 2 sides to train with the Pro14 sides to help them develop more professionally.  It would also be used as a development tool to joining the ProXX

Tier 2/3 Non Europe (12)
USA, Canada, Uruguay, Brazil, Chile, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Japan, Hong Kong, Namibia, Kenya, Going on the Summer maybe Argentina.
Tier 2/3 Europe (8)
Georgia, Rominia, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany.

For the European teams you set them targets that if they reach them they get invited to the competition.  These could include things like winning games (the Pro14 teams would be missing all the internationals), setting up structures etc.
For the non Europe teams it gives them better games and better crowds than playing each other.
For the Pro14 teams they get 3 extra home games, get to test themselves against new teams. And would be a novelty for the fans.

I know Samoa and Fiji get good games but they do them no good as they get well beat usually. Again for the better international teams playing Scotland, Ospreys and Leinster would do more for them than playing Ireland & Wales. Teams Like Zebre without the Italians would be better for Chile or Belgium as they would be organised and fit than playing each other and not improving standards.

I like the idea of touring their two teams playin Pro14 sides.  The only draw back I can see is the financials for the touring sides not being there, especially for the PI sides.  They may find players ‘opting’ to stay with their clubs rather than going to the international sides (thinking about the Samoan wages/travel issues etc).  I’m not sure that the pro14 sides would be able to get enough paying punters through the games to compensate the international sides well enough, seeing as the league fixtures tend to get lower attendances due i g those windows.

Ulster got decent crowd for the Barbarians a few years ago and Fiji and BaaBaas before that, they'll be playing Uruguay this November so it seems there is decent money in it all. Think it needs to be done right though

Good to see it’s working in Ulster.

You’re probably right, if it’s sorted out well it sound work. If it’s not an annual think (spread across the load of us, so one game every few years or so) then the novelty remains. It’d definitely be interesting to see how a system like this would work.
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9907
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 34
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by BamBam on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:11 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Kingshu wrote:This forum really has died, a wum comment can attact a page of debate while any comment or article about actual rugby would be lucky to get 3 replies or can sit for days without a comment. Where was it notch, redstag, thebounceriankeatley et all went? Think I'll follow.

Could not agree more.

certain members have ruined this site. But when the moderators allow it, that's what you get I suppose.

Oh the irony

BamBam

Posts : 14435
Join date : 2011-03-18
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 pm

It all comes down to offering the right package, like I said Ulster will play Uruguay this November, the tickets will be the same price as a league game last season which will put some off given the opposition but Ulster will see it as the right price to draw a decent crowd and turn a profit. I think knocking even a few quid off might make a big difference as I don't believe it's included in the season tickets

Games like the Maori and Barbarians probably more to host but will draw bigger crowds because of the brands involved but it would be great to see more clubs playing touring sides and testing themselves. Even outside that it is a missed business opportunity

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by The Oracle on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:49 pm

I remember Newport RFC playing Uruguay in 2001 at Rodney Parade.  It was great.  Not sure on the crowd but seem to remember it was rocking, probably because it was a novelty.  And it helped that we stuffed them 59-5!  

Definitely think that irregular fixtures such as this would be a good thing.  The problem is that everyone is talking of players playing too much and the need to cut games.  So where would it fit in?  If you rest the stars for the fixture and play the B-level and academy players then fans perhaps would be reluctant to turn up and it becomes a damp squib.  We saw this with the Anglo-Welsh cup which got worse and worse over the years until it was a bit of a nothing comp and it eventually got pulled.  But if it's an ad hoc game against someone like Fiji or Samoa (or Uruguay even), not a yearly thing for the same club, then I think it definitely has potential to do well.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Brendan on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 pm

marty2086 wrote:It all comes down to offering the right package, like I said Ulster will play Uruguay this November, the tickets will be the same price as a league game last season which will put some off given the opposition but Ulster will see it as the right price to draw a decent crowd and turn a profit. I think knocking even a few quid off might make a big difference as I don't believe it's included in the season tickets

Games like the Maori and Barbarians probably more to host but will draw bigger crowds because of the brands involved but it would be great to see more clubs playing touring sides and testing themselves. Even outside that it is a missed business opportunity

Some of the ways to do it is you turn it into a mini tournament. Two Pro12 teams, Euro Team, Non Euro Team. Cups are ranked by Pro14 team points (the only issue with that is the Scottish cup might be top ranked but not the top teams in the international)
East Irish Cup
West Irish Cup
Scottish Cup
East Welsh Cup
West Welsh Cup
Italian Cup

Going on the Example you would have the Scottish Cup as Glasgow, Edinburgh, Georgia, Samoa. Play two games winner is on a league table.

Selling it to the none helped non Euro Tier 2 teams is fairly easy. They get better games with better crowds and can train with professionals for two weeks. Imagine being a young winger and have two weeks with Isa at Leinster or train under Leo Cullen.

For the European teams you will find it easy if they know there is a reward. Something like the following.
First 5 years
1. Win four games
2. Set up 10 team national league
3. Have plans for a professional team and TV deal for their team.
4. Set up 4 academies for underage.
Reward they get added to the PROXX and 6Nations U20s (Not sure if this happens but Romania and Definitely Georgia) would benefit them and would help them build up a Pro14 Squad.

Second 5 years
1. Win X number of games in the league
2. Sustain a professional team
3. Put sponsorship and TV deal together for international matches
4. Win X number of international games v 6N teams (Have them play 2 per year)
Reward join the 6 Nations. If they are good enough and have the systems in place including financial they would be fine. Do it like the world cup where you name a squad. This would help us no end for world cups. Top 4 from the previous year play new team/Teams in the 4 weeks to mimic group stages.

Brendan

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-04-09
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Brendan on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:08 pm

The Oracle wrote:I remember Newport RFC playing Uruguay in 2001 at Rodney Parade.  It was great.  Not sure on the crowd but seem to remember it was rocking, probably because it was a novelty.  And it helped that we stuffed them 59-5!  

Definitely think that irregular fixtures such as this would be a good thing.  The problem is that everyone is talking of players playing too much and the need to cut games.  So where would it fit in?  If you rest the stars for the fixture and play the B-level and academy players then fans perhaps would be reluctant to turn up and it becomes a damp squib.  We saw this with the Anglo-Welsh cup which got worse and worse over the years until it was a bit of a nothing comp and it eventually got pulled.  But if it's an ad hoc game against someone like Fiji or Samoa (or Uruguay even), not a yearly thing for the same club, then I think it definitely has potential to do well.

It would be based on playing 14 Pro16 games (2 conferences only playing themselves)
So no playing during international weekends.

Brendan

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-04-09
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:12 pm

Brendan wrote:
The Oracle wrote:I remember Newport RFC playing Uruguay in 2001 at Rodney Parade.  It was great.  Not sure on the crowd but seem to remember it was rocking, probably because it was a novelty.  And it helped that we stuffed them 59-5!  

Definitely think that irregular fixtures such as this would be a good thing.  The problem is that everyone is talking of players playing too much and the need to cut games.  So where would it fit in?  If you rest the stars for the fixture and play the B-level and academy players then fans perhaps would be reluctant to turn up and it becomes a damp squib.  We saw this with the Anglo-Welsh cup which got worse and worse over the years until it was a bit of a nothing comp and it eventually got pulled.  But if it's an ad hoc game against someone like Fiji or Samoa (or Uruguay even), not a yearly thing for the same club, then I think it definitely has potential to do well.

It would be based on playing 14 Pro16 games (2 conferences only playing themselves)
So no playing during international weekends.

14? In the regular league season?

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:25 pm

The team line-ups for the Guinness PRO14 Conferences will remain unchanged for the upcoming season to ensure a balance of fixtures for all teams across the initial two seasons following expansion.

This decision comes after consultation with clubs across the Guinness PRO14 to determine the best course of action for the Championship and all of the teams who compete in it.

The overriding factor in this decision was the ability to ensure equal home and away fixtures for each team across a two-year window. It also means that each team will have played away to all of the other sides in that same period meaning no fan will miss out on the diverse spread of talent that exists in the Guinness PRO14.

The first Guinness PRO14 season proved a hit with attendances, viewership and digital audiences all growing while the Championship set a new try-scoring record thanks to the fastest rucks in world rugby (81% three seconds or less).

Entering his 15th season as Tournament Director, David Jordan, said: “We are very satisfied with how the tournament, our teams and broadcasters handled the expansion into South Africa in the first Guinness PRO14 season and it is our responsibility to ensure we build upon that.

“Initially, we envisioned the Conference line-ups changing from year to year but having reviewed the previous season it was felt that our clubs would be better served working in a two-year cycle to ensure the balance of fixtures.

“Naturally, our clubs have been energised by the expansion, but as key stakeholders in the Championship it was important to adjust the format to help them harness this enthusiasm in order to be successful on and off the pitch. The Guinness PRO14 was highly competitive last season and we have no doubt that we will see the standards rise yet again across both Conferences in the upcoming season.”

The proposal to retain the Conference line-ups was reviewed by the Championship’s Rugby Sub-Committee which includes representatives from the board of Celtic Rugby and key figures from the clubs, including Leinster Rugby CEO, Mick Dawson, Ospreys Rugby MD, Andrew Millward & Glasgow Warriors MD, Nathan Bombrys.

Mick Dawson, CEO of Leinster Rugby, said: “In this the second year of the new Guinness PRO14 format I think it’s important that we have secured the same Conferences for our teams but with the home and away draw alternating. This allows our supporters, who attended in record numbers last season, to again see the rivalries build on what was a hugely successful first full PRO14 season.

“The process of scheduling Guinness PRO14 matches is unique in its complexity given the different territories involved, with some clubs having shared stadia and indeed the travel issues affecting teams on a week-to-week basis. In that regard, it is great that we have the 2018/19 fixture list live ahead of time. This could not be done without the help and support of all the key stakeholders, in particular eir sport and Premier Sports.”

Andrew Milliard, Managing Director of Ospreys Rugby, said: “Everyone at Ospreys is looking forward to the new Guinness PRO14 season kicking off and it should be really exciting for our fans. The clubs were part of the conversation around keeping the Conferences intact and it’s good to see that a common-sense decision was made.

“All teams get a fair return on their fixtures from last season to balance out the difference in home and away games. Now, top teams such as Edinburgh and Ulster will return to Liberty Stadium this year and we’ll also get to keep building our rivalries with teams in our Conference such as Munster, the Toyota Cheetahs and Glasgow Warriors. With Premier Sports on board it means that whether we’re home or away, our fans will never miss a minute of the action.”

Nathan Bombrys, Managing Director of Glasgow Warriors, said: “We’re really looking forward to the new Guinness PRO14 season, a competition which just gets tougher and tougher every year.

“Retaining the same Conferences from last season means our inter-conference rivalries will continue to develop, whilst also ensuring our supporters get to see Ulster, Dragons and Scarlets at Scotstoun next season.

“The South African teams have added an intriguing new dimension to the Championship, and Benetton Rugby and Zebre won a record number of games last year. We travel down to Cheetahs and Southern Kings on back-to-back weekends early in the campaign, and also visit Treviso and Parma, all trips that will present a real challenge to our players and a fantastic experience for our traveling supporters.

“At home in Glasgow we will aim to repeat the achievement of the past two seasons where we sold out every Guinness PRO14 match at Scotstoun.”

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Why the hell they didn't realise that in the first place is anyone's guess.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RiscaGame on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:45 pm

"In that regard, it is great that we have the 2018/19 fixture list live ahead of time"

In the sense that they were supposed to be out mid July, they aren't really ahead of time. That they are out by August is an improvement on last year.

I eagerly await the Challenge Cup fixtures that are apparently due two weeks after these are released. I assume that will be Friday 10 August now.


Last edited by RiscaGame on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

RiscaGame

Posts : 2196
Join date : 2016-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:54 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:Why the hell they didn't realise that in the first place is anyone's guess.

They did and thought that previous season ranking would be better. It also gets them neatly to end of current season structure with likely new teams coming in for the new season structure for 2019/2020.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:Why the hell they didn't realise that in the first place is anyone's guess.

They did and thought that previous season ranking would be better.  It also gets them neatly to end of current season structure with likely new teams coming in for the new season structure for 2019/2020.

They thought wrong then didn't they, as they've had to change their minds.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 am

geoff999rugby wrote:
Someone mentioned an Australian deciding Irish results upstream..needless to say mindless garbage from someone without a clue about Irish rugby.

Yeah, mindless garbage.

The bloke who decides who plays where, who coaches who and which non Irish players are allowed where.

By Christ, you lot suffer really badly from Stockholm Syndrome.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-10

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:07 am

The Oracle wrote:You’ve described what Kinghu did (mocking) not what his post implies.

It's epic, isn't it? Paints himself as extremely clever when his posts describe only the opposite.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-10

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:08 am

geoff999rugby wrote:
So what.
I said the Irish crowds were considerably higher than a decade ago ..they are
I said the Pro14 crowds are on an upwards path....they are
Of course you get highs and lows but for the Irish specifically and the league as a whole the trends are upward.

I travel by car to Pro14 games all the time - the 3 Irish provinces, Glasgow and occasionally Edinburgh

So what? Sorry, I thought that I'd explained that: stats can be read in a number of ways, that's "what".

You travel by car across the water.....without using a bridge......

What a tremendously literal representation of the point I was making.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-10

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:24 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Kingshu wrote:This forum really has died, a wum comment can attact a page of debate while any comment or article about actual rugby would be lucky to get 3 replies or can sit for days without a comment. Where was it notch, redstag, thebounceriankeatley et all went? Think I'll follow.

Could not agree more.

certain members have ruined this site. But when the moderators allow it, that's what you get I suppose.

606v2 wum comment = somebody posting the actual, factual reality of the situation

certain members have ruined this site = I used to be able to post whatever baseless garbage entered my head, but now somebody comes along and shows why my post was a pile of drivel. Rather than me just accepting that I was wrong, I will instead moan that others are spoiling my fun


Typical.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-10

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RiscaGame on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:25 am

Great news about S4C securing one game a week FTA still. Talk about the death of the Pro 14 in Wales, may have been greatly exaggerated.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2196
Join date : 2016-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:30 am

RiscaGame wrote:Great news about S4C securing one game a week FTA still. Talk about the death of the Pro 14 in Wales, may have been greatly exaggerated.

It's not great news if the majority are Sunday games.

How many Sunday home games will Munster and Ulster have I wonder?

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:34 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Great news about S4C securing one game a week FTA still. Talk about the death of the Pro 14 in Wales, may have been greatly exaggerated.

It's not great news if the majority are Sunday games.

That depends on the fee paid.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-10

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:35 am

PhilBB wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Great news about S4C securing one game a week FTA still. Talk about the death of the Pro 14 in Wales, may have been greatly exaggerated.

It's not great news if the majority are Sunday games.

That depends on the fee paid.

As in a trade off between lumping the 4 with Sunday fixtures and the 4 recouping the s4c money?

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:50 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Great news about S4C securing one game a week FTA still. Talk about the death of the Pro 14 in Wales, may have been greatly exaggerated.

It's not great news if the majority are Sunday games.

That depends on the fee paid.

As in a trade off between lumping the 4 with Sunday fixtures and the 4 recouping the s4c money?

Yep.

Cardiff average higher crowds on a Sunday than a Friday night: http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk/analysis/attendances_by_day.php?clubID=1&competitionsID=1

Turks, not so: http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk/analysis/attendances_by_day.php?clubID=1&competitionsID=1

I guess Sundays is a day of rest for farmers?
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-10

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:51 am

Simon's article states:

"Their live slot will generally be early evening on a Saturday, with games being broadcast live on television and online via the new-look S4C Clic service"
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-10

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RiscaGame on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:52 am

I thought I read Sundays were no more? Guess we will see in 9 minutes.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2196
Join date : 2016-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 am

PhilBB wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Great news about S4C securing one game a week FTA still. Talk about the death of the Pro 14 in Wales, may have been greatly exaggerated.

It's not great news if the majority are Sunday games.

That depends on the fee paid.

As in a trade off between lumping the 4 with Sunday fixtures and the 4 recouping the s4c money?

Yep.

Cardiff average higher crowds on a Sunday than a Friday night: http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk/analysis/attendances_by_day.php?clubID=1&competitionsID=1

Turks, not so: http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk/analysis/attendances_by_day.php?clubID=1&competitionsID=1

I guess Sundays is a day of rest for farmers?

No, there's a pickled baby market in Pwll every Sunday morning.

I've been told there are Sunday fixtures.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:04 am

We have Zebre at home on a Sunday afternoon!

Woo-hoo.

What a league.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-10

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RiscaGame on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:05 am

There sure are Sunday fixtures. Dragons have 3 (Edinburgh, Ospreys and Ulster).

Cardiff Blues v Dragons on Dec 22. Pity.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2196
Join date : 2016-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:07 am

PhilBB wrote:We have Zebre at home on a Sunday afternoon!

Woo-hoo.

What a league.

Who have Ulster, Munster and Leinster got on a Sunday at home?

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by wolfball on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:10 am

The Oracle wrote:
Kingshu wrote:This forum really has died, a wum comment can attact a page of debate while any comment or article about actual rugby would be lucky to get 3 replies or can sit for days without a comment. Where was it notch, redstag, thebounceriankeatley et all went? Think I'll follow.

Me too Sad

Not sure where those are, but https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/ is great. Wum posts are displayed as such "bantz" and the few wummers from here who i noticed over there trying to cause trouble were downvoted to oblivion.

wolfball

Posts : 975
Join date : 2011-08-18
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:12 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
PhilBB wrote:We have Zebre at home on a Sunday afternoon!

Woo-hoo.

What a league.

Who have Ulster, Munster and Leinster got on a Sunday at home?

I may be wrong, but I counted none.

Funny how that happens, eh?
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-10

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:12 am

PhilBB wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
PhilBB wrote:We have Zebre at home on a Sunday afternoon!

Woo-hoo.

What a league.

Who have Ulster, Munster and Leinster got on a Sunday at home?

I may be wrong, but I counted none.

Funny how that happens, eh?

Just a coincidence I'm sure.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RiscaGame on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:14 am

No Friday Night Lights at Rodney. Bit of a shame.

Probably works in my favour that I don’t have to rush from Oxford on a Friday, but might’ve been nice to have a few.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2196
Join date : 2016-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:15 am

wolfball wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Kingshu wrote:This forum really has died, a wum comment can attact a page of debate while any comment or article about actual rugby would be lucky to get 3 replies or can sit for days without a comment. Where was it notch, redstag, thebounceriankeatley et all went? Think I'll follow.

Me too Sad

Not sure where those are, but https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/ is great. Wum posts are displayed as such "bantz" and the few wummers from here who i noticed over there trying to cause trouble were downvoted to oblivion.

I love that forum, much better than this shambles.

avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-02
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:16 am

RiscaGame wrote:No Friday Night Lights at Rodney. Bit of a shame.

Probably works in my favour that I don’t have to rush from Oxford on a Friday, but might’ve been nice to have a few.

As much as I liked a Friday night game not having to make a mad rush to Filton Abbey Wood to cram onto a commuter train makes up for it.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-02
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum