The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IPL 2019

+5
JDizzle
Duty281
VTR
Nathaniel Jacobs
Good Golly I'm Olly
9 posters

Go down

IPL 2019 Empty IPL 2019

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:30 pm

Yes it's almost time again...the IPL auction takes place next week and as ever there is plenty of English interest now. The following Englishmen are up for auction...

Chris Woakes, Sam Curran, Jonny Bairstow, Alex Hales, Luke Wright, Liam Dawson, Chris Jordan, Joe Denly, Mark Wood, Steven Finn, Tymal Mills, Harry Gurney, Liam Livingstone, Samit Patel, Pat Brown, Laurie Evans, Jamie Overton and Lewis Gregory

Full list of players up for auction, and crucially what price they have put themselves up at is below;

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/105583/346-cricketers-shortlisted-for-ipl-auction-indian-premier-league-2019-auction

Looking at that list I'd struggle to see Wright, Dawson, Denly, Finn, Gurney, and Samit being picked up at their prices. Reckon the likes of Pat Brown and Lewis Gregory have an outside shot!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

IPL 2019 Empty Re: IPL 2019

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Tue 11 Dec 2018, 3:26 pm

The fringe players probably got a good chance to land deals. The Australians big names are gradually withdrawing eg Starc, Finch, Maxwell etc. The remaining Australians have to join up for a pre world cup training camp at the beginning of May, coupled with with Pakistan vs Australia ODIs at the beginning of April. Smith and Warner are playing, probably trying to recoup that estimated $5-6m loss of earnings...

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 11 Dec 2018, 6:51 pm

Genuine lol at Luke Wright's base price being in the second highest bracket. He has practically zero technique and just tries to slog every ball as hard as he can

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 11 Dec 2018, 7:23 pm

VTR wrote:Genuine lol at Luke Wright's base price being in the second highest bracket. He has practically zero technique and just tries to slog every ball as hard as he can

Christ, just had a look at Luke Wright's stats on Cricinfo. Played as many as 50 ODIs for England - averaging 20 with the bat and nearly 60 with the ball. Dark times.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 11 Dec 2018, 9:54 pm

Not based on the price bands as I've not really had a look, but Denly and Gregory come out pretty well in the analytics that float about these days so I'd not be shocked to see them get gigs (although I suspect Gregory's bowling would be absolute fodder, but he does absolutely smash it).

And who wouldn't want to see Pat Brown's knuckle balls in the IPL?!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 13 Dec 2018, 5:05 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Yes it's almost time again...the IPL auction takes place next week and as ever there is plenty of English interest now. The following Englishmen are up for auction...

Chris Woakes, Sam Curran, Jonny Bairstow, Alex Hales, Luke Wright, Liam Dawson, Chris Jordan, Joe Denly, Mark Wood, Steven Finn, Tymal Mills, Harry Gurney, Liam Livingstone, Samit Patel, Pat Brown, Laurie Evans, Jamie Overton and Lewis Gregory

what about Stokes and Archer...Eng's two best fast bowling allrounders
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 13 Dec 2018, 8:49 am

Stokes and Archer, along with some others including Buttler and Moeen, were retained by their franchise. Fee for Stokes will be reduced I guess as only available for a maximum of 4 weeks.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 13 Dec 2018, 9:15 am

LondonTiger wrote:Stokes and Archer, along with some others including Buttler and Moeen, were retained by their franchise. Fee for Stokes will be reduced I guess as only available for a maximum of 4 weeks.

Ohh OK...thx
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 18 Dec 2018, 1:17 pm

Sam Curran sold for £805,000, or 1 million US dollars to Kings XI Punjab! Great news for him

Alex Hales went unsold as did Chris Jordan. In fact some very surprising players unsold so far - will update (or find a good article) when it’s completed

(Surrey mafia - Morne Morkel went unsold so far)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 18 Dec 2018, 1:26 pm

We're all waiting for the moment Luke Wright goes for a few million

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 18 Dec 2018, 1:44 pm

Slightly surprised that Bairstow was bought

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Dec 2018, 4:12 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Sam Curran sold for £805,000, or 1 million US dollars to Kings XI Punjab! Great news for him

Alex Hales went unsold as did Chris Jordan. In fact some very surprising players unsold so far - will update (or find a good article) when it’s completed

(Surrey mafia - Morne Morkel went unsold so far)

Thanks, Olly - and glad you acknowledge you have more homework to hand in on this. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 18 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

Most of the English players went unsold. No great surprise really, as there were some pretty rubbish names on the list. Gurney was a surprise though, and could actually be some shrewd business

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 19 Dec 2018, 9:40 am

VTR wrote:Most of the English players went unsold. No great surprise really, as there were some pretty rubbish names on the list. Gurney was a surprise though, and could actually be some shrewd business

The best ones were retained by their franchises from last season I guess (Buttler, Stokes, Ali, Archer, Willey and Billings all retained). As a left armer who will be available for the entire IPL season I guess Gurney is a decent and cheap back up player. 

When you look at the names among the unsold (Amla, Morkel and Steyn for instance) and those released (Starc, Maxwell) it does seem that the impact of the World Cup preparations may have played a part in the decision making. Hence my surprise that Bairstow got a contract.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 19 Dec 2018, 11:43 am

LondonTiger wrote:
VTR wrote:Most of the English players went unsold. No great surprise really, as there were some pretty rubbish names on the list. Gurney was a surprise though, and could actually be some shrewd business

The best ones were retained by their franchises from last season I guess (Buttler, Stokes, Ali, Archer, Willey and Billings all retained). As a left armer who will be available for the entire IPL season I guess Gurney is a decent and cheap back up player. 

When you look at the names among the unsold (Amla, Morkel and Steyn for instance) and those released (Starc, Maxwell) it does seem that the impact of the World Cup preparations may have played a part in the decision making. Hence my surprise that Bairstow got a contract.

Keeper batsmen are gold though, as are all rounders evidenced by Currans absurd wage. Bairstow at £240,000 is an absolute steal when you look into what some have gone for. I do agree that availability has played a part too in how the auctions panned out, and may account for why he didnt go for more and why the likes of Woakes didnt get a look in. I havent looked into the details but its possible that some of those big names just weren't willing to go for anything other than top dollar.
Mills not selling shows how much his stock has fallen over the last couple of seasons.

I can see some value in Gurney as a left armer, but he went for more than Liam Livingstone and only slightly less than Joe Denly.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Wed 19 Dec 2018, 5:26 pm

Bairstow is merely cover for Warner, if he’s selected for Australia’s ODI series in the Middle East. Hyderabad have re-signed Saha who’s guaranteed to don the gloves

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down