The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Rugby Approves Rugby X - a new indoor 5-a-side format

+7
tigertattie
LordDowlais
The Great Aukster
robbo277
LondonTiger
Rugby Fan
11 posters

Go down

World Rugby Approves Rugby X - a new indoor 5-a-side format Empty World Rugby Approves Rugby X - a new indoor 5-a-side format

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 05 Feb 2019, 1:01 pm

We've already got 15s, 10s, 9s and 7s but, apparently, we need another rugby format. My instinct is to think we risk diluting the sport but I have a lot of time for Ben Ryan, and he's one of the main originators and proponents.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-rugby-approve-rugby-x-a-radical-fiveaside-indoor-version-of-the-game-report-37784417.html

If anyone finds a video showcasing how it works, I'd be intereste dto see it.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

World Rugby Approves Rugby X - a new indoor 5-a-side format Empty Re: World Rugby Approves Rugby X - a new indoor 5-a-side format

Post by LondonTiger Tue 05 Feb 2019, 1:07 pm

I read about this over my cornflakes and just had to check it was not April 1st.

References to how T20 has spread the game of cricket are rather a long way off the mark. The huge interest in the shortened form of cricket is in the traditional playing countries and was driven by the chance to see the best cricketers competing against each other in a shortened time frame and with "extra thrills".

The big names in rugby will not participate in this, though we may see some of the 7s guys.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

World Rugby Approves Rugby X - a new indoor 5-a-side format Empty Re: World Rugby Approves Rugby X - a new indoor 5-a-side format

Post by robbo277 Tue 05 Feb 2019, 1:08 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:We've already got 15s, 10s, 9s and 7s but, apparently, we need another rugby format. My instinct is to think we risk diluting the sport but I have a lot of time for Ben Ryan, and he's one of the main originators and proponents.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-rugby-approve-rugby-x-a-radical-fiveaside-indoor-version-of-the-game-report-37784417.html

If anyone finds a video showcasing how it works, I'd be intereste dto see it.

Not sure how close the trials got to the finished product, but this is going to be the first time it's sanctioned by World Rugby? We used to play a training game that was very similar to Rugby X, I think our training game and a lot of Rugby X was based on beach rugby rules.

I think X is sufficiently different to 7s. 9s and 10s don't really have mainstream appeal (isn't 9s league anyway?)

The main thing about X is there's no restarts. They score a try, you tap and go. It's so fast, it's only 10 minutes but there will be rolling subs.

The question I would have is how accessible is it going to be? There are probably 40 5-a-side football leagues I could play in every Monday around my hometown, will it be able to tap into this market? If so, then it could bring people into the game. I don't think Rugby X as a sport will ever get to the level of 15s, not in the same way as T20 has for cricket, but you could see it being our 5-a-side, allowing people an outlet to play an actual game or two midweek, something you can't do with 15s or 7s as easily.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 05 Feb 2019, 7:26 pm

I suppose the idea is to fill the niche between sevens and touch. Probably appeals to those who played rugby at school/ uni but haven't the time/ inclination to play for a club at the weekend. Perhaps the guys who in days gone by would have been the pillars of the club 5th XV.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 06 Feb 2019, 2:01 pm

If 14 minutes on a full sized pitch is barely enough to give 7s exponents a workout, who is going to be interested in this from a fitness point of view? If the intention is that it should always be a knockout event, who is going to try and organise (at least) four teams every week in a tournament format?
Five-a-side football is successful because it uses the same skills as the full version of the game and takes 20 to 40 minutes of time for two teams. If there is no kicking or lifting or pushing or tackling, this crazy proposal basically has no resemblance to Rugby Union other that it uses the same shaped ball.

World Rugby have just confirmed how clueless they are.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 06 Feb 2019, 2:31 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:If 14 minutes on a full sized pitch is barely enough to give 7s exponents a workout, who is going to be interested in this from a fitness point of view? If the intention is that it should always be a knockout event, who is going to try and organise (at least) four teams every week in a tournament format?
Five-a-side football is successful because it uses the same skills as the full version of the game and takes 20 to 40 minutes of time for two teams. If there is no kicking or lifting or pushing or tackling, this crazy proposal basically has no resemblance to Rugby Union other that it uses the same shaped ball.

If you can get 4 teams, you've got 6 games in an hour plus loss time, 30 minutes of (intense) rugby per team and a self-enclosed tournament right there.

What happens with 5-a-side is someone normally rents a space for 12 weeks or so, sets up a budget website and charges each team £30-£40 per game. So that would be £120-£160 to hire the pitch and cover 1 guy's costs to maintain a website and ref 1 hour a week. You get firms who franchise out their tournament and help with the website, and they're normally run by people who are already involved in football coaching somewhere and have their own balls and bibs already sourced.

Didn't realise there was no tackling though. Hate the idea now.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 06 Feb 2019, 2:43 pm

I played indoor 5/7 a side touch rugby for years when I was younger, I did not know in all that time I needed World Rugby's approval. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 06 Feb 2019, 2:53 pm

I dont see anyone saying there will be no tackling.

As far as I can see, it's indoor 7s with only 5 men/women and instead of a kicked restart, you tap and go (location of this is unclear) and at line outs the ball is throw in by a sub (which acutlaly makes it a 6 person game really)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 06 Feb 2019, 3:23 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:If 14 minutes on a full sized pitch is barely enough to give 7s exponents a workout, who is going to be interested in this from a fitness point of view? If the intention is that it should always be a knockout event, who is going to try and organise (at least) four teams every week in a tournament format?

Is what I was going off.

I think the location of the restart is where the ball gets put down really. Pick it up, run to your try line, tap and go.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 06 Feb 2019, 4:05 pm

robbo277 wrote:

Is what I was going off.

I think the location of the restart is where the ball gets put down really. Pick it up, run to your try line, tap and go.

It will be like the British Bulldogs game we used to play on the school yard as kids. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 06 Feb 2019, 5:33 pm

That’s British and Irish Bulldogs, LD Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 07 Feb 2019, 10:13 am

Cyril wrote:That’s British and Irish Bulldogs, LD Wink
laughing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Feb 2019, 10:17 am

Laugh

It doesn't have the same ring to it though, when you call the challenge,

BRITISH BULLDOGS 123 !!!!! or BRITISH AND IRISH BULLDOGS 123 !!!!

Nah, it just doesn't work. Sorry. Wink

Anyway, how would it work with brexit. Run

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:02 am

Not sure if this is the same....

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricardo74 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:47 am

I think that going back to the cricket analogy, this proposal is more akin to the much derided "100" tournament rolled out by the ECB. Something nobody wants, less people need, and there is zero public demand for.

Ricardo74

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:31 pm

Rugby for Dogs should be given a go .... of course World Rugby rules would apply but it would a chance for dogs who can't get a contract with a human team to not be left out, victimised or be taunted by dogphobia individuals.

Failing that, Rugby Chess?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 9:16 pm

SecretFly wrote:Rugby for Dogs should be given a go .... of course World Rugby rules would apply but it would a chance for dogs who can't get a contract with a human team to not be left out, victimised or be taunted by dogphobia individuals.

Failing that, Rugby Chess?

I do have a theory that you could train chimps to play a slightly simplified form of rugby league. Still looking for financial backers though.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 9:30 pm

I have a theory that Boudjellal would pay you a lot of money for that idea.... I think he'd much prefer a team of chimps than a team of humans. - Chimps would be more obedient and not demand so much money... well, when they're young anyway. Of course try not paying them when they're older and you lose an arm or two.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 21 Feb 2019, 5:23 am

What's wrong with just playing 15's 7's and touch?

Touch tournaments are a great way to play a very similar game and still use the skills but make it accessible to everyone. World Rugby should just put more money in to promoting that rather then odd new ideas.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down