Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 1:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Re Sterling, he’s got more PL assists than any English player in the last year, 3rd most of anyone. As well as a shedload of goals, what a poopie player he is!!
Could this be it for Jose, I certainly hope so.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 9:13 am

beninho wrote:https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-prescription-costs/

List of people exempt from prescription costs. Now, I have an issue with all over 60s being lumped togethet, but apart from that I find it hard to pick fault on any of these groups having free prescriptions.
Yeah, but allowing ~91% to get free prescriptions is daft if one accepts that people pay for prescriptions. It's more stupid than that as well. For example, my wife is Type I diabetic, so she gets free prescriptions. Stupid? Not at first glance, but she gets all her prescriptions free, not those just specifically related to her diabetes. She cuts her finger gardening and needs some antibiotics? Free prescription, despite it having nothing to do with her diabetes. Even she thinks this is daft. I'm sure the other listed long-term health condition are the same.

As to the over-60s, apart from being a stupidly broad category, presumably that was introduced when considering the old, traditional retirement ages? Can't force anyone to retire now (although, see Brexit), so one can still be earning fine and get free prescriptions once 60+?? picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 10:46 am

I thought part of the problem was that means testing who gets what fir free ends up as expensive as giving most of it out free.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 10:48 am

super_realist wrote:

As usual with your claims Mac, I've seen no evidence to back up anything you say.

I've not seen anyone claim that they want out of the EU so they can persecute people without fear of a humans rights act, or that they want to trade with dodgy regimes. Typical sensationalism from you, and in many regards, just as absurd as the actual reasons people want to leave the EU for. Your views are just as daft as theirs, and you are admitting that you are surmising their reasons to back up your claim. It's pretty pathetic Mac. You should be thinking up better reasons to stay, not picking holes in the views of those poorly informed people who want to leave. Anyone can do that.

Dodgy regimes? You mean like the dodgy regimes of China and Saudi Arabia that we already trade with?

Yes, tighter immigration and the mistaken idea that leaving the EU would mean a withdrawal from the European court of Human rights were reasons people gave for voting leave.  Along with ideas about removing red tape and bureaucracy from the workplace.  And you can't forget the nationalist votes as well. 

Do any of those ideas strike you as socially progressive?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 12:13 pm

Diggers wrote:I thought part of the problem was that means testing who gets what fir free ends up as expensive as giving most of it out free.
Suspect you're right, in which case can I have them free too? I don't know what the solutions are, but it's clearly dumb and unsustainable as it is.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 12:43 pm

Interesting stat today, 1 in 4 votes cast in European countries is for populist, right wing parties. Up from 7% not so long ago. Hard to see how that growth ends well.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 12:51 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:I thought part of the problem was that means testing who gets what fir free ends up as expensive as giving most of it out free.
Suspect you're right, in which case can I have them free too? I don't know what the solutions are, but it's clearly dumb and unsustainable as it is.

What's the point in running a dual process for prescriptions when over 90% are covered by one process. Might as well make all prescriptions free - the extra admin required probably costs more than the fees collected.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 12:56 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2018/nov/21/how-populist-are-you-quiz

Im near Obama.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 1:19 pm

beninho wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2018/nov/21/how-populist-are-you-quiz

Im near Obama.
Macron.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 1:29 pm

Diggers wrote:Interesting stat today, 1 in 4 votes cast in European countries is for populist, right wing parties. Up from 7% not so long ago. Hard to see how that growth ends well.
Hopefully it'll be a wake up call for the centre-left.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 5:52 pm

pedro wrote:
Diggers wrote:Interesting stat today, 1 in 4 votes cast in European countries is for populist, right wing parties. Up from 7% not so long ago. Hard to see how that growth ends well.
Hopefully it'll be a wake up call for the centre-left.

I'm not sure that many European countries have a centre left anymore, some of them never have.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 7:18 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

As usual with your claims Mac, I've seen no evidence to back up anything you say.

I've not seen anyone claim that they want out of the EU so they can persecute people without fear of a humans rights act, or that they want to trade with dodgy regimes. Typical sensationalism from you, and in many regards, just as absurd as the actual reasons people want to leave the EU for. Your views are just as daft as theirs, and you are admitting that you are surmising their reasons to back up your claim. It's pretty pathetic Mac. You should be thinking up better reasons to stay, not picking holes in the views of those poorly informed people who want to leave. Anyone can do that.

Dodgy regimes? You mean like the dodgy regimes of China and Saudi Arabia that we already trade with?

Yes, tighter immigration and the mistaken idea that leaving the EU would mean a withdrawal from the European court of Human rights were reasons people gave for voting leave.  Along with ideas about removing red tape and bureaucracy from the workplace.  And you can't forget the nationalist votes as well. 

Do any of those ideas strike you as socially progressive?

So people voted for Brexit specifically for the indirect effect of leaving the EU? Grow up Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 7:24 pm

beninho wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2018/nov/21/how-populist-are-you-quiz

Im near Obama.

Presume Mac was Castro or Lenin.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 8:00 pm

super_realist wrote:

Im near Obama.

Presume Mac was Castro or Lenin.
Where’s Pol Pot?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 8:06 pm

Have you done it realist, can see you coming in like maggie Thatcher

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 8:19 pm

beninho wrote:Have you done it realist, can see you coming in like maggie Thatcher
More like Alan B'Stard

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 8:34 pm

super_realist wrote:

So people voted for Brexit specifically for the indirect effect of leaving the EU? Grow up Mac.

For once I agree with Mac - I know of many people who voted for brexit for precisely those reasons. Tighter immigration and getting away from EU courts of human rights went a long way to securing brexit

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 8:54 pm

pedro wrote:
beninho wrote:Have you done it realist, can see you coming in like maggie Thatcher
More like Alan B'Stard

I see him as a Michael Gove clone.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 9:05 pm

Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:

For once I agree with Mac - I know of many people who voted for brexit for precisely those reasons. Tighter immigration and getting away from EU courts of human rights went a long way to securing brexit

I’d agree this was pretty obviously why a lot of people voted Brexit. Isn’t it basically a précis of the UKIP manifesto.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 7:49 am

pedro wrote:
More like Alan B'Stard

Macron actually.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 7:52 am

Diggers wrote:
Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I’d agree this was pretty obviously why a lot of people voted Brexit. Isn’t it basically a précis of the UKIP manifesto.

Hardly, when you look at people like George Galloway, as big a social justice warrior as you'll ever find, who is also a brexiteer who makes Mac look like Musolini, you see that people don't vote for Brexit because it takes away "social progress".

I simply don't buy that it's a racist vote or trying to get away from the Human Rights Act, as if that would be repealed anyway.

I voted to remain, but all these people pretending they know why people voted for Brexit is pretty arrogant. I realise that a great many didn't really have a good reason and can't answer questions on why they voted a particular way (just as plenty remainers can't) doesn't mean that they all had ulterior motives for their vote.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 9:23 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Hardly, when you look at people like George Galloway, as big a social justice warrior as you'll ever find, who is also a brexiteer who makes Mac look like Musolini, you see that people don't vote for Brexit because it takes away "social progress".

I simply don't buy that it's a racist vote or trying to get away from the Human Rights Act, as if that would be repealed anyway.

I voted to remain, but all these people pretending they know why people voted for Brexit is pretty arrogant. I realise that a great many didn't really have a good reason and can't answer questions on why they voted a particular way (just as plenty remainers can't) doesn't mean that they all had ulterior motives for their vote.
A single (weird) politician, doesn't make your argument, really. Hard to judge as we don't really know people's motives to vote, but I reckon there were plenty of people that voted for Brexit for reasons that Mac suggested. He makes sweeping statements too far the other way (i.e. everyone voted out for that reason), but I think he has a point, even if it's not quite as simple as that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 10:07 am

I got the middle of the bottom left box.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 10:20 am

Super

What might come as a shock to you is that being in favour of the death penalty was decent predictor for whether someone would vote leave.

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/71585/1/blogs.lse.ac.uk-Its%20NOT%20the%20economy%20stupid%20Brexit%20as%20a%20story%20of%20personal%20values.pdf

That is how progressive the leave vote was.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 11:09 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I don't see them as ulterior motives, just obvious consequences of your vote. Some reasons for voting might be hard to analyse, like the "sick of the status quo", but these are fairly obvious ideological drivers for quite a lot of people in the UK. We know they exist, to suggest that they didn't vote leave based on this ideology seems weird. There were many reasons for voting to stay or remain, we can't ignore them all can we just because we can't pin point exactly how many many or who voted for a particular reason.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 11:37 am

McLaren wrote:Super

What might come as a shock to you is that being in favour of the death penalty was decent predictor for whether someone would vote leave.

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/71585/1/blogs.lse.ac.uk-Its%20NOT%20the%20economy%20stupid%20Brexit%20as%20a%20story%20of%20personal%20values.pdf

But being stupid was the most important predictor

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 11:45 am

McLaren wrote:I got the middle of the bottom left box.
And I who thought "non-populist left" was an oxymoron.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 2:24 pm

Actually, I'm surprised you aren't in favour given your position on who should be allowed on a Jury, what constitutes actual evidence etc OK. Those positions you hold are very 'progressive'...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 4:30 pm

Navy

Not sure that makes any sense. If I don't trust juries why would I let them sentence someone to death?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 4:34 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

Not sure that makes any sense. If I don't trust juries why would I let them sentence someone to death?
During that conversation (might have been re. what constituted evidence) you implied it was fine if the odd innocent person was convicted if it led to getting some 'bad guys'. That sort of logic is one of the reasons the death penalty disappeared.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 7:05 pm

Mac, you seem to be suggesting that if someone is right wing, it means they'll be a Brexit voter, whilst if you are left wing then you'll be a Remainer.

How is it that Corbyn/Galloway/Hoey/Stringer/Hopkin (only marginally less left wing than Commmunist Maxine Peake)_voting to leave seems to have slipped from your memory. These are rabid socialists who wouldn't vote on the basis of it causing harm to "Social Progress" whilst your typical "non caring right wingers" who you claim don't care about "social progress" like May, Clarke, S Hammond, Pawsey etc were rampant remainers. Doesn't really fit in with your tin pot psychology of a Brexiteer does it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 7:07 pm

On another note, had to laugh at this moron earning his Darwin award in Grade A style.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46293221

Truly deserved his award and fate. Laugh  Laugh  Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Fri 23 Nov 2018, 12:32 pm

super_realist wrote:On another note, had to laugh at this moron earning his Darwin award in Grade A style.

Truly deserved his award and fate. Laugh  Laugh  Laugh
Jesus didn’t help him. Ciao Chau.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Fri 23 Nov 2018, 1:18 pm

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:On another note, had to laugh at this moron earning his Darwin award in Grade A style.

Truly deserved his award and fate. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Jesus didn’t help him. Ciao Chau.

What an arse, what did he expect?

As bad as those do gooders that expect rescued by special forces when they get captured by the taliban.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Fri 23 Nov 2018, 3:34 pm

Maybe he fooled them by posing with a teddy bear?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6420799/Asylum-seeker-posed-15-year-old-schoolboy-deemed-ADULT.html?ito=social-facebook

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sat 24 Nov 2018, 7:26 pm

Phil Hammond pops over to NI and says, “Heres 66 million I’ve found down the back of the sofa, spend it on your schools!”. What fortuitous timing that is. A knighthood here and there to Brexiteers...
This govt really are shoddy. Not as shoddy as Dominic Raab though. What have you been doing for a year mate, you were there making the deal you apparently despise...worse that remaining in his own words. He should have to repay every extra quid he’s earned being a minister as by his own admission he’s done nothing of any consequence. At least David Davis quit when he saw the direction the talks were going, that’s when Raab got on boards kissing Mays arse. Complete and utter cockwomble...and probably a future Tory leader.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sat 24 Nov 2018, 8:15 pm

The funniest thing is thinking that any other government could get a deal that was better. Brexit has been in the process of being negotiated for the last 2 years, hundreds of thousands of hours have gone into it. Labour would be even more stupid than Dianne Abbott if they think they could arrange a better deal between now and March. I wouldn't want a psychopath like Corbyn negotiating the return of an overdue library book let alone something as important as this.

One of the reasons is that it is virtually impossible to please anyone in seeking a deal the way the country is split, and it would be pretty naïve to think it could be done in the short time remaining. If it was easy to make a deal, it would have been done and dusted by now, long ago. No matter what any political party was to come out with, it would be virtually impossible to get through a parliament that is so split on the matter of Brexit.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sat 24 Nov 2018, 8:56 pm

It’s purely hypothetical that Labour would have done this badly. Let’s rewind to May calling a general election, that was an absolute disastrous call for a start. Then there was all the posturing that’s taken place at the start (which she completed u turned on). I actually think Labour would have got a “better” deal because it would be happier to be tied closer to the EU and the terms would have been more favourable, fir instance we’d actually know what we were getting in terms of a customs union rather than the utter fudge we have now. I don’t see how anybody could have done a worse job, and the proof is in the pudding.
To back the incompetence up there is no Plan B, she refuses to accept what is clearly what’s going to happen, a loss in Parliament.
We need a non binary people’s vote, no other solution. I’m sick of this “Don’t let the good be the enemy of the perfect” crap. For a start the good they are talking about really is rubbish and it’s nowhere near as good as what we have already.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Sat 24 Nov 2018, 10:21 pm

Why would it be “better” to get a deal where Britain was tied closer to the EU when Britain voted “leave”???

Labour may have gotten a different deal on some points, but certaintly also on others.

As someone said: there is no “EU a la carte”.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sat 24 Nov 2018, 10:48 pm

I don’t give a toss what anyone says, the majority of people, both remain and leave, did not know what leave meant. They did not know the problems we’d meet, they weren’t discussed. I didn’t here Ireland mentioned...I still don’t here a conversation about what no deal means for Ireland. We were fed lie after lie after lie through corrupt campaigning.
Brexit means Brexit..OK, define what that means. You can’t (even May has realised that) and therefore you can’t say a Brexit closer to Europe isn’t a better deal, or a worse deal...though economically it would certainly be a better deal. This isn’t even a deal, it’s a convoluted fudge that hopes the technology fairy comes and sorts the border problem. We actually have delivered more control of our destiny to the EU, whilst having no say. You couldn’t make up the stupidity of where we at now.
Binary referendums are probably the worst way you could solve a complicated problem. Now we have an idea what leaving entails and what the choices are. With that presented we’d get a remain vote, I have no doubt about that, and thats what should happen.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Sat 24 Nov 2018, 11:26 pm

Agree that a binary vote was stupid. But it’s history. The country has to accept that of the two choices the majority voted leave - which by definition is the more uncertain choice.

Nobody is to blame more for the vote than the voters themselves. You cannot blame politicians for “telling lies”. It was YOU and only YOU who cast your binary vote.

Afaik Ireland didn’t play a part in why people voted as they did. But even a fool could see there would be a potential border issue if Britain decided to leave the EU. Yet apparantly, for other reasons, the majority of voters were prepared to take that gamble.

Furthermore the Tories even called for a GE to secure mandate for Brexit negotiations. I don’t think anybody voted leave in anticipation that a hypothetical future Labour govt would negotiate a potentially better Brexit deal than the Tories would.

So I just say bend over and take your medicine.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 6:55 am

Have to say I completely disagree with every word of that, Pedro.
The idea that the voters are talking blame when they were told Cleese lies strikes me as bizarre, in particular in relation to a complex issue like Brexit.
I’d have thought when I said Ireland it was clear I was talking about the relationship, not them voting. If it was so obvious an issue why did it not come up in the debates, I followed the referendum closely and it was never mooted as the main stumbling point, I never heard the sanctity of the GFA and Brexit linked once.
I’d ask, if people voted to leave, if it was that simple, how come the closest option to that choice...no deal...is about as popular an idea as a night out with Super Realist?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 7:37 am

I recall john major and tony blair making a point about northern Ireland before the vote, yet this was shot down by the brexiteers, a quick google shows the ni minister at the time said it was no concern. It was always going to be a big issue and im surprised people basically glossed over it.

Blame the people for voting, blame the politicians for lying or over glamourising what can be achieved. Blame Cameron for the referendum.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 8:05 am

I'm not sure why NI plays such a big part of this. It's the smallest and most worthless part of the UK. It brings virtually nothing to the Union except one of the top three worst accents within it.

What's a Cleese lie Diggers? Is that the Ministry of Funny Lies?

On the subject of night's out. I've seen 50 year old teachers on a night out Diggers, doesn't look fun at all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 8:49 am

Sorry, you don't understand the importance of NI with regards to the whole thing? The only land border with the eu, the gfa, the "split" opinions.

I'm surprised you don't see the importance, maybe you should educate yourself.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 8:52 am

beninho wrote:Sorry, you don't understand the importance of NI with regards to the whole thing? The only land border with the eu, the gfa, the "split" opinions.

I'm surprised you don't see the importance, maybe you should educate yourself.

I'm being flippant Ben.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 8:58 am

Really? Wasn't very well designed.

I don't mind the norn iron accent, better then most in this country.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 9:08 am

The Norn Irn accent is terrible. Right up there with Glasgow, East End London, Liverpool and Birmingham.

In Norn Irn you could have the same situation as you have with the borders of Norway and Finland/Sweden. Not exactly a hardship.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 9:16 am

super_realist wrote:I'm not sure why NI plays such a big part of this. It's the smallest and most worthless part of the UK. It brings virtually nothing to the Union except one of the top three worst accents within it.

On the subject of night's out. I've seen 50 year old teachers on a night out Diggers, doesn't look fun at all.

An undertakers night out would be fun compared to a beer with you. That said, we could spend time chortling about your hilarious football predictions.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 9:19 am

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:I'm not sure why NI plays such a big part of this. It's the smallest and most worthless part of the UK. It brings virtually nothing to the Union except one of the top three worst accents within it.

An undertakers night out would be fun compared to a beer with you. That said, we could spend time chortling about your hilarious football predictions.

Surely preferable to talking about Strictly and X Factor which are your preferred subjects.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 9:21 am

super_realist wrote:The Norn Irn accent is terrible. Right up there with Glasgow, East End London, Liverpool and Birmingham.

In Norn Irn you could have the same situation as you have with the borders of Norway and Finland/Sweden. Not exactly a hardship.

Wow, that’s amazing, you’ve cracked it, wonder why they haven’t just done that?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum