The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

+26
Pot Hale
Mad for Chelsea
LondonTiger
bico
R!skysports
Dollar Bill
Anglobraveheart
Welly
Tramptastic
TheMildlyFranticLlama
cakeordeath
funnyExiledScot
EST
TJ
NeilyBroon
BigGee
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
demosthenes
Eejit
EWT Spoons
bsando
George Carlin
RDW
tigertattie
30 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 18 Empty Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

With the woes and injuries in the international camp just depressing us, lets look back to the club game.

Possible areas of discussion:
Edinburgh continue to hold the 1872 trophy
Edinburgh are getting a new ground
Edinburgh have a home Euro Champs cup game to look forward to
Edinburgh have a league fixture against the perpetual point givers, Glasgow, to look forward to
BigGee’s proposed Scotland XV for England has 8 Edinburgh players, 4 exiles and 3 Glasgow players so even the International team is starting to look representative of where rugby in Scotland truly exists.
It’s not all bad for Glasgow though as they sit above Munster in the Pro 14 and have Stafford McDowell on their books
Edinburgh have Hamish Watson though
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 18 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by RDW Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:32 am

I know people are often guilty of elevating Super Rugby on a higher pedestal at the expense of our own game, but that the fact he was first choice 9 for a SR team who just missed out on the playoffs suggests that he's going to be a huge step up from Fowles and Kennedy! With that pedigree he should be a step up from Pyrgos too, although I'm sure it will take time for him to bed in.

Also, more top teams have controlling 9s than attacking ones - Glasgow are fairly unique in the style of 9 that they have, and that suits their style of play. Whilst we want a 9 who has an attacking threat, it's not like we're going to start tapping penalties from everywhere.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 18 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:13 am

RDW wrote:I know people are often guilty of elevating Super Rugby on a higher pedestal at the expense of our own game, but that the fact he was first choice 9 for a SR team who just missed out on the playoffs suggests that he's going to be a huge step up from Fowles and Kennedy! With that pedigree he should be a step up from Pyrgos too, although I'm sure it will take time for him to bed in.

Also, more top teams have controlling 9s than attacking ones - Glasgow are fairly unique in the style of 9 that they have, and that suits their style of play. Whilst we want a 9 who has an attacking threat, it's not like we're going to start tapping penalties from everywhere.

I tapped a penalty once.

Playing second row at the time, was from just outside the 22.

Madness eh!

Scored a try though! We were playing down at bigger who had a wallow instead of a pitch. I had the full back to beat, I was large, he wasnt! Being a brave fullback though, he planted his feet and got ready for the david vs goliath collision that was anticipated. Me though, being a player blessed more with cerebral prowess rather than physical ability, dove from over 5 metres out and went skitin along the mud through the fullback's legs and over the line.

Epic try celebrated by all involved Yahoo  except my mother who had to wash my kit Doh
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:53 pm

Alex Dunbar signs for Brive in the Top 14 for a year.

A chance to get his career back on track in the sun down in France. Good luck to him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:59 pm

BigGee wrote:Alex Dunbar signs for Brive in the Top 14 for a year.

A chance to get his career back on track in the sun down in France. Good luck to him.

I hope he at least gets some good club time under his belt before retirement, it'd be a shame for his career to fizzle out given his prominence for Glasgow and Scotland over the years.

Also hopefully he'll be getting a decent package with Brive too.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:52 am

Forgot that Brive got promoted - good luck to them and the Mighty Eck.

Weird to see Perpignan relegated. They were always so huge when I was a kid and I was delighted that Chris Cusiter won the Top 14 with them.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:06 pm

jamie Bhattie sounding less than enthusiastic about his move to Edinburgh in the press this morning - he has a point given that he became Glasgow's #1 loosehead for the end of season run in!

*queue lots of jokes about why else he's less than enthusiastic about Edinburgh*

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:35 pm

I can see why he is less than chuffed.

He's going to be sitting on the bench a lot while Shoey getts 78 mins of rugby each week.

Given how weak the Weedge forwards are in general, he may even find he doesnt even get onto the bench all that often!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:18 pm

DR did not seem to get JB did he, but maybe he made his mind up a bit to soon as he was playing well again towards the end of the season. DR seemingly likes his props a bit better with the ball in hand and Bhatti has the habit of dropping it a bit to often when under pressure.

Still Cockers must have made the right noises to hi though, maybe he said that he would be subbing Shoey at 70 mins instead of at 75 for the season coming up!

It was a surprising move though as Edinburgh don't seem to be short of LH props and Shoey is not going to be playing any international rugby any time soon. It will be interesting to see how it works out for him.

On the subject of LHs though, still no word on where Gordie Reid might be playing next season?

Being in the Scotland squad is probably doing him no favours in that regard as no one is going to be looking for a prop who may end up missing a good chunk of the early season. If he does not make the final cut for Toonie's squad, you still might fancy him coming back to Glasgow on a short term deal.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Could Gordie be retiring after the world cup (if he makes the squad)?

Its certianly a tough one for him to be looking for a club when they know he's going to be AWOL
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:52 pm

GR seems a bit young to be retiring, he came to the pro game later than some and should really have a few years (prop years that is) left in the tank.

Still, he is in the 'old school' spectrum of props in terms of his skill set and unfortunately for him, he does not seem to thrive away from Scotland in general and Ayr in particular. Unless he does come back to Glasgow, hard to see that there may be to much out there for him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Hey guys, I know you lot love your rugby, I was just thinking how you feel about the new Scottish/Welsh competition, I have started a thread on it here:-

https://www.606v2.com/t68880-the-welsh-and-scottish-are-forming-their-own-competition#3819904

Please lend us your views on this. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:46 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:

The players and RC aren’t seeing eye to eye at the moment, the term used was “lost the dressing room”.

I appreciate this is going to come across a bit w*nk, but I can't really go into too much detail as I was told in confidence.  But if you watched Edinburgh last season (which I am pretty sure everyone here has, at least once), then it should be fairly easy to work out what the players might be aggrieved with.

I've now had this confirmed from another source, there is real disharmony between the players and Cockers, due to the one dimensional style of play. This is from two separate sources on two separate occasions, neither of whom have anything to gain from sharing this info with me. Obviously if we hit the ground running and win games this could all change, and with a new SH Cockers might try to use him differently, but as things stand the noises from the club aren't sounding great.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:03 pm

Bit concerning really considering he's only been there for 2 years. As I've said before i think he needs a strong assistant who won't just go with what he wants... but sounds like Edinburgh may be looking for a new coach again unless they change tactics before the end of the season. God forbid that Hodge will be left in charge.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:06 pm

Bit or a worry that this is coming out now as it implies that he has no plans to change the tactics this season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:14 pm

The people who have told me this haven’t really been involved in Edinburgh’s pre-season stuff so maybe don’t read too much into it. It’s also possible that once the fitness stuff has died down, there’s a chance they might move to a more attack based style in training. That’s possibly me being overly optimistic though.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Ooh that implies they're Scotland players!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:21 pm

not necessarily

I don’t think I’ve ever said it’s a current Edinburgh player, we also have a few internationals from other countries who have been away with their nations, as well as members of staff at the club who might not have any involvement in preseason, and as you point out there are Scotland internationals who are away as well.

In short, my ‘sources’ could literally be anyone who is, or has recently been, involved at the club and still has contact with people there.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:46 pm

My best pal's counsin's neighbour's hairdressers's dog walker knows a guy who knows a woman who knows someone..........
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Best be careful, you'll have the SRUs malcolm tucker threatening you down the phone soon

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Best be careful, you'll have the SRUs malcolm tucker threatening you down the phone soon

There once was man called tucker
who was a complete an utter .......
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:not necessarily

I don’t think I’ve ever said it’s a current Edinburgh player, we also have a few internationals from other countries who have been away with their nations, as well as members of staff at the club who might not have any involvement in preseason, and as you point out there are Scotland internationals who are away as well.

In short, my ‘sources’ could literally be anyone who is, or has recently been, involved at the club and still has contact with people there.

Fair enough - you've covered a wide range of people there!

I don' think we should press too much that it stops you from passing on the gossip - that's much more interesting than knowing who it's coming from!

You haven't been releases secret emails about the Trump administration have you?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:20 pm

Yeah, not that I think it would ever get back to them, or the club, but I’d rather not identify them, for fear of what it could mean to their future at the club.

In far less exciting news, and I’m sure this won’t come as a surprise, Edinburgh are going to be releasing a new shirt, and training gear very soon. This might have already been announced actually.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:36 pm

I've heard the new Edinburgh kit numbers only go up to number 10

Just saying it before Jimbo does!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Lot of rumours on Facebook that mini’field has fallen through and the SRU are now looking at using Accies ground at Raeburn place.

I can’t see that happening, and I suspect it’s just noise from folk on Facebook.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 pm

That would be a huge disappointment - we desperately need this stadium.

The new Raeburn place is only 2500 seated and there's no way in hell the Stockbridge residents association chaired by FES would allow Edinburgh to play there!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 pm

In other news, Socino has left Edinburgh by mutual consent. No surprise really as his gametime was limited.

He was a bit of a disappointing signing - he was well thought of at Newcastle but wasn't great for Edinburgh. His defence in particular was pretty awful at times and he made some strange decisions.

Hopefully means more time for young George Taylor.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Great decision letting Socino go, he contributed the square root of bugger all during his time with us. I cannot think of a single good game he had for us.

Taylor so far has looked pretty poor as well, but he at least has youth on his side and given the gameplan he was probably just shocked any time he got the ball.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 pm

That's a farce only the SRU could manage. Announce a club stadium then promptly cancel and hope no-one notices.

Hopefully it's just hearsay but generally it seems the negative rumours are usually right.

Maybe they'll look to work with the SFA to do a stadium share?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:01 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:That's a farce only the SRU could manage. Announce a club stadium then promptly cancel and hope no-one notices.

Hopefully it's just hearsay but generally it seems the negative rumours are usually right.

Not really sure how that would work.

If Miini'Field has actually fallen through, then I'd imagine we'll just stay at Murrayfield. Raeburn is too small (even post development) unless there are some additional temp. stands, but not sure there is space for that, given the cricket ground.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:That's a farce only the SRU could manage. Announce a club stadium then promptly cancel and hope no-one notices.

Not really sure how that would work.

If Miini'Field has actually fallen through, then I'd imagine we'll just stay at Murrayfield.  Raeburn is too small (even post development) unless there are some additional temp. stands, but not sure there is space for that, given the cricket ground.

It's unsustainable to stay in the echo chamber. Edinburgh will really struggle to attract crowds when their stadium is an atmosphere vacuum for an audience of less than 10,000.

It is vital that there is another solution put forward, much as I believe the SRU are incompetent half the time, I'm sure they will put another option forward.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:03 pm

Have the SRU been struggling to meet their incompetence quotas recently?! This had better not be true, it will be a hammer blow to the club!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:

Have the SRU been struggling to meet their incompetence quotas recently?! This had better not be true, it will be a hammer blow to the club!

I did think it was a bit odd they announced it pre-planning permission, a recipe for a man sausage up.

Just whack some temporary stands up around one of the training pitches for around 5-7k, apply for retrospective permission then work on making them permanent.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:21 pm

Its clear what needs to happen

The SRU have overstreched with Scotstoun and thier one eyed bias towards the weedge.

So

Stop wasting money on renting Scotstoun, get a cheaper deal back at firhill.

The money saved to then be used to buy the murrayfield ice rink, then bulldoze it and build a nice wee 10k stadium for the true rugby team that is Edinburgh.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 pm

tigertattie wrote:Its clear what needs to happen

The SRU have overstreched with Scotstoun and thier one eyed bias towards the weedge.

So

Stop wasting money on renting Scotstoun, get a cheaper deal back at firhill.

The money saved to then be used to buy the murrayfield ice rink, then bulldoze it and build a nice wee 10k stadium for the true rugby team that is Edinburgh.

You'll get straight onto WalesOnline when you propose Edinburgh have an ice pitch. Steff Evans will be seething.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:05 am

Problem is there literally are no other options but go back to Murrayfield. That's why we're still where we are 20 odd years into professionalism.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:30 am

RDW wrote:Problem is there literally are no other options but go back to Murrayfield. That's why we're still where we are 20 odd years into professionalism.

Well they need to just whack up some temporary stands and crack on with it, always better to apply after you've already got something in place if it's taking time.

Alternatively would a move on the outskirts of Edinburgh be feasible? I mean when Wasps were London Wasps they played in High Wycombe, which is 30-40 minutes out of London. London Irish play in Reading which is even further away, the only true London club is Harlequins really, but they are opposite Twickenham, Sarries are London in the sense they're in the belt.

Stadium in Fife maybe? It may also attract more people from outside Edinburgh. This being said rebranding wouldn't really match if Edinburgh played in Dunfermaline...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:35 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW wrote:Problem is there literally are no other options but go back to Murrayfield. That's why we're still where we are 20 odd years into professionalism.

Well they need to just whack up some temporary stands and crack on with it, always better to apply after you've already got something in place if it's taking time.

Alternatively would a move on the outskirts of Edinburgh be feasible? I mean when Wasps were London Wasps they played in High Wycombe, which is 30-40 minutes out of London. London Irish play in Reading which is even further away, the only true London club is Harlequins really, but they are opposite Twickenham, Sarries are London in the sense they're in the belt.

Stadium in Fife maybe? It may also attract more people from outside Edinburgh. This being said rebranding wouldn't really match if Edinburgh played in Dunfermaline...

Wash your mouth out with soap! That's almost ban worthy! vomit

Joking aside it's hard enough attracting a big crowd in a big city in a very convenient and well located stadium, never mind the outskirts of a city.

Back to Myreside anyone??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:38 am

RDW wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

Wash your mouth out with soap! That's almost ban worthy! vomit

Joking aside it's hard enough attracting a big crowd on a big city in a very convenient and well located stadium, never mind the outskirts of a city.

Back to Myreside anyone??

Well you can tell I live over 400 miles South West of Edinburgh... Whistle

Myreside may be the only option by the sound of it but the SRU will have to pull their finger out and do something to make it a suitable stadium.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:39 am

Myreside was a joke too - given that they quit the agreement very early on saying it was unsuitable for Edinburgh's needs there's no way they'd go back again.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:26 am

The outskirts would be totaly doable. It's not like we're moving 50k people.

A new purpose build stadium in the braid hills? The big empty fields by the bypass? There's huge swaiths of emtpy space by the new royal infirmary also.

Or go the other way, loads of empty fields between the airport and East Craigs/Crammond. Out by Heriot Watt.

If 10k people can't get to these place for half 7 on a firday evening or a Sat evening, then the city is stuffed.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Great decision letting Socino go, he contributed the square root of bugger all during his time with us.  I cannot think of a single good game he had for us.Spoons if you sack every player who meets that criteria you'll be playing Sevens all season. Four props and three hookers Sevens, mind.

Taylor so far has looked pretty poor as well, so he should fit right inand given the gameplan he was probably just dismayed, but in an elegant Jane Austen kind of way any time he got the ball.

Did you miss me? Yeah! When I was away. Cool

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:59 pm

You were away?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:04 pm

RDW wrote:You were away?

As good a definition of solipsistic narcissism as you'll see all day. Never change Flounder. Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:14 pm

Had to Google that.

Good holiday Jimbo? Glad (ish) to have you back!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:28 pm

Great to be back Flounder.

The highlight was our day at Volcano Bay. The Feckless Rogue handed me a can of Hawaiian lager at eight o'clock in the morning and wished me a happy birthday. I must stress we were standing on the beach at this point...he did not waken me up with a lager. It appears that Feckless, Pipetto and myself are all terrified of heights: we looked at the Perspex tube on the outside of the volcano which had a trapdoor in the floor and was dropping poor misguided fools down at high speed and decided it was not for us. We walked along to a sign post which pointed left "High Stepper; 268 steps up the volcano, drop floor Perspex tube, high speed slide" Fecc no, we cried in unison. Pointing right; " serpentine body slide, two enclosed tubes" We all agreed that sounded much safer and more sensible.

After walking up 268 steps we found ourselves on the same platform as the really scary one Shocked Our tubes had trad doors in the floors but instead of dropping us outside the volcano into the sunlight we were about to be dropped into pitch darkness before sliding down the outside of the volcano at ninety miles an hour. The other two wanted to turn back but I pointed out that the stairs would probably kill me. So we accidentally rode the scariest, most vertiginous slide in the park. Shocked Shocked Shocked We followed this with a slide called "Oyah" a long tube which ends in a six foot free fall into a ten foot deep pool. Much scarier than it sounds.

After that a Pepperoni Pizza Pretzel and another lager for breakfast.

How else does one spend one's 61st birthday?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Laugh

Great effort Jimbo and happy birthday cake cake Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 18 3559488474 guinness

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:49 am

And many more Jim, you fabulous lunatic.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:30 am

It occurs to me that the Luvvies could solve their housing problem by flat sharing and renaming The Home Of...you know.. to Scot'San Siro. Like the Milan teams we could play there on alternate weekends and there'd be no whinging about who gets home advantage for the third leg of the Slaughter Of The Effeminates.

The season's rent would go someway to paying for new stands and any Luvvites who turn up on the wrong weekend would get to see some real rugby.

The only downside is Henners and Jamie Bhatti would get slightly confused.

Last edited by jimbopip on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Interview with Hutchinson in the Scotsman this morning (which annoyingly you now have to pay for if you read more than 3 articles a week) - he's open to a move to Scotland at the end of the season.

Would make sense for all involved - assuming he gets capped in the summer he'll be NEQ which Northampton won't like, and hopefully he'll be firmly established in the Scotland team by then so can be looked after up here.

Glasgow is the obvious choice (Edinburgh will ruin him!) and he could be a natural replacement for Huw Jones.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next