The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

+22
Luke
No name Bertie
Afro
robbo277
KP_fan
LondonTiger
LivinginItaly
msp83
guildfordbat
king_carlos
subhranshu.kumar.5
VTR
wisden
JDizzle
sirfredperry
Dolphin Ziggler
alfie
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
CaledonianCraig
Gooseberry
Nathaniel Jacobs
26 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests - Page 8 Empty England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 02 Sep 2018, 9:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

guildfordbat wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:The toss has proven to be most significant factor in the entire series. Root was fortunate he won the toss in every match - despite he moronic decision to bowl in Nottingham. Had the tosses been the opposite way around we could easily be 0-4 down as Kohli would've batted in Nottingham anyway.

The side is clearly in decline once Anderson and Broad leave the scene we may well struggle to even win at home.

Curran has been a decent find more for his batting, bowling isn't anything to write home about yet.

Moeen a decent comeback but his issues are he's hopeless away from England.

Cook and Jennings need scores at the Oval or i would hope both are dropped for Sri Lanka.

Root has shown in this series he's not of the class of a Smith, Kohli or Williamson. His stock has fallen big time.

Dropping is easy. Replacing is less so.
Burns and Vince. Need someone to get after the bowling on the Sri Lankan sandpits and Vince is a decent player of spin. Burns the guy the try and hold up an end.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests - Page 8 Empty Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:07 pm

dummy_half wrote:So far seems a much more fluent morning for England's batsmen. Lead now past 200, so even with a trademark collapse we should be setting a challenging target.

50 up for Root now.

Perfect situation for the likes of Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler and Curran to come in - tiring attack, runs on the board with license to attack...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests - Page 8 Empty Re: England's Indian Summer - T20s, ODIs & Tests

Post by guildfordbat Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:08 pm

As Nasser said earlier, knowledgeable crowd at the Oval - instant applause for Cook moving onto 76 and ahead of Sangakkara in terms of Test runs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:08 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Cant think of when Cook looked this free and confident in a test. Even his last double century seemed like an ordeal. Root too looks like the pressures off ....great way to bow out reminding people of what was.

Confirms what I've been thinking about Cook this year : it really wasn't that he had forgotten how to bat , or lost his skills. Oh the reflexes might have slowed a fraction ; but not enough to account for his lack of scores. Wasn't his eyes either.

It was basically in his head. The passage of time ; a bit of weariness with the constant pressure and a few low scores had combined to have him thinking that it might be time to call it quits. He wasn't sure ; and it was this very indecision that did for him this summer...

Batting , especially at this level , requires above all an uncluttered mind ; and Cook didn't have that. Which is why he frequently started well , looked reasonably "set" - and then got out in different , and often apparently careless , fashion. Wasn't that he couldn't play...more that he no longer knew that.

Take away the indecision - by fixing his retirement - and hey presto ! Fixed ... Mind no longer clouded ; he can just play the ball as he always has...and we see the results.

A pity he didn't get a really lucky eighty odd early in the summer ...he might have settled and be with us for another year or two...

Ah well ...all good things must come to an end . He passes Sangakarra now and will finish as number five on the run scoring list clap

Good to see him going out on a high.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:08 pm

Biggest threat to England now is maybe Root getting overconfident and aggressive. But as it is they are strolling this. Any lead over 300 is likely beyond India, they should be there before tea.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:16 pm

Nice to see Root getting a score too...he was certainly due ! Looked better from the start last night , I thought. And runs have been getting easier this morning as India seem to be feeling the call of the flight home...
Want Root in form for the winter tours...going to miss Cook.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:20 pm

Okay I think we are now getting to the stage now where India cannot win. The lead is now 231 with 8 England wickets in hand and just over a day and two sessions to play.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:21 pm

Roots threatening to upstage Cook and get to a centrury first ...although it is Root so expect him t get out in the 90s and start a collapse Wink

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:21 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Biggest threat to England now is maybe Root getting overconfident and aggressive. But as it is they are strolling this. Any lead over 300 is likely beyond India, they should be there before tea.

Yep, go with that. I recall one ball in the last session yesterday from the Vauxhall end that kept low. A few of those tomorrow and India should really be struggling. Mind you, I'm always greedy for runs to strengthen the lead. I'll therefore stay with looking to set them a minimum of 340 and preferably more than that even.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:22 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Roots threatening to upstage Cook and get to a centrury first ...although it is Root so expect him t get out in the 90s and start a collapse Wink

I've missed being able to discuss Root's poor conversion rate from 50 to 100... Very Happy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:27 pm

12 away now...officially nervous in this part of England.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:28 pm

How comes the ball keeps getting deformed - in 62 overs the Indians are onto their fifth ball - having got four successive changes of the ball.  This must be some sort of record.

Last edited by No name Bertie on Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:30 pm

No name Bertie wrote:How comes the ball keeps getting deformed - in 62 overs the Indians are onto their fifth ball - having got four successive changes of the ball.  This must be some sort of record.

Broad has a theory. He reckons this new batch of Duke balls are reacting differently then he is used to. Perhaps a new form of manufacturing or lacquering the ball?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:33 pm

ps I thought the balls that knocked over the stumps of Jennings and Moeen in this innings were fairly brilliant. Not sure either can be blamed for their dismissals? Yet now the batting looks assured from Cook & Root. Presumably the bowling conditions have changed and there is less seam and turn ?
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:37 pm

Cook enters the nervous 90s.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:38 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Biggest threat to England now is maybe Root getting overconfident and aggressive. But as it is they are strolling this. Any lead over 300 is likely beyond India, they should be there before tea.

Yep, go with that. I recall one ball in the last session yesterday from the Vauxhall end that kept low. A few of those tomorrow and India should really be struggling. Mind you, I'm always greedy for runs to strengthen the lead. I'll therefore stay with looking to set them a minimum of 340 and preferably more than that even.

340 probably ample...but they'll really only want to bowl an hour or so tonight and you'd think they'll be well north of 340 in front by then...

Unless they collapse completely after lunch , of course Smile

Which in this series surely can't be ruled out , unlikely as it seems at the moment !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:41 pm

alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

340 probably ample...but they'll really only want to bowl an hour or so tonight and you'd think they'll be well north of 340 in front by then...

Which in this series surely can't be ruled out , unlikely as it seems at the moment !

Well, actually, the collapse has tended to come in the top half of the batting. The tail has always wagged so you could say the strongest part of the batting line-up is yet to come.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:43 pm

And there it is. Alastair Cook's 33rd and last test match century. clap A fairytale ending in farcical fashion with overthrows.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:45 pm

Is there a better way to bring up 100?!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:45 pm

Goosebumps. What a moment
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:46 pm

What an ovation that was. Never seen anything like it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:47 pm

Yahoo Hundred it is clap

Ale cake clap guinness cider RedWine little bit of help from the fielders to finish...it was Written .

Well done Chef thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:48 pm

Ha - Cook gets five runs - after running for a single one of the Indian fielders throws the ball out for an additional four.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:50 pm

No name Bertie wrote:ps I thought the balls that knocked over the stumps of Jennings and Moeen in this innings were fairly brilliant.  Not sure either can be blamed for their dismissals?  Yet now the batting looks assured from Cook & Root.  Presumably the bowling conditions have changed and there is less seam and turn ?

Hi Bertie - those wicket taking balls were good ones but I thought there was naivety in the way they were played and not played respectively by Moeen and Jennings.

Cook and particularly Root did also look assured as yesterday's final session went on.

PS Tight wad comment. It's bl**dy annoying when you've forked out near the equivalent of a quid an over and the ball keeps being checked which threatens to leave you short changed on the day.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:55 pm

In his debut test Cook got a fifty in the first innings and a century in the second, in his final test he does the same.

It came up in bizarre fashion but it was a great moment to witness. A vociferous Oval crowd loving every moment of it and the players clearly doing the same.

A rare smile from Jimmy Anderson on the balcony as well!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:57 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:How comes the ball keeps getting deformed - in 62 overs the Indians are onto their fifth ball - having got four successive changes of the ball.  This must be some sort of record.

Broad has a theory. He reckons this new batch of Duke balls are reacting differently then he is used to. Perhaps a new form of manufacturing or lacquering the ball?

It would make sense except its also "the old stock" replacements thats been problematic in this test. Some of those could date back years.
These are balls that managed to get through 30 odd overs of a test without getting deformed but are only lasting arounbd 10 of this one. Theres something deeply odd happening!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:00 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

It would make sense except its also "the old stock" replacements thats been problematic in this test. Some of those could date back years.
These are balls that managed to get through 30 odd overs of a test without getting deformed but are only lasting arounbd 10 of this one. Theres something deeply odd happening!

Another theory is the pitches prepared for the series. The summer has been long and hot so the pitches are very dry and been left with grass on top so has offered a lot for the bowlers.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:01 pm

England go into lunch on 243 for 2. England lead by 283. Cook takes the applause of fans and players as he leaves the pitch first.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:03 pm

Is Sharma injured by the way?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:05 pm

Most ever second innings hundreds for Cook, so I just read. 15 puts him top. 

Jimmy only two wickets off McGrath?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:05 pm

Think we can call that England's session Smile

In truth it belonged to one man...and the will of the whole crowd. Thankfully it happened as it was ordained...

India really looking like a team that has had enough now. Can hardly blame them. Not sure how they will bat when they do get back in.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:07 pm

alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Yep, Gower was saying earlier that it's not just a matter of runs but also time. Ideally, have a bowl for 50 or 60 minutes tonight having set them north of 340.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:08 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Is Sharma injured by the way?

Seems he is. Not sure what , exactly ...but he's been off the field for quite a while. India not having much luck !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:13 pm

alfie wrote:Think we can call that England's session Smile

In truth it belonged to one man...and the will of the whole crowd.  Thankfully it happened as it was ordained...

India really looking like a team that has had enough now.  Can hardly blame them.  Not sure how they will bat when they do get back in.

Meanwhile, Root's gets to 90 odd, is still there and doesn't get a mention. Smile

Your reference to the will of the whole crowd is spot on. That was very evident yesterday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:15 pm

alfie wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Is Sharma injured by the way?

Seems he is. Not sure what , exactly ...but he's been off the field for quite a while.  India not having much luck !

Don't know any details but physio was on for him yesterday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:18 pm

Well, after 3 stodgy days in terms of run rate, England have put on just shy of 130 in the session and moved the game on a lot further than I expected - earlier I reckoned 200 by lunch, so we're 40 ahead of that.

More of the same this afternoon, with our aggressive hitters still in the hutch could see the lead on towards 400 by tea, opening up the options for the declaration.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:29 pm

dummy_half wrote:Well, after 3 stodgy days in terms of run rate, England have put on just shy of 130 in the session and moved the game on a lot further than I expected - earlier I reckoned 200 by lunch, so we're 40 ahead of that.

More of the same this afternoon, with our aggressive hitters still in the hutch could see the lead on towards 400 by tea, opening up the options for the declaration.

We'll see how they go this afternoon - ironically for England, from a team perspective they could do with Cook getting out to allow Bairstow/Buttler/Stokes to get in Very Happy

Pre-empting Guildford...imagine England will declare post tea, to keep the Indian openers on their toes and to give them a short turnaround time to strap the pads on. Even if the lead accelerates beyond 400 before then
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:35 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
dummy_half wrote:Well, after 3 stodgy days in terms of run rate, England have put on just shy of 130 in the session and moved the game on a lot further than I expected - earlier I reckoned 200 by lunch, so we're 40 ahead of that.

We'll see how they go this afternoon - ironically for England, from a team perspective they could do with Cook getting out to allow Bairstow/Buttler/Stokes to get in Very Happy

Pre-empting Guildford...imagine England will declare post tea, to keep the Indian openers on their toes and to give them a short turnaround time to strap the pads on. Even if the lead accelerates beyond 400 before then

Good lad, Olly. Very Happy Yep, exactly that. Keep their openers out in the field, keep 'em wondering and, in the words of Gareth Batty, p*ss 'em off.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:38 pm

Beautiful innings from Cook. Still the best opener in all the land. I wouldn't bother declaring until Cook gets out/gets past Lara's 400.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:45 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

Not such an issue if we keep scoring at 130 runs per session...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 1:53 pm

Duty281 wrote:Beautiful innings from Cook. Still the best opener in all the land. I wouldn't bother declaring until Cook gets out/gets past Lara's 400.

Maybe we should forget about winning this one and just tell Chef to bat on tomorrow and take Lara's record , eh ?

Think he'd have to speed up just a little bit Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:00 pm

Root to 99...

Been a while waiting for him to convert one. This time ? Gods on his side with the drop just recently...

200 stand thumbsup

Still on 99...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:01 pm

Root gets another life. Missed at slip by Pujara off the luckless Shami. The fielder was done no favours by the overly keen and hapless Pant diving into his eye line. In contrast, I was impressed on Saturday by Bairstow's instant decision making in when to leave the ball for Cook to gobble up at first slip.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:04 pm

Well run chaps...Root scampers through for his hundred clap

These two making their last partnership a seriously notable one...

Can go ballistic now , I guess ...though I think the 400 lead won't take long anyway. Think India are Cooked...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:04 pm

So Cook gets his ton on bonus overthrows, Root gets stuck on 99 having struggled to get to 3 figures for the last 12 months, Cricketing Gods have a sense of humour.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:05 pm

So Cook gets his ton on bonus overthrows, Root gets stuck on 99 having struggled to get to 3 figures for the last 12 months, Cricketing Gods have a sense of humour.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:06 pm

OK, lead over 300 and both batsmen with their centuries. Time to really force the issue, or just keep going with more of the same?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:09 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Root gets another life. Missed at slip by Pujara off the luckless Shami. The fielder was done no favours by the overly keen and hapless Pant diving into his eye line. In contrast, I was impressed on Saturday by Bairstow's instant decision making in when to leave the ball for Cook to gobble up at first slip.

Yes quite a contrast in the keeping , isn't it ? I see Gilchrist was urging India to have patience with Pant ; and he should know...but the young fellow has really battled : must be pushing a world record for byes in this series !
True Bairstow struggled initially as keeper ; so people can improve ; but I'm not sure Pant will get the chance as his batting just hasn't delivered either.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:13 pm

Cook should just do as he does and Root should power on now. Keep an anchor and the other end firing. Plus I just want Cook to be playing and playing

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:18 pm

dummy_half wrote:OK, lead over 300 and both batsmen with their centuries. Time to really force the issue, or just keep going with more of the same?
4.5 per over since lunch so going along pretty well I think...No need to go nuts really ; though the crowd might enjoy some sixes.

Actually I get rather bored with this part of a game , necessary as it sometimes is.  The heat , and the competition ,  has gone ...but it's Cook's farewell so guess I'll keep watching...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:31 pm

Think this knock shows Cook has made the right decision to retire.

Obviously he still has all the ability. But if the only way he can reach this level of application is him announcing his retirement to give the game personal meaning, then the hunger to play for England must have diminished.

Taking nothing away from the guy. Fantastic batsman with a fantastic end to a fantastic career. But some (e.g. on the BBC live text) calling for him to reconsider his retirement are wide of the mark for me.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next