Offer of £275M to buy 51% ownership of the Premiership from the ex-owners of F1

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Offer of £275M to buy 51% ownership of the Premiership from the ex-owners of F1

Post by Recwatcher16 on Wed 05 Sep 2018, 8:05 am

First topic message reminder :

The deal seems cheap to me but a sign of things to come and as always the devil is in the detail of whether the clubs maintain any voting rights against a 51% share.
I can't imagine the RFU are too happy about it but the sooner the game is returned to the power of the domestic fan the better and the jamborees at Twicks can remain just that...jamborees.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45417946

Last edited by Recwatcher16 on Wed 05 Sep 2018, 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Re: Offer of £275M to buy 51% ownership of the Premiership from the ex-owners of F1

Post by SecretFly on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 2:31 pm

Recwatcher16 wrote:Yes Secret, long may your faith in Browne et al continue. The interesting time will come when it doesn't.
The Aussies have had to deal with too many factors outside their control in order to fund their top tier and have left the grassroots to wither.

I've had long enough in the doldrums, Rec...at International and Club level.  Ireland doesn't exactly come into many people's heads when thinking about high rolling rugby Union sides of the past.  So I already know what dissatisfaction feels like.
Wherever Irish rugby is going long term - back down or further up - nobody can deny that it was a heavy Union influence and involvement that gave us this perhaps brief bounce into the very top layer of the sport in this era.  It's been a long term vision, its been long term problem solving and pre-planning in fine detail from child to man player that has brought Irish Provincial success at club level and Irish International success at that level.

I don't consider myself that old but I can't deny I'm old enough to have formed my lifelong views on most things.  We don't usually have dramatic conversions from my age on.  I know you love your preferred model Rec.  All the best with it, certainly your right to promote it and embrace it as your model of choice.
For my part, I'd never in the remainder of my lifetime champion a model for Ireland different to the one we have.  I'd never welcome some big foreign (or local) billionaire coming into Leinster and buying up its history as his plaything for a decade or two before selling on.  Nope, that's just not a philosophy I can warm to or buy into.  

I don't see any moral value in self-made billionaires 'owning' Provinces.  Union ownership gives me a sense of 'ownership' of all Provinces because they all tie into Ireland international.  It's what the players want - to wear that Green and represent their Nation.  In Ireland there is a clearly defined path to that ultimate goal and it's joined up organisationally.  We don't have a situation where a foreign owner of Munster has no interest in the journey of the International team and doesn't mind impeding the development (withholding players etc) if it makes business sense to him.  In Ireland it makes business sense for Provinces and International to closely cooperate on targets - it makes business sense, professional sense, profit sense and in the end, cultural unity sense.  Nothing bad about any of that.
Will it continue to flourish or face massive pressures?  The future will tell.  But no blunt antagonistic Private club v Union system in Ireland will create a smoother model than the one we already have.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Re: Offer of £275M to buy 51% ownership of the Premiership from the ex-owners of F1

Post by LondonTiger on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 10:42 am

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/16/pro14-in-talks-with-investors-about-exploiting-its-commercial-rights

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 6:27 pm

Brendan wrote:So if we have the professional game given all the money (that they aren't making, as every professional team in England and France would make bigger losses if they weren't getting subs.  It for for access to player from the League not the club otherwise Sarries would be getting a much bigger pay out compared to any other team) and the union only funding grassroots you would end up with the RA situation.  If you fund all levels on a basis of needs v return you get the IRFU/NZ model.
Firstly who says the IRFU model is better than any other? Ireland have had a good season. But up to the Lions tour England were doing better than Ireland. Who is to say they will not do so again this year? The same applies to the club game. Leinster winning one European Champions Cup does not mean that Sarries or Exeter will not win this season.

Secondly, Where is the professional game given all the money? Certainly not England as a quick look at the RFU's accounts will show.

Finally, as for the RFU paying the league for access not the clubs that is incorrect. The clubs own the players contracts not the league. The RFU wanted to pay clubs according the number of internationals they provide in order to reward player development. The clubs agreed between themselves to pool the payouts to maintain a competitive league.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum