The Build to England’s Summer of Cricket

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Build to England’s Summer of Cricket - Page 9 Empty The Build to England’s Summer of Cricket

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Wed 13 Feb 2019, 11:25 am

First topic message reminder :

It’s a little early for separate World Cup and Ashes threads, but with the Windies giving England less wins than they might have liked, what confidence had been gained from Sri Lanka has been drained.

If anything, it feels like there were less questions in summer than there are now, with the top three even less secure, Curran’s away showings looking unconvincing so far and some questions around  places for Bairstow, Foakes and pace of Wood or similar. 

There’s also a World Cup coming, a home World Cup, something England have been building towards for quite some time. They’re a very good team, maybe better than any England World Cup team, but there’s a few issues.

It’s also worth noting opponents, although I can’t see anyone getting more discussion than the Aussies. They’ve recovered from defeat to win a home series against a very weak Sri Lanka. Their tails are up, and they could welcome back their two bets batsmen. Could, as morals might well make that a little difficult. They don’t have many here, though, so it will depend just how much of a tit Warner is in the meantime.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Build to England’s Summer of Cricket - Page 9 Empty Re: The Build to England’s Summer of Cricket

Post by alfie on Sat 18 May 2019, 9:51 am

Don't think anyone can match England's batting depth. (Quite apart from the strength of their top six or seven) Could have someone like Plunkett or Willey batting at eleven ...
The one thing they don't have is the absolute top class strike bowler (no Starc , Boult , Rabada etc ) No evidence yet that Archer is that despite the hype . But the bowlers they do have possess a measure of variety and seem to be reasonably good at keeping their heads under pressure. As long as they continue to be blessed by a batting lineup that keeps making big scores , I'd fancy them to get the job done.
Also importantly they can all field.

alfie

Back to top Go down

The Build to England’s Summer of Cricket - Page 9 Empty Re: The Build to England’s Summer of Cricket

Post by LondonTiger on Sat 18 May 2019, 1:48 pm

What I liked most about last night was that when we had the mid order collapse we did not buckle. Now to see how we handle losing wickets in the first 10 overs.

When Buttler came in I had this gut feeling that he performs better setting  target than chasing. I shall post all the stats later, but from memory he averages 43 when setting, 39 when chasing. I think his SR is also higher when we bat first, but will check when I get home after the rugby.

This difference did not seem huge until I looked at the other batters. All perform better in a chase, Root marginal as his average is just below 50 when setting, just above when chasing.

Roy and Bairstow both average about 14 more when chasing with SR similarly increased. Morgan and Stokes not quite so dramatic, but not far off.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Sat 18 May 2019, 7:28 pm

As a general thing its England are better when chasing. They've only lost 3 chases since sept 2015 which is frankly ridiculous. The buttler stat is a bit if an oddity but I guess it's generally easier to know how to pace an innings when you're chasing, and they have no fear of score board pressure. The doubt is put in the minds if the team batting first, do they go for broke and try and set a challenge that even England would struggle with or take the Pakistan approach of getting totals that give them a chance but are slightly short in the final reckoning

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 19 May 2019, 8:08 am

Roy being rested with Bairstow back in, no Jordan

Only leaked team news I’ve seen so far
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Sun 19 May 2019, 8:28 am

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Easy as you like Stokes the ODI batsman getting better all the time

Poor old Sarfraz looks depressed

Not sure about getting better, his best year was 2017 when he averaged over 60 at better than run a ball. More a recent return to form after a dip during the Bristol period. He hasnt scored a century in nearly 2 years.
Theres a similar pattern with his test batting too, 2017 he scored 2 centuries and 4 50's followed by a difficult spring/summer in 2018 then picking up through the winter tours.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Sun 19 May 2019, 10:45 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Roy being rested with Bairstow back in, no Jordan

Only leaked team news I’ve seen so far

Other changes were the quicks being rested and Woakes and Willey coming in. Plus Morgan for Denly.

On winning toss, Morgan chooses to bat to "replicate what happens if we lose the toss".

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 19 May 2019, 11:36 am

That was an absolutely textbook James Vince innings
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 19 May 2019, 12:35 pm

This is getting silly , really...

Got to be well over 400 today , surely ? If they don't change the rules or the pitches this form of the game is going to destroy itself as it is just no longer a contest between bat and ball.

Fun to watch occasional exhibitions of wonderful power hitting , batsmen like Buttler or ABDV or Gayle monstering some hapless bowlers...but it is becoming just too predictable. Too one sided. In a word...boring.

Hope the WC isn't all going to be like this.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 19 May 2019, 2:46 pm

Some way short of Alfie's 400 but England still reached 350, thanks in particular to a highly effective cameo from Tom Curran at the end. An undefeated 29 from 15 balls. His ODI batting stats are actually very impressive. An average now of 44.5 with a strike rate of 107. His average is clearly aided by being not out in 7 of his 11 innings. However, he deserves credit for pushing on and not throwing his wicket away.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sun 19 May 2019, 2:57 pm

alfie wrote:This is getting silly , really...

Got to be well over 400 today , surely ? If they don't change the rules or the pitches this form of the game is going to destroy itself as it is just no longer a contest between bat and ball.

Fun to watch occasional exhibitions of wonderful power hitting , batsmen like Buttler or ABDV or Gayle monstering some hapless bowlers...but it is becoming just too predictable. Too one sided. In a word...boring.

Hope the WC isn't all going to be like this.

Strongly, firmly, absolutely agree.

Bigger boundaries, no restrictions on the amount of overs a bowler can bowl, just the one ball, more fielders outside the circle, more leniency on leg-side bowling, scrap free hits - everything needs to be up for consideration to make it a fair fight.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Sun 19 May 2019, 3:31 pm

Maybe England are just really good at batting?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 19 May 2019, 3:50 pm

JDizzle wrote:Maybe England are just really good at batting?

Can’t be - has to be the rules and regulations Rolling Eyes
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sun 19 May 2019, 3:59 pm

They are, but of the 30 highest match aggregates recorded in ODI history, 20* have been in the last four and a bit years. There have also been 45 scores of 375 or more in ODI history - 24** of those have been in the last four and a bit years.

It's a worrying trend.

* 12 of these games have involved England.
** 5 of these 24 scores of 375+ have been registered by England.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 19 May 2019, 4:18 pm

Yes let’s go back to the good old days of ODIs......ah. They were crap back when 240 was a good score, thus why they changed the regulations in the first place...

As much as he was well loved - watching James Tredwell bowl 10-0-42-0 between overs 20-40 wasn’t exactly enthralling
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sun 19 May 2019, 4:31 pm

Each to their own, but I'd rather see an even contest between bat and ball, rather than an elongated T20 where 350 is rapidly becoming the new 'normal'.

No complaints from me about the days when 250 was a good score and 300 was a very imposing total. It served up games where bowlers had a chance to dominate batsmen and made boundaries a worthwhile, and relatively rare, spectacle.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Sun 19 May 2019, 4:49 pm

The best bowlers are still the best bowlers as well - of the players with the 15 best bowling averages since the 2015 WC, this includes guys such as Rashid Khan, Kuldeep, Chahal, Bumrah, Boult, Cummins, Starc, Rabada, Hasan Ali, Hazlewood and Tahir. All of whom are A) excellent bowlers on the eye test, which shows the cream of the bowling crop still rises to the top and B) are generally either proper fast bowlers or wrist spinners - and when you have to either have real pace or some mystery in your attack this makes for more exciting cricket.

And I am not too bothered about the amount of runs scored, as the best ODIs are close ODIs regardless of how many runs are involved. The area I do have sympathy with bowlers is the boundary sizes - maybe it is has just exascerbated in this series as they are protecting the central wickets for the WC games, but some of boundaries have been unfairly small.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 19 May 2019, 5:06 pm

JDizzle wrote:The best bowlers are still the best bowlers as well - of the players with the 15 best bowling averages since the 2015 WC, this includes guys such as Rashid Khan, Kuldeep, Chahal, Bumrah, Boult, Cummins, Starc, Rabada, Hasan Ali, Hazlewood and Tahir. All of whom are A) excellent bowlers on the eye test, which shows the cream of the bowling crop still rises to the top and B) are generally either proper fast bowlers or wrist spinners - and when you have to either have real pace or some mystery in your attack this makes for more exciting cricket.

And I am not too bothered about the amount of runs scored, as the best ODIs are close ODIs regardless of how many runs are involved. The area I do have sympathy with bowlers is the boundary sizes - maybe it is has just exascerbated in this series as they are protecting the central wickets for the WC games, but some of boundaries have been unfairly small.

I was just going to make the point that what matters most to an interested and fairly neutral spectator is seeing a close contest. I do tend to think though that a tight finish will be more likely where there aren't too many runs about.

In Ireland's ODI atm - they were all out for 210 in the 49th, Afghanistan 103/5 in reply after 30. Sounds a cracker. However, not sure we can (or should) contrive things to make more games like that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Sun 19 May 2019, 5:20 pm

Everything going England's way in the field here.

Excellent preemption from Buttler but so unlucky for Sarfaz to fall just short of a deserved century. He was batting excellently.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Sun 19 May 2019, 5:37 pm

Rather surprised that Morgan didn't give Dawson ago instead of Moeen. Moeen scores no runs and takes no wickets, so there wouldn't have been much pressure on Dawson. Moeen averages 26 with bat and 49 with ball. Some all rounder...

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 19 May 2019, 5:40 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Rather surprised that Morgan didn't give Dawson ago instead of Moeen. Moeen scores no runs and takes no wickets, so there wouldn't have been much pressure on Dawson. Moeen averages 26 with bat and 49 with ball. Some all rounder...

Maybe something to do with him not being in the squad.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs on Sun 19 May 2019, 5:41 pm

Bayliss said he was going to add Dawson for the last two ODIs, he clearly thought Moeen deserves stealing a match fee

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sun 19 May 2019, 5:44 pm

Meanwhile, Ireland spoiled the potential tight finish by bowling Afghanistan out for 138 and winning by 72 runs. Off spinner McBrine opened the bowling and sent down his full allocation on the reel. Super Tredwellian figures of 10-4-17-0. clap Eat your heart out, Olly! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Sun 19 May 2019, 6:25 pm

Duty281 wrote:

They are, but of the 30 highest match aggregates recorded in ODI history, 20* have been in the last four and a bit years. There have also been 45 scores of 375 or more in ODI history - 24** of those have been in the last four and a bit years.

It's a worrying trend.

* 12 of these games have involved England.
** 5 of these 24 scores of 375+ have been registered by England.

Yeah its a bit of both, but it hasnt ruined the game. Theres still as many close ones when you look round the world. England are hugley dominant and still have a lot of games with twists and turns, the previous ODI certainly had its share.

Also harping back to batting approaches...England pretty much gunned from the off in this one, and ended up relying on the number 9 bat to get a touch passed what Pakistan scored in the previous one. I know I said I was making my last word about Babars century ... but cmon it really wasnt the reason they lost.

Pakistan tail seems determined to make sure Willey doesnt make the world cup. Makes picking Archer and Curran a bit easier for Bayliss.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Sun 19 May 2019, 6:25 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Meanwhile, Ireland spoiled the potential tight finish by bowling Afghanistan out for 138 and winning by 72 runs. Off spinner McBrine opened the bowling and sent down his full allocation on the reel. Super Tredwellian figures of 10-4-17-0. clap Eat your heart out, Olly! Smile

Low scoring games are ruining ODIS?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Sun 19 May 2019, 6:35 pm

4-0. Nice and neat. Woakes and Curran surely in the final squad.

England's last 20 ODIs in England (most recent first): WWWWWWLWWWWWWWWWLWWW (thanks to Cricviz).

It's coming home.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Sun 19 May 2019, 6:45 pm

When did Curran get this good at batting BTW? Although hes yet to get a 50 thats really because hes not had enough balls to face coming down the order so far. But he seems to have a real attitude in pressure situations that brings out the best in him. Englands total wasnt looking like being overly great till he let loose.
If he takes Plunkets place in the final squad then he covers the almost fast bowling and ability to make a difference batting 8/9 when things arent going well.

Good to see Woakes back to fitness.

Im kinda with Duty here and just see the stars aligning for England. Peaked too soon?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos on Sun 19 May 2019, 7:05 pm

It should be an interesting World Cup. England are deserved favourites but there are several dangerous sides.

I hope that the premier seamers such as Bumrah, Boult, Starc and Rabada have good tournaments as that would likely indicate there has been some interesting competition between bat and ball.

Kohli, Sharma and Dhawan
Williamson, Guptill and Taylor
De Kock and Du Plessis
Finch, Warner and Smith

There are going to be some powerful batting lineups that are capable of beating anyone when they get going.

In Starc and Cummins the Aussies have the potential to take key early wickets.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 on Sun 19 May 2019, 7:49 pm

Gooseberry wrote:When did Curran get this good at batting BTW? Although hes yet to get a 50 thats really because hes not had enough balls to face coming down the order so far. But he seems to have a real attitude in pressure situations that brings out the best in him. Englands total wasnt looking like being overly great till he let loose.
If he takes Plunkets place in the final squad then he covers the almost fast bowling and ability to make a difference batting 8/9 when things arent going well.

Good to see Woakes back to fitness.

Im kinda with Duty here and just see the stars aligning for England. Peaked too soon?

It would be a huge upset if we didn't make the semis from here. I doubt we'll go 10 from 10, but 7 or 8 from 10 should be enough to get us into the semi finals.

From there unfortunately it is a bit of a lottery. Home grounds but ICC pitches negates a touch of that home advantage we'll have and if we lose early wickets in either of the games then we could end up hoping for our lower-middle order or our bowlers to pull out a bit of a miracle.

However we're looking really strong at current in all areas. Woakes, Wood and Curran with a bit of Stokes would be a perfectly good seam attack but if Archer can develop through the pool stages as we hope then we could have an even stronger attack than expected.

This is probably the best chance we'll have of a World Cup in terms of pre-tournament odds for a long time. 5/2, with India at 3s and Australia at 4s and NZ and SA both wider at 10/1. Pakistan are out at 14s after that with West Indies 18s. Both teams have good records of belying their pre-tournament ranking by coming good at the right time. Everyone else is pretty much a no-hoper.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 19 May 2019, 11:20 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2019/05/19/david-willey-misfires-needed-performance-leave-world-cup-spot/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Good article here on David Willey and his slight regression over the past year or two - in particular this paragraph

“Yet as he has acquired pace, Willey has also shed a little of what made him so dangerous opening the bowling. His average swing in the first ten overs has fallen 25 per cent from 2015 to 2019, according to CricViz. From taking nine wickets at 17.6 apiece in the Powerplay in 2015, he has taken five at 73.2 since 2018. He has also lacked venom in the middle overs; he has taken a solitary wicket while conceding 196 runs in this phase of the game since 2017.”

He misses out in my final 15 I’m afraid.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 19 May 2019, 11:22 pm

Good to see Sir Chris doing what he does in ODIs today

As for the World Cup itself - making the semi finals should be relatively comfortable...(he says sheepishly!), but from there on as we saw in the champions trophy it is ultimately a lottery. Whatever happens though, it’s been fantastic to see the journey and team they’ve become since that torrid 2015 tournament
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Mon 20 May 2019, 7:44 am

robbo277 wrote:This is probably the best chance we'll have of a World Cup in terms of pre-tournament odds for a long time. 5/2, with India at 3s and Australia at 4s and NZ and SA both wider at 10/1. Pakistan are out at 14s after that with West Indies 18s. Both teams have good records of belying their pre-tournament ranking by coming good at the right time. Everyone else is pretty much a no-hoper.

5/2 is ridiculously generous. England should be in the evens-11/10 ballpark. I'm surprised the West Indies are so short; I'd have them as 100/1 because, really, they have precious little chance. Pakistan are probably worth a nibble at (best price) 18s.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 20 May 2019, 7:37 pm

England squad leaked as

Squad will be

Roy
Bairstow
Vince
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Dawson
Archer
Curran
Plunkett
Wood
Rashid

Willey and Denly miss out
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 20 May 2019, 7:55 pm

Cheers, Olly. That's the squad I would have chosen - ie Willey and Denly miss out. However, I do feel Archer and Dawson should have been given (more) opportunity in the Pakistan series to prove me right and themselves worth the expectation.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Mon 20 May 2019, 8:08 pm

That's the squad I would have picked, so all is sound.

My first XI would be: Roy, Bairstow, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Curran, Rashid, Woakes, Archer.

Can't see Dawson getting much game time, and Plunkett's a little out of form. Wood and Vince offer enticing back-up options should England need a shake-up/injury strikes at any point.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 20 May 2019, 9:09 pm

Englands fixtures are:
South Africa
Pakistan
Bangladesh
West Indies
Afghanistan
Sri Lanka
Australia
India
New Zealand

So Id expect to see a first choice side out first up. Im thinking the same as Duty, except Woakes batting 8. Its an insanely strong tail, despite all 4 of those getting on on the strength of their bowling not as all rounders.
After the opener theres more scope for rotation and experimentation. Certainly all the seamers are going to get used, and we might even see Stokes rested at some point and 3 spinners used.
Ending with 3 tough fixtures (including the second and third favourites) means there will be some drama left regardless of how well they start. Injuries will have started to hit squads by that point. I feel England are better placed to weather those, certainly with seam bowlers, than others but they absolutely will need to use all those fast bowlers to keep the front 4 fit for the crunch games.
Its going to be a hell of a long tournament, over 6 weeks. Im already fatigued from the amount of warm up games played off the back of the Windies tour.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 20 May 2019, 9:21 pm

That leaked squad is certainly no mean batting line up with pretty much everyone in first eleven capable of scoring very quick runs.

As a Surrey supporter I find it encouraging that Tom Curran has done well recently - his batting for England has looked a fair bit better than his batting for Surrey.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 20 May 2019, 10:30 pm

One little thing thats nagged... the other day Bayliss said there were 20 players who deserved a spot. The 15 selected obviously, plus Wiley, Denly and I guess Jordan makes 18. Hales 19?
But whos the 20th? Foakes? Malan?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 20 May 2019, 11:56 pm

Gooseberry wrote:One little thing thats nagged... the other day Bayliss said there were 20 players who deserved a spot. The 15 selected obviously, plus Wiley, Denly and I guess Jordan makes 18. Hales 19?

Come on, goose. A cynic like you should know it's whoever Bayliss is talking to in private at the time. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 21 May 2019, 8:14 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:One little thing thats nagged... the other day Bayliss said there were 20 players who deserved a spot. The 15 selected obviously, plus Wiley, Denly and I guess Jordan makes 18. Hales 19?

Come on, goose. A cynic like you should know it's whoever Bayliss is talking to in private at the time. Wink

Probably Phil "cough" Salt

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Tue 21 May 2019, 8:36 am

Gooseberry wrote:Englands fixtures are:
South Africa
Pakistan
Bangladesh
West Indies
Afghanistan
Sri Lanka
Australia
India
New Zealand

Its going to be a hell of a long tournament, over 6 weeks. Im already fatigued from the amount of warm up games played off the back of the Windies tour.

Quite like that run of fixtures. Playing Australia and India first up could have left England 0-2 and with serious pressure on against the lesser teams; as it is, qualification should be virtually secured by the time they play the fellow heavyweight teams of Australia and India in the group.

Agree about the length of the contest, and it's the main reason why I don't think the World Cup will be successful. The last two Champions Trophy tournaments have been deemed successful, and it only took 18 days to get through from start to end. 6 weeks to cover 48 games is far too elongated.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Tue 21 May 2019, 8:46 am

Gooseberry wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Probably Phil "cough" Salt

Laugh

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 21 May 2019, 8:49 am

Duty281 wrote:
South Africa
Pakistan
Bangladesh
West Indies
Afghanistan
Sri Lanka
Australia
India
New Zealand

Quite like that run of fixtures. Playing Australia and India first up could have left England 0-2 and with serious pressure on against the lesser teams; as it is, qualification should be virtually secured by the time they play the fellow heavyweight teams of Australia and India in the group.

Agree about the length of the contest, and it's the main reason why I don't think the World Cup will be successful. The last two Champions Trophy tournaments have been deemed successful, and it only took 18 days to get through from start to end. 6 weeks to cover 48 games is far too elongated.

Concur with your comments on how the schedule lines up for England - albeit either way they should qualify and finish top 4.

Also agree about the length of the tournament! There is a real chance a lot of those games in the latter half of the group stage mean nothing too, with teams knocked out etc. As has been discussed on here, just a dreadful format
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 21 May 2019, 8:52 am

https://twitter.com/tickerscricket/status/1130742332222005248
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 21 May 2019, 9:20 am

The downside of that schedule is it means England will likely be facing teams who all have something to play for in every fixture, except possibly NZ.
West Indies are one youd rather get later on ... Gayle has shown hes hugely dangerous when he feels he has a point to prove, his return to ODIs has been pretty incredible really. But hes also still a fat lazy old egotist, and if/when they are out as with a few others in that side will be more interested in enjoying the local bars/women and signing autographs than the tedious business of fielding or running walking between the wickets.

Re: Ollys link ... another thing to pick up from that is just how many ODIs England have played in that period (ie more than anyone else). That traditionally hasnt been the case for England, and partly explains how we have so many caps in the side without a 90 year old Dhoni/Gayle. It also shows just how much focus has been put on international cricket and building on the success of 2015 in ODIs the ECB have made. Treating T20 as an absolute sideshow is a conscious choice driven by Bayliss too.
If they do go to the final then England will have played a truly absurd number in a 4 year period, certainly more than they have ever played before.

I don't think theres any scheduled in until the winter tours though is there? Its likely we will see a lot of new faces given a chance there and the three format folk like Stokes rested.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 21 May 2019, 9:28 am

Gooseberry wrote:The downside of that schedule is it means England will likely be facing teams who all have something to play for in every fixture, except possibly NZ.
West Indies are one youd rather get later on ... Gayle has shown hes hugely dangerous when he feels he has a point to prove, his return to ODIs has been pretty incredible really. But hes also still a fat lazy old egotist, and if/when they are out as with a few others in that side will be more interested in enjoying the local bars/women and signing autographs than the tedious business of fielding or running walking between the wickets.

Re: Ollys link ... another thing to pick up from that is just how many ODIs England have played in that period (ie more than anyone else). That traditionally hasnt been the case for England, and partly explains how we have so many caps in the side without a 90 year old Dhoni/Gayle. It also shows just how much focus has been put on international cricket and building on the success of 2015 in ODIs the ECB have made. Treating T20 as an absolute sideshow is a conscious choice driven by Bayliss too.
If they do go to the final then  England will have played a truly absurd number in a 4 year period, certainly more than they have ever played before.

I don't think theres any scheduled in until the winter tours though is there? Its likely we will see a lot of new faces given a chance there and the three format folk like Stokes rested.

Only 3 ODIs in South Africa currently scheduled - none for New Zealand or Sri Lanka (we have 5 (!) T20's scheduled for New Zealand...)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 21 May 2019, 9:51 am

The T20s kinda makes sense with that world cup coming up in Oct 2020.
The next major ODI competition is 2021, so I guess next summers schedule will be something like 3 ODIs and 3 T20s for the visiting sides.

Phil salt should definitely be ready by then!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 on Tue 21 May 2019, 10:11 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
South Africa
Pakistan
Bangladesh
West Indies
Afghanistan
Sri Lanka
Australia
India
New Zealand

Concur with your comments on how the schedule lines up for England - albeit either way they should qualify and finish top 4.

Also agree about the length of the tournament! There is a real chance a lot of those games in the latter half of the group stage mean nothing too, with teams knocked out etc. As has been discussed on here, just a dreadful format

Yeah the schedule is quite nice for England. It will allow us to rotate the team in the opening weeks (especially those 3 games in the middle) and ensure any niggles are properly rested. We've just beaten Pakistan 4-0 rotating players throughout the series, so other than South Africa we can probably use any permutation from within our 15 and be relatively comfortable in any of those first 7 fixtures.

By the time the Australia game comes around, we'll have a better idea of how Archer has gone across 10 overs and whether he is the real deal or we're better of with Wood starting. We may have secured qualification by then, but regardless we can settle in on a starting XI at that stage and look to carry some form from those games into the finals.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 on Tue 21 May 2019, 10:43 am

Didn't actually realise until now, but England have two more 'warm-up' games before the World Cup starts - against Australia on Saturday and Afghanistan on Monday. How much warmer do they need to be?!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 21 May 2019, 10:45 am

WTF really?
Think the bank account needs warming! That does kinda make more sense of the Archer /Dawson lack of game time

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 21 May 2019, 10:55 am

Duty281 wrote:Didn't actually realise until now, but England have two more 'warm-up' games before the World Cup starts - against Australia on Saturday and Afghanistan on Monday. How much warmer do they need to be?!

And Jimbo won't be happy...as it has been confirmed both Vince and Dawson miss the one day cup final due to that game against Australia.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum