The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup

+29
Allty
Rugby Fan
Biltong
Eejit
Cyril
Dontheman2
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
Pie
Luckless Pedestrian
Brendan
Mad for Chelsea
demosthenes
IanBru
tigertattie
munkian
reallybored
George Carlin
RDW
mikey_dragon
Artful_Dodger
BamBam
BigGee
RiscaGame
LondonTiger
TJ
TheMildlyFranticLlama
bsando
33 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup - Page 2 Empty Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup

Post by bsando Sun 28 Oct 2018, 11:02 am

First topic message reminder :

WALES vs SCOTLAND

Saturday the 3rd of November 2018

Principality Stadium, Cardiff Wales

KO: 14:45

This game will be the first occasion when a newly created 'Doddie Weir Cup' will be played for - donated by the Welsh Rugby Union, the trophy will continue to be at stake when the two sides meet in future similar circumstances.

In June 2017 former Scotland international and British & Irish Lion Doddie Weir revealed he was suffering from Motor Neurone Disease and, from the outset, has been driven to help fellow sufferers and seek ways to further research into the, as yet, incurable disease.

Doddie and his Trustees launched the registered charity 'My Name'5 Doddie Foundation' and a series of Welsh rugby initiatives over the course of the weekend will raise money for the foundation and bring Scottish and Welsh rugby communities together.

https://www.myname5doddie.co.uk/

Wales Team
1. Nicky Smith (21 Caps) 2. Ken Owens (57 Caps) 3. Dillon Lewis (5 Caps) 4. Cory Hill (18 Caps) 5. Alun Wyn Jones (117 Caps) (CAPT) 6. Dan Lydiate (62 Caps) 7. Justin Tipuric (57 Caps) 8. Ross Moriarty (23 Caps) 9. Gareth Davies (33 Davies) 10. Gareth Anscombe (18 Caps)11. Luke Morgan (*UNCAPPED) 12. Hadleigh Parkes (8 Caps) 13. Jonathan Davies (65 Caps) 14. George North (76 Caps) 15. Leigh Halfpenny (78 Caps)

Replacements: 16. Elliot Dee (10 Caps) 17. Rob Evans (27 Caps) 18. Leon Brown (3 Caps) 19. Adam Beard (4 Caps) 20. Aaron Wainwright (1 Cap) 21. Tomos Williams (2 Caps) 22. Jarrod Evans (UNCAPPED) 23. Steff Evans (10 Caps)

Scotland Team
Kinghorn (Edinburgh); Seymour, H Jones, Dunbar, L Jones; Hastings, Price (all Glasgow); Dell, McInally (capt), Nel, Toolis (all Edinburgh), Gray (Glasgow), Ritchie, Watson (both Edinburgh), Wilson (Glasgow).

Replacements: Brown, Allan (both Glasgow), Berghan, Gilchrist (both Edinburgh), Fagerson, G Horne, P Horne (all Glasgow), Graham (Edinburgh).

Last edited by bsando on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup

Post by IanBru Wed 31 Oct 2018, 12:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:What's Tommy Seymour doing as Vice Captain??
Rolling his socks down, being beardy, and available for an offload?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RDW Wed 31 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm

On the team, I'm quite excited to see what they can do. It is an incredibly athletic pack but on the lightweight side. Toolis certainly isn't a beefy number 4 lock and Ritchie, Watson, Wilson is a ligthweight yet very physical backrow. I can't imagine this will be the same back 5 against the South African beasts.

The backs are very exciting - full of running, skill and invention.

I suspect it will be a pretty open game (not that Townsend knows any other way!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 31 Oct 2018, 12:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:On the team, I'm quite excited to see what they can do. It is an incredibly athletic pack but on the lightweight side. Toolis certainly isn't a beefy number 4 lock and Ritchie, Watson, Wilson is a ligthweight yet very physical backrow. I can't imagine this will be the same back 5 against the South African beasts.

The backs are very exciting - full of running, skill and invention.

I suspect it will be a pretty open game (not that Townsend knows any other way!)

Really? Lee Jones is on the wing. Do you remember Lee Jones playing in a Scotland Jersey?

Other than that though, pretty balanced team. If only we could get rid of Pete Horne even our bench would be handy.

Hats off to McInally too. Changed his position after starting Pro Rugby and now he's captaining his country against one of the top(ish) teams in the world!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 31 Oct 2018, 12:40 pm

That was the original Lee Jones - not Lee Jones MK2 who has become a decent winger and earned his place!

We still have Price, Hastings, Jones, Seymour and Kinghorn which is a pretty skillfull bunch. Dunbar to add the grunt.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed 31 Oct 2018, 1:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That was the original Lee Jones - not Lee Jones MK2 who has become a decent winger and earned his place!

We still have Price, Hastings, Jones, Seymour and Kinghorn which is a pretty skillfull bunch. Dunbar to add the grunt.

For the first 20, or however long it takes him to injure himself, unfortunately.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 31 Oct 2018, 1:19 pm

Mostly as expected then, which is perhaps surprising for Toonie Very Happy. All in all, a pretty good team. Quite pleased to see Toolis starting ahead of Gilchrist, I think Toolis is the more complete player. A great chance for Ritchie to make a case. With the Blade likely to make an appearance later on, competition for backrow spots in the WC squad will be fierce. Pleased to see Graham in there rather than Fife.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 31 Oct 2018, 1:21 pm

BigGee wrote:Toolis starts over Gilchrist

Berghan to cover TH from the bench (it was that tackle that did it!)

Darcy Graham to make his debut off the bench.

Otherwise all as predicted. Let's hope that Ali Price has laid the ghost of Cardiff last year to rest!

Because last this year was an anomaly ? Erm ghost Run
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 31 Oct 2018, 2:02 pm

Thing I will be looking for is Do Scotland travel or are they still afraid to leave home. It's the thing currently stopping them from breaking the top 5

Should be a great game to watch. Hopefully running end to end with ball in hand

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 31 Oct 2018, 2:15 pm

Mark.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 31 Oct 2018, 2:57 pm

Looks like they are expecting 62,000 fans.

Not full but a pretty decent crowd all the same to give Doddie a good day out.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 31 Oct 2018, 6:32 pm

Gilcrest finally dropped!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 31 Oct 2018, 7:51 pm

When you compare the side that lost badly earlier this year to the side playing on Saturday I think there's a much better balance this time around despite the lack of certain players.

Firstly, the front row is solid! Dell, MacInally and Nel. In the 6N it was a makeshift front row of Reid and Welsh with Lawson on the bench.

Second row unchanged

Backrow of Ritchie, Watson and Wilson is an interesting dynamic. I think Du Preez didn't really play his best in the 6N and having a seasoned international of Wilson at 8 is much more preferable. Ritchie has looked good but is unproven still at international level, although I am confident.

9/10 - this is an interesting area for obvious reasons but in many ways Hastings has it easy. Russell had a howler in the 6N vs Wales so the bar is set pretty low. Price is on his own personal mission to right a few wrongs.

Centres of Dunbar/Jones is arguably the first choice partnership and we all though Harris/Jones was a bit odd and didn't work on the day, although Welsh centres did very well in defence.

Back 3 we miss Hogg but still have Seymour and he talented Kinghorn.

All in all, I think the pack and the replacements for the pack are much better this time round. Plus they all play together for their clubs so there should be better cohesion.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed 31 Oct 2018, 10:25 pm

Very excited about this team, for once with Townsend there's no selections I really disagree with.

Great opportunity for the team 12 months from the RWC; bunch of young guns get game-time and a few combinations get a proper challenge, plus there's a chance to get a monkey off our back in Cardiff.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Thu 01 Nov 2018, 2:40 am

Both sides depleted will be closer than has been usually and I dont think Wales can expect a win. Wales seem to be the hoodoo side for Scots but they start slowly every campaign.....few points either way at best. Be good to see how Anscombe and Lydate go.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:28 am

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup - Page 2 Screen10

Some shoddy copy and paste job by the BBC for the article on Allan Dell's return.

Watson at 8, Fagerson covering the front row and Allan covering the backrow and who is Graha? Rolling Eyes

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 01 Nov 2018, 8:46 am

That is pretty shoddy, although to be fair the back row is often listed as 6, 8, 7. I'd quite like to see Horne covering the second row! Not sure about Gilchrist at 9 though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 Nov 2018, 9:30 am

TJ wrote:Gilcrest finally dropped!
Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup - Page 2 This10^
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 01 Nov 2018, 11:21 am

I 'd hardly say he's been dropped. I think you'll find there will be a bit of mixing and matching over this AI series to see how guys are looking. We'll then be looking at keeping a settled squad in the 6Ns in the hope of getting a good squad of players for the World cup.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 Nov 2018, 11:38 am

Lads, you deserve to start at -7 points for putting your team announcement on a Video #Poopie
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 01 Nov 2018, 12:09 pm

Lydiate. I knew that was coming.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 01 Nov 2018, 12:10 pm

SQUAD TO PLAY SCOTLAND
15. Leigh Halfpenny (78 Caps)
14. George North (76 Caps)
13. Jonathan Davies (65 Caps)
12. Hadleigh Parkes (8 Caps)
11. Luke Morgan (*UNCAPPED)
10. Gareth Anscombe (18 Caps)
9. Gareth Davies (33 Davies)
1. Nicky Smith (21 Caps)
2. Ken Owens (57 Caps)
3. Dillon Lewis (5 Caps)
4. Cory Hill (18 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (117 Caps) (CAPT)
6. Dan Lydiate (62 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (57 Caps)
8. Ross Moriarty (23 Caps)

REPLACEMENTS:
16. Elliot Dee (10 Caps)
17. Rob Evans (27 Caps)
18. Leon Brown (3 Caps)
19. Adam Beard (4 Caps)
20. Aaron Wainwright (1 Cap)
21. Tomos Williams (2 Caps)
22. Jarrod Evans (UNCAPPED)
23. Steff Evans (10 Caps)

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 01 Nov 2018, 12:12 pm

Ooft that's a good team.

Lydiate dealt with Hamish Watson very well at the beginning of the season - he didn't have his usual barnstorming carries because Lydiate generally smashed him!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 01 Nov 2018, 12:16 pm

Two good teams up there. It's got the makings of a very good game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 Nov 2018, 12:16 pm

tigertattie wrote:I 'd hardly say he's been dropped. I think you'll find there will be a bit of mixing and matching over this AI series to see how guys are looking. We'll then be looking at keeping a settled squad in the 6Ns in the hope of getting a good squad of players for the World cup.
You say potato, er, Tattie.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 01 Nov 2018, 12:18 pm

We all know Edinburgh players are never dropped, they just... take up careers in financial services.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Nov 2018, 12:40 pm

*STOP PRESS* - Scotland have more players with the surname Jones in their team than Wales! First time ever?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Nov 2018, 12:46 pm

I'm excited by our backline. Lots of in form players there. Looking forward to seeing G Davies link up with Anscombe at 9 and 10.

A little worried about the front row. It doesn't scream out to me 'scrummaging power'. But Rob Evans on the bench is a safe(r) pair of hands if we're struggling.

Back row seems to hark back to the dark (but fairly successful) days of Gatlandball and the tried and testing Lydiate, Warburton/Tipuric, Faletau combination. Except with Lydiate not as good as he was and Moriarty being a not quite so able replacement for Faletau.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Ooft that's a good team.

Lydiate dealt with Hamish Watson very well at the beginning of the season - he didn't have his usual barnstorming carries because Lydiate generally smashed him!

Fair play then. I have only read people saying he isn’t on form, when it was announced he was in the squad.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:00 pm

Very excited by the back line too Oracle.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:04 pm

I think Scotland have the edge in terms of ball carrying in the pack - the entire front row are big carriers, as are Toolis and Gray. We all know what Watson can do too.

That's a very physical and direct Welsh backline though - has Parkes just come back from injury or have I made that up?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:18 pm

Who has red-lined my post about the Joneses in the teams?! Where's your sense of humour?!

Laugh Sad Shocked nope

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think Scotland have the edge in terms of ball carrying in the pack - the entire front row are big carriers, as are Toolis and Gray. We all know what Watson can do too.

That's a very physical and direct Welsh backline though - has Parkes just come back from injury or have I made that up?

Parkes broke his finger against Argentina in the summer. Not sure it kept him out for long though and don't recall him missing many games so far. Jonathan Davies was out for a very long time though. Most of last season since the Lions. So he's only played a bit but looks quite good since returning.

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:25 pm

Quite a difference in experience between the two sides, Wales have 296 more caps in their squad. 350 more caps in their starting 15.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:32 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Quite a difference in experience between the two sides, Wales have 296 more caps in their squad.  350 more caps in their starting 15.

poo the bed that's quite a difference

Young exciting team vs an older more experianced bunch. Which way will things go?

Tell you what though, Wales better hope that they've got plenty youngsters to come through in the next world cup cycle. Old Alun Wyn Jones won;t be full of running come World cup 2023
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:41 pm

Pretty stocked for locks. In a way, AWJ is pretty lucky to come back in, with the way Beard played on tour.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:43 pm

Johnny Gray is the joint most capped player for Scotland in that squad, and his opposite number has 74 more caps than him, no prizes for guessing who that is.

Seymour is the other most capped and his opposite number has 33 more caps than him.

I can't see past a Wales win in this game. Last time out, the Welsh backrow were superb and I can't see a different story this time. Plus with home advantage and vast experience across the park, any thing else would be a very long shot

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 01 Nov 2018, 2:36 pm

As others have said that’s a strong Welsh side. Know very little of the two starting props, big game for them though. Anscombe Vs Hastings will be an intriguing match up as will Dunbar Vs Parkes. Both are abrasive and great at bursting through the tackle.
I think Wales have enough firepower to win this one. North is class, halfpenny just needs a bit of space out wide and he’ll score with ease. Expecting a better match than the 6N but it’s going to be a tough one for Scotland to win. Can’t wait!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 01 Nov 2018, 3:03 pm

It's an intriguing match for Wales. We've often struggled in AIs where we're favourites (I'm guessing we're favourites). As for who will win, I tipped Scotland for the Six Nations game, so I'm not saying anything this time!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 Nov 2018, 3:07 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It's an intriguing match for Wales. We've often struggled in AIs where we're favourites (I'm guessing we're favourites). As for who will win, I tipped Scotland for the Six Nations game, so I'm not saying anything this time!

I'd always back Wales at home to Scotland. This could be a cracking match but I'd be surprised and disappointed if we lost.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 01 Nov 2018, 3:20 pm

Scotland flying very under the radar for this match, very happy to be the underdogs.

It did not do us any good at all last time when we all thought we were in with a chance, so that will do us very nicely!

I actually think they look like two very well matched teams and it should be a close game. Wales have not always hit their straps in the AIs and can take a little while to get going. I also wonder if the Osprey's contingent, not having played in europe this year, might miss having had a really hard hit out as well, maybe not quite as battle hardened as in the past.

We shall see on saturday afternoon!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 01 Nov 2018, 3:53 pm

XV of missing Wales players:

Tomas Francis
Ryan Elias
Samson Lee
Jake Ball
Seb Davies
Ellis Jenkins
Aaron Shingler
Toby Faletau
Aled Davies
Dan Biggar
Josh Adams
Scott Williams
Owen Watkin
Liam Williams
Rhys Patchell

Also - Amos, Griffiths, Navidi,
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 01 Nov 2018, 4:43 pm

XV of missing Scotland players is pretty decent too - not sure who would win in a game between this one and the one playing on Saturday!

1 Rory Sutherland
2 George Turner
3 Zander Fagerson
4 Richie Gray
5 Sam Skinner
6 Blade Thomson
7 John Hardie
8 Magnus Bradbury

9 Greig Laidlaw
10 Finn Russell
11 Sean Maitland
12 Matt Scott
13 Duncan Taylor
14 Dougie Fife
15 Stuart Hogg

The front row and 14 are weaker but that backline is probably stronger, and the back 5 would be very close! This is assuming everyone's fit and on form of course.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 01 Nov 2018, 4:57 pm

sorry, but Blade is just a feckin cool name!

He better be an absolute stormer when he starts player for us as he can;t be a big Jessie with a name like that!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 01 Nov 2018, 5:04 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:XV of missing Scotland players is pretty decent too - not sure who would win in a game between this one and the one playing on Saturday!

1 Rory Sutherland
2 George Turner
3 Zander Fagerson
4 Richie Gray
5 Sam Skinner
6 Blade Thomson
7 John Hardie
8 Magnus Bradbury

9 Greig Laidlaw
10 Finn Russell
11 Sean Maitland
12 Matt Scott
13 Duncan Taylor
14 Dougie Fife
15 Stuart Hogg

The front row and 14 are weaker but that backline is probably stronger, and the back 5 would be very close! This is assuming everyone's fit and on form of course.

Had the same team, except Ford in for Turner, Barclay instead of Hardie & McGuigan instead of Fife. Could also chuck Bennett into the mix

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 01 Nov 2018, 5:12 pm

Forgot about Barclay - he'd definitely be in there. Good shout on McGuigan too. Taylor and Bennett are both perennially crocked so was a toss up between the two!

Ford on recent form shouldn't be anywhere near the Edinburgh team never mind Scotland! He is the most capped forward ever for Scotland though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 01 Nov 2018, 5:14 pm

yeah Ford's just always around, it's hard to ignore him.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 01 Nov 2018, 5:14 pm

On Ford’s last showing for Edinburgh he shouldn’t be near any hypothetical Scotland lineups, he was dire!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 01 Nov 2018, 5:15 pm

Ah I see the green badged one stole my point and posted it before me, typical abuse of power!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 01 Nov 2018, 6:36 pm

Chentlemen, a word please. Very Happy

Sadly, Caz the quiet Bokkie has unfortunately been taken ill and won't be journeying to Murrayfield for the Boks' game. Sad

This means his ticket is available, the downside is it's beside the Brumeister and meself.

Also there is a flight from Stansted to Luvvietoon on the Saturday morning and back on the Sunday morning. Caz has written off the cost, but if anyone wants them and is willing to make a contribution that would be nice.

I have organised an Airbnb for the three of us which is paid for for whether its just Bru and me or if there are three of us so that's a free place to doss. Can't be bad.

PM me if interested.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman2 Thu 01 Nov 2018, 7:47 pm

Gotta laugh at the ‘happy to be underdogs’ line. Is that a meme? Because it goes with an implied expectation that they will in fact come out on top seeming pessimistic but in fact quietly optimistic. Gotcha BigGee.

Dontheman2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next