The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+17
Collapse2005
westisbest
I'm never wrong
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
raycastleunited
Eyetoldyouso
kwinigolfer
pedro
beninho
dynamark
Davie
JAS
navyblueshorts
McLaren
Diggers
super_realist
21 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Dec 2018 - 8:40

First topic message reminder :

Diggers wrote:On another note I’ve been teaching Spanish as part of my job this year, tricky when I don’t speak a word...or didn’t. Been using Duolingo for 3 weeks, still very early but amazing how quickly it helps you pick things up. Also asked the wife for some CD’s for Xmas to listen to on my commute. There is a Spanish guy who works for the premises team so when I feel a bit more confident Ill try some conversational Spanish with him.
Anyway, early but that’s my new year resolution, to follow it through and at least be competent, partly to help with my job and partly because Uve always wanted to learn a language, partly because I really think learning new stuff keeps your brain fresher.
Anyone else have something they really want to learn to do?

I'm not trying to be confrontational here Diggers, but how on earth can a school let someone without the skills in a subject to teach it? I can see how someone could blag teaching something like art, PE, English etc, but not a language. I suppose if it's at Primary Level you could teach counting to ten, asking where the railway station is etc.
I presume it's not secondary school?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 19:29

super_realist wrote:What's the bet this drone nonsense is the doing of some hypocrite environmentalist group.

Or the work of some sociopath who hates everyone...

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 19:33

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:What's the bet this drone nonsense is the doing of some hypocrite environmentalist group.

Same thing

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 19:42

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:

Same thing

You’re an environmentalist hypocrite?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 19:48

Rolling Eyes Very poor Diggers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 19:53

Amused me.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 19:56

Careful, GPB will give you pelters for laughing at your own jokes. It is verboten on these boards.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 20:25

super_realist wrote:Careful, GPB will give you pelters for laughing at your own jokes. It is verboten on these boards.

Wasn't you that berated him for posting his own tweet? 
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 20:31

What the hell are you on about Mac? I berated him for being shamelessly self indulgent, not making a joke.

I'm not even on twitter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 21:40

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:Think the players don’t play reason gets trotted out too often. I’ve seen plenty of Man Utd this season. I’ve seen players look lost and lacking confidence (due to a lack of a plan and bizarre selection) but I’ve only seen Pogba look like he was disinterested. To point the finger at Rashford beggars belief, he’s ran his socks off and has bailed them out (as a kid) plenty of times this year.

Dyna, In sorry but you are spouting utter rubbish, it’s like a Daily Mail headline. The homeless situation is spiralling, there are queues of people trying to get beds and going from hostel to hostel, kids in tow. They aren’t refusing help. The bedroom tax was farcical, the universal credit roll out has caused chaos for low income families, food banks queues are increasingly everywhere. Even your party is finally admitting it with a new policy to address the homeless problem, though it doesn’t do nearly enough and as usual has had to be pressured the act at all.
How you can call Corbyn a strange leader when you have May, an out and out right wing Tory, is strange to me.

To suggest Mourihno had/had no plan seems pretty bizarre. Maybe the players are simply too thick to understand what he's asking them to do. Should be easy for them - do what's asked and if you do, and it goes wrong, it's only one person's fault. They can't even do whatever's asked. I wasn't pointing at Rashford - I think he's excellent and one of the few ManU bright spots.

Corbyn is a strange leader. So's May.

Or maybe his plans have just been utterly crap? You seem to be suggesting that simply having a plan makes a plan followable and good. I think May is proving that isn’t the case. Like Mac said earlier, the way he sets up means the forwards have too much work to do (which they’ve been doing), they can’t then be as explosive going forward...so they look crap. Because they followed his plan, which does not work against any half decent side.Fair enough with Pogba, but he doesn’t play Mata, they desperately needed someone like him against Liverpool. Other managers know exactly what is coming, no surprises, and they set up accordingly and we’ve seen what happens.
This season has been an utter farce for Man Utd, he’s had plenty of time to have a squad that is at least competitive with Arsenal and Chelsea but he is miles behind. Only surprise is it’s taken so long to offload him.
Fair enough. I guess it's all just opinion. Still, I forget that Mourihno's won chuff all and knows less than us on here OK.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 20 Dec 2018 - 21:42

Well, whoever it is is going to find themselves in a heap of trouble soon. W_a_nkers.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 8:02

navyblueshorts wrote:
Well, whoever it is is going to find themselves in a heap of trouble soon. W_a_nkers.

Hopefully a very long custodial sentence.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 10:22

I can’t believe the technology isn’t readily available to take out drones that enter what should be protected airspace. Even in the absence of that how the perpetrator managed to persist for so long evading detection...really??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 10:39

Meanwhile back on the subject of how the cost of things have risen relative to wages. Just seen the Entry price for the 2019 Tassie and it’s £300. I first entered in 2010 for the princely sum of £180. So basically a 66% increase in 10 years.
Can anybody boast a 66% increase in their salary (excluding promotions or major job changes) in the past 10 years??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 11:00

Hilarious new Govt immigration policy. Just shows you manifestos are worth absolutely jack all, never stuck to, but are somehow important when it comes to talking about Brexit.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 11:52

JAS wrote:Meanwhile back on the subject of how the cost of things have risen relative to wages. Just seen the Entry price for the 2019 Tassie and it’s £300. I first entered in 2010 for the princely sum of £180. So basically a 66% increase in 10 years.
Can anybody boast a 66% increase in their salary (excluding promotions or major job changes) in the past 10 years??

Firstly, that's starting to sound quite pricey now, but from what I hear still worth it. But I understand the event is massively over-subscribed so they can test the elasticity of the price! I've noticed significant green fee inflation at premium courses in the last few years. The Open rota courses are all adding £10-20 every year.

Would be interesting to see what wage inflation has been for someone doing exactly the same over the last 10 years. Most people get better at their job which is reflected in how much they earn.

There must be loads of statistical analysis out there if I could be bothered to google it. Starting salary for a graduate in London where I work has gone up from about £16k to £28k in 20 years, 75% increase, but in the last 10 years it's only gone up £3-4k.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 12:01

Diggers wrote:Hilarious new Govt immigration policy. Just shows you manifestos are worth absolutely jack all, never stuck to, but are somehow important when it comes to talking about Brexit.

How dare you cross check an announcement against a manifesto commitment. What blatant anti government subversion is that?? give this government another few years in office and it will be jail for such treachery :-p

On a more serious note this is where the whole immigration/anti immigration narrative unravels. The needs and wants of big business Vs the wishes of a big swathe of the population who think the country is full up. Eventually, the small minded insular types will come to realise that immigration isn’t the issue per se. The real issue is globalisation and how to fairly carve up the interests of the elites and the masses. Any immigration policy that ignores that dynamic is doomed to fail eventually, one way or another.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 12:06

raycastleunited wrote:
JAS wrote:Meanwhile back on the subject of how the cost of things have risen relative to wages. Just seen the Entry price for the 2019 Tassie and it’s £300. I first entered in 2010 for the princely sum of £180. So basically a 66% increase in 10 years.

Firstly, that's starting to sound quite pricey now, but from what I hear still worth it. But I understand the event is massively over-subscribed so they can test the elasticity of the price! I've noticed significant green fee inflation at premium courses in the last few years. The Open rota courses are all adding £10-20 every year.

Would be interesting to see what wage inflation has been for someone doing exactly the same over the last 10 years. Most people get better at their job which is reflected in how much they earn.

There must be loads of statistical analysis out there if I could be bothered to google it. Starting salary for a graduate in London where I work has gone up from about £16k to £28k in 20 years, 75% increase, but in the last 10 years it's only gone up £3-4k.

Some data yesterday showing that if you graph inflation against pay rises we are pretty much where we were pre Tories. People aren’t getting richer, and the poverty gap is growing. Finally releasing some money to the public sector will have helped those figures, Im sure that won’t be a consistent measure as it’s utterly against the ideology of this govt.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 12:13

raycastleunited wrote:

That’s a fair point Ray, yes because it’s ridiculously over subscribed I suppose they can try it on, up from £240 last year which is a huge jump and probably an attempt to cash in on the Open.

The other event I used to do was a 4bbb at Pebble Beach, when I first entered (2009) it was $1695 (which was 2 nights at the Lodge at PB and 2 rounds of golf (one on PB one on Spanish bay). In 2010 exchange rates made that less than £1000. I declined this years invite, it was $2695 which translates to over £2000. Obviously throw in flights, and additional holiday accomadation (no point in going to California for just a couple of days) and it’s a trip which is now sadly out of reach as an annual jolly.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 14:21

super_realist wrote:What the hell are you on about Mac? I berated him for being shamelessly self indulgent, not making a joke.

I'm not even on twitter.

Super

I was just wondering why you make a distinction between re posting your own tweet on here or laughing at your own jokes?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 14:24

Diggers wrote:To point the finger at Rashford beggars belief, he’s ran his socks off and has bailed them out (as a kid) plenty of times this year.

Wasn't tying to point the finger at Rashford but more about how Jose uses him, and that has brought on any struggles Rashford has had.  In fact as I said above somewhere under Pep or Klopp Rashford and Martiel could be a Sane/Sterling or Mo/Mane type pairing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 14:26

dynamark wrote:600 not that many really for a year-

If 600 deaths is "not that many" isn't there two ways to look at this.  Take your utterly morally bankrupt stance that they should just be left to die, or you if it really isn't that many then it shouldn't take a great deal of effort to make it zero?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 14:33

navyblueshorts wrote:

I am now a bit curious to see how easy it would be to coordinate a few simultaneous drone fly overs at all the UK biggest airports to test how simple it would be to screw the whole country.  To be clear I wouldn't do it but if some green peace nutters want to try it or something.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 14:57

dynamark wrote:Ben theres plenty of help out there for the'homeless'.Weve taken folk out of bus shelters and put them in a flat and they cannot cope with locking doors and electric bills regardless of the support workers =clearing out a few weeks later.People dying homeless( including in shelters,temporary etc) figures today big number 600 not that many really for a year-drugs.liverfailure-suicide.We give help but we cannot help all of the people all of the time.Funny how these things hit the press at Xmas.

This is spot on! Despite the number 600 obviously being 600 too many, dyna is right that there are plenty of "homeless" people who choose to live that way.

My partner volunteers 3 days a week at the local Salvation Army and another friend of mine is a paid worker there. They do amazing work to care for the less advantaged but there are still some who choose to remain homeless.

OK I live in a more affluent area, but there are something like 6 homeless in the borough council district - and all have been offered housing which they turn down - so the Salvation Army just have to do their best for them, providing a place they can get a shower, wash their clothes and get a hot meal.

There are also the faux-homeless - there is one couple who camp out on the high street and the pile of blankets and sleeping bags are there 24/7. However the "occupants" mysteriously vanish every evening. Word has it that they make more from "begging" than they could get from benefits and getting a job (they are both able bodied). They are also suspected drug dealers so no wonder they refuse help - even to the point of refusing offers of food from passers-by, preferring cold hard cash instead

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 15:19

Davie wrote:
dynamark wrote:Ben theres plenty of help out there for the'homeless'.Weve taken folk out of bus shelters and put them in a flat and they cannot cope with locking doors and electric bills regardless of the support workers =clearing out a few weeks later.People dying homeless( including in shelters,temporary etc) figures today big number 600 not that many really for a year-drugs.liverfailure-suicide.We give help but we cannot help all of the people all of the time.Funny how these things hit the press at Xmas.

This is spot on! Despite the number 600 obviously being 600 too many, dyna is right that there are plenty of "homeless" people who choose to live that way.

My partner volunteers 3 days a week at the local Salvation Army and another friend of mine is a paid worker there. They do amazing work to care for the less advantaged but there are still some who choose to remain homeless.

OK I live in a more affluent area, but there are something like 6 homeless in the borough council district - and all have been offered housing which they turn down - so the Salvation Army just have to do their best for them, providing a place they can get a shower, wash their clothes and get a hot meal.

There are also the faux-homeless - there is one couple who camp out on the high street and the pile of blankets and sleeping bags are there 24/7. However the "occupants" mysteriously vanish every evening. Word has it that they make more from "begging" than they could get from benefits and getting a job (they are both able bodied).  They are also suspected drug dealers so no wonder they refuse help - even to the point of refusing offers of food from passers-by, preferring cold hard cash instead

It really isn’t spot on. It’s just addressing a small part of a problem with a generalisation. There are an increasing number of vulnerable young kids ending up on the streets, we know this, all on the back of increasing social problems that are not being addressed by this govt. You can’t just look at the homeless problem by looking at what you see on the streets. You need to look on the hostels, the family centres where people are sharing one room, this is all part of the problem. And yes there are issues with drugs, because funding has been cut to actually solve that social problem. And it’s not policed because...well, you get the picture.
Just to make the point again, this disgusting govt, who are utterly wrapped up with austerity, have admitted much more has to be done to address the homeless problem.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 16:32

Big game tomorrow Digs.
Seems like your guys are hitting their stride whereas we've had a couple of mis-steps recently. May the best team . . . . and all that.
Hope we both go up thumbsup Ale

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 16:43

Cheers Kwini, I could certainly live with us both heading up. Yeah, managing to keep 11 players on the pitch is helping us. I’d probably pick a draw right now if I had to bet my life on it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 17:03

Diggers - I'm not generalising. I'm basing my opinion on someone who actually works with the homeless

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 17:14

That’s still anecdotal, and as you say area dependent. I’m about to go out in Brighton on a freezing night, the door steps will be rammed and the hostels full. 80000 families are in temporary accommodation. This has grown every month the story’s have been in office. Local authorities are reporting massive homeless increases.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 17:48

I manage a homelessness team for the council. Rough sleeping is a very mimor section of homelessness, people and families in b&b and temporary accommodation make up a large number, a lot of these will include children and vulnerable adults. There are plenty of entrenched rough sleepers, who just take ut as it is, but also a lot are on the streets because the councils cant help. Under 35s have limits om housing benefit or universal credit. People over 35 will not all ve a priority, and its very hard to get affordable rented accommodation, or landlords willing to take on people with drink, drug or mental health problems. Homelessness is a massive problem, austerity is a driving factor as rents have increased faster then benefits.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 21 Dec 2018 - 22:26

You are a very decent human being Ben.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 22 Dec 2018 - 11:46

beninho wrote:I manage a homelessness team for the council. Rough sleeping is a very minor section of homelessness, people and families in b&b and temporary accommodation make up a large number,

I wonder if Jose can move out of the hotel he has been living in for the past 2.5 years now and fight his way out of homelessness.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 22 Dec 2018 - 18:14

Well done, Kwini. Sounds like you turned it on in the second half?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 22 Dec 2018 - 18:47

Cometh the hour, cometh the sending off/penalty Digs, and from one of your most experienced players; three good points for us though, but now we've got to kick on.
You win on Boxing Day and we trip up at Gillingham and it's all square. You never know! Good luck.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 22 Dec 2018 - 19:22

Diggers wrote:That’s still anecdotal, and as you say area dependent. I’m about to go out in Brighton on a freezing night, the door steps will be rammed and the hostels full. 80000 families are in temporary accommodation. This has grown every month the story’s have been in office. Local authorities are reporting massive homeless increases.

Are there even 80,000 families in Brighton to be homeless?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sat 22 Dec 2018 - 20:58

600 deaths a year is under 12 a week n the entire UK? We all go at some point it just a question of when and how.Lots of stories about saving lives when the truth is we just extend them a bit.
There is plenty of help out there and some genuine cases but so called vulnerablilty because cannot stop drinking or taking drugs or not willing to make any effort will never cut it for me.Plenty of houses being left unoccupied for various reasons but you can understand landlords reluctance when you see the way some(only some)treat other peoples property. I went to 4 pro erties in Greenwich and Woolwich on Friday and they were all occupied by a Ms with child and they were all filthy dirty.No excuse.
Ben may be the best placed on this subject with others blaming the government rather than looking at the individuals.For some reason a lot of seaside towns have attracted the 'poor and needy'I'm thinking Blackpool,Ramsgate.Brighton,Rhyl .The seafront in Brighton had a very nice 4/5 star hotel(not the Grand Digs further east I think) and its now a hostel/B and B .

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sat 22 Dec 2018 - 21:33

Digs just remembered it was the Ship hotel or the Old Ship -is that still there ?
I went there in 1973 with a girlfriend and her family I drove her dads brand new Ford Capril and they put me on the ground floor and her on the third .Minor problem ! Saluki bronze with the vinyl roof (that's the car not her).

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 22 Dec 2018 - 22:42

dyna

How do you type your posts, they are barely readable.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 8:21

McLaren wrote:dyna

How do you type your posts, they are barely readable.

Pot, kettle, black from the man who can't spell to save his life. MSc my arse.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 9:01

dynamark wrote:Digs just remembered it was the Ship hotel or the Old Ship -is that still there ?
I went there in 1973 with a girlfriend and her family I  drove her dads brand new Ford Capril and they put me on the ground floor and her on the third .Minor problem ! Saluki bronze with the vinyl roof (that's the car not her).

Still there, so many pubs and restaurants now, very buzzing. I’m just about 6 miles west in a place called Shoreham-by-Sea, I prefer the slower pace.
Got to love a Capri, handled like a pig but looked great.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 9:29

Diggers wrote:Got to love a Capri, handled like a pig but looked great.
My second car - 1.6 LS

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 10:41

I'm never wrong wrote:
Diggers wrote:Got to love a Capri, handled like a pig but looked great.
My second car - 1.6 LS

Quite surprised that Ford have never reprised the Capri, I know there was talk of it, and they had a few "quasi" sports cars as Mac would call them, but they surely missed a trick with not ever releasing a modern Capri.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 12:32

Just seen that 7 years ago Sunderland were 6th in the PL after 24 games! Bet I was moaning about us then. Hey ho!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 13:26

Diggers, How many go to Sunderland games these days? Is it still quite fanatical? I always thought it was very contrived to name the stadium after Benfica's, real lack of imagination and rather presumptuous they'd be seen in the same "light" as that club.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 13:34

Yes, still fanatical, there is a program called Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix at the moment, about last season, very well made apparently, haven’t started watching it yet.
It wasn’t named atfer Benfica’s stadium. The port area which it’s built on was always lit up at night as the boats docked 24/7 back in the day, that’s where the name came from. If you want unoriginal, name it after your sponsor, that’s unoriginal.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 13:38

What do they make of Jack Ross? He did very well up here with a pretty terrible team and budget. Judging by the table he looks like he's doing ok, though do you think that's down to a Championship squad in League 1 or is he doing the business?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 13:51

Considering the last 2 seasons he’s doing great. Club had become toxic, so new owners brought more of a feel good factor, felt we had a fresh start. He plays a lot of kids so not too many genuinely championship players involved regularly. Off to watch them at the Valley on the 5th, always a bit of a different perspective watching a live match.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 17:07

Tweet from Sporf about Sunderland away support

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 18:16

Not much else to do in Sunderland, it’s a bit slummy!!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 22:28

South east news reports that possibly there were no drones...just reported sightings. Couple that with the Brexit fiasco and I have to come to the conclusion that I live in the world’s stupidest country. #effingembarrassing

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Dec 2018 - 23:02

There seemed to be photographic evidence though Diggers. Certainly there were pictures in the paper.

This country might be stupid, but it's still a long way behind America when it comes to being stupid.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next