Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 10:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Leinster fans - we're a fickle bunch.

As soon as the club gets any kind of success, the fans all disappear from here being far too busy scouring the shops for the new 'four-star' top and associated scarf, hat, rain-jacket (light weather), heavy parka (for visiting Limerick in winter), alternate dayglo away strip with fur-lined collar (for out West), and up to date badges and paraphernalia for the beemer, car-seat, and nappy-bag 3-in-1 holdall/pram/kiddy thingy.

Despite that, Leo and his merry men, have been busy sizing up the latest batch of academy starlets with a number of them being signed on Development contracts to the senior squad.  The departures last season of a few old hands through injury/retirement was accompanied by two high-profile transfers and a number of academy/development players who didn't make the grade moving on or being released:

Departed
Jordi Murphy to Ulster and Joey Carbery to Munster
Jamie Heaslip, Isa Nacewa and Richardt Strauss retired
Oisin Heffernan to Nottingham
Cathal Marsh and Peadar Timmins released

Incoming
Isa Nacewa's dressing-room seat was still warm when newcomer, Australian international, Joe Tomane, was announced as the new Non-Irish Eligible player for the squad.  He's played with Montpelier for the last couple of seasons, and will look to tie down a regular starting slot at wing or centre during the season.  He's of Samoan/Cook Island descent so won't be included in the "two foreign player" limits in the PRO14 and Heineken Cup.

Promoted from Academy: Jordan Larmour (fullback), Vakh Abdaladze (prop), Caelan Doris (No 8), Josh Murphy and Will Connors (flankers)
Joe Tomane from Montpellier - wing/centre.

Squad and Coaching
That makes a 44-strong senior squad and a further 19 players in the Academy including 8 new players starting their first year.

Unlike the other provinces, Leinster now don't have any SA-born players in their squad with just 2 NIE players - Fardy/Tomane (Aus) and 2 NIQ players Gibson-Park/Lowe (NZ) in their ranks.  Vakh Abdaladze, born in Georgia, moved to Ireland at age 5/6, and encouraged by his father, a former No.8 for Georgia, switched from soccer to rugby, and from centre to loosehead prop, and finally to tighthead.  He made it onto the Ireland U20s squad for the World Cup and was part of the team that beat New Zealand before losing to England in the final alongside Ryan, Porter and Stockdale.

On the coaching front, Leo and Stuart still head the bill, with former Leinster No 10 and highly popular Argentina test player/captain, Felipe Contemponi, replacing the departed Girvan Dempsey as Backs Coach.

Upcoming Fixtures
Leinster play Montauban in France and Newcastle at Energia Park in Donnybrook for their pre-season games, before kicking off their PRO14 Championship title defence with a cross-conference game against Cardiff at the Arms Park on August 31.   They stay in Wales to meet Conference B rivals, Scarlets, in Llanelli, the following week.  Their first home game is against Dragons at the RDS on 15 Sept.  They've only one away game in SA this season, against Kings on Sunday, 4 November.  

The first interpro derby is in Galway against Connacht on 29 Sept, followed a week later by the annual Leinster/Munster knees-up at Lansdowne Road on 6 October - good prep for the first two rounds of the Heineken Cup (it's back!) against Pool One rivals Wasps, or Toulouse or Bath during October.

Developments
Coaching has been a big part of summer activities at the club with the usual summer camps being held for kids of all ages sold out around the province and a particular target being met of developing coaches - men and women's - across the 12 counties in the province.  

In the background, planning permission extension is still underway for the planned demolition and redevelopment of the Anglesea Stand next season which will add another 4,000 approx to the RDS Arena for hosting the various public events (including de rugby) during the year.    It's not known at this stage what that's going to mean for ticket prices, particularly for ST holders in Anglesea Stand, but it's likely there'll be some news on the stadium development towards the back-end of the season in 2019.

With a large number of the senior squad on restricted player management, Leinster are going to find their first few matches tough, particularly away in Wales in rounds 1 & 2.   Looking forward to seeing how they get on.

The Academy squad who normally feature in the British & Irish Cup will now be playing in the new U23 comp set up between IRFU and WRU and some will continue to play for Ireland Sevens squad during the season.

Leinster Senior Squad 2018/19 - 44 players

Hookers: Bryan Byrne, Sean Cronin, James Tracy
Props: Vakh Abdaladze, Michael Bent, Ed Byrne, Peter Dooley, Tadgh Furlong, Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Andrew Porter
Locks: Scott Fardy, Mick Kearney, Ross Molony, Ian Nagle, James Ryan, Devin Toner,
Flankers: Will Connors, Dan Leavy, Josh Murphy, Seán O'Brien, Rhys Ruddock, Josh van der Flier,
Number 8s: Jack Conan, Max Deegan, Caelan Doris
No 9s: Jamison Gibson-Park, Nick McCarthy, Luke McGrath
Out-halves: Ross Byrne, Jonathan Sexton
Midfielders: Tom Daly, Robbie Henshaw, Rory O'Loughlin, Noel Reid, Garry Ringrose
Wings: Adam Byrne, Barry Daly, Dave Kearney, James Lowe, Fergus McFadden, Joe Tomane
Full-backs: Rob Kearney, Jordan Larmour.

Leinster Academy Squad for Hiberno-Welsh U23 Competition and Ireland 7s. - 19 players

Hooker: Ronan Kelleher (year 2) Hooker
Props: Jack Aungier (year 2), Michael Milne (year 1)
Locks: Ryan Baird (year 1), Oisin Dowling (year 2), Jack Dunne (year 1)
Flanker: Scott Penney (year 1)
Scrum-half: Hugh O'Sullivan (year 2), Patrick Patterson (year 1),
Fly-half: Harry Byrne (year 1)
Midfield: Ciaran Frawley (year 2), Gavin Mullin (year 2), Conor O'Brien (year 3), Jimmy O'Brien (year 3), Tommy O'Brien (year 2)
Wings: Hugo Keenan (year 3), Jack Kelly (year 3), Aaron O'Sullivan* (year 1)
Full-back: Michael Silvester (year 1)


Last edited by Pot Hale on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down


Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by SecretFly on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 9:42 am

Laws is laws.

Everybody knows that you break as many as possible before being arrested - refs ain't no different Whistle Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 31282
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sat 15 Dec 2018, 3:11 am

A few changes including a more balanced backrow is in the selection for the return bout with Bath at Lansdowne. 43k tickets sold so it should be a good atmosphere if a bit windy and wet according to forecast.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (29)
14. Adam Byrne (43)
13. Garry Ringrose (56)
12. Rory O’Loughlin (49)
11. James Lowe (21)
10. Johnny Sexton (154) CAPTAIN
9. Luke McGrath (103)
1. Cian Healy (198)
2. Seán Cronin (161)
3. Tadhg Furlong (92)
4. Devin Toner (225)
5. James Ryan (22)
6. Dan Leavy (59)
7. Josh van der Flier (67)
8. Jack Conan (81)

16. James Tracy (78)
17. Ed Byrne (31)
18. Andrew Porter (40)
19. Ross Molony (72)
20. Rhys Ruddock (150)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (60)
22. Ross Byrne (58)
23. Noel Reid (107)
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by SecretFly on Sat 15 Dec 2018, 9:54 pm

I was expecting that performance after last week. Keeping themselves ticking.

SecretFly

Posts : 31282
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Brendan on Sun 16 Dec 2018, 12:50 am

Well done. Need to top the group so beating Toulouse is still the big game left. Bath and Wasps have been poor for the most part but Leinster and Toulouse have been great. I think whoever finishes second in this group is to be avoided

Brendan

Posts : 2760
Join date : 2012-04-08
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sun 16 Dec 2018, 5:22 pm

Racing and Saracens looking good for the top two slots for the quarterfinals and therefore the home semis. Although, Glasgow and Ulster might have something to say about that across rounds 5 & 6, with Ulster playing R92 at Ravenhill the ones more likely to give their eastern provincial neighbours a favour in Round 5 after the Leinster v Toulouse game has finished.

Midfield is still problematic for Leinster with Henshaw's injury likely to keep him out of squad for another few weeks. O'Loughlin did very well and is better than Reid in my view at 12. Don't think Joe Tomane or Tom Daly are going to shift him from there unless Leo is willing try Ross Byrne in a dual playmaker role with Frawley on the bench in 22 shirt.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Collapse2005 on Tue 18 Dec 2018, 12:07 pm

Id fancy Leinster to sneak a win in a semi against Racing or Sarries tough as that would be.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4805
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Tue 18 Dec 2018, 8:16 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Id fancy Leinster to sneak a win in a semi against Racing or Sarries tough as that would be.

Possibly - whatever about Racing, I reckon Saracens will be very tough to meet this season. They’re unbeaten so far and have a 14 point on the 3rd placed team. If they can maintain or possibly improve on that, it gives them a bit of leeway towards the latter end of the season when the Euro semis come around. Obviously they’ll give up some playing quality during the Six Nations, but the standard of the teams beneath Exeter seems to be very patchy and a second-string side may well be enough for them to compete.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by SecretFly on Tue 18 Dec 2018, 9:40 pm

Okay...I'll say it.  I think Leinster are in danger of going too Lancastrian here.  

I think his pomp is beginning to show more and more and if Leinster don't rein it in a little - or in other words mellow it all off with much more attention to the Cheikian hard basterde grunt, then Leinster might become more of a classic Clermont - lots of pizazz but always too fancy to care about the dirty stuff that's needed to top Europe.

I just looked at the game and whilst impressed with the high tempo run-around Duracel battery feel to it all, I think a large part of it was unnecessary fluff.  More growl, less twinkle.  And this comes from a twinkle lover.  Just be cautious Leinster.  We're best when we play honestly in all departments - beauty and beast.  
Just don't lose the run of yourselves Lancaster and Contepomi. Just didn't feel totally Leinster out there for some reason.

SecretFly

Posts : 31282
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by The Oracle on Tue 18 Dec 2018, 10:38 pm

SecretFly wrote:Okay...I'll say it.  I think Leinster are in danger of going too Lancastrian here.  

I think his pomp is beginning to show more and more and if Leinster don't rein it in a little - or in other words mellow it all off with much more attention to the Cheikian hard basterde grunt, then Leinster might become more of a classic Clermont - lots of pizazz but always too fancy to care about the dirty stuff that's needed to top Europe.

I just looked at the game and whilst impressed with the high tempo run-around Duracel battery feel to it all, I think a large part of it was unnecessary fluff.  More growl, less twinkle.  And this comes from a twinkle lover.  Just be cautious Leinster.  We're best when we play honestly in all departments - beauty and beast.  
Just don't lose the run of yourselves Lancaster and Contepomi.  Just didn't feel totally Leinster out there for some reason.

Or to put it another way, you’re one forward pass away from being a ‘Gwent Dragons’! Run

But in all seriousness, talk about first world problems! What I’d give for a little bit of Leinster mediocrity! Try walking a mile in my Dragon shoes! Wales Crying or Very sad Shocked
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2704
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by SecretFly on Tue 18 Dec 2018, 10:56 pm

The Dragons just need a firestarter, Oracle.

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Prodigy-video

Get her lit and a Dragon can last a decade or so without another match, I hear.

Obviously, our limp Irish spy didn't smoke.  New guy will have to be a circus flame-eater.

SecretFly

Posts : 31282
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 19 Dec 2018, 11:43 pm

Lancaster to Dragons is the latest rumour.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 9792
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by The Oracle on Thu 20 Dec 2018, 8:09 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Lancaster to Dragons is the latest rumour.


Laugh Seriously?! Why would he?! Jake
White too! Maybe even a double act!
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2704
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Recwatcher16 on Fri 21 Dec 2018, 10:24 am

Enjoyable few days seeing some old friends in D4 and we decided to use our tickets for the game despite the foul weather, it was a pretty bitter wind by the end.

Bath made brave noises but missing both flyhalfs, two no8's and two full backs made a difficult task that much more tricky. Most Bath fans would also argue centres Roberts and Willison are only stop gaps for the missing Clark and Joseph and the midfield defence was disappointing. Wilson at FH did ok but ultimately was not up to standard and was reflected in the territory and possession stats.

Another french referee who was inconsistent but not much either side can do on that one. Leinster played at pace and in the conditions with some skill, which made the breakdown and forward passes more of a lottery and the Frenchman just waved it all on. The irish front row played more of a sharp game at the scrums, Healy dropping his outside shoulder as usual and got some profit from it, being at home.

It would be interesting to see how Leinster would operate with either of their second rows missing but presumably they and others will all be put back in bubble wrap until the next 'big' game and together with their test experience in familiar combinations makes a potent formula for a Union owned trials side.

I don't see Lancaster coming to Bath anytime soon but would also not be surprised if at the end of the season he moves on. Bath are going to be massively distracted in the next few years trying to get this new stadium built on the Rec, allegedly for £80M most of which is coming out of the owners pocket. The chances of getting a 'return' on that must be somewhere between a pint and nil.

Recwatcher16

Posts : 440
Join date : 2016-02-15

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by SecretFly on Fri 21 Dec 2018, 2:53 pm

Think he (Lancaster)will move on to Ireland - possibly move back to England (International) too of course - but I think he won't be able to resist another shot at International and by now, he's helping nurture the young Irish hopefuls of the medium future so he'd have an interest in seeing what he could do with them at International level.
Leinster will have Contepomi to shift into his position and then I presume bring in another assistant coach to work their way towards an International coaching spot of their own.  In fact, they might even drag in an arch enemy from Munster - one Ronan O'Gara (BOO! HISS! from the D4 crowd Wink )

SecretFly

Posts : 31282
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by LeinsterFan4life on Fri 21 Dec 2018, 5:03 pm

Recwatcher16 wrote:Enjoyable few days seeing some old friends in D4 and we decided to use our tickets for the game despite the foul weather, it was a pretty bitter wind by the end.

Bath made brave noises but missing both flyhalfs, two no8's and two full backs made a difficult task that much more tricky. Most Bath fans would also argue centres Roberts and Willison are only stop gaps for the missing Clark and Joseph and the midfield defence was disappointing. Wilson at FH did ok but ultimately was not up to standard and was reflected in the territory and possession stats.

Another french referee who was inconsistent but not much either side can do on that one. Leinster played at pace and in the conditions with some skill, which made the breakdown and forward passes more of a lottery and the Frenchman just waved it all on. The irish front row played more of a sharp game at the scrums, Healy dropping his outside shoulder as usual and got some profit from it, being at home.

It would be interesting to see how Leinster would operate with either of their second rows missing but presumably they and others will all be put back in bubble wrap until the next 'big' game and together with their test experience in familiar combinations makes a potent formula for a Union owned trials side.

I don't see Lancaster coming to Bath anytime soon but would also not be surprised if at the end of the season he moves on. Bath are going to be massively distracted in the next few years trying to get this new stadium built on the Rec, allegedly for £80M most of which is coming out of the owners pocket. The chances of getting a 'return' on that must be somewhere between a pint and nil.
comical comments about the scrum given the sheer dominance Leinster clearly had. Healy is one of the top LHs in the world for a reason. In terms of how Leinster would do missing one of their second rows?... pretty good I'm guessing, given Fardy wasn't even in the match day squad for either game. The depth in our squad is truly frightening and will only improve due to the younger lads being constantly exposed to big matches, such as the one this weekend against Connacht.

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5287
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 29
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 21 Dec 2018, 10:24 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Recwatcher16 wrote:Enjoyable few days seeing some old friends in D4 and we decided to use our tickets for the game despite the foul weather, it was a pretty bitter wind by the end.

Bath made brave noises but missing both flyhalfs, two no8's and two full backs made a difficult task that much more tricky. Most Bath fans would also argue centres Roberts and Willison are only stop gaps for the missing Clark and Joseph and the midfield defence was disappointing. Wilson at FH did ok but ultimately was not up to standard and was reflected in the territory and possession stats.

Another french referee who was inconsistent but not much either side can do on that one. Leinster played at pace and in the conditions with some skill, which made the breakdown and forward passes more of a lottery and the Frenchman just waved it all on. The irish front row played more of a sharp game at the scrums, Healy dropping his outside shoulder as usual and got some profit from it, being at home.

It would be interesting to see how Leinster would operate with either of their second rows missing but presumably they and others will all be put back in bubble wrap until the next 'big' game and together with their test experience in familiar combinations makes a potent formula for a Union owned trials side.

I don't see Lancaster coming to Bath anytime soon but would also not be surprised if at the end of the season he moves on. Bath are going to be massively distracted in the next few years trying to get this new stadium built on the Rec, allegedly for £80M most of which is coming out of the owners pocket. The chances of getting a 'return' on that must be somewhere between a pint and nil.
comical comments about the scrum given the sheer dominance Leinster clearly had. Healy is one of the top LHs in the world for a reason. In terms of how Leinster would do missing one of their second rows?... pretty good I'm guessing, given Fardy wasn't even in the match day squad for either game. The depth in our squad is truly frightening and will only improve due to the younger lads being constantly exposed to big matches, such as the one this weekend against Connacht.

Ooh, saucer of milk for Mr L4L! Laugh
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by LeinsterFan4life on Fri 21 Dec 2018, 10:27 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Recwatcher16 wrote:Enjoyable few days seeing some old friends in D4 and we decided to use our tickets for the game despite the foul weather, it was a pretty bitter wind by the end.

Bath made brave noises but missing both flyhalfs, two no8's and two full backs made a difficult task that much more tricky. Most Bath fans would also argue centres Roberts and Willison are only stop gaps for the missing Clark and Joseph and the midfield defence was disappointing. Wilson at FH did ok but ultimately was not up to standard and was reflected in the territory and possession stats.

Another french referee who was inconsistent but not much either side can do on that one. Leinster played at pace and in the conditions with some skill, which made the breakdown and forward passes more of a lottery and the Frenchman just waved it all on. The irish front row played more of a sharp game at the scrums, Healy dropping his outside shoulder as usual and got some profit from it, being at home.

It would be interesting to see how Leinster would operate with either of their second rows missing but presumably they and others will all be put back in bubble wrap until the next 'big' game and together with their test experience in familiar combinations makes a potent formula for a Union owned trials side.

I don't see Lancaster coming to Bath anytime soon but would also not be surprised if at the end of the season he moves on. Bath are going to be massively distracted in the next few years trying to get this new stadium built on the Rec, allegedly for £80M most of which is coming out of the owners pocket. The chances of getting a 'return' on that must be somewhere between a pint and nil.
comical comments about the scrum given the sheer dominance Leinster clearly had. Healy is one of the top LHs in the world for a reason. In terms of how Leinster would do missing one of their second rows?... pretty good I'm guessing, given Fardy wasn't even in the match day squad for either game. The depth in our squad is truly frightening and will only improve due to the younger lads being constantly exposed to big matches, such as the one this weekend against Connacht.

Ooh, saucer of milk for Mr L4L!  Laugh
?

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5287
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 29
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 21 Dec 2018, 10:34 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Recwatcher16 wrote:Enjoyable few days seeing some old friends in D4 and we decided to use our tickets for the game despite the foul weather, it was a pretty bitter wind by the end.

Bath made brave noises but missing both flyhalfs, two no8's and two full backs made a difficult task that much more tricky. Most Bath fans would also argue centres Roberts and Willison are only stop gaps for the missing Clark and Joseph and the midfield defence was disappointing. Wilson at FH did ok but ultimately was not up to standard and was reflected in the territory and possession stats.

Another french referee who was inconsistent but not much either side can do on that one. Leinster played at pace and in the conditions with some skill, which made the breakdown and forward passes more of a lottery and the Frenchman just waved it all on. The irish front row played more of a sharp game at the scrums, Healy dropping his outside shoulder as usual and got some profit from it, being at home.

It would be interesting to see how Leinster would operate with either of their second rows missing but presumably they and others will all be put back in bubble wrap until the next 'big' game and together with their test experience in familiar combinations makes a potent formula for a Union owned trials side.

I don't see Lancaster coming to Bath anytime soon but would also not be surprised if at the end of the season he moves on. Bath are going to be massively distracted in the next few years trying to get this new stadium built on the Rec, allegedly for £80M most of which is coming out of the owners pocket. The chances of getting a 'return' on that must be somewhere between a pint and nil.
comical comments about the scrum given the sheer dominance Leinster clearly had. Healy is one of the top LHs in the world for a reason. In terms of how Leinster would do missing one of their second rows?... pretty good I'm guessing, given Fardy wasn't even in the match day squad for either game. The depth in our squad is truly frightening and will only improve due to the younger lads being constantly exposed to big matches, such as the one this weekend against Connacht.

Ooh, saucer of milk for Mr L4L!  Laugh
?

Never mind. Maybe I misinterpreted your use of "big match" against Rec's use of 'big game".
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 21 Dec 2018, 11:12 pm

In other news, I see that centre, Tom Daly, has been loaned out to Connacht for the rest of the season. He's just back from injury and had a couple of games recently.

Presumably Cullen figures that even with Henshaw still out that they can manage with Reid, O'Loughlin and Ringrose with Tomane at a pinch.

Connacht have 5 centres now as well as Kieran Joyce from their academy but both Griffin and Robb are likely out until end of January and Aki's time will get managed more this season.

Maybe Daly might stay out West and possibly Ireland midfield prospect, Tom Farrell, be switched somewhere else? Farrell did come through the Leinster academy and initially went to UK before landing out in Galway, and he was selected for the U20s team in 2013. Schmidt invited him into training camps for November series. He partners well with Aki though and the two are their best midfield combo.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sat 22 Dec 2018, 8:28 pm

Leinster getting a lesson in how to play rugby from Connacht so far. 19-7 to the men in green and their three tries were crackers.

Butler, Dillane, & Thornbury ruling the lineout with at least 3-4 steals. Backs are running riot with Tom Farrell and Daragh Leader shining very well.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sat 22 Dec 2018, 9:22 pm

Flipping eck.  This game is a cracker in the second half.

Try bonus points for both teams, Connacht ahead by three.

26-29. Five minutes left.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sat 22 Dec 2018, 9:31 pm

Well stripe me pink.  Leinster do 41 phases and get the fifth try 2 mins after the clock goes red.  

What a game.  Big commiserations Connacht - yiz didn’t deserve to lose that.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1076591595145834496?s=20


Last edited by Pot Hale on Sun 23 Dec 2018, 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by The Great Aukster on Sat 22 Dec 2018, 10:14 pm

Tough on Connacht, they're playing a great brand but don't have the depth to stay with a team like Leinster in the last quarter. Ulster are big underdogs next Friday.

It's ironic that it is now Leinster's forwards who are carrying the team - Franno must be frustrated he doesn't get to print "Ladyboys" much these days.
Still Munster have a chance next Saturday if Murray is allowed to pull the strings.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5179
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Collapse2005 on Sat 22 Dec 2018, 10:42 pm

Munster have been the ladyboys of Irish rugby for about 10 years now.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4805
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Brendan on Sat 22 Dec 2018, 11:06 pm

Well played both teams. Two best defences in the league so 9 tries a big surprise. Connacht in with a real shout of the playoffs and champions cup

Brendan

Posts : 2760
Join date : 2012-04-08
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 28 Dec 2018, 9:08 pm

Cullen is going to Limerick with pretty much a full deck with Devin Toner and Rob Kearney the most notable available absentees:

15. Jordan Larmour (30)
14. Dave Kearney (128)
13. Garry Ringrose (57)
12. Rory O’Loughlin (51)
11. James Lowe (22)
10. Johnny Sexton (155) CAPTAIN
9. Luke McGrath (104)
1. Cian Healy (199)
2. James Tracy (79)
3. Tadhg Furlong (93)
4. Scott Fardy (32)
5. James Ryan (23)
6. Rhys Ruddock (152)
7. Josh van der Flier (68)
8. Jack Conan (82)

16. Bryan Byrne (33)
17. Peter Dooley (55)
18. Michael Bent (113)
19. Ross Molony (74)
20. Max Deegan (30)
21. Hugh O’Sullivan (4)
22. Ciarán Frawley (7)
23. Noel Reid (109)

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Geen sport voor watjes on Sat 29 Dec 2018, 8:40 pm

Well that was weird. Leinster came looking for a fight and seemed surprised when Munster didn’t. Lost the plot in the first half completely. Still Munster were still crap. At least the ladyboys in the old days could play rugby. Munster keep looking like a team that is surprised a ball is involved in the game

Geen sport voor watjes

Posts : 670
Join date : 2015-11-13

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Brendan on Sat 29 Dec 2018, 8:59 pm

Just watching the second half on TG4. Seems McGrath had a poor match. Doesn't seems as good when the pack is struggling which is something that Cooney and Marmion deal with regularly Had similar problems in Toulouse if memory serves me right.

Brendan

Posts : 2760
Join date : 2012-04-08
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by LondonTiger on Sun 30 Dec 2018, 9:50 am

A video doing the rounds that seems to show Sexton stamping on Carberry's crown jewels. Reading the Irish press seems like Leinster were perhaps over-fired up, with Sexton involved in a number of unsavoury incidents.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 22539
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sun 30 Dec 2018, 10:20 am

It wouldn’t surprise me. Munster started aggressively and hit hard, sometimes borderline. Leinster couldn’t handle it and senior players like Sexton didn’t react or respond well. Lowe’s spatial awareness seems to catch him out still on aerial balls - bloke didn’t know where he was when running into Conway - dumb. Still Leinster made a game of it until Earls’ intercept towards the end.

The Ulster derby should be interesting next weekend.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sat 05 Jan 2019, 12:05 am

Cullen has named a fairly callow side to play Ulster at a sold-out RDS on Saturday. Looking forward to being at this:

15. Rob Kearney (203) CAPTAIN
14. Adam Byrne (45)
13. Conor O’Brien (9)
12. Noel Reid (110)
11. Barry Daly (28)
10. Ciarán Frawley (8)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (62)
1. Jack McGrath (137)
2. Seán Cronin (163)
3. Andrew Porter (42)
4. Ross Molony (75)
5. Mick Kearney (43)
6. Josh Murphy (14)
7. Scott Penny (2)
8. Max Deegan (31)

16. James Tracy (80)
17. Ed Byrne (33)
18. Michael Bent (114)
19. Oisín Dowling (0)
20. Caelan Doris (7)
21. Hugh O’Sullivan (5)
22. Ross Byrne (60)
23. Jimmy O’Brien (2)
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sun 20 Jan 2019, 2:48 pm

Leinster play Wasps to try and top the pool.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (32). 14. Adam Byrne (47) 13. Garry Ringrose (59) 12. Robbie Henshaw (31) 11. Dave Kearney (129) 10. Ross Byrne (61) 9. Jamison Gibson-Park (64)
1. Jack McGrath (138) 2. Seán Cronin (165) 3. Tadhg Furlong (95)
4. Devin Toner (226) 5. James Ryan (25)
6. Rhys Ruddock (154) CAPTAIN 7. Josh van der Flier (70) 8. Jack Conan (84)

16. James Tracy (82) 17. Cian Healy (201) 18. Andrew Porter (44) 19. Scott Fardy (34) 20. Seán O’Brien (121) 21. Hugh O’Sullvan (6) 22. Noel Reid (112) 23. Rory O’Loughlin (53)

Henshaw and Ringrose back in partnership for the first time in a while with the Athlone-man recovered from injury. Ross Byrne gets an opportunity to make sure Schmidt doesn’t forget about him for the 6N. Hugh O’Sullivan gets another run-out from the academy to back-up Gibson-Park with McGrath out injured.

Will Wasps manage to deliver the same kind of die-hard performance as the other already-out English teams managed this weekend?


Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sun 20 Jan 2019, 4:25 pm

20-0 at halftime. Leinster so-so. Wasps look like bumblebees.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sun 20 Jan 2019, 4:32 pm

Wasps have woken up a bit at start of second half.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Geen sport voor watjes on Sun 20 Jan 2019, 6:11 pm

It was only a temporary wake up from hibernation

Geen sport voor watjes

Posts : 670
Join date : 2015-11-13

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Sun 20 Jan 2019, 6:26 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:It was only a temporary wake up from hibernation

Indeed - bit of a doze match.

Looked like Ringrose took a knock.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by SecretFly on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 12:37 pm

I'd say Schmidt had a hand in tactics of both games (Munster/Leinster)

Oh NO! you conspiracy theorist eejit, FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never would that happen! Integrity of Provinces would never allow him to make sly phone calls to players!

Munster seemed to take so much pressure willingly onto themselves with the proverbial long kicks from Murray right into the hands of a team wanting to attack with width. Where have we often seen seemingly dumb tactics like that before? A good blow out for furious defending strategies/preps. Munster's Ireland selection will have benefited from the intensity of the game.

Leinster it seems too tried to win without showing Jones much.

Nice practice games Joe Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 31282
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Tue 22 Jan 2019, 8:49 pm

Looking at the current squad, I was checking to see which players might have their contracts up for renewal at end of season and ages at end of season.  From what I can find on media, the following have had or are due an announcement of some sort:

Nick McCarthy (24) - already announced move to Munster with Hugh O’Sullivan already featuring in PRO14 and Euro squads.

Michael Bent (33) - If Abdaladze is to get more game time at TH behind Furlong and Porter next season, then Bent may be moved on, although it would leave Leinster fairly raw come test time, so he’s possibly safe for one more season.

Max Deegan (22) - Doris coming up behind him, getting game time at 8 is a problem - will he want to move though?

Noel Reid (28) - he’s getting some game time at 10/12 but if Frawley and Conor O’Brien are being brought through and being used at 10/12/15 then he may be viewed surplus.  There was talk of him moving to Leicester but it’s been dropped.  A move north perhaps?

Fergus McFadden (33) - plays wing and centre - and with Cian Kelleher heading back down the M6 for next season, and Hugo Keenan in his final academy year, McFadden may also be on the way out.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by SecretFly on Tue 22 Jan 2019, 11:20 pm

I always feel sad for Bent.  Don't know why.  Always looks like a man who maybe made a mistake coming here (hoping for International) and then quickly enough dropping to 2nd team life at Leinster.  I hope he's having a ball with life but that face of his.... always looks like a sad guy to me Sad

McFadden - lowest centre of gravity on the planet - surely someone will want that quality and put a good price up for his services.

SecretFly

Posts : 31282
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by rodders on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 9:40 am

SecretFly wrote:I always feel sad for Bent.  Don't know why.  Always looks like a man who maybe made a mistake coming here (hoping for International) and then quickly enough dropping to 2nd team life at Leinster.  I hope he's having a ball with life but that face of his.... always looks like a sad guy to me Sad

McFadden - lowest centre of gravity on the planet - surely someone will want that quality and put a good price up for his services.

That reminds me, I remember seeing Bent after a game against Ulster a few years back walking around Ravenhill lost trying to find the team bus as his teammates had all headed on - I think it may have been his first game for Leinster.

He's had the same facial expression ever since.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25384
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by SecretFly on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 10:01 am

He walked home that night.  I remember it.  Passed through my town at 2.30am.  I offered to give him a lift but he declined.  


SecretFly

Posts : 31282
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by rodders on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 10:14 am

Sad
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25384
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by the-goon on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 11:15 am

Where did this McFadden low centre of gravity thing come from?

the-goon

Posts : 795
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Collapse2005 on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 11:31 am

the-goon wrote:Where did this McFadden low centre of gravity thing come from?

Probably because he isn't very tall, more broad than tall.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4805
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 24 Jan 2019, 12:40 am

SecretFly wrote:He walked home that night.  I remember it.  Passed through my town at 2.30am.  I offered to give him a lift but he declined.  


I was surprised to learn that part of the reason that Bent moved here so quickly is because he has family in Dublin - his sister had moved a few years before him. And his brother has moved here now too.

He’s very popular with the Leinster lads and up for quite a good laugh.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by SecretFly on Thu 24 Jan 2019, 9:14 am

Genuinely glad to hear it, Pot.  So it's just he has a sombre face in neutral?  That's okay.  OK

Rob Kearney just has a manly Scowl in neutral.... ain't he the lucky one!............. "Grrrr....hello Ladies"

SecretFly

Posts : 31282
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 24 Jan 2019, 6:52 pm

Cullen has selected Bent as one of the grandads and to give a few more of the kids some game time tomorrow at the RDS:

LEINSTER (v Scarlets): Rob Kearney (capt); Barry Daly, Rory O'Loughlin, Conor O'Brien, James Lowe; Ciaran Frawley, Hugh O'Sullivan; Jack McGrath, James Tracy, Michael Bent, Ross Molony, Mick Kearney, Max Deegan, Scott Penny, Caelan Doris.

Replacements: Bryan Byrne, Ed Byrne, Vakh Abdaladze, Jack Dunne, Oisin Dowling, Jamison Gibson-Park, Noel Reid, Jimmy O'Brien.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by carpet baboon on Thu 24 Jan 2019, 9:07 pm

Where in the name of f**k are Leinster growing these back rowers?
Just as you think Doris and deegan are the new kids, penny rocks up looking like he's been playing this level his whole life.

(Yes it is a bit hyperbolic but has any team churned out this many quality backrowers in such a short time?)

Also I would love be to see how much money is being spent on Leinster schools rugby

carpet baboon

Posts : 2477
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 24 Jan 2019, 11:41 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Where in the name of f**k are Leinster growing these back rowers?
Just as you think Doris and deegan are the new kids, penny rocks up looking like he's been playing this level his whole life.

(Yes it is a bit hyperbolic but has any team churned out this many quality backrowers in such a short time?)

Also I would love be to see how much money is being spent on Leinster schools rugby

Too true - I have a nephew who’s planning/hoping to be one of the next ones - done ok at Leinster U18s - and aiming for academy next. The regime they need to follow is tough - you need a lot of perseverance.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 6697
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 37
Location : Shuffling

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Geen sport voor watjes on Fri 25 Jan 2019, 8:22 pm

Don’t you just love watching bobert trying to tackle. The under 12s would be better

Geen sport voor watjes

Posts : 670
Join date : 2015-11-13

Back to top Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum