The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EPCR Glasgow Warriors v Saracens Sunday 14th October

+24
Rugby Fan
LordDowlais
Brendan
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
TJ
reallybored
carpet baboon
Heaf
BamBam
Duty281
lostinwales
propdavid_london
Bazz
bsando
Eejit
VinceWLB
RDW
jimbopip
formerly known as Sam
George Carlin
LondonTiger
EST
BigGee
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

EPCR Glasgow Warriors v Saracens Sunday 14th October Empty EPCR Glasgow Warriors v Saracens Sunday 14th October

Post by BigGee Mon 08 Oct 2018, 11:12 am

Glasgow Warriors v Saracens
Scotstoun Stadium
Glasgow

Sunday 14th October
KO 15.15

Live on BT Sports

Well it does not really get any harder for Glasgow than this, an opening fixture against the two time Euro champs and probably the co-favourites to win this year, who have been in pretty awesome form this year and who gave Glasgow a bit of a lesson on our one and only quarter fibal appearance a couple of years ago!

Still after taking a very deep breath and realising what we are up against you do realise that there is always hope.

If you are going to play them, best play them first up and at home when there may be a little bit of euro rust and an awareness that they under performed (by their own standards last year).

Having said that, if Glasgow are under the impression that Sarries may not turn up, they are probably in for a very long afternoon. This is a game they are going to have to win and not just expect Sarries to lose.

Glasgow can cut any team apart when they string together their attack, but to beat Sarries, probably the best defensive team in Europe, they are going to have to put together an 80 minute effort that we have not really seen for a couple of years from this team. It has been there in patches, usually against better teams but one half just won't do it this time, it needs to be for the whole game and that is both going to be tough and somewhat out of character from what we have witnessed so far this season.

Injuries to Hoggy and Zander Fagerson apart we go into the same in reasonable shape. We have won our last two games and unlike last year when we started off our campaign with a long away trip to Exeter on the back of a South African trip (and consequently looked knackered) DR has been able to rest key players ahead of the game, so no excuses on that front this time around. Glasgow will also be clear underdogs and in truth there is not much expectation on us to win the game, this could also potentially play into our favour. WE also do have a few of our flair players coming into a rich vein of form, which is promising.

Whatever way it pans out, it should be a great sunday afternoon at Scotstoun. Here is my stab at the team:

Kibble
Brown
Rae
Gray
Harley
Wilson
Fagerson M
Gibbins
Horne
Hastings
Seymour
Dunbar
Jones H
DTH
Jackson

Allen
Turner
Nicol
Cummings
Ashe
Price
Horne
Niko

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

EPCR Glasgow Warriors v Saracens Sunday 14th October Empty Re: EPCR Glasgow Warriors v Saracens Sunday 14th October

Post by EST Mon 08 Oct 2018, 11:33 am

Unfortunately, I can't see anything other than a bit of a doing here. DR has definitely adapted his philosophy, and we come into this game without having flogged our front-line players. However, the recruitment has failed to address the fundamental problems which existed last year - we don't have the brawn in the back 5 of the scrum to compete against a team like Saracens.

My only hope is that Sarries only just won against Quins, with a nearly full strength team and we catch them on a bad day.

We're all doomed I reckon.

EST

Back to top Go down

EPCR Glasgow Warriors v Saracens Sunday 14th October Empty Re: EPCR Glasgow Warriors v Saracens Sunday 14th October

Post by LondonTiger Mon 08 Oct 2018, 11:48 am

Saracens have been playing well this season, but it should be noted that they have been very much a second half team with only the Gloucester game seeing them have a fast start. In the other five matches they have had small half time leads in two, level in one and behind in the other two at half time.

They are helped by the strength in depth they have (other than front row where they do have a small injury crisis). Against Quins they were able to bring on Itoje, Schalk Burger, Wigglesworth, Bosch and Maitland (and rest Liam Williams). This strength helped them to edge towards the win in a game they dominated yet created not too much in the face of a dogged defence.

It should be noted that Sarries have been picking massive back rows, which could be exploited by a quick side. Even if turnovers are not achieved, slowing down the ball will open up opportunities for an intercept against a side that at times attacks very flat.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 08 Oct 2018, 12:17 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Saracens have been playing well this season, but it should be noted that they have been very much a second half team with only the Gloucester game seeing them have a fast start. In the other five matches they have had small half time leads in two, level in one and behind in the other two at half time.

They are helped by the strength in depth they have (other than front row where they do have a small injury crisis). Against Quins they were able to bring on Itoje, Schalk Burger, Wigglesworth, Bosch and Maitland (and rest Liam Williams). This strength helped them to edge towards the win in a game they dominated yet created not too much in the face of a dogged defence.

It should be noted that Sarries have been picking massive back rows, which could be exploited by a quick side. Even if turnovers are not achieved, slowing down the ball will open up opportunities for an intercept against a side that at times attacks very flat.

Thanks for the snippets of info LT, hopefully Dave Rennie and the rest of the Glasgow analysts are reading the forum and will pick this up!

Glasgow are very much a second half team as well interestingly and also have a bit of a front row ( or TH at least problem) so maybe that will even itself out a bit.

Winning this game will be a very tall order for Glasgow, but I believe we can raise our game and be really competitive. If we are still in the game with 10 mins to go then who knows what could happen. Glasgow are usually a very good side at home and will feel they have a lot to prove.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:42 pm

Unfortunately, Hogg and Fagerson are very important players to Glasgow and the absence of both inevitably leaves large gaps in the side.

Glasgow will either get absolutely gubbed in this match because their forwards will be unable to win any ball or they will manage to score more tries than they concede because the backline has shown it can be absolutely sparkling. I am confident that no defence Sarries can put out will be impregnable and ultimately Saracens have to acknowledge the threat of playing against a side with such a high risk, unstructured and lethal attacking game. It's difficult to plan defensively against that.

So in summary, I am not confident in the slightest that the soapdodgers can win against a well oiled RoboGym machine which is playing to form. However, it should be a hell of an entertaining game and if I was a neutral, this would be the one that I would switch on.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 08 Oct 2018, 1:54 pm

All sides in the GP are conceding tries this season as they seem to be concentrating more on attack. Sarries already conceded 15 (scored 29) so certainly should be opportunities for Glasgow, even if the side is currently not as good as the one that demolished us a couple of years ago. 

The two tries conceded by Sarries this weekend are amusing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/comments/9m4bam/danny_care_try_v_saracens/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4-vPJCEUH0

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 08 Oct 2018, 3:09 pm

Saracens are suffering from having no recognisable openside available to them. They are very much a blunt force up front. Admittedly it's one hell of a blunt force but they are missing a scavenger and teams are attacking the Sarries breakdown this season with some success. They are a big pack as LT has already said, get in before they get there and you can cause havoc.

Glasgow will need their forwards to be on their A game though because Sarries physicality is still right up there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 08 Oct 2018, 4:27 pm

Here's the DR conundrum; in his time in charge at Scotstoun no Pro 14 team has left here, after a league match, with as much as a bonus point. That's right in competitive league fixtures all comers have gone away with nothing, nada, heehaw. However, in the play offs Scarlets gave us a very public spanking. Leinster Ladyboys beat us in the Euro cup last season home and away. So the conundrum seems to be; why are we unbeatable at home except when it comes to crunch matches?

Hopefully, Sunday will see Glasgow front up and stand up to the Sarries pack and the backs show everyone what they can do. The Dr doctrine of high tempo/high risk running rugby can wear down the best defences and can tire out big packs by the last twenty. However, we need to be in the game after 60 minutes for this to happen and our scrum needs to be solid and not the penalty machine it was against Zebre. Mako Vunipola versus Darcy Rae. I'll be watching that from behind the sofa. Actually since I don't have the required subscription I probably wont be watching it at all.

Kebble
Brown
Rae
Gray
Cummings
Wilson
Ashe
Gibbins
Price
Hastings
Seymour
Dunbar
Jones H
DTH
Jackson

Allen
Turner
Nicol
Harley
Fagerson
Horne jnr
Horne
Niko

I think that Glasgow's record of never having lost a competitive match to English opposition at Scotstoun could be at risk here. If we play like we did against the Kings then Sarries could run up a cricket score. If we play as we can... Braveheart Braveheart Braveheart

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 08 Oct 2018, 7:26 pm

jimbopip wrote:
Here's the DR conundrum; in his time in charge at Scotstoun no Pro 14 team has left here, after a league match, with as much as a bonus point. That's right in competitive league fixtures all comers have gone away with nothing, nada, heehaw. However, in the play offs Scarlets gave us a very public spanking. Leinster Ladyboys beat us in the Euro cup last season home and away. So the conundrum seems to be; why are we unbeatable at home except when it comes to crunch matches?

Hopefully, Sunday will see Glasgow front up and stand up to the Sarries pack and the backs show everyone what they can do.  The Dr doctrine of high tempo/high risk  running rugby can wear down the best defences and can tire out big packs by the last twenty. However, we need to be in the game after 60 minutes for this to happen and our scrum needs to be solid and not the penalty machine it was against Zebre. Mako Vunipola versus Darcy Rae. I'll be watching that from behind the sofa. Actually since I don't have the required subscription I probably wont be watching it at all.

Kebble
Brown
Rae
Gray
Cummings
Wilson
Ashe
Gibbins
Price
Hastings
Seymour
Dunbar
Jones H
DTH
Jackson

Allen
Turner
Nicol
Harley
Fagerson
Horne jnr
Horne
Niko

I think that Glasgow's record of never having lost a competitive match to English opposition at Scotstoun could be at risk here. If we play like we did against the Kings then Sarries could run up a cricket score. If we play as we can... Braveheart Braveheart Braveheart
Just compared Cummins to Skelton or Kruis, Ashe to Vunipola the Larger and Rae to Vunipola the Smaller. A reasonable amount of pee came out.

Can't believe that weegie pack will be competitive (although the scrum should be) - Gibbons and Wilson need to have huge games.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 08 Oct 2018, 7:52 pm

George Carlin wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Hopefully, Sunday will see Glasgow front up and stand up to the Sarries pack and the backs show everyone what they can do.  The Dr doctrine of high tempo/high risk  running rugby can wear down the best defences and can tire out big packs by the last twenty. However, we need to be in the game after 60 minutes for this to happen and our scrum needs to be solid and not the penalty machine it was against Zebre. Mako Vunipola versus Darcy Rae. I'll be watching that from behind the sofa. Actually since I don't have the required subscription I probably wont be watching it at all.

Kebble
Brown
Rae
Gray
Cummings
Wilson
Ashe
Gibbins
Price
Hastings
Seymour
Dunbar
Jones H
DTH
Jackson

Allen
Turner
Nicol
Harley
Fagerson
Horne jnr
Horne
Niko

Just compared Cummins to Skelton or Kruis, Ashe to Vunipola the Larger and Rae to Vunipola the Smaller. A reasonable amount of pee came out.

Can't believe that weegie pack will be competitive (although the scrum should be) - Gibbons and Wilson need to have huge games.
Is that not old age?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 08 Oct 2018, 8:10 pm

Ah but George, IF the pack stand square on and go toe to toe then it will only end one way. However, IF we don't give up cheap penalties at the scrum, IF Mr & Mrs Gibbins get to the breakdown first, IF we slow their ball down and allow Dunbar-Jones to line up their centres, IF we get quick ball and move their fat boys around the field for prolonged periods, IF we can hold onto the ball and build up some sustained pressure....

Then we might have a chance of nicking a Losing Bonus Point.

We're doomed....doomed I say.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 08 Oct 2018, 8:30 pm

When we beat Racing home and away in our successful (relatively) euro season, we hung onto the ball and kept it away from the big French boys. You would suspect a similar tactic needs to work if we are going to be successful this week.

Unfortunately hanging onto the ball is something that we have not done very well recently.

DR has taken the squad off to Largs to take the air and try and clear the mindset for this upcoming clash. It needs Test like intensity. This is where the coaches earn their money!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 08 Oct 2018, 9:20 pm

Is there an argument for Glasgow picking Peterson in the 2nd row?

I think they will need as much weight as they can in the front 8, that's when having someone like Vunisa would have come in handy, but i guess such players do not fit the philosophy of the club.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 08 Oct 2018, 9:25 pm

The problem with playing Saracens is, like the All Blacks, you can talk all you want about how to beat them but it's very difficult trying to implement that! 

I think Glasgow have enough flair to give them a bit of a scare but alas I think the Saracens juggernaut will just be too much leading to a comfortable Saracens win in the end. Great experience for Adam Hastings to test himself!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 08 Oct 2018, 9:49 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Is there an argument for Glasgow picking Peterson in the 2nd row?

I think they will need as much weight as they can in the front 8, that's when having someone like Vunisa would have come in handy, but i guess such players do not fit the philosophy of the club.

There is an argument for that, he played much better against Zebre last weekend and really used his bulk to good effect. Trouble is he has often just gone into his shell in the past on the occasions when he has been given the opportunity.

It comes down I guess to whether he really is worth another chance in a big game.

I suspect he needs to prove himself a bit more first.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 09 Oct 2018, 7:01 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Kebble
Brown
Rae
Gray
Cummings
Wilson
Ashe
Gibbins
Price
Hastings
Seymour
Dunbar
Jones H
DTH
Jackson

Allen
Turner
Nicol
Harley
Fagerson
Horne jnr
Horne
Niko

Is that not old age?
Yes, but I was hoping that we wouldn't dwell on that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 09 Oct 2018, 11:32 am

Saracens juggernaut or not, these are the games that matter and not running in 5 tries vs Zebre (no disrespect intended). I hope those in charge at Scotstoun keep that in mind when thinking about Mr Rennie's contract.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm

Glasgow Warriors have signed Petrus du Plessis from London Irish on a deal until the end of the season.

The experienced tight-head prop played for English Premiership side Saracens 158 times between 2009 and 2017. During that spell he won the Champions Cup twice and the English Premiership three times.

After leaving Saracens the South African went on to play 27 games for London Irish.

The 37-year-old, who has played 31 Champions Cup matches during an illustrious career, goes straight into the Warriors Heineken Champions Cup squad ahead of Sunday’s opening game against his former side, Saracens at Scotstoun.

Glasgow Warriors have signed Petrus du Plessis from London Irish on a deal until May 2019

He arrived in Glasgow yesterday and started training with his new teammates at a training camp in Largs this morning.

Speaking to Glasgow Warriors TV, Petrus du Plessis, said: “I’m very happy to be at Glasgow Warriors, this is a great club.

“It all happened very quickly - within three days I’m here, so I’m very excited to play in the Heineken Champions Cup and Guinness PRO14 this season.

“It’s exciting that my first game could be against my former club Saracens - you couldn’t write the script if you tried!

“I’ve heard the matchday experience at Scotstoun is fantastic, the crowd really gets behind the team, they’re vocal and they’re loud.

“Glasgow Warriors play a really expansive and physical game, which is great and I’ve only heard good things about the club from former players.”

Glasgow Warriors Head Coach, Dave Rennie added: “It’s great that we’ve been able to obtain someone of Petrus’ experience at such short notice.

“He has played rugby at the highest level, is a good man and a really solid set piece operator.

“With Zander (Fagerson) and Siua (Halanukonuka) injured he brings some much needed depth at tight-head.”

You get the feeling that he is going straight onto the bench for this weeks game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 09 Oct 2018, 1:08 pm

Love these 'safe' media soudbites.

How does one play a 'non-physical' game of rugby, exactly?

Still, props (er, as it were) to Rennie for sorting out some cover. No denying the pedigree.

Or, indeed, the fact that he's old enough to be George Horne's dad.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 09 Oct 2018, 2:49 pm

Petrus du Plessis looked really good while at Saracens, however his performances last season for LI seemed to suggest he was comfortably past his best and suffering a rapid decline in abilities. However once you need a replacement this late in the day not that many options available.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 09 Oct 2018, 2:50 pm

Du plessis! Wow, nice cover there! Totally unaware of his current form but just what Glasgow needed. He will be fantastic guy for Nicol and Rae to learn from and will definitely add some solidity in the front row whilst Internationals are on.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Oct 2018, 3:24 pm

Hopefully Du Plessis will see this as one last hurrah to finish his career off and he will rise to the challenge. It is hard to imagine that it was a lot of fun playing at LI last season, nor that the prospect of propping in the championship, for someone of his calibre, was really floating his boat.

I am sure that LI will be glad to get him off their payroll, he was not really achieving anything with them, thry are not really playing him and will be looking toward the future for next season in any case.

Time will tell I guess to see if he has anything left in the tank!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 09 Oct 2018, 7:21 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Petrus du Plessis looked really good while at Saracens, however his performances last season for LI seemed to suggest he was comfortably past his best and suffering a rapid decline in abilities. However once you need a replacement this late in the day not that many options available.

I think towards the end at Sarries they used him when they needed someone just to keep the scrum steady and a little old school work in the tight. Moved him on once options that offered more came through. That sort of limited front row option wasn't ever likely to work given how LI like to play.

He's well past his best now but he should keep the scrum solid. Sarries did have him for his golden years.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 09 Oct 2018, 7:58 pm

Great signing for Glasgow on such short notice, although i guess there were other candidates. At least he will get used to the plastic pitch very quickly!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Bazz Thu 11 Oct 2018, 3:02 pm

Good afternoon all.  

Saracens supporter here, looking forward to my first visit to Scotstoun on Sunday.  Hoping it's as much fun as when thousands of you turned Allianz Park blue and tartan a couple of seasons ago!

You've got a great signing in Petrus du Plessis (Parra).  Good luck to him!  Amazingly just a couple of weeks ago he played in Saracens colours again when he turned out for Saracens 'A' at Allianz Park!

On a practical matter, can anyone suggest the best way of getting to Scotstoun?  We're staying at the Grosvenor Hilton in the West End, opposite the Botanic Gardens.  It looks like a loooong walk to the stadium!  We'll drop in to The Crafty Pig (been there before, but not on a match day); their website says that they run a match-day bus, anyone know if that's true/up-to-date?

Cheers, see you on Sunday!  

Baz

P.S. Sunday is my missus' birthday, so be sure to confuse any Saracens-supporting ladies you see by wishing them Many Happy Returns!  I can just imagine the how-did-you-know look of amazement on her face if someone says it to her!

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 11 Oct 2018, 3:10 pm

]
Bazz wrote:Good afternoon all.  

You've got a great signing in Petrus du Plessis (Parra).  

So...is Parra handy? drumroll

I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 11 Oct 2018, 3:25 pm

Bazz, I apologise for hijacking your very sensible post. Hug

Firstly, the match at Allianze was a great rugby day out. Facilities at Scotstoun are not as good to be honest. However, if you're staying at the top of Byres Road you could do worse than walk down it to Ashton Lane and have a drink or meal at the Ubiquitous Chip. Then back on to Byres Road and and a quick pint in Tennants, a good selection of beers and you can get a cab from outside, not too expensive. If you are into local history walk down Byres Road from Tennants and have an ice cream or coffee from the University Café it is a classic. You could also take a quick walk around the University itself, it's worth seeing especially the Mackintosh house.

As far as I know the Crafty Pig still does the busses but I've never used them. Living in Essex means I don't get to too many home games. Very Happy

Try www.glasgowwarriors.com you might get a better answer there.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 11 Oct 2018, 4:02 pm

I don't live very close to Scotstoun these days as well, but whenever I go I get the train to Scotstoun Hill and it is a short walk from there. You could get it directly from Partick from where you are staying.

I have just got a sneaking feeling that I saw an email from the Warriors suggesting that there might be some train disruption on sunday, so that would be worth checking out beforehand.

If like me, and unlike Jimbo, you are to mean to take a cab, then there are plently of buses that go along Dumbarton Rd which will drop you off pretty close to the ground.

Hope you enjoy the match and I second all of Jim's suggestions of the things to do around the university area.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bazz Thu 11 Oct 2018, 4:51 pm

Great info people, will be sure to check out some of those establishments!

Hadn't though of getting a cab; marginal cost is minimal on top of the whole weekend, so that's what we'll probably do (more time to eat and drink beforehand!).

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 11 Oct 2018, 6:40 pm

Bazz, if you are at Byres Road you should walk round the University. The view from the front over the Clyde  is lovely and you can walk down to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery. Dali's Christ Of St John Of The Cross is not to be missed. If Mrs Bazz likes curry then Mother India is just across the road. If she is a fan of Deacon Blue then you can walk her along Kelvin Way and sing, " one day I can see us walking arm in arm down sheltered Kelvin Way, tripping and teasing and laughing and heading for the best part of the day"
Maximum brownie points. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:19 pm

Enjoy your trip Bazz! You're staying in a lovely part of town. Another +1 for Ashton Lane though I'm a big fan of The Wee Curry Shop which is a tiny little place above Jinty McGinty's. Probably one of the best curries i've ever had.

As for Sunday, its going to be a hell of a game. Sarries are a world class side, probably the second best in the world behind Leinster and they have to be one of the favourites for the tournament. That said, I don't care who it is but Glasgow at home should be taking four points from anyone that visits and anything else is simply not good enough. I, and many others on these boards have perhaps been hypercritical of Mr Rennie's decision making over the last 12 months but these games is where he's supposed to earn his money and if he ain't getting it done where it matters what the hell are the club paying for.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:24 pm

GLASGOW WARRIORS

• 15. Ruaridh Jackson, 
  • 14. Lee Jones, 
  • 13. Huw Jones, 
  • 12. Alex Dunbar, 
  • 11. DTH van der Merwe, 
  • 10. Adam Hastings, 
  • 9. Ali Price, 
  • 1. Oli Kebble, 
  • 2. Fraser Brown, 
  • 3. D'Arcy Rae, 
  • 4. Robert Harley, 
  • 5. Jonny Gray, 
  • 6. Ryan Wilson, 
  • 7. Callum Gibbins (c), 
  • 8. Matt Fagerson.

Replacements:

• 16. George Turner, 
  • 17. Alex Allan, 
  • 18. Petrus du Plessis, 
  • 19. Greg Peterson, 
  • 20. Chris Fusaro, 
  • 21. George Horne, 
  • 22. Peter Horne, 
  • 23. Rory Hughes,

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:25 pm

• 15. Alex Goode, 
  • 14. David Strettle, 
  • 13. Alex Lozowski, 
  • 12. Brad Barritt (c), 
  • 11. Sean Maitland, 
  • 10. Owen Farrell, 
  • 9. Richard Wigglesworth, 
  • 1. Mako Vunipola, 
  • 2. Jamie George, 
  • 3. Vincent Koch, 
  • 4. Will Skelton, 
  • 5. George Kruis, 
  • 6. Maro Itoje, 
  • 7. Michael Rhodes, 
  • 8. Billy Vunipola.

Replacements:

• 16. Christopher Tolofua, 
  • 17. Richard Barrington, 
  • 18. Titi Lamositele, 
  • 19. Nick Isiekwe, 
  • 20. Jackson Wray, 
  • 21. Ben Spencer, 
  • 22. Nick Tompkins, 
  • 23. Liam Williams,

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:27 pm

Teams up!!!

Kebble-Brown-Rae (Allen-Turner-Parra Handy)
BBB-Ickle Jonny (Oscar Peterson who may be called Lazarus if he finally comes good)
Fagerson Jr- Mrs Gibbins_- Stormzy (Fozzie)
Aldi Price ( Wee George)
Hastings (Furra Linee)
Dunbar-Jones
Seymour-Jacko-Jones (Rozza)

Some big calls there. Notably starting Rae with Para Handy as back up.
Mind you, Big Bad Bob taking on Itoje should be worth watching.
Fozzie benching means no let up in the pace in the final quarter.
Rozza rather than Niko probably means DR is looking for hard abrasive in your face running right to the end.

My gut feeling is this is a team that can win. WE ARE WARRIORS

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:28 pm

The quality on that Sarries bench really is astounding.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm

I thought Harley was a back rower?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:31 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I thought Harley was a back rower?

He is, but he's so terrifying no-one has told him any different.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:58 pm

jimbopip wrote:Teams up!!!

Kebble-Brown-Rae (Allen-Turner-Parra Handy)
BBB-Ickle Jonny (Oscar Peterson who may be called Lazarus if he finally comes good)
Fagerson Jr- Mrs Gibbins_- Stormzy (Fozzie)
Aldi Price ( Wee George)
Hastings (Furra Linee)
Dunbar-Jones
Seymour-Jacko-Jones (Rozza)

Some big calls there. Notably starting Rae with Para Handy as back up.
Mind you, Big Bad Bob taking on Itoje should be worth watching.
Fozzie benching means no let up in the pace in the final quarter.
Rozza rather than Niko probably means DR is looking for hard abrasive in your face running right to the end.

My gut feeling is this is a team that can win. WE ARE WARRIORS

Jim, Tommy S is not in the team, DTH and Lee Jones are the wingers with Hughes on the bench.

I had to do a double take on that one as well, just assumed that he would be. Not sure if he is injured or out for any other reason, I know he had a family bereavement but truth is as well that he has not been playing at 100% Tommy yet this season.

Rory Hughes actually played pretty well last weekend and probably gets his reward for that, you just feel that DR just does not quite trust Nico in the really important games.

Greg Peterson's redemption continues apace and he gets a bench spot over Cummings, who has not set the heather on fire this year yet unfortunately.

Price gets the call over Horne at SH, that one really was a 50:50, so no great complaints there and Georgie will surely have an impact.

Otherwise the team is as predicted, we do seem to have a better idea what our starting team is at the moment.

Saracens - what can you say, they look scary!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 12 Oct 2018, 1:08 pm

That Sarries back-row is huge, but as pointed out by others previously, is not designed to compete for the ball on the ground - more to just blast anybody out of the ruck that has the balls to compete. I think we can get some joy there, if we are quick to the breakdown.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Oct 2018, 1:09 pm

Callum Gibbins and Ryan Wilson both return to the Glasgow Warriors starting XV for their Heineken Champions Cup opener against Saracens at Scostoun this Sunday (kick-off 3.15pm, live on BT Sport).

Neither co-captain featured in last weekend’s 36-8 victory over Zebre and return refreshed for the visit of the reigning English Premiership champions.

Matt Fagerson retains his spot at Number 8 and Rob Harley also comes back into the starting line-up, joining Jonny Gray in the second-row.

Oli Kebble and D’Arcy Rae pack down either side of Fraser Brown completing the pack.

Ali Price partners Adam Hastings at half-back, the 22-year-old fly-half was awarded the McCrea Financial Services Warrior of the Month award last week following a hugely impressive start to the season.

Huw Jones was named Man of the Match against Zebre scoring an early try and is once again partnered with Alex Dunbar in midfield.

DTH van der Merwe will be looking to add to his 50 Glasgow Warriors tries as he is brought back into the starting XV. Lee Jones and Ruaridh Jackson join him in the back-three.

On the bench new signing Petrus du Plessis is in line to make his Glasgow debut against his former club.

Centurions Chris Fusaro and Pete Horne will look to bring some crucial experience to the game from the bench.

Glasgow Warriors Head Coach Dave Rennie said: “Saracens are a very big side, strong up front with massive ball carriers and defensively they bring a lot of line-speed.

“Their ability to play off their big men means they’re going to ask a lot of questions of us, which is exciting for us.

“We want to be playing at this level against the best sides in Europe and certainly Saracens are one of the best.”

Glasgow Warriors team to play Saracens in the Heineken Champions Cup at Scotstoun Stadium, Sunday 14 October, kick off 3.15pm - live on BT Sport 2. You can follow the game on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

1. Oli Kebble (14)
2. Fraser Brown (80)
3. D’Arcy Rae (45)
4. Rob Harley (189)
5. Jonny Gray (91)
6. Ryan Wilson (144) (CC)
7. Callum Gibbins (20) (CC)
8. Matt Fagerson (30)

9. Ali Price (61)
10. Adam Hastings (15)
11. DTH van der Merwe (105)
12. Alex Dunbar (116)
13. Huw Jones (11)
14. Lee Jones (78)
15. Ruaridh Jackson (140)

Replacements

16. George Turner (25)
17. Alex Allan (79)
18. Petrus du Plessis (0)
19. Greg Peterson (31)
20. Chris Fusaro (147)
21. George Horne (25)
22. Pete Horne (143)
23. Rory Hughes (35)

Not available due to injury: Brian Alainu’uese (back), Scott Cummings (ankle), Zander Fagerson (ankle), Siua Halanukanuka (foot), Stuart Hogg (ankle), Paddy Kelly (calf), Lelia Masaga (hip), Kiran McDonald (hand) and Tim Swinson (lower limb).

Seymour not injured, must be a form pick!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 12 Oct 2018, 1:31 pm

Barritt only had surgery for a busted cheek 2wks ago!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 12 Oct 2018, 1:31 pm

Right you are Gee! How did I misread DTH for Tommy? Shocked

I think the important thing about the Warriors' side is that it doesn't look to have been changed in response to our opponents' strengths.
DR knows how he wants to play and trusts the players to deliver.

I remember Furra Linee saying to me just after the last match at Allianz that Glasgow had wanted to play a fast game but Sarries had kept slowing everything up at the breakdown and Glasgow were unable to change that. With Stormzy and Fagerson jr there is a bit more vehemence in the back row; Stormzy and DR seem to have brought the New Zealand attitude of "brutality at the breakdown". This is probably why BBB is in the second row, London Tiger, the back row for Sunday has real pace and will hit the breakdowns quickly.

Obviously Sarries will win comfortably.

Last season DR came in for a lot of flak for playing his strongest 23 on the South African trip and then flogging them into action at Sandy Park and then against Leinster the following week. Two close defeats ended our campaign before it began. This season he seems to have a reasonably fresh and well prepared squad to pick from. IF we win on Sunday then an away win in Cardiff next week is attainable and the double header against Lyon becomes very interesting.

I think this is the biggest match of the season for DR. The European failure last season, combined with the team's collapse at the end of the season had a lot of us asking whether he fully understood the demands of managing the schedule. He seems to have changed from "same 23 every week till they're knackered" yet maintained the shape and playing patterns. Sunday is where he will want to show a wider audience what he is building.

On a side note. I had my gall bladder ripped out on Wednesday and Princess daughter was asking how I was recovering. I mentioned that I was miffed that I won't see the game as I don't have BT Sports. " We have it, we're going out for lunch on Sunday. Come round, the house is yours." Yahoo You should have seen the look on Mrs Pip's face when I asked her to drive me there and back. My abdomen is stapled together at the moment; if Glasgow win the staples may be flying across the room.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 12 Oct 2018, 1:40 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Barritt only had surgery for a busted cheek 2wks ago!  

Aye, slightly surprised to see him playing.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 12 Oct 2018, 1:55 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

• 15. Alex Goode, 
  • 14. David Strettle, 
  • 13. Alex Lozowski, 
  • 12. Brad Barritt (c), 
  • 11. Sean Maitland, 
  • 10. Owen Farrell, 
  • 9. Richard Wigglesworth, 
  • 1. Mako Vunipola, 
  • 2. Jamie George, 
  • 3. Vincent Koch, 
  • 4. Will Skelton, 
  • 5. George Kruis, 
  • 6. Maro Itoje, 
  • 7. Michael Rhodes, 
  • 8. Billy Vunipola.

Replacements:

• 16. Christopher Tolofua, 
  • 17. Richard Barrington, 
  • 18. Titi Lamositele, 
  • 19. Nick Isiekwe, 
  • 20. Jackson Wray, 
  • 21. Ben Spencer, 
  • 22. Nick Tompkins, 
  • 23. Liam Williams,

Looks rubbish. Cry
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 13 Oct 2018, 10:20 am

Here's an interesting quote,

The way senior coach has the team playing is a way ahead of some of their rivals. They go up against some teams that are a lot bigger than them physically but move the ball so quickly from the point of contact that the big teams are not able to set their defensive line.
They play and train at such a fast pace, I don't know if anyone else is doing that. It will be tough but the guys are quite used to that and they will relish it. They will not get cocky or arrogant, they are a really good group with an even better culture.

Now, I feel that could easily be said of Glasgow but it is actually Jamie Heaslip talking about the Ladyboys. It sounds very like the Gospel According To Toonie, or the Precepts Of The Renniesance. A lot of people on here are focussing on the fact that Sarries have a huge pack and their "juggernaut" will "steamroller" us.

If Glasgow can exert a bit of control in the first quarter so they don't feel they are chasing the game; go through the phases, dictate where on the field the game is played, NOT run around with our hair on fire..... We can win this.

There, I've said it....

We're doomed. Doomed.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 13 Oct 2018, 1:21 pm

Can see what you're saying jimbo but it's not like Leinster have a lightweight pack - they will come across bigger teams than them but not often.

I have a feeling Glasgow will surprise people here but they could just be blown away. - that sarries pack is monstrous and Glasgow one just isn't.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 13 Oct 2018, 3:05 pm

Well RDW,I'm going stir crazy at the moment so my predictions may be rather "creative".
However, I see match coming down to a few interesting battles.

Dunbar-Barritt
Fulfil almost identical roles, if either clearly on top then their 13 should have lots of time and space.

Hastings-Farrell
Young Adam has beaten more defenders than any other player in the Pro14. His progress is astounding. Will the wheels come off soon? Yes. Tomorrow? Please no. Owen Farrell is the sort of opponent you hate but would love to have in your side. If he gets a grip of Hastings and starts to bully him then it could be a long afternoon for the Warriors.

FagersonJr- Billy V

Sarries love to launch their big runners through the middle. Glasgow like ball players who are comfortable all over the field. DR highlighted Fagerson as " the point of difference in the back row". Rennie reckons he has lightening quick feet and can cut you in half in the tackle. If Fagerson gets the ball in space I can't see Billy V catching him. When Billy gets the ball just behind the gain line can Fagerson stop him before he gets up to speed?

8 10 12

Three battles which will go a long way to deciding the war.

My predictions;

Dunbar is the form player

Hastings, could become a very special player.

Fagerson, fearless and talented.

3-0 Glasgow.

Like I said, stir crazy.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 13 Oct 2018, 4:13 pm

jimbopip wrote:Well RDW,I'm going stir crazy at the moment so my predictions may be rather "creative".
However, I see match coming down to a few interesting battles.

Dunbar-Barritt
Fulfil almost identical roles, if either clearly on top then their 13 should have lots of time and space.

Hastings-Farrell
Young Adam has beaten more defenders than any other player in the Pro14. His progress is astounding. Will the wheels come off soon? Yes. Tomorrow? Please no. Owen Farrell is the sort of opponent you hate but would love to have in your side. If he gets a grip of Hastings and starts to bully him then it could be a long afternoon for the Warriors.

FagersonJr- Billy V

Sarries love to launch their big runners through the middle. Glasgow like ball players who are comfortable all over the field. DR highlighted Fagerson as " the point of difference in the back row". Rennie reckons he has lightening quick feet and can cut you in half in the tackle. If Fagerson gets the ball in space I can't see Billy V catching him. When Billy gets the ball just behind the gain line can Fagerson stop him before he gets up to speed?

8 10 12

Three battles which will go a long way to deciding the war.

My predictions;

Dunbar is the form player

Hastings, could become a very special player.

Fagerson, fearless and talented.

3-0 Glasgow.

Like I said, stir crazy.

Speed for Billy is a relative term. He's not going to outrun anyone. But stopping him is very hard.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 13 Oct 2018, 4:17 pm

So it's probably just as well that Matt fagerson is very, very hard.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 13 Oct 2018, 6:03 pm

jimbopip wrote:So it's probably just as well that Matt fagerson is very, very hard.

He'll need to be

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next