The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 Racing Point Belgium GP Thread

+8
Fernando
Born Slippy
Fluxy
No name Bertie
dyrewolfe
CaledonianCraig
Nathaniel Jacobs
GSC
12 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

F1 Racing Point Belgium GP Thread - Page 5 Empty F1 Racing Point Belgium GP Thread

Post by GSC Tue 12 Jun 2018, 4:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Imagine it'll all be temp like most street circuits

Last edited by GSC on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 7:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

F1 Racing Point Belgium GP Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: F1 Racing Point Belgium GP Thread

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 21 Aug 2018, 8:51 am

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Toyota #8(Alonso's car) and #7 claimed a dominant 1-2 in the 6hrs of Silverstone in WEC, only to both be disqualified due to over worn skid blocks on both cars. Alonso's Poopie luck follows him everywhere

I can only think he must have done something horrendous in a previous life. Maybe he was a member of the Spanish Inquisition or something. Sad
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

F1 Racing Point Belgium GP Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: F1 Racing Point Belgium GP Thread

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Tue 21 Aug 2018, 9:41 am

The Gasly selection is clearly orchestrated by Jos and Max. Honda haven't made any real progress. A decent result in Bahrain aside they are still changing engine parts pretty much ever race.

Max needs to look good against Gasly so he can jump into a Mercedes/Ferrari seat should either Hamilton/Vettel retire after getting the fifth championship.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 21 Aug 2018, 9:52 am

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:

should either Hamilton/Vettel retire after getting the fifth championship.

I cannot see that happening to be honest. Both are fierce competitors who I think thrive in competing against each other. The only way I see them retiring will be if the wins dry up and I cannot see that happening anytime soon.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:09 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:

I cannot see that happening to be honest. Both are fierce competitors who I think thrive in competing against each other. The only way I see them retiring will be if the wins dry up and I cannot see that happening anytime soon.

Vettel has two daughters I think, after racing for the best part of 25 years, I think watching the kids grow up would be important for him. Also Hamilton talks about going into a music career

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:55 am

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:

Vettel has two daughters I think, after racing for the best part of 25 years, I think watching the kids grow up would be important for him. Also Hamilton talks about going into a music career

True. Of course they won't go on forever but I get the feeling they both want to outdo the other so whilst one carries on so will the other I reckon. Neither are ancient either.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:55 am

Weighed against that though, is the fact that neither likes the technical regs as they stand...and the new ones coming in for 2021 won't change things all that much. Thats 2 more seasons of the status quo, before things improve even slightly.

They have both expressed frustration with the state F1 is in on multiple occasions. That, on top of their growing interests & responsibilities outside of F1, could well override their desire to win the most titles and see them retire "prematurely".
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 23 Aug 2018, 10:54 am

Force India branding vanishing, so would guess a rebrand is coming
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 23 Aug 2018, 11:03 am

"Go for something like Stroll Racing, but more imaginative"

Stroll Racing incoming.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 23 Aug 2018, 11:14 am

Ca-Stroll GTX. Laugh
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Aug 2018, 11:30 am

Bob Fernley has left Force India

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 23 Aug 2018, 11:38 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:

True. Of course they won't go on forever but I get the feeling they both want to outdo the other so whilst one carries on so will the other I reckon. Neither are ancient either.
It is difficult to read the two:
Vettel: always looks intensely focussed, and like he is leaving no stone unturned. One might guess that level of intensity is difficult to maintain. But he may be driven by wanting to match his hero Schumacher's achievements but difficult to tell. Didn't realise he had two daughters.

Hamilton: very difficult to read - sometimes he appears laid back, arrogant, careless - other times he seems intensely focussed, other times highly emotional. He always seems uncertain when pressed on his future. Toto Wolff says Hamilton needs that other side of his life - rubbing with musicians & celebrities - to function. It is said that this was similar to Niki Lauda style when he was racing.

A mention of Kimi Räikkönen: he is impossible to read, he seems expressionless most of the time, disinterested, disembodied almost. I guess he could be called pragmatic, no-nonsense.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 23 Aug 2018, 12:10 pm

GSC update the title it's your issue now  Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 23 Aug 2018, 12:21 pm

Liberty tries to get all teams to agree to a new Force India rescue plan. The deal would erase all WCC points from the first 12 races. And it would likely cause a driver rotation at Monza: Stroll -> Force India, Kubica -> Williams, Ocon -> McLaren.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 23 Aug 2018, 12:22 pm

Bottas & Hulkenburg changing power units so will start from the back

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 23 Aug 2018, 3:41 pm

No brainer for Bottas, he'll still basically be guaranteed 4th from the back of the grid anyway!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Aug 2018, 5:51 pm

It’s official. The team is renamed ‘Racing Point Force India’.

Not surprised the Stroll name isn’t incorporated, seeing as it's a consortium of five. I actually doubt the Stroll family view this as a long term deal, just an opportunity.

All in all, a bit of a mess this musical chairs mid-season. McLaren seem to of ended up with a good line-up, given the mess that team is in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:36 pm

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel will get third generation powerunits. Kimi also likely to get new power unit and that means grid pen. Kimi has only had two first generation power units so far so he'll be be happy for some extra power.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 24 Aug 2018, 2:41 pm

Raikkonen fastest on quali sims, Vettel didnt get a good lap in.

Gasly lost a second to Raikkonen in the first sector, food for thought
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 25 Aug 2018, 12:14 pm

Bottas should really be in trouble for that
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 25 Aug 2018, 12:23 pm

Bottas is a continual embarrassment. Suicide move to Vettel and Riccardo in Hungary. Now he tried to put vardoorne into a coffin. Bottas mentally weak and really shouldn't be in that Mercedes. Ocon should've been promoted

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 25 Aug 2018, 1:39 pm

Not entirely sure how almost putting someone in the wall at 200mph after being warned he was coming by the team isn't reckless but there it is.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 25 Aug 2018, 1:41 pm

In context, what Bottas did to Vandoorne was several times more dangerous than Vettel did to Sainz at Austria
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Aug 2018, 2:24 pm

McLaren are a shambles, but Vandoorne’s time is up. Sainz eliminated from Q1

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 25 Aug 2018, 2:33 pm

Give Vandoorne a chance with a good car
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Aug 2018, 2:50 pm

Wet Q3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Aug 2018, 3:01 pm

Hamilton pole
Vettel in second
Ocon in third
Perez in fourth

What a start for Racing Point

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 25 Aug 2018, 3:27 pm

Rain probably saves Mercedes again. Timing everything today with the rain on and off all Q3
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Aug 2018, 3:32 pm

Sick and tired of the ‘rain saves Mercedes’ stuff, even the pundits stating Vettel’s vulnerability in those conditions is heavily costing him in the WDC. In the ‘dry’, Mercedes were 0.05 off Ferrari in Q2, it was anyone’s pole out of the top 3. Ferrari also made a mess for Kimi in Q3.

Still have Vettel favourite for tomorrow, should bypass Hamilton with the tow

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 26 Aug 2018, 12:02 am

Ocon confirmed to Sebedee on the interview that he's out of a job for next year.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Aug 2018, 2:18 pm

LeClerc, Alonso & Hulkenberg out on lap 1. Vettel unsurprisingly does Hamilton on the kemmel straight. SC out

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 26 Aug 2018, 2:24 pm

Amateur driving by hulkenberg causing that carnage. Nothing Alonso nor LeClerc could do.

The Pratt Riccardo destroys Kimi's race

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Aug 2018, 2:36 pm

Thank god for the halo
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 26 Aug 2018, 2:41 pm

Kimi retires with drs failure

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Aug 2018, 3:09 pm

Probably wise to turn down the engine for Hamilton. No chance passing Vettel here.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Aug 2018, 3:30 pm

Threatened some decent action but 2 of the faster cars out at the first corner, and the Ferrari being faster in the dry, it turned into a non event
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Aug 2018, 3:39 pm

RPFI the main beneficiaries of this weekend, 5/6 finish should lift some spirits.

Good weekend for Haas also
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 26 Aug 2018, 3:44 pm

Mercedes will be hoping for rain as in the dry they aren't in Ferrari's league

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 26 Aug 2018, 5:23 pm

10 place grid penalty for Hulkenberg for his crash into Alonso.

Bottas 5sec time penalty for crashing into Sirotkin on lap 1. 3 penalties in 2 races for Bottas

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Aug 2018, 7:04 pm

Pivotal 2 races coming up. Mercedes sound worried about Monza after being out powered by Ferrari here, and likely to be 3rd fastest at Singapore with RB already writing off Monza to get fresh PUs.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Aug 2018, 7:49 pm

Those images of tyre marks on LeClercs halo pretty much kill any debate over how they look.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 26 Aug 2018, 7:51 pm

GSC wrote:Those images of tyre marks on LeClercs halo pretty much kill any debate over how they look.

Yes indeed. I shudder to think of the consequences if there had been no halo.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 28 Aug 2018, 8:52 am

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:10 place grid penalty for Hulkenberg for his crash into Alonso.

Bottas 5sec time penalty for crashing into Sirotkin on lap 1. 3 penalties in 2 races for Bottas

Did they find out why Hulk crashed in the first place? Was it driver error or a problem with the brakes? Quite uncharacteristic of him to make that kind of mistake, if the former. As others have said, that pretty much settles the halo debate...at least until they come up with something better.

Looks like Ferrari have a couple of races to close the gap on Mercedes. Obviously made some major upgrades to their engine and/or battery system. Did I hear right that Hamilton was asking whether they might have been doing something dodgy with their fuel (they were also using a new Shell product)?

Brilliant race for FI - think they may now have "come of age" as the best of the rest, behind the top 3 teams. Was quite surprised Verstappen managed to pass them both so easily. I know RB were running a skinny rear wing, but they still have a big power deficit to the Mercedes engine (which FI use).

Also surprised they finished ahead of the Haas cars. Do Haas have the same spec engine as Ferrari? If so the difference must be in the chassis & aero.

Other than the opening lap chaos, it was a depressingly boring race though...and this is bloody Spa we're talking about! Just highlighted that when any team gains a performance advantage, it becomes a 1-horse race. Hamilton had no chance to defend against Vettel...even before DRS was enabled. Just breezed past him and headed into the distance. Even as a Hamilton & Mercedes fan its not exciting watching them dominate races (though it is at least more satisfying).
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Tue 28 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm

Hulkenberg admitted he got his braking point wrong and admitted his guilt. Alonso wanted him ban as Grosjean was back in 2012. But Grosjean was guilty of continually crashing back when that incident occurred. Hulkenberg probably one of the cleanest drivers around. Never seen him cause an accident befor.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Tue 28 Aug 2018, 4:11 pm

Think Haas are happier is warmer conditions as essentially their 2018 car is last years Ferrari

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 28 Aug 2018, 6:32 pm

Watched the on boards video, Vettel destroys Hamilton after the top of the hill. Ferrari gets some tow at the top of the engine.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2018, 7:12 pm

Hamilton messed up raidillon, that’s why. Vettel would of done him anyway. Vettel should have Monza in the bag, in what should be another bore-fest, unless weather intervenes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Tue 28 Aug 2018, 7:39 pm

There's supposed to be some rain on Friday and Saturday at Monza. Saturday's should miss qualifying though.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 30 Aug 2018, 8:43 pm

Red Bull looking at Ferrari simulator driver Daniil Kvyat or Ferrari junior Antonio giovinazzi to fill one of Toro Rosso's seat in 2019. If the torpedoe returns to Toro Rosso it would be his third stint there. Ferrari not keen of giovinazzi going to Toro Rosso

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 30 Aug 2018, 9:52 pm

I'd bring back Vergne before whatever's left of Kvyats confidence
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 31 Aug 2018, 8:41 am

Belting it down so p1 a write off
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next