The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by profitius on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 6:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Having been watching it since it was the original Celtic league and looking at comments about it online in all those years it's fair to say it's the most controversial competition in world rugby. There are always problems popping up that it could do without. No exaggeration to say it has a way to go yet.


What I've noticed in the last few years is the standard of play. It has dramatically improved!!!


Starting off with Glasgow's rise to win the competition. Then we had Connacht coming from nowhere to win it. Then the Scarlets won it in style. Those teams won by playing attractive running rugby.


Then last year Leinster won again after they've become one of the best non international teams in the world. Also last year we had Benetton and Zebre getting their act together and become hard teams to beat, especially Benetton. Edinburgh have become a tough team to beat too, much improved from previous years.


The South Africans are weak but they've added something exotic to the league. Cheetahs do look weaker than last season (too early to judge) but Kings look improved so far. After 2 poor seasons the buzz is back in Connacht and Cardiff are showing good signs.


So all in all the standard has improved greatly. That's putting the pressure on other traditionally strong sides like Munster, Ospreys and Ulster, which is no harm.


The league isn't without problems which are constantly highlighted so I though I'd take a look at the big picture for a change. thumbsup
avatar
profitius

Posts : 4050
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down


Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by RugbyFan100 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:28 am

marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
Cyril wrote: Reading comments on the Pro14 it appears you get hounded off the forum if you post anything other than fawning adoration.

Pretty much

Didn't you post an article that failed to hold up to published fact? Not to mention complaints about eirSports getting the rights to games hosted in Ireland? Rolling Eyes

I can post whatever article I want.

As for EirSports - I can have any opinion on them I want.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1147
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:31 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Cyril wrote:Any competition that has fans unable to take any sort of comment or criticism without flying into a precious rage has problems. Reading comments on the Pro14 it appears you get hounded off the forum if you post anything other than fawning adoration.

This is the first time EVER I have agreed with Cyril on here. He makes a point.

His point was useless! That's why I hounded Cyril off. I'll do it again too if he attempts one more sentence of criticism. I don't mind someone with a complaint but people disagreeing with me for disagreement's sake is a big no-no!

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by marty2086 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:32 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
Cyril wrote: Reading comments on the Pro14 it appears you get hounded off the forum if you post anything other than fawning adoration.

Pretty much

Didn't you post an article that failed to hold up to published fact? Not to mention complaints about eirSports getting the rights to games hosted in Ireland? Rolling Eyes

I can post whatever article I want.

As for EirSports - I can have any opinion on them I want.

Laugh

Except it was about FACTS not opinions, when you complain because you lack a basic understanding of things then get proving wrong about yet still complain, it's a bit ironic that complain about others challenging your understanding given you post factually incorrect articles merely because they validate your opinion and views Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Posts : 10137
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by RugbyFan100 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:38 am

marty2086 wrote:

Except it was about FACTS not opinions, when you complain because you lack a basic understanding of things then get proving wrong about yet still complain, it's a bit ironic that complain about others challenging your understanding given you post factually incorrect articles merely because they validate your opinion and views Rolling Eyes

The only trouble is, you'd pull the old fake news card with whatever article I posted Marty.

I'm sure if I claimed planet Earth is round you'd try and claim it was flat.




RugbyFan100

Posts : 1147
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:39 am

SecretFly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Cyril wrote:Any competition that has fans unable to take any sort of comment or criticism without flying into a precious rage has problems. Reading comments on the Pro14 it appears you get hounded off the forum if you post anything other than fawning adoration.

This is the first time EVER I have agreed with Cyril on here. He makes a point.

His point was useless!  That's why I hounded Cyril off.  I'll do it again too if he attempts one more sentence of criticism.  I don't mind someone with a complaint but people disagreeing with me for disagreement's sake is a big no-no!

You are wrong.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18007
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LordDowlais on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:40 am

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Quite ironic that you say that given that your argument is that it's out of the public eye because you don't hear anything on the morning bulletin before you go to work, even though you have been away for a chunk of the time it would be talked about

Watch a lot of BBC Wales do you ?

I do actually, my iPlayer was set to Wales up until a few days ago, Back in Time for the Factory is an interesting watch


Of course you do. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Posts : 12414
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by marty2086 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:40 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Except it was about FACTS not opinions, when you complain because you lack a basic understanding of things then get proving wrong about yet still complain, it's a bit ironic that complain about others challenging your understanding given you post factually incorrect articles merely because they validate your opinion and views Rolling Eyes

The only trouble is, you'd pull the old fake news card with whatever article I posted Marty.

I'm sure if I claimed planet Earth is round you'd try and claim it was flat.



picard

Except I used facts, you know...actual real printed figures from one of the actual organisations rather than figures pulled out of thin air with no substance other than the fact someone bothered printing it

marty2086

Posts : 10137
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by marty2086 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:41 am

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Quite ironic that you say that given that your argument is that it's out of the public eye because you don't hear anything on the morning bulletin before you go to work, even though you have been away for a chunk of the time it would be talked about

Watch a lot of BBC Wales do you ?

I do actually, my iPlayer was set to Wales up until a few days ago, Back in Time for the Factory is an interesting watch


Of course you do. Rolling Eyes

So you asked the question then dismissed the answer when you don't like it?

marty2086

Posts : 10137
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by BamBam on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:44 am

Careful, don't disagree with Dowlais again or you'll get banned for bullying

BamBam

Posts : 13921
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by marty2086 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:45 am

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Quite ironic that you say that given that your argument is that it's out of the public eye because you don't hear anything on the morning bulletin before you go to work, even though you have been away for a chunk of the time it would be talked about

Watch a lot of BBC Wales do you ?

I do actually, my iPlayer was set to Wales up until a few days ago, Back in Time for the Factory is an interesting watch


Of course you do. Rolling Eyes

So you asked the question then dismissed the answer when you don't like it?

Saying that though, it still holds true that you saying you haven't seen something doesn't mean it isn't there. Others consume their media from more than BBC Wales and beyond their morning bulletin

marty2086

Posts : 10137
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by marty2086 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:46 am

BamBam wrote:Careful, don't disagree with Dowlais again or you'll get banned for bullying

Don't be saying that, if he doesn't see it sure it isn't there that's how it works

marty2086

Posts : 10137
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by RugbyFan100 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Except it was about FACTS not opinions, when you complain because you lack a basic understanding of things then get proving wrong about yet still complain, it's a bit ironic that complain about others challenging your understanding given you post factually incorrect articles merely because they validate your opinion and views Rolling Eyes

The only trouble is, you'd pull the old fake news card with whatever article I posted Marty.

I'm sure if I claimed planet Earth is round you'd try and claim it was flat.



picard

Except I used facts, you know...actual real printed figures from one of the actual organisations rather than figures pulled out of thin air with no substance other than the fact someone bothered printing it

No. You are unable to take on board an example, a hypothetical scenario. It disproved your agenda and proved you wrong / misinformed / ignorant. So you said it wasn't "fact". Because nobody on this board could prove it has happenned. You seem to continuosly do this. If we all require written statements to back up our posts then this message board and others are redundant.

Then you completely misread another set of figures as you're knowledge on the subject is so poor. But you wriggle out of it, and everything else by posting "this is factless".

You get round this by constantly bleating "this is not fact". You're the Donald Trump of 606v2.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1147
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:50 am

Okay...since fake news came up.... I'll throw this in here. I was going to place it somewhere else (no, not up my ass!)

Looking at something called Morning Europe (News show) this morning and the newsreader said this:

"Half of all Orca, Killer Whales, are set to die from extinction."

???

This was a real heading on a real legit news channel. The millennial zombies will have their Protest groups up and running with the habitual Black tee shirts emblazoned with: Save Extinction from Death!

No more Extinction! No more Extinction! No more Extinction!

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by carpet baboon on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:51 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Except it was about FACTS not opinions, when you complain because you lack a basic understanding of things then get proving wrong about yet still complain, it's a bit ironic that complain about others challenging your understanding given you post factually incorrect articles merely because they validate your opinion and views Rolling Eyes

The only trouble is, you'd pull the old fake news card with whatever article I posted Marty.

I'm sure if I claimed planet Earth is round you'd try and claim it was flat.




The earth isn't round.

carpet baboon

Posts : 1939
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by marty2086 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:52 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Except it was about FACTS not opinions, when you complain because you lack a basic understanding of things then get proving wrong about yet still complain, it's a bit ironic that complain about others challenging your understanding given you post factually incorrect articles merely because they validate your opinion and views Rolling Eyes

The only trouble is, you'd pull the old fake news card with whatever article I posted Marty.

I'm sure if I claimed planet Earth is round you'd try and claim it was flat.



picard

Except I used facts, you know...actual real printed figures from one of the actual organisations rather than figures pulled out of thin air with no substance other than the fact someone bothered printing it

No. You are unable to take on board an example, a hypothetical scenario. It disproved your agenda and proved you wrong / misinformed / ignorant. So you said it wasn't "fact". Because nobody on this board could prove it has happenned. You seem to continuosly do this. If we all require written statements to back up our posts then this message board and others are redundant.

Then you completely misread another set of figures as you're knowledge on the subject is so poor. But you wriggle out of it, and everything else by posting "this is factless".

You get round this by constantly bleating "this is not fact". You're the Donald Trump of 606v2.

A hypothetical scenario? So saying someone spends x is hypothetical? Erm

I think you need to learn the meaning of words before using them, if you post an article that says someone spends a certain amount of money yet one of said organisations own figures to be false I'm at fault because you just accept things that validate your opinion?

marty2086

Posts : 10137
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by RugbyFan100 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:53 am

marty2086 wrote:

A hypothetical scenario? So saying someone spends x is hypothetical? Erm

I think you need to learn the meaning of words before using them, if you post an article that says someone spends a certain amount of money yet one of said organisations own figures to be false I'm at fault because you just accept things that validate your opinion?

No, you're at fault because of your poor knowledge on the subject.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 1147
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 9:54 am

RugbyFan100 wrote: You're the Donald Trump of 606v2.

Careful. That might make you the CNN. Not exactly a rapturous paraqon of journalistic integrity in the Fake News wars.

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:02 am

Hmmm, the boxers must be in their corners. Not surprised. That was a tough round for both.... cuts under the eyes.

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by marty2086 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:05 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

A hypothetical scenario? So saying someone spends x is hypothetical? Erm

I think you need to learn the meaning of words before using them, if you post an article that says someone spends a certain amount of money yet one of said organisations own figures to be false I'm at fault because you just accept things that validate your opinion?

No, you're at fault because of your poor knowledge on the subject.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Need to catch my breath now

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Sorry that's just too funny

You've become of a parody now


marty2086

Posts : 10137
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by Brendan on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:07 am

So after reading all the stuff what I am getting is

Finish 4/5th isn't traditionally being strong (having won HC & league) and were usually talked about in big team terms

The bottom teams are still rubbish in the league even though teams are doing better in Europe and against the top teams in the league. If you send a week team unless you are Leinster you will be beat well as shown by Connacht, Kings, Munster, Glasgow this year and last year even more so.

Teams take the League serious it's not HC days anymore. BBC is also not the only media and you can watch so much of the league on YouTube within a day

Brendan

Posts : 1948
Join date : 2012-04-08
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:19 am

Brendan wrote:So after reading all the stuff what I am getting is

Finish 4/5th isn't traditionally being strong (having won HC & league) and were usually talked about in big team terms

The bottom teams are still rubbish in the league even though teams are doing better in Europe and against the top teams in the league.  If you send a week team unless you are Leinster you will be beat well as shown by Connacht, Kings, Munster, Glasgow this year and last year even more so.

Teams take the League serious it's not HC days anymore.  BBC is also not the only media and you can watch so much of the league on YouTube within a day

I think you missed two points:

1) Everyone's dad is bigger than everyone else's
2) Fly is always wrong.

LondonTiger

Posts : 18007
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:24 am

I'm right in my own personal safe space continuum paradigm!  

And I'm going to start suing people if they keep abusing me with a non-diversity-tolerant word 'Wrong'

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:30 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Here in Wales, BBC Wales were always advertising Friday night games. So, if you were watching BBC Wales, for what ever reason, at some point you would come across an advert a few minuets long, with some Pro14 montage and the game on Scrum V on Friday night, that was every day, most of the time.

Everybody would know about it, everybody was ready for it, it was exposing the league. Whether you watched it or not was up to you, but you would know about it. It is now out of the public eye. nobody knows about it, unless you look for it. For me it's a worry.

I have a few issues with this.

First of all, BBC Wales didn't do as great a job of advertising the league as you make out. There were several occasions where they'd list the weekend fixtures on Friday's Wales Today sports bit, but not bother to mention that there was live coverage of one of those matches over on BBC Two later that evening. It was really quite something. Why wouldn't you want the viewers to know, when you're the broadcaster?

Secondly, they do still mention the games on BBC Wales, of course they do. They're not leaving it out of their sports bulletins out of spite. Saying 'It is now out of the public eye, nobody knows about it' is clearly untrue.

Finally, I'd like to think that most people have other sources of information about the world around them than BBC Wales.

I'm sorry, I know you have a right to your opinion, and I respect that, but I do do not agree with any of what you said, not one jot.

I think you are just disagreeing, for disagreeing sake.

The problem, Dowlais, is that it's not opinion but fact. It's a fact that BBC Wales sometimes (three times that I remember) didn't mention on Wales Today that there would be live coverage of one of the PRO14 matches they'd just mentioned over on BBC Two Wales. It's a fact too that they still preview and report on the regions' matches.

There's no disagreeing with facts.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22770
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 39
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LordDowlais on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:31 am

Brendan, I think we need to look at things in perspective here. The Pro14 in my opinion is potentially a great tournament.

At the moment, it is far from being that. It is not competitive enough. Very rare do you see an away win, this season though has been a bit of an anomaly. Perhaps things are changing.

But far to often, we see teams only putting out their strongest sides at home, and teams concentrating on Europe.

I was talking to an Irish guy when I was in France last week, I would just like to add I was paying about £13 a pint in Paris, robbery. He was a Leinster fan, he said he was fed up of going to games, and watching them be more or less finished by half time.

We also agreed, that the league should be doing more to showcase itself, there are 5 countries involved, 6 if you split Northern Ireland from Ireland and do not class them as the same union.

Surely the league could be hyping the games up more, get the juices flowing, spark the interest between countries, creating rivalries, I just don't think enough is being done.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12414
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LordDowlais on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:31 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Here in Wales, BBC Wales were always advertising Friday night games. So, if you were watching BBC Wales, for what ever reason, at some point you would come across an advert a few minuets long, with some Pro14 montage and the game on Scrum V on Friday night, that was every day, most of the time.

Everybody would know about it, everybody was ready for it, it was exposing the league. Whether you watched it or not was up to you, but you would know about it. It is now out of the public eye. nobody knows about it, unless you look for it. For me it's a worry.

I have a few issues with this.

First of all, BBC Wales didn't do as great a job of advertising the league as you make out. There were several occasions where they'd list the weekend fixtures on Friday's Wales Today sports bit, but not bother to mention that there was live coverage of one of those matches over on BBC Two later that evening. It was really quite something. Why wouldn't you want the viewers to know, when you're the broadcaster?

Secondly, they do still mention the games on BBC Wales, of course they do. They're not leaving it out of their sports bulletins out of spite. Saying 'It is now out of the public eye, nobody knows about it' is clearly untrue.

Finally, I'd like to think that most people have other sources of information about the world around them than BBC Wales.

I'm sorry, I know you have a right to your opinion, and I respect that, but I do do not agree with any of what you said, not one jot.

I think you are just disagreeing, for disagreeing sake.

The problem, Dowlais, is that it's not opinion but fact. It's a fact that BBC Wales sometimes (three times that I remember) didn't mention on Wales Today that there would be live coverage of one of the PRO14 matches they'd just mentioned over on BBC Two Wales. It's a fact too that they still preview and report on the regions' matches.

There's no disagreeing with facts.

Just because you say they are facts, it does not mean that they are.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12414
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:36 am

That's true. They're facts whether I say they are or not.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22770
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 39
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LordDowlais on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:37 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:That's true. They're facts whether I say they are or not.

OK. OK

LordDowlais

Posts : 12414
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:38 am

LordDowlais wrote:

We also agreed, that the league should be doing more to showcase itself, there are 5 countries involved, 6 if you split Northern Ireland from Ireland and do not class them as the same union.


Breathtaking swings at logic. Sorry, Lord, but what the hell is happening to humanity. 6 countries if we deny the truth that Ulster rugby (three of it's Counties in the Republic) ARE in the same Union as the other Provinces.

Yes, let's toss around fantasy numbers and I'm very much looking forward to the Crusaders v Leinster game at the weekend.

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by BamBam on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:38 am

Oh the fecking irony Laugh Laugh

BamBam

Posts : 13921
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LordDowlais on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:43 am

SecretFly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

We also agreed, that the league should be doing more to showcase itself, there are 5 countries involved, 6 if you split Northern Ireland from Ireland and do not class them as the same union.


Breathtaking swings at logic.  Sorry, Lord, but what the hell is happening to humanity.  6 countries if we deny the truth that Ulster rugby (three of it's Counties in the Republic) ARE in the same Union as the other Provinces.

Yes, let's toss around fantasy numbers and I'm very much looking forward to the Crusaders v Leinster game at the weekend.

Ulster come under the same union as Munster, Connacht & Leinster don't they ?

What I mean is, would you be happy over there to call a match between Ulster and any of the other three as a mini international between N Ireland and Ireland ?

Or do you call it an inter pro game ? Or do you call it an all Ireland game ?

How would you hype the game up ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 12414
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:49 am

I wouldn't hype it as a N Ireland v Ireland game, Lord, that's for sure.  We're trying to unify ourselves in friendship and brotherhood, not divide ourselves on silly 'hyping' - plus Ulster is a Province and like I said, three of them (counties) are in the Republic.  

So instead I might hype it as maybe Prod v Taig?


Last edited by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by BamBam on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:50 am

You'd call it Ulster v Leinster and let the historic rivalry between two teams do the rest

BamBam

Posts : 13921
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:54 am

BamBam wrote:You'd call it Ulster v Leinster and let the historic rivalry between two teams do the rest

How do you think Saracens are going to do in Pro14 this year Bam, now that I have you here? They did ok last season, unfortunate about the away game to Zebre though.

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LordDowlais on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:57 am

SecretFly wrote:I wouldn't hype it as a N Ireland v Ireland game, Lord, that's for sure.  We're trying to unify ourselves in friendship and brotherhood, not divide ourselves on silly 'hyping' - plus Ulster is a Province and like I said, three of them (counties) are in the Republic.  

So instead I might hype it as maybe Prod v Taig?

Yes. That is why in rugby circles, and for the sanity of rugby, and rugby alone, I call the Irish provinces just that, Irish. There is not a Northern Irish rugby team, just Ireland. It could be very sensitive. There are 6 countries involved, but for the sake of rugby, and rugby only, I will say 5.


LordDowlais

Posts : 12414
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:05 am

SecretFly wrote:I'm right in my own personal safe space continuum paradigm!  

And I'm going to start suing people if they keep abusing me with a non-diversity-tolerant word 'Wrong'

Apologies, how about:

2) SecretFly is always wrong a prime proponent of the utilisation of alternative facts, a completely valid application of his bombastic unique approach to world affairs. cake

LondonTiger

Posts : 18007
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by marty2086 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:05 am

LordDowlais wrote:
SecretFly wrote:I wouldn't hype it as a N Ireland v Ireland game, Lord, that's for sure.  We're trying to unify ourselves in friendship and brotherhood, not divide ourselves on silly 'hyping' - plus Ulster is a Province and like I said, three of them (counties) are in the Republic.  

So instead I might hype it as maybe Prod v Taig?

Yes. That is why in rugby circles, and for the sanity of rugby, and rugby alone, I call the Irish provinces just that, Irish. There is not a Northern Irish rugby team, just Ireland. It could be very sensitive. There are 6 countries involved, but for the sake of rugby, and rugby only, I will say 5.


Except NI isn't actually a country

marty2086

Posts : 10137
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:05 am

Lord...the point you are making is a good one, even if I don't agree with the methodology of your argument.

So I'll say this - the Pro14 Does have a strong marketing identity, it Does involve the idea of Nation against Nation. That's already quite evident in the classic at this stage sporting enmity that often jumps up between Irish and Welsh posters. That's a good thing to have such a passionate bite of vitriol (in sporting terms) between us. That's what you are alluding to but then, when the tension is there people don't often appreciate that the energy from the disagreements is a good thing for Pro14 - there is a real 'International' tension about it.

But I repeat, that hype already exists. A Welsh fan knows he's Welsh, and a South African fan knows he's Munster...

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by BamBam on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:08 am

SecretFly wrote:
BamBam wrote:You'd call it Ulster v Leinster and let the historic rivalry between two teams do the rest

How do you think Saracens are going to do in Pro14 this year Bam, now that I have you here?  They did ok last season, unfortunate about the away game to Zebre though.

Struggle against Leinster and spank the rest most likely

Run

BamBam

Posts : 13921
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:08 am

LondonTiger wrote:
SecretFly wrote:I'm right in my own personal safe space continuum paradigm!  

And I'm going to start suing people if they keep abusing me with a non-diversity-tolerant word 'Wrong'

Apologies, how about:

2) SecretFly is always wrong a prime proponent of the utilisation of alternative facts, a completely valid application of his bombastic unique approach to world affairs. cake

Better. That was close..... nearly had a Grade 4.B6-T meltdown.

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by LordDowlais on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:34 am

SecretFly wrote:Lord...the point you are making is a good one, even if I don't agree with the methodology of your argument.

So I'll say this - the Pro14 Does have a strong marketing identity, it Does involve the idea of Nation against Nation.  That's already quite evident in the classic at this stage sporting enmity that often jumps up between Irish and Welsh posters.  That's a good thing to have such a passionate bite of vitriol (in sporting terms) between us.  That's what you are alluding to but then, when the tension is there people don't often appreciate that the energy from the disagreements is a good thing for Pro14 - there is a real 'International' tension about it.

But I repeat, that hype already exists.  A Welsh fan knows he's Welsh, and a South African fan knows he's Munster...

To be fare, that is only one example I used to hype the league up a bit more, there are other things that could be done. I just do not think the league does enough to drum up the interest between all the countries involved. If i was grading the league, I would give it a D+.

We need to be aiming for the stars here.

LordDowlais

Posts : 12414
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 1:12 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Lord...the point you are making is a good one, even if I don't agree with the methodology of your argument.

So I'll say this - the Pro14 Does have a strong marketing identity, it Does involve the idea of Nation against Nation.  That's already quite evident in the classic at this stage sporting enmity that often jumps up between Irish and Welsh posters.  That's a good thing to have such a passionate bite of vitriol (in sporting terms) between us.  That's what you are alluding to but then, when the tension is there people don't often appreciate that the energy from the disagreements is a good thing for Pro14 - there is a real 'International' tension about it.

But I repeat, that hype already exists.  A Welsh fan knows he's Welsh, and a South African fan knows he's Munster...

To be fare, that is only one example I used to hype the league up a bit more, there are other things that could be done. I just do not think the league does enough to drum up the interest between all the countries involved. If i was grading the league, I would give it a D+.

We need to be aiming for the stars here.

Yes, but I’ve often asked meself - what is the stars - what is the stars?
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5889
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 57
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by The Oracle on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 1:27 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Lord...the point you are making is a good one, even if I don't agree with the methodology of your argument.

So I'll say this - the Pro14 Does have a strong marketing identity, it Does involve the idea of Nation against Nation.  That's already quite evident in the classic at this stage sporting enmity that often jumps up between Irish and Welsh posters.  That's a good thing to have such a passionate bite of vitriol (in sporting terms) between us.  That's what you are alluding to but then, when the tension is there people don't often appreciate that the energy from the disagreements is a good thing for Pro14 - there is a real 'International' tension about it.

But I repeat, that hype already exists.  A Welsh fan knows he's Welsh, and a South African fan knows he's Munster...

To be fare, that is only one example I used to hype the league up a bit more, there are other things that could be done. I just do not think the league does enough to drum up the interest between all the countries involved. If i was grading the league, I would give it a D+.

We need to be aiming for the stars here.

Yes, but I’ve often asked meself - what is the stars - what is the stars?

It’s a working men’s club in Merthyr. £1.20 a pint and free ham rolls on a Saturday night. LD is annoyed that they can’t show the games there on free to air anymore. I think he’s saying the league needs to aim for The Stars working men’s club in terms of their free to air tv offer.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1181
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 1:32 pm

You climb up stars if'n you're from Norn Iron.

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by BamBam on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 1:49 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Lord...the point you are making is a good one, even if I don't agree with the methodology of your argument.

So I'll say this - the Pro14 Does have a strong marketing identity, it Does involve the idea of Nation against Nation.  That's already quite evident in the classic at this stage sporting enmity that often jumps up between Irish and Welsh posters.  That's a good thing to have such a passionate bite of vitriol (in sporting terms) between us.  That's what you are alluding to but then, when the tension is there people don't often appreciate that the energy from the disagreements is a good thing for Pro14 - there is a real 'International' tension about it.

But I repeat, that hype already exists.  A Welsh fan knows he's Welsh, and a South African fan knows he's Munster...

To be fare, that is only one example I used to hype the league up a bit more, there are other things that could be done. I just do not think the league does enough to drum up the interest between all the countries involved. If i was grading the league, I would give it a D+.

We need to be aiming for the stars here.

Yes, but I’ve often asked meself - what is the stars - what is the stars?

It’s a working men’s club in Merthyr. £1.20 a pint and free ham rolls on a Saturday night. LD is annoyed that they can’t show the games there on free to air anymore. I think he’s saying the league needs to aim for The Stars working men’s club in terms of their free to air tv offer.

That's feckin extortion! Now I know why he's so angry all the time

BamBam

Posts : 13921
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by marty2086 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 2:17 pm



Bath 'rotating extensively' this weekend for their trip to Sarries, luckily they're not resting players and devaluing the league Whistle

marty2086

Posts : 10137
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by Pot Hale on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 5:14 pm

SecretFly wrote:You climb up stars if'n you're from Norn Iron.

Yiz are all heathens. O’Casey is roiling in his grave.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 5889
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 57
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by The Great Aukster on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 9:51 am

Brendan wrote:So after reading all the stuff what I am getting is

Finish 4/5th isn't traditionally being strong (having won HC & league) and were usually talked about in big team terms

The bottom teams are still rubbish in the league even though teams are doing better in Europe and against the top teams in the league.  If you send a week team unless you are Leinster you will be beat well as shown by Connacht, Kings, Munster, Glasgow this year and last year even more so.

Teams take the League serious it's not HC days anymore.  BBC is also not the only media and you can watch so much of the league on YouTube within a day

You can - but it's not 'YouTube Wales'

The Great Aukster

Posts : 4674
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by The Oracle on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 3:20 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Brendan wrote:So after reading all the stuff what I am getting is

Finish 4/5th isn't traditionally being strong (having won HC & league) and were usually talked about in big team terms

The bottom teams are still rubbish in the league even though teams are doing better in Europe and against the top teams in the league.  If you send a week team unless you are Leinster you will be beat well as shown by Connacht, Kings, Munster, Glasgow this year and last year even more so.

Teams take the League serious it's not HC days anymore.  BBC is also not the only media and you can watch so much of the league on YouTube within a day

You can - but it's not 'YouTube Wales'

Plus you don’t get YouTube when you press 101 on your tv handset. It’s disgusting and will be the end of rugby in Wales.
avatar
The Oracle

Posts : 1181
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 7:19 pm

Can you imagine the “people of Wales’ favourite”, doing a trailer for Dragons v Cardiff Blues next week, like what freesports just did? Not a chance. Really good to see. Shame the people of Wales are tied up watching RGC v Merthyr on repeat, seemingly.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2035
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by SecretFly on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 8:53 pm

Okay, who has the sense-of-humour allergy?

SecretFly

Posts : 28206
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Shocking standard of the Pro14

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum