Post Schmidt Ireland

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Geen sport voor watjes on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 10:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

It must be clearer than ever who would be the best to take over after joe. This year will probably be the clincher

Geen sport voor watjes

Posts : 523
Join date : 2015-11-13

Back to top Go down


Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 12:06 pm

Let's be brutally honest here - you need balls in a scrum!  Gotta get a grip of something.

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 11:34 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I'd say it's down to schmidt if he now considers himself Irish or not

Well I guess according to this article Schmidt does consider himself Irish. I quote:

"I wanted to be Irish without being plastic" – Joe Schmidt on his Irish citizenship

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i-wanted-to-be-irish-without-being-plastic-joe-schmidt-on-his-irish-citizenship-31500571.html

He has been a citizen for about 4 years now.

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by ebop on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:06 pm

So he’s been an Irish citizen for 4 years now, that truly is an amazing commitment. I have to wish plastic Joe all the very best in Ireland given the sacrifice.
avatar
ebop

Posts : 4456
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:10 pm

ebop wrote:So he’s been an Irish citizen for 4 years now, that truly is an amazing commitment.

Don't be jealous. He has stated before that he and his family felt Irish before they got the citizenship. After all he first lived in Ireland 23 years ago.

Which annoys you most that you were proven wrong or that Joe the best coach in world rugby wants to be Irish?

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by ebop on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:13 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
ebop wrote:So he’s been an Irish citizen for 4 years now, that truly is an amazing commitment.

Don't be jealous. He has stated before that he and his family felt Irish before they got the citizenship. After all he first lived in Ireland 23 years ago.
To be perfectly honest, I hope plastic Joe stays in Ireland.
avatar
ebop

Posts : 4456
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm

ebop wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
ebop wrote:So he’s been an Irish citizen for 4 years now, that truly is an amazing commitment.

Don't be jealous. He has stated before that he and his family felt Irish before they got the citizenship. After all he first lived in Ireland 23 years ago.
To be perfectly honest, I hope plastic Joe stays in Ireland. It’d break your heart if he left for starters.

I hope he does too. We wouldn't want to pass on our knowledge to the ABs. Can you imagine how good they would be if they had a coach with the pedigree of Schmidt?

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by ebop on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:17 pm

RWC flop?
avatar
ebop

Posts : 4456
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:18 pm

ebop wrote:RWC flop?

That's a harsh thing to call Graham Henry.

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by ebop on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:25 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
ebop wrote:RWC flop?

That's a harsh thing to call Graham Henry.
RWC winner is Sir Graham Henry

Unlike plastic Joe
avatar
ebop

Posts : 4456
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm

I love being 2nd.  It means you still got something to look up to.  Looking down all the time is the true nailbiter.

Anyway, I'm angry though at Joe.  Given that he's now Post-Plastic Paddy Irish - highest grade of Irishman after Yank grade, - seems we'll have to charge him with Treason if he goes back to New Zealand.  Fraternising with the enemy, divulging State rugby secrets, industrial espionage, working for Russia who work for Trump!!!

I think we should just jail him now before he slips onto the plane surreptitiously.

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:35 pm

ebop wrote:Face it Guns, you’re struggling to cope with being ranked #2. You’re putting in a good shift though to be fair.

Steven Hansen flopped out of the 2003 RWC quarters in his first gig as international coach with Wales.

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:36 pm

ebop wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
ebop wrote:RWC flop?

That's a harsh thing to call Graham Henry.
RWC winner is Sir Graham Henry

Unlike plastic Joe

Both Henry and Hansen flopped out in the quarters in their first gig.

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:41 pm

Joe Schmidt?  I think he's special. He's a very special coach


Oops...that wasn't me who said that.  Apologies to Graham for stealing his quote.

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by ebop on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:44 pm

Plastic Joe is special

In his own special kind of Irish way

Can I call him Irish or is it too soon?
avatar
ebop

Posts : 4456
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by marty2086 on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 12:46 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
ebop wrote:Has Schmidt said he considers himself Irish?

No however he is an Irish citizen (that means he is Irish) and his kids have said they support Ireland in rugby. Thats enough for me. He has also been linked to Ireland since the early 90s and by all accounts very settled here.

His son even plays for Ireland 7s

marty2086

Posts : 10246
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 32
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 1:07 pm

ebop wrote:Plastic Joe is special

In his own special kind of Irish way

Can I call him Irish or is it too soon?

Ask Hansen, ebop. Don't want to annoy him by speaking out of turn now. Wink If he's okay with you calling Plastic Joe Irish, then you have our blessing too.

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 1:08 pm

ebop wrote:Plastic Joe is special

In his own special kind of Irish way

Can I call him Irish or is it too soon?

Which are you most annoyed about? The fact that you were wrong or that he wants to be considered Irish?

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 1:10 pm

He's annoyed that people like Joe pollute the oceans. I agree with ebop on that score.

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by The Great Aukster on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 1:24 pm

SecretFly wrote:He's annoyed that people like Joe pollute the oceans.  I agree with ebop on that score.

You can't blame someone for having a yeti-sized carbon footprint when they're just trying to flee from a backwater.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 4722
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 1:44 pm

Jeez. Is this the primary school debating forum?

avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6020
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 2:04 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Jeez.   Is this the primary school debating forum?


Are you denying children the right to opinions!!??? *Post-Millennial Shock Trauma*

I'm going to ring Joe Duffy this INSTANT!

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by profitius on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 3:26 pm

JS as German as fleischwurst and saurkraut. boxing
avatar
profitius

Posts : 4077
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Brendan on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 8:28 pm

As long as Joe doesn't set up base in Siapan before the WC and have a fight with Peter O'Mahoney. We should be ok. Those opinionated Munstermen anything to get a chip on their shoulder.

Joe picks all those Leinster boys to annoy the Munster lads so they play better. Problem Dec made was giving those Munster men an easy time. It's why they couldn't play with passion each game.

Brendan

Posts : 2011
Join date : 2012-04-08
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by ebop on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 9:55 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
ebop wrote:Plastic Joe is special

In his own special kind of Irish way

Can I call him Irish or is it too soon?

Which are you most annoyed about? The fact that you were wrong or that he wants to be considered Irish?
I’m just annoyed I haven’t been calling him Plastic Joe all this time. A missed opportunity.
avatar
ebop

Posts : 4456
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Taylorman on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 11:19 pm

SecretFly wrote:He's annoyed that people like Joe pollute the oceans.  I agree with ebop on that score.

clap drumroll

Taylorman

Posts : 9873
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sin é on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:25 pm

I expect Joe to stay on for another 2 years which will be reduced to 1 when he gets the job of Lions coach.

I can see ROG coming back from NZ as Ireland backs coach. The contenders are probably Lancaster and Farrell, though I'm not sure either want the job as they both seem to like coaching rather than directing coaching. Similarly with ROG, he likes the coaching part.

Leo is turning out to be a very good head coach/director of rugby. Maybe him moving to Ireland with Lancaster staying with Leinster.

avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13565
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:30 pm

Sin é wrote:I expect Joe to stay on for another 2 years which will be reduced to 1 when he gets the job of Lions coach.

I can see ROG coming back from NZ as Ireland backs coach. The contenders are probably Lancaster and Farrell, though I'm not sure either want the job as they both seem to like coaching rather than directing coaching. Similarly with ROG, he likes the coaching part.

Leo is turning out to be a very good head coach/director of rugby. Maybe him moving  to Ireland with Lancaster staying with Leinster.


Im with you on most of that. I am reasonably confident Schmidt will extend his contract beyond the RWC.

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:30 pm

Schmidt is a hands on coach.... you don't have to lose that just because you take the top job.

I think Lancaster's problem with England is that he overcame himself, he applied too much organisational pressure to himself because he probably felt he was dropped in at the deep end and so couldn't relax.

I think he said himself that it was he who got the balance wrong, not so much that the job itself demanded that he leave the coaching to one side.

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sin é on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:36 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:I expect Joe to stay on for another 2 years which will be reduced to 1 when he gets the job of Lions coach.

I can see ROG coming back from NZ as Ireland backs coach. The contenders are probably Lancaster and Farrell, though I'm not sure either want the job as they both seem to like coaching rather than directing coaching. Similarly with ROG, he likes the coaching part.

Leo is turning out to be a very good head coach/director of rugby. Maybe him moving  to Ireland with Lancaster staying with Leinster.


Im with you on most of that. I am reasonably confident Schmidt will extend his contract beyond the RWC.

Hey Guns, didn't know you were Australian! I thought you were pure paddy thumbsup
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13565
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sin é on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:37 pm

SecretFly wrote:Schmidt is a hands on coach.... you don't have to lose that just because you take the top job.

I think Lancaster's problem with England is that he overcame himself, he applied too much organisational pressure to himself because he probably felt he was dropped in at the deep end and so couldn't relax.

I think he said himself that it was he who got the balance wrong, not so much that the job itself demanded that he leave the coaching to one side.

I'm not sure Schmidt has the balance right because he seems to be a complete control freak!
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13565
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by rodders on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:41 pm

I honestly don't think ROG is interested in coaching in Ireland, he has a lot of more lucrative options at club level.

I think the successor to Joe will be Farrell, with Lancaster as his assistant. O'Connell perhaps as forward coach.
avatar
rodders

Posts : 24551
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 37

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:44 pm

Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:I expect Joe to stay on for another 2 years which will be reduced to 1 when he gets the job of Lions coach.

I can see ROG coming back from NZ as Ireland backs coach. The contenders are probably Lancaster and Farrell, though I'm not sure either want the job as they both seem to like coaching rather than directing coaching. Similarly with ROG, he likes the coaching part.

Leo is turning out to be a very good head coach/director of rugby. Maybe him moving  to Ireland with Lancaster staying with Leinster.


Im with you on most of that. I am reasonably confident Schmidt will extend his contract beyond the RWC.

Hey Guns, didn't know you were Australian! I thought you were pure paddy thumbsup

In terms of DNA ancestry I'm 93% Irish, 6% Finnish and 1% Nigerian. In terms of citizenship I'm Irish Australian. I was born in Australia and moved to Ireland later in life.

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sin é on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:45 pm

rodders wrote:I honestly don't think ROG is interested in coaching in Ireland, he has a lot of more lucrative options at club level.

I think the successor to Joe will be Farrell, with Lancaster as his assistant. O'Connell perhaps as forward coach.

I think ROG had a free pass from his wife as to where they went while the kids were young and in primary school. He has mentioned that his eldest twins will be starting secondary school in a year or so and also he says his wife is anxious to come home because her parents are getting on a bit now.

I think ROG would probably see it as a good learning curve to spend some time working with Schmidt. At the moment he seems intent on building up his experience.
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13565
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sin é on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:47 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:I expect Joe to stay on for another 2 years which will be reduced to 1 when he gets the job of Lions coach.

I can see ROG coming back from NZ as Ireland backs coach. The contenders are probably Lancaster and Farrell, though I'm not sure either want the job as they both seem to like coaching rather than directing coaching. Similarly with ROG, he likes the coaching part.

Leo is turning out to be a very good head coach/director of rugby. Maybe him moving  to Ireland with Lancaster staying with Leinster.


Im with you on most of that. I am reasonably confident Schmidt will extend his contract beyond the RWC.

Hey Guns, didn't know you were Australian! I thought you were pure paddy thumbsup

In terms of DNA ancestry I'm 93% Irish, 6% Finnish and 1% Nigerian. In terms of citizenship I'm Irish Australian. I was born in Australia and moved to Ireland later in life.

Holy moses, how do you know you are 1% Nigerian? What age were you when you moved back to Ireland?
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13565
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:49 pm

Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:I expect Joe to stay on for another 2 years which will be reduced to 1 when he gets the job of Lions coach.

I can see ROG coming back from NZ as Ireland backs coach. The contenders are probably Lancaster and Farrell, though I'm not sure either want the job as they both seem to like coaching rather than directing coaching. Similarly with ROG, he likes the coaching part.

Leo is turning out to be a very good head coach/director of rugby. Maybe him moving  to Ireland with Lancaster staying with Leinster.


Im with you on most of that. I am reasonably confident Schmidt will extend his contract beyond the RWC.

Hey Guns, didn't know you were Australian! I thought you were pure paddy thumbsup

In terms of DNA ancestry I'm 93% Irish, 6% Finnish and 1% Nigerian. In terms of citizenship I'm Irish Australian. I was born in Australia and moved to Ireland later in life.

Holy moses, how do you know you are 1% Nigerian? What age were you when you moved back to Ireland?

I was 3 but I go back a fair bit. I know because I got a DNA test.

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sin é on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:53 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:I expect Joe to stay on for another 2 years which will be reduced to 1 when he gets the job of Lions coach.

I can see ROG coming back from NZ as Ireland backs coach. The contenders are probably Lancaster and Farrell, though I'm not sure either want the job as they both seem to like coaching rather than directing coaching. Similarly with ROG, he likes the coaching part.

Leo is turning out to be a very good head coach/director of rugby. Maybe him moving  to Ireland with Lancaster staying with Leinster.


Im with you on most of that. I am reasonably confident Schmidt will extend his contract beyond the RWC.

Hey Guns, didn't know you were Australian! I thought you were pure paddy thumbsup

In terms of DNA ancestry I'm 93% Irish, 6% Finnish and 1% Nigerian. In terms of citizenship I'm Irish Australian. I was born in Australia and moved to Ireland later in life.

Holy moses, how do you know you are 1% Nigerian? What age were you when you moved back to Ireland?

I was 3 but I go back a fair bit. I know because I got a DNA test.

Handy having the old Australian passport. Interesting that your DNA test showed up 1% Nigerian.
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13565
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 3:55 pm

Yes it is but Id say while most Irish people have very homogenous DNA its not unusual to have some unexpected traces from other regions.

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 4:04 pm

Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:I expect Joe to stay on for another 2 years which will be reduced to 1 when he gets the job of Lions coach.

I can see ROG coming back from NZ as Ireland backs coach. The contenders are probably Lancaster and Farrell, though I'm not sure either want the job as they both seem to like coaching rather than directing coaching. Similarly with ROG, he likes the coaching part.

Leo is turning out to be a very good head coach/director of rugby. Maybe him moving  to Ireland with Lancaster staying with Leinster.


Im with you on most of that. I am reasonably confident Schmidt will extend his contract beyond the RWC.

Hey Guns, didn't know you were Australian! I thought you were pure paddy thumbsup

In terms of DNA ancestry I'm 93% Irish, 6% Finnish and 1% Nigerian. In terms of citizenship I'm Irish Australian. I was born in Australia and moved to Ireland later in life.

Holy moses, how do you know you are 1% Nigerian? What age were you when you moved back to Ireland?

I was 3 but I go back a fair bit. I know because I got a DNA test.

Handy having the old Australian passport. Interesting that your DNA test showed up 1% Nigerian.

Explains why he was rooting for Adeolokun - these blow-ins always stick together...
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6020
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 4:43 pm

It looks like Schmidt will decide in the coming weeks whether or not to extend his contract beyond the next RWC. Interesting.

Collapse2005

Posts : 1929
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Brendan on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 5:09 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Sin é wrote:I expect Joe to stay on for another 2 years which will be reduced to 1 when he gets the job of Lions coach.

I can see ROG coming back from NZ as Ireland backs coach. The contenders are probably Lancaster and Farrell, though I'm not sure either want the job as they both seem to like coaching rather than directing coaching. Similarly with ROG, he likes the coaching part.

Leo is turning out to be a very good head coach/director of rugby. Maybe him moving  to Ireland with Lancaster staying with Leinster.


Im with you on most of that. I am reasonably confident Schmidt will extend his contract beyond the RWC.

Hey Guns, didn't know you were Australian! I thought you were pure paddy thumbsup

In terms of DNA ancestry I'm 93% Irish, 6% Finnish and 1% Nigerian. In terms of citizenship I'm Irish Australian. I was born in Australia and moved to Ireland later in life.

Holy moses, how do you know you are 1% Nigerian? What age were you when you moved back to Ireland?

I was 3 but I go back a fair bit. I know because I got a DNA test.

Handy having the old Australian passport. Interesting that your DNA test showed up 1% Nigerian.

Explains why he was rooting for Adeolokun - these blow-ins always stick together...

According to some politicians 1% means you can consider yourself Nigerian.

Brendan

Posts : 2011
Join date : 2012-04-08
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 6:34 pm

Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Schmidt is a hands on coach.... you don't have to lose that just because you take the top job.

I think Lancaster's problem with England is that he overcame himself, he applied too much organisational pressure to himself because he probably felt he was dropped in at the deep end and so couldn't relax.

I think he said himself that it was he who got the balance wrong, not so much that the job itself demanded that he leave the coaching to one side.

I'm not sure Schmidt has the balance right because he seems to be a complete control freak!

Boom! Boom! It's the way ya tell 'em, Sin Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 6:42 pm

Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:I honestly don't think ROG is interested in coaching in Ireland, he has a lot of more lucrative options at club level.

I think the successor to Joe will be Farrell, with Lancaster as his assistant. O'Connell perhaps as forward coach.

I think ROG had a free pass from his wife as to where they went while the kids were young and in primary school. He has mentioned that his eldest twins will be starting secondary school in a year or so and also he says his wife is anxious to come home because her parents are getting on a bit now.

I think ROG would probably see it as a good learning curve to spend some time working with Schmidt. At the moment he seems intent on building up his experience.

A big reason why ROG should never get the job.  He'd have the players turning up a day late to the games.  You need a bit of maths for the job and you need to know exactly the year your kids are starting secondary.

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by profitius on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 8:06 pm

I don't want ROG or POC coaching Ireland until they've proved they're good coaches. Let the work their way up.
avatar
profitius

Posts : 4077
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sin é on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 8:16 pm

profitius wrote:I don't want ROG or POC coaching Ireland until they've proved they're good coaches. Let the work their way up.

Isn't that what ROG has been doing for the last 5 or 6 years? I doubt very much if ROG was a useless coach he would be backs coach of the Crusaders (who have just won a Super Rugby title).

POC is only starting now with Stade. He isn't even sure he wants to be a coach.

avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13565
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sin é on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 8:17 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:I honestly don't think ROG is interested in coaching in Ireland, he has a lot of more lucrative options at club level.

I think the successor to Joe will be Farrell, with Lancaster as his assistant. O'Connell perhaps as forward coach.

I think ROG had a free pass from his wife as to where they went while the kids were young and in primary school. He has mentioned that his eldest twins will be starting secondary school in a year or so and also he says his wife is anxious to come home because her parents are getting on a bit now.

I think ROG would probably see it as a good learning curve to spend some time working with Schmidt. At the moment he seems intent on building up his experience.

A big reason why ROG should never get the job.  He'd have the players turning up a day late to the games.  You need a bit of maths for the job and you need to know exactly the year your kids are starting secondary.

He wouldn't have anything to do with telling the players anything as Backs coach. His kids have been jumping around educational systems - they spent half of last year in NZ and are now back in France since September. Presumably they will be off back to NZ again for the new season.
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13565
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sin é on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 8:19 pm

Just on the subject of ex players and their kids - Doug Howlett has 4 boys and a girl. Bound to be one or two rugby players in there somewhere - I wonder wonder will they want to play for Ireland or NZ?
avatar
Sin é

Posts : 13565
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 8:51 pm

Sin é wrote:

He wouldn't have anything to do with telling the players anything as Backs coach. His kids have been jumping around educational systems - they spent half of last year in NZ and are now back in France since September. Presumably they will be off back to NZ again for the new season.

For sure he's one of the most zany frequent fliers on the planet going by where he pops up and when.  He'll want to slow down those antics as he gets older sure enough.  Monday he's coaching in New Zealand.  In the afternoon, he's doing a photoshoot outside Lansdowne.  Evening he's playing Golf in Florida, and night time he beds down in his home back in New Zealand.  He pops up everywhere!

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Geen sport voor watjes on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 11:19 pm

Guns is still 100% muck savage.

Rog is in no hurry. He is still learning and one mistake ands it’s EOS all over. He would only come back if Schmidt asked him (which is possible but not sure joe would want to rock a steady ship). If anything the irfu should look to get rog involved in Connacht down the line

Geen sport voor watjes

Posts : 523
Join date : 2015-11-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Pot Hale on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 11:33 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:Guns is still 100% muck savage.

Rog is in no hurry. He is still learning and one mistake ands it’s EOS all over. He would only come back if Schmidt asked him (which is possible but not sure joe would want to rock a steady ship). If anything the irfu should look to get rog involved in Connacht down the line

Now that would be fun to watch. I presume the IRFU plan is to have one in every province. Eventually.
avatar
Pot Hale

Posts : 6020
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 67
Location : Dubhlinn

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by SecretFly on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 11:36 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:Guns is still 100% muck savage.

Rog is in no hurry. He is still learning and one mistake and it’s EOS all over. He would only come back if Schmidt asked him (which is possible but not sure joe would want to rock a steady ship). If anything the irfu should look to get rog involved in Connacht down the line

Why not simply Munster?  Leo, a less celebrated player, walked right off the playing field into Leinster.  If O'Gara wanted to come home, and I'm not sure that he really does yet, he'd easily step into a role at Munster...maybe even Leinster.  
He's done enough talk about coaching as a learner.  Time is moving on.  If he wants to end the apprenticeship narrative that has followed him both to France and now New Zealand, he'll have to leave all that 'learning' talk behind him and instead emphasise that he is now a teacher.
I do though think he enjoys being outside the Irish pressure cooker and maybe that caution will keep him away for most of his coaching career. Like you say, he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get back.

SecretFly

Posts : 28507
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Schmidt Ireland

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum