Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 10:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Leinster fans - we're a fickle bunch.

As soon as the club gets any kind of success, the fans all disappear from here being far too busy scouring the shops for the new 'four-star' top and associated scarf, hat, rain-jacket (light weather), heavy parka (for visiting Limerick in winter), alternate dayglo away strip with fur-lined collar (for out West), and up to date badges and paraphernalia for the beemer, car-seat, and nappy-bag 3-in-1 holdall/pram/kiddy thingy.

Despite that, Leo and his merry men, have been busy sizing up the latest batch of academy starlets with a number of them being signed on Development contracts to the senior squad.  The departures last season of a few old hands through injury/retirement was accompanied by two high-profile transfers and a number of academy/development players who didn't make the grade moving on or being released:

Departed
Jordi Murphy to Ulster and Joey Carbery to Munster
Jamie Heaslip, Isa Nacewa and Richardt Strauss retired
Oisin Heffernan to Nottingham
Cathal Marsh and Peadar Timmins released

Incoming
Isa Nacewa's dressing-room seat was still warm when newcomer, Australian international, Joe Tomane, was announced as the new Non-Irish Eligible player for the squad.  He's played with Montpelier for the last couple of seasons, and will look to tie down a regular starting slot at wing or centre during the season.  He's of Samoan/Cook Island descent so won't be included in the "two foreign player" limits in the PRO14 and Heineken Cup.

Promoted from Academy: Jordan Larmour (fullback), Vakh Abdaladze (prop), Caelan Doris (No 8), Josh Murphy and Will Connors (flankers)
Joe Tomane from Montpellier - wing/centre.

Squad and Coaching
That makes a 44-strong senior squad and a further 19 players in the Academy including 8 new players starting their first year.

Unlike the other provinces, Leinster now don't have any SA-born players in their squad with just 2 NIE players - Fardy/Tomane (Aus) and 2 NIQ players Gibson-Park/Lowe (NZ) in their ranks.  Vakh Abdaladze, born in Georgia, moved to Ireland at age 5/6, and encouraged by his father, a former No.8 for Georgia, switched from soccer to rugby, and from centre to loosehead prop, and finally to tighthead.  He made it onto the Ireland U20s squad for the World Cup and was part of the team that beat New Zealand before losing to England in the final alongside Ryan, Porter and Stockdale.

On the coaching front, Leo and Stuart still head the bill, with former Leinster No 10 and highly popular Argentina test player/captain, Felipe Contemponi, replacing the departed Girvan Dempsey as Backs Coach.

Upcoming Fixtures
Leinster play Montauban in France and Newcastle at Energia Park in Donnybrook for their pre-season games, before kicking off their PRO14 Championship title defence with a cross-conference game against Cardiff at the Arms Park on August 31.   They stay in Wales to meet Conference B rivals, Scarlets, in Llanelli, the following week.  Their first home game is against Dragons at the RDS on 15 Sept.  They've only one away game in SA this season, against Kings on Sunday, 4 November.  

The first interpro derby is in Galway against Connacht on 29 Sept, followed a week later by the annual Leinster/Munster knees-up at Lansdowne Road on 6 October - good prep for the first two rounds of the Heineken Cup (it's back!) against Pool One rivals Wasps, or Toulouse or Bath during October.

Developments
Coaching has been a big part of summer activities at the club with the usual summer camps being held for kids of all ages sold out around the province and a particular target being met of developing coaches - men and women's - across the 12 counties in the province.  

In the background, planning permission extension is still underway for the planned demolition and redevelopment of the Anglesea Stand next season which will add another 4,000 approx to the RDS Arena for hosting the various public events (including de rugby) during the year.    It's not known at this stage what that's going to mean for ticket prices, particularly for ST holders in Anglesea Stand, but it's likely there'll be some news on the stadium development towards the back-end of the season in 2019.

With a large number of the senior squad on restricted player management, Leinster are going to find their first few matches tough, particularly away in Wales in rounds 1 & 2.   Looking forward to seeing how they get on.

The Academy squad who normally feature in the British & Irish Cup will now be playing in the new U23 comp set up between IRFU and WRU and some will continue to play for Ireland Sevens squad during the season.

Leinster Senior Squad 2018/19 - 44 players

Hookers: Bryan Byrne, Sean Cronin, James Tracy
Props: Vakh Abdaladze, Michael Bent, Ed Byrne, Peter Dooley, Tadgh Furlong, Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Andrew Porter
Locks: Scott Fardy, Mick Kearney, Ross Molony, Ian Nagle, James Ryan, Devin Toner,
Flankers: Will Connors, Dan Leavy, Josh Murphy, Seán O'Brien, Rhys Ruddock, Josh van der Flier,
Number 8s: Jack Conan, Max Deegan, Caelan Doris
No 9s: Jamison Gibson-Park, Nick McCarthy, Luke McGrath
Out-halves: Ross Byrne, Jonathan Sexton
Midfielders: Tom Daly, Robbie Henshaw, Rory O'Loughlin, Noel Reid, Garry Ringrose
Wings: Adam Byrne, Barry Daly, Dave Kearney, James Lowe, Fergus McFadden, Joe Tomane
Full-backs: Rob Kearney, Jordan Larmour.

Leinster Academy Squad for Hiberno-Welsh U23 Competition and Ireland 7s. - 19 players

Hooker: Ronan Kelleher (year 2) Hooker
Props: Jack Aungier (year 2), Michael Milne (year 1)
Locks: Ryan Baird (year 1), Oisin Dowling (year 2), Jack Dunne (year 1)
Flanker: Scott Penney (year 1)
Scrum-half: Hugh O'Sullivan (year 2), Patrick Patterson (year 1),
Fly-half: Harry Byrne (year 1)
Midfield: Ciaran Frawley (year 2), Gavin Mullin (year 2), Conor O'Brien (year 3), Jimmy O'Brien (year 3), Tommy O'Brien (year 2)
Wings: Hugo Keenan (year 3), Jack Kelly (year 3), Aaron O'Sullivan* (year 1)
Full-back: Michael Silvester (year 1)

Last edited by Pot Hale on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Re: Leinster Branch Rugby - 2018/19

Post by carpet baboon on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 8:33 am

The Welsh don't boo the ref, no no no
They just spend their time discussing massive conspiracy theories that show how everyone is in the pocket of the IRFU and it's so so so unfair how everyone is out to get them.
But boo the ref? Never

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 7:22 pm

^^^^ oh dear what a child.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 1:51 pm

Come on let's rewind, smile and start this whole season again. Everyone leave their boos at the gate and buy the kisses and hugs emoticons at the bars.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 2:39 pm

Good call.

Most of the remaining Ireland players will be in the squad for this weekend’s game. Only name I’m not sure about is Garry Ringrose. Is he injured?
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:38 pm

SecretFly wrote:Come on let's rewind, smile and start this whole season again.  Everyone leave their boos at the gate and buy the kisses and hugs emoticons at the bars.

Screw that, I'm not paying RDS prices for my hugs and kisses.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 5:12 pm

SecretFly wrote:Come on let's rewind, smile and start this whole season again.  Everyone leave their boos at the gate and buy the kisses and hugs emoticons at the bars.

Let's discuss Leinster's ridiculous depth... so good that they give their players to the other provincial teams.

Who's Leinster's best back-row if all are injury free?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 9:23 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Let's discuss Leinster's ridiculous depth... so good that they give their players to the other provincial teams.

Superman, Batman and the Hulk

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:49 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

It's funny how the publicity around that goes sometimes.  

The first media word on Joey Carbery was that he was kicking and screaming, resisting ALL attempts to coax him out of Leinster.  "I don't give a f**k if Johnny is in front of me and I only get bits of games here and there.  I love me Province, it's shiny and it wins lots of things and I like the expensive food in D4, so I'm staying!!!"
The second media swing at it was that the pressure police weren't listening to Joey and that they wanted him to go rustic somewhere.... maybe Ulster (less rustic) and maybe Munster (spuds, cabbage and cows)  City boy Joey it was said was still panicking...."Cows???  Without muzzles????  They'll kill me.  Don't you get rabies from angry cows or something??"
Then all of a sudden, the media confided that Joey wanted the hell out of Leinster.  It was holding him back.  He was better than Loop moves.  He was sexy and had snake like skills so his natural home was probably Munster all along.
Most recent shout from the media in big letters was the declaration that Joey stated he will never go back to Leinster.  The love affair was over completely.  And I thought that was quick to be so final about it and probably he deserved a court martial for treason!
So I looked up the interview where he callously said Leinster was no longer in his heart.  And I read him saying (I paraphrase) "I don't want to be jumping around from Province to Province so I'm going to stick with Munster for now"

The Media............. no wonder Trump calls them fake.  Oh and Joey missed an execution squad by a whisker.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 8:01 pm

Carbery with his first start for Munster goes over for his first try and converts.

Always knew there was something dodgy about that bloke....
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 12:51 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

Not that it needs reminding but about 10 years ago it was in the other direction. That and a few decent foreigners cos the ladyboys couldn’t find a pair between the whole privately ( with govt intervention) educated bunch of langers ever.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 6:26 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Not that it needs reminding but about 10 years ago it was in the other direction. That and a few decent foreigners cos the ladyboys couldn’t find a pair between the whole privately ( with govt intervention) educated bunch of langers ever.

Whereas the Munster langers were all scraped off the end of a stick out the back of Madam Maisie’s, I presume?
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 12:31 am

Ah well it was always amusing to think that the myth perpetrated by the good burghers of limerick about rugby bring the ordinary mans game. As if the mothers out the Ennis road would think their little darlings in st munchins were ordinary working class joes. Another cowpat story.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 2:17 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:Ah well it was always amusing to think that the myth perpetrated by the good burghers of limerick about rugby bring the ordinary mans game. As if the mothers out the Ennis road would think their little darlings in st munchins were ordinary working class joes. Another cowpat story.

True enough. Btw, have you heard any more on Conor Murray’s “injury”?
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 3:42 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
St John The Enforcer wrote:Give it but can't take it eh? Never a good sign.

If you come trolling on another team's thread you should be thicker skinned.

"The French" don't play in this league. and of "The Irish" that do I'd say Ulster are the worst for booing the ref.

I wasn’t trolling, I commented about an observation I made. Only the Irish in this league carry themselves with this attitude. I agree that it’s ulster, and if they’re the worst of the Irish then they’re the worst in the league. I wouldn’t mind if we had a regular home crowd as big and as vocal, so long as they kept it within reason (refraining from racism, homophobic chants, etc). I also doubt they’d be in denial like you.
Not sure what I am supposed to be in denial about? I have denied absolutely nothing. I just thought it was funny that a Dragons fan would think the ref could not be influenced by the fans booing every decision.

I never said that it was a good or a bad thing.

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 6:11 pm

St John The Enforcer wrote:
Not sure what I am supposed to be in denial about? I have denied absolutely nothing. I just thought it was funny that a Dragons fan would think the ref could not be influenced by the fans booing every decision.
[/quote]

BS. Is it really worth my time if you're struggling with comprehension, or are you going to get someone to help you out?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 8:54 pm

If it's not worth your time then why bother with the big girl's blouse passive aggressive reply then?

If I have misunderstood your original post as trolling (which i remain unconvinced of) then you have obviously misunderstood mine as denying something. Love to know what you think I'm denying as I could then either agree with you or call bs

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 9:53 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Geen sport voor watjes wrote:Ah well it was always amusing to think that the myth perpetrated by the good burghers of limerick about rugby bring the ordinary mans game. As if the mothers out the Ennis road would think their little darlings in st munchins were ordinary working class joes. Another cowpat story.

True enough.  Btw, have you heard any more on Conor Murray’s “injury”?

Eh no actually. Lots of speculation apparently it’s a neck issue ( whatever that means). Sin e might have more info. It’s all a bit strange and while I have heard rumours it would be pure speculation at this stage.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 2:00 am

St John The Enforcer wrote:If it's not worth your time then why bother with the big girl's blouse passive aggressive reply then?

If I have misunderstood your original post as trolling (which i remain unconvinced of) then you have obviously misunderstood mine as denying something. Love to know what you think I'm denying as I could then either agree with you or call bs

Just heed the response and get someone to help you out then as you did misunderstand it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland Yesterday at 8:45 am

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Yesterday at 12:18 pm

Come on let's rewind, smile and start this whole season again. Everyone leave their boos at the gate...yada, yada, yada....

I think it's going to be a Lonnnnnggg year.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum