Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 1:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Re Sterling, he’s got more PL assists than any English player in the last year, 3rd most of anyone. As well as a shedload of goals, what a poopie player he is!!
Could this be it for Jose, I certainly hope so.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 11:59 am

beninho wrote:While in Nero getting my usual morning drink, ive heard some requests I don't understand. God knows how the barista knows what to do! Also like a caramel macchiato from starbucks

That is even more basic. Do you drink this while watching Magic Mike XXL or reading the gossip columns of Heat magazine?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:23 pm

To be fair, i also like a pear cider, a g and t and once had a peach belini.

If I wasn't married (to a woman) and had 2 kids, people would make many assumptions!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 1:28 pm

Coffee is either black or white anything else is just froth These coffee companies invent Poopie like they invent different HQs to domicile themselves in for tax avoidance purposes. Shocked

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 1:55 pm

beninho wrote:To be fair, i also like a pear cider, a g and t and once had a peach belini.

If I wasn't married (to a woman) and had 2 kids, people would make many assumptions!

I’m with you on the pear cider ben

Lovely stuff

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 2:12 pm

McLaren wrote:I always thought getting the flavored shots in coffee was a bit chav?

Although it will come as a surprise to no one that my coffee arrives in the mail from my hipster roaster of choice. (probably the least green thing I do)

And even I haven't heard of a flat black, but I wouldn't go into costa.

Ray

It sounds like they are just calling a long black by a different name.  Although not to sound like a bell end but long black should be water then coffee, not coffee then water.
Laugh picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 2:17 pm

[quote="JAS"]Coffee is either black or white anything else is just froth  

Exactly . . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 3:35 pm

People want to be fooled.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

McLaren wrote:I always thought getting the flavored shots in coffee was a bit chav?

Although it will come as a surprise to no one that my coffee arrives in the mail from my hipster roaster of choice. (probably the least green thing I do)

Ray

It sounds like they are just calling a long black by a different name.  Although not to sound like a bell end but long black should be water then coffee, not coffee then water.

Given your fondness and habit for jumping on social justice bandwagons Mac, where do you stand on Kent University banning Red Indian and Cowboy fancy dress from their campus (whilst still allowing Crusader costumes) just incase someone gets "offended"

Isn't it about time that we stopped caring about if certain people get offended or not? After all nothing happens when you get offended.  It's like we're heading towards Demolition Man.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 8:19 pm

Depends if you think people have a genuine reason to be offended in certain situations. I would assume the vast majority of people would understand why some people could find something offensive. Therefore its basic human kindness to respect peoples views.

If I was jewish, and soneone was joking or making light of the holocaust, I would find that offensive. I'd be surprised if anyone thought that was wrong.

People offend sometimes deliberately sometimes not, thats life.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 9:03 pm

‘Flat black’ is a bit offensive, isn’t it? (But luckily it caters to the PC elite.)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 9:59 pm

super_realist wrote:

Ray

Given your fondness and habit for jumping on social justice bandwagons Mac, where do you stand on Kent University banning Red Indian and Cowboy fancy dress from their campus (whilst still allowing Crusader costumes) just incase someone gets "offended"

Isn't it about time that we stopped caring about if certain people get offended or not? After all nothing happens when you get offended.  It's like we're heading towards Demolition Man.

One of the universities, Manchester I think, has banned applause at certain events in case it’s too raucous for some of the audience. Tw@ts.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sat 13 Oct 2018, 11:03 am

beninho wrote:Depends if you think people have a genuine reason to be offended in certain situations. I would assume the vast majority of people would understand why some people could find something offensive. Therefore its basic human kindness to respect peoples views.

If I was jewish, and soneone was joking or making light of the holocaust, I would find that offensive. I'd be surprised if anyone thought that was wrong.

People offend sometimes deliberately sometimes not, thats life.

No one is being deliberately offensive by wearing a cowboy outfit though are they?

You can be offended by anything if you want to, we have to draw the line somewhere otherwise we're going to live in an even more boring and ridiculously puritan place soon.

We've no right to remain without offence, and whilst people shouldn't be provoked (probably) indirect offence like wearing a Cowboy outfit shouldn't even be discussed as "offence".

Just how many Native Americans or Mexicans are at Kent University to be offended by a cowboy outfit anyway?

It would be refreshing if someone claiming offence at the increasingly ridiculous items these days was simply told "So what, who cares?" Not like anything happens.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sat 13 Oct 2018, 1:42 pm

Your point was we shouldn't care if people get offended. If you don't care if anyone gets offended by anything, that just makes you some sort of pr!ck. Sometimes people rightly feel offended.

But just because you are not offended by something doesn't mean soneone else shouldn't aswell.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Sat 13 Oct 2018, 5:42 pm

beninho wrote:Your point was we shouldn't care if people get offended. If you don't care if anyone gets offended by anything, that just makes you some sort of pr!ck. Sometimes people rightly feel offended.

But just because you are not offended by something doesn't mean soneone else shouldn't aswell.

Spot on Ben.

It’s the weekend super realist. Enjoy it

Take a day off.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 11:50 am

Diggers wrote:
One of the universities, Manchester I think, has banned applause at certain events in case it’s too raucous for some of the audience. Tw@ts.

I understand this is because clapping is discriminatory to deaf people and might upset delicate people. The preference is to do jazz hands. Ffs

What about blind people?

This is like banning the term brain storm.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 1:50 pm

beninho wrote:Your point was we shouldn't care if people get offended. If you don't care if anyone gets offended by anything, that just makes you some sort of pr!ck. Sometimes people rightly feel offended.

Correct. Sometimes. But far too often these days, people are being 'offended' for no real reason, or even on behalf of some group or other. Super's perhaps too far on one side of the scale, but there are way too many like, say, Mac (sorry Mac) who are too far the other way.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 3:44 pm

Ok wearing jeans at a job interview could be bit of a gamble. But wearing Fendi is always a safe bet.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/13/fendis-750-fur-trimmed-shawl-looks-a-lot-like-a-vagina-8034915/?ito=social

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 7:56 am

westisbest wrote:

Spot on Ben.

Take a day off.

I actually said we need to DRAW A LINE at the point at which we get offended, i.e. causing deliberate offence to people who perhaps belong to a group they can do nothing about, i.e. race, disabled, sexuality etc.

We don't need to mollycoddle people who belong to particular groups out of their own choice, such as believing in fairy tales (and demanding special treatment for them) or for people of particular persuasions, such as being fat.

For example, I was listening to the radio the other day and they'd replaced the word "obese" with "weight difficulties" That's pathetic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

You stop caring about people, thats fine. Maybe you won't get riled up and feel the need to rant about it on a semi regular basis. Don't care and let it wash over you. Im sure people are making certain decisions due to people who care not people that don't.

Now put it back in your box and forget about it as I don't want to hear you caring about it again.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 1:38 pm

super_realist wrote:
westisbest wrote:

Spot on Ben.

Take a day off.

I actually said we need to DRAW A LINE at the point at which we get offended, i.e. causing deliberate offence to people who perhaps belong to a group they can do nothing about, i.e. race, disabled, sexuality etc.

We don't need to mollycoddle people who belong to particular groups out of their own choice, such as believing in fairy tales (and demanding special treatment for them) or for people of particular persuasions, such as being fat.

For example, I was listening to the radio the other day and they'd replaced the word "obese" with "weight difficulties" That's pathetic.

But Super, you seek to deliberately offend by using the term holocaust flippantly. Holocaust isn't a generic term such as massacre, it's specifically associated with the Jewish genocide at the hands of the Nazis. It's an ancient Greek term but has only been used to refer to one event in history. And this happened within living memory so there are many people today who were personally affected by it or have family members who were affected. Your light hearted use of this term is deeply offensive.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 5:58 pm

super_realist wrote:

Ray

First of lets address the offence problem.  I think you and others have issues with the idea of causing offence because of the range ideas the usage of word is used to describe.  If I or someone else was offended by people dressing up as red idians, the type of offence felt is that of an injustice or discrimination being perpetuated. It is not the usage of offence where something you happen to hold dear has been mocked or criticised.  The problem comes from the people raising the objection "they are just being offended" to discredit legitimate concerns raised by people relating to injustice or discrimination.

As for the clapping are we sure the story is accurate?

On dressing up as a red indian, I wouldn't do it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 6:35 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
super_realist wrote:
westisbest wrote:

Spot on Ben.

Take a day off.

But Super, you seek to deliberately offend by using the term holocaust flippantly. Holocaust isn't a generic term such as massacre, it's specifically associated with the Jewish genocide at the hands of the Nazis. It's an ancient Greek term but has only been used to refer to one event in history. And this happened within living memory so there are many people today who were personally affected by it or have family members who were affected. Your light hearted use of this term is deeply offensive.

It does beg the question, would "realist" use the same term to describe a ryder cup score ( I think thats been done) when having a conversation with someone jewish?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 6:44 pm

It is clear antisemitism to use the term holocaust for anything other than the genocide of the jews in ww2. Super must know that even if this word ever had another common usage it no longer does. People using holocaust in other situations are knowingly poking fun at jewish people.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 6:59 pm

McLaren wrote:It is clear antisemitism to use the term holocaust for anything other than the genocide of the jews in ww2.  Super must know that even if this word ever had another common usage it no longer does.  People using holocaust in other situations are knowingly poking fun at jewish people.
Get over yourself.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 7:02 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:It is clear antisemitism to use the term holocaust for anything other than the genocide of the jews in ww2.  Super must know that even if this word ever had another common usage it no longer does.  People using holocaust in other situations are knowingly poking fun at jewish people.
Get over yourself.

Typical gammon response.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 7:07 pm

Never heard of a nuclear holocaust Mac?

Ray, I don't care if you're offended. Offence is subjective, and if you want to be offended, so bloody what. I've said it a million times, nothing happens when you get offended.

Someone could take offence to the colour of my jacket if they wanted, it's not my problem.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 7:17 pm

super_realist wrote: they'd replaced the word "obese" with "weight difficulties" That's pathetic.
It’s hard to bear.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 7:51 pm

Surely it is your problem if, even knowing people find something you say or do offensive, yet continue doing it. That's gone past not caring its delving into stupidy or mental illness.

I also think someone who downplays the holocaust or likens it to something minor is generally a bit weird or potentially antisemitic.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 9:14 pm

Seems odd that a man who can’t see any issue in being offended doesn’t have the cojones to say what his musical preferences are.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 10:09 pm

Nice little away win against a bang in form Spain side. Good to see the half decent Sterling get a couple, another for Rashford (worth remembering he’s only 20). Average age only 23, important result to keep up the momentum from the World Cup.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 12:55 am

Didn't someone on here reckon Sterling wasn't up to much?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 12:57 am

super_realist wrote:
Ray, I don't care if you're offended. Offence is subjective, and if you want to be offended, so bloody what. I've said it a million times, nothing happens when you get offended.

Someone could take offence to the colour of my jacket if they wanted, it's not my problem.

Did you not read my post where I explained that in many of the cases where you think "it is just causing offense" you have completely missed the mark with that definition?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 7:54 am

It's OFFENCE Mac, take your computer off Yank spelling.

You said it was clear "anti Semitism" to use the term holocaust but as usual your tiny vocabulary wasn't up to knowing that there is more than one definition, and one which is frequently used.

It's hard to believe you have an MSc Mac (which I really doubt is actually true)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 1:15 pm

It's not clearly anti-semitism. It could be. It's more likely insensitive, offensive and disrespectful.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 1:21 pm

Diggers wrote:Nice little away win against a bang in form Spain side. Good to see the half decent Sterling get a couple, another for Rashford (worth remembering he’s only 20). Average age only 23, important result to keep up the momentum from the World Cup.

Complete turn around from the Croatia game, which England dominated but couldn't finish (well Rashford couldn't).

Hopefully the floodgates will open for Sterling now.

73% possession for Spain, proper backs to the wall 2nd half. The team deserve a lot of credit for holding on... Spain really upped their intensity after they got one back. Southgate and the players should take a lot of credit for the performance and the result. Tremendous confidence booster - worth as much if not more than the World Cup run.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 1:33 pm

super_realist wrote:

This is an anonymous internet forum, you have no reason to care about my feelings. It doesn't bother me or offend me (not that it matters).

I'd like to think that your choice of vocabulary on here is deliberately provocative and in real life you wouldn't use such phrases. But is super_realist an internet persona (to borrow a mac phrase)? Or is your real life a facade and your true feelings come out on here?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 1:47 pm

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote: they'd replaced the word "obese" with "weight difficulties" That's pathetic.
It’s hard to bear.

Those conversations must be heavy going.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 3:22 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Get over yourself.

Typical gammon response.
Ah yes. Right on! Have to use the modern terminology don't you? Got to look down with the kids and all politically aware eh? picard

So we can be clear. People using the word 'holocaust' to describe anything other than the Jewish Holocaust is not anti-Semitic or 'poking fun at Jews' just because you say it is. Get it?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 3:23 pm

Diggers wrote:Nice little away win against a bang in form Spain side. Good to see the half decent Sterling get a couple, another for Rashford (worth remembering he’s only 20). Average age only 23, important result to keep up the momentum from the World Cup.
Read reports (don't have Sky). Sounded like a good performance. Pleased for Sterling.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 3:31 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Get over yourself.

Typical gammon response.
Ah yes. Right on! Have to use the modern terminology don't you? Got to look down with the kids and all politically aware eh? :picard:

So we can be clear. People using the word 'holocaust' to describe anything other than the Jewish Holocaust is not anti-Semitic or 'poking fun at Jews' just because you say it is. Get it?

Would you use "holocaust" when talking to someone in real life to describe anything other than the genocide of the jewish people in ww2? Lets cut the crap about whether hypothetically it could be used in another context what about some examples where you would use it when talking with people in real life whose respect you wish to maintain?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 4:31 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

Complete turn around from the Croatia game, which England dominated but couldn't finish (well Rashford couldn't).

73% possession for Spain, proper backs to the wall 2nd half. The team deserve a lot of credit for holding on... Spain really upped their intensity after they got one back. Southgate and the players should take a lot of credit for the performance and the result. Tremendous confidence booster - worth as much if not more than the World Cup run.

Have to say, Ray, Barkley now looks a different player, maybe the biggest plus of all. Always had quality but now using his physique as well. Gomez is going to be one our best ever defenders, the lad just oozes class.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 4:45 pm

Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

Have to say, Ray, Barkley now looks a different player, maybe the biggest plus of all. Always had quality but now using his physique as well. Gomez is going to be one our best ever defenders, the lad just oozes class.

Not just those two. Also thought Chilwell looked good. Even Winks at times, although he was up against it in the 2nd half.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 4:46 pm

McLaren wrote:Would you use "holocaust" when talking to someone in real life to describe anything other than the genocide of the jewish people in ww2? Lets cut the crap about whether hypothetically it could be used in another context what about some examples where you would use it when talking with people in real life whose respect you wish to maintain?
Yes I would. Super has already mentioned a nuclear holocaust and I would describe the Chernobyl disaster as a nuclear holocaust. Anything that involves the mass slaughter - especially by fire or nuclear event can be described as a holocaust. (as per definition). In common parlance the Holocaust is what you mean by the genocide of the Jewish people. Just a capitalisation of a letter can make a difference.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 5:10 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Get over yourself.

Typical gammon response.
Ah yes. Right on! Have to use the modern terminology don't you? Got to look down with the kids and all politically aware eh? picard

Would you use "holocaust" when talking to someone in real life to describe anything other than the genocide of the jewish people in ww2? Lets cut the crap about whether hypothetically it could be used in another context what about some examples where you would use it when talking with people in real life whose respect you wish to maintain?
Yes, Mac. It's called language. It's not a common word by any means, but using it in other contexts is not anti-Semitic. That's just nonsense. Sorry you don't like, but that's the way the World is I'm afraid. It's OK, you can be wrong; it's not that bad OK.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 6:01 pm

I’d say you can use it as a common noun, for the examples cited. If it’s used as a proper noun, if soneone refers to “the Holocaust”, it’s invariably referring to the systematic attempt to exterminate the Jewish race.
To be honest, whether people soneone is offended overly or not by something, the fact is that saying something in a particular way to be inflammatory is just being a dick. It’s not about being right or wrong, the Jews would say everyone should try to be a mensch most of the time.We all do it, some people are just incapable of recognising they are acting like a dick, or perhaps wear the badge of being a dick with pride.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 6:25 pm

Looks like zilch chance of any Brexit deal being cut tomorrow, not that it would get through Parliament anyway. All (supposedly) because of the Irish border. The irony being, no deal will of course mean a hard border. The utter stupidity of this process staggers me every single day.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 8:14 pm

The Jews don’t use the word ‘holocaust’ for this. They use the word ‘shoah’.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 10:45 am

pedro wrote:The Jews don’t use the word ‘holocaust’ for this. They use the word ‘shoah’.

I always thought Ameobi under achieved as a footballer. He had the pace and talent to be much more successful.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 11:07 am

raycastleunited wrote:
pedro wrote:The Jews don’t use the word ‘holocaust’ for this. They use the word ‘shoah’.

I always thought Ameobi under achieved as a footballer. He had the pace and talent to be much more successful.
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 11:10 am

Diggers wrote:I’d say you can use it as a common noun, for the examples cited. If it’s used as a proper noun, if soneone refers to “the Holocaust”, it’s invariably referring to the systematic attempt to exterminate the Jewish race.
To be honest, whether people soneone is offended overly or not by something, the fact is that saying something in a particular way to be inflammatory is just being a dick. It’s not about being right or wrong, the Jews would say everyone should try to be a mensch most of the time.We all do it, some people are just incapable of recognising they are acting like a dick, or perhaps wear the badge of being a dick with pride.
OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum