The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh V Toulon

+17
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
Brendan
TJ
TheMildlyFranticLlama
stub
Heaf
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
yappysnap
des
Artful_Dodger
Eejit
LondonTiger
BigGee
RDW
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Edinburgh V Toulon - Page 3 Empty Edinburgh V Toulon

Post by RDW Fri 19 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Head Coach Richard Cockerill has made just one change to his Edinburgh side as they face three-times Heineken Cup Champions, RC Toulon, at BT Murrayfield tomorrow afternoon (Saturday 20 October, kick-off 3.15pm).

Jaco van der Walt starts at stand-off in the place of Simon Hickey – who drops to the bench – as Edinburgh host their first Heineken Champions Cup fixture since January 2014.

There are two alterations to the bench as Fosroc Scottish Rugby Academy graduate, Luke Crosbie, joins scrum-half Nathan Fowles among the replacements.

Ahead of the fixture, Head Coach Richard Cockerill issued a rallying cry for the city to get behind its club as they face-off against one European rugby’s most star-studded sides.

“A bumper crowd would definitely give us an edge,” said Cockerill. “We’re bringing the three-times European Champions to BT Murrayfield to play Edinburgh.

“It is, to a point, new territory for us in recent history, so I’d love the supporters to come along and get behind their city and support us.

"We’re going to try our best. We’ve always said we’re a side that’s developing, but we’re learning our lessons quickly.

"As I’ve always said, we’re going to try and win every time we play. We didn’t last weekend, but we gave Montpellier one hell of a fright.

“The next step is to start picking off these big teams and we’re going to try and that against Toulon this Saturday.”

An unchanged back-three sees fullback Blair Kinghorn named alongside wingers Dougie Fife – a try-scorer in last weekend’s Heineken Champions Cup opener in Montpellier – and Darcy Graham.

In the midfield, Matt Scott – fresh off being named in the Scotland squad for the 2018 Autumn Tests – is partnered by James Johnstone. Henry Pyrgos is selected at scrum-half alongside Van der Walt, who makes only his third start of the season after facing Connacht and Leinster earlier in the season.

An all Scotland tight-five sees hooker and captain Stuart McInally pack down alongside WP Nel and Allan Dell in the front-row, whilst Ben Toolis and Grant Gilchrist continue their partnership in the second-row.

After another all-action performance against Montpellier, Fijian star Bill Mata starts at number eight, with Scotland internationalists Hamish Watson and Magnus Bradbury completing the back-row.

Edinburgh team to face RC Toulon at BT Murrayfield in the Heineken Champions Cup on Saturday 20 October, kick-off 3.15pm – live on BT Sport.

15. Blair Kinghorn (70)

14. Darcy Graham (8)

13. James Johnstone (24)

12. Matt Scott (79)

11. Dougie Fife (113)

10. Jaco van der Walt (21)

9. Henry Pyrgos (6)

1. Allan Dell (50)

2. Stuart McInally (126) CAPTAIN

3. WP Nel (121)

4. Ben Toolis (95)

5. Grant Gilchrist (126)

6. Magnus Bradbury (58)

7. Hamish Watson (87)

8. Bill Mata (42)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (184); 17. Rory Sutherland (66); 18. Simon Berghan (54); 19. Luke Crosbie (14); 20. Jamie Ritchie (55); 21. Nathan Fowles (60); 22. Simon Hickey (6); 23. Chris Dean (70)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh V Toulon - Page 3 Empty Re: Edinburgh V Toulon

Post by Brendan Mon 22 Oct 2018, 8:06 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Brendan wrote:If Newcastle are still last in the Prem when the next rounds comes Edinburgh will be looking at 9pts.  That would leave them on 18 with just 2-3pts needed in their last two games. 
What was the logic behind that statement? After today's game do you still think that?

I was expecting Newcastle to lose on Sunday but now they have won it really makes this group really interesting. While Newcastle have had to play the top teams in the Prem they also lost to Sale by a bit. Edinburgh also made Toulon look ordinary. I guess don't assume things.

The next two rounds will be big for all four teams

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 23 Oct 2018, 7:35 am

Just seen Deano's post match interview. He seems to be pushing the underdog tale, describing Edinburgh as a side stuffed full of international stars.

My one worry is that a split head to head in December could play into Montpellier's hands. Mind you even if they are almost out of the comp, Toulon host their compatriots in round 3 and will not want to lose that one, especially after being humiliated by them I .the T14.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Oct 2018, 8:03 am

To be fair he has a point - we are full of internationals - but as a team we've achieved bugger all over the years. We certainly don't have any European pedigree other than a run to the semis in 2012.

Saying that, Edinburgh probably will be favourites for the first leg. I just hope Newcastle don't discover last season's form before then!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Oct 2018, 8:35 am

In other news, you've got to love Cockerill!

Cockerill’s old team-mate Dean Richards reportedly put his credit card behind the bar on Sunday after his Newcastle side beat Montpellier in the same Champions Cup pool as Edinburgh, so Cockerill was asked if he had done the same.

You know how our players behave when they drink,” he replied. “No. I don’t have a credit card. I’m trying to get one off [Edinburgh managing director] Jonny Petrie, but he’s a tight bugger.

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Oct 2018, 8:59 am

He gets away with murder does Cockers.

They asked him at the Euro cup launch how he was enjoying living in Edinburgh.

His reply 'the weather is terrible and its full of Scotsmen, but other than that it's alright!'

As RDW said, you just got to love him, he just brings this extra dimension to any interview!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 23 Oct 2018, 9:53 am

Just popping in here to say blooooooody well done Edinburgh. To beat Toulon is one thing, to show off with some champagne rugby whilst doing it is another. Cockers has brought out the true Edinburgh.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 23 Oct 2018, 11:28 am

Champagne rugby Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think that living in Embra has brought out Cockers' inner Metrosexual Festival Luvvie.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 23 Oct 2018, 11:33 am

https://youtu.be/LBNAmzZg04A

Cockers discussing his Bikram Yoga habit.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3