The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little help with St Andrews...

+8
Shotrock
dynamark
JAS
George1507
super_realist
I'm never wrong
McLaren
robopz
12 posters

Go down

A little help with St Andrews...  Empty A little help with St Andrews...

Post by robopz Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:31 pm

I'm going to be staying in St Andrews from July 9th to 12th. We're making a big driving trip through England and Scotland visit some of my wife stomping grounds from when she was growing up.

Of the five of us driving the trip, I'm the only one who golfs much, but my brother-in-law will probably take me out around Norwich somewhere anyway.. I played ToC before on planned itineraries, but never made arrangements to try to play there on my own. I'm being told that it's often easier to get on the Old Course as a single than I would have thought.  But I'm also being told it's likely going to be impossible when I'm there because a lot of people will be in Scotland before making the trip over to Ireland for the Open.

Can anybody enlighten me on this a little bit? This is not a golf trip for us I'm not even taking clubs. But there's no freaking way I miss a chance to play ToC if I get the chance. (And the guys flat were staying in and St Andrews is an avid golfer and has plenty of clubs he said I can use).  I really enjoyed Kingsbarn on a prior trip as well, and might do that if possible in a prices are anywhere near reasonable.

We are going to be in Aberdeen for 3 nights of well, and I have a connection for Trump Aberdeen, but not sure if it's worth the price. I played Royal Aberdeen before, so I probably won't play that one either. But other suggestions in Aberdeen would be welcomed (again if I get a chance to play). But to play up in Aberdeen I'm going to need  rentals

robopz

Back to top Go down

A little help with St Andrews...  Empty Re: A little help with St Andrews...

Post by robopz Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:44 pm

PS... And when I say we're driving a BUNCH... I AIN'T KIDDING.  Over 3 weeks this is our figure-8.  We fly non-stop Houston to Manchester, then down to Norwich for a few days... Then the rest of the Loop south thru London then SE, then back up all the way up to St Andrews, Aberdeen... Then loop back down to Manchester to come home.  

A little help with St Andrews...  Image-10

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 am

If super is feeling generous he could get you on as a guest or something.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:27 am

McLaren wrote:If super is feeling generous he could get you on as a guest or something.
....as long as you're prepared for a two hour round.....

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10 am

Robo,
You can get on as a single if you just turn up and wait. Someone will likely tag you on to their 2 or 3 ball. and the starter actively works to get you out.

Trouble is, I've taken on such singles who may have been waiting since 4 or 5am, just to get in the queue!!! You could be first out, you might have to wait 6 hours. There's no hard and fast rule, but you'll need to get down early.

You could also turn up early when the starters box opens and arrange a dark time if you have someone else to play with. (In early July you could comfortably play up until 9.45pm)

Thursdays tend to be a bit busier due to club medals often being run.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:35 am

The easiest way to play TOC without a booking is to be a single, in my experience.

You'll have to be prepared with whoever it is you are fixed up with - maybe Japanese who have never played on a golf course before. Be nice to the starter and he'll do his best for you.

Don't spend your entire holiday in the car - that's a lot of driving you have planned there.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:05 am

Or super does the decent thing and books a tee off with a spare slot. Or two extra slots and i'll cash in on the round he owes me.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Robo, if you like your golf tough with several...”Jeez - wtf” on some tees then yes Trumps is worth it. Forget who’s pockets youre lining the course itself is a helluva experience.
Also if you’ve played ToC before why not have a pop at Carnoustie which is about 45 minutes on from Standrews and on the road to Aberdeen if you take the coastal route out of Dundee.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:31 pm

That a lot of driving but I guess not bad compared to the US distances.Good luck

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:06 pm

Mac - If you get that 3 some I'll see if I can fly out to be the 4th. Hell, you only live once and I could clearly learn how to score better from Super.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Hope this is televised.
Beats the sh1t out of Phil vs Tiger.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:00 am

Ha! Team USA vs super and mac. Priceless.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:12 am

Thanks all.  A few things....

Super... Thanks for the advice on ToC. What you told me was pretty much exactly what I've been told, the only difference is that being the week before the Open there's likely to be a lot of people there trying to get on TOC before going over to Ireland for the Open.  I think from what you said, my best stategy is to pick a day (probably Wednesday the 10th), get there before first light and be ready to go. I certainly don't mind waiting around. And I'm one of those guys that I don't mind who I get paired with. Actually the more diverse the better. Locals, Asians, Americans, Europeans... All works for me...

I've played Carnoustie before and since I won't have my own transportation, I don't think I want to go around and find myself in the same waiting situation. If TOC looks like a no-go, I might just pass... Take out the cameras and have myself a field day that way.

Appreciate tip on Trump. Might give that a go. Doubtful I'm ever going to get back up that way, so it might be now or never.

As for the car riding... Where I live we consider 500 miles a day trip, so time in the car doesn't bother me. This is my wife & daughters itinerary and there's a purpose to every where we're going.  My wife is big in genealogy, and except for the stopover in London everything else goes to either that or visit her old friends and other family. (And show my daughter around) we used to go over every other year, but with my wife's mom having been quite frail and not able to travel, its been 5 years. 7 since my youngest daughter was able to go. So this is for her too.  And ME too. All our previous trips have either been dedicated golf or specific destination for family trips... Or to jump off to France or Spain from England for holiday. So seeing all these new things is a special treat for me. So much of England I've never gotten a feel for, so I'm looking forward to it.  If the golf works out, awesome, but that's not the priority (except TOC if that works out).

Cheers all.

Anyway... Thanks again everybody... Off tomorrow afternoon nonstop to Manchester...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 am

Super... One last thing. A few days out and when I know everything is going on schedule I might would like to contact you with further questions if required. If you could be so kind as to keep an eye out here and your private messages, I might try to get back to you... Regards...

And please keep Jordan Spieth in your prayers to do well in the Open... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:02 am

No problem Robo, anything you need to know just ask.
Unfortunately I'm at work that week otherwise I'd have been happy to take you on.

One thing though, with the Open being in Norn Irn, I wouldn't be so sure that TOC will be any more busy than usual. It's not like it's 20 minutes away in the car, it's an hours drive from the nearest airport and an hour's flight from there to get to the land of the potato. If you played the Friday the Open is on, I doubt you'd even notice a difference in traffic. I wouldn't expect Carnoustie, Muirfield, Troon, Turnberry, Birkdale, Hoylake to be any busier either, just because The Open is on. In fact, I don't recall St. Andrews being noticeably busier even last year when the Open was at Carnoustie, 10 miles away as the crow flies.

The Castle is also worth a bash if you've already played Kingsbarns, TOC and St. Andrews. Panmure is also a tremendous course with probably the best greens within a 50 mile radius.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Super

Are not going to address the prospect of forming a new special relationship?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Give us a wave as you pass through the Clyde Valley.

And enjoy your trip OK

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:18 am

Ok Super... Looks like Thursday or bust for TOC.  

1. I don't have clubs. It was supposed to be some here at the flat where we're staying, but it's like a mixed bag of 11 mostly useless clubs. So I'm going to need rentals. Where do I go what do I do?  

2. If I'm going to try to get put in as a single Thursday morning... What time do I need to get there and who I need to see and where?

3. Money is not an issue, but what is standard rate this time of year what is appropriate caddie tip etc. (Like 2005 ish last time I was here and it was all set up for a big gang some so I'm pretty Clueless what to do as an individual)

I got tomorrow to run all this down.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 am

robopz wrote:Ok Super... Looks like Thursday or bust for TOC.  

1. I don't have clubs. It was supposed to be some here at the flat where we're staying, but it's like a mixed bag of 11 mostly useless clubs. So I'm going to need rentals. Where do I go what do I do?  

2. If I'm going to try to get put in as a single Thursday morning... What time do I need to get there and who I need to see and where?

3. Money is not an issue, but what is standard rate this time of year what is appropriate caddie tip etc. (Like 2005 ish last time I was here and it was all set up for a big gang some so I'm pretty Clueless what to do as an individual)

Robo, you can rent them from the Links Trust at the course. Speak to them next to the putting green at the first tee.

Word of warning. I played with a Saffa on Saturday, the queue for singles started at an outrageous 01:30 AM. He joined at about 05:30 and got out with us after 1.
I wouldn't bother with a caddie, they're complete arses, but if you insist the caddie fee is about £50 and you should top £20.

I'd pop down to the starters hut today and have a chat about hiring clubs etc.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:52 am

Super

No chance of you letting robo join your game?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:27 am

super_realist wrote:
robopz wrote:Ok Super... Looks like Thursday or bust for TOC.  

Robo, you can rent them from the Links Trust at the course. Speak to them next to the putting green at the first tee.

Word of warning. I played with a Saffa on Saturday, the queue for singles started at an outrageous 01:30 AM. He joined at about 05:30 and got out with us after 1.
I wouldn't bother with a caddie, they're complete arses, but if you insist the caddie fee is about £50 and you should top £20.

I'd pop down to the starters hut today and have a chat about hiring clubs etc.

Excellent. I didn't realize rentals were right there on site. Caddie is must for me though, the last time there they were actually kind of a hoot... But it's been about 15 years...

Thanks again... Headed over there right now.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 am

McLaren wrote:Super

I'm at work today Mac. Hope Robo gets out early. Weather forecast for this afternoon is shocking.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:23 am

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

I'm at work today Mac. Hope Robo gets out early. Weather forecast for this afternoon is shocking.

As you will know... Rain, rain, rain this morning too Super. It's not that hard rain, but it's still too much for somebody who didn't come over here prepared with proper rain gear to play golf. I was up early this morning and pretty sure i could have gotten out early, but I took a pass.  20 years ago I'm sure I'd have gone anyway, but now in my mid 60's, I just ain't that guy anymore who's willing to be miserable just to say he did. Oh well... {{{sigh}}}

I think I'm just going to join the rest of 'em and hop the train down to Edinburgh.  Anyway thanks for your tips, I just kind of guessed wrong on which day to try to play.  Yesterday would have been perfect... I've been here before, and I know better, I should have given myself more flexibility on which day to play... Oh well...

A little help with St Andrews...  Receiv11

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Shame Robo.

Still, you'd have shot 62 anyway. It's just too easy...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:15 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Shame Robo.

Still, you'd have shot 62 anyway. It's just too easy...
 I never played 18 holes of golf that I didn't shoot 62... Somewhere along the line... Very Happy

But it's OK. I played it before on prior trips, so it wasn't like a Now or Never kind of thing. If it would have been, I'm sure I would have gone ahead with it. Instead we ended going down for a nice day in Edinburgh.  Weather cleared up nicely later on, at least down there.

And as for St Andrews itself, this has actually been more interesting than my past golf buddy trips.  I've got a chance to takie in a lot more of the town other then just the golf and pubs from prior trips.. so all is good.  And hopefully will be back in 2 years, just wifey and I next time without the rest of the herd.  Anyway on to Aberdeen tomorrow... I'm out. They've just about run me to death...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down