The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Italy Match Build Up Thread

+32
Heaf
Scottrf
EnglishReign
Yoda
Ricardo74
SecretFly
RDW
Cyril
mikey_dragon
king_carlos
Sgt_Pooly
Cumbrian
Poorfour
George Carlin
Collapse2005
Sharkey06
lostinwales
LordDowlais
BamBam
TightHEAD
No9
Geordie
Mr Bounce
majesticimperialman
robbo277
WELL-PAST-IT
Rugby Fan
No 7&1/2
maestegmafia
compelling and rich
LondonTiger
yappysnap
36 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

England v Italy Match Build Up Thread - Page 7 Empty England v Italy Match Build Up Thread

Post by yappysnap Mon 04 Mar 2019, 1:39 am

First topic message reminder :

Date: Sat 9th March
Time: 16.45
Venue: TWICKENHAM Stadium, London
Referee: Nic Berry (Australia) ((Who???))

England starting XV (472 caps)

15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 28 caps), 14 Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 3 caps), 13 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 30 caps), 12 Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors 16 caps), 11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 43 caps), 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 68 caps) (captain), 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 83 caps), 1 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 7 caps)  , 2 Jamie George (Saracens, 35 caps), 3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 20 caps), 4 Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 56 caps), 5 George Kruis (Saracens, 30 caps), 6 Brad Shields (Wasps, 6 caps), 7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 8 caps), 8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 39 caps)

Finishers (203 caps)

16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 9 caps), 17 Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs, 6 caps), 18 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 83 caps), 19 Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 20 caps), 20 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 11 caps), 21 Dan Robson (Wasps, 1 cap), 22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 53 caps), 23 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 20 caps)

Italy squad for England:

15 Jayden HAYWARD (Benetton Rugby, 15 caps)
14 Edoardo PADOVANI (Zebre Rugby Club, 18 caps)*
13 Luca MORISI (Benetton Rugby, 23 caps)*
12 Michele CAMPAGNARO (Wasps, 41 caps)*
11 Angelo ESPOSITO (Benetton Rugby, 18 caps)
10 Tommaso ALLAN (Benetton Rugby, 46 caps)
9  Tito TEBALDI (Benetton Rugby, 30 caps) 
8 Sergio PARISSE (Stade Francais, 136 caps) – capitano
7 Abraham Jurgens STEYN (Benetton Rugby, 28 caps)
6 Sebastian NEGRI (Benetton Rugby, 14 caps)
5 Dean BUDD (Benetton Rugby, 19 caps)
4 Federico RUZZA (Benetton Rugby, 10 caps)*
3 Simone FERRARI (Benetton Rugby, 20 caps)
2 Luca BIGI (Benetton Rugby, 17 caps)
1 Andrea LOVOTTI (Zebre Rugby Club, 32 caps)*

A disposizione:
16 Leonardo GHIRALDINI (Stade Toulousian, 102 caps)
17 Cherif TRAORE' (Benetton Rugby, 8 caps)*
18 Tiziano PASQUALI (Benetton Rugby, 16 caps)
19 David SISI (Zebre Rugby Club, 3 cap)
20 Jake POLLEDRI (Gloucester Rugby, 6 caps)
21 Guglielmo PALAZZANI (Zebre Rugby Club, 30 caps)
22 Ian MCKINLEY (Benetton Rugby, 7 caps) 
23 Tommaso CASTELLO (Zebre Rugby Club, 17 caps)

So after the come down of losing to Wales in Cardiff, England now have Italy at home as a chance to get the chariot back on track. Bonus points so far mean they are in with a good shout of a tournament win even if the GS and Triple Crown are out the window. They'll want to test out a few fringe players, avoid injuries and get the full 5 points from this fixture.

Italy so far look poor, they've yet to get a win and if history means anything will have to wait another week too. But anything can happen, they often make England work hard for any points and can catch the English off guard sometimes, dragging them into a scrap that suits the Azzurri. Get ready for another long afternoon of certain hosts and pundits gushing over Parisse as he gets in the way of everything good the Italians try, but looks so good doing it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

England v Italy Match Build Up Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: England v Italy Match Build Up Thread

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 10 Mar 2019, 12:04 pm

I like'd it when he (WoodWard) was asked does EJ take cockasniga to the RWC and does he start him ahead of Jack Nowel, Chris Ashton. and woodward yest he does.

Surely he Cocasinga need a lot more game time before that decision is made a certainty.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

England v Italy Match Build Up Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: England v Italy Match Build Up Thread

Post by robbo277 Sun 10 Mar 2019, 12:10 pm

I think Woodward says he starts a World Cup quarterfinal if it were next week? It would be a tough call, and one we thankfully don't have to make for 6 months (all going well in the pools!)

There are actually 9 more games before a potential quarter final in which we could find out about Cokanasiga. I'd start him against Scotland, then we have the 4 warm up games where he'll probably get a couple of appearances and then see how the pool stages develop. If he makes the 31 he'll probably start either of the first two, and if he plays well he could get the nod for Argentina.

Whether Joe is the right man is one question, but one thing not in question is that the 14 shirt is definitely up for grabs.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 10 Mar 2019, 3:34 pm

EnglishReign wrote:I don’t think anyone can disagree that England have played the best rugby this 6N - we’ve been as good as I can remember for many years.

Saying that, we still have to win when it matters and we didn’t do that in Cardiff. Wales have laboured to victories somewhat but can’t really argue with it if they get the GS. I still won’t be too concerned about England if that happens, I’m very happy with our performances this campaign and it’s looking good for Japan.

Agree with this. When England are on-form, as they were against Ireland in Dublin, they have the ability to beat any team in the world, which bodes well for the World Cup. The trouble is, England also have the knack of throwing in something completely garbage along the way - the second half against the Welsh, one half against South Africa, parts of the game against the Japanese, for instance. If England can channel the consistency they found during 2016/17, they will be real contenders for the greatest prize.

This year's Six Nations has undoubtedly been a step forward for England, with greater consistency in selection and fewer question marks over certain positions. I'm not expecting a WC win, but a deep run and some attacking rugby along the way would be just the ticket.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 10 Mar 2019, 4:40 pm

An Ireland bonus point win against France is probably the best outcome for England in today's game. Having Ireland in the title hunt might give them extra motivation. Our equation doesn't change either way, but it gives Ireland more to reason to fight.

We're going to finish today with:
Wales 16
England 15
Ireland 14

Even if Ireland take a bonus point win in Cardiff, points difference is so far in our favour (about +50) that any win from there would do it for us.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 10 Mar 2019, 5:02 pm

Yeah pretty much perfect result for England. Game over early some early subs to keep a few fresher.
Given they have a day less recovery. Hopefully Ireland go on and beat the welsh next week.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7