The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Saturday 27th April

+14
NeilyBroon
Tattie Scones RRN
Hazel Sapling
R!skysports
funnyExiledScot
Tramptastic
EWT Spoons
bico
RDW
jimbopip
Eejit
George Carlin
tigertattie
BigGee
18 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Saturday 27th April - Page 2 Empty Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Saturday 27th April

Post by BigGee Mon 22 Apr 2019, 9:23 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh
Scotstoun Stadium
Glasgow

Saturday 27th April
KO at 19.35

Live on Premier Sports

Well now we have got those trivial European semi finals out of the way, we can concentrate on the most important game of the season so far when the luvies of Edinburgh return to the west to meet the once and future champions!

So what is in this game for both sides?

For Glasgow any kind of win will take them into a home semi final and that may still happen if Munster lose to Connacht should the unthinkable happen and we don't win!

Hard to see what is in it at all for Edinburgh other than pride, as they would need a win and a sequence of unlikely results to go there way even to get into the play off for the last Champs cup place, let alone to qualify for the playoffs, though that does remain a mathematical possibility.

Glasgow, after a poor show against Saracens and that can be slightly qualified by the way they demolished Munster yesterday have continued to build their form and look in very good shape going into this one. They should be further boosted by the return of a few more of their walking wounded, Wilson and Gibbins should be back for this match to add even more steel to their back row.

Edinburgh look as if their season ran out of steam in a dissapointing loss at home to Ulster. For some of their top performers it really looked like it was a game to far and they will have to dig very deep into their tank to find it within themselves to compete for a game that is likely not to get them any tangible reward even if they were to win.

Having said that Edinburgh do seem to take the option of turning up for this match, as opposed to the option of not turning up for other games that they should win comfortably like Dragons, Zebre and the Southern Kings!

On form, this is a Glasgow win all day of the week. However as some of the Edinburgh fans have pointed out, they have won this fixture before despite being the underdogs in the past (well just about every time we play to be honest).

So Glasgow will need to be on their game for this one and i am sure that they will be, with the massive incentive of a home semi and the potential of being in the final at Celtic Park. They are also going to be very peed off at the way we have lost to Edinburgh recently and have the feeling that it is about time that they plaed the real Glasgow team!

So here we go

Discuss!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Saturday 27th April - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Saturday 27th April

Post by R!skysports Tue 23 Apr 2019, 1:34 pm

tigertattie wrote:VDW and Hastings arent that far apart.

In all honesty I'd pick
1. Schoeman
2. McInally
3. Nel
4. Gilchrist
5. Gray (only because he may be back to form after last week, Toolis right behind him though)
6. Barclay
7. Watson
8. Mata
9. Horne (G)
10.Hastings (VDW isnt far behind)
11. VDM mk 2 (Seymour just hasnt been there this season)
12. Sam Johnson
13. Jones
14. Graham
15. Hogg

it shows how close the two sides actually are and Edinburgh are just lacking a proper sevice giving 9 to be a decent team.

Even the backs, it's the Edinburgh Wingers with the Glasgow 9 and 10 along with your centres and His Hoggness.

This is why I keep trying to sell Flounder boy the idea of a swap with G Horne for Ritchie or Bradbury.

All this could be resolved though if we do get the saffa laddie thats been reported has coming over!

eeerrr - no

Glasgow    1 20 15 0 5 587 370 217 16 76
Edinburgh 4 20 10 0 10 421 402 19 11 51

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/pro-tournament/table

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Saturday 27th April - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Saturday 27th April

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 23 Apr 2019, 2:11 pm

I’d say the first 15 of the two sides are pretty close (or at least balance out) however, where Glasgow have stood out is depth, and perhaps more importantly willingness to use it. That has allowed Glasgow to win (and win well) during the international breaks, whereas during that time Edinburgh have just been inept and generally lost.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 23 Apr 2019, 3:04 pm

A very good point Mr Spoons. Nice to see you back on form BTW.

It's Cockers' clinging to his first XV like FES clinging to Nanny's skirt that has really been the Exfoliators undoing. If it's a one off game and your fist XV are all fit and available then you are in with a shout against most teams. But how often does that happen?

The great Welsh coach Carwyn James was once asked what he would do if he had the budget of a professional side. His reply was that "if I had bags and bags of gold I would spend it all on attacking centres."

So,

Johnson and Huw Jones ….. JJ and Christine Glasgow win that one by a mile

Furra Linee and Seaman ….. ex-Messiah and MattScott12 on current form Glasgow win that too. Try talking about the Luvvies' pair without using the word "potentially"

Grigg and Lord Stafford …. You need to help me out here Headscratch Glasgow win the no contest.

We all know games are won or lost in the forwards: if Glasgow get parity their backs will run riot. Unless the Luvvies get a lot more ball than us they wont score enough to win.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 23 Apr 2019, 3:31 pm

For your last pairing from an Edinburgh POV, probably Socino and Taylor and very much advantage Glasgow.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Apr 2019, 3:44 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:I’d say the first 15 of the two sides are pretty close (or at least balance out) however, where Glasgow have stood out is depth, and perhaps more importantly willingness to use it.  That has allowed Glasgow to win (and win well) during the international breaks, whereas during that time Edinburgh have just been inept and generally lost.

And this is why Edinburgh have been beating Glasgow regularly over the years yet finishing well behind them in the league - our first choice teams are pretty similar quality but the wider squads are not.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 23 Apr 2019, 4:22 pm

RDW wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:I’d say the first 15 of the two sides are pretty close (or at least balance out) however, where Glasgow have stood out is depth, and perhaps more importantly willingness to use it.  That has allowed Glasgow to win (and win well) during the international breaks, whereas during that time Edinburgh have just been inept and generally lost.

And this is why Edinburgh have been beating Glasgow regularly over the years yet finishing well behind them in the league - our first choice teams are pretty similar quality but the wider squads are not.

exactly

And what are the SRU doing about this?

They are taking a potentially decent scrum half out of the Edinburgh Academy and sending him to Glasgow

Clear SRU bias towards Glasgow. They get given the players, the coaches, the stadiums.

The SRU started to address this one sided nonsense by giving Edinburgh John Barclay and now the nod to build our own stadium, but there is still a long long way to go before the balance of investment is evenly spread.

This stealing a future Edinburgh player nonsense has jsut set the progress back a bit.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 23 Apr 2019, 4:31 pm

tigertattie wrote:
RDW wrote:

exactly

And what are the SRU doing about this?

They are taking a potentially decent scrum half out of the Edinburgh Academy and sending him to Glasgow

Clear SRU bias towards Glasgow. They get given the players, the coaches, the stadiums.

The SRU started to address this one sided nonsense by giving Edinburgh John Barclay and now the nod to build our own stadium, but there is still a long long way to go before the balance of investment is evenly spread.

This stealing a future Edinburgh player nonsense has jsut set the progress back a bit.

Getting in early so the lad at least has a chance of becoming a decent player. Get him in before the Edinburgh reverse Midas touch turns him to sh*t like everything your club touches.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Apr 2019, 4:32 pm

Don't know if you're being serious or not tattie but it's a bit of a jump to use an under 18s scrum half as an example of Glasgow being favoured - we've already got Shiel as an 'academy' player and I'm sure there's other already in there waiting to make the step up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 23 Apr 2019, 4:34 pm

RDW wrote:Don't know if you're being serious or not tattie but it's a bit of a jump to use an under 18s scrum half as an example of Glasgow being favoured - we've already got Shiel as an 'academy' player and I'm sure there's other already in there waiting to make the step up.

Pretty sure he’s messing about.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Apr 2019, 4:39 pm

Hey, we gave you Henry P!

What are you complaining about!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 23 Apr 2019, 4:58 pm

Hooray Henry was a decent option off the bench until he went to the luvvies who have put the final nail in the coffin of his international career.

Luvvies ruin everything.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 23 Apr 2019, 5:05 pm

Actually when you look at the players who have moved teams, Edinburgh really have gotten the raw deal.

Edinburgh to Glasgow:
Kellock - this in itself should be enough given everything he did at the club, those rucks weren’t watching themselves
Ryan Grant - Went on to become a B&I lion
Sean Kennedy - Claiming it, went on loan to Glasgow, did well. Came back been poor since.

Glasgow to Edinburgh:
Bennett - Permanently injured and has been no where near close to the same level he once was, only moved over because Glasgow got Huw Jones, would happily swap.
Pyrgos - Slower than Laidlaw on special K

I don’t think there has been anyone else, or at least no one else stands out. Add to that, Glasgow have moved to a decent sized stadium and Edinburgh have been “promised” a stadium, but with no actual movement on that, other than applying for planning permission.

Not wanting to stir this particular pot again, but I can't see how Glasgow could claim to be getting a raw deal or bias towards Edinburgh.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Apr 2019, 5:15 pm

Just to add to this I went on a Twitter unfollow spree last night, and it reminded me of how many rotten journeymen Edinburgh have signed over the years

Blaauw
Hilterbrand
Bezuidenhaut
Dominguez
Penn

To name but a few.

Yes every team ends up signing rubbish squad players but we had to rely on most of the above!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 23 Apr 2019, 5:40 pm

RDW wrote:Just to add to this I went on a Twitter unfollow spree last night, and it reminded me of how many rotten journeymen Edinburgh have signed over the years

Blaauw
Hilterbrand
Bezuidenhaut
Dominguez
Penn

To name but a few.

Yes every team ends up signing rubbish squad players but we had to rely on most of the above!

Masaga, Vunisa, the Fat American, the tall American - we've had our fair share of rubbish. The difference is that Glasgow develop homegrown players all over the park while Edinburgh are reliant on Glasgow to survive.

The SRU can't even downgrade you to a 'development team' because Edinburgh can't develop anyone!

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Apr 2019, 6:42 pm

I think there's quite a big gap between form vs contributions over the course of the season. The likes of Jonny Gray and Tommy Seymour are coming good in recent weeks, but neither have been stellar this season overall.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 23 Apr 2019, 6:59 pm

BigGee wrote:Hey, we gave you Henry P!

What are you complaining about!

I’m telling you, Henry to Edinburgh was move akin to the Trojan horse. He’s utter garbage and clearly playing poorly on purpose as directed by DR.

Have seen DR watching Edinburgh on premier sports? Sits in a leather chair with a massive grin while stroking a scary looking white cat.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Apr 2019, 7:08 pm

It's not Henry that is the problem, it is the Edinburgh game plan. He can get a backline moving, did at Glasgow for a number of years.

You can't really blame him if he gives up the will to live when he gets his instructions each week now he is at Edinburgh

Plan A - slow ball from the forwards then box kick

Plan B - stand and watch forwards pick and go

Plan C - repeat plans A and B

He must long to be back at the dear green place!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 23 Apr 2019, 8:01 pm

To add to Spoons list

Glasgow to Edinburgh:
Bennett, Pyrgos
Bryce Brothers - Glen was not bad for Glasgow during international breaks. Fell apart at Edinburgh. Other one was useless at both
L Wynne - got loaned from LS but originates from Glasgow side
Bhatti - Soon to be sent over. Started off well but has not kicked on as he should

Edinburgh to Glasgow:
L Jones - Rebuilt his career and became the 4th choice wing for a bit
Turner - Struggled to get opportunities, turned into Scotland's third choice

There is a consistent theme among the players swapped. Glasgow send players who were doing relatively well over to Edinburgh and they were put in situations that they struggled with for one reason or another. Leave the list at recent times and Edinburgh received the higher profile players from Glasgow vs the other way. Grant and Kellock are retired, and Kennedy went back to Edinburgh. Bennett and Pyrgos are recent internationals in their mid-20s. They are about to get Bhatti, a young international LH (by prop standards) to help on Nel's farm. Glasgow received L Jones from a year in the 7s set-up and a young player in Turner who was struggling to get chances.

Edinburgh send over players who are struggling and Glasgow has been able to put them in good situations.

As for the stadium, Glasgow were benefactors of a freak accident that gave them the perfect stadium for that time but now it needs expanding and there is not really scope for it. Edinburgh can't get a stadium due to the council and NIMBYism that is rife around the UK. (Personal bugbear of mine are "environmentalists" that quote policing costs as a burden to the community against drilling oil & gas wells onshore...because there has to be a police presence to stop the same people from climbing on top of lorries).

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 24 Apr 2019, 9:09 am

I'm all for looking after the envoirment but sometimes poeple just don't think about what they are up to!

"I'm here to protest about climate change, to force goverments to look at our emmissions"

"And how did you get here"

"I flew in from Stockholm this morning"

Doh
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 24 Apr 2019, 10:28 am

I’d totally forgotten about the Bryce brothers. Jesus they were terrible. Glenn marginally less so, but Kevin was messed around by the SRU with the position change and he was never going to make it.

I guess at the end of the day both teams send players they no longer need to the other, we only got Bennett and Pyrgos because Glasgow got Jones and had Horne and Price. Glasgow got Jones & Turner because we had other/better options.

I don’t think either team is actually worse off than the other, in terms of sending players down the M8 but some fans seem to think they are.

There was a spell though where the SRU openly admitted to giving the better players/investment to Glasgow, and it paid off with them winning the pro12. I guess it was a gamble to really establish the club and as much as it sucked being an Edinburgh fan at that time, when Maitland and the like were moving over to play for Glasgow and we had a bunch of players who would look out their depth in prem 1, it has really helped Glasgow, the SRU and by extension Edinburgh. Hopefully now though the investment etc is evened out.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 24 Apr 2019, 10:36 am

tigertattie wrote:I'm all for looking after the envoirment but sometimes poeple just don't think about what they are up to!

"I'm here to protest about climate change, to force goverments to look at our emmissions"

Doh

I always fly to my environmental protests via Stockholm, how else are you meant to travel?

In all seriousness though, as a geologist not paid by the oil companies and as an environmental engineer (so i may have a bias), the environment protests are fantastic. You see the environmental leglislation rollbacks happening in the US and Brazil, the constant rubbish spouted about turbines being inefficient and it's a genuine concern for the future of this planet. I've got nothing but respect and support for the people protesting in London.

Some people have been inconvenienced by traffic being blocked. Oh no. The Humanity.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, a billion quid has been donated to fix a cathedral by billionaires but when it comes to the environment we are told there's no money/turbines are too expensive/investing in Carbon Capture Storage is too risky? For shame.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 24 Apr 2019, 11:37 am

Tramptastic wrote:
tigertattie wrote:I'm all for looking after the envoirment but sometimes poeple just don't think about what they are up to!

Doh

I always fly to my environmental protests via Stockholm, how else are you meant to travel?

In all seriousness though, as a geologist not paid by the oil companies and as an environmental engineer (so i may have a bias), the environment protests are fantastic. You see the environmental leglislation rollbacks happening in the US and Brazil, the constant rubbish spouted about turbines being inefficient and it's a genuine concern for the future of this planet. I've got nothing but respect and support for the people protesting in London.

Some people have been inconvenienced by traffic being blocked. Oh no. The Humanity.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, a billion quid has been donated to fix a cathedral by billionaires but when it comes to the environment we are told there's no money/turbines are too expensive/investing in Carbon Capture Storage is too risky? For shame.

Preach brother! Preach!!!

Don't get me wrong. The protests are, if nothing else, needed.

I was looking at going into environmental sciences as a kid before I was lured into the bright glamourous world of spreadsheets and meetings.

The planet is about 20 years away from being irreversibly damaged. If things aren’t sorted out soon then we're going got be in hot water (quite literally)

I was more making a joke at the hippies/bampots/professional protesters who are just out to cause mischief. You cannot say you are protesting about global warming if you are flying about the place in an aircraft for example.

but yes, the world needs to stop, but importantly take action on things.

I'm no expert, but the things we need to look at are

A - Imposing a worldwide ban on having more than 2 children. The population is just getting out of control. The human race is like a disease on the planet that just keeps spreading (extreme I know, but my goodness we're destroying the place)
B - The days of jumping on a plane for a weekend bender in Benidorm need to be gone. Families/Couples who go on two/three/four foreign holidays a year just simply need to stop.
C - We need to stop burring fossil fuels. It’s as simple as that. If this means you need to get rid of your car and you can't drive to the MacArthur Glen shopping village and you instead need to walk down your local high street for a packet of new pants, then so be it. (or we should get our fingers out and use electric vehicles (powered by renewable energy)
D - We need to stop buying, and wasting, so much food from all around the world. If you can't have your avocado on toast, big whoop!
E - We need to stop eating so much meat (a personal demon) - We need to go back to eating what we can produce locally. If this means I need to eat more plants and cereals instead of meat every single day, oh well then.
F - We need to get rid of Glasgow's back row (just to make this post rugby related)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 24 Apr 2019, 11:44 am

Any solutions to stop volcanoes erupting too?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:06 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Any solutions to stop volcanoes erupting too?

Grout 'em

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:11 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:

Doh

Preach brother! Preach!!!

Don't get me wrong. The protests are, if nothing else, needed.

I was looking at going into environmental sciences as a kid before I was lured into the bright glamourous world of spreadsheets and meetings.

The planet is about 20 years away from being irreversibly damaged. If things aren’t sorted out soon then we're going got be in hot water (quite literally)

I was more making a joke at the hippies/bampots/professional protesters who are just out to cause mischief. You cannot say you are protesting about global warming if you are flying about the place in an aircraft for example.

but yes, the world needs to stop, but importantly take action on things.

I'm no expert, but the things we need to look at are

A - Imposing a worldwide ban on having more than 2 children. The population is just getting out of control. The human race is like a disease on the planet that just keeps spreading (extreme I know, but my goodness we're destroying the place)
B - The days of jumping on a plane for a weekend bender in Benidorm need to be gone. Families/Couples who go on two/three/four foreign holidays a year just simply need to stop.
C - We need to stop burring fossil fuels. It’s as simple as that. If this means you need to get rid of your car and you can't drive to the MacArthur Glen shopping village and you instead need to walk down your local high street for a packet of new pants, then so be it. (or we should get our fingers out and use electric vehicles (powered by renewable energy)
D - We need to stop buying, and wasting, so much food from all around the world. If you can't have your avocado on toast, big whoop!
E - We need to stop eating so much meat (a personal demon) - We need to go back to eating what we can produce locally. If this means I need to eat more plants and cereals instead of meat every single day, oh well then.
F - We need to get rid of Glasgow's back row (just to make this post rugby related)

I've got a particular disdain for celebrities who are environmental hypocrites - DiCraprio being chief Kn0b

Change the way we tax to reflect environmental damage. Everyone gets income taxed for sure but otherwise everyone starts on 0% tax and then gets taxed per contribution i.e. 1% tax on income per child, 1% per car etc. Add this to the finance sector, investments in non-environmentally friendly companies (big oil, gas) should have an extra tax. Revenues generated from tax go to investments in renewables, CCS, plastic reduction & clear up, investment in meat substitutes etc.

That'll sort out the world for sure, cant see ANYONE objecting at all Laugh

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:15 pm

I don’t hate environmentalists or oil companies, I keep all my disdain 100% focused on anything or anyone associated with Edinburgh.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:17 pm

Eejit wrote:I don’t hate environmentalists or oil companies, I keep all my disdain 100% focused on anything or anyone associated with Edinburgh.

Understandable - have you met Edinburgh people? They are on a par with Weegies, just terrible

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:23 pm

Tramptastic wrote:
Eejit wrote:I don’t hate environmentalists or oil companies, I keep all my disdain 100% focused on anything or anyone associated with Edinburgh.

Understandable - have you met Edinburgh people? They are on a par with Weegies, just terrible

You have too many locations to be abusive about them all so I’ll go back to the tried and tested.

Fraser Brown is a better hooker than the guy that’s been warming his Scotland jersey for him. Run

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:25 pm

I am on the other side of the fence as a Geologist in Oil & Gas. I did look at environmental stuff in my undergrad days, but it is a largely underfunded field and some of the schemes look like scams (e.g. lagoon in Swansea - read the Private Eye stuff on it (it is ridiculous what the guy is trying to get away with), the cash for ash in Northern Ireland, wood pellet plants in Yorkshire). My undergrad supervisor was (I think) the first UK professor for CCS and soon after he got the appointment the coalition eliminated the money for it. It was a seriously short sighted view. Even if the UK drops to zero net emissions tomorrow it will not matter. USA, China and India are going to dictate global carbon levels by the sheer size of their populations/energy intensity of the economies.

The goal should now be to sort out some of the practical stuff such as improving food yields and education in poorer nations, eliminating the flaring of gas from petroleum production (some larger fields are now getting wind turbines to reduce emissions in the North Sea and that should be globalised), electrifying transport and eliminating waste from the oceans. If the EU/USA/UK was serious about mitigating emissions, it is time to change tariffs to be sorted by carbon intensity of producing the product regardless of where it is made. If you are a company, why pay for mitigation in the UK if you can make it in Morocco without having to meet expensive targets and sending it on cheaply.

As for oil and gas tax, some UK fields were paying out 90% of their profits as tax (there are even stories of additional oil beyond a certain level of production getting taxed at over 100%). If you offered a 20% tax rate with a 20% royalty rate on top, almost every company would be ecstatic with that in new, larger discoveries. In Egypt, one field was 50% of all oil produced went to the state after cost oil before paying additional taxes on the remaining 50%.

Anyway, on rugby, hopefully Connacht do us a favour and hold Munster back. Edinburgh are built to defeat a side like Glasgow

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:33 pm

Eejit wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:

You have too many locations to be abusive about them all so I’ll go back to the tried and tested.

Fraser Brown is a better hooker than the guy that’s been warming his Scotland jersey for him. Run

Laugh I'm from the stewartry, i'm entitled to mock everybody

If McInally was injured I wouldn't bat an eyelid at Brown coming on for him. I'd be more concerned about Turner being the replacement, but not a huge amount

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:37 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:I am on the other side of the fence as a Geologist in Oil & Gas. I did look at environmental stuff in my undergrad days, but it is a largely underfunded field and some of the schemes look like scams (e.g. lagoon in Swansea - read the Private Eye stuff on it (it is ridiculous what the guy is trying to get away with), the cash for ash in Northern Ireland, wood pellet plants in Yorkshire). My undergrad supervisor was (I think) the first UK professor for CCS and soon after he got the appointment the coalition eliminated the money for it. It was a seriously short sighted view. Even if the UK drops to zero net emissions tomorrow it will not matter. USA, China and India are going to dictate global carbon levels by the sheer size of their populations/energy intensity of the economies.

The goal should now be to sort out some of the practical stuff such as improving food yields and education in poorer nations, eliminating the flaring of gas from petroleum production (some larger fields are now getting wind turbines to reduce emissions in the North Sea and that should be globalised), electrifying transport and eliminating waste from the oceans. If the EU/USA/UK was serious about mitigating emissions, it is time to change tariffs to be sorted by carbon intensity of producing the product regardless of where it is made. If you are a company, why pay for mitigation in the UK if you can make it in Morocco without having to meet expensive targets and sending it on cheaply.

As for oil and gas tax, some UK fields were paying out 90% of their profits as tax (there are even stories of additional oil beyond a certain level of production getting taxed at over 100%). If you offered a 20% tax rate with a 20% royalty rate on top, almost every company would be ecstatic with that in new, larger discoveries. In Egypt, one field was 50% of all oil produced went to the state after cost oil before paying additional taxes on the remaining 50%.

Anyway, on rugby, hopefully Connacht do us a favour and hold Munster back. Edinburgh are built to defeat a side like Glasgow

Boo/hiss Hug

in seriousness, the coalition binning the CCS investment was the worst economic decision they could have made. The oil companies were onboard, i believe Shell were 50% partners? If you have the oil companies agreeing to it you've won the fight!

Another bad decision the tories have made is to not invest in the tidal tech being developed up in the Moray firth. It works, its efficient with scope for it getting better with time, it doesnt require wind to blow or sun to shine (just the moon to keep moving)

Was your undergrad supervisor Stuart Hazeldine by any chance?

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:43 pm

Tramptastic wrote:

Boo/hiss Hug

in seriousness, the coalition binning the CCS investment was the worst economic decision they could have made. The oil companies were onboard, i believe Shell were 50% partners? If you have the oil companies agreeing to it you've won the fight!

Another bad decision the tories have made is to not invest in the tidal tech being developed up in the Moray firth. It works, its efficient with scope for it getting better with time, it doesnt require wind to blow or sun to shine (just the moon to keep moving)

Jon Gluyas at Durham University. Lovely bloke if you ever meet him.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 24 Apr 2019, 1:51 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:

Boo/hiss Hug

Jon Gluyas at Durham University. Lovely bloke if you ever meet him.

Ah nae bother, was making an Edinburgh assumption (doh)

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 24 Apr 2019, 3:13 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:I am on the other side of the fence as a Geologist in Oil & Gas. I did look at environmental stuff in my undergrad days, but it is a largely underfunded field and some of the schemes look like scams (e.g. lagoon in Swansea - read the Private Eye stuff on it (it is ridiculous what the guy is trying to get away with), the cash for ash in Northern Ireland, wood pellet plants in Yorkshire). My undergrad supervisor was (I think) the first UK professor for CCS and soon after he got the appointment the coalition eliminated the money for it. It was a seriously short sighted view. Even if the UK drops to zero net emissions tomorrow it will not matter. USA, China and India are going to dictate global carbon levels by the sheer size of their populations/energy intensity of the economies.

And this is the very problem.

It's going to need some serious education and working together in the UN to sort this nonsense out.

It's a bit rich for us to turn around to China/India/Africa and say they can't use coal to grow their country after we did for 200 years.

The UK is completely hypocritical in saying "Oooo, these things are all bad and you shouldn’t use them" now that we're getting to a stage where our reliance on them is starting to reduce.

The single biggest issue though is population growth across the world. We need to reduce the size of the population so we don’t need to feed/cloth/find fuel for the ever-increasing people of the world. The issue in doing that though is you'll end up with more older people than there is younger people and boom go everyone's pensions Sad

Did you know we have a completely efficient method of taking carbon emissions out of the air? They are called trees. We had 1000s of Billions of them 200 years ago. We've cut half of them down!

PS, buckfast is a polluter, lets ban it and all Glaswegians.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 24 Apr 2019, 3:53 pm

I'm off these boards for a day and I come back to a Greenpeace march.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 24 Apr 2019, 4:44 pm

This is why we can't have nice things, the Scottish boards always go off on weird tangents.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 24 Apr 2019, 5:21 pm

Probably time to have a little stab at the Glasgow team, just to distract everyone from climate change and remind them that this is a rugby forum!

1. Keeble - should be fit again, was held back last time as a precaution
2. Brown
3. Fagerson Z - getting right back into form now
4. Gray
5. Cummings - starting to show us signs of the player we hoped he would be
6. Harley
7. Gibbins - he is meant to be fit again
8. Fagerson M
9. Price - seems to have wrapped up the starting shirt for now
10. Hastings
11. Seymour - again hitting top form at the right time
12. Johnson - if fit, as went of injured against Leinster, Horne P if not
13. Jones H - time to earn his corn!
14. Steyn
15. Hoggy

Subs

Bhatti - been playing well and could start, Allen if Keeble still injured
Stewart - Turner is fit apparently but being held back as a precaution
Nuke
Wilson - probably off the bench for his first game back
Ashe - will slot into the back row if Harley goes into the second
Horne G - the ultimate try scoring impact sub
Horne P/McDowell - depending if Johnson fit
Niko - to come and create some mischief in the last quarter

A good team and a very strong bench!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 24 Apr 2019, 6:00 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:This is why we can't have nice things, the Scottish boards always go off on weird tangents.

That's a pretty good stab at the team, Gee. It all depends on who DR wants to save for the play-offs and who he thinks might be needed and needs a run out. Allan and Rae spring to mind. Also there's no Seaman on your bench. Shocked

Anyhoo they'll doubtless come out to the new Greenpeace inspired team song

"Kill the wales
Eat the blubber
Beat the baby seals to death."

I believe it goes nicely to the tune of Back In Black.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 24 Apr 2019, 6:17 pm

If we win this one Jim, we get two weekends off, so no need to rest or save anyone. We need to go in fully loaded.

The only two players who are still injured and might get back into this team now would be Grigg and DTH and even that is not a given the way some of the others are playing. Their chance of playing in the playoffs will likely depend on others getting injured.

I have got Seaman in my team Jim, on the wing, you can't leave him out the way he has been playing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 24 Apr 2019, 6:21 pm

Mea Culpa Gee. Seaman on the wing can be tricky to spot.

Looking at the media chores this week; Lee jones new contract, Scott Cummings interview in The Scrum, BBB young Fagerson and Jonathan Humphries on the Warriors website. So we can expect Tommy Seymour to start on the bench and Jones and Humphries on the wing. Which may render your Seaman redundant.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 24 Apr 2019, 6:31 pm

I used to pay a bit of attention to the media photos and interviews but they have not always been very accurate recently.

I am very happy Lee Jones is signing on again for another couple of years, but I am not sure he is fit yet. Tommy S had two really good games against Ulster and Leinster, so can't see him not starting.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 24 Apr 2019, 6:33 pm

So no Humphries on the wing then?Sad

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 25 Apr 2019, 9:14 am

jimbopip wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:This is why we can't have nice things, the Scottish boards always go off on weird tangents.

That's a pretty good stab at the team, Gee. It all depends on who DR wants to save for the play-offs and who he thinks might be needed and needs a run out. Allan and Rae spring to mind. Also there's no Seaman on your bench. Shocked

Anyhoo they'll doubtless come out to the new Greenpeace inspired team song

"Kill the wales
Eat the blubber
Beat the baby seals to death."

I believe it goes nicely to the tune of Back In Black.

Freudian slip?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Apr 2019, 8:23 am

George Carlin wrote:I'm off these boards for a day and I come back to a Greenpeace march.

I know. Anyway, we have trams so we win on that front as well. Just cut all the hot air coming from Glasgow rugby fans; problem solved.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Apr 2019, 8:26 am

Weegies getting nervous yet??

Forwards win games, and the backs determine by how much. So Edinburgh by one point...

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 26 Apr 2019, 9:29 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Weegies getting nervous yet??

Forwards win games, and the backs determine by how much. So Edinburgh by one point...

Can we win by half a point?

PS, we've already won the 1872 cup so I dont mind us throwing the game to let the weegies get thier needed league points.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 26 Apr 2019, 10:24 am

tigertattie wrote:

PS, we've already won the 1872 cup so I dont mind us throwing the game to let the weegies get thier needed league points.

That'll be twice in the one season Glasgow's final position in the league/euros will be decided by Edinburgh Laugh

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 26 Apr 2019, 10:30 am

Tramptastic wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

That'll be twice in the one season Glasgow's final position in the league/euros will be decided by Edinburgh Laugh

Edinburgh’s league position is decided by the fact they’ve managed to lose half their games!

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 26 Apr 2019, 10:37 am

Eejit wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

Edinburgh’s league position is decided by the fact they’ve managed to lose half their games!

we didnt lose half our games, we just didnt win half our games!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 26 Apr 2019, 11:58 am

The team was announced but then immediately pulled from Twitter as they had forgotten to put in number 19

First XV announced were:

1. Bhatti
2. Scotland's rightful hooker
3. Ragnar
4. Cummings, the heir to Jonny
5. Jonny
6. The Ginger Tackle Monster
7. Tom Gordon Shocked
8. Ragnar's brother
9. Aldi
10. Haircut
11. Mad Mata
12. Sam Sam the Hand-off Man
13. Seaman
14. Tennessee
15. Hoggy

Where's Jimbo, I need help keeping track of all these nicknames.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next