PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 5:38 pm

1).Well done Kevin Tway; as they say, it's been coming.
And the Tways join duos Heafner, Boros, Geiberger, Haas & Stadler as winning father/son PGA Tour champs in the past 50 years.
And there are at least half a dozen young guns playing in First Stage Q-School hoping to emulate Dad as a Tour winner - but they have to get there first.

2).Tway Junior is in Kuala Lumpur for the CIMB Classic this week with plenty of other middle-of-the-road Tour players who have qualified for limited field, money-for-nothing events in Asia. But Justin Thomas is here, and so is Paul Casey.
You can't blame Paul who is also among the early commitments for next week's CJ Cup and is qualified for the WGC-HSBC Champions. He may not be the only one, but what a way to fulfil his 15-event obligation?
He can add the Tournament of Champions, WGC-Mexico, WGC-MatchPlay and probably WGC-FedEx to his schedule, all limited field events with guaranteed money and FedEx Points.
A successful season would see him add two more  such who-said-the-PGA-Tour-doesn't-pay-appearance-fees? tournaments at the BMW and Tour Championship.
Nice work if you can earn it.

3).So, the schedule this autumn looks like this:
Last week: Safeway
This week: CIMB
Next week: CJ Cup
Oct 25th: WGC-HSBC Champions and Sanderson Farms
Nov 1st: Las Vegas
Nov 8th: Mayakoba
Nov 15th: RSM

4).Hurricane Michael permitting, this week also sees the final "regular season" tournament on the Champions Tour, in soggy North Carolina. Following Sunday's play, the season's Top 72 will play a 3-tournament championship series, with next week's field of 72 being whittled down to 54 in week 2 and 36 in week 3. These are good tournaments, much easier to follow for US-based viewers than "Big Tour" events halfway across the world.
Langer has finished 1st or 2nd the past six years; Montgomerie runnered up three of those years whilst Jimenez, Broadhurst and Parnevik will be among Europeans joining Bernie & Col this year.
Darren Clarke hasn't done anything in his young Senior career to suggest he'll be anything other than a ceremonial entry every week; as far as I can tell he has a two-year exemption but he'll need to sharpen up if he's to continue his exemption after that.

5).And First Stage of web.com Q-School wraps up this week, Stage 2 goes at the end of the month and Final Stage in early December. Haven't seen any notable European Tour golfers among those competing, which is hardly surprising.

6).Hoping Cameron Smith wins this week but hope even more that I'll be fast asleep if/when he does.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 10:26 pm

So Westwood does not want the RC Captaincy in 2020 in Wisconsin.

The 2022 RC is scheduled for Rome....But the political situation in Italy may not be conducive according to this article from a few months ago

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/may/30/italy-political-crisis-2022-ryder-cup-host-marco-simone

Hearing some rumors that Adare Manor in Ireland is ready to step in as 2022 host if Italy falls through.

It seems like Harrington would be a be the best fit at Adare Manor.

GPB

Posts : 6065
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 10:50 pm

I think McGinley has first dibs on that, GPB!

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 11:13 pm

It is not the first time political turmoil has played a part in the planning of major sporting events in Italy. Surely they will pull it off.

But my biggest concern is the Italian Open not being played there before 2021. Historically course familiarity has proven a significant advantage for Europe and we should exploit that as much as we can in the future as well.

pedro

Posts : 6330
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 7:50 am

GPB wrote:So Westwood does not want the RC Captaincy in 2020 in Wisconsin.

The 2022 RC is scheduled for Rome....But the political situation in Italy may not be conducive according to this article from a few months ago

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/may/30/italy-political-crisis-2022-ryder-cup-host-marco-simone

Hearing some rumors that Adare Manor in Ireland is ready to step in as 2022 host if Italy falls through.

It seems like Harrington would be a be the best fit at Adare Manor.

When isn't Italy in "political crisis"?

Why would Paddy be the "best fit" at Adare Manor? Because he's a Paddy? That's like saying an American Captain will be a good fit at Whistling Straits, because he's an American.

Woosnam was Captain last time the Ryder Cup was in Ireland, and it was an absolute holocaust for America. It didn't require an Irishman being Captain.

The best person for the job, is the best person for the job, nothing to do with the nationality of the captain and the country it's taking place in. Personally, I don't think Paddy will be a good pick at home or away. He's not that well liked from what we can garner and he speaks like an idiot, nor was he especially good in Ryder Cup. When you have so many people to choose from, Harrington doesn't seem like a particularly bright pick.

super_realist

Posts : 22446
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by NedB-H on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 11:24 am

super_realist wrote:

Why would Paddy be the "best fit" at Adare Manor? Because he's a Paddy? That's like saying an American Captain will be a good fit at Whistling Straits, because he's an American.
You do love a stupid comparison don’t you. I can’t believe this needs spelling out, but Europe’s team is chosen from across all of Europe. America’s team is chosen from across all of the USA. So the equivalent to having a captain from the European country that’s hosting, is to have an American captain from the US state that’s hosting. Which is exactly what they’re doing by having Stricker captaining at Whistling Straits. I guess you chose to ignore that so you could use your terrible analogy instead.

I have my doubts about Pádraig as a captain too, I think he’s possibly too individualistic to do well. But if you’re going to give him a go, do it at home where any fool can win (Montgomerie) rather than away where poor captains get found out (Faldo).
Personally, if Westwood doesn’t want 2020 I’d give it to MAJ.

NedB-H

Posts : 2076
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Kent / Ceredigion

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 12:12 pm

Picking Stricker because it's in Wisconsin is equally stupid as picking an Irishman for a RC because it's in Ireland. What difference does it make? Would you want to win more or do the job differently beacuse it's in your home country / state? Would the players play any differently / make fewer bogies? Or is it just because you're better acquainted with the local pubs and know where to get the best tatties?

Bjorn didn't even have a French VC - he only had Jacqelin as a runner - but as far as I'm concerned he did a terrific job behind the scenes as well.

IMO the only reason to pick a local captain would be to fuel his pride. But that wouldn't be a business case I'd invest in. Pick the man beacuse of his qualifications, not because of his passport or birth certificate.

pedro

Posts : 6330
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Roller_Coaster on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm

Part of the reward element?

Marginal gains?

If you think it helps any of you, your team, your prospective captain, the local fans then why not?

I'd rather use an Irish guy in Ireland and (say) an Englishman in America than vice versa if the two were relatively similar/interchangeable.

Similarly, Stricker in Italy or "home" state or (say) FIGJAM. Stick SS at "home". If it doesn't mean anything in terms of performance then why not give the guy a chance in front of his "own".

None of it is (well none of it seems to be) selected on proven leadership ability or tactical nous anyway.

Roller_Coaster

Posts : 2337
Join date : 2012-06-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 12:49 pm

Roller, in theory I agree if you could assume captains to be 100% interchangeable 2-4 years into the future.

But a lot of people tend to forget that it's about the team, not about the captain. In fact it's typical American to say that you want to win for your captain. IMO that's a very dangerous approach as it implies you're not 100% invested in it yourself. Hopefully you'd want to win for yourself, your team and your country/continent, before your captain?

I was in Paris. Fans didn't seem to mind a freaking thing about the nationality of players, and certainly not captains or VC's, they went completely bananas regardless.

As long as you have a competition that is as biased or polarised as the RC I don't think these things matter at all.

pedro

Posts : 6330
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by raycastleunited on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 3:04 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
So, the schedule this autumn looks like this:
Last week: Safeway
This week: CIMB
Next week: CJ Cup
Oct 25th: WGC-HSBC Champions and Sanderson Farms
Nov 1st: Las Vegas
Nov 8th: Mayakoba
Nov 15th: RSM

PGA Tour is so boring in Q4. Nothing interesting after the Tour Championship until Hawaii in January.

On the other hand there is a run of great events in Europe, starting with Dunhill last week and Walton Heath this week.

raycastleunited

Posts : 3372
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : North London

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 3:37 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:
So, the schedule this autumn looks like this:
Last week: Safeway
This week: CIMB
Next week: CJ Cup
Oct 25th: WGC-HSBC Champions and Sanderson Farms
Nov 1st: Las Vegas
Nov 8th: Mayakoba
Nov 15th: RSM

PGA Tour is so boring in Q4. Nothing interesting after the Tour Championship until Hawaii in January.

On the other hand there is a run of great events in Europe, starting with Dunhill last week and Walton Heath this week.


Agreed ray, but would say that Silverado (Safeway), Mayakoba and Seaside (RSM) are very nice courses, worth keeping an eye on if only for that.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 6:02 pm

NedB-H wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Why would Paddy be the "best fit" at Adare Manor? Because he's a Paddy? That's like saying an American Captain will be a good fit at Whistling Straits, because he's an American.
You do love a stupid comparison don’t you. I can’t believe this needs spelling out, but Europe’s team is chosen from across all of Europe. America’s team is chosen from across all of the USA. So the equivalent to having a captain from the European country that’s hosting, is to have an American captain from the US state that’s hosting. Which is exactly what they’re doing by having Stricker captaining at Whistling Straits. I guess you chose to ignore that so you could use your terrible analogy instead.

I have my doubts about Pádraig as a captain too, I think he’s possibly too individualistic to do well. But if you’re going to give him a go, do it at home where any fool can win (Montgomerie) rather than away where poor captains get found out (Faldo).
Personally, if Westwood doesn’t want 2020 I’d give it to MAJ.

Of course I realise that, but Europe have never needed to shoehorn in a Scottish Captain for a Scottish Ryder Cup, an Irish Captain for an Irish Ryder Cup, a French Captain for a French Ryder Cup,  a Welsh Captain for a Welsh Ryder Cup, or even an English Captain for an English Ryder Cup. Europe simply don't need to fit a captain into a Ryder Cup in the country they were born in, and there is zero evidence that it would make even the slightest bit of difference anyway.


I agree MAJ would be a far better choice than the hapless, gormless goon Frank Spencer Harrington. I can't see him inspiring anybody with his leprechaun voice and constant "ehh, ehh ehh you have to focus on ehh your focus to be sure" vernacular.

You don't have to give him a go at all if he's not considered the sort of person who would be good at the job. There's no shortage of suitable players who'd want it. Lyle never got it, rightly so, Lawrie won't either, so it's not a given that Harrington gets it just because it's some sort of Buggin's Turn like they have in America.

super_realist

Posts : 22446
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Diggers on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 6:55 pm

If MAJ didn’t have silly hair and smoked a cigar he’d just be another decent golfer. I doubt anyone has a clue if he’s decent leader material or not. Anyway, it really should just go to someone who as a player earned it. Lyle should have had it, Harrington as well.

Diggers

Posts : 8349
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 7:12 pm

If Harrington doesn't get it for Whistling Straits, he'll never get it. Same for lw in Italy. Two dodgy candidates.
Mad scramble after those two, and there'll be at least a couple of noses bent out of shape.



kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 7:55 pm

Thing is, Rose and Rory already ‘endorsed’ Paddy. Can’t see how the ET would go against Europes top 2 players.

pedro

Posts : 6330
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 9:52 pm

One thing the European Tour will always have going for it is that they "own" the European 50% of the Ryder Cup, whereas the PGA Tour doesn't own any of it, except in collateral benefits.
And it often feels that way with the Tour devising a schedule that causes members to play a heavy schedule before the RC, followed by a transatlantic flight. (Obviously this affects a few Europeans as well.)

Anyway, that bizarre schedule will no longer apply when the Tour Championship is moved forward to late August. And there'll be PGA Tour events after the Tour Championship, kicking off the 2019/2020 season.
It seems that'll start next September with the Safeway, followed by a Bay Area event hosted by Steph Curry of NBA fame (and fortune), then possibly the Greenbrier.

That's different, going to look a touch weird.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 11:25 pm

kwinigolfer wrote: , followed by a Bay Area event hosted by Steph Curry of NBA fame (and fortune)
Any words on Beef as possible co-host?

pedro

Posts : 6330
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 2:12 am

Do Arby's sell curry?

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 7:52 am

Diggers wrote:If MAJ didn’t have silly hair and smoked a cigar he’d just be another decent golfer. I doubt anyone has a clue if he’s decent leader material or not. Anyway, it really should just go to someone who as a player earned it. Lyle should have had it, Harrington as well.

That's the American way of doing thing Diggers, picking on name. It doesn't work for their players and it hasn't really worked for their captains. Captains should not be picked on their prior history in the game or how many majors they've won or whether you think they've "earned it", but their suitability for the job and I can't see that Lyle had it, and I don't think Harrington is bright enough to do it.


Bjorn picked players he thought would fit in, like Garcia and Poulter, even though it was questionable whether they had "earned" the right to be there, Furyk picked on name and reputation and it blew up in his face.

I'd much rather have someone like Paul McGinley than Nick Faldo for example (even if Mac does think he's a desperate loser, the players said he did everything right). Just being a bigger "name" in the game is a terrible reason to pick a captain. I'm so glad that Lyle didn't get it and I hope Westwood doesn't get it, because he's too "matey"  like Clarke and not authoritative enough.

super_realist

Posts : 22446
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by raycastleunited on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm

McGinley received universal acclaim for his captaincy, yet he had a (relatively) modest playing career. Maybe his lack of personal success / ego allowed the players to flourish.

In football there are loads of examples of the best footballers struggling as managers.

David Howell could be good, he seems very thoughtful. I'd like to see McGinley get the gig again to maximise the chance of winning. This isn't kindergarten where everybody gets a turn at playing captain.

raycastleunited

Posts : 3372
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : North London

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 1:41 pm

Meanwhile, Casey had another good round in KL and is now T3, in line for a nice pay-day.

So-so for Pieters and Rafa C-B.

Casey likely to be one of those passed over for RC Captaincy duties, even if he plays another one. Also, he's up to #45 in PGA Tour career money, over $25M - or $12.5+ per win.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Tinmar on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 3:53 pm

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:If MAJ didn’t have silly hair and smoked a cigar he’d just be another decent golfer. I doubt anyone has a clue if he’s decent leader material or not. Anyway, it really should just go to someone who as a player earned it. Lyle should have had it, Harrington as well.

That's the American way of doing thing Diggers, picking on name. It doesn't work for their players and it hasn't really worked for their captains. Captains should not be picked on their prior history in the game or how many majors they've won or whether you think they've "earned it", but their suitability for the job and I can't see that Lyle had it, and I don't think Harrington is bright enough to do it.


I don't know if Padraig would be a good captain or not. Somebody mentioned that he might be too individualistic which is a possibility. He would also have to be careful not to try to do too much and get in the players' way. They're well capable of managing for themselves for the rest of the year so they don't need their hands held at all.

However I can't let the above go without comment. It's extraordinary how anybody could observe Padraig and get him so wrong. He is as intelligent a sportsman as I have ever seen interviewed and he is clearly a deep thinker about the psychology of sport and performance in general. He is one of the few golfers who never gives a bland answer to a question. If I was to criticise, I would say that he has probably shared too many of his thoughts at times when sometimes the less said the better. To describe him as 'not bright' is quite frankly bizarre.

Tinmar

Posts : 174
Join date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 4:02 pm

Who has the better chances of getting a captains pick next time, (should they need it): Sergio or Reed?

pedro

Posts : 6330
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by beninho on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 4:24 pm

I have no issues with padraig getting the next gig. While its important, I also see the role as partly ceremonial in who it should go to, and think it should be a obe and done job. Think westwood should be after padraig, but then it gets messy. Poulter and stenson will be late 40s so in a good position. Then your into the sergio, molinari rose era Some big names will miss out.

beninho

Posts : 3493
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 4:47 pm

Tinmar,
Obviously Padraig & Sergio have had differences for a decade or more. Are there any other relationship skeletons in his closet?
If Rory & Rosey have endorsed him, presumably that's a positive sign.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by navyblueshorts on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 4:49 pm

Tinmar wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:If MAJ didn’t have silly hair and smoked a cigar he’d just be another decent golfer. I doubt anyone has a clue if he’s decent leader material or not. Anyway, it really should just go to someone who as a player earned it. Lyle should have had it, Harrington as well.

That's the American way of doing thing Diggers, picking on name. It doesn't work for their players and it hasn't really worked for their captains. Captains should not be picked on their prior history in the game or how many majors they've won or whether you think they've "earned it", but their suitability for the job and I can't see that Lyle had it, and I don't think Harrington is bright enough to do it.


I don't know if Padraig would be a good captain or not. Somebody mentioned that he might be too individualistic which is a possibility. He would also have to be careful not to try to do too much and get in the players' way. They're well capable of managing for themselves for the rest of the year so they don't need their hands held at all.

However I can't let the above go without comment. It's extraordinary how anybody could observe Padraig and get him so wrong. He is as intelligent a sportsman as I have ever seen interviewed and he is clearly a deep thinker about the psychology of sport and performance in general. He is one of the few golfers who never gives a bland answer to a question. If I was to criticise, I would say that he has probably shared too many of his thoughts at times when sometimes the less said the better. To describe him as 'not bright' is quite frankly bizarre.
Tend to agree with this. Sometimes I think he overthinks things too much.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 7522
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Tinmar on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 5:17 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Tinmar,
Obviously Padraig & Sergio have had differences for a decade or more. Are there any other relationship skeletons in his closet?
If Rory & Rosey have endorsed him, presumably that's a positive sign.

Kwini,

Difficulties with Sergio arose from going head to head in two Majors in the space of 13 months. Sergio wasn't very gracious in defeat but there was probably fault on both sides. Padraig also had a disagreement with Jose Maria Olazabal a few years before that in a Seve Trophy match. It was something about a drop Olly wanted to take. Padraig wasn't sure and suggested getting a ruling from the referee. Olly felt he was being accused of cheating and angrily conceded the hole. Padraig strongly denied that he had been implying that in any way.

No other skeletons that I'm aware of!

Tinmar

Posts : 174
Join date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Diggers on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 5:43 pm

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:If MAJ didn’t have silly hair and smoked a cigar he’d just be another decent golfer. I doubt anyone has a clue if he’s decent leader material or not. Anyway, it really should just go to someone who as a player earned it. Lyle should have had it, Harrington as well.

That's the American way of doing thing Diggers, picking on name. It doesn't work for their players and it hasn't really worked for their captains. Captains should not be picked on their prior history in the game or how many majors they've won or whether you think they've "earned it", but their suitability for the job and I can't see that Lyle had it, and I don't think Harrington is bright enough to do it.


Bjorn picked players he thought would fit in, like Garcia and Poulter, even though it was questionable whether they had "earned" the right to be there, Furyk picked on name and reputation and it blew up in his face.

I'd much rather have someone like Paul McGinley than Nick Faldo for example (even if Mac does think he's a desperate loser, the players said he did everything right). Just being a bigger "name" in the game is a terrible reason to pick a captain. I'm so glad that Lyle didn't get it and I hope Westwood doesn't get it, because he's too "matey"  like Clarke and not authoritative enough.

You can’t really quantify the effect a captain has, could be lots, could all be the players. I suspect it’s fairly minimal. Also I’d imagine you’d have slated Woosie a terrible captain. Pretty thick, not articulate, has rubbed other players up the wrong way. Turned out to be great.
It’s not something you can make too many assumptions about, it’s a one off job ((usually) and something they’ve not done before.
Also, have no idea why you think Paddy is thick, other than he has an accent, last time I checked that’s not an indicator of intelligence.


Last edited by Diggers on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Posts : 8349
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 6:02 pm

"Difficulties with Sergio" have certainly extended beyond the Major kerfuffles, not least during the 2013 Open when they got on and off the clock with Harrington speeding up pace of play, then "putting on the handbrake", back on the clock, speeding up again.

I reckon Padraig's self-centred personality must have rubbed up plenty of fellow pros over the years, but seems he and Sergio buried the hatchet (and not in each other's backs) last year. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 6:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:If Harrington doesn't get it for Whistling Straits, he'll never get it. Same for lw in Italy. Two dodgy candidates.
Mad scramble after those two, and there'll be at least a couple of noses bent out of shape.

Agreed, there are too many candidates and not enough candidates Ryder Cups.

Presumably Paddy and Westy in the next 4 years, these guys are in their late 30's and 40's:

Poulter, Stenson, Rose, Sergio, Donald which takes it to 2032 if all 7 of those guys get Captaincy.  (BTW...Rory will be 43 in 2032,  Shocked )


Last edited by GPB on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

GPB

Posts : 6065
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 7:11 pm

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:If Harrington doesn't get it for Whistling Straits, he'll never get it. Same for lw in Italy. Two dodgy candidates.
Mad scramble after those two, and there'll be at least a couple of noses bent out of shape.

Agreed, there are too many candidates and not enough candidates.

Presumably Paddy and Westy in the next 4 years, these guys are in their late 30's and 40's:

Poulter, Stenson, Rose, Sergio, Donald which takes it to 2032 if all 7 of those guys get Captaincy.  (BTW...Rory will be 43 in 2032,  Shocked )


EH? Both Paddy and Westwood are in their late 40's.

super_realist

Posts : 22446
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 7:13 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Tinmar wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:If MAJ didn’t have silly hair and smoked a cigar he’d just be another decent golfer. I doubt anyone has a clue if he’s decent leader material or not. Anyway, it really should just go to someone who as a player earned it. Lyle should have had it, Harrington as well.

That's the American way of doing thing Diggers, picking on name. It doesn't work for their players and it hasn't really worked for their captains. Captains should not be picked on their prior history in the game or how many majors they've won or whether you think they've "earned it", but their suitability for the job and I can't see that Lyle had it, and I don't think Harrington is bright enough to do it.


I don't know if Padraig would be a good captain or not. Somebody mentioned that he might be too individualistic which is a possibility. He would also have to be careful not to try to do too much and get in the players' way. They're well capable of managing for themselves for the rest of the year so they don't need their hands held at all.

However I can't let the above go without comment. It's extraordinary how anybody could observe Padraig and get him so wrong. He is as intelligent a sportsman as I have ever seen interviewed and he is clearly a deep thinker about the psychology of sport and performance in general. He is one of the few golfers who never gives a bland answer to a question. If I was to criticise, I would say that he has probably shared too many of his thoughts at times when sometimes the less said the better. To describe him as 'not bright' is quite frankly bizarre.
Tend to agree with this. Sometimes I think he overthinks things too much.

The bar is not very high.

super_realist

Posts : 22446
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 7:16 pm

GPB,
You've omitted Casey & McDowell, both of whom could also present a strong case.
So that's 7 candidates and only four or five Cups!

(It might behove each to host a British Masters . . . . . . . . !)

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 7:21 pm

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:If Harrington doesn't get it for Whistling Straits, he'll never get it. Same for lw in Italy. Two dodgy candidates.
Mad scramble after those two, and there'll be at least a couple of noses bent out of shape.

Agreed, there are too many candidates and not enough candidates.

Presumably Paddy and Westy in the next 4 years, these guys are in their late 30's and 40's:

Poulter, Stenson, Rose, Sergio, Donald which takes it to 2032 if all 7 of those guys get Captaincy.  (BTW...Rory will be 43 in 2032,  Shocked )


EH? Both Paddy and Westwood are in their late 40's.

EH? Did I imply something other than that? If so where

Kwini, Forgot about GMAC, I don't think Casey has a chance at Captain given his history with the Euro Tour

GPB

Posts : 6065
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 7:26 pm

Paul Casey is in great form though at 41, and could easily qualify for one or two more Teams - it'd be tough to deny him a shout.
Out of all those names, I wonder if Stenson would want it? I can see him as the sort who could walk away from the game?
Whereas it seems Poults has already started his lobbying campaign.

Imagine we could have exactly the same discussion in two years' time.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 7:45 pm

GPB,
Did you see that TJ Vogel came from a long way back to ease thru Stage 1 Q-School?
And: Talking of Ryder Cup Captains: Sean Jacklin needs a good final 9 holes to join him. But Dru Love missed out (those sponsor exemptions will dwindle unless he finds some success soon).


kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 8:59 pm

Maybe a good or average captain won’t make a huge difference, but a bad captain will. Just look at Faldo and the recent crop of old school US captains. They really sucked all blood out of their teams.

pedro

Posts : 6330
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 9:16 pm

Kwini, Have not paid too much attention to Webfbie Q School since Romo failed a couple of weeks and a local kid failed in the Garland Tx Stage I.

Re: Casey and a possible captaincy.

Think he was the impetus behind this:

Euro RC Qualification wrote:Furthermore, the committee also introduced a new regulation stating that players cannot be a European Ryder Cup Captain or a Vice-Captain if they decline membership of the European Tour or fail to fulfil their minimum event obligation in any season, from 2018 onwards.

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/europe/ryder-cup-qualification-changes

OK, it says 2018 and onwards, but given Casey's relationship with Euro Tour, I don't think it puts him very good position to get a Captaincy.

EDITED to ADD:

Stenson on Disabled List:

GPB

Posts : 6065
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Diggers on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 9:49 pm

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Tinmar wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:If MAJ didn’t have silly hair and smoked a cigar he’d just be another decent golfer. I doubt anyone has a clue if he’s decent leader material or not. Anyway, it really should just go to someone who as a player earned it. Lyle should have had it, Harrington as well.

That's the American way of doing thing Diggers, picking on name. It doesn't work for their players and it hasn't really worked for their captains. Captains should not be picked on their prior history in the game or how many majors they've won or whether you think they've "earned it", but their suitability for the job and I can't see that Lyle had it, and I don't think Harrington is bright enough to do it.


I don't know if Padraig would be a good captain or not. Somebody mentioned that he might be too individualistic which is a possibility. He would also have to be careful not to try to do too much and get in the players' way. They're well capable of managing for themselves for the rest of the year so they don't need their hands held at all.

However I can't let the above go without comment. It's extraordinary how anybody could observe Padraig and get him so wrong. He is as intelligent a sportsman as I have ever seen interviewed and he is clearly a deep thinker about the psychology of sport and performance in general. He is one of the few golfers who never gives a bland answer to a question. If I was to criticise, I would say that he has probably shared too many of his thoughts at times when sometimes the less said the better. To describe him as 'not bright' is quite frankly bizarre.
Tend to agree with this. Sometimes I think he overthinks things too much.

The bar is not very high.

A bit like the fossil fuel industry then.

Diggers

Posts : 8349
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 9:51 pm

I’d like to see Casey as a ET regular in the next 4-5 years, make the team the next two times followed by 2-3 stints as VC before I think he’d have even a remote chance of the gig.

pedro

Posts : 6330
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Diggers on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 10:02 pm

Why would be go back to Europe when his home is in the states and he’s playing arguably the best golf of his career on courses that suit him. Heck of a lot to leave just for the chance of an “honour” he probably won’t get anyway.

Diggers

Posts : 8349
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Sat 13 Oct 2018, 1:45 am

Casey's at the bat in South Korea next week, regardless of whether "his home is in the States", following a doubtless profitable excursion to Kuala Lumpur this week.
Hatton and Poults there also, Willett and McDowell too, plus Rafa & Alex Noren. Good field with Jason Day, Justin Thomas and Koepka there as well.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Sat 13 Oct 2018, 11:16 pm

Spieth committed to the Shriners event. Probably the first of several new stops on his schedule.

GPB

Posts : 6065
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 12:56 am

GPB wrote:Spieth committed to the Shriners event.  Probably the first of several new stops on his schedule.


Thanks for the tip.
Pretty good field, at least for top ranked players, w/Finau, Fowler, Simpson & BDeC, plus defending champ Cantlay. Jacobson & Stadler back from extended stays in sick bay, though they've both been warming up elsewhere.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 10:37 pm

Just watched Langer back to his best on the Champo Tour - up to $26.5M in career earnings on the Champions Tour alone.
Miguel-Angel up close to $6M already.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 12:44 am

ICYMI, Jack Nicklaus's grandson Nick O'Leary is a tight end for the NFL's Miami Dolphins. He caught his first Touchdown pass today.

GPB

Posts : 6065
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 1:05 am

GPB wrote:ICYMI, Jack Nicklaus's grandson Nick O'Leary is a tight end for the NFL's Miami Dolphins.  He caught his first Touchdown pass today.

Except for the one he caught last year for the Billies . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 1:21 am

I must have mis-interpreted Jack's tweet

https://twitter.com/jacknicklaus/status/1051584079320240134

GPB

Posts : 6065
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 1:46 am

Jack doesn't do Buffalo, too blue for him.

kwinigolfer

Posts : 24664
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 2:36 am

~~~~~~~~~~sigh~~~~~~~~~~

GPB

Posts : 6065
Join date : 2012-02-10
Location : Midwest, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: PGA Tour: Malaysia / S.Korea: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum