Name your nations side at full strength

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Name your nations side at full strength

Post by king_carlos on Wed 26 Dec 2018, 8:12 am

First topic message reminder :

In the modern game this is sadly a futile exercise given how high injury rates now are. It's also Boxing Day, I'm still full from yesterday and fancy having a rugby discussion that requires the same level of strenuous thought as watching a Richard Curtis romcom.

1.Mako Vunipola
2.Jamie George
3.Kyle Sinckler
4.Joe Launchbury
5.Courtney Lawes
6.Sam Underhill
7.Tom Curry
8.Billy Vunipola

9.Ben Youngs
10.Owen Farrell

11.Jonny May
12.Henry Slade
13.Jonathan Joseph
14.Elliot Daly
15.Anthony Watson

16.Dylan Hartley
17.Ellis Genge
18.Dan Cole
19.Maro Itoje
20.Mark Wilson
21.Dan Robson
22.George Ford
23.Manu Tuilagi

In terms of weaknesses:

Tighthead is a conundrum. Dan Cole is too slow for the modern international game, but he can consistently scrummage which is more than can be said more the alternatives.

Inside centre is still the long standing issue it has been since Greenwood retired. I think Slade has shown enough (albeit in a drought) to stay in the centres, then JJ is in my opinion our best centre when fit.

Contentious choices I expect to be questioned:

Cokanasiga being left out. I think he's a talent but quite simply think that May, Watson and Daly are even more talented.

Underhill and Tom Curry together in the back row. Two of this England sides weaknesses have been the breakdown and being too passive in fringe defence. Underhilll and Curry are England's best flankers in the tackle and at the breakdown.

Happy holidays to all Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 3602195817

king_carlos

Posts : 4300
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down


Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by king_carlos on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 9:52 am

king_carlos wrote:Any Scotland fans fancy weighing in with a full strength side?

1.Dell
2.McInally
3.Nel
4.J Gray
5.R Gray
6.Barclay
7.Watson
8.Wilson

9.Laidlaw
10.Russell

11.Seymour
12.Dunbar
13.Jones
14.Kinghorn
15.Hogg

16.Brown
17.Allan
18.Berghan
19.Gilchrist
20.Bradbury
21.Horne
22.Hastings
23.Maitland

That's pretty tasty playing the style of rugby that Townsend coaches.

Could Bennett or Zander Fagerson force their way back in after injury?

Dunbar being out of favour with Rennie could create an opening in the centres?

Could Jamie Ritchie hold down a spot in a competitive back row?

Glad to see this attempt to get things back on track went well Tumbleweed

king_carlos

Posts : 4300
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by maestegmafia on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 10:12 am

king_carlos wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Any Scotland fans fancy weighing in with a full strength side?

1.Dell
2.McInally
3.Nel
4.J Gray
5.R Gray
6.Barclay
7.Watson
8.Wilson

9.Laidlaw
10.Russell

11.Seymour
12.Dunbar
13.Jones
14.Kinghorn
15.Hogg

16.Brown
17.Allan
18.Berghan
19.Gilchrist
20.Bradbury
21.Horne
22.Hastings
23.Maitland

That's pretty tasty playing the style of rugby that Townsend coaches.

Could Bennett or Zander Fagerson force their way back in after injury?

Dunbar being out of favour with Rennie could create an opening in the centres?

Could Jamie Ritchie hold down a spot in a competitive back row?

Glad to see this attempt to get things back on track went well Tumbleweed

I think we are all used to the same idiot trying to turn any rugby chat into a xenophobic rant.

Good looking team KC mate, Scotland are putting a very decent squad together ready for the RWC, I expect to see some solid performances this year, I am certainly not so casual about Wales’ chances att Murrayfield this season.

With regards the welsh team this season there are a number of tough calls. I would say at the moment the strongest fifteen is easily hotly debated, as you can read on other threads.

If we look at the Welsh xv over the last ten or twenty games then I would say that the first choice is as follows, though there are plenty of form players who have stepped ahead of those selected below and there are many very tight calls on selection, some players are out of selection because of the clubs they play for clashing with WRU rules on elidgability.

Rob Evans
Ken Owens
Samson Lee
AWJ
Jake Ball
Lydiate
Tipuric
Faletau
Webb
Biggar
Liam Williams
Scott Williams
Jon Davies
George North
Leigh Halfpenny

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22707
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by yappysnap on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 9:41 pm

As far as I can tell guys like Curry, Slade and Watson have not done enough to justify being first choice in their positions. All are good prospects i'm sure but none have grabbed the shirt, so can't really be picked as starters in a full strength England side.

On form and at full strength i'd take:
Vunipola
Hartley
Synkler
Lawes
Itoje
Robshaw
Underhill
Vunipola
Youngs
Ford
May
Farrell
Joseph
Daly
Brown

yappysnap

Posts : 11612
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 31
Location : Christchurch, NZ

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by robbo277 on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 11:59 pm

yappysnap wrote:As far as I can tell guys like Curry, Slade and Watson have not done enough to justify being first choice in their positions. All are good prospects i'm sure but none have grabbed the shirt, so can't really be picked as starters in a full strength England side.

On form and at full strength i'd take:
Vunipola
Hartley
Synkler
Lawes
Itoje
Robshaw
Underhill
Vunipola
Youngs
Ford
May
Farrell
Joseph
Daly
Brown

Watson was definitely the first choice winger before being shifted to 15 and subsequently injured. I'd say he walks back into the team when fit, either at 15 or 14, with Brown (most likely) missing out, or possibly Daly switching into the centres.

I'd agree on Curry and Slade. Underhill is our 7 and as I posted on another thread, I'd have a proper 6 in there with him, rather than shifting him to 6 with Curry at 7. Slade is a decent option for a squad or a bench, but if Joseph and Manu were both fully fit he wouldn't have a look in for the 13 shirt.

Vunipola, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Lawes, Wilson, Underhill, Vunipola, Youngs, Ford, May, Farrell, Tuilagi, Watson, Daly
Hartley, Genge, Williams, Launchbury, Simmonds, Care, Te'o, Ashton

I've tried to be bold and only pick a 23. Curry, Slade and Brown would be pushing hard for bench spots though, and on another day I may go with any of them.

robbo277

Posts : 4917
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 31
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Cumbrian on Thu 03 Jan 2019, 9:26 am

I agree regarding having Frodo and Curry in the same back-row, it sounds good from a groundhog point of view but lacks certain other balances.  For instance, if you have Billy V in there, you have a lack of tall lineout jumpers.  As pointed out, you are looking for that mythical balance that the holy trinity had.

06. Mark Wilson
07. Sam Underhill
08. Billy Vunipola

Mark offers work rate and clearing up of loose ball.   He allows Underhill to hunt and smash.  However, is he quick enough anymore?  Who links the play?  It has a whiff of impermanence about it?  I always get the feeling that Wilson is going to get swapped out at the first opportunity (dunno why, the optimism of Newcastle fan?).  


01. Ellis Genge (Mako could work too, but Genge is carved out of granite, he and Sinkler would certainly set a tone)
02. Dylan Hartley
03. Kyle Sinkler
04. Joe Launchbury
05. Maro Itoje
06. Mark Wilson
07. Sam Underhill
08. Billy Vunipola

09. Ben Youngs (flip a coin, the two options have had no competition)
10. George Ford (I think people have forgotten what a good player he is...)

11. Jonny May
12. Owen Farrell
13. Elliott Daly (He is a fantastic player in his proper position)
14. Joe Cokanasiga (he offers a counter point the smaller quicker players)
15. Anthony Watson
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Posts : 4198
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 36
Location : Bath

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by geoff999rugby on Thu 03 Jan 2019, 10:59 am

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Furlong
4 Ryan
5 Henderson
6 O'Mahoney
7 Leavy
8 Stander
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 Stockdale
12 Aki
13 Ringrose
14 Earls
15 Kearney

Bench
16 Cronin
17 McGrath
18 Porter
19 Toner
20 O'Brien
21 Marmion
22 Carbery
23 Henshaw

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Collapse2005 on Thu 03 Jan 2019, 11:06 am

Good side. Id swap Toner for Henderson though. Toner is the player that Schmidt has selected the most for Ireland so Id say if all players are fit he would get picked ahead of Henderson.

Aki and Henderson are horses for courses.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4783
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by maestegmafia on Thu 03 Jan 2019, 11:27 am

A few tough calls with Ireland ere is amazing competition throughout the squad and below it, four strong provinces and a good youth set up too.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22707
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by geoff999rugby on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 9:35 am

Collapse2005 wrote:Good side. Id swap Toner for Henderson though. Toner is the player that Schmidt has selected the most for Ireland so Id say if all players are fit he would get picked ahead of Henderson.

Aki and Henderson are horses for courses.

Henderson was playing out of his skin before the injury.
For me Toner is there if the lineout needs shoring up.
With POM that gives you the third jumper.
Henderson is better in the rough and tumble of the breakdown, he went on the Lions and Toner didn't for a reason.

Aki and Henderson may well, as you say, be horses for courses.
Japan is their course in my book

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Collapse2005 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 9:48 am

I think Henderson was selected for the Lions as he can cover backrow and is why he would probably always be in the Ireland squad when fit.

However, our lineout tends to struggle when he calls it. Don't get me wrong I think he is a super player for the reasons you point out but I think Toner will more often than not get picked ahead of him as he is more of an all rounder and his lineout work is exceptional.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4783
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by robbo277 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 10:22 am

Cumbrian wrote:I agree regarding having Frodo and Curry in the same back-row, it sounds good from a groundhog point of view but lacks certain other balances.  For instance, if you have Billy V in there, you have a lack of tall lineout jumpers.  As pointed out, you are looking for that mythical balance that the holy trinity had.

06. Mark Wilson
07. Sam Underhill
08. Billy Vunipola

Mark offers work rate and clearing up of loose ball.   He allows Underhill to hunt and smash.  However, is he quick enough anymore?  Who links the play?  It has a whiff of impermanence about it?  I always get the feeling that Wilson is going to get swapped out at the first opportunity (dunno why, the optimism of Newcastle fan?).  


01. Ellis Genge (Mako could work too, but Genge is carved out of granite, he and Sinkler would certainly set a tone)
02. Dylan Hartley
03. Kyle Sinkler
04. Joe Launchbury
05. Maro Itoje
06. Mark Wilson
07. Sam Underhill
08. Billy Vunipola

09. Ben Youngs (flip a coin, the two options have had no competition)
10. George Ford (I think people have forgotten what a good player he is...)

11. Jonny May
12. Owen Farrell
13. Elliott Daly (He is a fantastic player in his proper position)
14. Joe Cokanasiga (he offers a counter point the smaller quicker players)
15. Anthony Watson

Although I think your backline could work, I'm not sure we'll see it under Eddie. I think we'll see Manu in the 13 shirt again this spring, if not for the Ireland game, definitely by the end of the tournament.

robbo277

Posts : 4917
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 31
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by bsando on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 10:35 am

king_carlos wrote:Any Scotland fans fancy weighing in with a full strength side?

1.Dell
2.McInally
3.Nel
4.J Gray
5.R Gray
6.Barclay
7.Watson
8.Wilson

9.Laidlaw
10.Russell

11.Seymour
12.Dunbar
13.Jones
14.Kinghorn
15.Hogg

16.Brown
17.Allan
18.Berghan
19.Gilchrist
20.Bradbury
21.Horne
22.Hastings
23.Maitland

That's pretty tasty playing the style of rugby that Townsend coaches.

Could Bennett or Zander Fagerson force their way back in after injury?

Dunbar being out of favour with Rennie could create an opening in the centres?

Could Jamie Ritchie hold down a spot in a competitive back row?

I would probably swap Maitland out for either Kinghorn or Seymour, he has been on very good form this year (probably his best year for Scotland and Saracens actually) and is defensively superior to both Seymour and Kinghorn IMO. I'd also swap Dunbar for Taylor who has just had a hellish time with injuries but when fit is a class above the rest. Gonna be some stiff competition for places leading up to the RWC!

1.Dell
2.McInally
3.Nel
4.R Gray
5.J Gray
6.Barclay
7.Watson
8.Wilson
9.Laidlaw
10.Russell
11.Maitland
12.Taylor
13.Jones
14.Seymour
15.Hogg

16.Brown
17.Allan
18.Berghan
19.Gilchrist
20.Denton
21.Horne
22.Hastings
23.Kinghorn

bsando

Posts : 2414
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by rodders on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 11:00 am

geoff999rugby wrote:1 Healy
2 Best
3 Furlong
4 Ryan
5 Henderson
6 O'Mahoney
7 Leavy
8 Stander
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 Stockdale
12 Aki
13 Ringrose
14 Earls
15 Kearney

Bench
16 Cronin
17 McGrath
18 Porter
19 Toner
20 O'Brien
21 Marmion
22 Carbery
23 Henshaw

As per collapse comments, I think for Ireland there is no set 1st XV, probably a 1st 11 and then some rotation.

However if everyone is 100% fit I think Schmidt starts with the following, with probably the only debate being the backrow and outside back cover on the bench :-

1 Healy
2 Best
3 Furlong
4 Ryan
5 Toner
6 O'Mahoney
7 O'Brien
8 Stander
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 Stockdale
12 Henshaw
13 Ringrose
14 Earls
15 Kearney

Bench
16 Cronin
17 McGrath
18 Porter
19 Henderson
20 VDF/Leavy
21 Marmion
22 Carbery
23 Larmour/Aki/Conway/Addison
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25315
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Collapse2005 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 11:27 am

That the 1st team as I see it too with plenty of opportunity for injury cover etc. If that's the team we put out v SA in the quarters if that's the scenario that presents itself then I believe we will advance to the semis convincingly.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4783
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Cyril on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 12:14 pm

I’d expect another quarter-final exit for Ireland. They just don’t seem to have the right mindset or mental courage for the business end of the World Cup. SA could put a serious dent in them that would make the thrashing by Argentina look like a picnic. Having said that they could easily lose to Scotland which would mean NZ would relish taking them apart again.

Cyril

Posts : 6824
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 12:29 pm

Trying to decide if this is an attempt at humour.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 19136
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Collapse2005 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 1:30 pm

Bless him he tries so hard.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4783
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by rodders on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 1:40 pm

Don't believe a word of it, he has 50 quid on an Ireland 6N/RWC double.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25315
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Collapse2005 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 1:41 pm

I wouldn't doubt it. He is definitely a closet Ireland fan.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4783
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 2:46 pm

Wonder how different these sides wpuld be named by opposition fans. Ireland look pretty well set. Probably 6 and 7 would be where there's some difference. For me.im a huge fan of POM and I don't think I could leave Leavy out but that means no SOB which feels very wrong.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 19136
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Collapse2005 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 2:56 pm

At the moment Leavy is the best 7 in Ireland IMO but if SOB gets a run injury free and is back to his best he is potentially better than Leavy.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4783
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by robbo277 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 2:57 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Wonder how different these sides wpuld be named by opposition fans. Ireland look pretty well set. Probably 6 and 7 would be where there's some difference. For me.im a huge fan of POM and I don't think I could leave Leavy out but that means no SOB which feels very wrong.

I'll qualify by saying I don't watch any Pro14, but commenting on some of the teams posted

Ireland: I'd go with Rodders team but personally have Henderson over Toner.
Scotland: bsando's team is pretty much what I'd go for. I'd potentially start Fraser Brown over McInaly as probably my one change.
Wales: can only see maestag's team on this page, and it is pretty close to what I'd go with as well. I prefer Moriarty to Lydiate though, and is Webb eligible for selection?

So not a huge amount of change in any of the teams.

robbo277

Posts : 4917
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 31
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 3:00 pm

Depends of what side of bed garland gets out as to who qualifies whole playing in other leagues! Webb currently doesn't. I'm much more a Shingler fan for 6.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 19136
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by munkian on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 3:45 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Depends of what side of bed garland gets out as to who qualifies whole playing in other leagues! Webb currently doesn't.  I'm much more a Shingler fan for 6.

It's nothing to to do with Gatland, its the Union's ruling.

munkian
munkian

Posts : 8456
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 38
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by rodders on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 3:53 pm

robbo277 wrote:
Ireland: I'd go with Rodders team but personally have Henderson over Toner.

I would too but can understand why Schmidt is a fan of Toner with his line out ability and he's good around the park.

I also think Henderson is a bit more imposing coming off the bench than Toner.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25315
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Taylorman on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 3:56 pm

Cyril wrote:Where have I said I don’t like the Irish? Seems strange that I get accused of that when an Irish poster talks about ‘English b@stards’. Of course, that was just a joke though, just like all the other similar songs you hear that we’re told don’t get sung any longer.

Its cos you aint hailing the Irish in all their wonderful new glory cyril. Agree with the lack of a sense of humour though, guns particularly seems completely devoid of it.

At the moment he seems obsessessed with writing up articles about kiwis that have lost their way a bit. Regan king? Never heard of him. Looks like we sold him off in time though, gotta do your homework when you buy off the shelf you know. Bit of a lottery trading with humans, but I guess, like Schmidt, he learned that stuff over there. Wasnt doing it here. Laugh

Taylorman

Posts : 12095
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Collapse2005 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 4:41 pm

You two suit eachother well. I think the Ireland side will do just fine without the approval of two internet wierdos.

How about you try to name NZ best 15? Not sure Hansen knows what it is so good luck with that one.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4783
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by No 7&1/2 on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 5:58 pm

Quite right munkian. Just a jokey comment. Much the same as Jones I'm sure they'd prefer no restrictions.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 19136
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Taylorman on Fri 04 Jan 2019, 9:06 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:You two suit eachother well. I think the Ireland side will do just fine without the approval of two internet wierdos.

How about you try to name NZ best 15? Not sure Hansen knows what it is so good luck with that one.

Because I dont know who the best 15 is at the moment. Ill wait till we need to know that. We have about 25 players that could make the 15, probably 30 for injuries. Super rugby will confirm a few but for now too many positions are up in the air and one needs to select this far out based on Barrett being at 10. If hes not, a few things change.

Being a world cup year means its bigger than other years. Super rugby quality of our sides will be higher as players push for two things...world cup selection, overseas pro contracts. At the end of the year both ABs and those that miss out on the ABs will be looked at for northern contracts.

But based on a BB 10 start my only certainties are,  with the rest bracketed:

15- Smith/ DMac
14- Naholo/ Bridge/B Smith/
13- Goodhue/ Crotty/ A LBrown
12- SBW/ Nonu/ Laumape/ Crotty
11- Ioane
10- Barrett
9- Aaron Smith
8- Read
7- Cane/ Savea
6- Several including Cane
5- Whitelock
4- Retallick
3- Franks/ C laulala
2- Taylor/ Coles
1- Moody/ Karl T

For me its not so much about the individuals selected, but how the combinations work together...midfield, back three, loosies etc. and how they fit into the overall plan.

Under critique will be how Barrett, Mo’unga, DMac and Ben Smith are played. Very contrasting styles at 10 and for me Ben Smith, the best fullback for several years now, needs to return there for the knockout matches. Those are about the handling of pressure, less about allowing for the experimentation of others as has been the case. Smiths a big pressure player, probably the best around because he very rarely doesnt have a great match.

How we manage the subs is also critical. Where do Mo’unga and DMac fit in.

By now Hansen knows he needs to play horses for courses. For Oz he’ll want high octane players because they play a looser defence. For Ireland he’ll need as similar to Dublin two years ago as he can get. Beat them up, go through the middle rather than around, especially as theyll likely meet after Ireland will have been tested in their first knockout win/s.

Thats the main difference I see next year, the ABs moving to a more catered approach. He’ll still have to do the limiting stuff in pool play to put sufficient pressure on his players vs the D graders but he knows from France 2015 how to come out of pool play firing, the French test one of the finest executions in a world cup match ever.

Taylorman

Posts : 12095
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by maestegmafia on Sat 05 Jan 2019, 10:03 am

Taylorman wrote:
15- Smith/ DMac
14- Naholo/ Bridge/B Smith/
13- Goodhue/ Crotty/ A LBrown
12- SBW/ Nonu/ Laumape/ Crotty
11- Ioane
10- Barrett
9- Aaron Smith
8- Read
7- Cane/ Savea
6- Several including Cane
5- Whitelock
4- Retallick
3- Franks/ C laulala
2- Taylor/ Coles
1- Moody/ Karl T

Surprised to see you added Nonu in the centres? I heard he was back at Auckland Blues this Season.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22707
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Collapse2005 on Sat 05 Jan 2019, 10:25 am

NZ had to get Ardea Savea back from France and Nonu now too. Signs that they are creaking a bit at the seams. Mind you Goodhue I thought had a decent year.

Collapse2005

Posts : 4783
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Taylorman on Sat 05 Jan 2019, 1:47 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
15- Smith/ DMac
14- Naholo/ Bridge/B Smith/
13- Goodhue/ Crotty/ A LBrown
12- SBW/ Nonu/ Laumape/ Crotty
11- Ioane
10- Barrett
9- Aaron Smith
8- Read
7- Cane/ Savea
6- Several including Cane
5- Whitelock
4- Retallick
3- Franks/ C laulala
2- Taylor/ Coles
1- Moody/ Karl T

Surprised to see you added Nonu in the centres? I heard he was back at Auckland Blues this Season.

Yes for me had his best ever year in 2015 and left too soon. Is no doubt back for another crack at the trophy. Is just there as a possible as our midfield has chopped and changed a bit.

In terms of others that might be there would be Piutau, Cruden, Luatua but theyre overseas.

I think George Bridge will be the bolter.

Taylorman

Posts : 12095
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by maestegmafia on Sat 05 Jan 2019, 2:14 pm

Taylorman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
15- Smith/ DMac
14- Naholo/ Bridge/B Smith/
13- Goodhue/ Crotty/ A LBrown
12- SBW/ Nonu/ Laumape/ Crotty
11- Ioane
10- Barrett
9- Aaron Smith
8- Read
7- Cane/ Savea
6- Several including Cane
5- Whitelock
4- Retallick
3- Franks/ C laulala
2- Taylor/ Coles
1- Moody/ Karl T

Surprised to see you added Nonu in the centres? I heard he was back at Auckland Blues this Season.

Yes for me had his best ever year in 2015 and left too soon. Is no doubt back for another crack at the trophy. Is just there as a possible as our midfield has chopped and changed a bit.

In terms of others that might be there would be Piutau, Cruden, Luatua but theyre overseas.

I think George Bridge will be the bolter.

Messam and Kaino. It’s playing well in the top 14 too.

The system bringing through high quality rugby players through school boy to club to All Blacks is so good that I doubt everyone else will notice how affected The ABs are by losing players to the leagues around the world.


maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22707
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Taylorman on Sat 05 Jan 2019, 8:15 pm

Yes I was going to put the two up but Messam wouldnt make the squad now, just not as dynamic as he was and even then could never match Kaino. Kainos retired in my mind, a well earned rest from AB rugby.

Taylorman

Posts : 12095
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by maestegmafia on Sun 06 Jan 2019, 4:37 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yes I was going to put the two up but Messam wouldnt make the squad now, just not as dynamic as he was and even then could never match Kaino. Kainos retired in my mind, a well earned rest from AB rugby.

I don’t doubt that this years super rugby or rugby championship will find adequate replacements

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22707
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Taylorman on Sun 06 Jan 2019, 7:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Yes I was going to put the two up but Messam wouldnt make the squad now, just not as dynamic as he was and even then could never match Kaino. Kainos retired in my mind, a well earned rest from AB rugby.

I don’t doubt that this years super rugby or rugby championship will find adequate replacements

Oh theres about four 6’s already. I think Cane will be one but has to play there on return in all matches. Barrett could, Fifita, Frizzell, Hemopo are all 6/flank and theres Squire. Cant see anyone else pushing into that group other than perhaps Taufua whos a little wiser than the 4.

All about who puts their hand up higher.

Taylorman

Posts : 12095
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by maestegmafia on Sun 06 Jan 2019, 9:23 pm

Taylorman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Yes I was going to put the two up but Messam wouldnt make the squad now, just not as dynamic as he was and even then could never match Kaino. Kainos retired in my mind, a well earned rest from AB rugby.

I don’t doubt that this years super rugby or rugby championship will find adequate replacements

Oh theres about four 6’s already. I think Cane will be one but has to play there on return in all matches. Barrett  could, Fifita, Frizzell, Hemopo are all 6/flank and theres Squire. Cant see anyone else pushing into that group other than perhaps Taufua whos a little wiser than the 4.

All about who puts their hand up higher.

What’s the depth at scrum half beyond Smith and Perenara?

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22707
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Taylorman on Sun 06 Jan 2019, 9:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Yes I was going to put the two up but Messam wouldnt make the squad now, just not as dynamic as he was and even then could never match Kaino. Kainos retired in my mind, a well earned rest from AB rugby.

I don’t doubt that this years super rugby or rugby championship will find adequate replacements

Oh theres about four 6’s already. I think Cane will be one but has to play there on return in all matches. Barrett  could, Fifita, Frizzell, Hemopo are all 6/flank and theres Squire. Cant see anyone else pushing into that group other than perhaps Taufua whos a little wiser than the 4.

All about who puts their hand up higher.

What’s the depth at scrum half beyond Smith and Perenara?

With Kerr Barlow off to the north Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi is firm number 3 with one of Crusaders Bryn Hall, Mitch Drummond or Brad Weber perhaps to back up. Like any side lose your best one or two and youre looking at players that have hardly played tests, but overall I think we are stronger there than anyone with the top two, both would have more than enough skill and experience for a Wcup final. Doubtful any other country would match the two in that respect.

Back up for Read is a bit more concerning and Savea has gone strongly there at least once but no specialist stands out with Vito also north. Losing read would be a major.

Taylorman

Posts : 12095
Join date : 2011-02-02
Location : Wellington NZ

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by RDW on Mon 07 Jan 2019, 1:24 pm

bsando wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Any Scotland fans fancy weighing in with a full strength side?

1.Dell
2.McInally
3.Nel
4.J Gray
5.R Gray
6.Barclay
7.Watson
8.Wilson

9.Laidlaw
10.Russell

11.Seymour
12.Dunbar
13.Jones
14.Kinghorn
15.Hogg

16.Brown
17.Allan
18.Berghan
19.Gilchrist
20.Bradbury
21.Horne
22.Hastings
23.Maitland

That's pretty tasty playing the style of rugby that Townsend coaches.

Could Bennett or Zander Fagerson force their way back in after injury?

Dunbar being out of favour with Rennie could create an opening in the centres?

Could Jamie Ritchie hold down a spot in a competitive back row?

I would probably swap Maitland out for either Kinghorn or Seymour, he has been on very good form this year (probably his best year for Scotland and Saracens actually) and is defensively superior to both Seymour and Kinghorn IMO. I'd also swap Dunbar for Taylor who has just had a hellish time with injuries but when fit is a class above the rest. Gonna be some stiff competition for places leading up to the RWC!

1.Dell
2.McInally
3.Nel
4.R Gray
5.J Gray
6.Barclay
7.Watson
8.Wilson
9.Laidlaw
10.Russell
11.Maitland
12.Taylor
13.Jones
14.Seymour
15.Hogg

16.Brown
17.Allan
18.Berghan
19.Gilchrist
20.Denton
21.Horne
22.Hastings
23.Kinghorn

R Gray has played once under Townsend so I think Gilchrist should be in there ahead of him - he's on great form just now.

If Wilson is our best 8 we're in trouble - Bradbury a much better option IMO and would have been playing a key role for Scotland if he hadn't injured himself. Potentially the same could be said of Blade Thomson but he's yet to be capped.

I'd also have Jamie Ritchie on the bench over Denton.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 27943
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 32
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Name your nations side at full strength - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your nations side at full strength

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum