F1 2019 season

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

F1 2019 season  - Page 4 Empty F1 2019 season

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Mon 07 Jan 2019, 10:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Felt like a new season deserves a new thread...

It's reported in Italy that Maurizio Arrivabene has been fired. His strained relationship with Ferrari's prized asset Sebastian Vettel and cost him his job. Arrivabene got one last dig at Vettel though by replacing Raikkonen with LeClerc.

Mattia Binotto will be confirmed as new team boss

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

F1 2019 season  - Page 4 Empty Re: F1 2019 season

Post by GSC on Sun 14 Apr 2019, 9:48 am

Yeah, wake me up in 2020
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie on Sun 14 Apr 2019, 10:01 am

Pierre Gasly had enough distance ahead of seventh place Ricciardo - to be brought in by Red Bull for an additional pit stop to put on fresh tyres near the end of the race - and that's how he got the fastest race lap. This was one of the predicted tactics that the additional point for fastest lap would lead to.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Just John on Sun 14 Apr 2019, 10:43 am

GSC wrote:Yeah, wake me up in 2020

No guarantee that ends Mercedes being dominant. Most likely, this lasts until, 2021. Unfortunately for the sport, Ferrari have disappointingly showcased themselves, to be an extremely incompetent team, that is highly incapable of performing at the level and professionalism of Mercedes.

Ferrari seem to have gone backwards. They clearly have an underlying issue with the reliability of the PU, which appears to cause them to run a detuned engine. They also seem to have gone in the wrong direction, in terms of front wing development. To add to that, LeClerc is now causing them strategical headaches, that Raikkonen was unable to create, happily playing a #2 role. Also, Sebastian Vettel is now on an eleven race winless streak. Chaos.

Just John

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 8:32 am

Well that was pretty anti-climactic for the 1,000th GP.

A bit of excitement at the start and some decent duelling between Verstappen & Vettel and that was pretty much it.

Shame that Bottas fluffed his start...although I'm sure Hamilton benefitted from all that extra rubber on his side of the track. Was very disappointed that Valtteri didn't put more pressure on Lewis. Seemed to have another one of those races where he just held position.

Quite disgusted with Ferrari. I know they have stated they want to protect their #1 driver, but Seb wasn't faster than Charles when they gave the order to switch places. He didn't pull away from Leclerc and the gap to the Mercs only increased.

So they screwed themselves over right there for starters. They then proceeded to screw themselves over again by leaving Leclerc out on old tyres, allowing Verstappen to undercut him.

So instead of a potential 3-4 finish they ended up with a 3-5...losing more ground to Merc in the constructor's championship.

Are they actually that desperate to keep Seb happy that they're willing sacrifice constructors' points?

I mean I could understand these tactics of Ferrari were actually in contention for the titles, but right now Mercedes are in a class of their own. All Ferrari are doing is deciding who gets the runner-up spots.

Aside from that, good to see Gasly scoring some points for RB and Ricciardo getting in the top 10.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 8:35 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:F1 is rapidly becoming like the Scottish Premier League - Mercedes being the Celtic, the rest being rubbish/awful. Lewis Hamilton is essentially the Leigh Griffiths of the racing world.

Also a shame to see my boy Lance's race ruined by Grosjean. I hope the man with the most potential on the grid can bounceback at the Heineken in a fortnight

As I said above, F1 is essentially now the SPL - one dominant side and a load of nothingness beneath them. Going to be a long, boring season ahead...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 10:16 am

The worst era in F1's history. These rubbish hybrid engines that Mercedes forced to be implemented. Mercedes lacked balls to challenge under the V8 engines.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 5:26 pm

Someone elsewhere mentioned that a honda powered vehicle is currently third in the drivers championship ahead of ferrari powered vehicles and renault powered vehicles. So basically Honda now has a competitive engine and maybe its development trajectory is still on the rise.

Probably Red Bull made the best strategy decisions in the race, whilst Ferrari maybe the worst. Driver of the day was given to tenth placed finisher Alexander Albon of Toro Rosso.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 5:33 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:The worst era in F1's history. These rubbish hybrid engines that Mercedes forced to be implemented. Mercedes lacked balls to challenge under the V8 engines.

Maybe they did, but the decision to switch to hybrid V6s was made by all the teams (the ones with decision-making powers anyway). Renault entering their own team was also contingent upon this engine formula. So it wasn't just Merc's decision. Also there was no guarantee they would come out ahead of the rest, after the switch was made. It just happens to have turned out that way. It could just as easily have been Ferrari or Renault.

I agree its a crap engine formula though. Too expensive, too complicated, too unreliable and the noise is pathetic, compared to the old V10s and V12s.

The environmental justification is a load of BS too, as the vast majority of F1's carbon footprint comes from the development & production of the cars and transporting all the gear across the world. The fuel used & CO2 emissions over a race weekend is almost negligible, in comparison.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 5:50 pm

I think a 21 race series is too many - especially given the processional nature of most races - where all the action occurs in the first few laps and most of the subsequent overtaking occurs through pit stop strategies (undercutting).  And a three engine limit is too few and will definitely start to have an impact in later rounds.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum