The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

+30
carpet baboon
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
SirBurger
Pot Hale
Brendan
NeilyBroon
TJ
Tramptastic
Mad for Chelsea
Anglobraveheart
demosthenes
IanBru
Oakdene
George Carlin
bsando
Eejit
Welly
Hazel Sapling
RugbyFan100
jimbopip
tigertattie
EST
EWT Spoons
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
BigGee
34 posters

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 17 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Oct 2018, 9:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Something is going on this year

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh are playing quite well!

Is it a dream, am I imagining it, am I going to wake up in a cold sweat and find out that we are really cr*p again?

Someone please reassure me!!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 17 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by RDW Sat 16 Feb 2019, 10:56 am

Just watched the game - it was a much better performance than I was expecting given the comments last night! We've got plenty to work on but across the 80 it was s decent performance. We definitely need to give credit to the dragons - they were incredibly competitive and awkward but just didn't have an answer to our power and strike force.

Magnus Bradbury - welcome back! He 100% deserved motm having put in a huge shift with the ball and in defence. I'm sure Cockers will want him available for a huge game against the Blues next week but I think he'll be in Paris, at least on the bench. He's everything Scotland's pack needs - an absolute physical specimen who can dominate in attack and defence. Paris will be a huge step up than the dragons at home but he looks fit and in great shape.

We scored some really nice tries and it's pleasing to see is finally managing some first phase strike moves. JJ had a really good game - he's not going to be involved next week for Scotland but he chose a good time to put in a performance like that.

Finally I'm not sure why people are complaining about the crowd cheering opposition mistakes - this literally happens at every team sporting event around the world, including at Scotstoun!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 17 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by EWT Spoons Sat 16 Feb 2019, 11:31 am

Agree 100% with all of this. Except we had some real moments of being piss last night. Cockers kept the team back at half time.

Oh also cockers seems to be playing up Bradburys Scotland chances. I'm not sure he'd be unhappy if toonie called him up. Cockers was reported via the offside line the other day as saying magnus had been in training for about 4 weeks and could easily play France. He then repeated something along those lines on the radio after the game. He actually seems really keen for Scotland and his players to do well internationally.  He kept saying "us & we" when talking about Scotland.

I'd also disagree with the comment that Bradbury started slowly (not from RDW), he went at 100mph from the start and with Townsend in the crowd it was a cracking performance. JJ can't have hurt his chances of at least getting called into the training squad either, can't see him playing but surely deserves a chance to be in the wider squad given all the injuries.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 16 Feb 2019, 12:07 pm

It was the jeering before and after the missed kick that was objectionable.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 16 Feb 2019, 12:09 pm

I'm not saying Bradbury wasn't in contention for MOTM or that it was a crazy call, just that there were better and more influential players in the Edinburgh team.

I would say that Bradbury has a shot at the bench for next week, but I expect Graham to start at 6.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Feb 2019, 12:12 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:It was the jeering before and after the missed kick that was objectionable.
Yeah that's not great, but not exactly uncommon in rugby!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 16 Feb 2019, 12:14 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm not saying Bradbury wasn't in contention for MOTM or that it was a crazy call, just that there were better and more influential players in the Edinburgh team.

I would say that Bradbury has a shot at the bench for next week, but I expect Graham to start at 6.

D'Arcy Graham at 6? Shocked

Mind you, if Basteraued is the right size and shape for an outside centre any position in professional rugby then why not.

On a more serious note; the MFL won, collecting 5 points in the process. Well done. clap

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 16 Feb 2019, 12:14 pm

Yes, Cockers kept them in at half time, and I'm sure harsh words were spoken. The second half was much much better, basically down to the intensity of the defence.

I know I'm harsh, but this team is just capable of so much more. It's a mark of how far we have come. One area that needs work is the 9. Pyrgos got caught twice at the base, gave away a completely daft penalty trying to make amends and generally slowed our attacks down too much. The crowd were getting angry at the lack of policing of the offside line, but I think it's because of Pyrgos being slow. The defence gets that extra second to push up, and it put pressure on the backs the whole time. He needs to up the tempo when we're on the front foot.

Last edited by funnyExiledScot on Sat 16 Feb 2019, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 16 Feb 2019, 12:15 pm

jimbopip wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm not saying Bradbury wasn't in contention for MOTM or that it was a crazy call, just that there were better and more influential players in the Edinburgh team.

Mind you, if Basteraued is the right size and shape for an outside centre any position in professional rugby then why not.

On a more serious note; the MFL won, collecting 5 points in the process. Well done. clap

Why not? He's probably more powerful than Chris Fusaro...

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 16 Feb 2019, 12:22 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Why not? He's probably more powerful than Chris Fusaro...

More powerful? Possibly, but not as fast. Run Note the inspired use of an emoji as visual learning aid.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 16 Feb 2019, 1:00 pm

You've come a long way with your use of technology Jimbo!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Feb 2019, 1:01 pm

Quote, emoji and italics?? Must have got one of his kids to do it...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 16 Feb 2019, 1:28 pm

RDW wrote:Quote, emoji and italics?? Must have got one of his kids to do it...

There was a score out thingie in there as well, Flounder. daahn wif de kids, me.

p.s. Bradbury-Bluto-Ritchie with Arthur Ashe as replacement would be my preferred back row against Les Faux Monnayeurs.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 16 Feb 2019, 2:45 pm

Let's see what kind of game Ashe has today, maybe he can rise to the chdllenge.

I see Bradbury benching and taking over from Josh Strauss when he starts to tire. He had certainly put himself in the mix though

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 16 Feb 2019, 7:12 pm

I just watched the Edinburgh game as well. I agree it was nothing like as bad as the posters were suggesting live. I think you have to credit Drags with their first half performance but they eventually ran out of steam and Edinburgh were utterly dominant in the second half.

Bradbury was good and I thought he deserved his MoM. He is surely going to be involved next weekend.

Crosbie and Graham were also very good, they are going to be in the mix.

Two great tries by Jonhstone, I don't think he will be involved, but will probably be unlucky not to be. He is certainly stating his case.

Looking forward to seeing who comes into the squad on Monday.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Feb 2019, 7:52 pm

Treviso beat Scarlets to be level with Edinburgh in the league.

Looking at their season run in they stand a very good chance of qualifying for a play off place - our game away to them in a few weeks will be huge.

Scarlets have fallen off the pace this season but Ulster are in the mix too - I suspect it's a 3 way fight for the remaining 2 playoff places. Scarlets may still be in the running but have work to do.

It is going to be very tight - all the more frustrating our B team have had such shocking results this season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 16 Feb 2019, 11:22 pm

Turner and Fagerson coming through their returns from injury, and looking pretty good. Fagerson managed 50 minutes, made some decent carries and scrummaged well. Turner was terrific, an all-action game from him, before he came off with cramp after 70, just after making a big 40-50 yard break which saw him sidestep one defender, bounce off another, and draw the last man before making a great offload out of the tackle to Tameilau who ran in the try. Worth pointing out that the game was played at a frenetic pace with very few stoppages (I think there was only one short time-out in the whole first half), and lots of ball-in-play time, so those were pretty decent shifts.

I wonder if there's value in putting Turner on the bench next Saturday, his extra athleticism could come in handy against a (likely) tiring French pack.

Ashe was pretty quiet, didn't make any mistakes but didn't really impose himself on the game. I now wouldn't be surprised to see Bradbury brought straight into the starting XV. Grigg had a decent game, but his tendency to get ahead of the defensive line has to be a concern, he got caught out a few times today (good in attack, mind). Price had another useful game, he's definitely recovered his form after a tough last season.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Feb 2019, 11:29 pm

Rory Hutchison is getting a fair bit of gametime for Northampton just now and scored in their annihilation of Sale today - definitely one for the future and I hope he gets plenty gametime this season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 18 Feb 2019, 4:17 pm

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 19 Feb 2019, 10:00 am

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 19 Feb 2019, 12:09 pm

Two year deal for Brandon Thomson. I really like him and with some more game time I think he can become a big squad player for us.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 19 Feb 2019, 3:45 pm

Edinburgh dished out a few one year contracts today as well.

Baggott, Taylor and that huge prop from Exeter (ex England u20s), who it has taken the whole of the season to get fit enough to play!

A bit of WC cover you would imagine, both squads are going to have to stock up a bit when a lot of players will be away for half the season.

Taylor has certainly looked worth it, not really sure about the other two as they have not really played at this level.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Feb 2019, 3:57 pm

A couple of unknown quantities there from Edinburgh but good signs of forward planning.

Agree on Crosbie having a good game against the Dragons. He's really come on in recent months and is pretty physical at 7. Carries well too.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 19 Feb 2019, 3:59 pm

BigGee wrote:Edinburgh dished out a few one year contracts today as well.

Baggott, Taylor and that huge prop from Exeter (ex England u20s), who it has taken the whole of the season to get fit enough to play!

A bit of WC cover you would imagine, both squads are going to have to stock up a bit when a lot of players will be away for half the season.

Taylor has certainly looked worth it, not really sure about the other two as they have not really played at this level.

Baggott's played a couple of times and he's looked capable. Would be nice if him (and Sheil) got a chance, but that doesn't seem to be cockers way.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Feb 2019, 4:09 pm

Shiel could certainly use a start or two. I know I was overly harsh about Edinburgh the other night, but Pyrgos really was poor on the night and neither Fowles nor Kennedy would seem to be the answer to anything.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Feb 2019, 7:48 pm

In much needed better injury news, Mark Bennett is back in full training and will hopefully play this weekend.

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do in an Edinburgh team that has worked out how to actually attack - he's had pretty limited opportunities so far given we were still a bit rubbish when he was fit.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 19 Feb 2019, 8:26 pm

RDW wrote:In much needed better injury news, Mark Bennett is back in full training and will hopefully play this weekend.

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do in an Edinburgh team that has worked out how to actually attack - he's had pretty limited opportunities so far given we were still a bit rubbish when he was fit.

Cockers said in his interview last week that it would likely be the Treviso game. maybe he will give an update when he does his weekly press this week. They could use him, but he will likely take a few games to get up to speed.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 20 Feb 2019, 8:20 am

It's pretty harsh to be talking about dropping JJ given form this season, but Bennett would bring a seriously welcome boost in depth. Just recalling his form at the last World Cup, and what he's capable of. Hopefully injuries won't have robbed him of pace.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Feb 2019, 8:40 am

at the very least it means Bennett replacing Socino on the bench, which is a huge step up in quality!

it will take Bennett a while to get up to speed anyway - I'd be surprised if he usurps JJ by the Munster game. Strangely, JJ being picked by Scotland (probably unlikely) would potentially make him lose his place at Edinburgh as Bennett will probably get more gametime to stake a claim!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 20 Feb 2019, 9:07 am

Yeah, I've really not been impressed with Socino. Doesn't meet the criteria for an NSQ player in my book, and he reminds me of the sort of player we used to rely on during the dark days of Bradley and Solomons.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 20 Feb 2019, 9:17 am

I don't think Bennett has really played all that well since he joined Edinburgh. His insane injury record hasn't helped, but in the spells when he's been fit, he's only been ok in games.

He's a better bench option than Socino, but that is damming with faint praise.

Bennett probably needs to start showing something different when he comes back, or I reckon there is a good chance he'll be let go at the end of his contract.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Feb 2019, 9:18 am

Spoons - as I previously mentioned I think a large part of that was down to our playing style and tactics. When he was in the team we could have had BoD in his prime at 13 and it wouldn't make a difference - our 13s were never given a chance to come into the game.

That seems to have changed now with the ball going wider earlier, and there are now strike moves involving our 13. Let's see what he does in that environment.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 20 Feb 2019, 9:28 am

Possibly RDW, but he was getting the ball, he just wasn't doing a whole lot with it. He was just someone there, rather than the player he used to be.

I hope he comes in and shows the form and ability he certainly had, I just fear the constant injuries is going to rob him of what made him so exciting in the first place.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Feb 2019, 9:36 am

it is probably a combination of both - he's certainly not looked the same player post major injury, but he's also not been helped by the tactics.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:16 pm

I'm fairly sure a fully fit Bennett would enjoy life in this rejuvenated Edinburgh side.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 21 Feb 2019, 9:47 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm fairly sure a fully fit Bennett would enjoy life in this rejuvenated Edinburgh side.

But he's still not played enough hours of Pro rugby to justify a place in the Scotland team eh FES!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Feb 2019, 7:38 am

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/110783073/scotland-or-new-zealand-hurricanes-halfback-finlay-christie-keeps-both-doors-open

Has to be Scotland - the lad's ginger!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Feb 2019, 7:49 am

RDW wrote:https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/110783073/scotland-or-new-zealand-hurricanes-halfback-finlay-christie-keeps-both-doors-open

Has to be Scotland - the lad's ginger!

He has got a connection to DR but Glasgow not really in the market for a SH, surely it would have to be Edinburgh, who certainly are!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Feb 2019, 7:52 am

Edinburgh need him more than glasgow thats for sure. Would be nice to see another livewire but, dare i say it, we're actually sitting quite comfortably at scrum half i reckon.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Feb 2019, 7:55 am

Another fly half would be nice for Scotland though... Thomson is playing well but i understand he's in the same boat shingler was, which is a shame, as him, hastings and Finn pushing for 10 suddenly makes our depth look that much better

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Feb 2019, 8:00 am

VDW qualifies during next season's AIs - he's a very good all rounder but is a good attacker who would fit in well on our gameplan.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Feb 2019, 8:30 am

Didn't he join from the intro of 5 years? Or am i thinking of VDM?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Feb 2019, 8:48 am

VDM is 3 years too - Schoeman is 5

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Feb 2019, 9:56 pm

https://twitter.com/606v2R/status/1099423077266534400?s=19

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 25 Feb 2019, 10:47 am

Glasgow win with a bonus point, Edinburgh snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Normal service very much resumed then.

A couple of Italians next then and I’ve Got to say I’m pretty chuffed we have the easier of the two. Treviso absolutely liquified Dragons this weeekend and what was once an easy win definitely won’t be for the luvvies next weekend.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Feb 2019, 10:56 am

Probably fair to say Treviso are heavy favourites - if they win they'll be in pole position for 2nd place, which would be a remarkable achivement for them. Whipping boys they are most certainly not anymore.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 25 Feb 2019, 11:27 am

RDW wrote:VDW qualifies during next season's AIs - he's a very good all rounder but is a good attacker who would fit in well on our gameplan.

There's no AIs next season!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Feb 2019, 11:29 am

A very good point.

He'll be available for the 2020 6N then when we will romp to Grand Slab glory!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 25 Feb 2019, 12:11 pm

There’s a guy on reddit who has created what he’s called a super six nations table which combines mens, women’s and u20s results into the one table. Needless to say we’re dead last by a comfortable margin. Not a particularly good look for the SRU.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 26 Feb 2019, 12:02 pm

Mata's signed a 2 year deal with Edinburgh.

I thought he'd be away. So this is nice.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 26 Feb 2019, 12:02 pm

Has to be one of the best re-signings in the pro 14?

100% french clubs would have been after him hard.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next