The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First day of Pro 14 Blues v Leinster

+9
Brendan
Pete330v2
PhilBB
mikey_dragon
thebandwagonsociety
Pot Hale
RiscaGame
maestegmafia
Newsilure
13 posters

Go down

First day of Pro 14 Blues v Leinster Empty First day of Pro 14 Blues v Leinster

Post by Newsilure Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 pm

So, expectations high (or at least as high as we get at the Blues), if you have to play the reigning European champions the first game of the season is a pretty good time to play them.

Blues didn't recruit a lot over the Summer so our match day squad is likely to only have a few new faces. Not sure if everyone is fit, but if they were this is the team I would go with -

Gethin
Dacey
Arhip
Manoa
Seb
Navidi
Jenkins
Williams

Tomos Williams
Jarrod
Owen Lane
Rey
Willis
Tom
Anscombe

SUBS
Rhys Carre
Dylan Lewis
Smiler
Ollie Robinson
Earl
Lloyd
Mathew Morgan
Garyn Smith

Thoughts?

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

First day of Pro 14 Blues v Leinster Empty Re: First day of Pro 14 Blues v Leinster

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:00 pm

You haven’t recruited much, but Arhip and Samu Manoa are cracking additions to the squad. That’d a strong looking pack. However, I’m not sure the backs are as strong? Just feel they’re missing a few stars in there, but under a new coach who knows they may click and do really well.

Back to top Go down

First day of Pro 14 Blues v Leinster Empty Re: First day of Pro 14 Blues v Leinster

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:18 am

Newsilure wrote:Thoughts?

You have picked too many subs

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:00 am

maestegmafia wrote:

How?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsilure Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:54 am

RiscaGame wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How?

Its my match day squad Smile. I do get bemused by the number of subs allowed, the pro 14 rule says -

6.6 Each Team must nominate a matchday squad of 23 players, of which six must be Front Row Players

But they also have one that says -

6.2. A maximum of two non-European players are permitted in a Team’s match squad.

Which I don't see being followed by any club

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Newsilure wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How?

Its my match day squad Smile. I do get bemused by the number of subs allowed, the pro 14 rule says -

6.6 Each Team must nominate a matchday squad of 23 players, of which six must be Front Row Players

6.2. A maximum of two non-European players are permitted in a Team’s match squad.

Sorry my mistake, you picked four forwards and three backs. Leaves you no second row cover of a man gets injured.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:34 pm

I've seen Earle on there all along, as well as 8 players. At least I thought I did.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:53 pm

I’m very excited to see what Jarrod Evans and Tomos Williams can do together this season. They both really shon last year. Would be great to see a home grown centre or two start making waves from the blues academy this year, as I’m not sure the leelo/Willis axis will hang around

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Newsilure wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How?

It is followed albeit you need to understand what is meant by non-European.   Basically it refers to Australian or NZ players who don’t have PI heritage.  Hence, Leinster can only have two of Fardy, Gibson-Park or Lowe in their match day squad.   SA-born players are not counted as “non-European”.  

There’s a bit more to it than that but that’s its broad implications.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:44 pm

I hope to see Thornton get some game time soon. I imagine that Williams and manu will be swapped as ball carrying backrowers and that might give Thornton a chance to emulate his blues colleague Seb Davies’s form

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsilure Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:10 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I hope to see Thor Jill get some game time soon. I imagine that Williams and manu will be swapped as ball carrying backrowers and that might give Thornhill a chance to emulate his blues colleague Seb Davies’s form

Yes I expect Thornton to get a lot of match time although he and Seb may be a bit similar in build, style of play and level of experience to both play at the same time. Garyn Smith is starting to look the part at centre and he and Rey are probably our best defensive combination, I expect Lane and Summerhill to have some outings at centre as both have bulk as well as speed.

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Newsilure wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I hope to see Thor Jill get some game time soon. I imagine that Williams and manu will be swapped as ball carrying backrowers and that might give Thornhill a chance to emulate his blues colleague Seb Davies’s form

Yes I expect Thornton to get a lot of match time although he and Seb may be a bit similar in build, style of play and level of experience to both play at the same time. Garyn Smith is starting to look the part at centre and he and Rey are probably our best defensive combination, I expect Lane and Summerhill to have some outings at centre as both have bulk as well as speed.

What has happened to the ex-20s lad who was at Tigers, Jack Roberts?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsilure Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:44 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Newsilure wrote:

Yes, I should have mentioned him as he looked like he might have potential the few times I have seen him play, unfortunately injured(I think) most of last season, hopefully we will see more of him this year. A short but solid chap, very low centre of gravity and so hard to tackle.

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Newsilure wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Newsilure wrote:

Yes, I should have mentioned him as he looked like he might have potential the few times I have seen him play, unfortunately injured(I think) most of last season, hopefully we will see more of him this year. A short but solid chap, very low centre of gravity and so hard to tackle.

Scott Gibbs-esq from what i remember seeing when he was at Tigers. Pocket battleship with a decent pass and a good eye for the game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Newsilure wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How?

6.2 would be tough on the Cheetahs and the Kings.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Newsilure wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How?

It is followed albeit you need to understand what is meant by non-European.   Basically it refers to Australian or NZ players who don’t have PI heritage.  Hence, Leinster can only have two of Fardy, Gibson-Park or Lowe in their match day squad.   SA-born players are not counted as “non-European”.  

There’s a bit more to it than that but that’s its broad implications.

Just to add a number of nations - including South Africa and the Pacific Island countries - are exempt from this rule under the Cotonou Agreement between the EU and African, Caribbean and Pacific group of States.

Australia and New Zealand aren't covered by this EU agreement.

I presume once Brexit occurs British clubs wouldn't be looking to avail of EU exemptions.....

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:06 pm

Will be interesting to see if Dylan Lewis can push on from his superb performances on the summer tour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:02 am

Gethin and Navidi are unavailable through injury aren’t they? Probably is your best pack though. The back line looks very good, and although I’m not sold on your wingers you have some combo’s that can throw the ball around and score tries.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:04 am

RiscaGame wrote:I've seen Earle on there all along, as well as 8 players. At least I thought I did.

Yep, and the OP hasn’t been edited by the look of it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsilure Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Gethin and Navidi are unavailable through injury aren’t they? Probably is your best pack though. The back line looks very good, and although I’m not sold on your wingers you have some combo’s that can throw the ball around and score tries.

I am not sure where to look for injury status of Blues players. When Dai Young was there I think the web site used to post a regular update on injured players and how long they were out for and it would be good to have that back.

I guess if Gethin is out it means starts for either Gill, whose usually competent but doesn't over impress, or Brad Thyer who seems to be growing in skill at the scrum and is good around the field. I would still like to see Rhys Carre on the bench as he brings significant carrying power coming on in the second half - although it may be to much to expect a 19 year old to have as significant impact in the senior game as he does at u20.

Navidi is a big loss to any team but both Robinson and Turnbull are good replacements, with Jenkins going to 6 if Robinson plays.

Hopefully Tom will get back to his try scoring best this season and Lane has real potential although this season will prove whether he will become a star.

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Newsilure wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How?

That's probably because you're confused by what "non-European players" means.

Clue: it means those without automatic EU working rights.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Nice to see the club release a short interview with Manoa today.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:36 pm

The new broadcast deal, all nice and shiny launch of the competition, lots of positive words from Anayi.....

Referee for Cardiff v Leinster = Nigel Owens.

What a shower of garbage.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:05 pm

PhilBB wrote:The new broadcast deal, all nice and shiny launch of the competition, lots of positive words from Anayi.....

I think he's a great referee personally Very Happy

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsilure Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
PhilBB wrote:The new broadcast deal, all nice and shiny launch of the competition, lots of positive words from Anayi.....

It does seem a real weakness that the pro 14 cannot come up with neutral referees. My own view is that top referees like Nigel Owens are so focussed on being seen to be neutral that they err on the side of punishing the team from their country more than their opponents. This view was reinforced the last time(I think) Owens refereed the Blues up in Scotland against Glasgow when he ended up red carding Tau Filise for a totally innocuous incident which Owens clearly thought merited at most a penalty, but when the tv referee put forward an alternative view Owens went along with it. In other situations where Owens had been refereeing games where he is a neutral it would be very unusual for him to change his view based on the TV ref as he is normally very firm that he knows best.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-taufaao-filise-banned-14003831

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:31 pm

Newsilure wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

It does seem a real weakness that the pro 14 cannot come up with neutral referees. My own view is that top referees like Nigel Owens are so focussed on being seen to be neutral that they err on the side of punishing the team from their country more than their opponents. This view was reinforced the last time(I think) Owens refereed the Blues up in Scotland against Glasgow when he ended up red carding Tau Filise for a totally innocuous incident which Owens clearly thought merited at most a penalty, but when the  tv referee  put forward an alternative view Owens went along with it. In other situations where Owens had been refereeing games where he is a neutral it would be very unusual for him to change his view based on the TV ref as he is normally very firm that he knows best.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-taufaao-filise-banned-14003831

While not ideal it isn't the worse thing. I think the IRFU want to have neutral refs but the other unions know it is their plan to get good refs and force other teams to deal with those Irish refs.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:00 am

Brendan wrote:
Newsilure wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

It does seem a real weakness that the pro 14 cannot come up with neutral referees. My own view is that top referees like Nigel Owens are so focussed on being seen to be neutral that they err on the side of punishing the team from their country more than their opponents. This view was reinforced the last time(I think) Owens refereed the Blues up in Scotland against Glasgow when he ended up red carding Tau Filise for a totally innocuous incident which Owens clearly thought merited at most a penalty, but when the  tv referee  put forward an alternative view Owens went along with it. In other situations where Owens had been refereeing games where he is a neutral it would be very unusual for him to change his view based on the TV ref as he is normally very firm that he knows best.

While not ideal it isn't the worse thing.  I think the IRFU want to have neutral refs but the other unions know it is their plan to get good refs and force other teams to deal with those Irish refs.

Could you explain your comment, Brendan - I’ve read it a number of times and don’t understand it?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:46 pm

The only thing in Owens' favour is that he's not a Leinster society ref, who will fly to the game on the plane with the Leinster players and then home again on a plane with the Leinster players, all of whom are paid by the same company.

http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/8430.php
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:14 am

PhilBB wrote:The only thing in Owens' favour is that he's not a Leinster society ref, who will fly to the game on the plane with the Leinster players and then home again on a plane with the Leinster players, all of whom are paid by the same company.

Apparently, Phil, allegedly even, PRO14 are set to contract the refs directly as a result of new TV and sponsor monies - but no announcement as of yet.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:54 am

Pot Hale wrote:
PhilBB wrote:The only thing in Owens' favour is that he's not a Leinster society ref, who will fly to the game on the plane with the Leinster players and then home again on a plane with the Leinster players, all of whom are paid by the same company.

Apparently, Phil, allegedly even, PRO14 are set to contract the refs directly as a result of new TV and sponsor monies - but no announcement as of yet.  

A good thing, unless they start hiring dross from the SH. You Irish wouldn’t mind having your good friend Glen Jackson back in town I guess.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:59 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

A good thing, unless they start hiring dross from the SH. You Irish wouldn’t mind having your good friend Glen Jackson back in town I guess.

Only if he plays two concerts in Croke Park.

Or was that Glen Campbell? Or the other fella, wotsisname?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Glenn Medeiros

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:04 pm

M Morgan; J Harries, W Halaholo, R Lee-Lo, O Lane; J Evans, L Williams; B Thyer, K Dacey, D Arhip, S Davies, R Thornton, J Turnbull, E Jenkins, N Williams.

Read more at https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/08/30/cardiff-blues-team-to-face-leinster-rugby/#ZJUUr1his4wBYxud.99

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Dave Kearney (122)
14. Adam Byrne (38)
13. Rory O’Loughlin (42)
12. Joe Tomane (0)
11. Barry Daly (27)
10. Ross Byrne (49)
9. Luke McGrath (95)
1. Peter Dooley (47)
2. James Tracy (66)
3. Michael Bent (106)
4. Ross Molony (64)
5. Scott Fardy (22)
6. Josh Murphy (9)
7. Rhys Ruddock (142) CAPTAIN
8. Caelan Doris (1)

16. Bryan Byrne (26)
17. Ed Byrne (23)
18. Andrew Porter (30)
19. Mick Kearney (35)
20. Max Deegan (21)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (51)
22. Noel Reid (100)
23. Fergus McFadden (169)
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:57 pm

The blues are looking sharp. There only weakness so far is the back three seem scared of high balls.
But they are doing a number on Leinster at ruck time

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Leinster should nick this with a last minute score.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:29 pm

Surely not....

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:30 pm

I'm really pissed off I missed this and had to watch a dour fest instead. If Premier Sports haven't sharpened up by next week I'm going to consider cancelling.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:30 pm

Have to say Cardiff were very impressive.
Tomane was absolute gash. How many times did he get stripped in contact?Cardiff's backline and breakdown is brilliant

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:31 pm

Was it Adam or Ross that got the two tries? BBC just says 'Byrne' I have Ross in my fantasy team.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Exellent result for the squad. Didn’t think we’d win that with so many first teamed missing. Dave Kearney at 15 - who’d a thunk?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Was it Adam or Ross that got the two tries?  BBC just says 'Byrne' I have Ross in my fantasy team.
Bryan

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:42 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Was it Adam or Ross that got the two tries?  BBC just says 'Byrne' I have Ross in my fantasy team.

Brian Byrne. One of seven Byrnes at Leinster. Smile
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:33 am

carpet baboon wrote:Have to say Cardiff were very impressive.
Tomane was absolute gash. How many times did he get stripped in contact?Cardiff's backline and breakdown is brilliant

Certainly their strength but the front 5 and bench isn’t too good. Where was Manoa?

I read that Jarrod Evans (10) was a standout for Blues, he’s a promising young player.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 am

Monoa only arrived from Toulon this week and I think is carrying a small injury. They said they didn’t want to rush him back. Not sure why he was so late coming over from Toulon though. Would have thought he’d transfer over at the end of last season.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:13 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:Have to say Cardiff were very impressive.

Certainly their strength but the front 5 and bench isn’t too good. Where was Manoa?

I read that Jarrod Evans (10) was a standout for Blues, he’s a promising young player.

Evans looked very solid - the closest comparison is Stephen Jones - except Evans has pace.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsilure Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:40 am

Well good game but a disappointing result. Our maul defence was very poor and got considerably worse when Nick Williams went off, his early substitution was probably the turning point of the game as after that we just couldn't match a well drilled set of Leinster forwards in the tight. I mentioned earlier in this thread that Seb and Thornton might be too similar to play together as so far neither has developed the defensive guile and grunt we need in the second row.

Very pleased with the way the backs went in attack, Jarrod Evans' kicking from hand has improved significantly and his orchestration of attack moves is very good. But he needs to quickly develop better game control to allow the Blues to close out games, we are definitely going to score tries but we are giving good opponents the chance to score as many or more against us.

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:53 am

Unlucky Blues. Didn’t see it but read you were looking good. Bit of a kick in the b@lls to lose at the death like that.

Congrats to Leinster. I guess that’s the sign of a champion side, never giving up and playing to the death and sneaking the win clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:29 am

You can never score enough against the ladyboys. Given it was Leinsters fourth choice team it doesn’t bode well for everyone else. DK at fb was impressive. Beat people and tackled well. Probably secretly feeling hard done by given bobert can’t do either.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down