The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales RWC 2019 Thread

+39
lostinwales
ebop
Gooseberry
tigertattie
formerly known as Sam
Soul Requiem
Rinsure
robbo277
majesticimperialman
Hoonercat
Poorfour
bluestonevedder
bsando
Yoda
Maine man
TightHEAD
Collapse2005
Rugby Fan
EnglishReign
Taylorman
quinsforever
BigTrevsbigmac
carpet baboon
Presuming Ed
Cyril
BamBam
WELL-PAST-IT
chris_501
munkian
No9
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
maestegmafia
SecretFly
LordDowlais
Pie
43 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 5 Empty Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Guest Mon 26 Nov 2018, 1:41 am

First topic message reminder :

WALES’ 2019 RWC SQUAD:

Forwards: Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Rhys Carre, James Davies, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Ken Owens, Aaron Shingler, Nicky Smith, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs: Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Hadleigh Parkes, Rhys Patchell, Owen Watkin, Liam Williams, Tomos Williams.

Last edited by miaow on Mon 25 Feb 2019, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Apr 2019, 12:18 pm

I think Owen Lane might be picked for cover on one of the wings or center for this world cup.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Apr 2019, 12:25 pm

I'd be slightly surprised but thought he might have had a shot in the autumn or Italy game. Gatland went for Luke Morgan instead as he has real pace. Think Lane will be capped by Pivac, might sneak in to the wider training squad though, for me he's ahead of Luke Morgan and maybe even Steff Evans in terms of what he can bring on the wing (not centre, no way), he's just lacking game time.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 18 Apr 2019, 1:46 pm

Owen Lane is highly likely to see action in the summer, for me. I suspect Amos might be played as a 15 from here on in, as once he has left RP, I don’t see Cardiff playing him wing. Gatland clearly rates him highly though (even if he doesn’t have the top end pace) and I don’t expect to see Steff Evans near a Welsh squad for a while.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Apr 2019, 1:57 pm

Forgot about Amos, he's ahead of Jonah Holmes in the pecking order, and he stands a really good chance of making the squad.

It would be a Gatland thing to do to put somene like Lane in at the last moment, almost to catch other teams out: there's very little prep done on him, presumably, and he's got the pace that Cuthbert had them can make him a useful finisher. It's quite likely Halfpenny or Liam Williams breaks down at some point in the tournament, and maybe North as well, which really opens the possibility for a place in the back 3 for someone like Lane in the latter stages, if Wales make it. Just think he should have been capped by now - not ideal prep.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Apr 2019, 3:18 pm

miaow wrote:I'd be slightly surprised but thought he might have had a shot in the autumn or Italy game. Gatland went for Luke Morgan instead as he has real pace. Think Lane will be capped by Pivac, might sneak in to the wider training squad though, for me he's ahead of Luke Morgan and maybe even Steff Evans in terms of what he can bring on the wing (not centre, no way), he's just lacking game time.

Perhaps Gatland might carry on his experiment with North as cover for the centers ?

By doing that, he can use the space in the squad for other positions. If Amos, Halfpenny and Liam Williams are in the squad, then that's the full backs and wings covered for injuries.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Thu 18 Apr 2019, 10:37 pm

Can anyone see Doc getting called up? I just feel he has something left to give

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Apr 2019, 1:14 am

Yes, but only if there's a genuine centre crisis in the knockout stages, maybe just before the last group game. As in, they've lost Parkes and maybe Scott Williams as well. Any earlier than that/if the injuries happen pre-tournament then I think they're more likely to go down a different route, like bringing in a utility back if it's just one injury. But as it stands he's definitely 5th choice centre, at best. I'd make him 4th choice for the 12 shirt as well, so he's struggling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Fri 19 Apr 2019, 1:16 am

He's above Williams right now surely. I'd say its JD2,Parkes,Watkin, Doc, SW....lose Parkes and he is surely a better option than Watkin and Scott with no rugby?

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 19 Apr 2019, 7:45 am

Pie wrote:He's above Williams right now surely. I'd say its JD2,Parkes,Watkin, Doc, SW....lose Parkes and he is surely a better option than Watkin and Scott with no rugby?

What about Cory Allen ? Have we all forgotten about him ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 19 Apr 2019, 6:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Pie wrote:He's above Williams right now surely. I'd say its JD2,Parkes,Watkin, Doc, SW....lose Parkes and he is surely a better option than Watkin and Scott with no rugby?

What about Cory Allen ? Have we all forgotten about him ?

Not good enough.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Apr 2019, 6:56 pm

No way is Roberts ahead of Scott Williams. Think people forget how good he actually is as a rugby player - just don't think Gatland trusts him. Not only is he not a good crashball player, but he's had too many 'brain fade' moments. For some reason he never got comfortable at test level, looked like he was forcing things and made errors as a result. Like the opposite of Tipuric - not the right mindset to sit on the bench for 5-6 years and then slot seamlessly in to the starting shirt. Instead, he panicked, left the Scarlets, and it's all gone downhill in the last 18 months to 2 years really. That said, still Wales' 3rd best centre at the moment, and at his best he's a fair bit better than Parkes. Just not as consistent.

Cory Allen's not a bad shout. He's not a great player but he did tour in 2017 so can't be out of the reckoning. I'm sure AWJ would have him in there, if only so he's joined by someone with an even worse case of premature balding that him...

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Fri 19 Apr 2019, 8:46 pm

Yeah but when did Scott last play?

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Apr 2019, 6:33 pm

Minor worry for Wales: assume he'll be fine in time for the autumn but hamstrings can be horrible things to injure, particularly for some in such a sprint-heavy position.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48025899

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Wed 24 Apr 2019, 5:57 am

Holmes would only ever be 3/4th ranked replacement - back 3 options North, Liam, Half, Adams, Amos, Evans etc. Pity as at 26 he may have missed his RWC chance

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Apr 2019, 10:58 am

He's ahead of Steff purely on the basis that he's versatile. If Amos or LW/LH get injured, Holmes gets a place in the squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 25 Apr 2019, 8:59 am

The squad is announced next week I hear?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Apr 2019, 11:51 am

Which squad's that, the summer camp?

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 25 Apr 2019, 4:52 pm

Yeah the 45 man training squad.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Apr 2019, 5:25 pm

Bets on the 14 players who make it on top of the 31 man squad from the 6Ns?

Forwards: Rhodri Jones, A. HOOKER (no idea between Dacy, Baldwin, Otten etc.), Leon Brown, Bradley Davies, Ellis Jenkins, Aaron Shingler, Faletau.

Backs: Lloyd Williams OR Kieran Hardy, Jarrod Evans OR Rhys Priestland, Owen Williams, Scott Williams, Tyler Morgan, Steff Evans, Luke Morgan OR Owen Lane.

Big Gav as the wildcard...

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 26 Apr 2019, 10:05 am

I can’t see many surprises coming. Owen Lane a possible addition in the wing birth behind Adams, North and current Squad. Fourth scrum half either Keiron Hardy or Rhodri Williams

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Fri 26 Apr 2019, 7:23 pm

Webb please

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 27 Apr 2019, 1:04 am

Pie wrote:Webb please

Unfortunately it’ll take more than saying please mate

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Apr 2019, 8:40 pm

Pretty please with £400k on top?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sun 28 Apr 2019, 12:41 am

Hell awaits those that dont get Rhys Webb back to Wales

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 28 Apr 2019, 8:31 pm

He's welcome at the Dragons.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 28 Apr 2019, 10:23 pm

Thoughts on Tuesdays squad after this weekend?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 29 Apr 2019, 11:28 am

Robyn McBryde is going to be Leinsters new forwards coach.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:06 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Robyn McBryde is going to be Leinsters new forwards coach.

That was touted in the press last week. Be interesting to see how he gets on, plenty of talented players there

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2019, 1:02 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Thoughts on Tuesdays squad after this weekend?

Apparently someone's bitter enough to downvote my suggestions so best not repeat them...

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 29 Apr 2019, 1:41 pm

I thought all in all a number of players showed up very well. In Particular the Dragons Halfbacks and backrow. Also thought Matthew Screech played well. Could he be the next Coombes/Hill surprise selection? There is a lot of depth at lock at the moment but he stood out well and has had solid form this season despite the Dragons position in the Table.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 29 Apr 2019, 2:19 pm

miaow wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Thoughts on Tuesdays squad after this weekend?

Apparently someone's bitter enough to downvote my suggestions so best not repeat them...

That might have been me. I have managed to both upvote and downvote posts by accident recently due to slow page loading.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2019, 6:28 pm

Alright, no worries.

Dragons have some good individual players. Rhodri Williams, for instance, is definitely capable of getting back to Welsh squad ability/form when you consider the competition. He's a more talented 9 than Aled Davies, for sure, but obviously took the wrong career path.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 29 Apr 2019, 7:23 pm

miaow wrote:Alright, no worries.

Dragons have some good individual players. Rhodri Williams, for instance, is definitely capable of getting back to Welsh squad ability/form when you consider the competition. He's a more talented 9 than Aled Davies, for sure, but obviously took the wrong career path.

We agree he looks better and still a young guy too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 29 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm

Like Johnny Evans he shouldn't have gone to England. Welsh teams were stupid by not offloading Knoyle and Aled Davies. No.9 is never a position where we need to recruit from overseas. At this stage I think one of Johnny Evans or Kieran Hardy should go to Ospreys and be first choice, that's assuming they aren't promoting the very promising 9 in their academy.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2019, 9:55 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
miaow wrote:Alright, no worries.

We agree he looks better and still a young guy too

Yeah, and seeing Martin Roberts playing for Cardiff RFC is a sign of both the depth we've had a 9 in the last decade, but also the way the changes in the game have totally changed the course of certain players' careers. Roberts had the best pass I think I've seen in Wales, at least since Peel, maybe better. But he's not the kind of player to boss the game at the top level. Tavis very different but struggled with the same role but he's definitely capable enough to be a key player at regional level. Got all the raw abilities - and that's something Rhodri had/has in spades. There was so little weakness to his game when he first broke through, still time to turn it around, but it's a sign there's a lack of good coaching in Wales that so much talent has just come and gone. Mikey's right, going to the Premiership is just entering the meat grinder, it's obviously good experience (unless you fail to get promoted/get relegated) but it doesn't really develop players with any sort of consistency. It's all about the week to week result.

I think a few Dragons players have probably put their hands up for Wales selection after that game - probably not for Gatland, but for Pivac. Rhodri, Screech, maybe even Jordan Williams... Run

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue 30 Apr 2019, 3:18 am

Dan Evans....and if not why not? Howley's fragile little ego cant handle arguably the best FB in Wales?

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 30 Apr 2019, 12:11 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by LordDowlais on Tue 30 Apr 2019, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 30 Apr 2019, 12:12 pm

Forwards

Leon Brown, Rhys Carre*, Rob Evans, Tomas Francis, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Dillon Lewis, Nicky Smith, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Ken Owens, Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Bradley Davies, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, James Davies, Taulupe Faletau, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Aaron Shingler, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs

Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Tomos Williams, Gareth Anscombe, Dan Biggar, Jarrod Evans, Rhys Patchell, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Owen Watkin, Scott Williams, Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Steff Evans, Leigh Halfpenny, Owen Lane, George North, Jonah Holmes, Liam WIlliams.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 30 Apr 2019, 12:12 pm

No Rhys Webb !!!!

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2019, 12:21 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Forwards

Leon Brown, Rhys Carre*, Rob Evans, Tomas Francis, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Dillon Lewis, Nicky Smith, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Ken Owens, Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Bradley Davies, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, James Davies, Taulupe Faletau, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Aaron Shingler, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs

Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Tomos Williams, Gareth Anscombe, Dan Biggar, Jarrod Evans, Rhys Patchell, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Owen Watkin, Scott Williams, Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Steff Evans, Leigh Halfpenny, Owen Lane, George North, Jonah Holmes, Liam WIlliams.

Not a million miles away in end but a few surprises, but I suppose it makes sense that certain positions (9, 2) don't have an extra call up when they may take only 2 hookers etc. - surprising to see Rhys Carre in there but is that asterix a 'training with the squad' symbol or does it just mean uncapped? But surprised by the split of players. James Davies has done well to sneak in there considering he's still injured. Rated above Thomas Young?

miaow wrote:Forwards: Rhodri Jones, A. HOOKER (no idea between Dacy, Baldwin, Otten etc.), ]Leon Brown, Bradley Davies, Ellis Jenkins, Aaron Shingler, Faletau.

Backs: Lloyd Williams OR Kieran Hardy, Jarrod Evans OR Rhys Priestland, Owen Williams, Scott Williams, Tyler Morgan, Steff Evans, Luke Morgan OR Owen Lane.

As many were expeting, Owen Lane gets his opportunity.

Last edited by miaow on Tue 30 Apr 2019, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 30 Apr 2019, 12:24 pm

Leon Brown's in the squad, Miaow.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 30 Apr 2019, 12:56 pm

I assume they're just planning on capping Carre in a warm-up game to tie him to Wales (I'm sure I read he's eligible for England*), and they don't see him as an actual contender for the World Cup?

* - I know he's played for Wales under-20s, but that doesn't matter.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 30 Apr 2019, 1:34 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I assume they're just planning on capping Carre in a warm-up game to tie him to Wales (I'm sure I read he's eligible for England*), and they don't see him as an actual contender for the World Cup?

* - I know he's played for Wales under-20s, but that doesn't matter.
By the time he is capped he would officially be a Saracens player. Seems silly they can name a guy who is currently in Wales but leaving, yet are unable to name Webb who signed his contract before the rule cam in.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2019, 4:09 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Leon Brown's in the squad, Miaow.

Yep, first one, skimmed over it. Thought it was odd if he'd been dropped out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2019, 4:12 pm

Definitely a case of tying him to Wales by the looks of it. As well as a case of 'don't you dare sign another contract in England'.

Disappointing for Ellis Jenkins. Have to assume his lack of involvement means he's not going to make it - bad, bad injury so not surpring really. Best to focus on fitness and recovery and IF someone goes down in September/October, the door's still open for him. That said, he'd walk in to every other 6Ns squad, probably their 23s as well, so a big loss of talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:36 pm

I disagree on Carre. Yes he is Eng eligible but unlike Eng we dont have two superb ball playing props...closest we have is Evans to a Sinckler for example. Carre is 6.3 and 21st and can carry all day. Exactly what we need. I expect he will be given a chance to start one of the warm ups and if he does well no reason to think he couldn't oust Wyn and go to RWC

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:41 pm

It does seem a bit soon for Carre, he's just someone with great potential right now, he actually hasn't been able to nail down a permanent spot in the team. His move to Saracens seems a bit premature as it's not often young, unestablished welsh guys are given a chance there.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:42 pm

I'm not sorry but if Aled Davies gets onto the pitch then that's a huge risk.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:43 pm

Pie wrote:Dan Evans....and if not why not? Howley's fragile little ego cant handle arguably the best FB in Wales?

Probably because he only looks good against the bottom teams in the league. The guy blows too hot and cold each game for me.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:57 pm

Its interesting about Doc and Lydiate. If I know Gats train of thought these guys are still in the mix but are known quantities; he knows he can parachute either in - Charteris as well - to do job if required. Its tough on Doc because Scott has had no rugby and Parkes - though vey good v Ireland - is mercurial. I think Doc's biggest problem is nothing is created off him usually. When he gets the ball he goes into contact which doesn't fit with the get it wide game Wales want to play now.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next