The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 4:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

A new thread to continue the tracking of where the multi-country Championship is heading.

With the TV deals done for Ireland, UK, Italy and South Africa, PRO14 quietly announced their deal for tapping other broadcast markets around the world with rights partner, RDA, who already have the Heineken Cup and English Premiership in their stable.  

Here’s extract from what the PRO14 press release said:  

Guinness PRO14 is the first rugby union championship to host clubs from the traditional rugby powers in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, with teams from South Africa competing against the top sides from Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy.....

....RDA’s focus will be on growing revenues in core markets as well as increasing the Guinness PRO14’s global footprint. Current media agreements in host markets secured by PRO14 include eir sport in Ireland, Premier Sports in the UK and Super Sport in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Martin Anayi, CEO, Guinness PRO14 commented: “It’s an incredible time in the Guinness PRO14 with our expansion into South Africa, the success of our clubs in Europe and the confirmation of our new broadcast partners in Ireland and the UK. Every season the biggest names in world rugby take to the pitch in our Championship guided by some of the sharpest minds in the game providing imaginative, high-intensity match-ups which make for compulsive viewing.

“The Guinness PRO14 is one of the most talked about rugby properties in the world right now and it’s the perfect time to join forces with RDA who have a track record of success when it comes to sports media rights. With brands such as Premiership Rugby, Champions Cup and European Challenge Cup in their portfolio we can ensure that rugby fans will feel a part of the Guinness PRO14 action no matter where they are.”

...,Richard Dennis, CEO, RDA commented: “The Guinness PRO14 is an action-packed tournament. With a global-playing base of 300 players capped at full international level, and 100 top players from countries such as New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and the Pacific Islands, PRO14 will have a worldwide appeal to rugby fans. It also boasts some impressive stats, 1.3 million attendees last season and games averaging 5.9 tries, so it’s no surprise scoring has risen for the fifth year in a row. We’re very much excited to be working with the Guinness PRO14.”

RDA adds the Guinness PRO14 to a strong rugby portfolio covering the newly sponsored Champions Cup, European Challenge Cup, Premiership Rugby, Betfred Super League and the RFL International Test Series.

Anayi in another pre-season general interview said that PRO16 would be the ideal size for the Championship that would allow less regular season games to be played and avoid test windows. It’s likely the final two spots would go to two more SA teams - likely from Super Rugby before the start of its new Sanzaar TV contract in 2020.

Anayi also mentioned that they were bringing in a new programme to allow them employ professional referees directly on their elite refs panel.


Last edited by Pot Hale on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down


Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 4:31 pm

How does he know that I always type Martyn if he's claiming to ignore me?

Aki's deal is conservatively worth €400k a year, so it's pretty obvious that Connacht's wage bill will be over €1m.

After all, Martyn, if Connacht's wage bill isn't that much, how do we arrive at the total spend by the IRFU? Oh, that's right, by noting that the other three spend significant sums.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-09

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by SecretFly on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 4:33 pm

The moral is that the rich win.


SecretFly

Posts : 28780
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 4:34 pm

marty2086 wrote:

If you don't know then why did you claim millions?

Not like Ulster have issued their annual report or anything, so much or not being transparent Rolling Eyes  

Not sure why they need to be transparent though Erm

Oh, are we now at the stage of being disingenuous about the annual report (the one that doesn't have any financial details and the one that notes only the local budgeted contribution and not the final salary spend of another company's employees).

Shame.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-09

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 5:11 pm

PhilBB wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

If you don't know then why did you claim millions?

Not like Ulster have issued their annual report or anything, so much or not being transparent Rolling Eyes  

Not sure why they need to be transparent though Erm

Oh, are we now at the stage of being disingenuous about the annual report (the one that doesn't have any financial details and the one that notes only the local budgeted contribution and not the final salary spend of another company's employees).

Shame.

So how much do you think the IRFU currently contributes to the provincial branches, Phil?
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by SecretFly on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 5:16 pm

He can only guess 'cause accounts aren't transparent.  
But guessing about finances or anything is banned on this site.... an unwritten rule mostly enforced by Phil himself.  'Prove it' Phil says.

So the reply to your query will be interesting, Pot.  Well...pseudo interesting...

SecretFly

Posts : 28780
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 7:37 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

If you don't know then why did you claim millions?

Not like Ulster have issued their annual report or anything, so much or not being transparent Rolling Eyes  

Not sure why they need to be transparent though Erm

Oh, are we now at the stage of being disingenuous about the annual report (the one that doesn't have any financial details and the one that notes only the local budgeted contribution and not the final salary spend of another company's employees).

Shame.

So how much do you think the IRFU currently contributes to the provincial branches, Phil?

Ah Pot you had to go and share his post, it's making me miss his tinfoil hat rants

the actual financial performance was £254k better than budget

This increased funding amounted to £450k

Commercial income was almost £200k ahead of budget

No financial details in the report he says, wonder where I got those financial details from Whistle

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 7:41 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

If you don't know then why did you claim millions?

Not like Ulster have issued their annual report or anything, so much or not being transparent Rolling Eyes  

Not sure why they need to be transparent though Erm

Oh, are we now at the stage of being disingenuous about the annual report (the one that doesn't have any financial details and the one that notes only the local budgeted contribution and not the final salary spend of another company's employees).

Shame.

So how much do you think the IRFU currently contributes to the provincial branches, Phil?

Ah Pot you had to go and share his post, it's making me miss his tinfoil hat rants

the actual financial performance was £254k better than budget

This increased funding amounted to £450k

Commercial income was almost £200k ahead of budget

No financial details in the report he says, wonder where I got those financial details from Whistle

Does it really matter?
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 9:23 am

marty2086 wrote:

Phil always types Martyn, funny that you are now too


Can I just ask: Are you claiming that I and another poster posting on this thread are the same person?

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 9:24 am

Pot Hale wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

If you don't know then why did you claim millions?

Not like Ulster have issued their annual report or anything, so much or not being transparent Rolling Eyes  

Not sure why they need to be transparent though Erm

Oh, are we now at the stage of being disingenuous about the annual report (the one that doesn't have any financial details and the one that notes only the local budgeted contribution and not the final salary spend of another company's employees).

Shame.

So how much do you think the IRFU currently contributes to the provincial branches, Phil?

For what? You've already published how the salary expenditure works
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-09

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 9:25 am

marty2086 wrote:
Ah Pot you had to go and share his post, it's making me miss his tinfoil hat rants

the actual financial performance was £254k better than budget

This increased funding amounted to £450k

Commercial income was almost £200k ahead of budget

No financial details in the report he says, wonder where I got those financial details from Whistle

The narrative, not the detail.

I'm surprised that you can't tell the difference bet.... oh, hang on, no I'm not.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-09

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 11:22 am

PhilBB wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

If you don't know then why did you claim millions?

Not like Ulster have issued their annual report or anything, so much or not being transparent Rolling Eyes  

Not sure why they need to be transparent though Erm

Oh, are we now at the stage of being disingenuous about the annual report (the one that doesn't have any financial details and the one that notes only the local budgeted contribution and not the final salary spend of another company's employees).

Shame.

So how much do you think the IRFU currently contributes to the provincial branches, Phil?

For what? You've already published how the salary expenditure works

Yes I have. But not the total estimated amount of what the provinces receive. Various estimations have been bandied about, I was wondering what your estimation was based on your knowledge of financial matters. No worries, it’s not important.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by PhilBB on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 11:26 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Yes I have.  But not the total estimated amount of what the provinces receive.  Various estimations have been bandied about, I was wondering what your estimation was based on your knowledge of financial matters. No worries, it’s not important.

I've no interest in what they receive outside of squad costs, sorry, and we've chewed the fat and made the guesses on that before.

For community work, women's rugby, referees etc. I haven't given it a thought.
avatar
PhilBB

Posts : 4482
Join date : 2012-10-09

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 2:37 pm

PhilBB wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
Yes I have.  But not the total estimated amount of what the provinces receive.  Various estimations have been bandied about, I was wondering what your estimation was based on your knowledge of financial matters. No worries, it’s not important.

I've no interest in what they receive outside of squad costs, sorry, and we've chewed the fat and made the guesses on that before.

For community work, women's rugby, referees etc. I haven't given it a thought.

Grand.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 6:32 pm

I see that Premier Sports have announced their on-screen talent for PRO14 in Northern Ireland covering Ulster games with Mark Little, Mark Robson and Andrew Trimble making up the team.

The panels for Scotland And Wales will be announced in the next week or two.

Interesting approach to localize talent across the different broadcast territories.

Sunset & Vine have been appointed as the broadcast production partners with Premier Sports - they’re a top notch production outfit so picture and presentation output quality should be good - in theory.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RiscaGame on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 12:43 pm

Robson puts me off a bit.

Wales is apparently Ross Harries and Sean Holley, as well as others from Scrum V (I expect). Holley puts me off too.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2196
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by carpet baboon on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 12:49 pm

But none of us will have to tolerate Stuart Barnes. Which is always a bonus

carpet baboon

Posts : 2011
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 8:59 am

Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 9:43 am

munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 11:33 am

munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 11:38 am

Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.

Nah, BBC NI coverage is ridiculously biased, embarrassingly so.

avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 11:56 am

munkian wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.

Nah, BBC NI coverage is ridiculously biased, embarrassingly so.


Have you actually watched it or just went for a stereotype?

Some of those on BBC NI were the biggest critics of Ulster last season and even before that not to mention this is PremierSports though not BBC NI

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 12:02 pm

marty2086 wrote:
munkian wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.

Nah, BBC NI coverage is ridiculously biased, embarrassingly so.


Have you actually watched it or just went for a stereotype?

Some of those on BBC NI were the biggest critics of Ulster last season and even before that not to mention this is PremierSports though not BBC NI

Unfortunately I have, they kept referring to Ulster as 'us' and the opposition as 'them'.

Trimble should be Ok but Robson is feicing awful.



avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 12:10 pm

munkian wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
munkian wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.

Nah, BBC NI coverage is ridiculously biased, embarrassingly so.


Have you actually watched it or just went for a stereotype?

Some of those on BBC NI were the biggest critics of Ulster last season and even before that not to mention this is PremierSports though not BBC NI

Unfortunately I have, they kept referring to Ulster as 'us' and the opposition as 'them'.

Trimble should be Ok but Robson is feicing awful.




And? You get that with Welsh and English commentators too Rolling Eyes

It's a service for fans of Ulster, it's also doesn't mean they are biased

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 1:19 pm

munkian wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.

Nah, BBC NI coverage is ridiculously biased, embarrassingly so.


You should listen to the Welsh coverage, it’s just sickening. Sean Holley has to be the worst ever.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by The Oracle on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 1:22 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.

Nah, BBC NI coverage is ridiculously biased, embarrassingly so.


You should listen to the Welsh coverage, it’s just sickening.  Sean Holley has to be the worst ever.  

Nice try! Laugh
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 2:35 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.

Nah, BBC NI coverage is ridiculously biased, embarrassingly so.


You should listen to the Welsh coverage, it’s just sickening.  Sean Holley has to be the worst ever.  

Nice try!  Laugh

If you’re going to exaggerate, I always aim high, Oracle. The guy can’t commentate on a game without having a pop at Irish refs, Irish teams or Irish players. Just drones on and on. Dreadful stuff. For a while I thought he might be LD in disguise... Whistle
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by The Oracle on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 3:19 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.

Nah, BBC NI coverage is ridiculously biased, embarrassingly so.


You should listen to the Welsh coverage, it’s just sickening.  Sean Holley has to be the worst ever.  

Nice try!  Laugh

If you’re going to exaggerate, I always aim high, Oracle.   The guy can’t commentate on a game without having a pop at Irish refs, Irish teams or Irish players.   Just drones on and on.  Dreadful stuff.   For a while I thought he might be LD in disguise...  Whistle

I thought you were just sarcastically fighting back, to be honest. But saying that, does Holley even commentate? I only ever see him doing the halftime analysis.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 3:25 pm

I'm pretty sure he only does analysis...

Welsh continent for Premier Sports appear to be Nugget, Shane Williams and Butler. Hmm.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 3:35 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
munkian wrote:Great, more partisan Norn Iron monotone dross then.

To balance the more partisan Welsh, Scottish and Irish monotone drones on the other games.

Seems fair.

Nah, BBC NI coverage is ridiculously biased, embarrassingly so.


You should listen to the Welsh coverage, it’s just sickening.  Sean Holley has to be the worst ever.  

Nice try!  Laugh

If you’re going to exaggerate, I always aim high, Oracle.   The guy can’t commentate on a game without having a pop at Irish refs, Irish teams or Irish players.   Just drones on and on.  Dreadful stuff.   For a while I thought he might be LD in disguise...  Whistle

I thought you were just sarcastically fighting back, to be honest.  But saying that, does Holley even commentate?  I only ever see him doing the halftime analysis.

There was someone on BBC Wales commentating last season, pretty sure it was Martyn Williams, constantly moaning about a ref who seemed to be doing a decent job and blaming them for Cardiff losing. Don' think I've ever heard that on BBCNI, not that they have never criticised refs but it's usually fairly balanced and the players and team take the criticism for defeats

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 3:39 pm

So its not Holey its Martyn Williams ? Quite a leap there..

Are you also suggesting the pro14 reffing is of a particularly high standard ?
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 3:49 pm

Is wasn't me who said it was Holley, quite a leap to suggest it was Rolling Eyes

You might want to read what I wrote. I didn't comment on the overall standard, merely that a ref who seemed to be doing well was getting blamed for a team losing by a former player

Now I don't watch BBC Wales coverage regularly so Im not sure if that I the norm but it was quite shocking as like I said the ref seemed to be getting things right and it was merely that the decisions went against his team.

As I said the BBCNI coverage has criticised refs, even when Ulster have won they have addressed poor officiating and praised some too in defeat so the claim that they are biased because they say us and them is just silly

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by The Oracle on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 4:48 pm

The BBCNI coverage is truly shocking. I was physically sick during one game due to the level of bias and bile. Shocking. My wife had a heart attack one game due to the bias. Disgusting.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 11:28 pm

The Oracle wrote:The BBCNI coverage is truly shocking. I was physically sick during one game due to the level of bias and bile. Shocking. My wife had a heart attack one game due to the bias. Disgusting.

That's the spirit, Oracle. 9/10. OK
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by SecretFly on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 10:31 am

So ProAnyNumberThatSoundsGood is also clinically proven, in double blind studies at well respected Universities world wide, to be bad for the cardio pulmonary system???!!!!!

The thing is f**King lethal and really we must think about banning it at this stage.  Mafia refs, hoodlum owners, games thrown for fat cat brown envelope payments into Caymen Island Investment Accounts.  Friday night skulduggery, non-transparency, Klingon Cloaking devices, non-interested players, poor standards, terrible pitches, rabid and unhinged fans....... and now High tar and filterless packaging without any warning signs?

A bloody disgrace.

SecretFly

Posts : 28780
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by RugbyFan100 on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 10:38 am

SecretFly wrote:So ProAnyNumberThatSoundsGood is also clinically proven, in double blind studies at well respected Universities world wide, to be bad for the cardio pulmonary system???!!!!!

The thing is f**King lethal and really we must think about banning it at this stage.  Mafia refs, hoodlum owners, games thrown for fat cat brown envelope payments into Caymen Island Investment Accounts.  Friday night skulduggery, non-transparency, Klingon Cloaking devices, non-interested players, poor standards, terrible pitches, rabid and unhinged fans....... and now High tar and filterless packaging without any warning signs?

A bloody disgrace.

Another excellent contribution to the thread. Well done.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by SecretFly on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 10:39 am

Who are you?

Have we met before?

SecretFly

Posts : 28780
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by SecretFly on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 10:41 am

...oh and thank you very kindly for the compliment of course. Some of us have to keep the 606 standards above the waterline.

SecretFly

Posts : 28780
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 12:54 pm

Preseason updates

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/08/14/guinness-pro14-clubs-heating-up-in-pre-season-friendlies/

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by The Oracle on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 1:30 pm

SecretFly wrote:So ProAnyNumberThatSoundsGood is also clinically proven, in double blind studies at well respected Universities world wide, to be bad for the cardio pulmonary system???!!!!!

The thing is f**King lethal and really we must think about banning it at this stage.  Mafia refs, hoodlum owners, games thrown for fat cat brown envelope payments into Caymen Island Investment Accounts.  Friday night skulduggery, non-transparency, Klingon Cloaking devices, non-interested players, poor standards, terrible pitches, rabid and unhinged fans....... and now High tar and filterless packaging without any warning signs?

A bloody disgrace.


This sounds really exciting! You've whetted my appetite. Looking forward to the start of the season now!
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Pot Hale on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 4:13 am

From the Telegraph:

PRO14 chiefs have stressed that local police forces in Glasgow are happy with the arrangements for next year’s 2018/2019 final at Celtic Park, despite the event taking place on the same day as the Scottish Cup Final at nearby Hampden Park.

Glaswegian rivals Celtic and Rangers may well be involved in next year’s Scottish Cup final on May 26th, the same day as the Pro14 event, with the two venues situated only 3.3 miles apart.

“We have worked with the city and police, and I think they are really happy with the two events being in two separate parts of the city,” confirmed PRO14 CEO Martin Anayi on Monday. “I believe the kick-off for the Scottish Cup final will be earlier in the day, although that is still to be confirmed, and our kick-off will be later between 5:30pm and 6pm.”

“There will be time in between [the two matches], but we are working very closely with the organising committee, the police and the council to make sure it goes without a hitch.”

The Pro14 final kick-off time was moved forward by half an hour last season, in order to accommodate for local supporters in Dublin to be able to watch the Champions League final between Liverpool and Real Madrid without the two events overlapping.

Meanwhile, Pro14 board director Dominic McKay also confirmed that the cross-border league are not set to immediately add more teams into the competition, despite the successful addition of the Cheetahs and Kings from South Africa last season following their exit from Super Rugby.

“At the moment it's about bedding in the two South African teams we have just now and making sure the competition is a great success. What's important is that we have a great product and that is evidenced today.”
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by The Oracle on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 9:57 am

Pot Hale wrote:From the Telegraph:

PRO14 chiefs have stressed that local police forces in Glasgow are happy with the arrangements for next year’s 2018/2019 final at Celtic Park, despite the event taking place on the same day as the Scottish Cup Final at nearby Hampden Park.

Glaswegian rivals Celtic and Rangers may well be involved in next year’s Scottish Cup final on May 26th, the same day as the Pro14 event, with the two venues situated only 3.3 miles apart.

“We have worked with the city and police, and I think they are really happy with the two events being in two separate parts of the city,” confirmed PRO14 CEO Martin Anayi on Monday. “I believe the kick-off for the Scottish Cup final will be earlier in the day, although that is still to be confirmed, and our kick-off will be later between 5:30pm and 6pm.”

“There will be time in between [the two matches], but we are working very closely with the organising committee, the police and the council to make sure it goes without a hitch.”

The Pro14 final kick-off time was moved forward by half an hour last season, in order to accommodate for local supporters in Dublin to be able to watch the Champions League final between Liverpool and Real Madrid without the two events overlapping.

Meanwhile, Pro14 board director Dominic McKay also confirmed that the cross-border league are not set to immediately add more teams into the competition, despite the successful addition of the Cheetahs and Kings from South Africa last season following their exit from Super Rugby.

“At the moment it's about bedding in the two South African teams we have just now and making sure the competition is a great success. What's important is that we have a great product and that is evidenced today.”


You stirrer, Pot! Laugh
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:47 am

Pro14 chief executive officer Martin Anayi believes the competition can usurp the French and English leagues to become the best in the world.

Southern Kings and Toyota Cheetahs joined Irish, Italian, Scottish and Welsh teams in the league last season.

Anayi says the South African sides' addition and an improved broadcasting deal has helped narrow the gap to the traditional major leagues.

"I don't think it's an enormous gap," Anayi told BBC Scotland.

"My job is to make sure this is the best league in the world on any metric you look at.

"We want our teams to be strong internationally, we want our teams to be strong in the European cups and we want our players to go on Lions tours and do great things for international honours. So we have a different reason for being [compared to the French and English leagues] and success is judged in that way.

"[Ireland, Wales and Scotland] were one-two-three in the Six Nations and they provided a highest amount of players ever to the British and Irish Lions.

"If you look at it in the full context of whether the tournament is doing its job, I think it is. Are we giving them the resources they need to compete? We are and that can improve. That's my job."

Dominic McKay, Scottish Rugby's chief operating officer and a Pro14 board director, is emphatic in his belief the league can be the envy of the rugby world.

"We would like it to be the best league in the world. Simple as that," McKay said.

"We believe we have the best players. We believe we have the right structure. We believe we have the right territories that we're in, and uniquely, because we are cross-border, it lends itself to many mini-internationals every week.

"We've got a way to go yet, we're chasing a few others, but we believe in the coming years that we can become the number one league in the world. That is our ambition and that's what we are working towards."

The two seven-team conferences from last season will continue into the new campaign with Cardiff Blues, Cheetahs, Glasgow Warriors, Munster, Ospreys and Zebre in Conference A and Benetton, Dragons, Edinburgh, Leinster, Scarlets, Southern Kings and Ulster in Conference B.

Defending champions Leinster open away to Cardiff on 31 August, when Ospreys host Edinburgh, and the remaining sides play their first matches on 1 September.

Anayi says "16 teams is the pinnacle format number" for the Pro14 but, despite reports of more South African teams coming and an ongoing interest in bringing in an American team, there are no new additions to the league imminent.

"Our competition format allows us to expand further without just adding more games," Anayi continued.

"One of the critical things we had if we did want to expand further you wouldn't just want to add more games. Overall you might want to reduce. Up the quality, lessen the quantity.

"Who those two extra teams are, it's quite fun to find out over the next few years and we have to make sure when they come in, whoever it is, they are very competitive from the outset. It's going to be exciting so we'll wait and see."


marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by The Oracle on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 11:02 am

Cardiff 'makes sense' as Pro 14 final location - Martin Anayi

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45253264

"Pro14 chief executive Martin Anayi says he would like to see the final held in Cardiff.

The Welsh capital has never hosted the league's showpiece event in the regional era, with the 2019 final being held at Glasgow's Celtic Park.

Since 2015, when the venue for the final was chosen in advance, two finals have been held in Dublin, one in Edinburgh and one in Belfast.

"Absolutely we do want a final in Cardiff and Wales," said Anayi.

"We really want that to happen. It's a slight anomaly that it hasn't happened before."

Cardiff hosted the 2003 final between Neath and Munster at what was then named the Millennium Stadium, which the Irish province won.

However, there has been no finale held in Wales since the inception of regional rugby in 2003.

Before 2015, the venue for the Pro12 final was staged at the highest ranked side from the league out of the two teams competing for silverware.

Each time a Welsh region qualified for the final they were out-ranked and the final was not held in Wales.

Should the final be held in Wales, it would take most likely place at Principality Stadium in Cardiff, which has hosted world title boxing fights and sold-out concerts.

"Cardiff have been very close to hosting a final, but there have been other events that have taken priority in the calendar for one reason or another," said Anayi.

"There are a lot of reasons why Cardiff would make sense." "
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 11:48 am

Obviously Cardiff would be a cracking location but its not a massive money spinner for the Principality stadium.

I
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 1:58 pm

munkian wrote:Obviously Cardiff would be a cracking location but its not a massive money spinner for the Principality stadium.

I

Why isn't it?

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 2:09 pm

marty2086 wrote:
munkian wrote:Obviously Cardiff would be a cracking location but its not a massive money spinner for the Principality stadium.

I

Why isn't it?

Ok, comparatively they can get more for non rugby related events.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 3:45 pm

munkian wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
munkian wrote:Obviously Cardiff would be a cracking location but its not a massive money spinner for the Principality stadium.

I

Why isn't it?

Ok, comparatively they can get more for non rugby related events.

Says who?

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Irish Londoner on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 8:28 am

Cardiff would be a good venue, and if a Welsh club (preferably Cardiff) got to the final might even be a sell out or close to it.
But the stadium would certainly make more money from putting on Ed Sheeran or Taylor Swift than a rugby game.

Irish Londoner

Posts : 1099
Join date : 2011-07-10
Age : 57
Location : Wakefield

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by marty2086 on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 8:48 am

Except that the stadium has never hosted a concert in the month of May

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by munkian on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:00 am

marty2086 wrote:Except that the stadium has never hosted a concert in the month of May

Off the top of my head they had Monster Trucks there in May this year you absolute helmet thumbsup
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: The Future for the PRO14 - Part 6 - Pay TV, More SA Makes Sweet 16

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum