The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+18
westisbest
Eyetoldyouso
Be_the_ball
Diggers
superflyweight
Shotrock
I'm never wrong
Roller_Coaster
navyblueshorts
JAS
NedB-H
pedro
kwinigolfer
beninho
McLaren
Davie
super_realist
dynamark
22 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Tue 26 Feb 2019, 5:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

I think its a done deal -no doubt he will be sat with the owner tonight
Villa should be a big big club remember going to cup semis there but probably need an owner willing to throw in some quick money .
No messing around in football these days from any of the owners.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 May 2019, 10:23 pm

I reckon Klopp would take the Champions League over the Prem.
Wonder if Anfield would? (They'll probably have to.)

There are going to be some team selection issues come Madrid . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Wed 08 May 2019, 7:10 am

If lfc dont win the prem with 97 points snd 1 loss. I really hope they win the champs league.

Klopp has never lost a 2 leg knockout in the ucl. Think I heard them say that. This liverpool team are pretty special.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 08 May 2019, 7:36 am

Be_the_ball wrote:
super_realist wrote:Looks like Liverpool will continue to live in the past.

Well that aged well Shocked

I am talking about the league obviously.
Can you really see Man City not beating Brighton?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 08 May 2019, 8:00 am

Obviously?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 08 May 2019, 8:20 am

super_realist wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:

No, League all but wrapped up now. But a great turn around in the CL for Liverpool all the same, you'd almost feel happy for them............. If it wasn't for their insufferable fans.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 08 May 2019, 8:36 am

Be_the_ball wrote:

ha ha

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 08 May 2019, 8:41 am

Likely 97 points and one league defeat. Second champs league final in a row.

Liverpool, still living in the past...obviously.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 08 May 2019, 9:33 am

There was a charity match a couple of weeks ago for an Irish Liverpool fan Sean Cox who suffered a brain injury having been attacked by a Roma fan outside Anfield earlier this year. The match was held in the Aviva stadium, Liverpool legends v's Ireland legends. Anyway there were a few interviews with the players and one was with Steve McManaman, he told a story about his first year at Real Madrid and winning the Champions League. Robbie Fowler and his mate who was a painter and decorator went over to Madrid for the celebrations and McManaman threw them both a white t-shirt and brought them both onto the Open Top bus. So as they were traveling around Madrid on this bus, a bunch of English people noticed Robbie and started singing "There's only one Robbie Fowler"! Laugh Laugh Laugh  Classic!

Its a pretty funny interview, some classic stories and Kenny Cunningham talks about his attempts at marking McManaman during his Wimbledon days. Worth a watch.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 08 May 2019, 9:41 am

Be_the_ball wrote:

Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 08 May 2019, 10:31 am

Be_the_ball wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:

No, League all but wrapped up now. But a great turn around in the CL for Liverpool all the same, you'd almost feel happy for them............. If it wasn't for their insufferable fans.
Rolling Eyes Typical football supporter remark. What is it that you find so insufferable? Evidence would good...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 08 May 2019, 10:54 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Typical football supporter remark. What is it that you find so insufferable? Evidence would good...

Jeez - where to start!

Don't tell me you haven't heard them bleating "it's our year" for about the last 20 years now? Or raising pointless and puerile petitions to get players banned who dared to transgress against their precious sensibilities while ignoring their own faults.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 08 May 2019, 11:13 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:

Rolling Eyes Typical football supporter remark. What is it that you find so insufferable? Evidence would good...

You don't know any Irish Liverpool supporters then Navy? I absolutely have no problem with Liverpool fans from Liverpool being passionate about their club, but when Irish people start getting shirty about the teams they follow and their rivals, I find that insufferable. Anyway, taking nothing away from a brilliant achievement clap

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 08 May 2019, 11:32 am

That 4th goal was a thing of beauty .What a piece of work and a tribute to concentration.Seen it several times and everyone except the 2 players involved had switched off which is incredible for highly paid professionals in that situation.
I'm not a fan of either club but lets see if Spurs can do a job.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 08 May 2019, 1:11 pm

Definitely hats off to Liverpool, I wonder if they saw Supers “living in the past” quote and used it as motivation :-p

With regard to the league, their current points total would have won them the league in 21 of the past 23 seasons, a point at the weekend will make it 22. Says a lot about how consistent Man City have been. The gap between 2nd and 3rd also speaks volumes.

I do remember saying when Fergie was retiring that United should have gone for Klopp (who was still at Dortmund at the time) a Man U mate of mine said “Nah, Moyes is a much safer option, he knows our league and Fergie rates him” Hmmmmm right, good call!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 08 May 2019, 4:20 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:

You don't know any Irish Liverpool supporters then Navy? I absolutely have no problem with Liverpool fans from Liverpool being passionate about their club, but when Irish people start getting shirty about the teams they follow and their rivals, I find that insufferable. Anyway, taking nothing away from a brilliant achievement clap
Presumably, you apply the same logic to every other sporting team and any 'fans' outside of their home city?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 08 May 2019, 4:21 pm

Davie wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Typical football supporter remark. What is it that you find so insufferable? Evidence would good...

Jeez - where to start!

Don't tell me you haven't heard them bleating "it's our year" for about the last 20 years now? Or raising pointless and puerile petitions to get players banned who dared to transgress against their precious sensibilities while ignoring their own faults.
Wow. Amazing. So, much the same as everyone else then?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 08 May 2019, 4:25 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Wow. Amazing. So, much the same as everyone else then?

I've never heard any other team proclaim it's "their year" every year for so long. But you asked for evidence of what makes them insufferable to people and I told you my reasons. You may not agree but I answered your question

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 May 2019, 5:58 pm

beninho wrote:53points and 17th. I'll take that as a pretty successful season. Now lets see if Qpr nab our manager.

It looks as if QPR helped you dodge a bullet, ben.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 08 May 2019, 10:11 pm

Hahaha that's the best comeback I've seen in the past 23 hours. This is mental!! Laugh Laugh Laugh

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 08 May 2019, 10:15 pm

I quite like spurs. What a comeback. All 4 teams in European cup finals to ve English?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 May 2019, 7:48 am

Davie wrote:Obviously?

Yeah, obviously as it was posted before the Barcelona game.

Shame on Ajax, after all they've done in the competition it's a shame we ended up with two teams from the same country, always takes a bit of the glamour from a final.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 09 May 2019, 7:58 am

super_realist wrote:

Exactly. Now you are trying a Mac-like dodge of mega proportions

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 May 2019, 8:03 am

Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Exactly. Now you are trying a Mac-like dodge of mega proportions

Not dodging at all, I clearly posted before the Champions League match, just the day after the Kompany bullet.
Sounds more like you are doing a Mac and trying to shoehorn my comment into something I wasn't referring to.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 09 May 2019, 8:40 am

You don't like Liverpool and their fans so used it as a way to shoehorn in your strange views that they are living in the past. Weirdly, you have mentioned living in the past is not forgetting Hillsborough.

You tried to make a dig, but either forgot they were in the champs league semi, you're not really a football fan so I understand that.

But, it all backfired, and makes you look a bit daft. You really should keep you terrible football opinions to yourself.

Have a good day,

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 09 May 2019, 9:13 am

Ironically when the country is in the process of trying to leave Europe, footie teams have found their inner remainer!!

Super you’ve done a grand job of trying to belittle English football and they’ve responded magnificently. Can you please for next season put a bit more effort into slagging off Scottish football (yes I know you already do but you need to be more vociferous about how rubbish they are) Scottish football needs to up its coefficient ;-)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 09 May 2019, 11:21 am

Our hero JC on TV right now launching his Euro election.Mixing domestic and European stuff to push for another election.Anyone would think we were living in dark ages listening to him.
Danny Baker-,what a complete fool another example of twitter madness.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 May 2019, 6:24 pm

beninho wrote:You don't like Liverpool and their fans so used it as a way to shoehorn in your strange views that they are living in the past. Weirdly, you have mentioned living in the past is not forgetting Hillsborough.

You tried to make a dig, but either forgot they were in the champs league semi, you're not really a football fan so I understand that.

But, it all backfired, and makes you look a bit daft. You really should keep you terrible football opinions to yourself.

Have a good day,

EVERY football team with an illustrious past tends to look back to that era, which in some way holds them back. Liverpool, due to their lengthy drought of League victories means they do it more visibly than some others.

I don't begrudge them their current revival, although I seriously doubt they'll win the league this year, and if they don't win it this year, Can you see when they will? Who's to say that their form this year isn't just another Leicester blip?

For the record, I think Klopp is the most likeable manager in the league, whilst he signed the very impressive Robertson, who I think is the most under reported and over-looked member of that team. Can you imagine if Robertson was English? They would be spunking their pants and putting a £100m tag on him. When you consider Shaw and Walker have had absurdly high price tags and neither of them has been anything like as good as Robertson this season (or last) it shows how being English adds a premium to your value.

JAS, there's pretty much nothing that Scotland and their pitiful league can do to drag themselves out of their self inflicted mire. Being ranked 20th in Europe alongside the likes of Serbia, Belarus, Norway and Sweden shows just how bad it is, and it's only likely to go one way with their inability to make any European progress. Down.
I would suggest that Scotland move to summer football, this might present more opportunity for TV coverage and thus perhaps a bit more cash, whilst they might be better suited to European qualification as they'd already be in the midst of a season and up to speed. It's not like Scotland will have a major tournament to attend, so what have they got to lose? Why would you want to watch a match in Aberdeen, Dingwall, Perth, Dundee etc in Dec, Jan or Feb when you could be watching in June, July or August?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 09 May 2019, 8:33 pm

super_realist wrote:the very impressive Robertson, who I think is the most under reported and over-looked member of that team.

Further proof you don't follow football in social media (which TBF may not be a bad thing).

Robertson has been getting rave reviews and is currently considered the best left(?) back in the world. If that's under reported I don't know what you're expecting

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 May 2019, 7:48 am

Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:the very impressive Robertson, who I think is the most under reported and over-looked member of that team.

Further proof you don't follow football in social media (which TBF may not be a bad thing).

Robertson has been getting rave reviews and is currently considered the best left(?) back in the world. If that's under reported I don't know what you're expecting

Read again.

I'm talking about the column inches that he gets in comparison to Van Dijk, Mane and Salah (and even TAA), where in fact I think he's every bit as crucial a player to that side as any of them. His work rate and assists being proof of that.
Mind you, Milner rarely gets mentioned either.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 10 May 2019, 7:58 am

More a case of VvD, Mane, TAA etc. being over reported

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 May 2019, 8:12 am

Left backs rarely get overly mentioned. But I have heard him get lots of praise from journos and on the radio. I do think taa is better,but maybe not as defensive. The most under reported player is the keeper. He has made such a change and been very good.

Remember when Brazilian keepers were laughing stocks, now look at ederson and allison. Both brilliant as sweeper keepers.

Full bscks and keepers have changed so much in football over recent years.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 May 2019, 9:25 am

Robertson, Milner, VvD are the back bone if the team. Bar VvD, they don’t get as much hype as Salah, Mane etc., but are every bit as crucial.

I agree with super the that the perceived price tag on Robertson would be twice as high if he was English.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 May 2019, 9:29 am

beninho wrote:If lfc dont win the prem with 97 points snd 1 loss. I really hope they win the champs league.

Klopp has never lost a 2 leg knockout in the ucl. Think I heard them say that. This liverpool team are pretty special.
The LFC-ManC tie in January turned out to be crucial, with LFC very unlucky to lose that game.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 May 2019, 9:32 am

If Liverpool put robertson up for sale, they would as at least 70m. I doubt him being english would make him 140m.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 May 2019, 9:33 am

super_realist wrote:

Shame on Ajax, after all they've done in the competition it's a shame we ended up with two teams from the same country, always takes a bit of the glamour from a final.
Agree about teams from the same country in the finals. Whilst it underlines the current strength of the EPL, it doesn’t feel like “proper” European finals. Felt the same way both times Atletico played Real.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 May 2019, 2:25 pm

Robertson is very good but Alexander Arnold is going to be the best right back since Dani Alves in his prime. Arnold was setting the tempo and controlling the a game vs Barca from right back. His passing is unreal.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 10 May 2019, 3:10 pm

Just think it's ridiculous that Chelsea and Arsenal only getting 6,000 tickets each in a stadium that holds over 68,000. I know it's a difficult place to go to, but someone on Talksport suggested that UEFA increase the clubs allocation and arrange charter flights for the fans.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2019, 3:16 pm

McLaren wrote:Robertson is very good but Alexander Arnold is going to be the best right back since Dani Alves in his prime. Arnold was setting the tempo and controlling the a game vs Barca from right back. His passing is unreal.

But Robertson's defensive positioning is outstanding, as well as his crossing. TAA hasn't got a clue defensively; both way too one-footed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 10 May 2019, 3:54 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
McLaren wrote:Robertson is very good but Alexander Arnold is going to be the best right back since Dani Alves in his prime. Arnold was setting the tempo and controlling the a game vs Barca from right back. His passing is unreal.

But Robertson's defensive positioning is outstanding, as well as his crossing. TAA hasn't got a clue defensively; both way too one-footed.
Quite. TAA's primary role is defensive. If he can do that and the offensive stuff, great. If not, he shouldn't be at RB.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 May 2019, 4:02 pm

When your right back can ping passes about like iniesta don't worry too much about defensive positioning, anyone can learn that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 May 2019, 4:12 pm

Full backs main jobs now are not defensive. I heard a description this morning, that a full back spends most of his time in a position tge old right midfielder in a 442 would be. They have to be offensive players.

How many defenders play full back now at the highest level.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 10 May 2019, 4:25 pm

McLaren wrote:When your right back can ping passes about like iniesta don't worry too much about defensive positioning, anyone can learn that.
picard Yep. That's why there are sooo many good defenders around I guess. Easy game.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 10 May 2019, 4:29 pm

beninho wrote:Full backs main jobs now are not defensive. I heard a description this morning, that a full back spends most of his time in a position tge old right midfielder in a 442 would be. They have to be offensive players.

How many defenders play full back now at the highest level.
Both teams can't always be on the offensive, by definition. If your team is on the rack, with the other side clearly in the ascendency, you'd better hope your FBs can actually defend. Sure, other players can sub in when the FB is going forward, but personally I'd kind of like my FB to know how to defend properly first and foremost. TAA may well spend most of his future career as a right-sided midfielder.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 May 2019, 4:47 pm

You don't really have right sided midfielders because the full backs play in that position.

Average teams need defenders at full back. Good teams can use attacking players, as they are not usually used to defend. Or have a less attacking option available. Liverpool played Gomez at rb in Barcelona. Didn't work out though!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 10 May 2019, 6:54 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Just think it's ridiculous that Chelsea and Arsenal only getting 6,000 tickets each in a stadium that holds over 68,000. I know it's a difficult place to go to, but someone on Talksport suggested that UEFA increase the clubs allocation and arrange charter flights for the fans.

Should just play both finals at Wembley as all English clubs.
Shame they couldn’t do that.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 10 May 2019, 9:04 pm

westy I agree would be good but it will never happen these things are global events planned years in advance.Wouldnt be surprised to find that Baku have paid a substantial sum to have it there a bit like F1

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 May 2019, 10:51 pm

Staging the EL final in Baku will grow football in Azerbaijan just as little as Sabbatini will grow golf in Slovakia.

It is the European equivalent of the WC in Qatar. Dirty money.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 May 2019, 3:17 pm

Choice of ten games to watch; can't choose either Man City or Liverpool so the best of the rest, in 2019 anyway, Leicester it is. Dyna will have plenty to shout about next season, I'm sure.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 May 2019, 4:23 pm

McLaren wrote:When your right back can ping passes about like iniesta don't worry too much about defensive positioning, anyone can learn that.

If it was that easy, surely Man United would have bought it?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 13 May 2019, 8:12 am

pedro wrote:Staging the EL final in Baku will grow football in Azerbaijan just as little as Sabbatini will grow golf in Slovakia.

It is the European equivalent of the WC in Qatar. Dirty money.

Dirty money? Prove it.
Azerbaijan is a country experiencing massive growth, why shouldn't it host it? It's only the EL for goodness sake.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next