The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan

+19
RDW
wayne
LordDowlais
Welshmushroom
TightHEAD
VinceWLB
demosthenes
BigGee
Cardiff Dave
carpet baboon
Eejit
PhilBB
munkian
maestegmafia
Valleyboy
Luckless Pedestrian
Brendan
Pot Hale
mikey_dragon
23 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan - Page 12 Empty Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan

Post by Stone Motif Sun 30 Dec 2018, 11:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

RiscaGame wrote:A good win for Dragons. Wonder if George North might get banned this week for more shethousery. Guy is turning into a dirty get down there.

Wasn’t too convinced by the subs we made, but they turned out to be wise choices. That includes Tovey steadying the ship and kicking the winner and surprisingly Suter being solid in the scrum.
It's an amazing win given the Ospreys dominance. If they'd have made the right calls our luck would have run out I think.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan - Page 12 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan

Post by Stone Motif Fri 04 Oct 2019, 7:34 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Have I missed news of Ashton Hewitt getting injured? I don't know why else he'd be missing from the squad, unless they're conscious that he's not long back.

EDIT: Ollie Griffiths too.

Write up said he got kicked in the Chevy. Ollie Griffiths groin injury. Didn't see the game.

He got kicked in the face?!

That's what I said, split lip
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan - Page 12 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan

Post by RiscaGame Fri 04 Oct 2019, 11:44 pm

Yeah, Ash accidentally caught a boot as he tried to tackle. Seems like both were probably fit, but they don’t want to risk them. To be honest, I like our backrow tomorrow with Basham at 7 and Keddie fit again at 8. If Griffiths was 6, I’d be buzzing but definitely would rather him fit for our next two home games.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 04 Oct 2019, 11:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:The game against Zebre should answer all the questions you have about the current season.

Dragons: J Williams; Talbot-Davies, T Morgan, Dixon, O Jenkins, S Davies, R Williams (capt); Bevington, Hibbard, Brown, J Davies, Screech, L Evans, Basham, Keddie.

Replacements: Lawrence, B Harris, Fairbrother, M Williams, Taylor, Knoyle, Botica, Warren.

My only grumble from that with who’s available is Warren on the bench. I am not convinced by Talbot Davies still, so I’d probably play Warren wing there. Hope our pack fronts up. Looking forward to watching it anyway.

PS, good luck to Dowlais tomorrow against Risca, if you’re reading Lord. Having seen the team we have our, I fancy Dowlais to win at Risca again this season. Wish I was home to buy you a beer.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 05 Oct 2019, 7:01 am

Keddie is a weird one. Can't think of a guy mire physically dominant as an under 20 who has seemed to lose so much of that transitioning to the seniors. It's like he's had a power transplant.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 05 Oct 2019, 5:20 pm

Utter garage.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 05 Oct 2019, 7:52 pm

Considering the monkey on our backs away from Dave Parade, this is a great win. Yes Zebre were very weak and yes we were poor first half, but to play with the confidence we did was good to see. Disappointing to see a few easy lost balls in contact, but the set piece was brilliant and we dug ourselves out of a hole. Obviously the red helped, but Zebre were constantly infringing first half and should've probably picked up a yellow for slowing the ball illegally way before they did. It's maybe harsh for their winger to get a second yellow for what he did, but they were warned.

Anyway, a BP win and hopefully some momentum for the next few games including a winnable game at home Friday.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 05 Oct 2019, 8:06 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Considering the monkey on our backs away from Dave Parade, this is a great win. Yes Zebre were very weak and yes we were poor first half, but to play with the confidence we did was good to see. Disappointing to see a few easy lost balls in contact, but the set piece was brilliant and we dug ourselves out of a hole. Obviously the red helped, but Zebre were constantly infringing first half and should've probably picked up a yellow for slowing the ball illegally way before they did. It's maybe harsh for their winger to get a second yellow for what he did, but they were warned.

Anyway, a BP win and hopefully some momentum for the next few games including a winnable game at home Friday.

In terms of where we realistically are, putting away he other bottom feeders during a world cup season should be one of our top goals for the season. So hats off Dragons, mission accomplished.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 05 Oct 2019, 8:14 pm

At least we put them to the sword, but it was a poor team and an understrength one. Dregs still look pretty poor at the basics. Lots of dropped balls in contact and we seemed to be lacking physicality in the collisions and driving maul. Disappointing to let in a try at the end. Williams was very good, probably MOTM and then Davies. SD seems to be controlling well but the backs still look out of sync at times, so it has to be the midfield, we're better there when Warren is playing.

I watched all the other regions (bar Ospreys but who needs to watch that one) this weekend and thought all the rugby on show was pretty gash. Edinburgh and the Irish looking much better.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm

Yeehaw! First away win in the league since 2015!

I’ll take that.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 05 Oct 2019, 8:35 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Considering the monkey on our backs away from Dave Parade, this is a great win. Yes Zebre were very weak and yes we were poor first half, but to play with the confidence we did was good to see. Disappointing to see a few easy lost balls in contact, but the set piece was brilliant and we dug ourselves out of a hole. Obviously the red helped, but Zebre were constantly infringing first half and should've probably picked up a yellow for slowing the ball illegally way before they did. It's maybe harsh for their winger to get a second yellow for what he did, but they were warned.

In terms of where we realistically are, putting away he other bottom feeders during a world cup season should be one of our top goals for the season. So hats off Dragons, mission accomplished.

Totally. Given the pressure on us with the away day blues and the fact we were probably favourites for once too, I have to say it was definitely mission accomplished. Obviously the review on Monday won't be too comfortable, but for now I couldn't care less about our mistakes etc. laughing

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2019, 9:22 pm

How come we were so bad? We scored 52 points so must have been pretty decent! Was the red card really early or something?

Last edited by The Oracle on Sat 05 Oct 2019, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 05 Oct 2019, 9:37 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Totally. Given the pressure on us with the away day blues and the fact we were probably favourites for once too, I have to say it was definitely mission accomplished. Obviously the review on Monday won't be too comfortable, but for now I couldn't care less about our mistakes etc. laughing

Seasons gone by we'd have caved under the pressure of beating them a man down, this year we've torn them a new one shorn of half a pack of our genuine quality players. Quietly enthused.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 05 Oct 2019, 9:56 pm

The Oracle wrote:How come we were so bad? We scored 52 points so must have been pretty decent! Was the red card really early or something?

Red card was around 41 mins.

It wasn't so bad, but a few players like Hibbs and Keddie spilled a few balls more than once. We blew a few tries too. First half wasn't brilliant.

Like Stone said, I'm pretty enthused too. As I said the set piece was good. Leon scrummaged very well tonight. I think in a sense it's positive to win by fifty and have a few complaints. Just some things to tighten up on before Friday. Not a big problem though.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 05 Oct 2019, 10:16 pm

If you're asking me, then it's because I thought we didn't look like pro-standard. Dragons were really struggling to create opportunities up until the 50 minute mark. I've already alluded to some other stuff but there was a lot of side-to-side flings without going anywhere in the first half, and the players look slow to react IE incapable of playing heads-up rugby. If Dragons were the ones playing like that tonight except against the Cheetahs..... they looked very good btw.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2019, 11:00 pm

Cheers all, didn’t get to see it so just going on the scoreline alone at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 05 Oct 2019, 11:09 pm

I didn't watch it earlier hence haven't commented on players, but WE HAVEN'T WON AN AWAY GAME IN FOUR YEARS. I don't know why anyone expects anything than us other than doing well in games like this. This is our ceiling.

Our best player is 22, away at the World Cup. We haven't won away since before he took up rugby.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 05 Oct 2019, 11:49 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Our best player is 22, away at the World Cup.  We haven't won away since before he took up rugby.

This week’s interesting fact.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 06 Oct 2019, 2:20 am

Stone Motif wrote:I didn't watch it earlier hence haven't commented on players, but WE HAVEN'T WON AN AWAY GAME IN FOUR YEARS. I don't know why anyone expects anything than us other than doing well in games like this. This is our ceiling.

Our best player is 22, away at the World Cup.  We haven't won away since before he took up rugby.

I suspect you’re not having a pop at me, but I will say I’m not being negative at all personally. I fully accept its out ceiling too. I even found positives from the Munster game. I would recommend watching it, if you can (and Oracle), as you’ll totally see my points and it’s enjoyable really.

As you say though, pointless analysing it too much. Who cares. We won. We had a BP. We scored over fifty. I don’t care if it’s Zebre or Zebre youth we played. Monkey gone. It was great to see us running ball we would’ve generally kicked before. Even Rhodri is allowed to play now instead of box kicking, albeit his assist for Zebre’s second try wasn’t great laughing Sam Davies showed some lovely tactical kicking when necessary, as did Jordan. Huw Taylor made a big impact coming on.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 06 Oct 2019, 9:26 am

RiscaGame wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:I didn't watch it earlier hence haven't commented on players, but WE HAVEN'T WON AN AWAY GAME IN FOUR YEARS. I don't know why anyone expects anything than us other than doing well in games like this. This is our ceiling.

Our best player is 22, away at the World Cup.  We haven't won away since before he took up rugby.

I suspect you’re not having a pop at me, but I will say I’m not being negative at all personally. I fully accept its out ceiling too. I even found positives from the Munster game. I would recommend watching it, if you can (and Oracle), as you’ll totally see my points and it’s enjoyable really.

As you say though, pointless analysing it too much. Who cares. We won. We had a BP. We scored over fifty. I don’t care if it’s Zebre or Zebre youth we played. Monkey gone. It was great to see us running ball we would’ve generally kicked before. Even Rhodri is allowed to play now instead of box kicking, albeit his assist for Zebre’s second try wasn’t great laughing Sam Davies showed some lovely tactical kicking when necessary, as did Jordan. Huw Taylor made a big impact coming on.
No I should have hit reply to a different post, I think, my bad. I had a catch up with my old mate Jack last night an all. 100% agree with your post, regardless of performance we ticked every box last night - BP, big points, confidence and from what you said of the game imposing a game plan on the opposition.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 06 Oct 2019, 9:27 am

Oh and no sodding injuries for a change
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 06 Oct 2019, 12:10 pm

Yeah, that’s definitely pleasing.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Oct 2019, 2:32 pm

Hope it wasn’t me you were replying to either? I’m over the moon with the win!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 06 Oct 2019, 5:11 pm

Think it was the 'pro standard' comment above. We've barely been pro standard for years. Like I said, honourable gentleman from Tennessee was in the house.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Oct 2019, 6:11 pm

RiscaGame, I was down at Risca RFC yesterday doing a tag rugby course with the WRU. Nice little indoor 3G training barn there. Didn’t expect that! Haven’t been down there for years mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 06 Oct 2019, 6:33 pm

Yeah, not a bad setup in there really. Shame about the pitch that’s allegedly waterlogged Rolling Eyes

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Oct 2019, 8:22 pm

Didn’t notice it looking waterlogged walking past but wasn’t paying that much attention. Pretty grim weather though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 06 Oct 2019, 9:00 pm

The Oracle wrote:RiscaGame, I was down at Risca RFC yesterday doing a tag rugby course with the WRU. Nice little indoor 3G training barn there. Didn’t expect that! Haven’t been down there for years mind.

I use the gym upstairs, it's half tidy only thing missing is a proper power rack.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Oct 2019, 9:08 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
The Oracle wrote:RiscaGame, I was down at Risca RFC yesterday doing a tag rugby course with the WRU. Nice little indoor 3G training barn there. Didn’t expect that! Haven’t been down there for years mind.

I use the gym upstairs, it's half tidy only thing missing is a proper power rack.

Saw the gym briefly. We were in the conference/board room thingy next door to start with. Had a quick glance into the gym when the door was open. Looked like a proper gym. No bells and whistles!

Good turnout for a tag course. Was expecting only a handful but there were about 25 of us. Some had come from Swansea, Aberdare, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 06 Oct 2019, 9:18 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Saw the gym briefly. We were in the conference/board room thingy next door to start with. Had a quick glance into the gym when the door was open. Looked like a proper gym. No bells and whistles!

Good turnout for a tag course. Was expecting only a handful but there were about 25 of us. Some had come from Swansea, Aberdare, etc.

Yeah like most gyms far too much space wasted on machines and cardio equipment but they got a couple decent barbells and nice little free weights section. Expensive for what it is but worth paying for to avoid having to queue behind some bro-splitting time waster at Puregym or the like. Minis seems to be doing well can't park there on a Friday, gonna sign my eldest up I think
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 07 Oct 2019, 12:25 pm

The Oracle wrote:Didn’t notice it looking waterlogged walking past but wasn’t paying that much attention. Pretty grim weather though.

I wasn't home so can't accurately comment, but I have been told there was nothing wrong with the pitch. That said, I know the pitch is liable to flood in certain areas, but it did seem highly unlikely that the pitch could be that bad. I assume the referee was asked to make a call on it.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 07 Oct 2019, 12:28 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Yeah like most gyms far too much space wasted on machines and cardio equipment but they got a couple decent barbells and nice little free weights section. Expensive for what it is but worth paying for to avoid having to queue behind some bro-splitting time waster at Puregym or the like. Minis seems to be doing well can't park there on a Friday, gonna sign my eldest up I think

It was pretty cheap for me as a player, so I didn't mind it at first. Then I found the bench press pretty unsafe, with having to have the arms raised for the bar and there seemed to be a lot of things breaking all the time, due to poor maintenance.

But the 3G downstairs is good, as is the conference room upstairs Laugh

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 07 Oct 2019, 2:41 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

It was pretty cheap for me as a player, so I didn't mind it at first. Then I found the bench press pretty unsafe, with having to have the arms raised for the bar and there seemed to be a lot of things breaking all the time, due to poor maintenance.

But the 3G downstairs is good, as is the conference room upstairs Laugh

I find the bench OK, had to do the roll of shame a couple times I'll admit but my sticking point is the bottom, (spaghetti arms) so the height of the arms not a problem in such a scenario Laugh.

Everything else I do off the floor. Kind of bizarre to find a place where you can chalk up and go for a big DL or clean and you don't see anyone doing it, least of all the rugby squad guys I see in there I might add.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 07 Oct 2019, 3:30 pm

I might actually go back there, as I like the fact they have (had) that Smiths, which would make it more favourable for me squatting etc.

Every time I went in there, there was mostly older people in there. I didn't really see many rugby boys there. I know the Risca boys have started doing more olympic type lifts, but bet they don't get tested on it very often so probably kiss it off until pre-season when they go to Cross Keys college for testing.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 07 Oct 2019, 8:41 pm

RiscaGame wrote:I might actually go back there, as I like the fact they have (had) that Smiths, which would make it more favourable for me squatting etc.

Every time I went in there, there was mostly older people in there. I didn't really see many rugby boys there. I know the Risca boys have started doing more olympic type lifts, but bet they don't get tested on it very often so probably kiss it off until pre-season when they go to Cross Keys college for testing.

Yeah the Smith machine is still there. Most of the players I see there play for other clubs lower down to be fair, never leave the cable machine Rolling Eyes
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 07 Oct 2019, 10:20 pm

Haha. Seems to be pretty common in a lot of gyms.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 09 Oct 2019, 3:10 pm

Back to league action Friday, with Connacht bringing a Craggy Island summer with them weather wise.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 09 Oct 2019, 3:14 pm

Haha.

I am excited by it. Hopefully another win and it's not a bad start at all.

Seems like Ashton is fit, but still doubts over Griffiths and Bevington. Ideally Griffiths comes in for Keddie and I would be pretty happy.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 09 Oct 2019, 6:03 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Haha.

I am excited by it. Hopefully another win and it's not a bad start at all.

Seems like Ashton is fit, but still doubts over Griffiths and Bevington. Ideally Griffiths comes in for Keddie and I would be pretty happy.
Think he'll go for Taylor and Shanks if it's wet and scrums are likely
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 09 Oct 2019, 6:24 pm

Fair point. Taylor is probably deserving of a start.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 09 Oct 2019, 7:48 pm

Liked the cut of his gib in the recent Argus interview with him - kind of recognised he's not the most talented player but determined to be the hardest worker, which requires zero talent just heart
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 09 Oct 2019, 8:11 pm

Me too. I’ve heard really positive things about the impact he made when he helped Newport RFC too. Actually made a difference to their environment and didn’t think of himself as the big I am (same as Landman didn’t).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 10 Oct 2019, 6:22 pm

It is Taylor and Shanks as Griffiths is not on the team sheet again. Anyone know when we can get Hill back? He should be healed by now. My impression was that he wasn't a long-term injury, but needed to be fit at a certain date which he wasn't hence dropped. If Taylor or Shanks are at 6 going forward then I guess having Griffiths or Wainwright on the bench gives us a bit of oomph. Be even better if someone like Nansen was there too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 10 Oct 2019, 6:57 pm

Hill is away this week. He has been sent on holiday to get over the RWC disappointment. Good management really, considering we weren’t expecting him for ages. Then he will be assessed next week, to see how he is.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 10 Oct 2019, 7:24 pm

Yeah really good people management that. Him, Dee, Wainwright and Moriarty would make a good difference to the pack. Webb wants to come home too, we can help by reuniting him with his former halfback partner...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 11 Oct 2019, 12:32 pm

Friday Night Lights down Dave Parade and it seems the wet weather is coming in again. Good interview with Dean Ryan about us having to do the gritty work, even though we want to play attacking rugby. It's obvious then, why he has picked his backrow.

Hopefully our handling is a little better than last week, especially seeing as it was dry in Parma. Looking forward to watching it later.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 11 Oct 2019, 12:37 pm

Hibbard was probably the worst culprit for dropped balls last week, perhaps his role is that of an impact sub nowdays, 30 minutes hard work at best.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Oct 2019, 12:40 pm

I'm interested to see how Leon Brown goes. Nice interview with him recently talking about being open to changing his style and working on his scrummaging, different angles, etc. Ryan thinks Gatland has made a mistake discarding him and sees him as international class. Says Brown has been immense for us since he came back. We'll see how he kicks on. But will be good to see how he goes against Connacht tonight. On the face of it he's in a strong enough front row of Brok Harris, Hibbard and him. Those other two, as I understand it, are decent scrummagers so hopefully he can show what he can do on his side. Not sure that the 2nd rows are that strong in the scrum mind (Joe Davies and Screech)?

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 11 Oct 2019, 12:44 pm

Joe Davies isn't decent at anything. Screech is a good player. If Taylor is really 6'5 i'd be open to trying him at lock.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 11 Oct 2019, 10:15 pm

So the buzz is over already. Poxy rain.

Probably shouldn’t have had a week on the smash after last weekend. Poxy Parma weekenders.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Oct 2019, 10:27 pm

Yeah.... ummm..... hmmmm. Didn’t quite go to plan. Gash!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next