Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Premier Sports - Are you signing up (already signed up?)

67% 67% 
[ 12 ]
6% 6% 
[ 1 ]
27% 27% 
[ 5 ]
 
Total Votes : 18

Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by clivemcl on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 11:56 am

First topic message reminder :

The channel is available on Sky and Virgin, but not BT.

The alternative is the app or the website to stream.

These two options however don't allow you to record games.

I'll be interested to see if they add every single game to their On Demand library, and how long after the game has aired will the on demand version be available.

Is anyone switching to Sky or Virgin simply for Premier Sports?


Last edited by clivemcl on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

clivemcl

Posts : 4141
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down


Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by Pete330v2 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:30 am

LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

This place does make laugh, it really does. I was lambasted on here for saying people will not be signing up for this new TV deal.

Now I am reading on here how people are not going to bother because £10 a month is a stretch too far, and people wanting to illegally stream.

Only on V2. laughing

This thread alone proves more to me about this place than anything. Very Happy

In fairness I've said from square one that I'll be illegally streaming it but then again I illegally stream most things. I pay the BBC subscription because we're forced to and I pay for a basic sky package because........I don't really know because it's rubbish and I watch everything on Showbox or Netflix. Anyway, that's more than enough money robbed from me on utter tom-kite I don't watch so I'll be avoiding paying for the stuff I actually will watch. It all balances out in the end Wink

Pete330v2

Posts : 3597
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:32 am

munkian wrote:Its a bit crap that people can't be bothered to pay £9.99 a month and looking to illegally stream it already.


The problem with streaming is that you rely on finding a regular, reliable and quality stream. I think most will get it or use another persons log in. Someones already suggested splitting it with someone else given you can get two log ins, with the discounts coming it could be a matter of a few quid a month doing that

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:38 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

This place does make laugh, it really does. I was lambasted on here for saying people will not be signing up for this new TV deal.

Now I am reading on here how people are not going to bother because £10 a month is a stretch too far, and people wanting to illegally stream.

Only on V2. laughing

This thread alone proves more to me about this place than anything. Very Happy

In fairness I've said from square one that I'll be illegally streaming it but then again I illegally stream most things. I pay the BBC subscription because we're forced to and I pay for a basic sky package because........I don't really know because it's rubbish and I watch everything on Showbox or Netflix. Anyway, that's more than enough money robbed from me on utter tom-kite I don't watch so I'll be avoiding paying for the stuff I actually will watch. It all balances out in the end Wink

It just proves my point even more though. This deal is short term gain, for long term pain. This deal has the potential to ruin the Pro14. When even the hardened rugby fans on here are not even willing to pay for it, then how are we going to expect the casual fan who watched it on the beeb to pay for it ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:39 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

This place does make laugh, it really does. I was lambasted on here for saying people will not be signing up for this new TV deal.

Now I am reading on here how people are not going to bother because £10 a month is a stretch too far, and people wanting to illegally stream.

Only on V2. laughing

This thread alone proves more to me about this place than anything. Very Happy

In fairness I've said from square one that I'll be illegally streaming it but then again I illegally stream most things. I pay the BBC subscription because we're forced to and I pay for a basic sky package because........I don't really know because it's rubbish and I watch everything on Showbox or Netflix. Anyway, that's more than enough money robbed from me on utter tom-kite I don't watch so I'll be avoiding paying for the stuff I actually will watch. It all balances out in the end Wink

It just proves my point even more though. This deal is short term gain, for long term pain. This deal has the potential to ruin the Pro14. When even the hardened rugby fans on here are not even willing to pay for it, then how are we going to expect the casual fan who watched it on the beeb to pay for it ?

How exactly will it ruin the Pro14?

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by BamBam on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:43 am

marty2086 wrote:To be fair BamBam I don't think it'll be a problem, the revenue that sport generates through ads on tv these days is always growing. Marketing companies are falling over themselves to get their products on during sport because with Netflix etc there are so few opportunities for them to advertise during tv programmes that have to be watched live. It's why Premier took Pro14, it's why Eleven Sport have got La Liga.

Premier will increase their viewership with Pro 14, they'll be showing Elite League Hockey live too. I can see Premier adding to their portfolio if things go well with Pro 14 but there'll be stiff competition but £10 is a bargain, I would have paid it if I had to but I don't

I agree that sport is the ideal place for advertising at the moment, but again that is completely dependent on viewing figures. Illegal streams don't count in those

The value that Premier will be able to get for their advertising slots falls massively when subscription numbers / viewing figures are low because people are either illegally streaming or sharing accounts (which is also against the terms & conditions of the app I reckon)

I'm not trying to make myself out to be angelic when it comes to streaming, but I do pay for Sky + BT, I just stream the games that aren't shown on TV due to ridiculous laws. I

Until recently, I worked for a media company and now work for a company that is very proactively buying media - advertising slots where people are watching live are where we want to buy, the only way to measure that is through subscription numbers and viewing figures

BamBam

Posts : 14419
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:53 am

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

This place does make laugh, it really does. I was lambasted on here for saying people will not be signing up for this new TV deal.

Now I am reading on here how people are not going to bother because £10 a month is a stretch too far, and people wanting to illegally stream.

Only on V2. laughing

This thread alone proves more to me about this place than anything. Very Happy

In fairness I've said from square one that I'll be illegally streaming it but then again I illegally stream most things. I pay the BBC subscription because we're forced to and I pay for a basic sky package because........I don't really know because it's rubbish and I watch everything on Showbox or Netflix. Anyway, that's more than enough money robbed from me on utter tom-kite I don't watch so I'll be avoiding paying for the stuff I actually will watch. It all balances out in the end Wink

It just proves my point even more though. This deal is short term gain, for long term pain. This deal has the potential to ruin the Pro14. When even the hardened rugby fans on here are not even willing to pay for it, then how are we going to expect the casual fan who watched it on the beeb to pay for it ?

How exactly will it ruin the Pro14?

Because not as many people will be watching it, less exposure. Less appeal to sponsors. We will fall behind all our peers. It could cause the best players to go and get a better deal in England or France.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by Pete330v2 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:10 am

marty2086 wrote:
munkian wrote:Its a bit crap that people can't be bothered to pay £9.99 a month and looking to illegally stream it already.


The problem with streaming is that you rely on finding a regular, reliable and quality stream. I think most will get it or use another persons log in. Someones already suggested splitting it with someone else given you can get two log ins, with the discounts coming it could be a matter of a few quid a month doing that

I thought I was sitting pretty with Mobdro which always has really good streams as long as you use a VPN of some sort. Every sports channel is working perfectly on it at the moment apart from, yes you guessed it, Premier and Eirsport. They were working before so hopefully Mobdro will do an update very soon or it's the rubbish streams for me Sad

Pete330v2

Posts : 3597
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:14 am

BamBam wrote:
marty2086 wrote:To be fair BamBam I don't think it'll be a problem, the revenue that sport generates through ads on tv these days is always growing. Marketing companies are falling over themselves to get their products on during sport because with Netflix etc there are so few opportunities for them to advertise during tv programmes that have to be watched live. It's why Premier took Pro14, it's why Eleven Sport have got La Liga.

Premier will increase their viewership with Pro 14, they'll be showing Elite League Hockey live too. I can see Premier adding to their portfolio if things go well with Pro 14 but there'll be stiff competition but £10 is a bargain, I would have paid it if I had to but I don't

I agree that sport is the ideal place for advertising at the moment, but again that is completely dependent on viewing figures. Illegal streams don't count in those

The value that Premier will be able to get for their advertising slots falls massively when subscription numbers / viewing figures are low because people are either illegally streaming or sharing accounts (which is also against the terms & conditions of the app I reckon)

I'm not trying to make myself out to be angelic when it comes to streaming, but I do pay for Sky + BT, I just stream the games that aren't shown on TV due to ridiculous laws. I

Until recently, I worked for a media company and now work for a company that is very proactively buying media - advertising slots where people are watching live are where we want to buy, the only way to measure that is through subscription numbers and viewing figures

I was always taught that it goes beyond just plain viewing figures and included segmentation too, 1 viewer in one part of the country was worth as much as 5 in another part because of disposable income etc though that all depends on the product too

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by BamBam on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:23 am

Possibly true, but outside of possibly Edinburgh, I would probably think that the target market for the Pro 14 is all of a fairly similar economic background so would be segmented together

Its an interesting debate anyway

BamBam

Posts : 14419
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:24 am

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

This place does make laugh, it really does. I was lambasted on here for saying people will not be signing up for this new TV deal.

Now I am reading on here how people are not going to bother because £10 a month is a stretch too far, and people wanting to illegally stream.

Only on V2. laughing

This thread alone proves more to me about this place than anything. Very Happy

In fairness I've said from square one that I'll be illegally streaming it but then again I illegally stream most things. I pay the BBC subscription because we're forced to and I pay for a basic sky package because........I don't really know because it's rubbish and I watch everything on Showbox or Netflix. Anyway, that's more than enough money robbed from me on utter tom-kite I don't watch so I'll be avoiding paying for the stuff I actually will watch. It all balances out in the end Wink

It just proves my point even more though. This deal is short term gain, for long term pain. This deal has the potential to ruin the Pro14. When even the hardened rugby fans on here are not even willing to pay for it, then how are we going to expect the casual fan who watched it on the beeb to pay for it ?

How exactly will it ruin the Pro14?

Because not as many people will be watching it, less exposure. Less appeal to sponsors. We will fall behind all our peers. It could cause the best players to go and get a better deal in England or France.

Less exposure really hurt the Premiership, it's gone from strength to strength on both Sky and BT. In fact attendances are far beyond what they were before

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by The Oracle on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:28 am

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

This place does make laugh, it really does. I was lambasted on here for saying people will not be signing up for this new TV deal.

Now I am reading on here how people are not going to bother because £10 a month is a stretch too far, and people wanting to illegally stream.

Only on V2. laughing

This thread alone proves more to me about this place than anything. Very Happy

In fairness I've said from square one that I'll be illegally streaming it but then again I illegally stream most things. I pay the BBC subscription because we're forced to and I pay for a basic sky package because........I don't really know because it's rubbish and I watch everything on Showbox or Netflix. Anyway, that's more than enough money robbed from me on utter tom-kite I don't watch so I'll be avoiding paying for the stuff I actually will watch. It all balances out in the end Wink

It just proves my point even more though. This deal is short term gain, for long term pain. This deal has the potential to ruin the Pro14. When even the hardened rugby fans on here are not even willing to pay for it, then how are we going to expect the casual fan who watched it on the beeb to pay for it ?

How exactly will it ruin the Pro14?

Because not as many people will be watching it, less exposure. Less appeal to sponsors. We will fall behind all our peers. It could cause the best players to go and get a better deal in England or France.

Less exposure really hurt the Premiership, it's gone from strength to strength on both Sky and BT. In fact attendances are far beyond what they were before


Boom! Explain that one away, LD!
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by clivemcl on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:42 am

I've always found illegal streaming a massive ballache. If anyone knows of sources that just work, always work and don't make you guess and accidentally click ads, please message me!

But seriously, for £10 a month I'd definitely opt for the hassle free option.
I work a lot of weekends though so my inability to record is a bummer.

I would love to watch it when home from work but I suspect Premier won't be supper prompt with uploading to their library post-match.

clivemcl

Posts : 4141
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:42 am

marty2086 wrote:Less exposure really hurt the Premiership, it's gone from strength to strength on both Sky and BT. In fact attendances are far beyond what they were before

SKY & BT benefited the English league, although English top flight rugby is no longer on SKY,  because they had the Premiership football.Millions of people were buying subscriptions to those channels for the football, not the rugby, the rugby was an added bonus, although, I would wager that a fraction subscribed for the rugby.

There are people, well in my neck of the woods, who are all over Premiership football, they all have SKY and BT for it, they would watch the rugby on BBC Wales though. I would be very surprised if they all went lock stock and barrel and bought Premier Sports as well. A few might, especially in the areas where the regions are based. But not the figures that were watching the Pro14 on BBC.

The Pro14 in Wales will be lost to these casual viewers who would hunker down and a Friday night/Saturday afternoon with a couple of bevvies to watch the game on BBC Wales. Although people do not like to admit it, these were the fans that were benefiting the regions, just as much as a fan who would go and watch the regions. I watched an interview a few years back that said the money they make from tele was the same as getting 10,000 fans through the turnstiles.

Premier Sports have more than likely done their homework, and I would wager they based their tender on the audience in Ireland, but also took on board the audience in the UK as well, but what I honestly do not think they have wagered for, is the fact that people in the UK would be reluctant to subscribe for a channel that just has Pro14 rugby, Ice hockey and some other American sports.

We know people will not be subscribing because a few have said so on this very thread, and when advertisers and sponsors are looking at investing, it is the tele audience that is king, when things start going pair shaped because of this, and we are back bickering over teams in the Pro14 not being able to compete with the English and French for wages, I wonder what will be the thoughts of people then ?

Premier sport will not get the viewing figures in the UK that the BBC were having.


Last edited by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:44 am

The Oracle wrote:Boom! Explain that one away, LD!

Boom! read above. OK

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:46 am

Why are viewing figures people's main concern ?

Its bringing in more money and is a better product for fans. What do free to air viewers actually contribute to the game ? Expecting professional sport for free is just entitlement.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:50 am

munkian wrote:What do free to air viewers actually contribute to the game ?

Advertisers and sponsorships. The more people that are watching, the more sponsors and advertisers will pay.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:52 am

munkian wrote:Expecting professional sport for free is just entitlement.

Also, Pro14 rugby in Wales has never been on free to air, not to my knowledge anyway, have ITV ever had the rights ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:52 am

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:What do free to air viewers actually contribute to the game ?

Advertisers and sponsorships. The more people that are watching, the more sponsors and advertisers will pay.

We are getting more money from an unknown entity on day one for a product that the BBC have had for over 10 years.

avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by BamBam on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:52 am

FTA TV gets more viewers than subscription TV - well that's an absolute turn up for the books

Why are you talking about advertisers and sponsors when the BBC has no advertising, and was clearly not willing to pay as much as Premier were directly to the league? That is the cash that funds the player wages

BamBam

Posts : 14419
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by The Oracle on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:52 am

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:What do free to air viewers actually contribute to the game ?

Advertisers and sponsorships. The more people that are watching, the more sponsors and advertisers will pay.


Advertisers on BBC? Shocked
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:53 am

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Expecting professional sport for free is just entitlement.

Also, Pro14 rugby in Wales has never been on free to air, not to my knowledge anyway, have ITV ever had the rights ?

What the hell are you talking about ? BBC/S4C are free to air non subscription channels ?
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:54 am

munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:What do free to air viewers actually contribute to the game ?

Advertisers and sponsorships. The more people that are watching, the more sponsors and advertisers will pay.

We are getting more money from an unknown entity on day one for a product that the BBC have had for over 10 years.


Yes they outbid BBC. I bet they are thinking they would get the same viewing figures as the BBC were having in the UK. We already know that they will not be, as people on this very thread have said they will not be subscribing. What happens when they realise this ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by BamBam on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:55 am

munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Expecting professional sport for free is just entitlement.

Also, Pro14 rugby in Wales has never been on free to air, not to my knowledge anyway, have ITV ever had the rights ?

What the hell are you talking about ? BBC/S4C are free to air non subscription channels ?

He's trying to make a snide comment about the licence fee meaning the BBC isn't free

Its oh so clever, he must have read it in his Daily Mail this morning

BamBam

Posts : 14419
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:56 am

munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Expecting professional sport for free is just entitlement.

Also, Pro14 rugby in Wales has never been on free to air, not to my knowledge anyway, have ITV ever had the rights ?

What the hell are you talking about ? BBC/S4C are free to air non subscription channels ?

Do you pay for your TV licence ? Because that's what you pay to watch BBC/S4C. You do not pay it for other channels. OK

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:56 am

Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14 Rolling Eyes

avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by BamBam on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:57 am

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:What do free to air viewers actually contribute to the game ?

Advertisers and sponsorships. The more people that are watching, the more sponsors and advertisers will pay.

We are getting more money from an unknown entity on day one for a product that the BBC have had for over 10 years.


Yes they outbid BBC. I bet they are thinking they would get the same viewing figures as the BBC were having in the UK. We already know that they will not be, as people on this very thread have said they will not be subscribing. What happens when they realise this ?

Do you actually believe that Premier have just bid and won for sporting rights of this nature without having a forecast of their viewing figures, and expected subscription / advertising income?

I'm fairly sure they realise that they'll have less viewers than a free to air channel

But no, I'm sure a blustering carpet salesman knows more than the professional consultants that they would have used to value the rights


Last edited by BamBam on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

BamBam

Posts : 14419
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:57 am

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Expecting professional sport for free is just entitlement.

Also, Pro14 rugby in Wales has never been on free to air, not to my knowledge anyway, have ITV ever had the rights ?

What the hell are you talking about ? BBC/S4C are free to air non subscription channels ?

Do you pay for your TV licence ? Because that's what you pay to watch BBC/S4C. You do not pay it for other channels. OK

You are actually an idiot. So the Welsh prem is now on a paid tv channel is it ? FFS....
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:58 am

munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:58 am

munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Expecting professional sport for free is just entitlement.

Also, Pro14 rugby in Wales has never been on free to air, not to my knowledge anyway, have ITV ever had the rights ?

What the hell are you talking about ? BBC/S4C are free to air non subscription channels ?

Do you pay for your TV licence ? Because that's what you pay to watch BBC/S4C. You do not pay it for other channels. OK

You are actually an idiot. So the Welsh prem is now on a paid tv channel is it ? FFS....

Classy. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by BamBam on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:00 pm

No answer to any of the above eh

BamBam

Posts : 14419
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Less exposure really hurt the Premiership, it's gone from strength to strength on both Sky and BT. In fact attendances are far beyond what they were before

SKY & BT benefited the English league, although English top flight rugby is no longer on SKY,  because they had the Premiership football.Millions of people were buying subscriptions to those channels for the football, not the rugby, the rugby was an added bonus, although, I would wager that a fraction subscribed for the rugby.

There are people, well in my neck of the woods, who are all over Premiership football, they all have SKY and BT for it, they would watch the rugby on BBC Wales though. I would be very surprised if they all went lock stock and barrel and bought Premier Sports as well. A few might, especially in the areas where the regions are based. But not the figures that were watching the Pro14 on BBC.

The Pro14 in Wales will be lost to these casual viewers who would hunker down and a Friday night/Saturday afternoon with a couple of bevvies to watch the game on BBC Wales. Although people do not like to admit it, these were the fans that were benefiting the regions, just as much as a fan who would go and watch the regions. I watched an interview a few years back that said the money they make from tele was the same as getting 10,000 fans through the turnstiles.

Premier Sports have more than likely done their homework, and I would wager they based their tender on the audience in Ireland, but also took on board the audience in the UK as well, but what I honestly do not think they have wagered for, is the fact that people in the UK would be reluctant to subscribe for a channel that just has Pro14 rugby, Ice hockey and some other American sports.

We know people will not be subscribing because a few have said so on this very thread, and when advertisers and sponsors are looking at investing, it is the tele audience that is king, when things start going pair shaped because of this, and we are back bickering over teams in the Pro14 not being able to compete with the English and French for wages, I wonder what will be the thoughts of people then ?

Premier sport will not get the viewing figures in the UK that the BBC were having.

Maybe now you can explain how exactly the casual viewer benefits Pro14?

BT Sports viewing figures were below that of the Sky and their reach is well below that of Sky. Games were averaging 400k in the AP last season on BT and the attendances went up by 10%. So the AP get more money from tv and from attendances.

Though it seems it needs explained yet again to you that Premier will not be airing the Pro14 in Ireland outside of Northern Ireland so Im not sure why they would factor in the audience there Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

They actually don't need to as there will be plenty of games still on FTA

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

Why wouldn't they ? Its a tenner a month for all games in HD.

What numpty wouldn't ?
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:07 pm

marty2086 wrote:Though it seems it needs explained yet again to you that Premier will not be airing the Pro14 in Ireland outside of Northern Ireland so Im not sure why they would factor in the audience there Rolling Eyes

Stop trying to be clever marty. We have had this conversation before, Premier sports is the same company EIR sports in Ireland.

Why you keep trying to ignore this only you will know.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:08 pm

munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

Why wouldn't they ? Its a tenner a month for all games in HD.

What numpty wouldn't ?

You will have to ask the numpty's as you call them yourself, there are a few on here who are not subscribing, ask them, and let them know you think they are numpty's whilst your at it. OK

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:09 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

They actually don't need to as there will be plenty of games still on FTA

Only for people who have access to them. Not everybody has a SKY box ect....

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by The Oracle on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:13 pm

It always used to be the case that you couldn't have ITV and Channel 4 just on their own, without BBC1 and BBC2, and so still needed to have a tv licence for them. So I guess, LD, you're claiming that ITV and Channel 4 are subscription too?
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:13 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Though it seems it needs explained yet again to you that Premier will not be airing the Pro14 in Ireland outside of Northern Ireland so Im not sure why they would factor in the audience there Rolling Eyes

Stop trying to be clever marty. We have had this conversation before, Premier sports is the same company EIR sports in Ireland.

Why you keep trying to ignore this only you will know.

picard

Ok, please show me how they are the same company

Also, eirsports made a separate bid to show the games in RoI, PremierSports bid to show the games in the UK. PremierSports cannot show games to RoI audiences and eir can't show them to UK audiences.

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:14 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

They actually don't need to as there will be plenty of games still on FTA

Only for people who have access to them. Not everybody has a SKY box ect....

Not everyone has a tv, so not everyone had access to BBC Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:14 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

They actually don't need to as there will be plenty of games still on FTA

Only for people who have access to them. Not everybody has a SKY box ect....

You don't need a SkyBox etc
avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by The Oracle on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:16 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

They actually don't need to as there will be plenty of games still on FTA

Only for people who have access to them. Not everybody has a SKY box ect....

There will be 1 game per week on S4c. Same as there used to be.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:18 pm

munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

They actually don't need to as there will be plenty of games still on FTA

Only for people who have access to them. Not everybody has a SKY box ect....

You don't need a SkyBox etc

Is FreeSport available on the app? Though saying that most people have digiboxes etc these days with all the freeview channels available

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:18 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Though it seems it needs explained yet again to you that Premier will not be airing the Pro14 in Ireland outside of Northern Ireland so Im not sure why they would factor in the audience there Rolling Eyes

Stop trying to be clever marty. We have had this conversation before, Premier sports is the same company EIR sports in Ireland.

Why you keep trying to ignore this only you will know.

picard

Ok, please show me how they are the same company

Also, eirsports made a separate bid to show the games in RoI, PremierSports bid to show the games in the UK. PremierSports cannot show games to RoI audiences and eir can't show them to UK audiences.

You can see it for yourself if you bother to check it. They are both channels controlled by the same person who used to be in charge of Stetanta.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:19 pm

End of the day, if people will only watch professional sport for free then they are no loss.

This will separate the wheat from the chaff.

avatar
munkian

Posts : 8214
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 37
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:22 pm

The Oracle wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:Right, some bloke on a forum won't be subscribing so that's the death knell for the Pro14  Rolling Eyes


More than one.

But do you honestly believe that the hundreds of thousands of people who watch it in the UK will all be buying this channel ?

They actually don't need to as there will be plenty of games still on FTA

Only for people who have access to them. Not everybody has a SKY box ect....

There will be 1 game per week on S4c.  Same as there used to be.

Not according to the Pro14 website, round 6&13 do not have games scheduled on S4C. OK

https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/broadcast-schedule/

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:22 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Though it seems it needs explained yet again to you that Premier will not be airing the Pro14 in Ireland outside of Northern Ireland so Im not sure why they would factor in the audience there Rolling Eyes

Stop trying to be clever marty. We have had this conversation before, Premier sports is the same company EIR sports in Ireland.

Why you keep trying to ignore this only you will know.

picard

Ok, please show me how they are the same company

Also, eirsports made a separate bid to show the games in RoI, PremierSports bid to show the games in the UK. PremierSports cannot show games to RoI audiences and eir can't show them to UK audiences.

You can see it for yourself if you bother to check it. They are both channels controlled by the same person who used to be in charge of Stetanta.

I don't need to, I've already explained all this to you. You come on here arrogantly attacking me for the way I get on then you pull this crap

Setanta was bought over by eirSports. The man who runs and owns Premier is Michael O'Rourke, he has NOTHING to do with eirSports other than they bought over a company he used to run.

Here's an analogy for you, Steve Jobs used to run Pixar, he left and went back to Apple, Disney now own Pixar. Disney and Apple are not the same company

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:27 pm

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Though it seems it needs explained yet again to you that Premier will not be airing the Pro14 in Ireland outside of Northern Ireland so Im not sure why they would factor in the audience there Rolling Eyes

Stop trying to be clever marty. We have had this conversation before, Premier sports is the same company EIR sports in Ireland.

Why you keep trying to ignore this only you will know.

picard

Ok, please show me how they are the same company

Also, eirsports made a separate bid to show the games in RoI, PremierSports bid to show the games in the UK. PremierSports cannot show games to RoI audiences and eir can't show them to UK audiences.

You can see it for yourself if you bother to check it. They are both channels controlled by the same person who used to be in charge of Stetanta.

I don't need to, I've already explained all this to you. You come on here arrogantly attacking me for the way I get on then you pull this crap

Setanta was bought over by eirSports. The man who runs and owns Premier is Michael O'Rourke, he has NOTHING to do with eirSports other than they bought over a company he used to run.

Here's an analogy for you, Steve Jobs used to run Pixar, he left and went back to Apple, Disney now own Pixar. Disney and Apple are not the same company

'Eir Group plc., trading as Eir, is a fixed, mobile and broadband telecommunications company in Ireland, and a former state-owned monopoly, which is currently incorporated in Jersey. It is the largest telecommunications operator in the Republic, with a division to service the business and corporate telecom markets in Northern Ireland and Britain. As Bord Telecom Éireann, the company was state-owned until 1999, when it was floated on the Irish and New York Stock Exchanges.

Eir operates the fixed-line telephone network, an LTE (4G), HSDPA (3G) and GSM/EDGE (2.75G) mobile telephone network Eir Mobile and acts as an internet service provider (ISP) eircom.net. As of Q1 2013, Eircom had 54% market share of fixed voice lines; 40% market share of fixed broadband; 11% of mobile broadband; and 17% of mobile.[2] By late 2007 Eircom added their 500,000th DSL subscriber but broadband share may have fallen to 44% due to growth of fixed wireless, cable and fibre services.[3]

Its main competitors are Virgin Media Ireland (which operates a cable TV & Broadband network), Vodafone Ireland (which bought BT Ireland's residential customer base on 22nd July 2009 and is accessed through Eir's network and BT Ireland's fibre), Imagine Communications (Irish Broadband & Gaelic Telecom) and Magnet Networks and Smart Telecom, with a mix of LLU/GLUMP from Eircom and fibre. '

Here's the article about eir buying Setanta https://www.independent.ie/business/eir-acquires-setanta-sports-including-bt-sports-irish-rights-34264787.html

And here's the blurb on Premier

Premier Sports was formed in 2009 by the Irish businessman Michael O'Rourke,[1] a joint CEO and part owner of Setanta Sports and former director of Premium Sports.[2] The channel initially focused on broadcasting sporting events which had not been available in Great Britain since the collapse of Setanta Sports GB on 22 June 2009 and were not picked up by rival sports broadcasters such as ESPN and Sky Sports but are available through Setanta in Ireland.[3] The management of the channel is made up of CEO Michael O'Rourke, General Manager Richard Sweeney and Operations Director Richard Webb.

On 16 July 2010, the official Premier Sports website was launched, at the time the domain was registered to Setanta Sports, as was MSK's.[4][5] Premier Sports' registered office in Luxembourg is also the same as Setanta Sports.[6][7]

In April 2013, Premier Sports and Premier Sports Extra began to share their satellite stream with Setanta Sports 1, the arrangement continued after Premier Sports Extra closed on 13 June 2013. Only Premier Sports branding appears on the channel, with the exception of Setanta's coverage of the Premier League, which was blocked on Premier Sports.


marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by LordDowlais on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:30 pm

Thanks for proving my point marty. OK

They are all just a branch of Stetanta.

The Pro14 TV coverage is controlled by the Irish media. But thats a separate debate.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12733
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:31 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Thanks for proving my point marty. OK

They are all just a branch of Stetanta.

How can you be a branch of something that doesn't exist?

Can't even admit when you are wrong can you Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by marty2086 on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:41 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Thanks for proving my point marty. OK

They are all just a branch of Stetanta.

The Pro14 TV coverage is controlled by the Irish media. But thats a separate debate.

So now it's clear you are just trying to troll, maybe something mods want to deal with

marty2086

Posts : 10293
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier Sports - will you be watching?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum