Where to see the US PGA in the U.K.?

Go down

Where to see the US PGA in the U.K.?

Post by I'm never wrong on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 8:47 am

In my paper this morning it states that both the BBC and SKY have turned down the opportunity to broadcast the USPGA. Too expensive they say. So unless BY Sport or Eurosport pick it up, we might have to watch via streaming. I wonder if Eurosport will do it, as being part of Discovery and doing it as a trial for their forthcoming tie up with the PGA tour. Although the two are not connected.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Re: Where to see the US PGA in the U.K.?

Post by wiretapper on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 9:23 am

I like to see as much live golf on free to air TV as possible but in retrospect the BBC messed things up last year. To give them a a wee bit of leeway they did secure the rights late on and already had the athletics from London showing that weekend but putting half of each day's play on the red button no doubt lost them a lot of viewers and without the numbers it looks like they couldn't justify the costs for this year.

Also not sending the team to the event wasn't the best idea ever.

In the US it is shown by TNT, all Thursday and Friday and early Saturday and Sunday, with CBS showing it Saturday and Sunday afternoons so maybe we'll at least get some of it on TCM Laugh

I remember watching Larry Nelson and Jeff Sluman win it in the late 80s live on STV (or ITV for those down south) with the feed taken directly from US TV with many many ad breaks.

It's strange to think 30 years on we have actually moved backwards

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:25 pm

The beeb got a slating ladt year for cobbling something together, which clearly was not priority. I dont get the abuse for having on a red button, easier to get that then sky sports channel 401.

Hope someone picks it up though.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 8:33 am

Channel 5 will pick it up. Vinnie Jones and Melinda Messenger to anchor, first 2 people to walk on the practise green at the nearest golf club to Channel 5 HQ to commentate with analysis from Michael Owen and on course snippets from Nigel Mansell.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Yesterday at 12:03 pm

Shows what a niche sport it is really, golfers are lucky they get so much coverage ( if they choose to pay for Sky) for a sport that in truth interests so few.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Yesterday at 12:57 pm

Why not put it on YouTube like the CL final. I think it was just the BT feed but loads of people watched it. Could do the same but with the TNT commentary.
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum