The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+17
Fernando
Dolphin Ziggler
tigertattie
kingraf
TM Moot
JDizzle
BamBam
crazy_dave23
Forward Pass
Pr4wn
Number-25
Lowlandbrit
Good Golly I'm Olly
skins4ever
gazzyD
twelve283
GSC
21 posters

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I mean are we even sure Gordon isn't a one year wonder who never stuck around for his drop off season.

A lot of hype for a guy who's had more near comebacks than games played in years
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Onto the wildcard weekend - what are we thinking about results in the four games?

Really tough to call - can't remember a wildcard round this exciting for a while though. Doesn't appear to be any cupcake sides this year!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by skins4ever Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:14 pm

I'm thinking the Texans D may well decide that one but it's probably the closest of the 4. I'm backing the Texans.

Seattle should beat a Cowboys side that is something of a coin flip as to which side turns up on any given Sunday. Prescott doesn't look like a playoff winning QB to me, at least not this year.

Bears should beat the Eagles if only with their D. Foles doesn't have the mobility to avoid their pass rush and they don't have the rushing attack to relieve the pressure.

Chargers v Ravens is the most intriguing one for me. I think with Gordon back the Chargers could compete with the Ravens D, so its a matter of which Ravens O turns up. I suspect they can't put up the rushing numbers they have recently against a good but not great Chargers D, so it could come down to how well Jackson throws. I'm edging the Chargers on this one.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:08 pm

For me...
Colts
Seahawks
Ravens
Bears

(so probably the other 4!)

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:09 am

Why do I always predict the Texans to win playoff games against my better judgement...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Jerry Jones bout give Dak that 5/125 after that fourth quarter.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:49 pm

If the people in charge of the Cowboys offense weren't so spectacularly mediocre, that would be a terrifying team.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:17 am

Kind of feel the Bears got cheated on that non-fumble. Daresay the NFL will have to come out with an explanation on Monday.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:13 am

What an unbelievable game. Incredible
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:55 am

*cough*
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:56 am

skins4ever wrote:Kind of feel the Bears got cheated on that non-fumble. Daresay the NFL will have to come out with an explanation on Monday.

Its in the rulebook, if you overturn an incomplete pass to a catch and fumble, there has to be a clear possession/out of bounds, else it's incomplete

Weird rule, but it's there
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:21 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Are we all excited for the Eagles to win out and kick off another summer of QB debate?
I'm not saying they shop him, but if they pull it off again and someone calls asking about Wentz you have to at least consider it, right?

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Unless someone wants to offer 3 firsts for Wentz it's a non starter.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:05 pm

If Nick Foles wins another super bowl, is he a hall of famer? #eli
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:37 pm

GSC wrote:Unless someone wants to offer 3 firsts for Wentz it's a non starter.
Serious question: would you be more annoyed to see Wentz or Foles win a SB with another team?

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 am

Sounds like Matt LaFleur to the Packers and Arians to the Bucs are basically done.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:55 am

Lowlandbrit wrote:
GSC wrote:Unless someone wants to offer 3 firsts for Wentz it's a non starter.
Serious question: would you be more annoyed to see Wentz or Foles win a SB with another team?

They're going to keep Wentz so it doesn't really matter on that front.

But not really overall.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Sounds like Matt LaFleur to the Packers and Arians to the Bucs are basically done.
Throw in Kingsbury to the Cardinals. Teams moving quickly this year.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:14 am

Very happy with the Arians hire.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:13 am

Arians is easily the best hire so far

Don't get the Packers hiring LaFleur - should have been Fangio for me - weaken a division rival, sort out your D and find a young mind to be your OC with Rodgers. LaFleur hasn't even proven to be a great young mind, he just shared coffee with McVay a bit

Kingsbury hire is a HUGE risk - he would've been a good OC hire, but he's proven to be a poor college HC...so I struggle to see him transitioning well to the NFL
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:06 am

It's always hard to predict if HC hires are going to work or not, but I'm not a huge fan of any of them so far. Arians is obviously the safe bet, but what exactly are they hoping to get out of him? Is that a team that's ready to contend right away?

LaFleur and Kingsbury both make sense to the extent that if the offense works you don't want them walking off to a HC job somewhere else in a year or two. Everyone wants a McVay or Nagy, but I don't think there's a Phillips or Fangio for all of them, so that's going to be very interesting to watch.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 am

Lowlandbrit wrote:It's always hard to predict if HC hires are going to work or not, but I'm not a huge fan of any of them so far. Arians is obviously the safe bet, but what exactly are they hoping to get out of him? Is that a team that's ready to contend right away?

LaFleur and Kingsbury both make sense to the extent that if the offense works you don't want them walking off to a HC job somewhere else in a year or two. Everyone wants a McVay or Nagy, but I don't think there's a Phillips or Fangio for all of them, so that's going to be very interesting to watch.

Not sure the Bucs are ready to contend right away, but I do think Arians's offence fits brilliantly with the WRs/TEs they already have there, and should get more out of Winston than the Koetter offence did. Also whilst Bowles was a pretty meh HC, he is a good proven DC so should be able to begin to turn round that D in Tampa Bay.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:00 am

Here's hoping. There's a lot of talent on our roster that's going largely unused.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:09 am

Pr4wn wrote:Here's hoping. There's a lot of talent on our roster that's going largely unused.

I'd love to see them use Chris Godwin more, I wouldn't be surprised if Arians put him in the slot like he did with Larry Fitz. Desean Jackson can be the "John Brown" but much better and Mike Evans is obviously a beast. Also likes his TEs to get vertical which should suit OJ Howard too - could do with better RBs mind, and I'd say the OL needs work? What do you reckon?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 am

I'm sure Bruce won't be quick to throw them under the bus if it doesn't work out
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Sounds like Matt LaFleur to the Packers and Arians to the Bucs are basically done.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Throw in Kingsbury to the Cardinals. Teams moving quickly this year.
Browns are going with Kitchens, Fangio to the Broncos.

Still think the Browns let him limit their search too much, but I get the thinking. Really like the Fangio hire. Broncos basically have the offensive version of Wade Phillips in Gary Kubiak, so if their GM could actually recognise a good QB they'd be set for a while...

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:14 am

Ah the Jets - wanted Matt Rhule, but wouldn't allow him to hire his assistants so he turned them down and they end up with Adam Gase who's getting his crappy band back together in NYJ.

And people wonder how the Pats win the AFC East every single year
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am

Cheating?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:32 am

GSC wrote:Cheating?

drumroll drumroll drumroll
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:46 pm

After all the talk about Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph, the Bengals are reportedly planning to jump on the 'hire someone that's spoken to McVay before' train with Zac Taylor.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:And people wonder how the Pats win the AFC East every single year
And the latest rumour is that the Dolphins are this year's 'go after a Belichick assistant' suckers. That whole division has just given up hope of being good as long as Belichick and/or Brady are there.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 pm

The Redskins have extended Allen's responsibilities instead of firing him. Proof positive that he's a stooge for Snyder's dumb management. I will never cease being a Skins fan, but I more and more feel very reticent about buying anything that puts money in his pockets. How can a guy who's made himself so rich (must have done something right in business) screw up the management of an organisation so badly and yet still think he's doing the right thing? We're almost worse than the Browns were; at least they knew they were bad, we're just consistently mediocre. Sad Rolling Eyes

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 am

I always like to see Dallas beaten, but I have to ask how Collins managed to sack his own QB?...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:51 am

He was about to get murdered by Donald so just as well.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:44 pm

GSC wrote:He was about to get murdered by Donald so just as well.
laughing True

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:43 am

Brilliant performance by the Pats yesterday - I'm not entirely sure how they stop Mahomes/KC offence, so they'll need the offence to repeat what they did first half yesterday all game to have a shot, but they're in the dance and that's all that matters
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:55 am

Everyone loves Andy Reid and Mahomes might be the most fun player to watch in the league, so the Patriots will probably win by 10+ points because we can't have nice things.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Some of the assistant coaching hires so far:
-Browns are bringing in Todd Monken as OC, so that should be fun to watch. Steve Wilks will be DC there
-Vance Joseph is the new Cardinals DC, reportedly Sarkisian turned them down at OC to go back to Alabama
-Dirk Koetter is now the OC in Atlanta with Mike Mularkey as TE coach
-Kubiak isn't going to be the Broncos OC after all, he's taken some sort of advisor job with the Vikings (who are keeping Stefanski)
-Bears have brought in Chuck Pagano as DC
-Ravens are replacing Marty Mornhinweg with Greg Roman at OC
-Packers have brought in former Jags OC Nathaniel Hackett

Kellen Moore, Mike Kafka and Ryan Lindley are all QB coaches, and could be serious OC or maybe even HC candidates next year. DeMarco Murray is now a RB coach at the University of Arizona. Where has the time gone?

Adam Gase started getting memed to death pretty much the second he sat down for his introductory press conference because he looked like he'd taken something beforehand.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Kubiak is in effect deputy HC in charge of offense. Probably Zimmer accepting he can't run the O and that they have to get VFM from Cousins. I'd expect one of 2 scenarios there; OC will be calling the plays that Kubiak signs off on each week or Kubiak calls plays.

Sorry Olly, if the Chiefs play both sides of the ball like they did against the Colts then I think it's the Chiefs game to lose. I can see them getting out to a 2 TD lead and the Pats chasing. The Chargers D scheme flaws were exposed by a top QB and the Pats D didn't give Rivers time to throw. Mahomes makes his own time so that negates the latter, and if the Chiefs front 7 can put pressure on Brady and stuff the run, the Pats will be chasing the scoreboard. Only way I see the Pats winning is if Belichick pulls another rabbit out of the hat scheming up for Mahomes; I doubt it, but it's far from implausible.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 am

Predictions? I'm sticking with the Saints and Chiefs. I can't see Brees folding in this one and the Saints D should be good enough to check the Rams. They'll aim to stop the run and see if Goff can carry the team. The Pats may well be able to score on KC but I just see KC scoring more and more consistently; potentially every time they force the Pats to punt could put them another score up. But the AFC game could be the tightest and if it goes down to the last drive and Brady has the ball in his hands...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:06 pm

Oh skins I agree the chiefs are favourites and I’d be surprised if they lost - no idea how the Pats stop the Chiefs O, we’ve sucked on the road all year too. I’ll say 34-24, not a particularly close game

Rams/Saints is a coin flip for me - will say Saints cos they’re at home
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:28 am

NFL refs Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:47 pm

GSC wrote:NFL refs Laugh

If I was a KC or NO fan right now I'd be praying they never see those officials again. I'll say it again and again, officials HAVE to keep the flag in their pocket if they can't be sure, but they also have to throw it if they are sure and be prepared to pick it up if they get corrected. I could understand a doubt from an official 20 yards away from the PI, but when you are stood 5 yards away and you don't see that he hits the man that far before the ball gets there? Then you have a call from an official who apparently has x-ray eyes that can see through Brady's helmet? Sorry, we're rapidly advancing to a point where officiating is going to be all done through replay if we're not careful. It is a tough job, but they are supposed to be the best of the best, and to have potentially impacted the outcome of 2 championship games with bad calls/no calls is just plain wrong. I don't know of a solution that doesn't involve either adding officials to the field of play or relying on replay much more, and neither option is one the NFL will consider lightly. But they have to do something. There are guys on the Saints and Chiefs who may never play in a SB now because a guy who didn't play influenced the game. That's just wrong.

"But the AFC game could be the tightest and if it goes down to the last drive and Brady has the ball in his hands..." and he did it twice on 2 straight drives. Much as I have no liking for Brady or Belichick, both probably are the GOAT's at what they do. I can see them winning again in 2 weeks because Belichick will scheme up the way he did against the Chiefs. He knew they had to stymie the Chiefs O and get a couple of scores up early then weather the storm, because the Chiefs have shown time and again this season they will come back. The Chiefs need to do something with their D in the offseason and find a new RB. They can come back strong next year, but only if they can close out wins with their D.

Right now I have to go with the Pats in the SB, much as it pains me. The Rams may have more overall talent, but I think they will be out coached.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:53 am

NFL is a bit of a joke these days, to be honest. Always making headlines for all the wrong reasons, unfortunately.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 am

The roughing the passer call was clearly awful - but if not called it would’ve been 3rd and 7 still - to suggest it changed the outcome of the game completely is ludicrous - arguably the non OPI call on Conley on the Watkins catch (which was as clear an OPI as you will see) was more influential...if that had been Dorsett and Edelman I think we’d have been hearing about it today....

Instead lets talk about what was an incredible game, and in particular one of the best fourth quarters you will see in the NFL. Early game you had the genius of Belichick on show, shutting the chiefs out for a half with our D is ridiculous. Then you had Mahomes, the next superstar of the league, showing his talent - what a player, some throws he makes baffle the mind. But then, when needed, the Patriots offence and Brady did what they do in the clutch, three straight TD drives to finish the game, numerous third and longs converted with absolute bullets and a Gronk/Edelman rolling back the years with some clutch catches.

Saints/Rams was also a very good game unfortunately marred by that call - actually think that call has overshadowed what a poor job both coaches did at the end of that game. McVay kicking a field goal when he’s got 4th down half an inch from a TD was stupid, Payton completely botching the final series and then whisper it quietly, but Drew Brees’s arm when throwing over ten yards, is gone. You’ve seen it in December and early January, but he’s throwing helium balloons when going deep right now - could be an injury of course, but one to keep an eye on early next season...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 pm

I agree, though in my defence I said they influenced the outcomes, but definitively changed them. Wholly agree with the observation about Payton, for a guy with his experience to try passing when there was no clear need? I reckon if they had left under 40 secs on the clock, the Rams wouldn't have come back. And I suspect Brees was carrying an injury. Your shoulder doesn't suddenly go like that just through age. Maybe as much to do with how often they pass? I'd go so far as to say the Saints lost the game in the 1st half. If they'd taken their chances to go 21 pts up early I can't see the Rams overcoming that deficit.

Totally agree that the Chiefs were out coached. That's why I think the Pats will win, much as I'd like to see the Rams do it. I do feel a bit for Andy Reid, but he never seems to learn; comes across to me as a 'my way works' kind of coach, whereas Belichick is very much 'I'll find something that works'. I don't think there is and maybe has never been anyone capable of scheming up to take away an opponents strengths so consistently.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Bob Sutton's out as Chiefs DC. Bit surprising that they actually pulled the trigger, but it seems like a pretty obvious way to improve.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Until they hired Steve Spagnuolo and did not improve
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Someone help me out here.

I take it coaches can only challenge a call by the refs and not challenge a non call?

If so, then the NFL need to change that rule so non calls can be challenged!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:06 pm

tigertattie wrote:If so, then the NFL need to change that rule so non calls can be challenged!
They almost certainly won't. I think the feeling is that while this was incredibly obvious, where do you draw the line? You can probably find someone doing something questionable on most plays, and the reviews all take time.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:15 pm

I would suggest being able to challenge player safety calls & non-calls should be considered, thus encompassing the play in the Rams win, but only where the challenge is to establish if a call re players safety was incorrectly adjudged at risk (i.e. calling H2H when there was no contact) or a call missed that put a player at risk. If the NFL is serious about player safety they have to at least think about it.

But I agree challenges for judgement calls like PI would be happening far too often and involve breaking down the whole play, not just the last instant. Most challengeable plays are based on the final act of the play so have a finite timeframe involved in the review. Once you totally open up judgement calls for replay it becomes too much of a can of worms.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next