Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by miaow on Mon 26 Nov 2018, 1:41 am

First topic message reminder :

WALES’ 2019 RWC TRAINING SQUAD:

FORWARDS (23):
Leon Brown (Dragons) (5 Caps)
Rhys Carre (Cardiff Blues) (*Uncapped)
Rob Evans (Scarlets) (35 Caps)
Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (40 Caps)
Wyn Jones (Scarlets) (12 Caps)
Samson Lee (Scarlets) (40 Caps)
Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues) (12 Caps)
Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (28 Caps)
Elliot Dee (Dragons) (18 Caps)
Ryan Elias (Scarlets) (7 Caps)
Ken Owens (Scarlets) (64 Caps)
Jake Ball (Scarlets) (32 Caps)
Adam Beard (Ospreys) (13 Caps)
Bradley Davies (Ospreys) (64 Caps)
Cory Hill (Dragons) (24 Caps)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (125 Caps)
James Davies (Scarlets) (3 Caps)
Taulupe Faletau (Bath) (72 Caps)
Ross Moriarty (Dragons) (31 Caps)
Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues) (16 Caps)
Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) (17 Caps)
Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (64 Caps)
Aaron Wainwright (Dragons) (8 Caps)

BACKS (19):

Aled Davies (Ospreys) (16 Caps)
Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (41 Caps)
Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues) (7 Caps)
Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues) (26 Caps)
Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints) (70 Caps)
Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues) (1 Cap)
Rhys Patchell (Scarlets) (11 Caps)
Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (73 Caps)
Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets) (15 Caps)
Owen Watkin (Ospreys) (13 Caps)
Scott Williams (Ospreys) (57 Caps)
Josh Adams (Worcester Warriors) (10 Caps)
Hallam Amos (Dragons) (18 Caps)
Steff Evans (Scarlets) (12 Caps)
Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets) (81 Caps)
Owen Lane (Cardiff Blues) (*Uncapped)
George North (Ospreys) (83 Caps)
Jonah Holmes (Leicester Tigers) (2 Caps)
Liam Williams (Saracens) (55 Caps)​


AUGUST 2019

SUN 11 Wales Vs England  
KO 14:00 BST
Twickenham Stadium

SAT 17 Wales Vs England  
KO 14:15 BST
Principality Stadium

SAT 31 Wales Vs Ireland  
KO 14:30 BST
Principality Stadium


SEPTEMBER 2019

SAT 7 Wales Vs Ireland  
KO 14:00 BST
Aviva Stadium, Test Matches


Start of The RWC

MON 23  Wales Vs Georgia  
KO 11:15 BST
Toyota Stadium, Rugby World Cup

SUN 29 Wales Vs Australia  
KO 08:45 BST
Tokyo (Ajinomoto) Stadium, Rugby World Cup

OCTOBER 2019

WED 9 Wales Vs Fiji  
KO 10:45 BST
Bank Dome (Big Eye), Rugby World Cup

SUN 13 Wales Vs Uruguay  
KO 09:15 BST
Egao Health (Umakana Yokana) Stadium, Rugby World Cup


Last edited by miaow on Mon 25 Feb 2019, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

miaow

Posts : 2670
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down


Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:58 pm

Be interesting to see if he only picks two SH. That way one will break almost inevitably and he can call Webby.

Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Taylorman on Wed 01 May 2019, 8:09 am

Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

Taylorman

Posts : 10771
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Wed 01 May 2019, 8:39 am

Taylorman wrote:Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

Sounds like a nasty injury hope he does get the best treatment and carry on what looked like a promising start to the season for Highlanders.

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by miaow on Wed 01 May 2019, 5:51 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48121687

Both encouraging and depressing when you think about this in relation to Rhys Webb.

miaow

Posts : 2670
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 01 May 2019, 6:55 pm

Taylorman wrote:Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

He went back for his fathers funeral right before the Autumn series and we did okay there... Gatland is good at prepping.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 8356
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Thu 02 May 2019, 5:45 am

Taylorman wrote:Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

Crocodile tears, you aren't fooling anyone

Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Thu 02 May 2019, 9:11 am

Pie wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

Crocodile tears, you aren't fooling anyone

There is an element of that in the Kiwi press with regards to Wales prospects at the RWC. I take this as a compliment.

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by BamBam on Thu 02 May 2019, 10:53 am

Shaun Edwards confirmed to be leaving after the RWC

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-union/48133171

BamBam

Posts : 15348
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Fri 03 May 2019, 12:56 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Pie wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

Crocodile tears, you aren't fooling anyone

There is an element of that in the Kiwi press with regards to Wales prospects at the RWC. I take this as a compliment.

If arrogant snide lack of sportsmanship is a compliment consider me overwhelmed

Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Fri 03 May 2019, 1:00 am

No wonder Gats didn't take Edwards on a Lions tour

So when Argentina beat France into 2nd place and we face France in 1/4 what then??? How has this potential conflict of interest been allowed to happen? The contract these guys should sign should stipulate no discussion allowed to take place until after a team is knocked out of RWC

Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Taylorman on Fri 03 May 2019, 3:02 am

Pie wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

Crocodile tears, you aren't fooling anyone

No Pie, I meant it, particularly with the type of injury. He's on the other side of the world when his son gets a horrific looking injury and now has the World cup to contend with as well as the injury. Its a real test of loyalties he'll have to balance.

Pity you opt for being a cynic first.

Taylorman

Posts : 10771
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Fri 03 May 2019, 4:09 am

Taylorman wrote:
Pie wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

Crocodile tears, you aren't fooling anyone

No Pie, I meant it, particularly with the type of injury. He's on the other side of the world when his son gets a horrific looking injury and now has the World cup to contend with as well as the injury. Its a real test of loyalties he'll have to balance.

Pity you opt for being a cynic first.

Not really a bad option when dealing with you. And it won't affect Gatland's RWC prep one iota, so tough tittle and nice try thumbsup

Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Taylorman on Fri 03 May 2019, 6:34 am

Pie wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Pie wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

Crocodile tears, you aren't fooling anyone

No Pie, I meant it, particularly with the type of injury. He's on the other side of the world when his son gets a horrific looking injury and now has the World cup to contend with as well as the injury. Its a real test of loyalties he'll have to balance.

Pity you opt for being a cynic first.

Not really a bad option when dealing with you. And it won't affect Gatland's RWC prep one iota, so tough tittle and nice try thumbsup

It may not, but you don’t need that at this time. Bryn would have had the faintest of hopes of getting a bit of luck and a possible World Cup trip. That’s now a zero chance now, even if it wasn’t much more than that anyway. He’s young so who knows.

Taylorman

Posts : 10771
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Fri 03 May 2019, 6:43 am

Just do one Taylorman...BG was never anywhere near a prospect for RWC, until he's injured and all of. a sudden now he's going to miss out cos he's injured??? And Gats RWC prep is under threat too.

What a load of old shoite

Sometimes the mentality of Kiwis trying to find any way to have a pop makes me want to puke.

Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Fri 03 May 2019, 7:03 am

Pie wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Pie wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Big shame about Bryns injury, what a horrible way to end the season. That’s not helped Gats need to prep in such a big year.

Crocodile tears, you aren't fooling anyone

There is an element of that in the Kiwi press with regards to Wales prospects at the RWC. I take this as a compliment.

If arrogant snide lack of sportsmanship is a compliment consider me overwhelmed

It’s no different in any country, read the press on your team from other nations perspectives is quite interesting. I often read the rugby in the NZ Herald, Sydney Morning Herald, as well as the French and English broadsheets.


maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Cyril on Fri 03 May 2019, 7:14 am

Walesonline, on the other hand, is brilliant, neutral journalism.

Cyril

Posts : 6641
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Fri 03 May 2019, 8:30 am

Pie wrote:Just do one Taylorman...BG was never anywhere near a prospect for RWC, until he's injured and all of. a sudden now he's going to miss out cos he's injured??? And Gats RWC prep is under threat too.

What a load of old shoite

Sometimes the mentality of Kiwis trying to find any way to have a pop makes me want to puke.

Interesting Article from the kiwi perspective post Grandslam

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12214768

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by miaow on Fri 03 May 2019, 11:51 am

English journalism on any of the other Home Nations is based on Lions Tours, then 6Ns/RWCs, then MAYBE if your team does really well in the Heineken Cup. Otherwise they don't have a clue. It's why the Irish are better known/more praised in England, particularly TV media. With Wales, reading the journalists' opinions is clear they just go on the basis of whichever Welsh players do well for the Lions or at a RWC. Or flashy players, Hibbard etc., get focused on. Basically, no-one outside the country knows very much about Wales because it's small and they don't actually every watch them. I'd say the same is true for the majority of posters on this site tbh and explains the confusion regarding certain players' abilities relative to others.

For instance, I think Wales have the best 8 and 7 in the world in Faletau and Tipuric. But almost no-one outside Wales will understand why.

miaow

Posts : 2670
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Fri 03 May 2019, 12:16 pm

miaow wrote:.

For instance, I think Wales have the best 8 and 7 in the world in Faletau and Tipuric. But almost no-one outside Wales will understand why.

Maybe add AWJ to that list too and Webb though he is now ineligible for international rugby.

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by miaow on Fri 03 May 2019, 1:15 pm

Na, I do think AWJ has his flaws. As a leader/influence he's top drawer, but he's not as spectactularly brilliant as LW and or Faletau. No doubt an immense player but he's had a few too many 'off' days at the top level where other players don't. Still one of the best, no doubt, but maybe not necessarily in his specific position? The abilities he has aren't position specific, maybe?

Webb has the potential for sure, but who knows how his career would have gone had he not spent so much of it injured, and when he'd finally established himself as a test player/Lion, shot himself in the foot.

miaow

Posts : 2670
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Fri 03 May 2019, 1:20 pm

miaow wrote:Na, I do think AWJ has his flaws. As a leader/influence he's top drawer, but he's not as spectactularly brilliant as LW and or Faletau. No doubt an immense player but he's had a few too many 'off' days at the top level where other players don't. Still one of the best, no doubt, but maybe not necessarily in his specific position? The abilities he has aren't position specific, maybe?

Webb has the potential for sure, but who knows how his career would have gone had he not spent so much of it injured, and when he'd finally established himself as a test player/Lion, shot himself in the foot.

I think much of the foot shooting is unfortunately agent lead

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by miaow on Fri 03 May 2019, 1:39 pm

Perhaps, but the Ospreys were in a dreadful state when he decided to go. Can hardly blame him. The issue is the timing and whether the WRU misled him. Still, you have to admire the man for sticking to his club when it would've been easier to pack it in considering what's happened to Toulon this year. Sadly, he won't receive even a shred of loyalty from them in return if injuries crop up agan. I do think it's a failure on the part of the WRU/clubs not to get him a loan during the RWC but there we go. Think it was pretty clear with the way Gatland selected Aled Davies that he was planning without him.

Anyway, will be interesting to see how Owen Lane goes. Will he be the Cuthbert-esque strike runner Gatland's waiting the unleash. I think he will. I think he'll go ahead of Steff Evans, for sure, and if Pathchell goes he'll get the final back 3 spot with Jonah Holmes missing out.

miaow

Posts : 2670
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Fri 03 May 2019, 6:54 pm

miaow wrote:Perhaps, but the Ospreys were in a dreadful state when he decided to go. Can hardly blame him. The issue is the timing and whether the WRU misled him. Still, you have to admire the man for sticking to his club when it would've been easier to pack it in considering what's happened to Toulon this year. Sadly, he won't receive even a shred of loyalty from them in return if injuries crop up agan. I do think it's a failure on the part of the WRU/clubs not to get him a loan during the RWC but there we go. Think it was pretty clear with the way Gatland selected Aled Davies that he was planning without him.

Anyway, will be interesting to see how Owen Lane goes. Will he be the Cuthbert-esque strike runner Gatland's waiting the unleash. I think he will. I think he'll go ahead of Steff Evans, for sure, and if Pathchell goes he'll get the final back 3 spot with Jonah Holmes missing out.

I agree I always find these pre-tournament friendlies exciting as it is generally a series of trial matches for the larger squad.

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 06 May 2019, 3:24 pm

Wales’ Grand Slam winners will be live on Channel 4 when they face England and Ireland at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium in the Under Armour Summer Series this August.

Set your box to record Wales’ 2019 summer fixtures:

England v Wales (Twickenham) Sunday August 11.
Wales v England (Principality Stadium) Saturday August 17.
Wales v Ireland (Principality Stadium) Saturday August 31.
Ireland v Wales (Aviva Stadium) Saturday September 7

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 06 May 2019, 6:38 pm

4 games unbeaten Wink.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 8356
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 06 May 2019, 11:38 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:4 games unbeaten Wink.

Would be nice to keep an 18month clean sheet

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 07 May 2019, 1:32 am

It sure would, can't see it happening though. If we played our best in all four then that's a little risky.


Who from the back 5 do you all see being cut? I think it's the area where we have the most quality. As tough as it as I would cut Jake Ball and James Davies, therefore a 'surprise' recall for Bradley Davies who I think has more than earned it - not a bad fourth choice lock to have I guess. I would keep all the others as I think they're too good to miss out. We can have Shingler as fifth choice lock if needs be, and I hope he and Faletau are healthy enough to get some game time in the warm-ups. I've missed seeing those guys in action.

There's been talk of cutting Navidi from a few fans. I think that's a fatal error. He's one of the best flankers that I've seen come out of Wales and we have a lot of good flankers. Too bad for his team-mate Ellis Jenkins but perhaps we'll see more of him in the future.
Lastly, somehow, we need to swap Rhys Webb for Aled Davies. If it hasn't happened now then it's not happening, so I guess we can forget it.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 8356
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Tue 07 May 2019, 3:05 am

Navidi won't get cut, with his ability to cover 6,7and 8 and Faletau marginal I expect he is already heavily pencilled in subject to that arm healing

I expect he will take

Moriarty
Navidi
Faletau
Shingler
Tipuric

Ellis Jenkins and Wainwright have to be pushing, the latter perhaps the hardest. I think Cubby Boi and everyone else will be on injury standby

Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Tue 07 May 2019, 10:31 am

Backrow is a very tough call lots of good players. Particularly if the injured three get fit in time. Faletau said last week he doesn’t think he will make it. We’ll have to see.

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by miaow on Tue 07 May 2019, 2:08 pm

Had hoped to carry this thread through the the start of the RWC as an interesting way of seeing how Wales developed in the 12 months prior, but as I've said over on the Club side, I'm leaving the forum.

Good luck to everyone. Hope Wales capitalise on the potential shown in 2011 and 2015. There's enough ability there, in the players and the coaches, to win the thing outright. The only team Wales will 'fear' is New Zealand, as they're the only team they haven't beaten in this RWC cycle. They've got a 2-1-1 record v Ireland, a very close 1-0-3 record v England where they were in all 3 they were playing for the winning score at 80 minutes (within 7 points). A loss v Scotland was disappointing but fair as they've showed they're a dangerous side, and have beaten every 6Ns team in this cycle and pushed NZ close as well. The wins v SA have been encouraging but I think they're a sleeping giant waiting to pounce and make them 2nd favourites for the tournament behinds the ABs - if Wales deal with their physicality they've shown they can manage a game far better, but at a RWC, SA will be a different beast. Finally got an unconvincing (in terms of scoreline) win v Oz but with them coming up in the groups, we'll see where that back-dwelling monkey's really is. Losing to France was disappointing if surreal, the only time to have done so since the 2011 semi-final. I wonder if Wales have been more dominant v France since the second world war? Worth looking up perhaps...but anyway, Wales have not only got a GS under their belt, but they've got the key wins they've been missing in previous years as well.

We can only hope the 2017 Lions experience will have helped if we have to face NZ but, minus Warburton, I can't see Wales having the mental belief to go and beat NZ unless it's a RWC final - at which point who knows. So hopefully we avoid them as 2016 there's a gap in physical and skill ability that Wales showed little sign of bridging with game management away from home. The 2016 performances were good, but in a 'well done' kind of way rather than any tangible sense of having NZ on the ropes for a majority of the match. Let's hope they have breathing problems in the knockouts if we are drawn against them.

As for everything else, it all hinges on the progression of fixtures in my opinion. For all Wales' strength in depth - which is the best I've known - it hinges on fitness and avoiding a repeat of 2015, which included a tough game v Fiji, two monstrous ties v England and Australia, before running out of steam v SA in the QFs. Beat Australia in the group and they're likely to avoid England and get the 'easier' side of the draw that would avoid NZ (I think?) as well. That's ideal, but it all starts with beating Oz and not slipping up against Fiji.

If Wales can keep their best players fit and their good players in form, they stand a very good chance of winning the thing outright. England have looked more impressive at times but I make Wales a much more impressive as a winning team, and tournament team at that. Ireland...who knows. Schmidt surely has something major up his sleeve but if Wales perform, these two are on par at worst. Crucially, Gatland seems to have the edge in terms of tactics on those two teams - where perhaps he lacks it v the Austrlians, for instance.

I think we can forget how many truly talented and world class players we have at the moment. Warburton's loss aside, there's still Faletau, Liam Williams, and Justin Tipuric, who are arguably the best in their position in the world. Add JD2 to that as well, maybe, and AWJ is a wonderful player, too. As is Ken.

There's a chance for Wales to do something really special and if they have the heart and the ambition to really go and win games, rather than avoid losing them, they can go all the way. I love 2005, as everyone did, and 2008 was in some ways even better as Wales drove their way to the title, rather than jinking and offloading and running everything like 3 years previously. 2011 was amazing and ridiculous but inevitable when you consider the transitional nature of that side - summed up by Priestland, a rookie at 10, and Stephen Jones, who retired not long after.

Yet this team, at the moment, is maybe my favourite as a fan. It feels like it's lacking egos. Not just the likes of Henson and Alfie, but also someone like Jamie Roberts - which might be harsh, but he's a big character with respect and always put his all in to playing for his country, despite his limitations. More importantly, there seems to be more of a meritocracy now, which hasn't always been the case with Gatland, and - from the outside looking in - it appears to be a harmonious squad that isn't far away from really maximising its ability because they're playing like a team and a squad, and not a group of Lions + extras. Halfpenny key there: a Lions hero yet may miss out on a place in the starting 15. That's a good sign for Wales.

I do think the missing ingredient is still an ability and a desire to play running rugby. They can do it when they just tear things up and need to score tries from nothing, but there's almost nothing really in between - it's why Anscombe has been so important as his running threat has helped in that regard slightly. As has Parkes - neither are perfect but they're less robotic than Roberts and less...frustrated...than Scott Williams was. We all know what North and LW can do so hopefully they're given the opportunity.

I won't be going out to Japan but hope anyone who does enjoys it. For a fan, it's about much more than just the rugby. For Wales the rugby team, I hope they're lifting the trophy at the end of this year which would be a really great thing to experience and might do wonders for injecting some passion back in to a country and communities that are in desperate, desperate need of some healthier and more inclusive (i.e. get more people participating not just soften it up) social and communal purpose, of which rugby is surely one of the best ways of doing it. I think we can forget the education system to help out there - individual teachers aside, the system is designed to effectively lop the head off any competition and excellence for the sake of pretending to get young kits fit by doing things no-one loves. I have no idea how the club game can sustain itself, either, unless it adapts to become a central hub in more than just the traditional ways. Looking at the SH, and their approach to sport, is not vastly different to the UK in its structure yet it's so much more successful because of values an 'buy in', I suppose. In essence, it's a healthier, happier society by the looks of things, and spot contributes to, and is a result of, that. It's heartbreaking to see what is happening across the country, the way kids in particular are now being 'got at' through screen technology, and adults alike, no doubt. I have no idea how much impact a Welsh RWC win might have in real terms - but the 2003 win for England was massive. Has too much changed since then to result in a similar sort of uptake and 'goodwill' funding from government to actually address the social and economic issues impacting health and wellbeing in Wales? Maybe. But aside from just celebrating the group of Welshmen on the field, I'd hope any Welsh success would also see positive impacts in what (I think) were named as some of the most impoverished and least healthy parts of the UK.

Strange to think Gatland will be gone at the end of the year. Even with his Lions sabbaticals, he's almost part of the furniture now. I have my misgivings about Pivac - and not so much about his abilities as about his experience and how he copes with the onslaught Gatland put up with for years. There's a love in now but it only really ended once Gatland pulled off the draw in NZ (which is still an insane result when you think about it). I think we're losing one of the best rugby managers in the world, maybe the best at what he does, for some with a more progressive approach to the game but who will no doubt lack what Gatland brought to the table. In any case, the issues with the game do far deeper than the top tier and in many ways Wales' success belies the shambles beneath the international sport - to think the side won a Grand Slam whilst having to deal with the fact some of them were potentially about to be made unemployed as the Ospreys faced a merger with the Scarlets. We are our own worse enemies at times and for all the issues with the Pro14, there are lots of problems Wales could fix internally before looking to that.

Anyway, that's more than enough. Hope Wales win the World Cup in Japan but, if not, hope they at least do themselves proud.

Cheers to those who made this forum enjoyable.

miaow

Posts : 2670
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by The Oracle on Tue 07 May 2019, 3:26 pm

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts, Miaow. I haven’t always agreed with you (on the odd club thread or two. On Wales we seem to hold similar views). I prefer reading your lengthy analysis over the one line rants and ‘analysis’ of others!
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2041
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 07 May 2019, 3:29 pm

'One-line rant' is an oxymoron, isn't it?

Whistle

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 23492
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 40
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by The Oracle on Tue 07 May 2019, 4:43 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:'One-line rant' is an oxymoron, isn't it?

Whistle

You calling me a Moron?! Mods! MODS!!!!

The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2041
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Thu 09 May 2019, 3:07 am

The Oracle wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:'One-line rant' is an oxymoron, isn't it?

Whistle

You calling me a Moron?!  Mods! MODS!!!!


Folau is a bigoted, homophobic, ignorant, anachronistic, inflammatory, arrogant buffoon

1 line rant.


Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Thu 09 May 2019, 4:14 am

Miaow dont leave ffs.

Miaow, Miaow

Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 09 May 2019, 10:34 am

Pie wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:'One-line rant' is an oxymoron, isn't it?

Whistle

You calling me a Moron?!  Mods! MODS!!!!


Folau is a bigoted, homophobic, ignorant, anachronistic, inflammatory, arrogant buffoon

1 line rant.


VERB: Speak or shout at length in an angry, impassioned way.

NOUN: A spell of ranting; a tirade.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rant

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 23492
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 40
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by The Oracle on Thu 09 May 2019, 10:48 am

In fairness, it's also defined as 'to speak or shout in a loud or angry way'! No mention of 'length' there Whistle
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2041
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by SecretFly on Thu 09 May 2019, 10:50 am

Pie wrote:Miaow dont leave ffs.

Miaow, Miaow

Ah. Reminds me of one of my very Favouite movies of all time:

"He'd never have been able to shoot you if you'd seen him! - He'd never have even cleared the holdster, would he Miaow? - Pa's got things for you to do! - And mother wants you...wants you...wants you... - I know she does! - Miaow! - MIAOW! - Come back!..... "

Rugby 606 is the best movie ever made....probably. Sad

SecretFly

Posts : 30130
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Sat 11 May 2019, 10:42 am

Looking at the looseheads in the squad.

Rhys Carre - new boy, uncapped big lump of a player looked very good at u20s has started to show promise this season, enough for Sarries to swoop in and take him

Rob Evans - last years golden boy, injury and a dip in form this season knocked him off being first choice. More than capable to get the first choice tag back and time with the squad might do it

Wyn Jones - had a good season for scarlets with rob evans injured, played well when given international opportunities

Nicky Smith - current golden boy first choice great six nations performances.

Between Evans and Smith we have two very good quality LHs, the back up has plenty of potential. We need Both Smith and Evans to really hit their best. Very tough call if only three looseheads go to Japan.

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by EnglishReign on Thu 16 May 2019, 10:43 pm

Average side, seen it all before. Even a broken clock gets it right twice a day. Would never get near England's intensity, which doesn't bode well against the proper teams.

Still, who fancies a sake in Sapporo? I'll be there.

EnglishReign

Posts : 1974
Join date : 2011-06-12
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by EnglishReign on Thu 16 May 2019, 10:45 pm

miaow wrote:Had hoped to carry this thread through the the start of the RWC as an interesting way of seeing how Wales developed in the 12 months prior, but as I've said over on the Club side, I'm leaving the forum.

Good luck to everyone. Hope Wales capitalise on the potential shown in 2011 and 2015. There's enough ability there, in the players and the coaches, to win the thing outright. The only team Wales will 'fear' is New Zealand, as they're the only team they haven't beaten in this RWC cycle. They've got a 2-1-1 record v Ireland, a very close 1-0-3 record v England where they were in all 3 they were playing for the winning score at 80 minutes (within 7 points). A loss v Scotland was disappointing but fair as they've showed they're a dangerous side, and have beaten every 6Ns team in this cycle and pushed NZ close as well. The wins v SA have been encouraging but I think they're a sleeping giant waiting to pounce and make them 2nd favourites for the tournament behinds the ABs - if Wales deal with their physicality they've shown they can manage a game far better, but at a RWC, SA will be a different beast. Finally got an unconvincing (in terms of scoreline) win v Oz but with them coming up in the groups, we'll see where that back-dwelling monkey's really is. Losing to France was disappointing if surreal, the only time to have done so since the 2011 semi-final. I wonder if Wales have been more dominant v France since the second world war? Worth looking up perhaps...but anyway, Wales have not only got a GS under their belt, but they've got the key wins they've been missing in previous years as well.

We can only hope the 2017 Lions experience will have helped if we have to face NZ but, minus Warburton, I can't see Wales having the mental belief to go and beat NZ unless it's a RWC final - at which point who knows. So hopefully we avoid them as 2016 there's a gap in physical and skill ability that Wales showed little sign of bridging with game management away from home. The 2016 performances were good, but in a 'well done' kind of way rather than any tangible sense of having NZ on the ropes for a majority of the match. Let's hope they have breathing problems in the knockouts if we are drawn against them.

As for everything else, it all hinges on the progression of fixtures in my opinion. For all Wales' strength in depth - which is the best I've known - it hinges on fitness and avoiding a repeat of 2015, which included a tough game v Fiji, two monstrous ties v England and Australia, before running out of steam v SA in the QFs. Beat Australia in the group and they're likely to avoid England and get the 'easier' side of the draw that would avoid NZ (I think?) as well. That's ideal, but it all starts with beating Oz and not slipping up against Fiji.

If Wales can keep their best players fit and their good players in form, they stand a very good chance of winning the thing outright. England have looked more impressive at times but I make Wales a much more impressive as a winning team, and tournament team at that. Ireland...who knows. Schmidt surely has something major up his sleeve but if Wales perform, these two are on par at worst. Crucially, Gatland seems to have the edge in terms of tactics on those two teams - where perhaps he lacks it v the Austrlians, for instance.

I think we can forget how many truly talented and world class players we have at the moment. Warburton's loss aside, there's still Faletau, Liam Williams, and Justin Tipuric, who are arguably the best in their position in the world. Add JD2 to that as well, maybe, and AWJ is a wonderful player, too. As is Ken.

There's a chance for Wales to do something really special and if they have the heart and the ambition to really go and win games, rather than avoid losing them, they can go all the way. I love 2005, as everyone did, and 2008 was in some ways even better as Wales drove their way to the title, rather than jinking and offloading and running everything like 3 years previously. 2011 was amazing and ridiculous but inevitable when you consider the transitional nature of that side - summed up by Priestland, a rookie at 10, and Stephen Jones, who retired not long after.

Yet this team, at the moment, is maybe my favourite as a fan. It feels like it's lacking egos. Not just the likes of Henson and Alfie, but also someone like Jamie Roberts - which might be harsh, but he's a big character with respect and always put his all in to playing for his country, despite his limitations. More importantly, there seems to be more of a meritocracy now, which hasn't always been the case with Gatland, and - from the outside looking in - it appears to be a harmonious squad that isn't far away from really maximising its ability because they're playing like a team and a squad, and not a group of Lions + extras. Halfpenny key there: a Lions hero yet may miss out on a place in the starting 15. That's a good sign for Wales.

I do think the missing ingredient is still an ability and a desire to play running rugby. They can do it when they just tear things up and need to score tries from nothing, but there's almost nothing really in between - it's why Anscombe has been so important as his running threat has helped in that regard slightly. As has Parkes - neither are perfect but they're less robotic than Roberts and less...frustrated...than Scott Williams was. We all know what North and LW can do so hopefully they're given the opportunity.

I won't be going out to Japan but hope anyone who does enjoys it. For a fan, it's about much more than just the rugby. For Wales the rugby team, I hope they're lifting the trophy at the end of this year which would be a really great thing to experience and might do wonders for injecting some passion back in to a country and communities that are in desperate, desperate need of some healthier and more inclusive (i.e. get more people participating not just soften it up) social and communal purpose, of which rugby is surely one of the best ways of doing it. I think we can forget the education system to help out there - individual teachers aside, the system is designed to effectively lop the head off any competition and excellence for the sake of pretending to get young kits fit by doing things no-one loves. I have no idea how the club game can sustain itself, either, unless it adapts to become a central hub in more than just the traditional ways. Looking at the SH, and their approach to sport, is not vastly different to the UK in its structure yet it's so much more successful because of values an 'buy in', I suppose. In essence, it's a healthier, happier society by the looks of things, and spot contributes to, and is a result of, that. It's heartbreaking to see what is happening across the country, the way kids in particular are now being 'got at' through screen technology, and adults alike, no doubt. I have no idea how much impact a Welsh RWC win might have in real terms - but the 2003 win for England was massive. Has too much changed since then to result in a similar sort of uptake and 'goodwill' funding from government to actually address the social and economic issues impacting health and wellbeing in Wales? Maybe. But aside from just celebrating the group of Welshmen on the field, I'd hope any Welsh success would also see positive impacts in what (I think) were named as some of the most impoverished and least healthy parts of the UK.

Strange to think Gatland will be gone at the end of the year. Even with his Lions sabbaticals, he's almost part of the furniture now. I have my misgivings about Pivac - and not so much about his abilities as about his experience and how he copes with the onslaught Gatland put up with for years. There's a love in now but it only really ended once Gatland pulled off the draw in NZ (which is still an insane result when you think about it). I think we're losing one of the best rugby managers in the world, maybe the best at what he does, for some with a more progressive approach to the game but who will no doubt lack what Gatland brought to the table. In any case, the issues with the game do far deeper than the top tier and in many ways Wales' success belies the shambles beneath the international sport - to think the side won a Grand Slam whilst having to deal with the fact some of them were potentially about to be made unemployed as the Ospreys faced a merger with the Scarlets. We are our own worse enemies at times and for all the issues with the Pro14, there are lots of problems Wales could fix internally before looking to that.

Anyway, that's more than enough. Hope Wales win the World Cup in Japan but, if not, hope they at least do themselves proud.

Cheers to those who made this forum enjoyable.

Cheerio. You made talking rubbish an art form.

EnglishReign

Posts : 1974
Join date : 2011-06-12
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by mikey_dragon on Thu 16 May 2019, 11:09 pm

"You made talking rubbish an art form." - nah I think you still got that, so how about exiting the forum, or at least this thread? We choose not to have bitter English on here.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 8356
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Pie on Fri 17 May 2019, 3:11 am

EnglishReign wrote:Average side, seen it all before. Even a broken clock gets it right twice a day. Would never get near England's intensity, which doesn't bode well against the proper teams.

Still, who fancies a sake in Sapporo? I'll be there.

Would that be the 'intensity' they displayed in the 2nd half v Scots or in Cardiff Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh


Last edited by Pie on Sat 18 May 2019, 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Pie

Posts : 554
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 17 May 2019, 7:12 am

Unnecessary wumming Englishreign

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 20436
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Fri 24 May 2019, 10:02 am

Finally an agreement with English clubs to release welsh players when the WRU request them.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-full-access-england-based-16323587

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by BamBam on Fri 24 May 2019, 10:31 am

Its a global deal agreed by World Rugby, slightly disingenuous of that article to paint it out to be a success for the WRU

BamBam

Posts : 15348
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 24 May 2019, 10:32 am

maestegmafia wrote:Finally an agreement with English clubs to release welsh players when the WRU request them.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-full-access-england-based-16323587

Should be noted this affects all clubs who have foreign internationals on their books. 

Glad it has been resolved as, to me anyway, it seemed unfair for clubs to carry the risk when players were injured while with their country.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 20436
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Fri 24 May 2019, 11:39 am

BamBam wrote:Its a global deal agreed by World Rugby, slightly disingenuous of that article to paint it out to be a success for the WRU



Not in the slightest bit disingenuous the praise has been given to World Rugby, the WRU are not even mentioned in the article once..!

“World Rugby has announced that compensation available will double from £225,000 to £500,000.”

It’s great news for Wales, it’s great news for all nations, giving everyone a level playing field. If the PRL are happy that let’s a hell of a lot of countries have access to their star players which should improve the RWC.

It’s good news all round for everyone.


Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 24 May 2019, 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia on Fri 24 May 2019, 11:40 am

LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Finally an agreement with English clubs to release welsh players when the WRU request them.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-full-access-england-based-16323587

Should be noted this affects all clubs who have foreign internationals on their books. 

Glad it has been resolved as, to me anyway, it seemed unfair for clubs to carry the risk when players were injured while with their country.

It was very unfair and an infuriatingly pedantic situation.

Must be a huge relief for the players too.

maestegmafia
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21833
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by LondonTiger on Fri 24 May 2019, 11:44 am

maestegmafia wrote:
BamBam wrote:Its a global deal agreed by World Rugby, slightly disingenuous of that article to paint it out to be a success for the WRU

It’s great news for all nations, giving everyone a level playing field. If the PRL are happy that let’s a hell of a lot of countries have access to their star players which should improve the RWC.

It’s good news all round for everyone.

It is good news all round. Saves SRU some money as they were having to pay extra insurance to get Blade Thompson's (sp?) release. That LNR have signed up is probably more beneficial to the game as the players released there will in general be to countries who would have struggled to pay to insure their players and gain their release.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 20436
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum