Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by Brendan on Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:38 am

First topic message reminder :

With the Super final on this weekend and all the talk of how the Crusaders are going to win at home.   Add in all the hype last year about how unfair it was the Lions got a home Final.

So what are people's views on having a predetermined venue.  They do it in Soccer in the Champions league were a team if they get there could play in their own stadium (which I think happened).

Positives
We have outgrown the 18k Stadiums for finals so few home grounds can cover crowd
Neutral venue so more equal chance.
Everyone knows the venue of the final is so can arrange flights/accomadation etc well in advance
Helps to advertise and Hype the Final

Negatives
May end up in a team's home city giving them an advantage
Topping the league should give you a good reward
Criteria for picking venues may seem unfair.

So are you in favour of pre-chosen final venue or would you rather go back to top team gets home Final.
What are some things the Pro14 can do to improve the event.  My suggestion is we have an all stars game between a select 23 from both Conferences.  Each team not in the final has 3 players guaranteed and is managed by the coach who gets the most votes from that conference who didn't make the Play-offs.  It would be a BaaBaas type game with lots of entertainment and means fans get to see some of their players even if the team didn't make it.


Last edited by Brendan on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:11 am; edited 2 times in total

Brendan

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-04-09
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down


Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:53 am

LondonTiger wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Lads. Do I need to get the hose and the big net? Or can we tone down the animosity to 10?

Nope, this thread goes all the way to 11.

You'll find the insults are only being handed out in one particular direction by the way.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by marty2086 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:54 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Really? Then you can show where the WRU or PS have stated this?

The WRU  have never released a press statement on it - why would they?

BBC Sport understands the Principality Stadium pitch will have been taken up before the final, in preparation for hosting music events in the summer.

From BBC Sport.

The other events scheduled for May June constantly impinge upon the logistics of hosting a pro14 final Marty. They pulled out all the stops for the Champions League final though, due to it's prestige.

You can carry on thinking that it isn't hosted in Wales because of whatever bizarre reason you want.

Well you said it's accurate, so you are now saying the Principality bid for the final last year?

No, they did not bid for the final as far as I'm aware. There were reports they were "keen", but it sounded like a half arsed attempt to pay lip service to the process, as they are never going to be in a position to host the final if they have other priorities which make more money.


So when BBC say it was considered, the league were bending the rules for the Welsh?

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by LondonTiger on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:57 am

That the WRU do not wish to bid for the Pro14 final should have no relevance as to whether it is held at a neutral venue.

For the final to become a real occasion it must be held at large(ish) neutral venues but also marketed as an event for all Pro14 fans. Get people going because it is the final and a spectacle rather than just because it is your team and teh league is on to a winner. Keep local parochialism and everyone loses out ultimately.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18414
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:58 am

marty2086 wrote:

So when BBC say it was considered, the league were bending the rules for the Welsh?

I took it to mean the Pro14 asked the WRU if they had considered putting in a bid, and the WRU said "Erm, yeah, sure we'd erm, possibly be interested if we have nothing on...............on no wait we've got loads on sorry".

Interestingly, the WRU then organised more Monster Jam for May 2019. (according to Monster Jam)

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by LondonTiger on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:58 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Lads. Do I need to get the hose and the big net? Or can we tone down the animosity to 10?

Nope, this thread goes all the way to 11.

You'll find the insults are only being handed out in one particular direction by the way.

I cannot comment as I filter out the bickering. This thread stopped being a discussion on whether neutral venues are correct a long time ago though - so pretty easy to filter it out Very Happy

LondonTiger

Posts : 18414
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:00 am

LondonTiger wrote:That the WRU do not wish to bid for the Pro14 final should have no relevance as to whether it is held at a neutral venue.

For the final to become a real occasion it must be held at large(ish) neutral venues but also marketed as an event for all Pro14 fans. Get people going because it is the final and a spectacle rather than just because it is your team and teh league is on to a winner. Keep local parochialism and everyone loses out ultimately.

That'd ideal. But as Marty helpfully pointed out, Murrayfield was only half full for the 2016 final.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by BamBam on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:02 am

So because Murrayfield was only half full 2 years ago, the league should give Rodney Parade the final

Right

BamBam

Posts : 14435
Join date : 2011-03-18
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:02 am

BamBam wrote:So because Murrayfield was only half full 2 years ago, the league should give Rodney Parade the final

Right

Yup. That is 100% exactly what I said.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:03 am

BamBam wrote:
If the country that has won nearly 40% of Celtic League titles wasn't so used to handouts and allowances, maybe they'd be capable of holding a final on their own merit

What handouts? And why would the cessation of such handouts have a bearing on hosting a rugby final?

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by marty2086 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:07 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

So when BBC say it was considered, the league were bending the rules for the Welsh?

I took it to mean the Pro14 asked the WRU if they had considered putting in a bid, and the WRU said "Erm, yeah, sure we'd erm, possibly be interested if we have nothing on...............on no wait we've got loads on sorry".

Interestingly, the WRU then organised more Monster Jam for May 2019. (according to Monster Jam)

Yeah they had a concert on 4 WEEKS after the event, what a burden

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:09 am

marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

So when BBC say it was considered, the league were bending the rules for the Welsh?

I took it to mean the Pro14 asked the WRU if they had considered putting in a bid, and the WRU said "Erm, yeah, sure we'd erm, possibly be interested if we have nothing on...............on no wait we've got loads on sorry".

Interestingly, the WRU then organised more Monster Jam for May 2019. (according to Monster Jam)

Yeah they had a concert on 4 WEEKS after the event, what a burden

How bizarre. There must be some other reason they are not bidding then. I wonder what it is?

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by The Oracle on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 am

I see ‘the Irish’, ‘the Welsh’ and ‘the English’ are ALL at it again Sad
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by The Oracle on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 am

How come Marty hasn’t been banned? He told someone to f*** off earlier. I’ve had two bans for far less!
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by LondonTiger on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:That the WRU do not wish to bid for the Pro14 final should have no relevance as to whether it is held at a neutral venue.

For the final to become a real occasion it must be held at large(ish) neutral venues but also marketed as an event for all Pro14 fans. Get people going because it is the final and a spectacle rather than just because it is your team and teh league is on to a winner. Keep local parochialism and everyone loses out ultimately.

That'd ideal. But as Marty helpfully pointed out, Murrayfield was only half full for the 2016 final.

Which to be fair shows that there is work to be done on marketing the event. Yet if you do not start you will never move forward. Even half full 35k is a decent attendance to build on. They have given themselves an additional 5 weeks of marketing this year (v 2016) and hopefully Celtic Park will pull in more fans than the Aviva has in the last two seasons. The key to that though is marketing it all fans so only a small number of tickets have to be sold once the finalists are known.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18414
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:16 am

LondonTiger wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:That the WRU do not wish to bid for the Pro14 final should have no relevance as to whether it is held at a neutral venue.

For the final to become a real occasion it must be held at large(ish) neutral venues but also marketed as an event for all Pro14 fans. Get people going because it is the final and a spectacle rather than just because it is your team and teh league is on to a winner. Keep local parochialism and everyone loses out ultimately.

That'd ideal. But as Marty helpfully pointed out, Murrayfield was only half full for the 2016 final.

Which to be fair shows that there is work to be done on marketing the event. Yet if you do not start you will never move forward. Even half full 35k is a decent attendance to build on. They have given themselves an additional 5 weeks of marketing this year (v 2016) and hopefully Celtic Park will pull in more fans than the Aviva has in the last two seasons. The key to that though is marketing it all fans so only a small number of tickets have to be sold once the finalists are known.

I honestly don't think that the reason it was half full was because of "marketing". If Glasgow or Edinburgh had been one of the finalists it would have got more. Even Munster.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by marty2086 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

So when BBC say it was considered, the league were bending the rules for the Welsh?

I took it to mean the Pro14 asked the WRU if they had considered putting in a bid, and the WRU said "Erm, yeah, sure we'd erm, possibly be interested if we have nothing on...............on no wait we've got loads on sorry".

Interestingly, the WRU then organised more Monster Jam for May 2019. (according to Monster Jam)

Yeah they had a concert on 4 WEEKS after the event, what a burden

How bizarre. There must be some other reason they are not bidding then. I wonder what it is?

Yes, the Regions refuse to as a stand against the system

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by marty2086 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 am

The Oracle wrote:How come Marty hasn’t been banned? He told someone to f*** off earlier. I’ve had two bans for far less!

Maybe you'd also like to point out that RF called my claims libellous which I was responding too?

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by BamBam on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:
If the country that has won nearly 40% of Celtic League titles wasn't so used to handouts and allowances, maybe they'd be capable of holding a final on their own merit

What handouts? And why would the cessation of such handouts have a bearing on hosting a rugby final?

I would go into it, but this isn't a political forum.


BamBam

Posts : 14435
Join date : 2011-03-18
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 am

marty2086 wrote:

Yes, the Regions refuse to as a stand against the system

Once again, can I ask where you have that information from please.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 am

BamBam wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:
If the country that has won nearly 40% of Celtic League titles wasn't so used to handouts and allowances, maybe they'd be capable of holding a final on their own merit

What handouts? And why would the cessation of such handouts have a bearing on hosting a rugby final?

I would go into it, but this isn't a political forum.


I'll take that as a complete wriggle then.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by marty2086 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:22 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Yes, the Regions refuse to as a stand against the system

Once again, can I ask where you have that information from please.

Pretty sure it was the Welsh media who said so over the years

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:24 am

marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Yes, the Regions refuse to as a stand against the system

Once again, can I ask where you have that information from please.

Pretty sure it was the Welsh media who said so over the years

I've never read such claims. I expect none of us will be able to find them either, such is the absolute dishonest, spurious nature of that claim.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by BamBam on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:25 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
BamBam wrote:
If the country that has won nearly 40% of Celtic League titles wasn't so used to handouts and allowances, maybe they'd be capable of holding a final on their own merit

What handouts? And why would the cessation of such handouts have a bearing on hosting a rugby final?

I would go into it, but this isn't a political forum.


I'll take that as a complete wriggle then.

You can take it however you like - but you know exactly what I'm talking about or you wouldn't get so defensive


BamBam

Posts : 14435
Join date : 2011-03-18
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:29 am

BamBam wrote:

You can take it however you like - but you know exactly what I'm talking about or you wouldn't get so defensive


I have zero clue what you are talking about.

You claimed Wales is "so used to handouts and allowances". I honestly don't know if you're on about rugby anymore. If you're not on about rugby, yet you're linking some UK politics to the ability of the Welsh "people" to hold a rugby final, then you're views are bordering on a serious form of bigotry, and I suggest you have some very serious issues

If not, and you're one about rugby, then I apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by marty2086 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:30 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Yes, the Regions refuse to as a stand against the system

Once again, can I ask where you have that information from please.

Pretty sure it was the Welsh media who said so over the years

I've never read such claims. I expect none of us will be able to find them either, such is the absolute dishonest, spurious nature of that claim.

Mods please deal with this crap

marty2086

Posts : 10307
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by The Oracle on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:31 am

While you’re at it, deal with Marty too!
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1432
Join date : 2018-01-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RugbyFan100 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:34 am

marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Yes, the Regions refuse to as a stand against the system

Once again, can I ask where you have that information from please.

Pretty sure it was the Welsh media who said so over the years

I've never read such claims. I expect none of us will be able to find them either, such is the absolute dishonest, spurious nature of that claim.

Mods please deal with this crap

It certainly is a load of crap.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2016-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by RDW_Scotland on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:38 am

I'm going to lock this thread as it has turned into a complete mess and everyone is repeating the same thing - I'll give it a day or two for people to cool down and try and discuss things without resorting to constant bickering.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 24894
Join date : 2011-06-02
Age : 31
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Pro 14 final Neutral venue v home stadium.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum