The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do boxers have an obligation to be good ambassadors?

+2
No name Bertie
smashingstormcrow
6 posters

Go down

Do boxers have an obligation to be good ambassadors? Empty Do boxers have an obligation to be good ambassadors?

Post by smashingstormcrow Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am

Deontay Wilder has been making stupid, ignorant comments (again) about wanting a "body" on his record. It is earning him some publicity, of course, but given that such tragedies DO actually occur, I think most of us would agree that his behaviour is unacceptable... sick, disgusting, and disrespectful in the extreme...

But of course, this type of thing is not new. David Haye threatened to hospitalise Tony Bellew (ironic). Mike Tyson said he was aiming to kill Lennox Lewis. I remember Froch saying something about killing Kessler in their rematch (even though they were supposedly friends!). These guys are superstars who became rich from boxing, do they have a responsibility to be good ambassadors for the sport?

Does the boxing board of control have a code of conduct for professional boxers, outside of the ring? What penalty (if any) should be applicable for such threats, or for trivializing the inherent mortal danger in the sport?

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Do boxers have an obligation to be good ambassadors? Empty Re: Do boxers have an obligation to be good ambassadors?

Post by No name Bertie Thu May 16, 2019 11:58 am

It used to be said that boxing was a gentlemans game, played by the Queensberry Rules, and taught in public schools for boys.

Nowadays that statement would be considered sexist and an example of privilege.  So now boxing can be considered to embrace diversity and is working towards 'gender equality'.

In the context of what goes on inside the ring - both boxers know it doesn't matter what is said before hand (unless one or the other becomes emotionially affected by what is said and takes that state of mind in the ring with them).

With regard Deontay Wilder maybe he has been affected by watching Game of Thrones.

Anyway I shall sit back and see what the reaction will be.   Maybe it is one of those things intended to gain free publicity and drum up sales out of it.   Not sure what the trash talk is like in wrestling but it wouldn't surprise me to be similar.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Do boxers have an obligation to be good ambassadors? Empty Re: Do boxers have an obligation to be good ambassadors?

Post by Mr Bounce Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Wilder is just an idiot. He isn't the first, and sadly probably won't be the last. It's unnecessary and unwanted. Indulging in a bit of trash talk? No problem. Little bit of niggle between fighters because one insulted the other's family? Probably just about acceptable. But stating you want a body on your record? I REALLY hope Wilder doesn't actually kill someone in the ring. This isn't Rocky IV.

Somehow I would like Breazeale to put Wilder down and out, just to shut him up. However, I think that's as likely as me doing it.

Wilder will get a smack on the wrist and probably nothing else will happen. Sad.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Not sure a sport where people rejoice in seeing a human being face down unconscious on the floor or battered brutally on the ropes or even happy seeing Women punching eachother should be too worried about Wilder wanting a "Body"...Unfortunate choice of words as they are...

For sure intercede with hate speech demeaning LGBT people and other minorities....

Boxing is a dirty sport that plays to the dark sides of our character and those that enjoy it shouldn't take the high road...

Ashamed to say I enjoy watching it...and will continue to watch it....But all Human beings are hypocrites and I am certainly no different.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri May 17, 2019 10:32 am

Simple answer is yes any and all top sportsmen (not even top) are ambassadors for the sport. The good thing about this is that Wilders not really known that well anywhere so might have a limited reach ;-).

Seriously though he shouldn't be saying stuff like this in a sport where that very thing can happen

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Mon May 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Simple answer is yes any and all top sportsmen (not even top) are ambassadors for the sport.

I agree. It gives the sport a terrible name. And I can't help wondering how - for instance - Mike Towell's family must feel when they hear statements like this. I think boxers, in particular, have a responsibility not only to be ambassadors for the sport, but also to respect for their opponent, and boxers who have been severely injured in the ring.

Boxing can certainly be a brutal sport, and yes I suppose there is an element of shame (or at least questioning) when I admit that I do enjoy watching it. It caters to primal instincts. But nevertheless, the aim is to outpoint or incapacitate your opponent.. not to kill them. I don't think it's being hypocritical and sanctimonious to find Wilder's comments highly distasteful.

How many F1 fans love a massive crash? (F1 or Moto GP highlight reels would certainly suggest that crashes are a big draw). But despite the obvious danger, nobody wants to see drivers killed on the track.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon May 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Muhammad Ali is Boxing's biggest name and is acknowledged as its greatest ambassador....Yet he..

Called People Uncle Tom regularly...

Brawled in TV studios..

Admitted he tortured Ernie Terrell for not saying his name..

Went to Prison...

Was part of a controversial black movement..

Don't give me all this you have to be a good ambassador stuff...

Boxing isn't a normal sport...It's legal violence.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue May 21, 2019 9:27 am

His comments didn’t sicken me at all because everyone knows he didn’t mean it he’s not that kind of person contrast those words with what he said about praying to himself that that Pole would get up after he brutally knocked him out

Just give him a fine with a warning if he does it again it’ll be a big fine next time boxing’s a sport and those kind of comments don’t sit well with true fans

What really sickens me about boxing is how fighters can go years without having to fight a mandatory. I’m thinking Stevenson. The relationship between the PBC and the WBC that’s what really sickens me

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am

I prefer Paulie’s comments at 15.30s

https://youtu.be/NsIefi7JYdE

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Tue May 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Yeah Ali said some pretty awful things.. especially regarding race. I guess to an extent it has to be taken against the backdrop of racial segregation, as a result of which young men were ripe for indoctrination.. but nevertheless, I struggle to reconcile it with the hero status he's been elevated to.

Everyone knows he didn't mean it? Well I THINK he didn't mean it... but plenty of people are dumb enough to take it literally, and it's an incredibly distasteful thing to say... you can't dismiss it as pantomime, when these things actually DO happen sometimes.

After the fight, he offered a half-assed explanation, but didn't go far enough IMO.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue May 21, 2019 5:48 pm

I have to differ with you- I could be wrong but if there’s even one fan out there(that’s not mentally challenged) who took what he said literally, I’d be amazed. But we’re not arguing. There’s no place for comments like that in boxing and he’s overstepped the mark. He should get a fine that he’ll really feel which he won’t of course

In other news Joshua batters Wilder I don’t think Wilder will be able to close the gap and how can I put it.. Wilder doesn’t want that fight

Did you watch the video classy stuff that bare knuckle

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Wed May 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:He should get a fine that he’ll really feel which he won’t of course
Yep, agreed (on both counts)

And yes I'd pick Joshua to beat Wilder... I think Wilder actually does want the fight at some point, just not quite yet. There's money to be made by dragging it out.

I'd also pick Fury to beat Wilder in the rematch, if it happens.. but the problem is with Fury, he doesn't carry much power, so he won't KO Wilder.. and the longer the fight drags on, the more chances Wilder will have of putting him on his ass again.

I did skim through that bare knuckle presser, yeah.. Paulie has always been more entertaining in front of a mic than he was in the ring. Sad to see him getting involved in this circus to be honest... he must need the money.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 am

God it’s boring at the minute the heavyweight division not interested in Fury/Wilder rematch anything not involving Joshua right now is for runner’s up spot

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down