PGA Tour: Waste Management Phoenix Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PGA Tour: Waste Management Phoenix Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: Waste Management Phoenix Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer on Wed 30 Jan 2019, 6:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Back to the desert this week, Phoenix, Arizona this time, but what did we learn about last week's action?
There's Tiger looking pretty in pink, on Sunday no less.
Justin Rose playing, mostly, like a Number One, but not doing himself any favours by his "I'm not a politician, I'm a golfer" justification for joining the Saudi money grab.
Rory joining the lobby against California taxes.
DeChambeau escaping penalties as he dawdled to an emphatic Dubai win.
etc, etc.

2).An ultimately impressive win for Rose at Torrey Pines, despite a few 3rd round wobbles, with three Sixes on his Saturday card. He's apparently loving his new combination of clubs, mainly Honma with a TaylorMade and Titleist appearance in his bag with his Axis putter, and staying with his TaylorMade ball. Coincidentally, he and his mate Adam Scott (born within a fortnight of each other and with similar Tour paths) both crossed the $50M career Tour earnings mark.
Who are ahead of them? Glad you asked: Woods ($115M), Mickelson ($88M), Singh ($71M), Furyk ($68M), DJ ($56M). Els, Garcia and Kuchar round out the top ten.
The other Europeans in the Top 50 include:
Rory ($41M), Luke Donald ($36M), Stenson ($30M), Casey ($26M), and Harrington who's 50th with $24.8M which he'll be hoping to add to in his planned comeback from injury in a week's time at Pebble Beach.

3).Not sure what to think about the European Tourists going to Saudi Arabia.
During Apartheid I always thought I'd never consider visiting South Africa, but had the chance to go a few times for work, justified it to myself that it would be educational, and it was. Among other things, it's tough to tell from Europe or the US that SA contained so many nuances to its prejudice - hopefully that's changed over the past decades, but it was an eye-opener for an English country boy.
Hope the boys in Saudi learn something, the good as well as the bad - there'd be hell to pay if the Mad Scientist came home in bits in a body bag.

4).Talking of which, something not quite right about DeChambeau's flagrant slow play which goes unpunished, and the Li Haotong incident. But there's arrogance too, when he says he gets put on the clock "almost every week". Well, not exactly Bryson, your playing partners are affected also. Grow up, speed up and, to paraphrase Koepka, don't be so pathetic.

5).Tiger Woods got at least as many headlines here as Rose, and he looked pretty strong finishing his tournament in style (and, perhaps not coincidentally, in arrears). He's never won at his next stop, LA's Riviera in two weeks, but he knows where his game stands and imagine he'll be busy from Riviera onwards, perhaps picking a few favourites (Honda, Bay Hill) and choosing to miss a WGC or two.

6).It seems Tiger is getting a free pass over here for his abysmal performance in Paris last autumn. He's done wonderfully well to make it back from his dozens of surgeries, but don't let him get way with carp like Doug Ferguson quoted him as saying on Sunday:
"Finishing the year the way I did, hitting it like I did was great because I finally built it into a place where I can take a little time off and I know what I'll have when I come back." Just so long as it's not en Paris, said Tigre, and certainly not if I'm expected to assume a leadership role.

7).Good to see Rory McIlroy playing well at Torrey Pines, not a bad preview for the 2021 US Open. But why did he have to open his trap about relative taxation between California and elsewhere? Not very sympathetic Rors, you're a great interview when you talk about stuff you know something about, but not when you come across as a whining, poor little rich boy. Berk.

8).The new, compressed PGA Tour schedule will undoubtedly have some Tournament Directors scratching their heads wondering how they're going to attract stars to their events. You'd imagine Hartford would be one tournament that would suffer more than most, as it follows a US Open 3,000 miles away and is at the beginning of a stretch where PGA Tour pros, Americans especially, might fancy a breather. So it was great to read that Hartford's Travelers Championship has already attracted commitments from Brooks Koepka and Justin Thomas.

9).Having a tough time picking anyone to beat the threesome of Fowler, Matsuyama and Mickelson in Phoenix. I'm interested in seeing how Tyrrell Hatton makes out and how Alex Noren follows up his dismal Thursday last week at Torrey Pines. I have to pick a one-and-done and will probably go with last year's runner up, Chez Reavie.

10).Happy 50th birthdays this week to Ken Duke (which you won't much care about) and, difficult to believe, Retief Goosen who still has his days competing on the "Big" Tour. It'll be interesting to see how he does on the Champions Tour, or indeed, if he'll play much.
Meanwhile, Transfer Deadline Day Thursday, stay by the phone, you never know. Charlie Austin to Pompey would be a nice present for moi.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Waste Management Phoenix Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Waste Management Phoenix Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren on Wed 06 Feb 2019, 5:45 pm

Thanks for the low down on the new app robo. The f1 app is a streaming service produced by the owners of f1. You get live race coverage and a choice of commentary feeds from various languages. Although this is not available in the UK where sky have obviously screwed the system.

I just wondered if the golf channel or pgat had put something similar out.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum