Wimbledon to have final set tie-breaks

Go down

Wimbledon to have final set tie-breaks

Post by JuliusHMarx on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Tie-breaks at 12-12 in the final set. I think this is a good move. I'd like to see it at 12-12 in the other slams.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45913728

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon to have final set tie-breaks

Post by MrInvisible on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:13 pm

This is all Isner's fault! Seriously though, this is a v good sensible decision - 12-12 is a nice balance - we get to see the drama of players trying to break/hold serve in a competitive drawn out 5th set, but 12-12 allows it to be concluded before it gets out of hand and adversely impacting upon the schedule and the physical condition of the players.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:58 pm

I agree with the decision. I've been saying they should do this for years.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 am

Gosh. A change by sports administrators that is sensible. Of course it would only be the Australian and the French that would have to change as the USO has a tiebreak, at 6-6, already.
There was little doubt that Anderson had not much left for the final at Wimbledon. People may recall that after the titanic Isner-Mahut match a few years back Isner had to play the next day and promptly lost his first FOUR service games as he was totally cream-crackered.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:39 pm

I am very disappointed. Wimbledon had a chance of bringing the scoring system into modernity from its arcane French medieval origins. I mean love, 15, 30, 40 Deuce, advantage what the heck is that - it doesn't even add up.

In my plan I would have a game of two halves of 45 minutes. A toss determines who is to serve first. The person who loses the point serves next. Points are counted using the decimal system and in units of one. 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. At 45 minutes the umpire blows his whistle and there is a 15 minutes break. In the second half players swap sides and the game recommences. After 90 minutes the umpire blows his whistle and the person with the most points wins. In the case of a tie it will go into extra time 2 x 15 minutes and following that penalties.

I think this is a fair system for both men and women. Now where is my Pimms ...

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum