The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England?

+53
WELL-PAST-IT
Not grey and not a ghost
mikey_dragon
Yoda
Geordie
tigertattie
Heaf
TightHEAD
TrailApe
Pal Joey
stub
doctor_grey
Scottrf
Pie
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Biltong
Rugby Fan
Golden
LondonTiger
robbo277
LordDowlais
asoreleftshoulder
westisbest
neilthom7
carpet baboon
Engine#4
Duty281
Sin é
Ninjarugby
ebop
theslosty
thebandwagonsociety
Artful_Dodger
Maine man
majesticimperialman
LeinsterFan4life
The Great Aukster
Cyril
No 7&1/2
BamBam
marty2086
rodders
profitius
Brendan
Taylorman
GunsGermsV2
SecretFly
Geen sport voor watjes
eirebilly
Pete330v2
Collapse2005
Pot Hale
57 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England? Empty Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England?

Post by Pot Hale Sat 20 Oct 2018, 3:09 am

Italy 3 Nov - Chicago - Ireland 54-7
Argentina 10 Nov Dublin - 28-17
New Zealand 17 Nov Dublin 16-9
USA 24 Nov Dublin - 52-14

November Total - 150-47

Frontrowers
Rory Best 112 (c)
Rob Herring 6
Sean Cronin 63
Niall Scannell 10

Tadhg Furlong 26
Andrew Porter 9
John Ryan 15

Finlay Bealham 8
Cian Healy 81
Dave Kilcoyne 23
Jack McGrath 51

Locks
Tadhg Beirne 3
Iain Henderson 40 USA
Quinn Roux 7
James Ryan 11
Devin Toner 61

Backrowers

Dan Leavy 10
Josh van der Flier 11
Jordi Murphy 23
Sean O’Brien 51
Peter O’Mahony 50 (vc)
Rhys Ruddock 20
Jack Conan 10
CJ Stander 26

Scrumhalves
John Cooney 3
Kieran Marmion 22
Luke McGrath 6

10s
Jonathan Sexton 76 (vc)
Ross Byrne 2
Joey Carbery 14

Centres
Garry Ringrose 15
Robbie Henshaw 36
Will Addison 2
Bundee Aki 10
Sam Arnold 1
Stuart McCloskey 3

Back three
Andrew Conway 8
Keith Earls 70
Rob Kearney 86
Jordan Larmour 7
Jacob Stockdale 12
Darren Sweetnam 3

Last edited by Pot Hale on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 1:08 pm; edited 14 times in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England? Empty Re: Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England?

Post by profitius Mon 22 Oct 2018, 3:39 pm

Possibles...

James Cronin instead of Kilcoyne
Heffernan if Scannell is injured (,bad timing as he was in great form)
Sweetnam ahead of Wootton
Depends where Schmidt wants to play Addison.
McCloskey ahead of T Farrell
Lowry called in to train with the squad
Burns ahead of Ross Byrne
A backrow bolter like SOB2, Boyle, Timoney
Thornbury or Quinn Roux
The return of the prince, Marty Moore

Most of those are outside bets.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England? Empty Re: Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England?

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 22 Oct 2018, 3:49 pm

I read that the squad will be announced on Wed.

The Irish Times also states that Will Addison is set to be included in the squad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/will-addison-ready-and-willing-to-add-to-joe-schmidt-s-options-1.3668519

Addison can cover wing, fullback, centre and out half so it isn't surprising that Schmidt wants to take a look at him with the RWC around the corner.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 23 Oct 2018, 10:02 am

I'd bet the house on Addison being a shoe-in. Joe has a stiffy for versatility and Addison is nothing if he isn't versatile. The guy is one classy player wherever he plays. I'd rather not lose him from the Ulster squad but Joe's the boss. On that note I'd rather not lose anyone from Ulster to the AIs, Cooney and Addison are just 2 of the players that greatly increase our chance of victory so you see where I'm coming from.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 23 Oct 2018, 10:09 am

While we’re waiting, IRFU published its new five year strategy with the following objectives:

Key IRFU targets for the next five years
– Qualify for at least the semi-finals of the 2019 and 2023 World Cups
– Two or more Six Nations titles
– To be ranked consistently in the top three in the world
– Two or more Champions Cup titles
– Two or more Pro14 titles
– Qualify the Sevens teams for the Tokyo Olympics
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 23 Oct 2018, 10:32 am

Pot Hale wrote:While we’re waiting, IRFU published its new five year strategy with the following objectives:

I am never a big fan of these things for a couple of reason. Leinster could win the next 3 pro14s and the other 3 miss the playoffs every year.

At least it's not like the Scotland one of win a world cup.

My goals would be
1. Top group seeds for 2023
2. Make semis unless knocked out by winner earlier
3. Top 2 in 6Nations for 4 years
4. Euro - teams to make it at least once quarters 4, semis 3, Final 2, winners 1
5. Pro 14 - all to make semis, 3 to make finals 2 to win

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 23 Oct 2018, 10:56 am

Not sure if Schmidt can go away from a predominantly Leinster team for Ireland in the AI's. They are the best team in Europe and work extremely well as a unit. Sure there may be some better individual players from other provinces but the familiarity and understanding is what I feel wins big matches.

Thought Sean Cronin played a blinder on Sunday, he could be in the reckoning as well for me.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 23 Oct 2018, 11:12 am

eirebilly wrote:Not sure if Schmidt can go away from a predominantly Leinster team for Ireland in the AI's. They are the best team in Europe and work extremely well as a unit. Sure there may be some better individual players from other provinces but the familiarity and understanding is what I feel wins big matches.

Thought Sean Cronin played a blinder on Sunday, he could be in the reckoning as well for me.

Is there a balance to be struck though, between Leinster continuity and having a team that is visibly one step up in quality from Leinster - otherwise complacency might set in through over-familiarity with team-mates?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 23 Oct 2018, 11:44 am

Pot Hale wrote:While we’re waiting, IRFU published its new five year strategy with the following objectives:

Oh brilliant, I was wondering when this would come out. Do you have a link?

Those are some big aims. Fair play.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 23 Oct 2018, 11:48 am

Pot Hale wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Not sure if Schmidt can go away from a predominantly Leinster team for Ireland in the AI's. They are the best team in Europe and work extremely well as a unit. Sure there may be some better individual players from other provinces but the familiarity and understanding is what I feel wins big matches.

Is there a balance to be struck though, between Leinster continuity and having a team that is visibly one step up in quality from Leinster - otherwise complacency might set in through over-familiarity with team-mates?  

You may have a point here in that familiarity may cause over confidence leading to complacency but it is not something I have noticed in the Leinster team myself.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 23 Oct 2018, 4:58 pm

Brendan wrote:

I am never a big fan of these things for a couple of reason. Leinster could win the next 3 pro14s and the other 3 miss the playoffs every year.

At least it's not like the Scotland one of win a world cup.

My goals would be
1. Top group seeds for 2023
2. Make semis unless knocked out by winner earlier
3. Top 2 in 6Nations for 4 years
4. Euro - teams to make it at least once quarters 4, semis 3, Final 2, winners 1
5. Pro 14 - all to make semis, 3 to make finals 2 to win

No way I agree with number 2. Ireland were knocked out by Australia in 1991 and it gives me absolutely no comfort that they went on to win the tournament. The goal to make semis or beyond is the right goal IMO. You have to be ambitious. However, setting the goal is fine but ensuring that all the steps or goals along the way to get you there are in place is the real thing that they need to get right.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 23 Oct 2018, 5:31 pm

RFU Launch Strategic Plan 2018-2023

http://www.irishrugby.ie/downloads/IRFU_Strategic_Plan_2018-2023.pdf

Headline Performance Targets
Men

Semi-finals or better at RWC19/RWC23
2 or more Six Nations Titles
2 or more European Titles
Qualification for 2020 Olympics Sevens
2 or more PRO14 Titles
Qualification for 2022 Sevens World Cup

Women
WRWC21 Qualification & Top 6 Finish
One Six Nations Title (Top 3 otherwise)
Qualification for 2020 Olympics Sevens
Consistent Top 6 Finish Sevens World Series
Attain Sevens World Series Status
Consistent Top 2 Finish U-18 European Sevens

Headline Growth Targets
Overall
210,000 Players
Female: 5,000 Adult Players
1,900 Adult Teams
Female: 300+ Women's & Girls Teams
90% of Coaches accredited
Female: 150 Secondary Schools
95% of Games officiated by Branch Referees
Female: 6,500 Youth Players
80% of Clubs attaining 'Green' Health Check Status
Female: 1,000 Third Level Players
60% of Clubs attaining 'Green' Spirit Programme Status
Female: 450 Female Coaches
80 Female Referees

Speaking about the plan, IRFU Chief Executive Philip Browne said: "The increased profile of rugby driven by on-field success has resulted in an increase in participation, especially through age-grade and the use of modified formats.

"But of course we recognise the many challenges the game faces and we have sought to address these in this Strategic Plan as part of our effort to ensure the game, over the next five years and beyond, will be put on an even stronger footing for the generations to come.

"The game continues to expand at every level and central to this expansion is funding. Currently, our professional teams, at national and provincial level, account for 93% of the game's revenues, of this some 80% is generated by the men's international team.

"This stark statistic is reassuring and concerning in equal measure; the former as it recognises the phenomenal attraction of our senior international team to television rights holders, sponsors and supporters alike, while the latter highlights the extremely narrow base from which every other strand of the game must be funded."

Launching the IRFU Strategic Plan
Commenting on the performance goals outlined in the plan, IRFU Performance Director David Nucifora said: "The focus will be to drive alignment across the game and ensure the talent pathways feed the high performance side of the game with a particular emphasis on Sevens and the interface between clubs and schools and the professional game.

"Key areas of focus will be further advancement of the player management programme, coach education, talent development, investment in research and data analytics and the recruitment and retention of world-leading experts across the range of high performance disciplines. The delivery of a world class high performance centre will be a key element in driving the performance goals targeted over the next five years."

Girls Mini Rugby
Scott Walker, IRFU Rugby Development Director, spoke about the growth goals in the plan, saying: "We recognise that one of rugby's principal challenges is to retain age-grade players, and if such retention can be maximised, the game will grow. Players of all ages have a clear choice as to whether to participate in rugby or not.

"The strongest influence on the choice they make will be the quality of the experience which they have within the game during their formative years. If the experience is positive, then they are likely to remain within the game. If negative, they will be lost from it.

"Therefore, our priorities should be to build a system which provides the best sporting experience for young people in Ireland, and which gives them good reason to continue in rugby. In parallel, the IRFU will work to establish competition formats across 15s and Sevens which allow more players to transition to adult rugby and beyond.

"At the same time the IRFU will embark on a programme of facilities modernisation and development of a network of artificial pitches."

Last edited by Pot Hale on Wed 24 Oct 2018, 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 23 Oct 2018, 6:12 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

You may have a point here in that familiarity may cause over confidence leading to complacency but it is not something I have noticed in the Leinster team myself.

The point behind that is the possible thinking that playing for Leinster vs say Munster has similarities or expectations in some areas between a similarly based Irish side versus say South Africa. If a test side is over represented by one club side it is how they blend in the non players that can make the difference. A Leinster plus thinking can have its drawbacks.

In NZ the Crusaders have been far more dominant than any other side in twenty years but we a very careful the ABs are never thought of as Crusaders plus. In Oz the thinking is Cheika places too much focus on playing Warraths players ahead of others, even when they continue poor form...Foley, Hanigan, Mumm, Phipps etc.

That sort of selectingcan creep in. Thinking that a Leinster based player will recapture his Leinster form while playing test matches can be dangerous.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 23 Oct 2018, 8:04 pm

Taylorman wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

The point behind that is the possible thinking that playing for Leinster vs say Munster has similarities or expectations in some areas between a similarly based Irish side versus say South Africa. If a test side is over represented by one club side it is how they blend in the non players that can make the difference. A Leinster plus thinking can have its drawbacks.

In NZ the Crusaders have been far more dominant than any other side in twenty years but we a very careful the ABs are never thought of as Crusaders plus. In Oz the thinking is Cheika places too much focus on playing Warraths players ahead of others, even when they continue poor form...Foley, Hanigan, Mumm, Phipps etc.

That sort of selectingcan creep in. Thinking that a Leinster based player will recapture his Leinster form while playing test matches can be dangerous.

Spot on T-man. Exactly my thinking - better expressed.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Tue 23 Oct 2018, 11:18 pm

A fully fit Ireland would have the following first choice
Earls
Aki
Murray
Stander
POM
Henderson/Beirne (possibly both)
Best/Scannell

It’s not like when Ireland were Munster + BOD and Tommy.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 24 Oct 2018, 1:46 am

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:A fully fit Ireland would have the following first choice
Earls
Aki
Murray
Stander
POM
Henderson/Beirne (possibly both)
Best/Scannell

It’s not like when Ireland were Munster + BOD and Tommy.

Agreed - If you take it to full 23, then I’d argue

Best, Scannell or Herring
Props are all Leinster though John Ryan could get ahead of Porter
Henderson, Beirne
POM, Stander
Murray, Marmion
Carbery
Aki or Addison
Earls, Stockdale, Conway

Furlong, McGrath, Healy, Toner/Ryan, vdf/Leavy/Ruddock, Sexton, Henshaw/Ringrose, Kearney - 8-10 Leinster
Scannell, Ryan, Beirne, POM, Stander, Murray, Carbery, Earls, Conway - 8-9 Munster
Best, Herring, Henderson, Addison, Stockdale, - 3-5 Ulster
Marmion, Aki - 1/2 Connacht
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Oct 2018, 3:59 am

My team made up of Leinster's Irish vs the other 3 provinces

Healy...............1 James Cronin
Sean Cronin....2 Best
Furlong............3 John Ryan
Toner...............4 Beirne
James Ryan....5 Henderson
Leavy...............6 POM
SOB..................7 Jordi Murphy
Conan..............8 Stander
Luke McGrath..9 Murray
Sexton,.............10 Carbery
McFadden........11 Stockdale
Henshaw..........12 Aki
Ringrose...........13 Chris Farrell
Larmour............14 Earls
R Kearney.........15 Addison

Tracey..............16 Niall Scannell
Jack McGrath..17 Kilcoyne
Porter...............18 Bealham
Molony.............19 Roux
Van Der Flier....20 SOB (Connacht)
Ross Byrne.......21 Burns
McCarthy.........22 Marmion
D Kearney........23 Sweetnam

Not a lot in it. The other 3 provinces would have an advantage in the backs. I didn't even include Cooney, McCluskey, Tom Farrell etc.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Oct 2018, 9:47 am

profitius wrote:

Not a lot in it.

....except that the Left column would win OK Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 24 Oct 2018, 11:47 am

When is the squad announced? I don't see anything on IRFU.ie. I assume its around lunch time today?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 24 Oct 2018, 2:03 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:When is the squad announced? I don't see anything on IRFU.ie. I assume its around lunch time today?

Apparently at around 3 today. OK

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Oct 2018, 2:11 pm

Well there's the proof for Ebop. Gun is schizophrenic.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 24 Oct 2018, 2:15 pm

It's a common misconception but schizophrenia isn't the same thing as having multiple or split personalities.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Oct 2018, 2:49 pm

Yeah, but in a joke it's much more satisfyingly punchy than "Guns has Dissociative Identity Disorder"

And by the way, a potential clinical aspect of schizophrenia (a possible symptom as it were) is indeed sometimes thinking you are someone else.  So it'll do on accuracy levels too Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 24 Oct 2018, 3:18 pm

SecretFly wrote:Yeah, but in a joke it's much more satisfyingly punchy than "Guns has Dissociative Identity Disorder"

And by the way, a potential clinical aspect of schizophrenia (a possible symptom as it were) is indeed sometimes thinking you are someone else.  So it'll do on accuracy levels too Wink

Is secretfly your real name or do you have another identity?

No schizophrenics aren't generally associated with thinking they are someone else, that's the stuff of Hollywood movies.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Oct 2018, 3:21 pm

Sweet Jesus
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 24 Oct 2018, 3:28 pm

I expected the squad announcement to land by now.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 24 Oct 2018, 3:32 pm

Try and contact Guns there Collapse, he may have the squad announcement...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 24 Oct 2018, 3:39 pm

Ireland Squad Nov 2018 - Who’s going to play errr England? 12529210
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 24 Oct 2018, 3:45 pm

Frontrowers
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 111 (c)
Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 7
Sean Cronin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 62
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 26
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 81
Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 6
Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 22
Jack McGrath (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 50
Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 8
John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 15
Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 9

Locks
Tadhg Beirne (Munster) 2
Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 39
Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 6
James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 11
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 60

Backrowers
Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 9
Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 10
Jordi Murphy (Ulster) 23
Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster) 51
Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 50 (vc)
Rhys Ruddock (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 19
CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 26
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 10

Scrumhalves
John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 2
Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 22
Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 6

10s
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 76 (vc)
Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) *
Joey Carbery (Munster) 12

Centres
Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 14
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 36
Will Addison (Enniskillen/Ulster) *
Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 9
Sam Arnold (Garryowen/Munster) *
Stuart McCloskey (Bangor/Ulster) 2

Back three
Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 7
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 70
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 86
Jordan Larmour (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 6
Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 11
Darren Sweetnam (Cork Constitution/Munster) 2

(Number next to player denotes international caps)
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:

No schizophrenics aren't generally associated with thinking they are someone else, that's the stuff of Hollywood movies.

....and medical literature.......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 24 Oct 2018, 4:14 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Eh no.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/schizophrenia/

"Some people think schizophrenia causes a "split personality" or violent behaviour. This is not true.

Its a fantasy dreamt up by Hollywood. Hollywood is full of stuff like that, like how in thriller cop movies they always try to keep the serial killer on the line so they can triangulate their position. The reality is they can determine the position of a caller instantly, you don't need to keep anyone on the phone.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Oct 2018, 5:07 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Eh no.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/schizophrenia/

"Some people think schizophrenia causes a "split personality" or violent behaviour. This is not true.

First violence:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181618/

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/schizophrenia/aggression-and-impulsivity-schizophrenia

Now the 'thinking they is someone else bit:

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/conditions/schizophrenia

https://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/schizophrenia-symptoms#1

Are all Schizophrenics violent?  No - but the condition can lead to aggression and therefore violence.
Do all Schizophrenics think they are Donald Trump?  No - but the symptom can be present as a distinct variant of the grandiose delusion such people can experience.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 24 Oct 2018, 6:59 pm

I thought we were talking about split personality not violence. The links you have provided all say its not related to split personality disorder. You are talking shoite as usual.

In other news Murray back soon.

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/conor-murray-injury-rumours-399485

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 24 Oct 2018, 10:47 pm

Yes, out for the ABs match for sure. Drawback for their kicking game.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 24 Oct 2018, 10:52 pm

Looks a good squad but I suppose the lack of discussion is it is similar to what was expected. Good to see players who have shown some form getting a shot.

Ulster 8
Connacht 4
Leinster 19
Munster 11
Total if counted right 42

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 24 Oct 2018, 10:54 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yes, out for the ABs match for sure. Drawback for their kicking game.

All part of Joe's plan, it's the secret weapon for the world cup

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Oct 2018, 11:10 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Frontrowers
Rory Best 36 (Banbridge/Ulster) 111 (c)
Finlay Bealham 27 (Buccaneers/Connacht) 7
Sean Cronin 32 (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 62
Tadhg Furlong 26 (Clontarf/Leinster) 26
Cian Healy 31 (Clontarf/Leinster) 81
Rob Herring 28 (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 6
Dave Kilcoyne 29 (UL Bohemians/Munster) 22
Jack McGrath 29 (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 50
Andrew Porter 22 (UCD/Leinster) 8
John Ryan 30 (Cork Constitution/Munster) 15
Niall Scannell 26 (Dolphin/Munster) 9

Locks
Tadhg Beirne 26 (Munster) 2
Iain Henderson 28 (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 39
Quinn Roux 27 (Galwegians/Connacht) 6
James Ryan 22 (UCD/Leinster) 11
Devin Toner 32 (Lansdowne/Leinster) 60

Backrowers
Jack Conan 26 (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 9
Dan Leavy 24 (UCD/Leinster) 10
Jordi Murphy 27 (Ulster) 23
Sean O’Brien 31 (UCD/Leinster) 51
Peter O’Mahony 29 (Cork Constitution/Munster) 50 (vc)
Rhys Ruddock 27 (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 19
CJ Stander 28 (Shannon/Munster) 26
Josh van der Flier 25 (UCD/Leinster) 10

Scrumhalves
John Cooney 28 (Terenure College/Ulster) 2
Kieran Marmion 26 (Corinthians/Connacht) 22
Luke McGrath 25 (UCD/Leinster) 6

10s
Jonathan Sexton 33 (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 76 (vc)
Ross Byrne 23 (UCD/Leinster) *
Joey Carbery 22 (Munster) 12

Centres
Garry Ringrose 23 (UCD/Leinster) 14
Robbie Henshaw 25 (Buccaneers/Leinster) 36
Will Addison 26 (Enniskillen/Ulster) *
Bundee Aki 28 (Galwegians/Connacht) 9
Sam Arnold 22 (Garryowen/Munster) *
Stuart McCloskey 26 (Bangor/Ulster) 2

Back three
Andrew Conway 27 (Garryowen/Munster) 7
Keith Earls 30 (Young Munster/Munster) 70
Rob Kearney 32 (UCD/Leinster) 86
Jordan Larmour 21 (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 6
Jacob Stockdale 22 (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 11
Darren Sweetnam 25 (Cork Constitution/Munster) 2

(Number next to player denotes international caps)

I added player ages too.

Average ages
Backs =25.8
Forwards =27.8
Total =26.9

Average caps =25.6
10 or less caps =18
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Oct 2018, 11:20 pm

For Italy we could be looking at something like

McGrath
Herring
Porter
Roux
Henderson
Ruddock
SOB
Conan

Marmion
Carbery
Sweetnam
McCluskey
Addison
Larmour
Conway

Cronin
Kilcoyne
Ryan/Bealham
Beirne
Leavy
Byrne
Cooney
Arnold

I think it'll be a combination of second team and getting first teamer up to speed. The Italian side has already been named, bizarrely enough.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 24 Oct 2018, 11:32 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yes, out for the ABs match for sure. Drawback for their kicking game.

He also averages almost a try per game against the ABs.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 25 Oct 2018, 1:03 am

Collapse2005 wrote:

Wow...almost a whole one try you mean...Get the calculators out shall we...

One try in 3 for the Lions...

plus 3 tries in 6 for Ireland

Have I missed any?

4 tries in 9 matches, for 6 losses and a draw....hmmm

So in your little world 44% is 'almost one whole try' a match  OK

Or do we now include 'selective' exclusions to bring the average up? Chicago perhaps?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 25 Oct 2018, 1:10 am

profitius wrote:For Italy we could be looking at something like

McGrath, Herring, Porter, Roux, Henderson, Ruddock, SOB, Conan

Marmion, Carbery, Sweetnam, McCluskey, Addison, Larmour, Conway

Cronin, Kilcoyne, Ryan/Bealham, Beirne, Leavy, R Byrne, Cooney, Arnold

I think it'll be a combination of second team and getting first teamer up to speed. The Italian side has already been named, bizarrely enough.

That untested side needs a captain, prof. I know it could be Ruddock but I wouldn’t underestimate the Italians that much. O’Shea would relish such an opportunity. Campagnaro and Morisi are no slouches, and Canna is the best at getting the most from his backline.

I think it has to have either Best or Sexton or possibly POM as one of the ‘Co-captains’. And an experienced head in the back three with either Earls or Kearney. There’s certainly an argument for the Ulster midfield pairing but I’m not sure if it would be a better trial in the USA match.
I might make it a Leinster front row to start of McGrath, Cronin, Porter and a Munster front row to finish with Kilcoyne, Scannell and Ryan. It would be a good fiery bench to unleash though - like the selection.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 25 Oct 2018, 9:32 am

Taylorman wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Wow...almost a whole one try you mean...Get the calculators out shall we...

One try in 3 for the Lions...

plus 3 tries in 6 for Ireland

Have I missed any?

4 tries in 9 matches, for 6 losses and a draw....hmmm

So in your little world 44% is 'almost one whole try' a match  OK

Or do we now include 'selective' exclusions to bring the average up? Chicago perhaps?

Yeah one per game is a stretch alright however, most of the tries (5 I think) have come in his more recent games when he was more established. He has certainly scored more v NZ than Smith has v Ireland and probably more than any player v NZ at the moment. Lol I know you are desperate to discount Chicago and you have lots of ready made excuses.

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 25 Oct 2018, 9:40 am

I think the Italy game is good for Carbey and Cooney to show they can boss an international game.

Considering how well Cooney does with the poorest pack in the provinces he should be fine to boss the pack. With Carbey he gets a running set of backs to show what he can do.

If we want a leader put Bernie up front.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 25 Oct 2018, 11:32 am

Brendan wrote:Looks a good squad but I suppose the lack of discussion is it is similar to what was expected.  Good to see players who have shown some form getting a shot.

Ulster 8
Connacht 4
Leinster 19
Munster 11
Total if counted right 42

Extremely strong squad, in fact the best I can remember.

No issues with the squad but unlucky to miss out are Tom Farrell and Ultan Dillan.

Schmidt seems to like Arnold so that has cost Farrell but in Dillan's case it is just the quality of the second row options. In fact I think Henderson or more likely Toner may slip out of the 23 if Beirne continues his current form.  

In the back row it looks like O'Mahoney and Stander plus A.N. other, with O'Brien as the likely bench option. Schmidt is a big fan of VDF , it is very close between him and Leavy as first choice 7, with the loser probably missing out on the RWC squad in favour of a more versatile back rower.

It's great to see some real depth in the centre, again I would assume Henshaw and Ringrose are fairly nailed on with Aki on the bench but I think Addison is a real dark horse and could be very close to the first choice 23 after the series. Good to see McCloskey get a call up but suspect he and Arnold are needing a few injuries to be close to challenging the big 3.

Half back looks good even without Murray. I'm expecting Marmion to start with McGrath on the bench and Cooney to get a start against the USA or Italy.

I thought Schmidt might take the opportunity to cap Burns to tie him to Ireland so his non-selection suggests he is a long way down the pecking order.

The back 3 still looks like the weakest area. Addison can cover 15 but I think we are very reliant on Earls and Stockdale to be firing on all cylinders to give us any threat out wide. The sooner James Lowe qualifies the better.

Overall expecting 4 convincing wins.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 25 Oct 2018, 11:35 am

I agree. Imagine leaving one of VdF or Leavy out of a RWC squad. Mad.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 25 Oct 2018, 11:45 am

The mood for me is caution.... didn't really have that for the last 6N when I was my most confident ever.

I think we might be hit somewhere.  The obvious hit looks like ABs.  And to be honest, as most might expect it there, it wouldn't be such a shock.  But it'll be embarrassing if we're hit somewhere else instead.

I just feel there is a lot of new tension added to the mix now with players starting out on the beginning of yet another assault on WC placements.  The heads will be all over the place - anticipation of being part of the adventure, injury concerns, saving juice etc etc.  Any loss of focus on process and we're sunk.

Not feeling overly confident. I think our hard preps as a team will be delayed a while longer given how long and important 2019 will be.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 25 Oct 2018, 11:58 am

rodders wrote:
Extremely strong squad, ....

....The back 3 still looks like the weakest area. Addison can cover 15 but I think we are very reliant on Earls and Stockdale to be firing on all cylinders to give us any threat out wide. The sooner James Lowe qualifies the better.

James Lowe is NZ and England qualified through his father. His contract runs until June 2020. He would be three years resident in mid-Nov 2020 so if contract renewed, the earliest he would be available for Ireland selection would be Six Nations 2021 - over 2 years away. Notwithstanding that, the guy suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, and he'll be 31 by the time of RWC 2023.

I wouldn't bet the house on him.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 25 Oct 2018, 12:03 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:

....The back 3 still looks like the weakest area. Addison can cover 15 but I think we are very reliant on Earls and Stockdale to be firing on all cylinders to give us any threat out wide. The sooner James Lowe qualifies the better.

James Lowe is NZ and England qualified through his father.   His contract runs until June 2020.   He would be three years resident in mid-Nov 2020 so if contract renewed, the earliest he would be available for Ireland selection would be Six Nations 2021 - over 2 years away.   Notwithstanding that, the guy suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, and he'll be 31 by the time of RWC 2023.

Are you sideways saying 'let England have him?' Cool

Problem is, even with arthritis, he's still speedier, more elusive and dangerous than just about anything else operating in Ireland right now. Two more years of toil on the bones and joints and he should just be arriving at a level of equality with those other guys. So still good enough to select if still playing and still here.

Hmmm, I wonder is Lancaster whispering sweet stuff in his ears about his English qualifications. Might be a nice meeting point for Lancaster and him a few years down the line in England gear. Such intrigue!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 25 Oct 2018, 12:04 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:

James Lowe is NZ and England qualified through his father.   His contract runs until June 2020.   He would be three years resident in mid-Nov 2020 so if contract renewed, the earliest he would be available for Ireland selection would be Six Nations 2021 - over 2 years away.   Notwithstanding that, the guy suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, and he'll be 31 by the time of RWC 2023.

Jesus does he, that's horrific. Not withstanding that my guess is he will never play for Ireland.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 25 Oct 2018, 12:18 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
rodders wrote:

Are you sideways saying 'let England have him?'  Cool

Problem is, even with arthritis, he's still speedier, more elusive and dangerous than just about anything else operating in Ireland right now.  Two more years of toil on the bones and joints and he should just be arriving at a level of equality with those other guys.  So still good enough to select if still playing and still here.

Hmmm, I wonder is Lancaster whispering sweet stuff in his ears about his English qualifications.  Might be a nice meeting point for Lancaster and him a few years down the line in England gear.  Such intrigue!!!

Remember Te'o at Leinster? He had a contract that would make him residency-qualified. And then big-name Worcester came a-whisperin' 'n' a-callin'. Eddie J sang his his sweet tunes and it was bye-bye Te'o, bye bye.

Lowe has been wonderfully honest about wanting to maximise his earnings given his disease that he's had since childhood that could curtail his career out of the blue. The insurance on him would be strong enough. Lowe will have a decision to make when his current contract finishes. He won't be Irish-qualified. Maybe an English or French club might put a £500,000 3 year contract on the table that would be hard to resist. And if it's an English club, he'd be available for test selection immediately. And Eddie J or his successor starts crooning "Swing Lowe, Sweet Carrot", then....
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next