The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth"

+16
dynamark
Seve76
Be_the_ball
LadyPutt
hogie
JAS
Roller_Coaster
raycastleunited
super_realist
pedro
Shotrock
Diggers
beninho
navyblueshorts
kwinigolfer
McLaren
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth" Empty "The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth"

Post by McLaren Wed 02 Jan 2019, 5:39 pm

"The ultimate goal is here [the US]. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the way it is," 
(Rory Mcilroy)

Rory McIlroy has described the European Tour as "a stepping stone" and has reiterated his intention to concentrate on the PGA Tour in 2019.
The four-time major winner is competing at the Sentry Tournament of Champions in Hawaii this week as part of his increased focus on US tournaments.

The 29-year-old wants to reduce his European Tour commitments in an effort to add to his major titles.

"My life's here. I have an American wife. I live in America," said McIlroy.
"Honestly, I enjoy it here more. The way of life is easier. The weather. The convenience," he added.

The Northern Irishman has so far only committed to playing two events on his home tour this season, and needs to play a minimum of four tournaments outside of the majors and the World Golf Championships to retain his European Tour membership.

"The ultimate goal is here [the US]. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the way it is," he said.

"It's tough. I still want to support the European Tour, and I talk about this loyalty thing with Europe. [But] it's not as though I'm just starting out and jumping ship.

"I've done my time. I've done everything I feel like I need to do to say OK, I'm going to make my own decisions and do what I want."

A long-time supporter of the European Tour, McIlroy could still add a further two European tournaments to his 2019 schedule but admits the PGA Tour offers much greater incentives for the world's top players: "It's so one-sided. You can talk all you want about these bigger events in Europe, but you can go to America and play for more money and more ranking points.

"I think as well with the world ranking points, everyone out here, all of their contracts with sponsors, it's all about world ranking points. If players are getting paid more and earning more world ranking points, why would you play over there?"

McIlroy is paired with Xander Schauffele for the opening round of the Tournament of Champions event at the Kapalua Resort.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/46736873

Rory announces the end of the European Tour as a credible entity.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

"The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth" Empty Re: "The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth"

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 02 Jan 2019, 5:47 pm

I thought Pelley had already put the nail in the coffin?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

"The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth" Empty Re: "The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth"

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 02 Jan 2019, 6:32 pm

McLaren wrote:...Rory announces the end of the European Tour as a credible entity.
No he doesn't. He can sod off. In fact, why not apply for American citizenship? He's up Trump's rear end, so should fit right in just now. What he's actually done is alienate many, many more European golfing fans. The man's an arse and the older he gets, the worse he gets.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 02 Jan 2019, 7:13 pm

Bit the Euro tour, is pretty much the championship compared to the pga tour premier league. It Is a stepping stone for most big names. Whats the fuss?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 02 Jan 2019, 7:30 pm

Has the European Tour given more to Rory than he has to it? I doubt it personally, never really understood why players should have any real need to support what is essentially a business. It’s up to the guys that run it to make it an attractive proposition, if they can’t manage that then surely it’s down to them.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 02 Jan 2019, 8:33 pm

Well stated Diggers. I agree with that 100%.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 02 Jan 2019, 8:43 pm

Diggers and ben are probably spot on.

If the ET can't put up the money to attract enough OWGR points I guess it isn't Rory's problem to help them out.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 02 Jan 2019, 8:48 pm

Although does anyone else think it is a bit odd that Rory felt the need to take a swipe at the tour like that? He could just have said he is concentrating on the PGAT because it suits his lifestyle and that he enjoyed his time on the ET. Is this a dig at someone in particular, eg Pelley?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 02 Jan 2019, 8:53 pm

It's not what he's doing per se, but he could have said the same in thing sooo much better. TBH, he's over-hyped and has won FA of note in the last few years and he's clearly forgotten where he was based etc when he was spread eagling US Open fields etc some years ago. In danger of underachieving, although he clearly only values the moolah (mostly from endorsements), so I don't suppose he cares.

He's almost a Euro Woods, the way the media fawn over him and await every fart. Soonest on the PGAT, the better - more ET money for decent up-and-comers and less wasted on pointless appearance fees to McIlroy.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 02 Jan 2019, 8:54 pm

McLaren wrote:Although does anyone else think it is a bit odd that Rory felt the need to take a swipe at the tour like that? He could just have said he is concentrating on the PGAT because it suits his lifestyle and that he enjoyed his time on the ET. Is this a dig at someone in particular, eg Pelley?
Quite. He's either too far up himself and/or his PR advice (does he get any?) is useless.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 02 Jan 2019, 10:20 pm

I honestly see no issues with anything that he said. I quite like Rory Mc and his hobest approach.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 02 Jan 2019, 10:41 pm

I'd just like to see some leadership from the European Tour, from the administrators and players alike.

What would be wrong with a player becoming commissioner, Thomas Bjorn for instance?

The Tour got what they asked for when they hired Pelley, and now he's running the whole enterprise aground. Not too many N.Americans have been successful in European football ownership, and Pelley won't be successful running the ET as a competitor, or even complimentary to, the PGA Tour - his experience is irrelevant to the job at hand.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 03 Jan 2019, 12:05 am

Kwini

But what would count as a successful ET? OWGR points available, prize money, spectators attending events, TV viewers, TV deals. I am not sure.

I think ben is correct in saying the ET should be the championship to the PGATs EPL, but at the moment the ET is trying and failing to be La liga.

Does a failed bid to be the PGATs equal give an air of failure to the ET that needn't exist if the ET just accepted its level?

None of this really explains McIlroys dig though.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 03 Jan 2019, 12:53 am

Mac,
The ET needs to re-establish its own identity.
And that obviously starts with its own sponsors.
Sponsors deliver stars.
Stars deliver TV contracts and ratings.
Ratings help grow golf.

I'm sure Rory will back-track his words to some degree, like Pogba will somehow find a way to retract his grudging praise for Mourinho.

But the ET helps make most - not all - European PGA Tour stars, high time the players appreciated that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 03 Jan 2019, 12:55 am

I think Rorys point is that just big purses doesn’t do it for him and his peers.

And tbh I can’t see that Pelley has done any worse than the previous guy. Doesn’t say much though.

What the ET / Pelley needs to do is ensuring that up an coming players remain on the ET (by continuing to offer big purses, developing the Rolxes series etc) and then just forget about the current crop of US based players.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:11 am

pedro wrote:I think Rorys point is that just big purses doesn’t do it for him and his peers.

And tbh I can’t see that Pelley has done any worse than the previous guy. Doesn’t say much though.

What the ET / Pelley needs to do is ensuring that up an coming players remain on the ET (by continuing to offer big purses, developing the Rolxes series etc) and then just forget about the current crop of US based players.

Agreed - Pelley has to deliver owgr points as well as loot, which increasingly is irrelevant above a certain level.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 03 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

I'm not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about this. The European Tour, despite having more interesting venues and more variety of course is obviously lower tier these days, has been for years.

We complain when golfers give boring interviews like Woods or Braincell Johnson so it's good someone is honest about it.

Instead of moaning about it, the European Tour should be wondering what it can do to stop people feeling like this surely? It's not McIlroy's fault.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 03 Jan 2019, 10:14 am

Shock! Horror! Outrage! Sportsman states the obvious!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 03 Jan 2019, 10:19 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:...Rory announces the end of the European Tour as a credible entity.
No he doesn't. He can sod off. In fact, why not apply for American citizenship? He's up Trump's rear end, so should fit right in just now. What he's actually done is alienate many, many more European golfing fans. The man's an arse and the older he gets, the worse he gets.

Not sure why you are getting your knickers in a twist Navy. Rory hasn't said anything controversial here, golf is an individual sport, there's really nothing wrong with him choosing to sit at the top table when he clearly deserves to be there.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 03 Jan 2019, 10:36 am

Rory is right, for Rory's circumstances. Rory is honest, not having a deliberate dig, he's just stating what he sees, how he sees it.

For golfers that want to be the best in the world, the US is currently the best place to do it. For golfers that want to earn the most money, the US is currently the best place to do it. For golfers to get to do this, the European Tour is a stepping stone and little more.

Having a go at Rory for what he's saying is a bit like stabbing the postman for delivering a tax bill in my opinion.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 03 Jan 2019, 12:04 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Rory is right, for Rory's circumstances. Rory is honest, not having a deliberate dig, he's just stating what he sees, how he sees it.

For golfers that want to be the best in the world, the US is currently the best place to do it. For golfers that want to earn the most money, the US is currently the best place to do it. For golfers to get to do this, the European Tour is a stepping stone and little more.

Having a go at Rory for what he's saying is a bit like stabbing the postman for delivering a tax bill in my opinion.

Yep pretty much agree with all of that, would he have been better off just not saying it, yeah probably.
I don’t see the ET as dying on its arse. Would it benefit from bigger purses to attract better players more regular? yes of course it would. I also think the Rolex series is exactly the way it needs to develop. If they can’t throw loads of money across the board then focus it on the bigger more meaningful events.
For every Rory that doesn’t have a fixation on loyalty, there’s always a Pepperil/Smith/Wallace type coming behind to replace. The ET May be the poorer relation financially but given the biannual RC humping, it really doesn’t fall short on the competitive spirit it fosters.
We can judge it on the number of Rory’s abandoning it for riches if we like. Or we can judge it on those that will follow Patrick Reeds of the world that are happy to look for different challenges outside the PGAT bubble.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 03 Jan 2019, 2:06 pm

I agree that sportspeople speaking more openly and honestly makes for more interesting coverage but has Rory followed through on his "interesting" comments and actually given up his ET card?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 03 Jan 2019, 3:42 pm

McLaren wrote:I agree that sportspeople speaking more openly and honestly makes for more interesting coverage but has Rory followed through on his "interesting" comments and actually given up his ET card?

He didn't say he was going to give up his ET card. Nothing to "follow through on".

I expect he will end up meeting the minimum requirement. He's sponsored by Omega so has to play in Switzerland Masters, and he wants to have a links warm up before the Open, so he might as well announce those. He probably wants to finish his season in Dubai at the ET final, and so is also likely to play either Turkey or Nedbank, but no point committing to those yet - better to see how the season pans out.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 03 Jan 2019, 4:13 pm

Ray

So the ET is a stepping stone that he is till stepping on? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 03 Jan 2019, 4:20 pm

He'll pop over for a family birthday/visit on his private jet and hang around a few days to play something not too out of the way in Europe. Niall Horan will caddy for free and this will boost (completely age inappropriate) crowds at that event too. He'll be heralded as a saviour (as will Rory) and the European Tour will agree to a personal 1 event minimum and announce him RC captain for 2022 so he can actually give up membership immediately thereafter and play for the US team 2024 after changing his nationality to American and his name to his wife's maiden name. Nike will celebrate by returning to the equipment business, re-sign him and give him a swoosh (TM) tattoo, a set of Slingshot (TM) irons, with square sasquatch (TM) woods and 50 One Platinum (TW ah ha) balls which he will use to win the 2025 Masters and finally complete the career grand slam resulting in him becoming the USA's latest hall of famer.

Then. Then. Then, all the moaning observers might just have something a bit more controversial to hang him out to dry for.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 03 Jan 2019, 4:29 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Not sure why you are getting your knickers in a twist Navy. Rory hasn't said anything controversial here, golf is an individual sport, there's really nothing wrong with him choosing to sit at the top table when he clearly deserves to be there.
Good. He can **** off then.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 03 Jan 2019, 4:33 pm

Here's a random thought for the PGAT. What will happen if/when there's only a (relatively) small % of US players on the PGAT? What happens to support within the US, when 'their' Tour is populated by the best Europeans, Saffas, Indians, Koreans, Aussies, Kiwis, Chinese, Japanese etc? What if the male game is dominated by, say, Koreans in 10-20 years?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 03 Jan 2019, 4:35 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:He'll pop over for a family birthday/visit on his private jet and hang around a few days to play something not too out of the way in Europe. Niall Horan will caddy for free and this will boost (completely age inappropriate) crowds at that event too. He'll be heralded as a saviour (as will Rory) and the European Tour will agree to a personal 1 event minimum and announce him RC captain for 2022 so he can actually give up membership immediately thereafter and play for the US team 2024 after changing his nationality to American and his name to his wife's maiden name. Nike will celebrate by returning to the equipment business, re-sign him and give him a swoosh (TM) tattoo, a set of Slingshot (TM) irons, with square sasquatch (TM) woods and 50 One Platinum (TW ah ha) balls which he will use to win the 2025 Masters and finally complete the career grand slam resulting in him becoming the USA's latest hall of famer.

Then. Then. Then, all the moaning observers might just have something a bit more controversial to hang him out to dry for.
Nah. More than happy to slag him off right now. His utterances (despite S_R's comment re. 'interesting') have always been fairly cretinous and he's only really interested in money. Fair enough on the latter point, but I reserve the right to think he's a prize plum. The PGAT are more than welcome to him.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 03 Jan 2019, 4:43 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Here's a random thought for the PGAT. What will happen if/when there's only a (relatively) small % of US players on the PGAT? What happens to support within the US, when 'their' Tour is populated by the best Europeans, Saffas, Indians, Koreans, Aussies, Kiwis, Chinese, Japanese etc? What if the male game is dominated by, say, Koreans in 10-20 years?

Could happen! But the difference that I see is that, proportionately, there's far, far more money and sponsorship for the PGA Tour than there ever was for the LPGA; so the PGA Tour is far more of an attractive prospect for multi-sport athletes to aspire to, not to mention the college minor leagues.

Going back to what the ET needs - I would say it needs an umbrella sponsor that can elevate the weekly diet of tournaments so that "Europe" can offer a reasonable alternative thru'out the year - or, if that umbrella sponsorship has to be divvied up regionally, at least thru the European spring-thru-autumn. "Rolex", The Open, the PGA can then be overlaid on top, not that dissimilar to the PGA tour in some ways.
Remember, there have been a number of top players who have eschewed the PGA Tour for the ET / Champions Tour for various reasons over the years.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 03 Jan 2019, 5:53 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Here's a random thought for the PGAT. What will happen if/when there's only a (relatively) small % of US players on the PGAT? What happens to support within the US, when 'their' Tour is populated by the best Europeans, Saffas, Indians, Koreans, Aussies, Kiwis, Chinese, Japanese etc? What if the male game is dominated by, say, Koreans in 10-20 years?

Could happen! But the difference that I see is that, proportionately, there's far, far more money and sponsorship for the PGA Tour than there ever was for the LPGA; so the PGA Tour is far more of an attractive prospect for multi-sport athletes to aspire to, not to mention the college minor leagues....
Yeah, I get that Kwini. I guess I was more curious about the reaction of the US fans when they have very few US players to bang on about and US players aren't close to #1 anymore.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Thu 03 Jan 2019, 7:15 pm

So to summarize, if you didn’t like McIlroy before this he is a pure evil and glad to see the back of him and if you did like McIlroy you are wondering what all the fuss is about…

Okay so to the McIlroy haters. Would you change jobs if another company offered you 3 times the salary and you were working with the best people in the industry? Or would you remain loyal to the company that gave you your 1st job? When Casey left the European tour there was no problem, about the only questions I ever heard asked were how can we get him eligible for the Ryder Cup.  Seriously all the guy said is the PGA tour is bigger than the European Tour can anyone in their right mind disagree? And is that really disparaging the European tour? You would think he had pissed on Seve’s grave with some of the crap I’m reading here.  

I have no problem with Rory playing on the PGA tour. What does annoy me a little bit is the flip flopping… In November he was leaving but then in December Pelley  had a chat and convinced him to stay a member of the European tour. Now I don’t know if this latest statement means he wants to leave again or not.   I do think the Flip flopping (same thing happened with the Olympics) is just a product of him saying what he feels at the time and guess what people’s feelings and opinions change.  I’m a Liverpool supporter (have been for about 45 years so not jumping on the bandwagon), I think Klopp is an absolute God. If Liverpool lose every game for the rest of the season I’m pretty sure my opinion of him will change..

And I hope Rory continues to speak his mind. There are too many Pros out there who have been schooled by their PR teams to throw out the same canned garbage every week, seriously who wants to listen to that?

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 03 Jan 2019, 7:35 pm

All fair points Hogie. No problem with them. IMO, McIlroy's problems here are his disparagement of the ET and the utter stupidity of his statement re. wanting to improve his golf by being US-based, when he's won little of note recently and was ET-based at his best

He's probably better off not 'speaking his mind' in general, when all he confirms when he does is that he's dumb as a rock. Better to actually concentrate on the golf, especially when he can't hit what amounts to the proverbial barn door with a wedge from 100 yards.

Perhaps my main issue with him isn't his fault in actual fact, but with the media who think every fart he lets go is somehow worth reporting on. Bit like Woods in some respects.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 03 Jan 2019, 8:05 pm

Golf reporters report on high profile golfer shock.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 03 Jan 2019, 9:16 pm

beninho wrote:Golf reporters report on high profile golfer shock.
That's fine Ben, but they report too often on rubbish of no substance whatsoever, just because it's Woods/McIlroy.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 04 Jan 2019, 9:57 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:He'll pop over for a family birthday/visit on his private jet and hang around a few days to play something not too out of the way in Europe. Niall Horan will caddy for free and this will boost (completely age inappropriate) crowds at that event too. He'll be heralded as a saviour (as will Rory) and the European Tour will agree to a personal 1 event minimum and announce him RC captain for 2022 so he can actually give up membership immediately thereafter and play for the US team 2024 after changing his nationality to American and his name to his wife's maiden name. Nike will celebrate by returning to the equipment business, re-sign him and give him a swoosh (TM) tattoo, a set of Slingshot (TM) irons, with square sasquatch (TM) woods and 50 One Platinum (TW ah ha) balls which he will use to win the 2025 Masters and finally complete the career grand slam resulting in him becoming the USA's latest hall of famer.

Very sound and sensible predictions. Sasquatch haha.

Good use of your crystal ball roller. Can you also predict QPR sneaking into the play offs? And winning an FA Cup match too? (OK that last one is stretching credibility).

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 04 Jan 2019, 9:58 am

hogie wrote:So to summarize, if you didn’t like McIlroy before this he is a pure evil and glad to see the back of him and if you did like McIlroy you are wondering what all the fuss is about…

Okay so to the McIlroy haters. Would you change jobs if another company offered you 3 times the salary and you were working with the best people in the industry? Or would you remain loyal to the company that gave you your 1st job? When Casey left the European tour there was no problem, about the only questions I ever heard asked were how can we get him eligible for the Ryder Cup.  Seriously all the guy said is the PGA tour is bigger than the European Tour can anyone in their right mind disagree? And is that really disparaging the European tour? You would think he had pissed on Seve’s grave with some of the crap I’m reading here.  

I have no problem with Rory playing on the PGA tour. What does annoy me a little bit is the flip flopping… In November he was leaving but then in December Pelley  had a chat and convinced him to stay a member of the European tour. Now I don’t know if this latest statement means he wants to leave again or not.   I do think the Flip flopping (same thing happened with the Olympics) is just a product of him saying what he feels at the time and guess what people’s feelings and opinions change.  I’m a Liverpool supporter (have been for about 45 years so not jumping on the bandwagon), I think Klopp is an absolute God. If Liverpool lose every game for the rest of the season I’m pretty sure my opinion of him will change..

And I hope Rory continues to speak his mind. There are too many Pros out there who have been schooled by their PR teams to throw out the same canned garbage every week, seriously who wants to listen to that?

well said

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 04 Jan 2019, 10:07 am

navyblueshorts wrote:All fair points Hogie. No problem with them. IMO, McIlroy's problems here are his disparagement of the ET and the utter stupidity of his statement re. wanting to improve his golf by being US-based, when he's won little of note recently and was ET-based at his best.

Early contender for dumbest post of the year. If all the top tournaments are in the US, how is it stupid to base himself in the US?

navyblueshorts wrote:
He's probably better off not 'speaking his mind' in general, when all he confirms when he does is that he's dumb as a rock. Better to actually concentrate on the golf, especially when he can't hit what amounts to the proverbial barn door with a wedge from 100 yards.

No, it's great that he speaks his mind. Most people agree on this. He is a professional entertainer, part of his job is to say things, so the more interesting the better.

navyblueshorts wrote:
Perhaps my main issue with him isn't his fault in actual fact, but with the media who think every fart he lets go is somehow worth reporting on. Bit like Woods in some respects.

Well that's your own issue isn't it? I'm sure you are able to be selective in your media digestion. Not really a McIlroy problem.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri 04 Jan 2019, 10:28 am

navyblueshorts wrote:It's not what he's doing per se, but he could have said the same in thing sooo much better. TBH, he's over-hyped and has won FA of note in the last few years and he's clearly forgotten where he was based etc when he was spread eagling US Open fields etc some years ago. In danger of underachieving, although he clearly only values the moolah (mostly from endorsements), so I don't suppose he cares.

He's almost a Euro Woods, the way the media fawn over him and await every fart. Soonest on the PGAT, the better - more ET money for decent up-and-comers and less wasted on pointless appearance fees to McIlroy.
Spot on Navy! He’s lost all credibility in my eyes. He needs to remember not to bite the hand that originally fed you and that it’s a long fall down from the top with no-one to catch you warning
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 04 Jan 2019, 12:18 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

Very sound and sensible predictions. Sasquatch haha.

Good use of your crystal ball roller. Can you also predict QPR sneaking into the play offs? And winning an FA Cup match too? (OK that last one is stretching credibility).

It's a DeLorean Ray. And it's done hundreds of thousands of miles and hundreds of years. Best I can promise in all of that lot is a penalty shootout loss in the third round in 2046. We do win one in 2022, but that's only a first round game after a relegation, so probably doesn't count?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 04 Jan 2019, 1:08 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:All fair points Hogie. No problem with them. IMO, McIlroy's problems here are his disparagement of the ET and the utter stupidity of his statement re. wanting to improve his golf by being US-based, when he's won little of note recently and was ET-based at his best.

Early contender for dumbest post of the year. If all the top tournaments are in the US, how is it stupid to base himself in the US?
I'm sure you or someone else will top it soon enough. He won all his Majors based on the ET. He's won FA (or even really contended) recently while being US-focussed and somehow contends that being based in the US is going to make it more likely he'll win more? Noted that you didn't disagree with his disparagement of the ET.

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

No, it's great that he speaks his mind. Most people agree on this. He is a professional entertainer, part of his job is to say things, so the more interesting the better.
I suggested it's probably better he doesn't sound off if all he does is say stupid, or poorly thought through, things. He could have said pretty much the same thing is so many better ways. I couldn't care less if he does speak his mind, but I reserve the right to call it bollox if I so choose.

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Well that's your own issue isn't it? I'm sure you are able to be selective in your media digestion. Not really a McIlroy problem.
Agree with this, but if I remotely follow any golf reporting, I invariably have to put up with lazy, Woods/McIlroy-centric reporting. Can't change that, apparently, but doesn't mean I have to like it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 04 Jan 2019, 2:34 pm

I remember back even before Westwood got the number one spot I argued that he should have moved full time to the PGAT in order to increase his chances of winning a major. I know he did eventually move out there but it was probably ten years too late. My theory being that he needed to get used to the greens and develop a short game worthy of a major title. You could also add to that the added level of competition week to week. I think I would still say that he should have gone full time in the US much sooner in his career and that it would have given him his major win.

Is the same true for Rory? Or will dropping his limited ET appearances make no difference at all given he is already almost entirely US based?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 04 Jan 2019, 4:31 pm

I think Westwood hesitated to go full time on the PGAT for family reasons - he had young children so waited until they were older.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rory's wife has a baby this year or next year. That will be more than enough incentive for him to base himself in the US. Although personally I would do everything I could to stop my children growing up with an American accent.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 04 Jan 2019, 4:53 pm

I'm pretty sure Westwood moved over to the States pre his massive dip in form, I think he went to live out there with his family, when he was in his 20's, and partly blames the lifestyle change for why it all went so Pete Tong. Then again, I could be making all this up...
Rose, Donald, Casey, Poulter...don't they all pretty much live there?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 04 Jan 2019, 11:01 pm

Diggers wrote:I'm pretty sure Westwood moved over to the States pre his massive dip in form, I think he went to live out there with his family, when he was in his 20's, and partly blames the lifestyle change for why it all went so Pete Tong. Then again, I could be making all this up...
Think Westwood moved out there when he was almost there anyway, and it went pear-shaped. If anything, his form dipped, whatever the reasons, when he up-sticked for the US. Rose, Casey, Donald, Poulter - won a lot of Majors, that lot, as a function of full-time US living eh?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 05 Jan 2019, 12:35 am

McLaren wrote:I remember back even before Westwood got the number one spot I argued that he should have moved full time to the PGAT in order to increase his chances of winning a major.  I know he did eventually move out there but it was probably ten years too late.  My theory being that he needed to get used to the greens and develop a short game worthy of a major title.  You could also add to that the added level of competition week to week.  I think I would still say that he should have gone full time in the US much sooner in his career and that it would have given him his major win.

Is the same true for Rory?  Or will dropping his limited ET appearances make no difference at all given he is already almost entirely US based?

Westwood was surely close to 40 when he made the move, but ample time to correct his short game.

Can't see anyone having a problem with Rory playing more on the PGA Tour, but to throw hand grenades at the ET is pretty silly.
Hope he regrets it and earns the best of both worlds.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 05 Jan 2019, 1:20 am

raycastleunited wrote:Although personally I would do everything I could to stop my children growing up with an American accent.
Not that Rorys accent is particularly charming.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 05 Jan 2019, 1:26 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:I'm pretty sure Westwood moved over to the States pre his massive dip in form, I think he went to live out there with his family, when he was in his 20's, and partly blames the lifestyle change for why it all went so Pete Tong. Then again, I could be making all this up...
Think Westwood moved out there when he was almost there anyway, and it went pear-shaped. If anything, his form dipped, whatever the reasons, when he up-sticked for the US. Rose, Casey, Donald, Poulter - won a lot of Majors, that lot, as a function of full-time US living eh?
Donalds wife and Caseys ex are American. Wouldv’e made the decision to settle in the US a bit easier.
Same now with Rory and Sergio.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 06 Jan 2019, 6:20 pm

Apparently Rory's nose is out of joint with Pelley because his one and only request was turned down. Let's face it Rory has gone out of his way to support the ET, funding events and even committing to other tournaments in order to have players play ET events. He asked for 1 thing in return and was blanked. Player power rules, he is and always has been very generous with requests made of him. I can't blame him for getting the hump here.
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/irishopen/rory-mcilroy-bidding-to-switch-irish-open-date-to-become-2019-open-championship-warmup-36651564.html

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 06 Jan 2019, 9:05 pm

B_t_b,

Regardless of the latest Rory debate, you'd've thought that Aberdeen might have agreed to the switch; Rory's idea seems a no-brainer, a win/win for everyone, even possibly allowing for Aberdeen to postpone their sponsorship for a year and bring a new sponsor in for one year. Hadn't seen this article before (thanks) or even heard of the proposal.

Hopefully Rory will win today and he can turn all the hoo hah into a positive.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 06 Jan 2019, 9:13 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:Apparently Rory's nose is out of joint with Pelley because his one and only request was turned down. Let's face it Rory has gone out of his way to support the ET, funding events and even committing to other tournaments in order to have players play ET events. He asked for 1 thing in return and was blanked. Player power rules, he is and always has been very generous with requests made of him. I can't blame him for getting the hump here.
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/irishopen/rory-mcilroy-bidding-to-switch-irish-open-date-to-become-2019-open-championship-warmup-36651564.html
Bless...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next